Frontier FiOS page on DSLReports

Review by Mannus See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "works, better than advertised speeds"
Bad "CS is pain to work with. Long hold queues"
Overall "works"

·Vonage
08-2010 Part of the Frontier switch over from Verizon. No service hiccups thus far. I am internet only on Cat5e to my D-Link DIR-655 router and get 25/8 speeds on my 15/5 package consistently.

Pre-sales, install co-ord, and tech supp I rated as average only because they do not apply in my particular situation. Ordering and install was done previously and I have not needed tech support since initial install.

See my Verizon FiOS review.

01-2011 - So far service has been problem free since the transition to Frontier.
Seeing ~25/8 speeds on my 15/5 connection rather consistently.

04-2011 Switched out my DIR-655 for Samknows WNR3500L Gigabit router back in February of 2011 and noticed a slight increase in throughput. Service has been rock steady. Speeds average ~23/~22 up and down respectively.

12-2011 Called CS (2 hour ordeal) to get current pricing which is 35.99 for 15/5 tier plus 5.00 additional for internet only. 9.00/month saving and still better than advertised speeds.

06-2012 Service is still performing above average with almost symmetrical ~25/~25 speeds on a 15/5 plan. Don't know how much longer it will last as I may have to move.

08-2012 Frontier finally caught up with me and adjusted by speed to ~15/5. No more fluff

11-2012 1st service call/tech visit in 6 years. Had ONT replaced after loosing connection. Tech was competent and friendly. Service call was almost three hours. He even called me the next day to make sure everything was still working.

04-2013 Bumped by package up to the 25/10 tier. 49.99 month to month

04-2014 Moved to a new place and managed to get a 5.00 monthly credit after I informed Frontier comcast was offering me 50/10 for 50.00. I am happy w/ my current tier and now I get to save some money also.

member for 8.4 years, 3826 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mhavlovick See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "The Price"
Bad "Unreliable for Gaming/VOIP"
Overall "Great for everything but real-time applications"

I was previously a Comcast customer and the internet connection was great, but I felt the price was too high. I got tired of the "I'm going to cancel" game in order to get a decent price and I was told by others the Frontier FiOS was great and reasonably priced... So I switched.

Frontier FiOS is probably great for the customer that does web browsing, File downloads, media streaming, etc, but not for a gaming or VOIP without frequent disconnections. Running smoke pings haven't turned up anything significant, but the last few times I've played online, I had a ping to google running and confirmed I was getting "request timed out" messages during the time I was getting the disconnects. Pinging my first hop never returned any lost packets during this time, so I suspect that it's just Frontier's network/infrastructure that's the cause.

The order process could be better. I had issues with their website while trying to order online, but ordering by phone was at least satisfactory.

The install process went great. The Tech was extremely knowledgeable and worked quickly, efficiently and took great care in not doing any damage to the property for the install.

I am going to contact Frontier support and probably give it another month to see if anything improves before going back to Comcast.

Comments:

Review by Cyberian75 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Solid Connection"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I wouldn't switch"

My original review is at »/comment/59329

The transition from Verizon to Frontier was as smooth as possible. But then, I don't have TV with them. I just hope they don't put any caps.

UPDATE 10-25-2011:
I upgraded to their new 25/25 plan with a 2-year contract for $43.69 a month. I had to ask them to reboot my ONT a day after to get the change, though, so it wasn't that smooth. Anyway, I'm now getting 26/25 max. Sweet!

UPDATE 03-15-2012:
Their system conversion screwed up my tier profile, so I was only getting 15 down. A field tech had to come out to contact someone to recreate it after verifying the problem. Unsurprisingly, they've also screwed up my 2-year contract that I agreed to on October 24, 2011. I'm obviously not happy.

UPDATE 03-17-2012:
I called in to inquire, and surely enough, they couldn't find my contract; however, my monthly fee didn't change. So I agreed to a 2-year contract for a 5% discount. Now I get around 26/23 max.

UPDATE 10-10-2013:
I was having some kind of DHCP issue for 3 days; i.e., my router couldn't pull an IP address unless I call in and ask them to connect me manually. I had to call in 7 times, and a dispatch was scheduled finally; however, the issue resolved itself on the scheduled day. Thereafter, it's been rock solid and even faster. I get 26/25 max.

member for 10.1 years, 2749 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by podamis314 See Profile

• Location: Burnsville,Yancey,NC
Good "Nice competent staff people"
Bad "service cuts out many times each day"
Overall "install another server for our area ?"

The service quits throughout the day and into the early evening. Techs have been to the house 3 times to try to fix the system. The 4th visit is pending as I write this. The techs we've met seemed competent and were very professional, same for the call center people whom we've contacted about 8 times. We are weary of calling- 15 min to half an hour on hold going through the litany of explaining the problem, unplugging and resetting to no effect then scheduling a tech to visit. Instead of calling we usually just give up - do something else and try again an hour later. We only call when we have time to wait The number of outages is frequent averaging several times per day especially an hour so after about 7:30pm and somewhat less frequently after7:30pm. These outages usually go on for about an hour for up to 5 hours. PLEASE INSTALL ADEQUATE SERVER CAPACITY FOR THE SYSTEM - IMHO THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURES. YOU HAVE COMPETENT EMPLOYEES .

Comments:

Review by Chawk12 See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "Consistant internet speeds"
Bad "A landline I rarely use"
Overall "Better deal than what I was getting from Comcast"

Fios triple play. 15/5 M internet, $19.99 a month. Digital phone unlimited,$28 a month Extreme HD TV has all the sports channels I want. $74.99. HBO: $16.99. DVR STB $15.99

Love the internet speed and reliability. TV is a better deal than what Comcast was charging me.

Techs were very helpful on the set up.

Comments:

Review by sir didymus See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
Good "At least Frontier is still interested in Internet Service"
Bad "They really want to price you out of FiOS TV now"
Overall "Unbundle it! Ditch Frontier for TV."

As a long time FiOS customer (way before it was Frontier), I was dismayed to hear that my bill would raise from $90/mo (pre-tax) to $170/mo (pre-tax) due to the "end of bundling discounts that Frontier can no longer offer".

In working through this process, I found that the Internet service was only $50 and that the TV would add $90/mo for the service I used to pay $45 for. Adding phone service would add about $10 after they give you a $10 bundle credit because you took the phone.

I think it's pretty obvious they really don't care to sell FiOS TV any more either. All FiOS TV bundles on their web site state "call for pricing" now.

I only had the phone line because it was required to set up the $90/mo bundle two years ago. To this day, all Frontier bundles must include phone service because Frontier is "here to stay" like that. It mostly worked, but who REALLY needs a land line these days?

I chose to unbundle and go to $50/mo for FiOS 25 Mbps Internet only. It seems this is what Frontier really wants you to do anyways.

Comments:

davegtestr

join:2001-11-07
Bothell, WA

Yeah, Fios tv is stuck in the rut.

I agree, my FiosTV Extreme is at $75 per month (unbundled). It includes everything but the Fox Sports East/Central West and the .tv channels.
However, I can get AAA/Directv Premiere for $70, including all of the movie channels ($36/mo. from Frontier) for the first. Yes, the second year it does go up $30.

Frontier at Everett Mall signed me up for a 1 year Double-play without me agreeing, though it is good at $71 for 35/15 MB and Phone. My Frontier bill with 1 HD, 1 cablecard, 2 SD, 1 adapter boxes is now over $165 and will be going up 35 or 50 a month as discounts fall off.

Review by darcilicious See Profile

• Location: Forest Grove,Washington,OR
Good "No drastic changes for me with the transition"
Bad "Online website for account management (bills, etc) is flakey as hell"
Overall "I'm with Frontier until they start dumping channels or raising prices"

December 2012
Nothing new to report. Haven't changed our package, still getting the advertised speed for the most part though upload isn't quite as consistent as it once but not a deal breaker. Not on a contract, still have the old (2009) Extreme HD package the only new channel not included has been FSCHD but oh, well.

July 10, 2010

Bad point:
* Noticed the other day that none of the episodes for HD TV shows have been updated past 6/30. Once again, VOD via Verizon/Frontier proven to be worthless. (There was about 6+ months starting mid-Fall '09 where Vz was weeks behind or completely missing episodes via VOD).

July 6, 2010

Good points:
* No change in speed (I have 25/25 and got 26/23 this morning to a good/consistent speed test site that I use regularly)
* No change in channel line up, or other TV programming like VOD

Bad points:
* Trying to access my account info (bills, etc) has been a nightmare all day. Earlier, the pages weren't even rendering correctly (in either Firefox or IE). And now this evening, the website returns "http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
* Us ex-Verizon customers are a long way from being integrated into Frontier systems, if it ever actually happens completely. Frontier basically received cloned versions of Verizon's site, so we're totally separate and I can't help but wonder how well they'll be able to maintain it.

Not much else to say at this point though I'm curious to see if we ever receive new channels, if various web-based services (access to DVRs and the like) are ever re-implemented by Frontier, and what kind of IMG updates we receive, if any.

member for 13.3 years, 4784 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TSUFtWayne See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Very fast Internet, probably the fastest internet available in this area"
Bad "Old Equipment (Outdated Actiontec Router), VERY POOR C.S., Terrible Wireless Sgnal Degradation @only 35ft from Router!"
Overall "I'm in the process of wiring the whole house with CAT 6 Ethernet Cable to ensure I get the speed I'm paying for, 35/25"

This is the company (Frontier) that bought the Ft. Wayne/Allen County Market from Verizon when Verizon bowed out to focus on their wireless business & get out of the Internet, Phone & TV Business. Approximately 8yrs ago Verizon came into town & decided to enter the TV, Phone & Internet business with a huge bonus to everyone living here by dropping ALL NEW FIOS underground cable. They wired the whole city & all the outlying areas in Allen County as well & from day one we ordered the whole package. It was by far the best for not just internet service, but also for TV & Phone service too. They were unbeatable in almost every area, including terrific CS. Things were great until Frontier took over & now it's an absolute nightmare. Frontier wasn't prepared to handle a market of this size (about 500,000 people in the Fort Wayne/Allen County Area). Aside from being overwhelmed & understaffed they also managed to close many of the CS centers here in the city, & left only one of them open! It's been a couple of years since they took over & they're by far the worst company I've ever dealt with from not just a CS standpoint, but also because they don't keep up with their current equipment, nor do they seem to know how to maintain or effectively utilize their network control center equipment, because just calling CS with an issue will often result in you losing your service for days, sometimes weeks without any end in sight & despite multiple calls that get routed to nearly every state in the Lower 48. Clearly they just don't have a good system for CS computer training or for Field Techs. It's basically like rolling the dice on what you'll get when you call CS & ask for a Tech to come out. Anything, & I'm not exaggerating, can happen. From them completely screwing up your connection, to Field Techs that don't know or understand basic network terminology when you try to get questions answered. If it weren't for the fact that they still have the fastest internet available here (really this is only because Verizon installed all new FIOS Cable in the area) then we'd be with Comcast or one of the other many optional Internet Service Providers here in Fort Wayne. We did dump their TV service & we REALLY miss Verizon & have hopes they'll return, but it's not looking too likely. As for the chance Frontier will get better, well, I still have an old Actiontec Router that Frontier simply put their sticker over the Verizon Logo on & has been in use since the lines were installed here in the early 2000's. This is common practice though, as I have friends who've got Motorola HD DVR boxes with Frontier Stickers covering the front part of the DVR that had the Verizon logo on it. It's clear that updating their equipment isn't in the cards for Frontier anytime soon, & what they don't understand is more & more folks in Fort Wayne are going back to Comcast & other providers simply because of the absolutely terrible & inadequate CS Frontier "provides". It's almost become a joke here in town & I hope no one has to go through the consistent nightmare we've had to endure since Frontier took over the market here & ruined the best FIOS System I've ever had the pleasure of being online with. I know many folks have written letters to the editor of our local paper, complained to Frontier & even gone to the extent of complaining to the BBB & Consumer Affairs in some cases. Yeah, it's really THAT BAD!!!

Comments:

Review by kegill See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "When it works, it's great"
Bad "On hold for support 2 hours today"

UPDATE 8:53 pm, 30 Sept :
Tech support now says 24-48 hours before the WA DNS issue is fixed.

Just got off the phone with tech support, who confirmed that I cannot change DNS servers even though it looks as though you can do so in the admin interface on the router. "You can only use our DNS servers." No response to why the policy is different from Verizon's, which provides a "how to" guide on bypassing their DSN assistance.

*** Original post ***

Apparently a DNS server went down in Washington state today. But there's nothing that I can find on the Frontier.com website with service status. [*]

So I was on hold for 61 minutes before I got to a tech ... who told me about the (corrected) outage and had me test the line. It was back up. Five minutes after I hung up, I couldn't access Google again. Ping worked, traceroute broken at the router. Two separate calls to support; each call was summarily disconnected at 30 minute wait time.

Our service is 20Mbps/5Mbps. We usually get this or pretty close to this. Sometimes it's half this rate, though.

We are a double-play account. We have had periodic artifacts (pixelation) on DVR recorded shows. We watch PBS and SciFi channels the most -- and almost no live TV. We watched HD Movies this week and had some pixelation there. Frontier has changed our tuner box once. Our modem is still 10/100.

Couldn't log in to the new (yet another redesign) online BillPay today.

We were Verizon FiOS customers, customers who were sold to Frontier so that Verizon could concentrate on more densely populated (more financially lucrative) markets.

[*] But I use OpenDNS ... so now I'm really confused.

Comments:

Review by wesm See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Very fast, amazing picture quality; it's FiOS, it works"
Bad "No online services at all outside of Pac12 streaming, no more symmetrical tiers"
Overall "Better than Comcast, stable outlook now that Frontier is somewhat committed"

This review covers two periods of service: First is my initial year in one apartment, second is after a move to a new apartment.

First apartment, August 2011:

Ordered FiOS Internet via the web site back when Frontier still used Verizon's back end. Television was completely blank; couldn't order. This was during Frontier's "dark" period of thinking it wanted out of the TV delivery business. Called to ask about changing the date because our move got rescheduled (this will become a theme), was proactively offered an $89.99/mo bundle for FiOS Extreme HD and 25/25 Internet, same price as in Verizon territories. Took that with glee, added three CableCARDs to order. Install was scheduled for 9 days in the future, or 2 days after move-in.

The move-in install went well, except that our apartment had a shared ONT setup which made life very difficult. Speeds were limited to 20/5, though initially we didn't get anything better than about 16/4. Two weeks of troubleshooting later this was fixed when Frontier found a provisioning error in all shared ONTs that was putting people on a 15/2 tier with "fluff." After, the connection worked at exactly 20/5. TV service "just worked," and worked well. No STBs for our account, just CableCARDs. Did take a free HD STB for a month; Motorola STBs are junk, fled back to TiVo.

At about month 9, the stupid VDSL bridge they used on the shared ONT started flaking out. Rebooting the bridge was the only way to get service restored. Lived with this because we knew we were moving anyway and didn't have the time to deal with it.

During this period, all online services died after being moved to Frontier's back end systems. No more ability to send CableCARD refreshes via the Internet or even look at what features my account allegedly had. The bill was visible and could be paid; that's it. Couldn't even look up addresses online to see if they qualified for FiOS, which made move planning all the more fun.

Second apartment, September 2012:

Move set for a specific date, had to call Frontier and ask to change it three times due to--ah ha--changes in our move plans. Frontier was obliging each time. Finally set for the day after move-in. Tech arrived at 2PM for an afternoon appointment and immediately set about doing the ONT install. About three hours later, everything was done and services moved over. He even got the data service put on Ethernet, just like I wanted.

Of course, everything moved EXACTLY as before, so I still had 20/5 even though we now have a dedicated ONT. Called Frontier sales on Saturday afternoon to get 35Mbps service. No problem! "It will be provisioned on Monday, tech might need to do some outside work," says the CSR. That's odd, but whatever. Sunday morning, shiny new speeds. Monday morning, tech is outside the apartment. He isn't needed; he thought he was there for a brand new install. Oh well, he goes away, speeds still fantastic.

One thing of note: In the past, swapping equipment with Frontier meant asking for a box and THEN they'd take it off the bill. I dropped two CableCARDs and received two (gigantic) boxes for them, but noticed in the bill that printed a day later that the equipment was already gone. Nice touch, would be nicer to actually do those changes online without having to call someone.

In short:

- Rock solid speeds now that I'm on a dedicated ONT.

- Friendly, if slightly untrained on FiOS, CSRs.

- Reasonable price for the amazing speed and excellent picture quality. At this time: Comcast in this area charges $58.95 standalone for downloads of 30 burstable and 20 standard/uploads of 6. Frontier charges $59.95 for full-time 35/15. Comcast doesn't have an Internet bundle higher than 20Mbps ($119.95 for new customers; $139.95 after first 12 months of a two year contract), Frontier's 35 Internet and Extreme HD is charged to me at $134.95.

- Symmetrical tiers have gone away. Customers can keep them, but "new" installs, like mine, get the new speeds of 15/5, 25/10, or 35/15. 50/20 is not offered in Washington.

- Absolutely no online services unless you want Pac12. No HBO GO, no account changes, nothing. All their CSRs are in the United States (as of this writing) which is nice because you'll be chatting with them at least a couple times a year if you want anything changed.