Frontier FiOS page on DSLReports

Review by wesm See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Very fast, amazing picture quality; it's FiOS, it works"
Bad "No online services at all outside of Pac12 streaming, no more symmetrical tiers"
Overall "Better than Comcast, stable outlook now that Frontier is somewhat committed"

This review covers two periods of service: First is my initial year in one apartment, second is after a move to a new apartment.

First apartment, August 2011:

Ordered FiOS Internet via the web site back when Frontier still used Verizon's back end. Television was completely blank; couldn't order. This was during Frontier's "dark" period of thinking it wanted out of the TV delivery business. Called to ask about changing the date because our move got rescheduled (this will become a theme), was proactively offered an $89.99/mo bundle for FiOS Extreme HD and 25/25 Internet, same price as in Verizon territories. Took that with glee, added three CableCARDs to order. Install was scheduled for 9 days in the future, or 2 days after move-in.

The move-in install went well, except that our apartment had a shared ONT setup which made life very difficult. Speeds were limited to 20/5, though initially we didn't get anything better than about 16/4. Two weeks of troubleshooting later this was fixed when Frontier found a provisioning error in all shared ONTs that was putting people on a 15/2 tier with "fluff." After, the connection worked at exactly 20/5. TV service "just worked," and worked well. No STBs for our account, just CableCARDs. Did take a free HD STB for a month; Motorola STBs are junk, fled back to TiVo.

At about month 9, the stupid VDSL bridge they used on the shared ONT started flaking out. Rebooting the bridge was the only way to get service restored. Lived with this because we knew we were moving anyway and didn't have the time to deal with it.

During this period, all online services died after being moved to Frontier's back end systems. No more ability to send CableCARD refreshes via the Internet or even look at what features my account allegedly had. The bill was visible and could be paid; that's it. Couldn't even look up addresses online to see if they qualified for FiOS, which made move planning all the more fun.

Second apartment, September 2012:

Move set for a specific date, had to call Frontier and ask to change it three times due to--ah ha--changes in our move plans. Frontier was obliging each time. Finally set for the day after move-in. Tech arrived at 2PM for an afternoon appointment and immediately set about doing the ONT install. About three hours later, everything was done and services moved over. He even got the data service put on Ethernet, just like I wanted.

Of course, everything moved EXACTLY as before, so I still had 20/5 even though we now have a dedicated ONT. Called Frontier sales on Saturday afternoon to get 35Mbps service. No problem! "It will be provisioned on Monday, tech might need to do some outside work," says the CSR. That's odd, but whatever. Sunday morning, shiny new speeds. Monday morning, tech is outside the apartment. He isn't needed; he thought he was there for a brand new install. Oh well, he goes away, speeds still fantastic.

One thing of note: In the past, swapping equipment with Frontier meant asking for a box and THEN they'd take it off the bill. I dropped two CableCARDs and received two (gigantic) boxes for them, but noticed in the bill that printed a day later that the equipment was already gone. Nice touch, would be nicer to actually do those changes online without having to call someone.

In short:

- Rock solid speeds now that I'm on a dedicated ONT.

- Friendly, if slightly untrained on FiOS, CSRs.

- Reasonable price for the amazing speed and excellent picture quality. At this time: Comcast in this area charges $58.95 standalone for downloads of 30 burstable and 20 standard/uploads of 6. Frontier charges $59.95 for full-time 35/15. Comcast doesn't have an Internet bundle higher than 20Mbps ($119.95 for new customers; $139.95 after first 12 months of a two year contract), Frontier's 35 Internet and Extreme HD is charged to me at $134.95.

- Symmetrical tiers have gone away. Customers can keep them, but "new" installs, like mine, get the new speeds of 15/5, 25/10, or 35/15. 50/20 is not offered in Washington.

- Absolutely no online services unless you want Pac12. No HBO GO, no account changes, nothing. All their CSRs are in the United States (as of this writing) which is nice because you'll be chatting with them at least a couple times a year if you want anything changed.

member for 15.2 years, 5649 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by danyune See Profile

• Location: Edmonds,Snohomish,WA
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Absolute Awful"

I don't know how people can think this disgusting internet is worth it at all.

My internet constantly dies and I have to tether my cell phone internet.

When I had comcast, I had 0 issues whatsoever. No downtime, no bandwidth issues, no latency issues, nothing.

I have the 25mbps/25mbps package and I can't even maintain a 1mbps upload to a streaming service.

Once my contract is over I'd rather push my luck with another random internet service because frontier deserves a fat 0.

Comments:

Cyberian75

join:2004-03-16
Beaverton, OR

Support

Have you called in for support?
bigred1324

join:2009-07-27
Fort Wayne, IN

support

Call into support. They were really helpful when I had similar issues.

wesm
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA

Please, call support.

I'm in the same area as you and haven't had this problem at all.

Review by hahahaha7 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
Good "Awesome 35/35 service for under $53 a month"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "awesome if you have access to it"

Didn't want TV and Comcast was done giving me promos, found this deal on Frontier which is cheaper than the Burst Comcast price for 2.5x Download and 17x upload speeds. Couldn't be happier.

Comments:

Review by mr_slick See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "Same Verizon FIOS line/hardware"
Bad "Sometimes routing, DNS servers, Support"
Overall "Glad I'm still on an almost always rock solid fast line"

So once upon a time there was a dream of FIOS coming to my area for a low low price with no contracts or bundling required.....

Here is my history (in US$ and Kbps):

Verizon 3000/768 DSL -- OK, but getting slow $40 (if you include the landline and all the fees.

Verizon 10000/2000 FIOS -- HELL YA I'VE GOT FIBER!!! $42 (thats it!, no "you have to subscribe to.... also crap)

DSL Extreme FIOS 10000/2000 -- Verizon told me they were upping my rate and there was nothing I could do... although I would get 15/5 instead of the 10/2. I dumped them and went to the reseller DSL Extreme for like $1 more total = $43

Then was told Frontier was the new chief in town and they would NOT be reselling to DSL Extreme...... so now I was forced with keeping my beloved fiber for more money or going to comcast (for more money).

After a full day of telling them "NO SIR I ALREADY HAVE A LINE / ONT IN MY HOUSE, please just transfer my account info/give me an IP" I was back up and running for $55 for 15000/5000Kbps.

I still have the old account active (they still send me a bill telling me I have a $1.70 credit balance). I have tried to close it. I had to change DNS servers recently because they redirect you (I am using the old ones I did with Verizon).

I bought a new router when I saw they added a port forward rule to modify the router that you cannot delete.

OTHER THAN THAT IT IS GREAT-- USUALLY REALLY FAST, I almost always get 15.9Mbps down when maxing it out and about 4.8Mbps up.

###update i recently discovered that it might be possible for me to get 25/25 for $42/mo (because of a thread in the frontier forum), so i went and looked online. it took me forever to login, because i have never used their portal and did not have a phone number and did not know my acct#... finally was able to get in and saw that they did not offer the 25/25 deal, but i was eligible for 35/35 for the same $55 i was paying... so i jumped on it and am super happy-- getting ~38Mbps up and down now!

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Painless switchover from Verizon FIOS"
Bad "Poor DNS servers"
Overall "Kinda slow for FIOS, considering upgrading to their 24/24 for not much more"

I had an existing Verizon FIOS business account that was transferred to
Frontier about 10 months ago, for my SOHO operation. Five fixed-IPs, no restrictions. The
switchover was nearly completely transparent, with no increase in price.
The transfer included changing the IPs. While slow to get around to it,
the IP change itself was quick and painless, tech support was professional, no on-site visit required.
Probably helped that I knew
what to do. Anyway, I have two minor complaints. First, after the change
they still haven't figured out how to set up automatic billing, and I've
given up trying to chase it down by phone, email, etc. Second, their
default DNS servers are very slow and tend to redirect to advertisements
when a mistyped or nonexistent site, so I now use DNS servers at a
nearby university which are fast and nearly error-free. Also, perhaps
download speeds lag sometimes, although it's hard to pin it down. Maybe
due to too many Netflix streamers? Mostly I get the speed I contracted for originally with Verizon.
Frontier offers a faster plan (24/24) for not much more, and I'm considering switching if I can
convince myself that the higher speed will materialize.

The other player around here is Comcast but their business-class offer
doesn't come close to what I get for the price from Frontier (although I
use Comcast cable for TV).

-- DrJohn

(review was emailed from domain chromsource.com)

Comments:

Review by daves255 See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Speed, reliability"
Bad "Router configuration"
Overall "SO much better than Comcast or any other ISP I've had"

I have had FIOS for a couple months now and registered just to say how happy I am. I'm in the Redmond area and had read some reviews that made me a bit nervous, but it is seriously awesome.

I have the 35 up/35 down service for $55 (available only to certain customers it seems based on location/if the equipment is there). Everything was easy to order and the guy who set it up was awesome.

The first router they gave me went bad quickly, but they quickly rushed a new one to me free of charge, and it worked perfectly. Now I have unlimited internet at advertised (or sometimes above advertised) speeds. I do max it out on a regular basis, so I can confirm it works in practice as well.

The router setup can be a pain. Some of the features of the router aren't explained at all, and I'm always worried I'm going to screw it up by changing the wrong setting.

Coming from ATT/Bellsouth which is metered, ADSL (with a very low upload and relatively low download speed), I am in love with my internet. I highly recommend taking the plunge!

Comments:

Review by BlitzenZeus See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "It works most of the time, and have no caps"
Bad "Still rely on Verizon for some of their services, and things keep getting worse"
Overall "Don't get them unless their competition is worse than they are."

Previously a Verizon FIOS customer. During the transition the connections started to get a bit unstable, but they have been quite stable for a while now, ping times have been consistently low. They still depend on Verizon's services for things like their e-mail, even though you are giving you a frontier address now, if you even bother to use their e-mail. Not much has changed.

I will say Frontier doesn't seem to be offering any good deals to keep customers outside of contract deals however, but it's them or Comcast, Frontier is the lesser evil of the two at the moment.

Update: They seem to be finalizing their transition. There has been a few extended outages, some packet loss, and interrupted connections making it much harder to stream anything at times. While they may not have any caps, with the direction they are heading that might change.

member for 14.8 years, 7300 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by nightjars See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, fast connection. Good job doing install."
Bad "Nothing bad yet"
Overall "Great alternative to Comcast internet"

I could not be happier with FiOS internet and the job that the installers and digging crews did at my house. Ping times along the whole west coast are around 50ms or below, and less than 100ms to the East coast. My VOIP is flawless over the connection. Very nice.

6 Month update - Still working very well. There was a 1 week rough patch when the network got switched from Verizon to Frontier, but it has been working fine ever since.

Comments:

Review by bigred1324 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "fast internet, good DirecTV deal"
Bad "connection reliability has gone downhill"
Overall "still better than comcast."

the only other option for high speed internet in my area is Comcast, and that was out of the question (capped internet and unreliable speeds) so going with fios was a no brainer.

We went with the Ultimate HD package with 35/35 internet plus phone. overall the cost is about $120 a month. The install was same day as the order which was a huge plus and the install took about 4 hours.

Overall we are really happy with the service.

Update: Back in March we took up the Frontier offer to switch out FiOS TV to DirecTV. The dtv is free for the rest of 2011 so with the downgrade to 25/25 internet and phone we are paying about half of what we were with the FiOS triple play. The only downside is dtv is not FiOS, so the SD quality is lacking.

Comments:

Review by joncellini See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "transition from Verizon was (mostly) seemless"
Bad "billing / tech support is horrible"

Internet service is reliable and speedy. Interaction with Frontier is utterly terrible.

member for 13.5 years, 3397 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago