Frontier FiOS page on DSLReports

Review by Cyberian75 See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Pretty Solid Connection"
Bad "Asymmetrical Speeds "
Overall "I would stay for now"

My original review is at »/comment/59329

The transition from Verizon to Frontier was as smooth as possible. But then, I don't have TV with them. I just hope they don't put any caps.

UPDATE 10-25-2011:
I upgraded to their new 25/25 plan with a 2-year contract for $43.69 a month. I had to ask them to reboot my ONT a day after to get the change, though, so it wasn't that smooth. Anyway, I'm now getting 26/25 max. Sweet!

UPDATE 03-15-2012:
Their system conversion screwed up my tier profile, so I was only getting 15 down. A field tech had to come out to contact someone to recreate it after verifying the problem. Unsurprisingly, they've also screwed up my 2-year contract that I agreed to on October 24, 2011. I'm obviously not happy.

UPDATE 03-17-2012:
I called in to inquire, and surely enough, they couldn't find my contract; however, my monthly fee didn't change. So I agreed to a 2-year contract for a 5% discount. Now I get around 26/23 max.

UPDATE 10-10-2013:
I was having some kind of DHCP issue for 3 days; i.e., my router couldn't pull an IP address unless I call in and ask them to connect me manually. I had to call in 7 times, and a dispatch was scheduled finally; however, the issue resolved itself on the scheduled day. Thereafter, it's been rock solid and even faster. I get 26/25 max.

UPDATE 11-21-2014:
To reduce my monthly bill somewhat, I "upgraded" to their 30/5 package for $34.99. I was paying $45.99 for 25/25, so I guess I'll be saving around $120/year. But I'm a little disappointed that the upstream is so slow. Also, I was told that my area can't get higher speeds than 30mb/s. I guess they are still using BPon. I'll switch to Google Fiber when it comes in.

UPDATE 11-26-2014:
The previous rep was wrong! I just upgraded to their 50/10 plan for $39.98 which includes the $5 auto-pay discount. Still, I wish they'd offer symmetrical plans.

EDIT: I'm getting the "fluff" -- almost double the upstream.

UPDATE 01-17-2015:
I ordered the 30/5 FiOS plan for my father earlier this month, and we just found out that they charged him $149.99 for installation which was supposed to be free. The CSR admitted it and said it'd be adjusted within 3 days. Have to wait and see, but this is the first time something like this happened. Oh, and they set up wireless instead of wiring the PC which halved the speeds. I had to wire it myself costing me around $15. I don't understand why they did it that way when wireless is slower in most cases.

UPDATE 01-20-2015:
There was an isolated outage which involved both FiOS and phone. FiOS was down for almost 2 days and phone is still down. My phone is a lifeline... I use it only for emergencies! That's the only reason I still have it. I'm now thinking about canceling it. Oh, and I'm no longer getting the "fluff" upstream speed.

UPDATE 01-22-2015:
My phone service is back on, but I had to report it via chat whom then contacted a network engineer to check the switch. Obviously, they didn't even bother to test it after the outage.

Anyway, I downgraded my FiOS to 30/5. According to the CSR, I'm not getting the auto-pay discount since my plan isn't a stand-alone service.

EDIT: Another CSR applied that discount with no arguments or problems. I don't know who to believe.

member for 11 years, 2949 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Dreamin'

quote:
I'll switch to Google Fiber when it comes in.

hahahahaha

Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Re: Dreamin'

Good question, as Portland Oregon has been on the Google Fiber list of 'things to do' for quite a while. But it will be interesting as to how far out of Multnomah county (or Portland proper for that matter) they end up actually building.

I did a lot of the burial engineering in the Washington and Clackamas Country areas for GTE WAY back in the early 70's when Oregon made all new build-outs for utility construction underground mandatory. I wonder if anyone has done any studies the past 40+ years looking at the weather related outages vr. say, Washington State.

Review by Mannus See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "works, better than advertised speeds"
Bad "CS is pain to work with. Long hold queues"
Overall "works"

·Vonage
08-2010 Part of the Frontier switch over from Verizon. No service hiccups thus far. I am internet only on Cat5e to my D-Link DIR-655 router and get 25/8 speeds on my 15/5 package consistently.

Pre-sales, install co-ord, and tech supp I rated as average only because they do not apply in my particular situation. Ordering and install was done previously and I have not needed tech support since initial install.

See my Verizon FiOS review.

01-2011 - So far service has been problem free since the transition to Frontier.
Seeing ~25/8 speeds on my 15/5 connection rather consistently.

04-2011 Switched out my DIR-655 for Samknows WNR3500L Gigabit router back in February of 2011 and noticed a slight increase in throughput. Service has been rock steady. Speeds average ~23/~22 up and down respectively.

12-2011 Called CS (2 hour ordeal) to get current pricing which is 35.99 for 15/5 tier plus 5.00 additional for internet only. 9.00/month saving and still better than advertised speeds.

06-2012 Service is still performing above average with almost symmetrical ~25/~25 speeds on a 15/5 plan. Don't know how much longer it will last as I may have to move.

08-2012 Frontier finally caught up with me and adjusted by speed to ~15/5. No more fluff

11-2012 1st service call/tech visit in 6 years. Had ONT replaced after loosing connection. Tech was competent and friendly. Service call was almost three hours. He even called me the next day to make sure everything was still working.

04-2013 Bumped by package up to the 25/10 tier. 49.99 month to month

04-2014 Moved to a new place and managed to get a 5.00 monthly credit after I informed Frontier comcast was offering me 50/10 for 50.00. I am happy w/ my current tier and now I get to save some money also.

Comments:

Review by Chawk12 See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "Consistant internet speeds"
Bad "A landline I rarely use"
Overall "Better deal than what I was getting from Comcast"

Fios triple play. 15/5 M internet, $19.99 a month. Digital phone unlimited,$28 a month Extreme HD TV has all the sports channels I want. $74.99. HBO: $16.99. DVR STB $15.99

Love the internet speed and reliability. TV is a better deal than what Comcast was charging me.

Techs were very helpful on the set up.

Comments:

Review by wesm See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Very fast, amazing picture quality; it's FiOS, it works"
Bad "No online services at all outside of Pac12 streaming, no more symmetrical tiers"
Overall "Better than Comcast, stable outlook now that Frontier is somewhat committed"

This review covers two periods of service: First is my initial year in one apartment, second is after a move to a new apartment.

First apartment, August 2011:

Ordered FiOS Internet via the web site back when Frontier still used Verizon's back end. Television was completely blank; couldn't order. This was during Frontier's "dark" period of thinking it wanted out of the TV delivery business. Called to ask about changing the date because our move got rescheduled (this will become a theme), was proactively offered an $89.99/mo bundle for FiOS Extreme HD and 25/25 Internet, same price as in Verizon territories. Took that with glee, added three CableCARDs to order. Install was scheduled for 9 days in the future, or 2 days after move-in.

The move-in install went well, except that our apartment had a shared ONT setup which made life very difficult. Speeds were limited to 20/5, though initially we didn't get anything better than about 16/4. Two weeks of troubleshooting later this was fixed when Frontier found a provisioning error in all shared ONTs that was putting people on a 15/2 tier with "fluff." After, the connection worked at exactly 20/5. TV service "just worked," and worked well. No STBs for our account, just CableCARDs. Did take a free HD STB for a month; Motorola STBs are junk, fled back to TiVo.

At about month 9, the stupid VDSL bridge they used on the shared ONT started flaking out. Rebooting the bridge was the only way to get service restored. Lived with this because we knew we were moving anyway and didn't have the time to deal with it.

During this period, all online services died after being moved to Frontier's back end systems. No more ability to send CableCARD refreshes via the Internet or even look at what features my account allegedly had. The bill was visible and could be paid; that's it. Couldn't even look up addresses online to see if they qualified for FiOS, which made move planning all the more fun.

Second apartment, September 2012:

Move set for a specific date, had to call Frontier and ask to change it three times due to--ah ha--changes in our move plans. Frontier was obliging each time. Finally set for the day after move-in. Tech arrived at 2PM for an afternoon appointment and immediately set about doing the ONT install. About three hours later, everything was done and services moved over. He even got the data service put on Ethernet, just like I wanted.

Of course, everything moved EXACTLY as before, so I still had 20/5 even though we now have a dedicated ONT. Called Frontier sales on Saturday afternoon to get 35Mbps service. No problem! "It will be provisioned on Monday, tech might need to do some outside work," says the CSR. That's odd, but whatever. Sunday morning, shiny new speeds. Monday morning, tech is outside the apartment. He isn't needed; he thought he was there for a brand new install. Oh well, he goes away, speeds still fantastic.

One thing of note: In the past, swapping equipment with Frontier meant asking for a box and THEN they'd take it off the bill. I dropped two CableCARDs and received two (gigantic) boxes for them, but noticed in the bill that printed a day later that the equipment was already gone. Nice touch, would be nicer to actually do those changes online without having to call someone.

In short:

- Rock solid speeds now that I'm on a dedicated ONT.

- Friendly, if slightly untrained on FiOS, CSRs.

- Reasonable price for the amazing speed and excellent picture quality. At this time: Comcast in this area charges $58.95 standalone for downloads of 30 burstable and 20 standard/uploads of 6. Frontier charges $59.95 for full-time 35/15. Comcast doesn't have an Internet bundle higher than 20Mbps ($119.95 for new customers; $139.95 after first 12 months of a two year contract), Frontier's 35 Internet and Extreme HD is charged to me at $134.95.

- Symmetrical tiers have gone away. Customers can keep them, but "new" installs, like mine, get the new speeds of 15/5, 25/10, or 35/15. 50/20 is not offered in Washington.

- Absolutely no online services unless you want Pac12. No HBO GO, no account changes, nothing. All their CSRs are in the United States (as of this writing) which is nice because you'll be chatting with them at least a couple times a year if you want anything changed.

member for 15.6 years, 5765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hahahaha7 See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
Good "Awesome 35/35 service for under $53 a month"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "awesome if you have access to it"

Didn't want TV and Comcast was done giving me promos, found this deal on Frontier which is cheaper than the Burst Comcast price for 2.5x Download and 17x upload speeds. Couldn't be happier.

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Painless switchover from Verizon FIOS"
Bad "Poor DNS servers"
Overall "Kinda slow for FIOS, considering upgrading to their 24/24 for not much more"

I had an existing Verizon FIOS business account that was transferred to
Frontier about 10 months ago, for my SOHO operation. Five fixed-IPs, no restrictions. The
switchover was nearly completely transparent, with no increase in price.
The transfer included changing the IPs. While slow to get around to it,
the IP change itself was quick and painless, tech support was professional, no on-site visit required.
Probably helped that I knew
what to do. Anyway, I have two minor complaints. First, after the change
they still haven't figured out how to set up automatic billing, and I've
given up trying to chase it down by phone, email, etc. Second, their
default DNS servers are very slow and tend to redirect to advertisements
when a mistyped or nonexistent site, so I now use DNS servers at a
nearby university which are fast and nearly error-free. Also, perhaps
download speeds lag sometimes, although it's hard to pin it down. Maybe
due to too many Netflix streamers? Mostly I get the speed I contracted for originally with Verizon.
Frontier offers a faster plan (24/24) for not much more, and I'm considering switching if I can
convince myself that the higher speed will materialize.

The other player around here is Comcast but their business-class offer
doesn't come close to what I get for the price from Frontier (although I
use Comcast cable for TV).

-- DrJohn

(review was emailed from domain chromsource.com)

Comments:

Review by daves255 See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
Good "Speed, reliability"
Bad "Router configuration"
Overall "SO much better than Comcast or any other ISP I've had"

I have had FIOS for a couple months now and registered just to say how happy I am. I'm in the Redmond area and had read some reviews that made me a bit nervous, but it is seriously awesome.

I have the 35 up/35 down service for $55 (available only to certain customers it seems based on location/if the equipment is there). Everything was easy to order and the guy who set it up was awesome.

The first router they gave me went bad quickly, but they quickly rushed a new one to me free of charge, and it worked perfectly. Now I have unlimited internet at advertised (or sometimes above advertised) speeds. I do max it out on a regular basis, so I can confirm it works in practice as well.

The router setup can be a pain. Some of the features of the router aren't explained at all, and I'm always worried I'm going to screw it up by changing the wrong setting.

Coming from ATT/Bellsouth which is metered, ADSL (with a very low upload and relatively low download speed), I am in love with my internet. I highly recommend taking the plunge!

Comments:

Review by nightjars See Profile

• Location: Bothell,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, fast connection. Good job doing install."
Bad "Nothing bad yet"
Overall "Great alternative to Comcast internet"

I could not be happier with FiOS internet and the job that the installers and digging crews did at my house. Ping times along the whole west coast are around 50ms or below, and less than 100ms to the East coast. My VOIP is flawless over the connection. Very nice.

6 Month update - Still working very well. There was a 1 week rough patch when the network got switched from Verizon to Frontier, but it has been working fine ever since.

Comments:

Review by Jean8 See Profile

• Location: Tualatin,Washington,OR

I started with Verizon FIOS. They were very flexible about the installation date. As I recall, they came out on a Saturday or a holiday so dh could be there. He loves those kinds of things. The install guy explained everything to us, including parental controls. We were stoked, and we loved the new setup. Everyone loved the new Internet speed (we were upgrading from Verizon DSL). I had a few minor problems in the beginning with billing issues, but the only one I remember is that they had given us the 3 months free of HBO/Cinemax. I didn't want them, and mostly I didn't want to get billed for them when the three months were up. I called, it was taken off the bill, life was good. I recommended Verizon FIOS to anyone who would sit still long enough for me to talk to them about it.

Then, Frontier took over. We don't use our Verizon email address, so we were unaffected by the name change there. Many people were unhappy, including my mother (meaning I had to take care of it). But, most people survived that.

I just got my March-April bill. On it was a charge for HBO/Cinemax. I didn't want to pay for it, and we don't watch it. But, this far into it (We've had it for at least 15 months now) a charge like that just pops up? I call. I was told that I had probably arrived at the end of my 3 month period. I assured her that could not have happened because we have had it so long. Sure enough, that is what happened, and she did take it off. It took me 7 minutes to talk to someone.

We are researching other options. Would I recommend it to my friends? Absolutely not. Will I recommend that my friends that have it go over their bill with a fine tooth comb? Absolutely.

Comments:

Review by gayboi3129 See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "Fast Speed, Great TV, GOOD Phone Quality , Good US Based Customer Service"
Bad "Internet Has Slow Down @ Night, May Lose TV SOON."
Overall "Great For What I Pay For The Most Part."

I ordered Frontier FIOS on 3/4/2011 the ordering was easy. I got there Ultimate HD package. It was only 4days for them to install. I have heard alot of good things about FIOS, but that was under Verizon not Frontier. The install was easy the guy was friendly and nice. There was already an ONT here so he didn't have to do much. The install took about an hour.

The internet was working good until the night came. The speeds slowed way down like i was on a cable connection . So i called Frontier and was told that it was a problem that they are away of. She has me do a speedtest and the site said i was in Kansas. But i live in Lynnwood, WA. They said that part of the new Ip address they just sent out. But besides that the service has been great.

member for 11.1 years, 167 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago