MEI.net page on DSLReports

Review by aac0894 See Profile

• Location: Middleville,Barry,MI
Good "Works great - and a better alternative than satellite and dial-up"
Bad "Inconsistent speeds during peak usage times"
Overall "If dial up and satellite are your only other options- don't hesitate to get this"

Overall, very happy with MEI, they did a temporary install at my request because they were not sure if was going to have good enough line of site to get service- but after a few months service still worked great so they did the final install. Even though thier site only advertised 3MB down / 1.00 up - they recently upgraded to the 6MB down / 2 meg up - which is the package I ordered.

Pros - Great alternative to satellite or dial-up. Ping times are rarely every above 75ms, so online gaming works great. Able to watch Netflix and download/stream most things without issue. The very few internet outages we have had have been short lived. Also data is unlimited - so no usage worries.

Cons - Biggest and really only negative I have is the speed of this internet seems to be very dependent on time of day and how many people must be using it. Doing a speedtest at off times I can consistently get 4.5-6 meg download speeds, however during the evenings I am lucky to get anything above 2.0 downloads. I find any time of day upload times are consistent around .95 and pings in the 40-80ms range. I realize most internet speeds take a hit during peak hours, but you really notice it when your cap is only 6.0 meg to begin with.

Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking to get internet where MEI is available - and a true DSL/Cable internet is not available.

Customer service the very few times I have even had to call them (all regarding initial install and scheduling final install) has been a pleasant experience.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

• Location: Mattawan,Van Buren,MI
Good "An ISP that actually cares."
Bad "Limited to line of sight."
Overall "Just plain works with no hassle."

We had Message Express Internet (mei.net) wireless internet installed 2 years and 3 months ago (Oct, 2010).  We signed up for 3 mbs / .50 mbs no caps service and unlimited local/long distance voip phone service.  The service is $69.95/mo for internet, and $19.95 for phone.  Along with much of the US, we live in a broadband wasteland, and were stuck with dial-up service.  Verizon abandoned our area after failing to provide DSL service. Mediacom cable was analog TV only, no internet.  Neighbors and friends with air cards or satellite complained a lot, so when mei became available, we decided to try it.  It’s a bit expensive compared to internet service in other areas, but beggars can’t be choosers when you live in broadband wasteland.  In actuality, the cost is not higher than what we paid for local phone service + long distance + dial-up internet.  Our family could not have survived much longer with dial-up.

The customer premise equipment is Alvarion 2.5 GHz Wi-Max gear and a Cisco-Linksys voip adapter.  Our base station is 4 miles away.  The installer took about 1 ½ hours to install the 8” octogonal antenna on the soffit, route an Ethernet cable to the signal injector in the basement, and explain things.  Very clean installation.  In 27 months of service, we’ve noticed only one outage, which lasted a few hours.  I believe it was due to an extended power outage at the base station.  It’s been very reliable. Snow, rain, and wind don’t seem to have any effect.  About a year ago, the phone did get a bit choppy because of latency issues, but that was quickly fixed.  I consistently get 40-55 msec pings, 2.85-3.00 mbs down and .48 mbs up, even during peak times.  Streaming video is no problem, and gaming also works well.

Customer support is great.  They’re local;  you call, and real people actually answer.  We had a slow-down issue early on, and a call to customer support had the tech out the same day.  It turned out my router went bad, not their equipment.  No charge for the truck roll.

Frontier is now the local telco.  To their credit, they’ve managed to do what Verizon couldn’t: extend DSL into our area.  DSL + phone would be somewhat cheaper, but we’re sticking with MEI.   The service just plain works, it’s consistent, reliable, and devoid of any aggravation.

(review was emailed from domain mei.net)

Comments:

Review by my2k2zx2 See Profile

• Location: Hastings,Barry,MI
Good "Everything"
Bad "Not one thing bad about their service."
Overall "Best option when cable/dsl are not available."

We have had MEI.net wireless high speed internet for almost a year now. We are very happy with this service. We are paying $90/month for the 3 meg download speeds and unlimited local/long distance VOIP service. (We were paying AT&T over $25/month just for local phone service. MEI was able to cancel our AT&T service and port our phone # to their VOIP service.)

Before we signed up we had Sprint mobile broadband. That was nice in the morning & late night use, but during the afternoon and evenings it was no faster than dialup so we decided to give MEI a try when our contract ended.

The service has been great, even works when the satellite dish cuts the tv signal out during heavy rain/snow.

Install took just over 1 hr but I had all the ethernet cables already ran in the house and to the install location. Only can see the antenna box on the roof, all the cables were hidden under the trim, very nice.

In the 1 year we have had their service, we had 1 issue and their local tech support had the issue resolved within a couple hours.

Glad to see someone has a high speed option in our area when AT&T, Comcast and Charter all say there is no demand for high speed. I really appreciate your offers you keep sending us only to say it's not available.

Comments:

Review by GorbGuy See Profile

• Location: Middleville,Barry,MI
Good "Someone that finally serves the area. Very consistent speeds."
Bad "Somewhat pricey"
Overall "For those without any other options, it's a great deal and not much more than satellite and no FAP."

I had MEI.net's Wi-MAX installed about a week ago. Speeds have been very consistent. I signed up for the 3Mb/512kb, with 1Mb upload increase, and have been seeing an almost constant 2.95 Mb/s / .96Mb/s speeds when running various speed tests. Ping times are perfectly acceptable, running anywhere from 30ms to 80ms, when testing from various locations through out North America.

Install went very well, taking about an hour for the roof mounted antenna install, a 50 foot ethernet drop, and a short overview of authenticating the antenna to my current router (and how to switch routers in the future.) The installer also pointed out a couple of trees that he recommended be trimmed up, to prevent any future signal interference, which I took care of. Installer was running a bit behind, but he called well in advance of the appointment to let me know he was going to be late. Very professional install.

Prices are somewhat high, at $69.99 for the 3Mb/512kb package, and an additional $9.99 for the 1Mb upload increase. But considering I was paying over $60 per month for dial-up ($45 for the phone line for dial up only use, and $15 for AT&T's dial-up access,) I can't complain too much. I've since dumped AT&T altogether, so in all, I'm really only paying $20/month extra for connection speeds 100+ times faster connection with a lot less frustration.

All in all, I'm perfectly happy with MEI.net's Wi-MAX Internet and would recommend it to anyone who has only satellite Internet as a high-speed option.

member for 11.1 years, 2714 visits, last login: a few hours ago