NetTalk page on DSLReports

Review by jsciiijd See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Petersburg City,VA
Good "Inexpensive, mostly reliable"
Bad "TECH SUPPORT!!"
Overall "Try them, but be ready to walk away if it doesn't work because you won't get much help."

·MegaPath
Yesterday, I posted a question to NetTalk Customer Support (because their Chat support was not available.) I quickly received an automated confirmation. That's the last thing I heard from them. It's 24 hours later. Their web site says my ticket hasn't even been assigned. I just want instructions for moving my phone number from an Ethernet DUO adapter to a WiFi DUO adapter.

Comments:

Review by imacamper See Profile

• Location: Citrus Heights,Sacramento,CA
Good "Not Bad When It Works"
Bad "Unreliable"
Overall "When It Quits and You Need Support, You'll Wish You Never Bought It"

Look past all the happy customers that have posted reviews but haven't owned or used this device for long. I bought a NetTalk Duo in April of 2012. Initially it was fine. Call quality was good to OK. I was using it as a second line for those times I needed to be on a long conference call for work and didn't want to tie up the main household line.

Then one day it quit working. Calls to tech support left me on hold for hours at a time. Then the call would end with some sort of trivial "try this" suggestion and "if you still have problems, call us back" which meant more hours of hold time. Finally in frustration, I took to social media and got a reply that way. Finally after about 2 weeks of back and forth along with many lost hours, my service was restored. This was close to my renewal period in April 2013. I can look past one issue and things were working again so I went ahead and renewed.

Things were good for a few more months and then call quality became crap. My network hadn't changed and I'm savvy enough to use a home router flashed with Tomato firmware so I can prioritize the NetTalk traffic. It was not my network. My customer support experience was no better this time. Many more wasted hours and little resolution.

Move forward to early Feb 2014. Again my Duo just quit working. I log into their site to find they have a new ticket system. I created a ticket on Feb 9th and as of today (March 31), I have yet to get a reply. I've posted to the ticket several times since but still nothing. I took to complaining on social media again and did receive a reply from some third party that said he was managing NetTalk's social media campaign and would get me help. Still nothing but crickets.

I have since given up on this company!!! I have no more time to waste and will not be renewing in April. I have moved to the new MagicJack Plus and so far it is much better than the original MagicJack I had for 5 years before trying NetTalk. While still not perfect, at as little as $20 per year the MagicJack Plus makes a great second line and is an exceptional value.

Comments:

Ripped Off

@comcast.net

Nettalk Duo

This is deception at it's best. They claim you can port your number, but not true in my case and the supposed customer service is only open for six hours when people are working and can not call them.

Found out Office Depot is the same. You buy it you are stuck with it. I have made my last Office Depot purchase.

Review by ncasino See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Bad "DO NOT BUY NETTALK DUO PROBLEM"
Overall "Buy Magic Jack no headaches"

We bought three NETTALK DUO and ALL OF THEM CONSTANTLY GO DOWN EVERY 2 or 3 hours. We requested tech support and could not get hold of them. We did the CHAT ROOM nobody is supporting them. We waited for 2 hours and not none of them. We let the all our nettalk expires after one year. Then now we see renewal notice. DO NOT BUY NETTALK since it does not worked. We went backed with MAGIC JACK and ALL OF THEM WORKS WITH NO PROBLEM. I AM REPORTING Nettalk to the Better Business Bureau. Try to see if you could talk them even the CHAT room this will tell you that they do not support their products. I have three of them and willing to give away since it is not worth a penny. For this review, I will be holding them for demonstration of this bad products. They should be removed at the Micro Center on anybody who is selling them.

Comments:

Patsy

@rylinkservices.net

Nettalk has NO customer support

Nettalk gadget in the beginning had good customer support. Now it has NONE. You cannot talk to a human and there's no one there in the "online chat". I finally got a reply email, automated response with a link but the link didn't work. I intend to tell as many people as possible NOT TO BUY this product because the is ZERO support. DIGUSTED

Sandy

@start.ca

Re: Nettalk has NO customer support

said by Patsy :

I very well agree with Patsy as NETTALK service is now the worse ever I've experienced. I've Vonage and Nettalk and when I put Nettalk no on Vonage Simulring feature and that messes up my vonage phone. I've written to Nettalk and no one has answered back to me since 1 week now. I'm also having problems with incoming calls and many times I make a call there is no answer,no ring no tone on the nettalk phone. Totally DISGUSTED.

robstee

@bell.ca

Re: Nettalk has NO customer support

I agree with the above there is no one to talk to and the online support I have never been able to get through to. I have been trying to contact someone and have not been able to in almost 2 years!! If it weren't for the low cost of the phone and "hey" it does work 80% of the time I would not continue to use it. I had no service last year for a couple of months (I could call out but no one could call back)
and I finally got a recorded phone message stating that they would give me a 3 month credit on next renewal and here I am renewal time and no credit and no response from on line support (that is the only way you have any hope in getting them) but there are always so many on line ahead of you (that # doesn't change) and after 30 minutes or so it says they are unable to assist you and will do so at another time. My advice find something else if you want "any" sort of customer support!! Rob, Guelph Ontario, Canada

Anongulus

@24.42.99.x
Nettalk's customer service has always been horrible. On the other hand, the service usually works well and it is SUPER DUPER cheap. If you have a problem, though, it may take a while. I want to renew my service but I really hope they stay in business!

mangolynn

@qwest.net
I purchased NetTalk earlier this month (Feb 2014) and have exactly the same problem. It is not easy to install, TOTALLY screwed up my wi-fi for my 2 computers and it is absolutely impossible to reach any customer service via phone, email, or anything else. Everything directs users to their "FAQ's". Great. But what if you don't have internet because their system screwed it up, and what if your issues aren't addressed. I emailed a week ago, got an automated reply that they'd opened a ticket, and absolutely no response since. I don't care if they give this product away. With no customer support... that's what it's worth. Nothing. Save your money. Forget nettalk.

• Location: L5B
Good "The NetTalk gadget is preferable to that of MagicJack which is in 2 parts"
Bad "It was a rare occasion when I was able to conduct a normal telephone conversation."
Overall "The amount of frustration this program cost me they can't pay me for it."

It's certainly would be cheap.  If it really worked.  I was subscribed for almost 1 year and had one problem after another.  Granted, some of the problems might have been solvable if I took the time to research how to fix them, such as sound quality, echos.  I am not blaming all the problems on the gadget because I can't be sure.  But frequently I would come home and there is no dial tone and I had to re-set everything.  Or I am talking to someone and my phone goes dead while they apparently could still hear me. Or I dial out and the phone immediately hangs up.  Or I dial out and it rings a few times and then I  get disconnected.

NetTalk expects you to pretty much solve all your own problems.  I believe that there is a problem with my gadget now

(it no longer connects, not because I don't know how, I've done it often enough) but because I think it's fried.  All their Tech Support had to tell me, twice, after explaining my problem in detail, is to wait for the red light and the green light etc etc which, I know, would work if the device was functioning properly but it isn't.  To get a replacement I would have to buy a new gadget which includes another year's subscription and which, to my regret, I already have paid for another year.  I emailed Customer Service saying I wanted my money back because Tech Support won't help me but got no answer - their web page does say that "all sales are final".  Isn't this exciting?

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Not too surprised.

My very inchoate impression is that NetTalk has seen better days.

If you care to state what your calling needs are (what country are you in, how much inbound minutes and outbound minutes do you use monthly, do you want equipment provided for you or can you go BYOD) then people might have other suggestions.

There are a variety of [good] VoIP services out there.

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Price, very functional and reliable, easy to transfer my land line number, easy to talk to customer service"
Bad "Worse than Vonage for a fax machine, and Vonage was pretty bad!"
Overall "$30/YEAR and works just as good as the $50/month land line!"

I've only called support once, and I was very pleased with that time (easy to understand the person, quickly resolved my cockpit error problem, and I didn't spend a lot of time on hold (might have been lucky, but that was my experience).

I don't need all the extra features - just voice calls, caller ID and the occasionally need for call waiting or 3-way calling. That's in the basic plan and it works well. And call quality is great, even when my internet goes out and I fall back to using my cell phone tethering!

I bought the netTALK DUO on sale at Fry's for $29.95, and except for the fact that I can't hook it up wirelessly It has worked flawlessly since.

Good experience - I had the phone working an hour after I brought it home!
Good experience - after I and my wife were comfortable with it (maybe a week), we called support and they walked us through changing our land line number to the netTALK phone and that worked flawlessly as well. Much to my surprise!

Bad experience - in spite of their promises, my FAX machine worked even less well than it had on Vonage. I would not recommend netTALK if you have to do any FAXes. If you can go to Kinko's for the occasional FAX, then it's great, though.

And after reading the negative reviews after writing this one (I was curious about what I was not noticing), it looks like netTALK is not so hot a choice in Canada. But for someone in the US, everything I said still holds!

Comments:

linicx
·TracFone Wireless

The reasons for reviews

The best reason is to give companies an idea of what they are doing right or wrong. The next best reason is to help readers avoid a bad product.

It always good to realize that just because A works well for you does not mean it will work well for B, or in any other country. I had a very bad experience with Vonage. I would not recommend it even though I know others who have a wonderful experience with it.

I read reviews very carefully before I buy. And because of this review I am thinking about learning more about NetTalk. I don't Fax so it is not an issue with me.

·TracFone Wireless

I did check

I looked at the NetTalk site and I find it very interesting and inexpensive enough. I don't think it will work for me as my telco Internet service is 10.00 Mbps Down and .080 Mbps Up. NetTalk web site states their product works best with a connection minimum of 0.125 Mbps Up and Down. I fear I will be unhappy with the phone quality because of my slow uplink speed.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX

Re: I did check

That is very true, most (maybe all) of the VOIP services need at least 1/8 Mbps and I notice a quality difference if I use the tethering feature on my Virgin Mobile phone that is usually around 1/4 Mbps.

Re: I did check

When I had cable the residential was 4/.80. VOIP quality was not very good. I was able to use the Business 10/2 for a week. The VOIP quality was wonderful the cost was double.

Review by tomgun See Profile

• Location: Kent,King,WA

when I try to make calls out of country 50% of time I just get a busy signell no matter what time of day or what number I call.
Called teck suppore but no support!!! Will not reup my contract Very poor company!!!

Comments:

Review by RushenYYZ See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Cheap, decent call quality when it works."
Bad "Not as reliable as it used to be, terrible customer service"
Overall "You get less than what you pay for."

·Net Virtua
I spend a lot of time on the phone with my fiance in Brazil. After a while I wasn't happy with the amount of money I was paying to Skype. (which is still a good service and a good option), but I was looking for something that is cheaper and does not require a PC like Magic Jack. In addition, every call I get from Brazil that uses MagicJack suffers from terrible call quality and I wanted something different. I may be relocating there soon and I would also like my friends to have a local number for them to reach me and I can call them from that is cheap. (GV is a lifesaver for txt messages).

So I did some research and found Nettalk. It had all the features that I wanted and read nothing but good reviews online.

1. Easy to setup (one line to the phone, other line to the router. EASY!)

2. Doesn't require a PC (only to register) to use

3. Device is small (luggage space is a premium)

4. Comparatively cheap

5. For my situation it's a perfect fit

Since there was about a 3 week delay from their website (this was before they started selling them at Walmart), I found somebody on Ebay that was selling it brand new, paid a little extra (like 10 more bucks and time was critical), got the device, registered it, set it up at home, then sent it off with a friend to Brazil.

I can honestly say I have been SATISFIED with this purchase (I've been using it for 3 months now). It has cut my Skype to go bill more than half, call quality has been outstanding (considering it is coming from the other side of the world), and it's a local call for both of us. My fiance has a slow 2Mbps down 300Kbps up DSL line (which drops about every other day) and like I said, the call quality is excellent.

I usually do not write reviews about products that I'm using, but I really feel compelled to write one about Nettalk and get their name out there with the other VoIP products.

If you talk to somebody on the other side of the globe frequently, and/or will be locating to another part of the globe (and cheap like me), you should definitely consider using Nettalk as a VoIP solution.

**Update 8/13/2012**

It's been a while since I've had the device and I thought I should update my review since my experience has changed with the device. I have relocated to Brazil and I use Nettalk to make phone calls to land lines in Brazil and to calls to the US. The service was working fine up until about a month ago. I can receive calls without any problems from the US and I can still make outbound calls... sometimes. For some reason more often than not the numbers that I dial are not registering with the Nettalk device. Whenever I have to make a phone call to the US or Brazil I get a busy signal. I switched phones to a dual line VTech DS6151 since I wanted to consolidate my local phone from the Cable company and have Nettalk on the same device in May. Again the service was working fine for 2 months and then I just couldn't make outbound phone calls anymore consistently.

So I called their tech support and after being on hold for about an hour and 30 minutes I finally got through to somebody. The tech support person said it has to be the phone I'm using since the entire prefix isn't being registered by the device. So naturally I had to hang up the Nettalk phone and I plugged in another phone to confirm and the issue still remained. I called tech support back and the hold time jumped to 4 hours, so I opened a trouble ticket explaining in great detail the problem I was having. The tech support rep responded, "what color is the light on the device." I responded, waited a week got a response and they said they're going to push a firmware update to the device. I rebooted the device and firmware was downloaded but the issue still remains.

However, I found a way around this. I have to go to my account on Nettalk.com and program speed dial numbers and then I'm able to successfully complete any call consistently. Since I'm pretty frugal and I should be moving back to the US within the next 14 months I'm going to put up with the inconvenience and probably switch to another VoIP provider when I move back unless they can push another firmware to resolve this problem.

So to summarize overall again it's a solid product when it's working. The value can't be beat, $120 a year for "unlimited" (I think its 2000 minutes a month in the fine print) calls to the US and land lines in Brazil. BUT if you have problems be prepared to grab a Snickers cause it's going to be a while. Their tech support is terrible (worse than Brazilian tech support actually) and I'm not convinced it's an issue with my phone since it was working for a couple of months without any issues.

***Update 8/31/2012***

I can finally dial DIDs normally. I requested an update to my ticket about 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Maybe they upgraded the firmware or something but it's working normally again.

**Update 12/10/2012***

So the busy signal issue came back and on a hunch I decided to swap phones and now the Nettalk device is working like it should. I was using the Vtech DS6151 dual line phone, I guess it's not compatible with the Nettalk device. I'm now using a Vtech 6219.

***Update 06/20/2013**

I'm done with NetTalk. The reason I used the device was to make international calls to Brazil and that stopped working 3 weeks ago. When I finally do get through to somebody at NetTalk support they say it will be fixed in 48 hrs but the problem still exists.

I'm going to buy an ATA device and switch over to voip.ms or Call Central. Looks cheaper, more reliable, I can actually get a hold of somebody for support, and actually looks fun to setup.

NetTalk was good while it lasted, if NetTalk had better support this would be an awesome product. I will not be renewing my service with NetTalk.

Comments:

Bcareful

@comcast.net

DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT-or you will likely be disappointed

Don't buy this product until you read all customer reviews. Sorry, NetTalk does not provide a spot for customers to provide feedback directly on their site - too bad as it would give the customers something to do while they wait for hours (literally) on hold waiting to get helped. Same number for tech support, sales and customer service try it 1-866-967-1063. When you call there are no options you are put on hold with everyone else and will get a message such as last week, "You are caller number 65 with an estimated wait time of 181 minutes" or today "you are caller 34 with an estimated wait time of 80 minutes." (Just to see if I could be served I have been waiting now for 78 minutes with "an estimated wait time of 34 minutes". You do get occasional messages letting you know your placement on hold and wait time which often goes up or sometimes down just a couple of minutes). You do get to listen to very, very, very, very annoying music which plays over and over in a loop while you wait. I anticipate getting cut off as their hours of operation are very poor and based on EST which does us on PST little good. They close at 1 on SAT and it has now passed that while I have been on hold, so I imagine that if I do not get cut off I will get a message when my turn comes in another hour or so that I need to "call back during our normal hours of operation."

Don't anticipate any response to your email, at least I have not received one yet. You can create a service ticket on line and you get a canned email back indicating someone will contact you, but I have not heard from anyone regarding the ticket either. No live chat.

Maybe they have only one employee trying to do it all????

The quality of calls is very poor. Often the other party cannot hear me and we have to hang up. I have to unplug the NetTalk device, wait for it to reboot and try the call again. The call quality even then is poor. Delayed voice with feedback and cuts in and out. I only use it as an emergency backup phone and rely on my cell phone as this is not reliable whatsoever.

If you want to pay for your item on line - with such a shabby company do you want to put your credit card information on-line to them? They do post that their site is secure, but they also make other claims too. Beware. You can pay by PayPal in increments of $1, $5, $10 and $20 for a ridiculous fee for each transaction. Yes, if you want to purchase $29 you will need to make six transactions to complete this one action for a ridiculous fee each time, so be prepared to actually be paying closer to $40 rather than $29. Then the amount you paid will be posted as a calling credit amount, not for service or product.

Do not purchase this item in a store or on-line. Buy it from NetTalk directly by calling them at 1-866-967-1063. If after waiting hours on hold you finally do reach someone, ask them about call quality and call hold time. If you do decide to buy, you will deserve what you get.

Go to their site www.nettalk.com and look for Live Chat it is not there. Look for a spot for customer review/feedback. It is not there. Look for separate numbers for service, sales, customer support and see it is not there. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!

A Zysk

@sbcglobal.net

NetTalk Duo

I have the same experience, I purchased the product and when I got home I have a lot of questions so I called the customer support and was 55th in line. I waited for 2 hours and 51 minutes to talk to someone and after that time when My call was answered I got a busy signal. I filed a report with them and got a ticket number but, after 72 hours no one has contacted my pertaining to my system. I took it back and got a full refund. With this kind of service how can you expect anyone to buy it. To me this is just another device that is a rip off.

elkabong

@190.234.174.x

NEttalk died

My Nettalk died after 3 months of use. IT completely fails to register. When I first purchased it , it only worked on ONE computer, red light on all 3 others, including 2 laptops. Now it has completely failed. what a piece of junk, I am in South American and I can't get a replacement nor any support.

Review by tjhacker87

• Location: Glenville,Gilmer,WV
Good "Cheap service for a voip line."
Bad "Number availibity is poor along with customer service and tech support."
Overall "If you dont care what state your number is in, go for it."

Had this service for over 2 years now and have yet to find a number
available in my whole state, lacking in customer service, have to wait an
hour on hold each time and then no straight answers or solutions. Though
if all you want is a dial tone, for the price you can't beat it.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Budeness See Profile

• Location: Marion,Grant,IN
Good "Overall cost (when it all worked)"
Bad "Customer support slow when it existed"
Overall "I will pay more hoping product/service is better"

Bought a year's service on the Duo Wifi, connected via ATT Uverse. Followed video tutorial and got things working soon after getting the hardware. Call quality usually fine, sometimes the lag (some of which is understandable) moved to annoying. FYI, I've had it about 10 months. I had to reboot device and occasionally the router about every 21 days. As time progressed, got to be every 36 hours. Switched from wifi to a hardwire connection which is what I wanted to avoid and that worked for awhile. Then that began the every 36 hours reboot dance. Sent a note asking for help and initially got a reply within 24 hours. When solution did not solve problem, things got slower, eventually leading to no communication.

My most recent problem is the service seems to have completely ceased. No lights of any kind on hardware device. Sent an email, was directed to try another phone as mine was probably faulty. Though I doubted it, I did try with a phone that I knew was operating properly. Checked the USB wiring, it was okay. Told this to tech support, no reply after a week. Tried to call and I kid you not was on hold for over an hour with elevator music before hanging up. Only message was a repetitive cycle of "thank you for waiting," no suggestion of how long wait might be or when might be a better time traffic-wise to call.

Tried another number to have my hardware device changed at my cost, it routed me back to the same number I had just spend over an hour on. I am stuck, out of options.

Comments:

Review by Snaps45 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Bad "Piece of Junk"
Overall "Don't waste your cash"

Nettalk Duo stopped functioning altogether. No incoming no out going calls can be made. Tech support replies with babble about powering off or resetting modem but does not actually read information I have provided. Just goes to standard excuse sheet and resends same dumb non-applicable suggestions for a dead unit. If you ever have a problem with your Duo you might as well throw it away. Tech and customer service are worse than useless. Time vampires wasting yours.