NetTalk page on DSLReports

Review by imacamper See Profile

• Location: Citrus Heights,Sacramento,CA
Good "Not Bad When It Works"
Bad "Unreliable"
Overall "When It Quits and You Need Support, You'll Wish You Never Bought It"

Look past all the happy customers that have posted reviews but haven't owned or used this device for long. I bought a NetTalk Duo in April of 2012. Initially it was fine. Call quality was good to OK. I was using it as a second line for those times I needed to be on a long conference call for work and didn't want to tie up the main household line.

Then one day it quit working. Calls to tech support left me on hold for hours at a time. Then the call would end with some sort of trivial "try this" suggestion and "if you still have problems, call us back" which meant more hours of hold time. Finally in frustration, I took to social media and got a reply that way. Finally after about 2 weeks of back and forth along with many lost hours, my service was restored. This was close to my renewal period in April 2013. I can look past one issue and things were working again so I went ahead and renewed.

Things were good for a few more months and then call quality became crap. My network hadn't changed and I'm savvy enough to use a home router flashed with Tomato firmware so I can prioritize the NetTalk traffic. It was not my network. My customer support experience was no better this time. Many more wasted hours and little resolution.

Move forward to early Feb 2014. Again my Duo just quit working. I log into their site to find they have a new ticket system. I created a ticket on Feb 9th and as of today (March 31), I have yet to get a reply. I've posted to the ticket several times since but still nothing. I took to complaining on social media again and did receive a reply from some third party that said he was managing NetTalk's social media campaign and would get me help. Still nothing but crickets.

I have since given up on this company!!! I have no more time to waste and will not be renewing in April. I have moved to the new MagicJack Plus and so far it is much better than the original MagicJack I had for 5 years before trying NetTalk. While still not perfect, at as little as $20 per year the MagicJack Plus makes a great second line and is an exceptional value.

Comments:

Ripped Off

@comcast.net

Nettalk Duo

This is deception at it's best. They claim you can port your number, but not true in my case and the supposed customer service is only open for six hours when people are working and can not call them.

Found out Office Depot is the same. You buy it you are stuck with it. I have made my last Office Depot purchase.

Review by ncasino See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Bad "DO NOT BUY NETTALK DUO PROBLEM"
Overall "Buy Magic Jack no headaches"

We bought three NETTALK DUO and ALL OF THEM CONSTANTLY GO DOWN EVERY 2 or 3 hours. We requested tech support and could not get hold of them. We did the CHAT ROOM nobody is supporting them. We waited for 2 hours and not none of them. We let the all our nettalk expires after one year. Then now we see renewal notice. DO NOT BUY NETTALK since it does not worked. We went backed with MAGIC JACK and ALL OF THEM WORKS WITH NO PROBLEM. I AM REPORTING Nettalk to the Better Business Bureau. Try to see if you could talk them even the CHAT room this will tell you that they do not support their products. I have three of them and willing to give away since it is not worth a penny. For this review, I will be holding them for demonstration of this bad products. They should be removed at the Micro Center on anybody who is selling them.

Comments:

Patsy

@rylinkservices.net

Nettalk has NO customer support

Nettalk gadget in the beginning had good customer support. Now it has NONE. You cannot talk to a human and there's no one there in the "online chat". I finally got a reply email, automated response with a link but the link didn't work. I intend to tell as many people as possible NOT TO BUY this product because the is ZERO support. DIGUSTED

Sandy

@start.ca

Re: Nettalk has NO customer support

said by Patsy :

I very well agree with Patsy as NETTALK service is now the worse ever I've experienced. I've Vonage and Nettalk and when I put Nettalk no on Vonage Simulring feature and that messes up my vonage phone. I've written to Nettalk and no one has answered back to me since 1 week now. I'm also having problems with incoming calls and many times I make a call there is no answer,no ring no tone on the nettalk phone. Totally DISGUSTED.

robstee

@bell.ca

Re: Nettalk has NO customer support

I agree with the above there is no one to talk to and the online support I have never been able to get through to. I have been trying to contact someone and have not been able to in almost 2 years!! If it weren't for the low cost of the phone and "hey" it does work 80% of the time I would not continue to use it. I had no service last year for a couple of months (I could call out but no one could call back)
and I finally got a recorded phone message stating that they would give me a 3 month credit on next renewal and here I am renewal time and no credit and no response from on line support (that is the only way you have any hope in getting them) but there are always so many on line ahead of you (that # doesn't change) and after 30 minutes or so it says they are unable to assist you and will do so at another time. My advice find something else if you want "any" sort of customer support!! Rob, Guelph Ontario, Canada

Anongulus

@24.42.99.x
Nettalk's customer service has always been horrible. On the other hand, the service usually works well and it is SUPER DUPER cheap. If you have a problem, though, it may take a while. I want to renew my service but I really hope they stay in business!

mangolynn

@qwest.net
I purchased NetTalk earlier this month (Feb 2014) and have exactly the same problem. It is not easy to install, TOTALLY screwed up my wi-fi for my 2 computers and it is absolutely impossible to reach any customer service via phone, email, or anything else. Everything directs users to their "FAQ's". Great. But what if you don't have internet because their system screwed it up, and what if your issues aren't addressed. I emailed a week ago, got an automated reply that they'd opened a ticket, and absolutely no response since. I don't care if they give this product away. With no customer support... that's what it's worth. Nothing. Save your money. Forget nettalk.

• Location: L5B
Good "The NetTalk gadget is preferable to that of MagicJack which is in 2 parts"
Bad "It was a rare occasion when I was able to conduct a normal telephone conversation."
Overall "The amount of frustration this program cost me they can't pay me for it."

It's certainly would be cheap.  If it really worked.  I was subscribed for almost 1 year and had one problem after another.  Granted, some of the problems might have been solvable if I took the time to research how to fix them, such as sound quality, echos.  I am not blaming all the problems on the gadget because I can't be sure.  But frequently I would come home and there is no dial tone and I had to re-set everything.  Or I am talking to someone and my phone goes dead while they apparently could still hear me. Or I dial out and the phone immediately hangs up.  Or I dial out and it rings a few times and then I  get disconnected.

NetTalk expects you to pretty much solve all your own problems.  I believe that there is a problem with my gadget now

(it no longer connects, not because I don't know how, I've done it often enough) but because I think it's fried.  All their Tech Support had to tell me, twice, after explaining my problem in detail, is to wait for the red light and the green light etc etc which, I know, would work if the device was functioning properly but it isn't.  To get a replacement I would have to buy a new gadget which includes another year's subscription and which, to my regret, I already have paid for another year.  I emailed Customer Service saying I wanted my money back because Tech Support won't help me but got no answer - their web page does say that "all sales are final".  Isn't this exciting?

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Not too surprised.

My very inchoate impression is that NetTalk has seen better days.

If you care to state what your calling needs are (what country are you in, how much inbound minutes and outbound minutes do you use monthly, do you want equipment provided for you or can you go BYOD) then people might have other suggestions.

There are a variety of [good] VoIP services out there.

Review by tomgun See Profile

• Location: Kent,King,WA

when I try to make calls out of country 50% of time I just get a busy signell no matter what time of day or what number I call.
Called teck suppore but no support!!! Will not reup my contract Very poor company!!!

Comments:

Review by Snaps45 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Bad "Piece of Junk"
Overall "Don't waste your cash"

Nettalk Duo stopped functioning altogether. No incoming no out going calls can be made. Tech support replies with babble about powering off or resetting modem but does not actually read information I have provided. Just goes to standard excuse sheet and resends same dumb non-applicable suggestions for a dead unit. If you ever have a problem with your Duo you might as well throw it away. Tech and customer service are worse than useless. Time vampires wasting yours.

• Location: M1J3N
Good "Cheaper than Bell (ATT)"
Bad "Not reliable, poor quality"
Overall "As bad as Bell and Magic Jack"

I found it unbelieveable, they claim they are better than MagicJack but they
have problem over problem the only good thing is they have some poorly
supported "live" service support. =A0This issue of not able to receive incoming
calls and not able to call forward it for more than a week is a deadly problem
to the company! I have noticed last few days while traveling in US using the
Canadian Nettalk Duo it still did not received a single call, so the problem is
Nettalk Canada, because Nettalk USA I have not heard such a problem.
Are Canadian customer less important than US customer????

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:

happy2

@bell.ca

works fine

i am a new customer. had my number ported out from my old carrier to Nettalk. waited for 2 weeks. Nettalk did all the arrangements with my old carrier. now, i can receive calls and make outside calls like before, i kept my same old number. no problem.

to other negative commenters, just think: with a lot of savings on this VOIP services who would not suspect a sabotage from losing carriers who have been ripping me off for years on a home phone for as much as 1500%. go figure.

Kumars11

@nielsenmedia.com

Worst Service - Beware of hidden terms and Conditions of Nettalk

Hi,

I have been using Nettalk for around 6 months . I have subscribed for an entire year paying a total of $180.58 for US calling and International Calling (India). Did not have any issues, till last month. However, last month, all of a sudden my international calling option was suspended.

On enquiry, I came to know they have put a hidden cap of 600 minutes for international calls. Their Customer Support Team works from Monday thru Friday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm EST. Also you need to wait for hours together to speak with Customer Support Team. It is very difficult for any working individual to spend hours together for registering complaints during working hours - Mon to Fri - 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Customer Support team said that they cannot help and I need to send mail to CS@Nettalk.com and I did... I sent half a dozen mails, demanding the reason for disconnecting international calling service, and also requested them to refund my payment on a pro rata basis. But they replied stating only 600 minutes are allowed for every month for international calls(India) and my service will be resumed on 1st. However, once I reach 600 minutes, my international calling plan will be suspended... When I asked for the location in their Terms & Conditions for their limitation of 600 minutes, I did not get any answer....

ON TOP OF EVERYTHING, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY COULD COMPARE THEMSELVES WITH OTHER GOOD SERVICE PROVIDERS WHO ARE PROVIDING 24X7 SUPPORT AND CLAIM THEMSELVES TO BE BETTER THAN THEM...

I do not want to continue with NETTALK and I need a refund atleast on a pro rata basis. Not sure, what to do??

Can anyone help please....???

Kumar....

bad biz

@scansafe.net

Re: Worst Service - Beware of hidden terms and Conditions of Net

BEWARE - not for consumers
I'm guessing that most folks that purchase the Nettalk duo are home users. Yet their phone support hours are 10am-4pm eastern. SO MUCH FOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

My case, the device seemed to make and receive phone calls. But somewhere in the call, it would go to half-duplex where the other party talking stopped all conversation. Finally the call would just drop. and then nettalk equipment would have to be reset. This seemed to happen mainly with cellular calls.

I was not expecting immediate fixes to the problems. But two days and no replies to my support requests = BAD BUSINESS.

Finallly, the device won't even power up and is within the 1 year warranty period. But nettalk won't even respond to my requests for warranty replacement.

BE WARE!!!!!
Jupnort

join:2013-06-10

NetTalk Hit& miss

Wondering how many others have problems with outgoing calls on Net Talk like normal or rapid busy and having to re dial calls 2 or 3 times before they go thru instead of the busy signals? Have any of you had trouble with using NON digital telephones plugged into your net talk adapter ? this is now the 4th time I have used net phone services , I liked 8x8 but when they kept raising the rates compared to how much i used it i said enough , MJ well I got tired of fighting with them over connections they refused even though they were valid numbers in the NANP.

Gh0stNet

@eastlink.ca

Re: NetTalk Hit& miss

I've had this for almost a year and it is unreliable. Called on issues and after 2 hours+ on hold I got no where, reset in the que more then once. To date my longest call on the unit is to tech support who just say they'll look into it and don't. I've opened 2 services calls and the only replies I've got were them saying i didn't respond and the call was being closed. No question was posed to me to reply to though. To date I've had every issue known. Calls ring and then drop without being answered. No dial tone. automated systems that require input via key presses doesn't work. Inbound calls going directly to voicemail. Inbound calls telling callers the number is not available.

Long story short if you want something that is reliable this sure isn't it. If it works your fine if it doesn't though that is pretty much it you'll NEVER get it fixed.

Review by dirtyern

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
Bad "Terible customer service"

I received my Nettalk Duo Thursday, started trying to install it Fri. Tried different computers, then tried straight into modem, couldn't get it to work =0Aanywhere. Tried to connect Nettalk everyday, can not get HELP!!!!!! POOR =0Acustomer service. Stingy way to run a business. I wish I had never heard of Netalk!!!!!!I will tell everyone I know what terrible service I DIDN'T GET!!!!!!!

Thanks for this forum

(review was emailed from domain att.net)

Comments:

karn4

@shawcable.net

nettalk bs

i lost my number i had with nettalk canada just a few days ago and I couldn't receive calls for almost a month. bullshit. sounds like their 3rd party that keeps the numbers they didn't pay them. nettalk gave me a number thats not even close to where I live. pathetic. watch out I have a suspicion this cmpany is going to fold soon.

Review by trucker_T See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Bad "not reliable"
Overall "look for something else"

i have been subscriber for almost 2 yrs. when i first purchased nettalk i looked for price and reliability. from the get go i had trouble. bad call sound, dropped calls it took almost a yr to find out it was the power cable they had provided that was the problem. now with not being able to recieve calls for over a week i will not be renewing and will be looking for full refund due to them not honouring there commitment.

Comments:

Ali

@aol.com

Nettalk should be prosecuted!

Hi,
Problem after problem with even bigger impact everytime.
If you are patient to be on-hold for hours, you will benefit from the live support but other than that, the quality of service, reliability, is worst than your wildest dreams:(
I have had many FREE voip and none of them had issue even close to what paid service as nettalk has given me.
They may have cool idea or plan but as of 2013, better stay away from Nettalk unless you have not a high value for your money, time, even yourself and loved ones who are being dragged into using such a poor service.
They might be going through improvement stage or something(IF we think positively!) but they don't even bother explaining it and admit it honestly!
I think such a poor service will help bigger companies to keep people from other good VOIP provider out there and from that perspective Nettalk owe a good service to not only their paying customers but other people who are in in VOIP business.
Disappointed,annoyed,troubled customer:(
Good job all other VOIP provider, Bud,Dell,Google and many others and Bad Nettalk, Bad:(
dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA

Re: Nettalk should be prosecuted!

Forward your Nettalk number to a free VOIP DID number anywhere in North America. It works great.

Review by notalk See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Not good at all!!!"
Bad "Worst Service Ever!!!"
Overall "Save your money and time"

Nettalk is one of the worst companies out there. From the start it has been nothing but problems with their service. For a service that is supposed to allow you to make long distance phone calls it definitely does not do that. Even locals are a big problem. People try to call us and it tells them it is a long distance phone call or not in service. When we try to call most of the time it gives us a busy signal or keeps ringing but when we use any other phone like our cells the numbers we are calling are fine. If it allows us to make a call long/local after about 10-15 minutes of use it disconnects you from your call. Trying to talk to tech support has been useless. Their solution was to change our phone number as they "think" part of the problem was that they issued us a long distance phone number and not local. This service is useless and we would not ever recommend it to anyone. Save your money and also save yourself a lot of headaches. The customer service is very bad as well, they are rude and don't care. We were told a manager would call us and that never happened. With this service it did not matter how fast/good the internet service is, we have the best we can get. We had Vonage before and that was a lot better than Net talk at least we could make phone calls and not had all the problems we had with Net Talk. Net Talk is a waste of money, time and a very frustrating service and company to deal with. Stay away!!!

Comments:

netTALK

@nettalkglobal.com

Response from netTALK

notalk,

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused in the recent days.

We want to help get your device up and running without any more issues.

Please send an email to connect [at] nettalk.com with a call back number, availability during the week and a description of your case and we will have someone from our Customer Relations department handle your case personally.

Again, we apologize for any trouble we may have caused.

Have a great weekend

Ali

@aol.com

Re: Response from netTALK

I totally agree,
Nettalk is not only waste of money, it cause other pains what is the point of having telephone number? to call people and being called which very often neither works for Nettalk. I had Magic Jack and nettalk supposed to be an upgrade but it turned to be a nightmare. Didn’t work right from the box, took two hours on the phone with their support to know firmware has wrong setup and now their whole site is down when I tried to contact to get support! For my service which is down!
I think burning any equivalent of money in the fireplace is better than paying for Nettalk. Please show some respect to the national Bill and don't use it for Nettalk. Why there is no authority to enforce minimum level of quality of service? I see CRTC or other names on newspaper or TV. Proper authority’s presence should open the competition, reduce the price, improve the service as they are supposed to be so rely on that, we can make progress and not struggling just for very basic service.
apatel

join:2013-04-30
canada

Nettalk

Nettalk has international add-on plan for unlimited 60 countries. I subscribed for it and paid 120CAD in full for the year and very next month I received e-mail from them: I am copying here:

Dear netTALK Customer,
Due to a new regulation in India, all traffic terminating to this country has suffered a significant increase in cost. This increase has forced us to remove India from the 60 country calling plan until we can make alternative routes.

We hope to have India back in the 60 country calling plan early in the first week of April.

We assure all customers that Nettalk will continue to secure the lowest cost, highest quality international call routes available.

Sincerely,

USA

Review by traders03 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Low fees"
Bad " Despicable Service - They gave my phone number to another subscriber!"
Overall "The fees may look attractive, but take it form me, it's not worth it!"

So about a year ago, I started my subscription with NetTALK. What a serious mistake.

I planned on using the phone line for my new business at my home office. I was issued a phone number and activated it. Everything seemed fine until a few months later, when the DUO stopped working. I had to send it back and exchange it for a new one. Recently, I got a reminder email from them to let me know it is time to renew for another year. Guess what, when I tried to renew via their site, it issued me a new number. I found out later that they had given my original number away to someone else about 6 months ago. That explains why people have not been returning my business calls! I have never heard of such negligence on the part of a telecom.