Bell Fibe page on DSLReports

Review by sebastien198 See Profile

• Location: Beloeil,QC

·ELECTRONICBOX
J'ai toujours eu une crainte concernant Bell. J'ai toujours été avec VL pour les 3 services à part pour l'internet et la téléphonie résidentielle ou j'étais avec EBOX pendant pratiquement 1 ans.

J'ai switché à Bell car c'était disponible à Beloeil . J'ai commandé mes 3 services (30 chaines à la cartes, internet FIBRE 15-10, ainsi que la ligne résidentielle et sa me revient à 119.19 pour 1 ans.

Jusqu'à présent, j'ai aucun commentaire négatif à dire. La vitesse internet est excellente, la télévision est super clair ainsi que la rapidité pour changer les postes et surtout la clarité de l'image est vraiment wow.

Je ne suis vraiment pas décu jusqu'à présent.

Reste à voir coté facturation, qu'est ce que sa va va donner.

member for 293 days, 254 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mitchfromtor See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Bad "Worst service I have ever had ! Kept billing me $600 !!"
Overall "DO NOT USE THEM !!They will overbill you the first month and you'll spend 6 months trying to get your money back"

I have an 87 year old father that I look after and i personally signed him up for your services 7 months ago now. We were promised a total rate of $131 mthly for all services. First months bill was almost $700 and this after we were promised the first month free for a botched installation. It then took them another 3 months just to get the internet working right and still no credits. Finally after they threatened to disconnect us over the $600. Dec 18th I finally got a supervisor that said she fixed everything and we were fine and up to date. Fast forward to today and now we are being threatened with disconnection again unless we pay over $600 !!!
This has also happened I found out to one of my best friends also and now you're going after him for $600 which he was supposed to be credited also ! I don't know what to do as my father has dimensia and is watching TV pretty much all day long...This is extremely unfair and \i don't think it should be happening. All I ask is that someone there at Bell have a heart and/or a conscience and fixes this soon as we are slated for disconnection this week.
mitchfromtoronto@gmail.com
BTW I went on the BBB site (»www.bbb.org) and read the following on bell
Rating: F
And they have a warning about them which is
June 28, 2011 - The Competition Bureau announced today that Bell Canada has agreed to stop making what the Bureau had concluded

were misleading representations about the prices offered for its services. Under the terms of a consent agreement filed with the

Competition Tribunal, Bell is also required to pay an administrative monetary penalty of $10 million, the maximum amount allowed

under the Competition Act.

The Bureau determined that, since December 2007, Bell has charged higher prices than advertised for many of its services,

including home phone, internet, satellite TV and wireless. The advertised prices were not in fact available, as additional

mandatory fees, such as those related to TouchTone, modem rental and digital television services, were hidden from consumers in

fine-print disclaimers.

"I am pleased that Bell cooperated with the Bureau's investigation and is taking steps to correct the misleading advertisements,"

said Melanie Aitken, Commissioner of Competition. "When a price is offered to consumers, it must be accurate. Including a fine-

print disclaimer is no licence to advertise prices that are not available."

As an example, Bell's Web site had been advertising a bundle for home phone, Internet and television services starting as low as

$69.90 per month. However, it was impossible for customers to buy the bundle for the advertised price. In fact, the lowest

possible price, including the mandatory fees, was $80.27 - approximately 15% higher than advertised. Customers purchasing any of

the services individually were also faced with the same misleading information, as additional fees were excluded from those

advertised prices as well.

Under the terms of a consent agreement filed with the Tribunal today, Bell has agreed to:

* modify all of its non-compliant advertisements within 60 days; and
* pay an administrative monetary penalty of $10 million.

The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a

competitive and innovative marketplace.

Please view the following link for additional information:

»www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/···388.html

- See more at: »www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-r···york-on-

1043848#sthash.k97Na9OZ.dpuf

That says it pretty much all.
I truly think that we should try to get a class-action lawsuit against them and if anybody else is as disgusted with them ripping off seniors and such let's teach them that it isn't OK to do business this way

Comments:

Review by Cloneman See Profile

• Location: Montreal
Good "Solid Backend Network, Excellent Technical support on DSLReports Direct Forum"
Bad "Company is still way to convoluded to recommend to most people"
Overall "Good Product, quality of execution varies."

·TekSavvy DSL
Bell is confused company. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. If you can accept that your bill will fluctuate constantly, that the company itself has a long history of bad customer service, the underlying product itself is actually quite reasonable.

Fibe, or rather VDSL as it should be called, is a solid product. There's some issues with questionable modems chosen by the ISP which cause disconnections, but at the heart it's a connection that is far better than most people would give it credit for (if you get on the proper profile to avoid sync-no-surf, get your own modem, etc.). With up to 10mbps upload speed, its easily 10-15 times faster than ADSL2+ for upstream, and reliable... once you get it right.

Can't say I have really many complaints, except for how confused bell is as usual. Technical support on DSLReports direct forum is _spectacular_ , although only available during business hours. The Installer was very professional and helpful. I noticed a big improvement on bell techs recently.

It's the complete opposite for their salespeople, who are very poorly informed by the higher ups at bell that devise documentation. They don't know what they are selling, and they make stuff up along the way. Some of their traveling salesmen in particular are pompous and confrontational for absolutely no reason.

I had an incident while I was with Teksavvy, was approached by a Bell Salesperson who set up a booth outside my gym. I told him I was interested in Bell and would be switching in a few months (because bell had free installation and a good bundle deal), but at the moment I was happy with another company. I tried to end the conversation several times and go to my workout, but he kept insisting that Teksavvy was using older lines and that bell was infinitely better. Things just got weird. It was clear I wasn't ready to buy today, although I was interested. Despite my body language indicating I wanted to get on my way, he seemed to want to not want to let me leave until I admitted Bell had the best network and no one else had access to it. Almost as though he was "closing the sale"... but not of a product, but an idea...

member for 11.6 years, 1346 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thejames See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "they matched a competitors price + more usage"
Bad "price continued to creep up"
Overall "VERY surprised Bell matched TekSavvy..."

·Bell Sympatico
Had my total Bell bill (sat.TV + DSL 25/10 + 190 GB) reduced to $104 due to some major billing problems. Over the last year and a half the bill crept up to $140.

I seriously looked at going to TekSavvy as the service was cheaper for the same speed and had more usage (300 GB).

I call Bell up today and quite calmly told them I was cancelling my Internet service as TekSavvy was offering the same but cheaper. Also told her I was unhappy about my "bill creep". I literally was calling up to cancel... the price is just ridiculous. The first words out of my mouth were "I'd like to cancel my Bell Internet service." No BS. Just said it in a matter-of-fact manner.

She told me she'd look to see what they could do... came back and said they could offer 25/10 + 350 GB for $44.95 (which is what I would have paid at TekSavvy... $39.99 + $5 for dry loop).... so they matched the price and tacked on an extra 50 GB. I couldn't say no. I told her I was pleasantly surprised they could do that...

To myself I wonder if this is really what it takes? I wasn't going in threatening to cancel... I was going to cancel. They lowered my price... I have no reason to cancel now. The service has always been good for me in Whitby just have problems with Bill Creep.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
updated a few minutes ago

Comments:

Bell vs Teksavvy

Bear in mind that the Bell match deal is only for one year while Teksavvy has no expiry date.

Review by Darkshadow24 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Great dowload speed, Great support"
Bad "They can not supply 10mbps upload speed in my area"
Overall "Do not get if you live in Niagara Falls Ontario."

I ordered the bell fibe 15 \ 10 thinking i was going to get a good upload speed i was dead wrong, The package is normally priced at $59.95 a month for a 60GB download cap i had to also buy the unlimited package for $10 extra, I already used over 60GB in the short time being with bell. The tech that installed it was very knowledgeable about the install we ran a new line for the DSL service to minimize the risk of my old line not giving a quality signal. Then the problem started we ran speed tests to see if i was getting the right speeds and make sure everything was up to standard i capped out at 15mbps not a problem then the upload speed was tested next it capped out 0.90mbps at this point i was shocked and in disbelief about the speed so we retested with the same out come, Checked the line making sure there is no noise in the line found out one phone grounded it self some how, unplugged the phone and set it aside retested it again slightly faster same upload, At this point he called in and found out my area can only serve 1mbps because its ADSL not a VDSL and i'm 3km away from the Victoria street CO, I will not get the speed I'm after unless bell does a total upgrade in my area. The bell tech said there are rumor's about upgrades happening in march or end of summer. I at this point sat down at my computer and started to do a basic line check while the bell tech was still here, I ran tracert to see if there is any packet drops right away there was i said to him look at theses packet drops he was shocked and then we both realized most likely because of the Toronto outage fair enough. After 2 - 3 days of on the service my modem lost total connection to bell i called in and i was back on the internet in a hour, Great ran a few speed tests i was capping out at 11 - 12mbps i called in again they had no answers they passed it off to the senior tech 24 - 48 hours later my problem was fixed, While they were fixing it i lost connection 3 times in one day without warning speed drops down to 5mbps very outraged by this. I been reaching out to all sides of bell tech support on this forum and threw the online chat to verify when upgrades are coming to my area without any sure answer just "they are coming" everyone i spoke to on this forum and threw the chat were very helpful went totally out of there way to help me find answers. After all this I'm stuck with horrible upload speeds unable to upload anything without it taking 4 - 5 hours, Skype calls again horrible. The only thing bell has going for them is some what a reliable download speed. connection hub sagemcom with about 4 feet CAT4e Ethernet cable. At the end of all this I'm going to get rid of my bell service because they are unable to provide me what i need in my internet.

Comments:

Review by poker85 See Profile

• Location: Laval
Good "Le prix et la vitesse"
Bad "Avoir un bon prix est difficile"

Bonjour
Je suis avec Bell depuis 1 ans et demi.
J'ai la fibe 50 et je suis agréablement surpris par la fiabilité.
Il faut dire que c'est de la fibre optique qui entre dans la maison.
Le point négatif est que j'ai du appeler très souvent le service à la clientèle pour avoir le prix que j'ai obtenu.
Pourquoi est-ce si dure de mettre sur leur site web le VRAI PRIX qu'on peut avoir.
Je suis passé de 89.99$ par mois à 49.95$ par mois sans contrat ni aucun autre service...
En tout cas, pour le prix que je paye, c'est un très bon service que j'ai!

member for 2.5 years, 302 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by f4natik See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Advertised Speeds, Good Promotion"
Bad "Monthly calls to Bell questioning extra charges, bad service, changes done to plan without notification"
Overall "Don't buy Bell unless you're willing to pay extra for things you're not aware of"

In early September, I purchased a student plan that was on for promotion. It was an advertised 25mbps download speed and 10mbps upload speed. The original price was about $61 (without taxes), and included a cap of around 100 GB. The promotion lowered the price to $45.95 for the first 9 months, along with an extra 250 GB. Sounds great right?

Wrong.

Although installation went pretty smoothly, there were many problems with BILLING.

So after the first month, I received a call asking if I would like to participate in a "trial" where other people in my neighbourhood would do the same, testing some sort of internet experiment. We were told we'd get "unlimited usage, faster speed and a monthly bill of $0 for the 3 months" if I participated in the trial. Free internet? Of course I took it. So then we had an extra modem installed, and it was just a matter of time when I noticed that the speed went down. I tested the speed and it turns out the speed got reduced to 15 mbps, and the internet was NEVER free. I didn't mind paying the original advertised price, which was $45.95 before taxes, although I wasn't too happy the speed was reduced; however we still had unlimited usage at no extra cost.

At the end of the next month, my bill was $124.47, which was ridiculous because I haven't made any changes to my account. I looked at my online account and noticed that I was charged for an unlimited usage cap add-on, and a bunch of other charges that made no sense, which added up to $105.15 before taxes. I called Bell, waited around half an hour before they actually picked up. Now the woman who picked up had NO idea what she was talking about. She was just about the typical customer service representative with the weird accent and only repeated what she read on her computer screen. I was irritated that she was only telling me what I already knew, and that she couldn't answer my questions, so I demanded to speak with her supervisor. Another 40 minutes pass before I could get any words in with him. When I told him the problem, he informed me that there is "no such trial/promotion" and that I will have to pay the charge of $124.47. No, I am not paying that amount. Although I don't like to, I had to loudly argue with this supervisor about how terrible this company is for having the employees not knowing what happens in each branch that is relevant to the customer. I criticized him for having an employee who offered me a promotion that they couldn't follow up on (and yes I am aware that they may be from different departments), but it was all to get my money back. He put me on hold for another 30 minutes, then apologized when he came back on the line, and told me that I will pay the original amount that I was supposed to, and will get the remaining amount of money in credit per month.

The "trial" was 3 months in length, so when it ended, I assumed that I'll just get my original student promotion plan back as normal (which was what I was told before I agreed to participate in this trial). However, Bell decided to charge me for the features that I received in the trial, which included:

Bell Fibe Internet 15/10 - $53.95

Unlimited Usage Plan - $30

Other charges and credits

Bell Fibe Internet 15/10 -$43.16

Unlimited usage plan - $14.00

Bell Fibe Internet 25/10 -CR $35.96

These charges totalled up to $76.63. Now first off, nothing was reverted back to normal; I had no discounts from my promotion going, and I didn't get my advertised speeds/price. Secondly, I did not order unlimited usage (was included in the trial for free) nor did I ask for them to lower my speed to 15/10, then charge me for it. I'm not even sure that the "other charges and credits" meant. Again, this meant another call to Bell. It was a very long day for me. I had to wait 20 minutes before my call was picked up. This time, I had a nice lady who could speak fluent English and understood what she was telling me. She could only answer the top layer of my questions and did not go into depth, because it wasn't in her department. She offered me a plan for $81.95 that would get me my 25mbps, and 100 GB of usage. That was no where near my old promotion, which I told her. She told me that if I were to FIRST ACCEPT THE CHARGE, THEN she would transfer me to the loyalty department so that I can attempt to get a discount on that. NO WAY am I agreeing to that ridiculous price, so after a few minutes of arguing my case and asking to be transferred to the loyalty department first, I was told that I "may not get the same price" that she is offering me. GOOD, I don't like that price. So in 15 minutes, I was talking to the loyalty department. I explained my case and he looked it up. Now this here is the part where I really wanted to cancel on Bell. So I was talking, and sounded upset, because I was, since my hard earned money was being cheated by this huge company. After I finished, he started talking, then took a pause. I assumed he finished talking, so I interrupted with the one word "wait" and he sighed and said in the most annoyed, attitude filled voice, "can I finish what I'm saying first?". I was appalled. I did not like being spoke to like that, not after what this company has been doing to my money. But I shut up, since I wanted the promotion back. Again, I had to argue with this guy about what happened and in just a little over 40 minutes, I was able to get my promotion back. HOWEVER, I was a little bit confused on when it would start again (since this was early January), and he told me a date that I sorta remembered. To confirm, I asked again at the end of the call, and he again, SIGHED and told me in an "are you stupid" voice, the date. At the end of it all, I was not happy and inquired about the notice that I have to give before switching providers. Then, he was sounding upset and said "I JUST gave you this promotion and you want to switch?". Do you want me to refer to you as god because you gave me back what I had taken from me? No sir. At the end of the call, he told me to have a great night in a "I hate my job" voice and I just waved it off, since I knew that he didn't like speaking to me.

TL;DR Do not go into Bell under any circumstance. I ignored all the bad reviews about billing online and assumed that those were just faulty mistakes before joining Bell. Worst decision I have ever made. Unless you are prepared to use about 2 hours of your time every month to call Bell inquiring about that extra $50 charge on your bill, knock yourself off. I will say that you are better purchasing V Media, or TekSavvy.

Comments:

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
·TekSavvy DSL

Bell Billing? ARGH!

Bell's atrocious billing system was enough to chase me away as a customer. Strangely enough, I get to see the bill for the Bell cell phone I have for work and the amount is the same every month. Bell never could do that with my residential service more than three months in a row. And my current ISP won't hesitate to cancel a bill on the spot and reissue another one instantly if there happens to be an error in it, unlike Bell who holds your money hostage until the next bill - if they remember to apply the credit.

The sad thing is their front line staff have to deal with unhappy customers because of the billing system, something that they have no control over and are probably just as frustrated with as customers are.

Review by zhuyyu See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Once I purchased a new modem replace the one from Bell, it's stable."
Bad "the Modem from Bell is terrible"
Overall "At least I can spend some extra money fix it"

With the Sagemcom Modem from Bell, I have "Sync no Surf" issue since day 1. Reach out to customer service, they give me a brand new one Sagemcom, issue still there. I have to pay 140$ to buy a SmartRg modem online, replace it. Now the line is stable.

Comments:

Review by hlo207 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Stable."
Bad "Lower bandwidth limit"
Overall "Bell owns the infrastructure so there will be less hassle in technical support."

I have been on Bell Sympatico since 2000. I was under the grandfathered unlimited bandwidth until I upgrade to Fibe 15/10. I have the $30 unlimited bandwidth added to it. I much prefer they offer a higher bandwidth with the price or just let my grandfathered bandwidth continue. Switch ISP is not really a choice since my sympatico emails are associated with way too many things now.

Installation of Fibe 15/10 was great since the technician came to the house. I use the Sagemcom Fast 2864 gateway. That way it will be easy to deal with tech support for any issue.

Upgraded to FTTH today. For what I paid for Fibe 15/10 + unlimited bandwidth, I have Fibe 50/50 now. Installation technician was friendly and highly skilled.

Recent Toronto Xmas 2013 Ice Storm. Power went out Dec 21 at 10pm. ONT powered down internet as expected but backup battery kept the ground line alive for about 16 hrs. Once the power came back on Xmas day, everything came back on without a hitch.

member for 1.4 years, 287 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mds99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "If bundled, you save a bit"
Bad "Terrible Modems (Sagemcom = Synch No Surf Issues), overseas calls centres, low usage cap with high fees for overages"
Overall "I don't know why I suffered as long as I did... Switch to Start, Teksavvy or similar"

·Start Communicat..
I've had Bell's DSL service since it was available to me -- so that's makes me a pretty loyal customer (given that I've had it since at least 1996, and since 1998 at the same location). In fact, I had their home phone, LD (when that was a separate service option), mobile phone, Bell Expressvu and Internet services all bundled together for most of those years -- but slowly I've been trimming those back as I realized that their costs just didn't justify the quality of service. The first to go was LD, then mobile, then the landline when to Primus (and now Ooma). Since this review is specific to their Fibe DSL service, I'll just highlight my last 2 years' experience, and why I finally made the decision to cancel ALL my remaining Bell services (ExpressVu, Fibe).

Two years ago, I was on their 7 mbit service (a Sympatico-branded service)... and paying about $50/month for that... at some point in late 2012, I did some speed tests, and realized that I was actually getting around 4 mbit -- I called, and they stated they had accidentally downgraded my service (for at least a year) so I was paying $50 for what was, in essence, a $35 plan. They were extremely apologetic, and offered to upgrade me to Fibe 15/10 for free (no installation costs) in January 2013, and provided a "deal" where I would get the Fibe 15/10 for $50/month for the first year (which hardly made up for a year+ of paying extra fees for a service level I wasn't getting, but I also didn't want to go through the hassle of a big switch at the time).

The trouble began when they disconnected my current Bell internet, but hadn't yet installed my new line (which was to be a dry loop since I'd already moved my phone service to Primus). It happened because a service technician came to our house a day before our "switch" was scheduled and did some rewiring (telling my wife that everything would be fine, which it was not). Then, the day that the "switch" was to happen, no tech showed. When I called Bell to complain I had no internet at all, they could only apologize & offer to get me a service appointment in a few days -- I begged them to "just put it back the way it was" which of course they couldn't, so I ended up paying a $70 "rush fee" to have someone come out the next day to connect the Fibe 15/10. That negated the "free upgrade" but whatever, I was caught between a rock & a hard place without home internet which I need for work.

Fortunately the "rush fee" service actually meant someone showed up the next day. I had the Fibe 15/10 installed -- and did a speed test to confirm that I was getting the 15/10, but I then suddenly started to experience the dreaded "synch no surf" issue -- the fact that it even has a common name tells you something. Over the ensuing weeks, I spent hours on the phone with their overseas tech support people before I discovered on DSL Reports that this was a common issue (certainly Bell's tech people make it seem like I'm the only person in the world, and that it "has to be my modem" which they swapped out twice).... Turns out, all I needed to was to have profiled switched. Knowing that could've saved me hours on the phone (and Bell overseas tech support likely took years off my life). After many days of back & forth with a Bell tech on DSL reports, a very helpful Bell Darryl was able to find a interleave profile that seemed to work. My service never hit 15/10 again though -- at best getting 10/5 (sometimes 12/5), but at least it was stable.

Then -- unfortunately -- the recent (December 2013) ice storm in Toronto took down my phone line. I called Bell -- waited patiently 5 days without service. One service tech came, looked at the downed wire, and left. I called Bell -- they apologized and assured me someone would be out the next day. That service tech showed up and was about to leave when I caught up with him -- he told me that he couldn't fix it (it was clear most of these guys were just "punching the clock" after the ice storm, getting their time-and-a-half and didn't want to climb poles). He gave me all kinds of excuses (the downed line cross over to my neighbours -- when I said I'd get permission he then said that his shift ended in two hours and that wasn't enough time; when I told him I knew it wouldn't take that long he assured me he would fix it but "just had to go to the central office for a few minutes". Of course he never returned. Another call to Bell, another wait, now day 7 without connection -- and finally someone came out to reconnect the line.

Now, unfortunately during this time, it appears that they reset my profile... so as soon as I had the line re-installed, sure enough the "synch no surf" issue reappeared. Posts to the direct forum went unanswered for days -- until one of the Bell techs in the Bell forum PMed me and was able to put my on an interleave.

However, the quality of my new connection is worse -- I'm not getting 15/10 (at best getting 8/4 now), so that was the final straw. Time to move on.

The issues that I have with Bell are basically this:

1. They provide the Sagemcom modem, which a percentage of people cannot get a stable connection from. Calling Bell to try to resolve the issue is futile, and only a few techs in this forum actually know how to fix it; if someone isn't aware of DSL Reports, they're S.O.L. The "fix" means that you get a poorer connection than others, since your ping rates go down (or in my case, overall speeds are impacted).

2. Their overseas call centre, which I've had the unfortunate situation of having to deal with for at least 8 hours of hold/discussions in the last year, are useless. I know BCE saves some $ by outsourcing this, but it really is the WORST tech and customer support I've ever experienced. Their call scripts are useless ("are you getting synch? can you turn the modem on/off to reset it?" when I explain I can see the phone line lying on the ground disconnected; never willing to escalate an issue unless you start to demand it, etc.)

3. Value: The fact that the only way to get a good deal from Bell is to threaten to leave (and to have their retention department suddenly finding all these costs savings) tells you that their business model is "capture as much ARPU as possible from the customer unless they're going to leave, them try to retain them". That's their "competitive pricing" strategy. I'd rather switch to providers that give a clear, fair price to everyone (Smart, Teksavvy, etc.)

So I also decided its time I cut Bell out entirely. I've cancelled my ExpressVu service as well... funny thing is, I hold BCE as a stock, which has been good to me (so the practices that enrage me also pay me a decent dividend and an increasing stock price). However, I'm fed up -- as I know many others are as well -- and hope that my next review can be far more positive when I review my new ISP.

I'd consider Bell now a "last resort" for anything: TV, home phone, internet -- unless you really want poor tech and customer support with non-competitive pricing, there's very little positive I can say about this company. Perhaps its time I sell those shares in BCE.