Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Bell Fibe page on DSLReports

Review by sloow1 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Good service"
Bad "Upload speed reduced"
Overall "OK"

When I signed up I was getting 25Mb/8Mb, and all was good, but after 2 weeks started to get a lot of disconnects and no service. The service centre was very good at answering my calls and in short order sent out a tech to test the lines. The tech ended up replacing all the lines from the telephone pole to the junction inside the house. Now I get 25Mb down/3.4 Mb up. The lower upload speed is disappointing, as that's why I wanted the service in the first place, but the disconnects were frustrating. It's still a mystery to me where those two weeks of seamless service went, and why the original 8Mb/s speed is no longer available, especially after all the wiring was upgraded.

Comments:
sloow1

join:2004-03-21
canada

speed test

»[Fiber Speed test: 27.43/3.60 24 ms]

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Consistently fast, even during peak hours. Low pings. Fast upload."
Bad "Very low monthly usage limit, high price."
Overall "Reliable and fast, but expensive, especially if you need unlimited usage."

I have been a Bell customer off and on for the past several years. I've posted a review of my (quite poor) experience with Bell's DSL service in another review. This one will focus on their new offering, Bell Fibe.

I was fed up with inconsistent speeds on my existing cable Internet service, so I decided to jump ship. I purchased the grab-and-go kit from Dell for $7.99, which gives me 4 months of service. I signed up for the Fibe 25 service--might as well, since it doesn't cost me any more. Call was answered fairly quickly and an appointment was made for that same weekend. Pretty good so far.

The installer arrived 3 hours early. The install window was quoted as 12 PM to 5 PM, and he arrived at 9 AM. He claimed that the sales reps make these mistakes all the time. It wasn't a big deal, but it could have been a disaster if I had not been home at the time. Installation was quick and painless; he checked the wiring in my house and plugged in the modem. I was up and running within 30 minutes. Speed tests reported the full 25 Mbps/7 Mbps speeds I should be getting on the Fibe 25 service.

Up until recently I was having issues with the connection dropping for about 2-3 minutes whenever I was torrenting. I got in touch with Bell and asked them to switch my VDSL profile, which seems to have fixed the problem.

I've had the service for 9 months, and so far I'm quite happy. The monthly usage limit is quite low (125 GB) but thanks to a login-only account that I have from another ISP (giving me 300 GB a month), this isn't an issue. My promotional 4 months of service are obviously over, but I called Bell and they offered me a $20/month discount, bringing the price under $50/month. For 25/7 service, that's a pretty good deal.

Update: Since posting this review, I have switched ISPs a number of times, and ultimately gone back to a Rogers plan that provides 250/20 speeds and unlimited usage. The fastest Bell can offer in my area is 50/10, so cable is a clear winner in the speed department. As for price, Rogers is currently beating Bell on that front, as well: I pay $95/month for my 250/20 unlimited package, but if you were to get Bell's fastest 50/10 package with unlimited usage, the cost would be over $100/month (unless you also had Fibe TV, which I don't). So if you need to have unlimited usage, Bell is not the ISP for you.

member for 13 years, 4153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dunlop See Profile

Good "Great UI for FibeTV,whole home PVR, internet is stable"
Bad "Every invoice is a crapshoot of what the total amount will be, pulled promotion"
Overall "Stay away if possible"

I was offered a pretty good promotion in December which convinced me to sign up and cancel my accounts with Videotron and ElectronicBox.

The installation process went very smoothing until the last step of activation my channels, which was not possible because Bell brought the system down across Canada for maintenance. It took about 3 calls to get that resolved and I was up and running.

TV: Love the UI, whole home PVR and amount of On Demand channels
Intenet: Only getting 10% of my promised upload speed, 100% download (15/1), no issues with disconnects. IP address changed frequently.

Invoices: Each invoice is a list of charges and credits, it is almost like a program that throws in stuff to see what they can get away with. My fun began yesterday when I was charged for my PVR (the promo I signed up for was free PVR for 3 years and then I won it).

I called in thinking it was yet another billing mistake and was told that I should have never been offered this promotion because I signed up for 2 services. It is an obvious attempt to force me to get either a cell phone or home phone with them, neither of which is an option.

edit: escalated the complaint via their web portal and the credit was re-applied.

I have been with Videotron for over a decade (ironically after leaving Bell for similer issues, lol) and never had a problem like this. I will most likely be going back with them.

Update Oct 2013- Monthly price has been stable. Had a single issue where my internet went out (and learned you cannot access even your recorded shows on the PVR when it happens) but they sent a tech the next day and it was resolved quickly

Update March 2015 - Neighborhood was updated to FTTH and I switched over to 50/50 unlimted. Everything still going smoothly

member for 3.7 years, 1032 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

sterLingb0y

@206.47.249.x

Hello dunlop

When it comes to the fibe internet serivce, It is 100% in areas better then videotron, reason why you where getting 1 Uploaded with the 15/10 internet plan, was probley the same issue I had I changed out my old lines for my internet.

I have the 80/30 with Unlimited and I use to only get 50/15 out of it, but as soon as I updated my lines, I now get 79.6/9.9
docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
·Velcom
·Start Communicat..
·Bell Sympatico

Yep, it is a crap shoot.

Last time I used Bell I had to argue with them every month over the bill. Talking with the first level associate was always pointless, so I got so everytime I would say I wanted to cancel my account. Of course I really did want to cancel my account, I was so upset, but I was still at that time willing to keep it if I got what I was promised.

In the end, overall I paid about the amount I had expected to when I signed the contract, really if I count all the hours spent on the phone it wasn't worth it. My suggestion, is as soon as you are free and clear of your contract go with someone else. If you find a good deal, pay the fee to get out early. (That will also be higher than what you were told...)

Review by Maxime128 See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Fiabilité, vitesse, prix"
Bad "Aucun!"
Overall "Excellent produit FTTH"

Mon expérience internet se résume a cela depuis début mai 2012 a aujourd'hui..

L'installation c'est bien déroulé et a prit seulement 2 heures il était deux un en dedans et un dehors pour passer la fibre. Le travail est propre et bien fait.

Je suis satisfait du service de Bell j'ai jamais eu aucun problème de facturation avec eux jusqu'à maintenant.

Je recommande Bell fibe pour ceux qui y ont accès au FTTH ou FTTN, c'est un bon service et il ont plutôt de bon prix..

4 septembre 2014:

Je met a jour mon review.. J'ai annulé en août 2014 mes 2 lignes de cellulaire et la télé fibe. Du Coté des cellulaire et de la télé fibe j'ai rien a dire pour la qualité du service et de la facturation. J'ai annulé a cause que je voulait coupé dans quelques services.. la tv que je n'utilisait plus asser. Maintenant il me reste fibe 50/50 illimité a 69,95$. L'internet également le service est correct et la facturation.

member for 4.4 years, 1290 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Seb851
Je suis Future Shop

·Bell Fibe

Re: bell Fibe

said by Seb851:

C'est bell Fibe est non Fibre

Je tes fait plaisir j'ai corrigé.

J'ai seulement fait un update de mon review pour l'illimité
zeiterfiber

join:2012-05-27

avoir le même prix pour 50/50

Commet puis-je profiter du rabais à 42$? Je me suis abonné en juillet dernier et je paye 53,95 pour le 50-50 moins le 4$ pour les 3 services...

Mon forfait global est: 50/50, tv + 15 + sports + tel = 105 tx incluses..

Maxime128

join:2010-10-22
·Bell Fibe

Re: avoir le même prix pour 50/50

said by zeiterfiber:

Mon forfait global est: 50/50, tv + 15 + sports + tel = 105 tx incluses..

Tu ne peut pas, je me suis abonné en mai 2012 et j'ai profité de l'offre du rabais permanent était plus élever que le rabais d'après et d'aujourd'hui.

Review by zebra03 See Profile

• Location: B6L3H5
Good "As Advertised"
Overall "Fantastic Service"

Moved from 20/7 cable service to 150/30 FiberOP service with no usage caps. The stated speed is exactly what I am getting. Monthly price is for a complete bundle. Order and install process was seamless and to this time zero downtime. Highly recommended for those who are able to obtain FiberOP. Will never be going back to cable ever again!!!!

Comments:

Review by LondonDave See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Bell FTTH has not had a minute of downtime since installed. Speed advertised is delivered 100% of the time"
Bad "The Sagemcom router they include is a piece of junk with poor wireless signal"
Overall "If you live in a neighbourhood with FTTH then by all means give it a try."

·Start Communicat..
I moved into a new neighbourhood that was wired with fiber so trying bell fibe was a no brainer. I called and was offered a deal without having to ask over and over. I arranged my install for 2 days later and was up and running 1 hour after the tech arrived. I started initially with 15/15 and usually ended up with 16/16. After 1 year I called retensions and was offered 50/50 with 200 gig of usage for 53.95 a month. If you have phone or tv with bell they knock 4 dollars more off a month.

Update: The service is still working well. I still am unable to get full speeds through the sagemcom modem in bridge mode so I have removed it all together. Price has changed however usage has increased as well.

member for 3.5 years, 318 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by William777 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)

Bell fibe 15. Price is a bit of an issue, as the the call center that sold me the upgrade to Fibe TV lied about the cost.
Install proces was OK, but the installer did not have the right staples for his staple gun for coax cable, and he did not have the equipment to install ethernet cables.

Mostly I stay with Bell because of my spouse's sympatico.ca email address.

Comments:

Review by qcmart See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "Vitesse constante, stabilité exceptionnelle"
Bad "l'ancien modem Sagecom ne fournissait pas un bon signal Wifi. La nouvelle borne 2000 a réglé le problème."
Overall "À ce prix, Vidéotron ne fait pas le poids (upload limité à 10 Mbps)"

Le forfait est excellent. Par contre, difficile de savoir si Bell ne changera pas arbitrairement son prix comme il l'a déjà fait par le passé.

L'installation est excellente, mais il faut compter quelques heures en compagnie du technicien. Celui-ci a même amené la fibre jusqu'à la maison alors que le fil arrêtait à trois maisons de la mienne.

La borne 2000 est définitivement supérieure au Sagecom pour le signal Wifi. Nous l'avons eue gratuitement après de bonnes discussions au SAC.

J'attends impatiemment que Bell accorde le rabais jumelé de 30 dollars pour le forfait Fibe 175. Actuellement, c'est 139$ par mois pour la version téléchargement illimité.

Bref, si votre quartier est équipé de la fibre optique de Bell, je vous recommande chaudement le produit Fibe 50-50 illimité.

Comments:

Review by marknotmarc See Profile

• Location: k2k0h2
Good "Install was on time. Excellent Speed. Excellent latency"
Overall "Would recommend"

After my address was finally qualified in the Bell system for FTTH I received a call from Bell for the 50/50 package at an ongoing reduced rate of $49 a month with no contract. To that I added the $30 unlimited option. As I had Rogers ordered it for 25 days in the future to give a 5 day overlap as Rogers requires a 30 day cancellation period.

The tech showed up on time, was professional and installed the Optical Network Terminal, the UPS/power supply for the ONT, the Sagemcom modem, and spliced in an additional extra few feet of fibre to reach the install location.

I plugged the Sagemcom into my Asus router and tested the connection and it worked fine. Speeds were better than advertised.

»www.speedtest.net/result/4015517 ··· 7329.png

After the tech left I plugged the cable from the ONT directly into my Asus router and added VLAN tagging of 35 on the IPTV tab and eliminated the need for the Bell provided modem entirely.

I am enjoying the extra bandwidth on the upload speed with my web facing Synology box that I use for cloud storage. the 175/175 package seemed overkill to me.

I would recommend this product for people that have real FTTH and not FTTN.

member for 3.2 years, 331 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rawdeegee See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "FTTH with Unlimited!"
Bad "2 year term"
Overall "We're not going anywhere, so we're happy with the price and the service."

We ordered Bell Fibe 50, and I should mention that the price we got is with a TV package. The TV price is not included in the quoted price above, but the bundling gives us unlimited data at a significantly discounted rate plus, more discounts to sweeten the deal, as well as waiving setup and installation fees. Clearly these guys are putting up a fight. The main downside is the 2 year term, as well as perhaps the bundling with a TV package. But frankly, I wanted live sports and news, she wanted some specialty channels, and and we just bought this house, so we're not going anywhere. So the TV and the term aren't really downsides for us.

But wait, there's more. It turns out that the 2 year old home we bought on the eastern edge of Toronto was already wired with Fiber to the Home (FTTH). There is literally a box in utility panel in the basement with a fiber optic link dangling inside it. I was so dense I didn't notice this when we were looking at the house, though I suspect the home inspector mentioned it but it didn't click in. So we're getting roughly 50 up/down, obviously well below fiber's capability, but plenty for us for now at a competitive price, with possibilities for greater speeds should we need it.

It took literally 4 business days after ordering to get the installation guy in, who was there within an hour of the scheduled time window. He was very friendly and asked good questions as to how we wanted everything setup, including running a CAT5 cable from the basement up to our main floor living room through the wall and installing a network plug for the TV. The job was completed in about 3 hours.

Router is a Sagecom Fast, optical modem is an Alcatel Lucent.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3993 ··· 93420172