Bell Fibe page on DSLReports

Review by Cloneman See Profile

• Location: Montreal
Good "Solid Backend Network, Excellent Technical support on DSLReports Direct Forum"
Bad "Company is still way to convoluded to recommend to most people"
Overall "Good Product, quality of execution varies."

·TekSavvy DSL
Bell is confused company. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. If you can accept that your bill will fluctuate constantly, that the company itself has a long history of bad customer service, the underlying product itself is actually quite reasonable.

Fibe, or rather VDSL as it should be called, is a solid product. There's some issues with questionable modems chosen by the ISP which cause disconnections, but at the heart it's a connection that is far better than most people would give it credit for (if you get on the proper profile to avoid sync-no-surf, get your own modem, etc.). With up to 10mbps upload speed, its easily 10-15 times faster than ADSL2+ for upstream, and reliable... once you get it right.

Can't say I have really many complaints, except for how confused bell is as usual. Technical support on DSLReports direct forum is _spectacular_ , although only available during business hours. The Installer was very professional and helpful. I noticed a big improvement on bell techs recently.

It's the complete opposite for their salespeople, who are very poorly informed by the higher ups at bell that devise documentation. They don't know what they are selling, and they make stuff up along the way. Some of their traveling salesmen in particular are pompous and confrontational for absolutely no reason.

I had an incident while I was with Teksavvy, was approached by a Bell Salesperson who set up a booth outside my gym. I told him I was interested in Bell and would be switching in a few months (because bell had free installation and a good bundle deal), but at the moment I was happy with another company. I tried to end the conversation several times and go to my workout, but he kept insisting that Teksavvy was using older lines and that bell was infinitely better. Things just got weird. It was clear I wasn't ready to buy today, although I was interested. Despite my body language indicating I wanted to get on my way, he seemed to want to not want to let me leave until I admitted Bell had the best network and no one else had access to it. Almost as though he was "closing the sale"... but not of a product, but an idea...

Comments:

Review by thejames See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "they matched a competitors price + more usage"
Bad "price continued to creep up"
Overall "VERY surprised Bell matched TekSavvy..."

·Bell Sympatico
Had my total Bell bill (sat.TV + DSL 25/10 + 190 GB) reduced to $104 due to some major billing problems. Over the last year and a half the bill crept up to $140.

I seriously looked at going to TekSavvy as the service was cheaper for the same speed and had more usage (300 GB).

I call Bell up today and quite calmly told them I was cancelling my Internet service as TekSavvy was offering the same but cheaper. Also told her I was unhappy about my "bill creep". I literally was calling up to cancel... the price is just ridiculous. The first words out of my mouth were "I'd like to cancel my Bell Internet service." No BS. Just said it in a matter-of-fact manner.

She told me she'd look to see what they could do... came back and said they could offer 25/10 + 350 GB for $44.95 (which is what I would have paid at TekSavvy... $39.99 + $5 for dry loop).... so they matched the price and tacked on an extra 50 GB. I couldn't say no. I told her I was pleasantly surprised they could do that...

To myself I wonder if this is really what it takes? I wasn't going in threatening to cancel... I was going to cancel. They lowered my price... I have no reason to cancel now. The service has always been good for me in Whitby just have problems with Bill Creep.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
updated a few minutes ago

Comments:

Bell vs Teksavvy

Bear in mind that the Bell match deal is only for one year while Teksavvy has no expiry date.

Review by poker85 See Profile

• Location: Laval
Good "Le prix et la vitesse"
Bad "Avoir un bon prix est difficile"

Bonjour
Je suis avec Bell depuis 1 ans et demi.
J'ai la fibe 50 et je suis agréablement surpris par la fiabilité.
Il faut dire que c'est de la fibre optique qui entre dans la maison.
Le point négatif est que j'ai du appeler très souvent le service à la clientèle pour avoir le prix que j'ai obtenu.
Pourquoi est-ce si dure de mettre sur leur site web le VRAI PRIX qu'on peut avoir.
Je suis passé de 89.99$ par mois à 49.95$ par mois sans contrat ni aucun autre service...
En tout cas, pour le prix que je paye, c'est un très bon service que j'ai!

Comments:

Review by hlo207 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Stable."
Bad "Lower bandwidth limit"
Overall "Bell owns the infrastructure so there will be less hassle in technical support."

I have been on Bell Sympatico since 2000. I was under the grandfathered unlimited bandwidth until I upgrade to Fibe 15/10. I have the $30 unlimited bandwidth added to it. I much prefer they offer a higher bandwidth with the price or just let my grandfathered bandwidth continue. Switch ISP is not really a choice since my sympatico emails are associated with way too many things now.

Installation of Fibe 15/10 was great since the technician came to the house. I use the Sagemcom Fast 2864 gateway. That way it will be easy to deal with tech support for any issue.

Upgraded to FTTH today. For what I paid for Fibe 15/10 + unlimited bandwidth, I have Fibe 50/50 now. Installation technician was friendly and highly skilled.

Recent Toronto Xmas 2013 Ice Storm. Power went out Dec 21 at 10pm. ONT powered down internet as expected but backup battery kept the ground line alive for about 16 hrs. Once the power came back on Xmas day, everything came back on without a hitch.

Comments:

Review by SevereLag See Profile

Good "Unlimited Cap, Good/Fast Internet"
Bad "Nothing anymore."
Overall "You don't have a choice though (no competition)"

UPDATE: I have received a new modem, and it's a lot better than before. Online is now playable again. Thanks for sending the new modem Bell, I really appreciate it... but it did take you guys over a month or so, lol...

---------
I switched from Rogers to Bell (because of horrible lag, but after 10:00 PM and it was very responsive, but I don't wanna pay for internet that only works at late nights) so I got the 15/10 package with Bell around late September. The first few days were perfect (no lag at all, no matter if it was day or night) like it should be, but after September 30th/October 1st, I started experiencing horrible button delay online (like I did with Rogers).

For instance, if you play FIFA, your players feel like they weight 500 lbs, can't turn, can't pass, can't do anything. Your players are so slow and can't even run. Ronaldo can't even outrun anyone with this lag. Winning would literally be a miracle when experiencing this lag. Your opponent doesn't get affected by this, and runs circles around you. It is a HUGE disadvantage.

Around early mornings (around 2 AM) is when it gets better and the lag almost goes away...

So far, Bell has done nothing to try to fix this problem. I believe it's a congestion issue and I'm not sure if this happens in all area's, but my connection is horrible for gaming.

If you're the person who just downloads stuff and surfs, it'll be fine, but gaming is impossible. Rogers isn't any better.

Until Bell fixes this, I'll keep this review up. If anyone on Bell plays FIFA, please message me and let me know if you experience the same thing.

---

Update:

They refuse to fix (the person on the phone that I spoke to was... lol no comment) So if there's a problem, they won't fix it. Simple as that.

Good for web browsing, downloading, whatever, but for video gaming, IT'S AWFUL.

---
Update #2 (Nov 14/2013):

So thankfully, Bell did something. I received a brand new modem, never used before (after waiting for a month and two weeks), and this one is definitely better than the old one (the replacement one). Response times are better, and control inputs are more instant and less lag. Although it's not perfect like it was the first few days of my service, it's definitely a difference (positive) and now gaming is possible (for now, knock on wood).

So thanks Bell for at least trying something (although it took you guys over a month and two weeks to send a new one). It makes a difference and I'm glad at least you guys have tried to do something, unlike Rogers. I had a feeling it was a combination of a bad modem/so many people on at once, but now, it's not a problem with the modem anymore, I just know there's a lot of people on at once, and that's what can cause lag, for people who don't know. (a lot of pro players know about this, when the connection gets better at late night's/early mornings where as the average joe/casual player won't notice a difference)

So again, Thanks Bell. Hopefully I don't have this problem again. (truly hope I don't)

November 28th, 2013:

No issues with the new modem. No lag, no problems. Great service ever since I got the new modem.

Thanks Bell for sending a brand new modem. I'm no longer experiencing issues.

December 14th, 2013:

***Knock on wood***

Everything has been great. Absolutely no lag online... ever since I got the new modem, it's been rock solid. In my opinion, if you're a gamer, you should definitely get Bell Fibe... compared to cable, there's A LOT LESS lag compared to playing on Bell's internet... a HUGE difference and will probably increase performance for online gaming... would HIGHLY recommend.

Amazing ping times... 26 ms to NYC, 13 ms to Chicago, 36 ms to Dallas, 71 ms to San Francisco.... absolutely insane.

Comments:
chall2k56

1 recommendation

Not the ISP's fault

2 different ISPs experiencing the same problem?

not likely

You will find that the problem isn’t the ISP, but the route your packets take to getting to the game server.

There isnt much Bell can do, except for peering or buying IP transit from a different provider who may or may not offer a better route

Re: Not the ISP's fault

I've asked many people around the world if they experience this lag, they say NO. When I experience lag, it's against everyone, no matter where they are from.

When I don't experience lag (when it's early mornings) I don't get lag against anyone, not even against Europeans.

Also, FIFA is P2P, you connect directly to the other opponent.

jtl999
CEO of Team Classified

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD

Re: Not the ISP's fault

My friend has played various CoD and Steam games on both Rogers and Bell in Ottawa and no horrible lag. Lag compensation, routing all a factor.

Re: Not the ISP's fault

Maybe his area isn't congested. I think it's a problem with my area.

·WIND Mobile
What you don't realize is that on VDSL, congestion of the type you are speculating isn't possible, until the traffic LEAVES the Bell network (and if there was congestion, it would affect ALL traffic and slow speed/pingtests would result)

There are also NO commercial games in which the control traffic does not get routed to a central server.

There's no reasonable reasons to suggest that there is a problem with any of Bell's network that serves you.

Re: Not the ISP's fault

This doesn't explain why the first few days of my service (24/7 stable btw) was perfect. No lag at any time of the day... it was perfect, until October 1st. From there until now, the lag goes away at 12 AM/1 AM... all games stop lagging.

There is an issue, I'm 200% sure of it. You don't get perfect service, and then it turns into crap for no reason and only works part time, at certain hours.

Re: Not the ISP's fault

What Does explain it is this

In September, the Median throughput (on Torix) was around 80GBps, now, its closer to 90 and its only going to steadily increase.

You have more people using services like Netflix, Youtube, and gaming

This is not a Bell problem

You're assuming there is a problem based on flawed logic....its cold outside...must be a problem with the weather

You've been able to reproduce this problem on 3 different topologies among 2 major technologies. TSI may use Bell's last mile, but thats it they use their own network and their own peering arrangements with other providers.

Re: Not the ISP's fault

This is what I get during the day, during peak times:

»/speak/slidesh···wYXJ0LTI

This is what I get, when I experience no lag (early mornings):
»www.speedtest.net/result/3097623094.png

Re: Not the ISP's fault

Seriously? You have 15 Mbps downstream and 8Mbps upstream! That's WAY more than enough for games like Fifa.

I'm talking the minimalist speed with no 'bandwidth drag' due to internet sharing, is 1Mbps up and downstream.

You're game needs at least 1Mbps unless it's streaming videos or textures, the upstream is even less due to you sending only controller packets!

So your issue isn't that you don't have fast enough speed, it's that your speed is being degraded by something you have in the network.

If you share your network, if you use additional programs, etc. It all adds up to the long time.

Also, it is best to use a router to connect to a gateway, and computer to the router, because the router has faster performance and routing a DMZ mode to the router will enable all traffic to flow through quicker.

2 edits
You really should seek IT based solutions than whine about a company offering you traffic shaped connections.

Do ping tests, do tracert, do everything you can to prove that it's not your side, rather than whining about something and thinking that it's right.

I'm not saying Bell and Rogers are in the wrong, but if they are in the wrong all the time for decades, they would have gone bankrupt before you know it!

Check your PC's connection with the operating system, there are variables in there that delays your internet connection unless you optimize that.
Check your routing network to make sure you aren't using wireless b/g or something with slow transfer between devices.

DMZ your Bell Gateway modem to a router, then port forward ports on that router to a computer... What tends to occur sometimes is that the gateway themselves, if Bell updates new firmware for 'security purposes', tightens your bandwidth performance even more so due to additional security.

More security = Less efficiency or performance, as you are delaying the packets to check for it.

EDIT: If you're upstream is lower off the peak hour, it means there are lots of activity with the upstream on your network that lowered it.

Then again, you have sufficient rates, unlike the Cable internet users who's upload rates are unbearably under 1Mbps!

All it takes is 1 person uploading a simple file to bottleneck the entire network!

Also, more smarter customers are better economical solution than more smart businessmen!

Re: Not the ISP's fault

What do you mean by "IT based solutions"? Do you mean getting a dedicated Fiber connection to the home? Sorry, lol, didn't understand what you meant. I'm not a computer wiz.

I don't play on a PC, I only play on the Xbox 360. I've tried port forwarding/DMZ on the Sagemcom modem (I don't have a new router, just some old Linksys router from 2007) but the weird thing is, on this modem, it actually creates more lag... I don't know why. I even tried setting a static IP outside of the DHCP range, but that didn't work well either.

My brother and I are the only one's who use the connection. No one uploads anything while we play. With the tests that showed lower upload speeds than usual, no one was on the Internet as well.

But recently, Bell sent me a brand new modem, and there's a lot less lag, it's playable/decent now (huge difference between before and after), but I do notice that when you play in the early mornings (like anywhere from midnight until 6:00 AM) it's like the connection is on steroids, when you play online, everything is just so fast/smooth/responsive where as during the day, it feels a bit more sluggish.

Anyways, no more problems as of now. I wished that the game felt very smooth/fast/responsive like it does in early mornings, but after all, it is a shared connection. At least now it's playable where as before it wasn't, and now it works well.

Re: Not the ISP's fault

By any chance was that modem a 'old white 2Wire gateway' that loves to 'secure' itself by blocking all incoming connections? Even ping and tracert and all?

Also, it's possible Bell's resort to traffic shaping again without you noticing, because generally with with your downstream and upstream remaining in normal levels, your 'ping' might have increased during those times.

IT based solution, I mean't optimization and tweaks on OS like Windows and devices like routers and gateways and the likes.

I once had a 2wire modem from bell, it started out workable but over time (and power surges) the modem seems to be on the fritz, DMZ doesn't work, ping gets blocked, to the point where I had to flash the firmware with something new, which fixed the issue...

Then something happened and the modem borked, and eventually stops allowing me to log onto it unless i hack it or something, due to factory reset being override from the flashing. At that point I go 'mifi telecom' which is basically Teksavvy Cable via 3rd party.

But yeah, that modem sure loves to break down and mess with ya, other than you are still at bell's discretion.

Also note, Bell can do 'maintenance' at DSLAMs near your place, the phone box in that case where your phone lines in the neighbourhood wires up. If so, then your packets will be forced to take alternate routes, or even lose internet whilst maintenance are being done. They usually do this past midnight.

Review by jschall See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Picture quality, bundle price, Internet speed"
Bad "Nothing yet..."
Overall "Excellent choice"

Fibe finally arrived in Mont Saint Hilaire. The fibers were installed in our 6-unit condo back in June, and I had to wait until now for the FTTH service to be available.

I got a deal on the triple whammy bundle, with the 50/50 speed option and 15 à la carte channels.

We switched from Videotron/Illico to Fibe TV.

The installation went well, including voice mail and text message reminders. The single tech took 5 hours.

The picture and sound are noticeably better than Videotron. And I'm saving nearly $100/month on the 3 services.

Comments:

Review by pldube See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Super fast speed 175Mbits download/upload and unlimited !"
Bad "nothing after 1 month"
Overall "Fiber is the future !"

·TekSavvy Cable
·Videotron
Fiber is the future ! Super fast speed 175Mbits download/upload and unlimited !

Comments:

Review by LondonDave See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Bell FTTH has not had a minute of downtime since installed. Speed advertised is delivered 100% of the time"
Bad "The Sagemcom router they include is a piece of junk with poor wireless signal"
Overall "If you live in a neighbourhood with FTTH then by all means give it a try."

I moved into a new neighbourhood that was wired with fiber so trying bell fibe was a no brainer. I called and was offered a deal without having to ask over and over. I arranged my install for 2 days later and was up and running 1 hour after the tech arrived. I started initially with 15/15 and usually ended up with 16/16. After 1 year I called retensions and was offered 50/50 with 200 gig of usage for 53.95 a month. If you have phone or tv with bell they knock 4 dollars more off a month.

Comments:

Review by komi See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Very reliable, day or night"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "I know a lot of people don't like "Robellus" but right now it's the best 'bang for your buck'"

I was a long run Rogers and Teksavvy cable customer-10 years and had a lot of outages lately.
Last year I bought a Dell install kit for Bell internet fibe 25/10 MB-$10 for three months. Unfortunately that time Bell could not offer me unlimited, so I cancelled after three months, but I knew the service is rock solid anytime, unlike Rogers and Teksavvy at peak times.
So the beginning of this month I came across a very good offer from Bell:
$86.7 for three services:
- Bell Fibe Internet 25/10 - $53.95 Unlimited Month 1 - ongoing (Bell Internet Bundle Savings 4.00cr)
- Fibe TV Good - $30.80 2 receivers Discounted - months 1-24 (Bell TV - Bell Bundle Savings 9.00cr)
- Home phone Basic Package-24 Month Contract - $18.95 (Bell Home Phone - Bell Bundle Savings 4.00cr)
Because last year another tech installed a new outlet, filter and all gear, this time the installation took only one and a half hour for internet and TV - one PVR and one wireless HD receiver - everything on main floor.
The TV picture is very good - comparable with Rogers.
Internet is unbelievable - 27MB down and 10MB up - doesn't matter if both TV sets are on or not and if it's peak hours or not.
I hope this reliability will last at least two years - as long as the discount is on.

member for 2.7 years, 545 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ZSRH See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Installer was professional showed up ontime and did a clean install"
Bad "Speed is a little slow for PS3 online gaming (15/10 package)"
Overall "Better bundle pricing compared to rogers"

Choose to move from Rogers to Bell as Bell had better bundle (Phone, TV & Internet), The speed that was available was 15/10, I would like faster but am quite happy with the service so far. The install was smooth and professionally done. The set up for my home location was pair bonding. Using The 2Wire 2701 as the modem and then the F@st 2864 as the router. So far we have only had one outage that was tv. However calling tech support was great. I was on hold for less that 5 mins! The tech was able to help out and I got the service up and running in no time.