WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by macintop See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Price vs features. Real Unlimited"
Bad "Approval Process has major issues, minor coverage/network issues"
Overall "Unlimited at great prices but approval process has major issues"

Switched to WIND for the Back-to-School $35/month deal. I had to take the "pay-before" option as the "pay-after" option I was not able to get a approved for (unknown reason, but the sales rep warned me beforehand that a lot of customers do not get approved for "pay-after", even with excellent credit). I kept my current phone and got at $7.50/month for 20 months ($150) credit but was charged $25 for the SIM Card.

The plan was a lot cheaper than my current Service Provider. However with the "Pay-Before" Option Voicemail+ and World Saver add-ons were not included (included with "Pay-After" option), voicemail is $8/month extra.

Service coverage is great, only a couple of spots where service is spotty. Speed is decent at 5-6mbps down, 1 up. Phone call quality is good.

Comments:

dickie123

@99.235.184.x

shoulda went deposit

I had a similar experience, but they offered me the deposit option where I put a $100 deposit that will be refunded after 6 months. Then they said I was approved for the pay after 35.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, good service in their service area's. "
Bad "They lack service area's. "
Overall "Good service if you live in service area and spend most time there. "

·Rogers Hi-Speed
Wind offers unlimited calling (depending on plan) and text as well as unlimited data. Fair use policy on data, but it slows you down after 5GB, and even more so after 10GB, to a point where the internet isn't really useful. However, Good luck find a service like this with the big three in Canada.

Happy, so I stick around.

UPDATE: WIND has been able to change their roaming (data/voice/text) charging dues to changes by regulators. So 5 cents per MB of data makes it a better option for those wanting the service, but travel outside the tiny service area that WIND offers.

Also changed my plan so that it's unlimited CANADA-WIDE calling and unlimited World-Wide texting. Price is $35+tax (no other fee's)

member for 1.2 years, 505 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "It does just what is advertised"
Bad "Spotty coverage - spotty customer service"
Overall "Does what is required at way lower cost than big 3"

·TekSavvy Cable
Was on Rogers but got fed up with poor coverage when contract expired.
Was on Bell but got fed up with "new charges" as they decided to expire what turned out to be "promotions" and coverage locally got worse.

Went to Wind. Half the price for similar coverage. I don't go into Wind Away areas too often, but the roaming costs on Wind are only about 5c per min more than the LD charges I used to pay on Bell when roaming in Bell territory ... so, the difference of $30 could cover a LOT of roaming. My phones can be used in Europe by changing SIM.

Originally had a Nokia phone that decided to hang up on UMTS calls ... but worked fine on GSM calls! Changed to a Blackberry and it's great. It's getting paid off slowly.

Call quality is fine.

6 March 2014 ... Update

Coverage slowly improves. The blackberry works better in lower signal areas than the Nokia did. Managed to lose my sim while travelling abroad (used a Lebara sim in europe) and Wind store replaced it n/c and within 5 minutes (powering up a blackberry is like pouring mollasses ... S L O W)

I'm still happy I'm with Wind.

25 Sept 2014 ... Update

Still works just fine. The blackberry is its own pain in the butt ... but I can't blame Wind for that. The reduction in roaming costs is great.

member for 12.9 years, 6423 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Savvy

@rogers.com

Wind Network

Wind plan is great! Reception from 3 wind phones that we have as a family is not the greatest. Often, when picking up coming calls there is no connection the first time. Not sure if Wind knows about poor quality reception.

Hadi

@99.225.241.x

Horrible service provider

My monthly usage has become less than 10 minutes. No coverage at my work place (Yonge and North york), no coverage at my home (Yonge and Steels). I can only use my phone while driving, of course only in some specific areas.
Have contacted the customer service many times. They did nothing.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Horrible service provider

I wouldn't call them horrible based on the fact that they don't have good coverage where you need them and they don't do anyting about it. Even the big guys have holes ... I live in one! That they do nothing about that is just because they can't pop a tower or two or change radiation patterns at the drop of a hat.

It simply comes down to the fact that they are not good for your needs ... and there's nothing really wrong with that ... it doesn't make them horrible.

Review by janmar221 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Excellent Price & Service from AT&T and T Mobile while US roaming"
Bad "Terrible limits on Canadian Coverage, In Country Roaming Cost & Billing Problems"
Overall "A Good Cell for International Roaming Only"

I got Wind service in April as I travel to the US weekly and Bell Mobility's roaming charges (even with a so called package) were going to bankrupt me.

The Wind $60 a month unlimited Canada/US plan was attractive to me and remains so in terms of the excellent service I get in the US from AT&T and T Mobile (Wind's US providers).

The Canadian experience is a completely different story. Wind has limited coverage which is so unreliable and expensive (roaming charges anywhere outside major cities) that I now have a Bell phone for voice usage while in Canada.

Wind also has some systemic issues with it's billing software when it bills me for "away' text charges (in Canada but outside a Wind zone ie 'roaming') when I am clearly in the US based on phone use records. Last month they even invoiced me for 360 'away' text messages I never made. I have since blocked the SMS feature on my phone (although they still charge me for it) in order to avoid the monthly hassle over inappropriate charges.

Comments:

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Competitive Prices, Decent coverage, Good features"
Bad "Occasional Spotty Coverage, Sufficient speeds"
Overall "Good value for money, no problems"

·Start Communicat..
I have been with WIND for about 1.5 years now. I had a promotional credit of $10 off for the first 3 months since I found a coupon online through an e-magazine subscription. Wind is constantly advertising new plans with attractive features usually for around $30-$40. I'm with the basic $30 province-wide calling, unlimited everything package. Of course the 5 GB data limits means you can't really do anything useful with your phone in terms of tethering but its decent enough for an occasional day or two when your home internet is offline or when you're outside of your house with no WiFi coverage, or in need of a GPS app / mail check-up. I have had no issues as to of date.

If you want to switch phones, and the sim card size is not the same, they make you deactivate your old one and cough up $10 each time. There's no way to re-activate a deactivated sim card, unfortunately. As far as customer support goes, they are good if you visit to one of their terminals or booths inside malls or official stores (with a huge wind size banner or logo on the front of the store), and not a third-party vendor with an affiliation for wind (usually those little computer tech shops). I have never bothered with e-mailing or phoning in, but I have heard rumors of it not being as top-notch.

Coverage is weaker in basements, and if you are deep enough inside some insulated buildings, you might not get coverage at all. However, in terms of residential buildings, wind coverage is not really a problem. If you're on the highway, chances are you'll see wind go from 1 to 5 bars, swaying back and forth depending on where you are located, and your relative proximity to a phone tower. Usually its a good 3-5 bars if you live in southern Ontario or one of the more densely-populated areas/cities/towns. Rarely, but sometimes, you might encounter a "wind away" zone in the outskirts of the city or in some dead spots-- but it's not likely you will stay in such an area for an extensive period of time without phone service.

Typical download speeds are 4 - 8 Mbps, and up to 12 Mbps on exceptionally good days. Upload speeds are usually hovering around 100KBs at maximum.

Comments:

Review by MysticGuitar See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Inexpensive, no contracts, reliable network, unlimited everything"
Bad "Poor customer support, limited coverage area"
Overall "Wind is a very inexpensive cell phone network with a small coverage area."

·Cogeco Cable
The Wind $40 Monthly plan is by far one of the best deals available, but it isn't without its own faults. While the plan claims to offer Unlimited data, there is actually a soft limit of 5GB in place. After the 5GB limit is reached, your data usage is slowed down to a significantly slower rate, making any kind of intensive internet applications nonfunctional for the remainder of the month.

Additionally, Wind advertises as offering a service that does not enforce any type of contracts. While this claim is technically accurate if you were to bring your own phone for use on the Wind network. If you decided to instead take advantage of the WindTab service, you are essentially agreeing to a contract period of two years, or until the value of your phone is paid off in full. It's a slightly different contract concept, but is still a contract nonetheless, and early cancellation fees are enforced. (for the remaining value of your phone)

Data transfer speed is slower than I would have liked. I'm personally averaging 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, though this varies greatly depending on time of day and my current location. It's worth noting that all of my speed tests were done inside of a solid concrete building, which verges at the very edge of the Wind coverage map. The maximum speed I have seen was 9 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. This speed also seems to be more or less the average during late night tests.

As for signal quality, I've had absolutely no problems with loss of signal or dropped calls, even inside of my apartment building. However, loss of signal is said to be a common problem among other Wind customers, especially in shopping malls and other large enclosed venues.

Sadly, the quality of Wind's technical support services are low. It took me well over an hour to get a minor billing error resolved, and during this call, I was transferred over to three separate agents before my problem was resolved. There was also a minor problem at the local Wind store, where one of the in-store agents was unable to properly configure my account to automatically charge my credit card, forcing me to sign into their online account area to configure my billing preferences. While this wasn't a major inconvenience, and was resolved rather quickly using Wind's online area, it was something that could have been avoided.

All in all, Wind Mobile is the very best cell phone network that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are reliable, inexpensive and generally a pleasure to be with.

member for 2.6 years, 513 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Valendite

Not really a contract

Umm not paying for the remainder of your phone's balance unless you cancel is not a contract. It's like saying you get a rebate for the entire phone's balance if you stay with us for two years. Assume the following scenarios.

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $720 + 13% tax + $200 = $920 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You windtabbed it for 24 months.
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $520 + 13% tax
You saved money. Effectively $200 = not paid at all

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + $200 = $560 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You windtabbed it for 12 months.
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + ($200 - ($3 x 12) = $164) = $514 + tax
You saved money. Effectively $36 off. Slightly lower than deprecation value, phone probably worth $120 now, but better than the above scenario you see.

Think about it. You are either pay NOW or LATER for your phone. And the case is NEVER if you stick with them for two years... that's like making wind pay 25% of the cost of their phones or so (volume price for $200 phone is probably like $50)..

Factor in inflation and your dollars are worth less later, making it actually cheaper to put it on windtab even if you decide to NOT stick with them for two years. Jeez. You NEED a phone anyways to USE ANY carrier.
MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

Re: Not really a contract

said by Valendite:

In my review, I mentioned that Wind does not technically enforce any contracts, but that the WindTab is essentially the same general concept. You're still forced to stay for a two year term, or else you'll have to pay for the remaining value of your phone. Sure, it isn't a traditional contact, but the general idea is still there. Stay two years, or pay to cancel early.

To me, a contract is a type of legal agreement between myself and the company that requires for me to commit to a given number of years of service, or else I pay early cancellation fees for voiding my end of the contract.
WindTab is really just a clever way to mask a two-year contract. You can still cancel at any time, but you'll have to pay whatever balance you owe on your account.
If you stay for the full two years, the contract that you had with Wind is no longer active, as your 'tab' is paid off in full. After that, you can cancel at any time with no additional charges.

Sure, the way Wind operates is likely a major advantage for most consumers. However, to state that they do not enforce any contracts, and then require that you pay what's left of your tab before you can legally cancel. That itself is a type of contractual agreement between you and the company. Even if it isn't worded or marketed as such, it is still considered a contract by law, and is one that Wind can legally enforce if ever they see fit.

Re: Not really a contract

I don't know, you are not really paying them per se. If the nominal cost of a phone is $200 and they get charged $200 (probably not, but maybe apple does with their iPhones with other carriers), they are not really making any money from you cancelling--effectively you are paying the phone by letting their profit margins make up for the cost of the phone and the service with the surplus being whats left over of the amortized payments.

Lets assume that no carriers offer any phone discounts, and you have to pay the full value of the phone upfront. Whether you cancel or not, now you're always worse off than a discount % or rebate % per month for staying with them, right? In my mind, no phones are free. If no phones are free, and you did not have a service with them but instead were to finance it with monthly payments, wouldn't that be more of a contract? In my mind I just find the word contract would be more suited to something like... a cancellation fee that not does not involve paying for the ownership of an item, like the $100/$200+ costs that carriers/tv companies charged back then for ending a 2-year or 3-year contract early, plus the phone.

I get what you mean, but if you had to pay the phone anyways, in the case of no carriers rebating or discounting your phone for having to stay with them as a loyal customer, it just doesn't feel like the word contract is appropriate for it. It's like having amazon prime for $79 yearly and if you stay with them for 2 full years, they give your highest purchase up to $300 for free (a TV...) once. The service is just "extra" on top of what you would have to pay for anyways "tv". Eh oh well.

·Start Communicat..
For example, I go to Apple and get an iPhone 5S for $799.

I make monthly payments towards Apple. I go to wind and they have a deal where if I stick with wind, wind pays $20 per month and the entirety of it after two years. If I cancel wind, they will not pay Apple anymore. That's how I see it anyways. But again I get your point, it is enforceable by wind.

asif_bana

@199.7.157.x

customer service

Cheap always cheap
I bought $45 plan with Samsung s3, and i also bought cover and screen guard for $25 extra.
the sales representative on 1thorncliffe park drive gave me the wrong screen guard of s4.
Now after 3 weeks when I was going to change i found its wrong screen guard..I gone to the location were I bought it..now there are different salesperson, instead of talking manager he wants me to talk on 611 for only screen guard which I want to exchange for s3.
This guys when they want to sell their products they are so nice after when you go for some reason they behave like we are fucking cheap...
I am sooo upset

Review by DragonSpyre See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Exactly what they advertise what more can you ask for"
Bad "I have encountered nothing"
Overall "If you want to save money this will do just that"

I am currently on a Wind promotional 39 plan. This service includes the following.

Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada wide Picture /Video Messaging
Unlimited US wide Picture / Video Messaging
Unlimited Canada wide Texting
Unlimited Canada wide Calling
Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
Use your features anywhere on our network
Fair Usage Policy Applies

This plan was tested to work in the USA and was excellent on T-Mobile, at no extra charge I may add. I brought my own Nexus 4 and was off and surfing, calling and messaging the same day. The support staff who sold me the plan gave me nothing but solid service and really knew his product. I am now using a Nexus 5 with the service and have encountered no problems what so ever. I live in a rater urban area so I have no issues with coverage and I find that during any time of the day I have fast reliable internet and phone service. Was paying Rogers over $105 dollars per month for next to no data and nothing else. Switched to Koodo for a while and was paying them $66 for 6GB of data and comparable features. Saw Wind offer unlimited everything for $44 dollars with tax and I was sold. I may not have Voicemail with this plan but I don't miss it. I really hope that Wind will be around for the long haul and give the Canadian telecom industry the kick in the ass that it desperately needs to come back down to reality.

member for 5.5 years, 2236 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Ber

@184.151.231.x

Huawei mate 2

my wife signed up with Wind a couple days ago and got this big phone. Network is good so far but what impresses me is the phone-not its size but the control you have on the installed apps. I can limit apps their access to internet thru wifi or mobile network and other features like sweep all open apps at once and system tune up and the suspend but tom. I wonder why no reviewer on Youtube mention these wonderful features?? This phone run as fast as my Nexus 5 with a decent display and camera but it costs half the price of those high end Samsung or HTC phones which are obesed with many unwanted apps and that's why I bought my N5. Now for sure I will replace my N5 when Wind has a 5 inch version mate2.

Review by nzakanzaka See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great price for unlimited text, voice and data"
Bad "Coverage in some areas"
Overall "Tell me who has a better price for the same service, and I'll switch. None yet."

I was one of those who signed up early with Wind. Service was terrible in those days, but I'm glad I sat through their troubled days. I got the Super Smart plan for all members of my family, and Wind has always extended it since 2010. I have unlimited data to go with unlimited global texting and 24-hour unlimited voice, voicemail, etc. One of my daughters thought she knew better and went over to one of the big three. She doesn't have half of my package, but she ends up paying up to $85 in some months for sub-par service. I have frequently used my BlackBerry as a modem on the Wind network, and I can't complain about the speed.

The voice quality has seen a fantastic improvement, and the customer service has also improved. For $29 plus tax I'm not complaining.

Comments:

Review by eeeaddict See Profile

Good "ok roaming in usa"
Bad "slow, no coverage, random issues"
Overall "if you NEED data and can't afford anything more this is your only option"

·Distributel Cable
TERRIBLE SERVICE. I have a phone that gets 30mbps on other networks yet on wind usually cant even get 1meg, so far they've accidentally disable my sim 3 times (asking for voicemail) been clueless every time I had a problem and can't even keep track of my pin since it seems to change between three different ones at random. if you're downtown most of the time service is ok but honestly if you use less than 1gb of data a month you're seriously better off with any other carrier

UPDATE: Coverage is a bit better in some areas but speeds are still useless at any special event (fireworks, hockey games, etc)

member for 4.7 years, 663 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Somebodysmwr

@70.25.19.x

You obviously work for robelus.

As a phone user, I find Wind to have sufficient speed at or around 7-10 mbps. For a phone, the difference between that and whatever higher is really meaningless, since you aren't going to be running heavy downloading from a phone.

Fair price, reliable service, good performance.

To contrast, robelus service is unreliable, and billing is practically criminal -- not just because of high prices, but because of random made-up charges that they like to add just to see if you'll pay it.
eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
·Distributel Cable

Re: You obviously work for robelus.

you are obviously clueless if you think I'm a shill. say what you want about robelus but they are NOT unreliable, I despise their billing dept and high prices but they do actually work. I've gotten 7-10mbps before BUT only in the middle of nowhere or 5am heres a test I took yesterday at midnight to prove my point
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/924634466

Review by babu See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "nothing but good manipulative liars"
Bad "Unreliable network and providing false information"
Overall "stay very far away.."

I started a new job that forced me to travel to the USA for work 1-2 weeks a month. After a few trips on the road without data/internet, I got fed up and decided to get a data plan that would let me tether to my ipad so I could work on the road.

My colleague has a AT&T data plan that was quite fast. I was going to sign up for one myself but then Wind Mobile had a $39 promotion for Unlimited Talk,Text, and Data in CAN and US. This sounded quite appealing so I went to a Wind Mobile booth in Markville Mall to confirm. I told the staff I needed data in the States to tether so I could use my laptop and ipad. He told me Wind partnered with AT&T so I will be getting 4G network in most places. This was awesome- it was exactly what I was looking for. However, my current cell phone was not compatible with Wind so I ended up having to buy a Nexus 5. He told me I could get a full return if i return it within 14 days and less than 15 minutes of talk time if I was not satisfied.

The following Monday, I tried it after landing in Chicago. It took ~10 minutes to connect to the AT&T network, and when it did connect, the data was extremely slow. My coworker's Note 2 was getting 15Mb/s while mine was getting barely 1Mb/s- both tethering to my ipad. It was like that throughout the day so I packed it up to return it back to Wind. I went to return the phone and the staff said I would get a full refund since it was within 14 days and 0 mins of talk time- the plastic cover on the phone was not even peeled off. A few days later, I got a bill from Wind with a ~$10 balance. I thought it was a mistake so I ignored it- thinking their system might not have gotten updated.

After about 2 months, I got a letter from a credit collection agency saying I still have a balance with Wind. I called Wind immediately describing what happened but they said they have no record on their system indicating that the staff told me I would get a full refund within 14 days and 0 talk time. A bunch of bull crap. I dont mind paying the $10 but send me a letter or something before sending me to the credit collection agency!

Comments:

freddie

@206.108.171.x

wind freedom 35

Aug 2,2014 I purchased a wind stick with $35.00 Unlimited data, after 5 days of watching movies, no downloading the wind Freedom 35 stop working, the sales lady @Westwood mall in Malton never explain that there was a GB limitation. The advertisement is just a gimmick to entice customers. Watch out new customers who are planning to get this plan, its all a bluff and fake.

i rather go to Mcdonald or wendys, tim Hortons for a free Wifi.
markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

Looks like OP used a week or so of service.

This review is not clear on what the $10 was for.

You get a full refund on the device (which is what sounds like what happened), but you still have to pay for the service. If the OP used about a week of service, the bill for service would be about $10 with taxes based on a $39 per month plan.

Wind gave this person what they said they would, they were not satisfied and got all their money back, minus the $10 of service they used. They still have to pay the bill for service and can't just ignore it. They got fair warning (a bill), ignored it and Wind went to collections with it. Nothing wrong there.