WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by holyspirit See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Bad "I was always billed extra then the plan and for 3 months has a dysfunctional service at my home"
Overall "WIND DID NOT WORK on lawrence west and weston rd"

·Acanac
I had no idea that a cell phone service can be dysfunctional and kept trying to make it work for 3 months in the mean time lost money, precious time and good energy.
I a now with kodoo that works. The negative repurcussions do not stop there

THEY KEPT OVERCHARGING ALMOST EVERY MONTH over the agreed upon plan!

and they kept being abusive when i went to their warranty center..charging me for accessories which clearly refused before the purchase and had to go back for the refund and they also dissuaded me to stop using the warranty which was totally my right and lost over 500 on a sony experia in my return/trade in since i thought the problem was the phone.

all in all i lost close to 1000.00 on WIND and all due to bad service

------600 on phone and 55 X3 months of very bad service and 30 X 2 for unlocking 2 phones which shouldn't have been done in the first place

Comments:

Review by dillyhammer See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "$85 for 2 lines, unlimited everything + tethering. It's NOT ROBELLUS. :)"
Bad "Spotty coverage in some areas, throttled data after 10G"
Overall "Decent service, dirt cheap for 2 lines"

·Start Communicat..
My Wind connection doubles as my internet backup, so if Rogers farts around or whatever, I'm covered. And it has come to that a few times. I can get 12/1 out of my phone no problem, which is as good or better than any aDSL2+ connection I can get here.

The coverage is spotty on some areas and inside certain buildings.

Almost all CSR personnel I have spoken to are either offshore or TFW - poor English and worse CS skills. Point being, don't call them unless you have to.

Also, don't be fooled by their lack of contracts. Their Windtab is the same damn thing, just works a little differently but the end result is the same - it costs you big bucks to leave before your tab is paid off.

member for 4.5 years, 1408 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Unlimited Calling/Global Texting/Data for $44.07/month taxes in."
Bad "WIND Zone expansion slow."
Overall "If you live in a WIND Zone and don't leave the zone often, you should be saving yourself $40+/month on WIND."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I have two lines on WIND. I pay $88.14/month for both lines, taxes included. I was paying $81/month for one line with Rogers. If you live in a city WIND covers and don't leave often, I can't see why you wouldn't want to save yourself 50% compared to the Big/Little 3.

They recently started closing some holes within WIND Zones, but have slowed expansion into other areas. Realistically, I think they should work on enveloping the QEW with service. They also skipped out on the 700MHz spectrum auction. This would have allowed them to deploy LTE so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Some people are adamant that WIND is failing/will fail and will close up shop. Even if that were true, I'll still have saved over 50% for the last few years.

member for 12.1 years, 3129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Elizabeth w

@199.119.233.x

warnining!!The worrest phone company in history! !!!

I went in the store trying to get my data service finally up and running on one of my phone lines I have with them. Even tho I had the plan with data included on all my lines, this one never worked but I was still being billed the full amount for over a year now. While I was there I asked about including the world wide plan and how much it would save/cost me. The girl at the store opened my account and told me that my plan I had for 4 years already includes worldwide plan and that I was simply unaware of it and should've known better. She pulled out a brochure and told me it would cost me 25 cents per minute to call a country I requested. By the end of the month I received a text from wind specifying my bill is now $546.00 dollars!!! Yap. I called them only to be met with nasty attitude and complete
unprofessionalism. I was told that according to the plan I have, international call costs me 1.75 dollars not 25 cents. They also said it is my responsibility to recognize when told wrong information at the store and that the company will not take any kind of responsibility for any wrong information provided by their staff at any store location. After being transferred from one supervisor to another, the hour long phone call ended with an offer of 8 dollars off if I decided to purchase world wide plan in the future. Eight!! dollars off of my next purchase? ??. What made the whole thing worse is the fact that I have been with this company for years and tolerated soo much including their horrible network connection, being over billed often, being billed for servies i never used or asked to be added, absolutely despicable customer service and so on just to keep my number the same. Not any more, after thousands of dollars drained I'm finally quitting. By the way, don't fall for the "no plan" marketing...it's a scam. They tell you you get your phone on a tab which basically means if you cancel their service, you'd have to pay full amount for the phone. Stay away..

Review by alback See Profile

• Location: Midhurst,ON
Good "best value, connection"
Bad "customer service empathy"
Overall "excellent once everything is set + know your limitations"

I live in Springwater township and use Rogers Internet (cable), and Rogers cell phone. I needed internet at an office in Mississauga for email and file transfer (business only). Getting a hard installation was out of the question, wireless connection was my best option.

My first consideration was Rogers, but I was not prepared to sign up for a long term. The rates were expensive, and the usage costs could be high along with several extra charges as read on reviews here at dsl.

I heard about Wind here and checked them out 3 months ago. Unlimited (not really I'm told) but I have never used more than 2GB in a month, no contract term and 10% of my fee goes towards my device purchase until it has covered the purchase cost. You aren't charged the device, the value rests on account and is payable (diminishing balance) should you leave Wind.

The first device was the $29 stick, but it wouldn't work with my older laptop. I returned to the Wind kiosk at Georgian mall, the people there were amazing and spent about an hour trying to get this stick to load into my laptop. Finally, I told them to help others while I sort it out myself, however when I turned my laptop around the stick device caught my heavy laptop bag and cracked the stick. It still functioned however the accident made me realize how easily the stick could be broken.

They recommended the Huawei E583C Pocket Hotspot at $99, which I accepted. I offered to pay for the broken stick, which they declined. A bonus was the HotSpot had no problems connecting to my laptop, and it was not as susceptible to break. There were some issues getting the HotSpot to replace my device on the plan (the 29 credit etc). In about 20 minutes I was on my way.

I did run into some problems entering my Wind account (pin) a couple of days later and found the customer service to borderline on rude. The Wind site could use some improvements, same with the Rogers. However everything has worked flawlessly for 3 months now.

I set my device not to accept Roaming, and turn it on in Mississauga 98% of the time. The other time I turn it on at home to connect to my system as an outside ip address to verify some settings.

Connection speed is fine for my use, much slower than my Rogers cable, but as I am using email and small file transfers. All is adequate.

Billing has been spot on, no extra charges whatsoever. Overall, this device is perfect for my use, and has not failed yet or dropped a signal. I do agree with another review where the battery needs charging each day, but it plugs into your laptop so this is not a problem for me.

Update: Nov 30 2012.

Very pleased with this provider, I have yet to have any issues with connection or billing. I have used this from my vehicle also, just check for Wind Home, very handy. Speed is not super, but I am not downloading anything other than business data.

Update Jun 29 2014.

No longer using Wind, paid for my device, kept on a smaller program which I was not using at all. I decided to take advantage of the pay as you go, it fit my usage. I left a deposit with Wind, but still didn't use the service for 5 months.

Finally when I went to use the connection, I was de-listed as a customer, no notice whatsoever. My deposit gone. Apparently their policy is to drop your account if you do not use it for 90 days. To re-instate, it requires a $25 per month fee plus a new sim card $30. Not happening, no longer pleased with this company.

Comments:

Review by Accurim See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Cheap, unlimited talk,txt, "unlimited data""
Bad "Very slow data almost unusable sometimes, dropped calls, no signal in my building in Richmond Hill,ON"
Overall "Would not go back for this service, I paid $300 just to cancel with them."

I was on 'Holiday Miracle Plan' at $40 a month before tax which included basically unlimited everything. The prices were cheap and gave you a lot but unfortunately the data is very slow to the point of almost being unusuable sometimes. I was with WIND for 2.5 years and hoped it would get better eventually but the data is still slow to this day and now where I work I get 0 signal when I'm inside the building and my phone likes to go on roaming. I paid $300 to pay off my tab with WIND on my old Nexus S phone and I would never go back to them.

Comments:

cancelled

@216.40.103.x

the worst customer service

Was over charged for months by Wind Mobile for a service that I cancelled months ago. Called their customer service center to speak to a customer service rep only to be told that's it's my own fault for not checking my invoice every month. Oh then their supervisor decided to hang up on me!

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Actually offers value for money unlike the Big 3"
Bad "Nothing really. Coverage is a trade off but it's not bad where I live"
Overall "Far more enjoyable than the $67 I was spending on Bell"

Update March 2014:

Still enjoying WIND. Prices are great and the service and coverage only seems to improve. Was in the US a few weeks ago and my wife (also on WIND) added $15/month package to her phone for calls/texts/data while there. I believe it was linked up to T-Mobile in the States. Coverage seemed fine as did the speeds. Good value and nice to not have to worry about it costing a fortune.

Apart from a fairly rural area near my home I can drive from Guelph the whole way to Toronto or down to Niagara Falls and be in service pretty much the whole way.

Billing has been accurate and the online account portal is pretty easy to use.

---
Original Review:
Was about 1 year into a 3 year contract with Bell paying $67 a month for 200 local minutes, free calls to 10 favourite numbers and 6GB data. Service was fine as was coverage but the price was just too high.

Joining WIND on their $30 plan made sense. Bell charged $420 to buy out the last 2 years of contract but by saving over $30 a month it'll take barely a year to recover that.

Finding WIND great so far. Bought a Huawei Ascend W1 Windows Phone 8. Pretty basic device but the battery life is great - 3 full days easily on a charge.

My wife is also on WIND so we "bundled" and get an extra $5 off a month so my half of the deal actually costs just $27.50. Hard to beat.

I live in the middle of Guelph so get pretty good coverage at 3G or 4G depending on how it's feeling. Most of my travel is around the GTA/Hamilton so I'm rarely without service. Even if I do go into the "Roaming" zone I'm not a massive caller so it might cost a dollar or two for those calls I make. Definitely not making a dent in the big savings I make over Bell. I also get useful features like Caller Display which I didn't get on Bell despite paying a small fortune.

Speeds are not as fast as Bell but that was to be expected. They aren't terrible though. Tend to average out between 3-7Mbit/s download and about 0.5Mbit upload. Perfectly fine for most people.

"Unlimited" data is actually closer to 5GB and then it slows down but I don't think I've ever used that much either on WIND or Bell before that. Probably 2GB tops so it's fine.

Really for the price it's hard to have any complaints. Guys in the kiosk at the local mall are fairly knowledgeable and friendly and service has been reliable in the month since I switched. If you live in a well covered area and don't spend a lot of time travelling in more rural areas there is little reason to stay with the likes of Bell, Rogers or Telus. They are just too expensive in my view. Pretty much 100% across the board. Rated a little lower for "Connection" because coverage isn't as good and I've had one or two dropped calls but it's really rather minor.

Comments:

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Pay Your Way (Grandfathered), Price"
Bad "No Home Zone Coverage Outside Major Cities"
Overall "Not Bell, Rogers or Telus"

Used the Pay Your Way service mainly in Calgary in 2012 and 2013 and had no issues what so ever with signal or call quality anywhere in the city. Even underground I could get a signal.

I top it out for $40 every 6 months and for the price its really good. The unused rollover is a very nice feature. Mainly use VoIP on the phone via Wi-Fi at home and work, so when I actually need to use the cell phone network, its a great fall back.

In Ontario, the Home Zone coverage is mainly in the GTA but the signal quality doesn't seem to be as good as Calgary. The coverage geographically is significantly larger though. I've had issues with roaming on Rogers in Ontario as it can take a few *minutes* to authenticate with their towers and call quality has been poor.

Update February 2014
---------------------
They now send a text message every time I use the Pay Your Way reminding that there is now a $2 price cap, in a Home Zone for the day. While its a good price for when you need unlimited for a day, its annoying to keep getting the text message.

I am also grandfathered for unlimited incoming calls in the Wind Home Zone but unfortunately for new customers, that option is no longer available.

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "It does just what is advertised"
Bad "Spotty coverage - spotty customer service"
Overall "Does what is required at way lower cost than big 3"

·TekSavvy Cable
Was on Rogers but got fed up with poor coverage when contract expired.
Was on Bell but got fed up with "new charges" as they decided to expire what turned out to be "promotions" and coverage locally got worse.

Went to Wind. Half the price for similar coverage. I don't go into Wind Away areas too often, but the roaming costs on Wind are only about 5c per min more than the LD charges I used to pay on Bell when roaming in Bell territory ... so, the difference of $30 could cover a LOT of roaming. My phones can be used in Europe by changing SIM.

Originally had a Nokia phone that decided to hang up on UMTS calls ... but worked fine on GSM calls! Changed to a Blackberry and it's great. It's getting paid off slowly.

Call quality is fine.

6 March 2014 ... Update

Coverage slowly improves. The blackberry works better in lower signal areas than the Nokia did. Managed to lose my sim while travelling abroad (used a Lebara sim in europe) and Wind store replaced it n/c and within 5 minutes (powering up a blackberry is like pouring mollasses ... S L O W)

I'm still happy I'm with Wind.

member for 12.6 years, 6279 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Savvy

@rogers.com

Wind Network

Wind plan is great! Reception from 3 wind phones that we have as a family is not the greatest. Often, when picking up coming calls there is no connection the first time. Not sure if Wind knows about poor quality reception.

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "I got my cake and I can eat it too"
Bad "Urban coverage only. Expansion has slowed down this year as compared to last."
Overall "A good alternative Cell phone company."

Feb 24, 2014

----------------

Things are good still. I switched to a Nexus 5 purchased direct from Google. I needed the smaller SIM. The guy at the wind store said that I could take it to the corporate run store and get a smaller one for free or for $5 he could punch a smaller card out of the one in my phone. I choose the convenience option. The first time I roamed after that the phone acted funny (wouldn't complete calls and gave an error) but a reboot fixed that. Occasionally data seems slow to respond even though I have 3+ bars. In these situations a speed test shows almost nil upload speed but decent download speed. Not sure if I should blame Wind, my phone or geography and the laws of physics on that issue.

Aug 2, 2013

------------------

Penny charge issues are resolved. I can now turn off roaming data from within my online account so it is now blocked server side and not phone side. The speeds are still pretty good here in London but have slowed a bit with the gaining popularity in London. There have been significantly less network expansions this year. Likely due to Wind trying to figure out what their long term plan is. I am looking forward to strengthened coverage in London (ie sometimes I lose signal in malls and grocery stores) and hopefully they will expand to the smaller towns and the roads to them that surround London.

January 18, 2013

------------------------

My review is the same as below. However I would like to add I occasionally get penny charges for roaming data (even on days I don't leave the city). Unclear if it is a bug with my phone or not but when roaming the phone doesn't use the data. The Nexus S even fully updated can run a bit slow so I wonder if it sometimes is slow to turn off the data if switching to roaming.

June 2, 2012

-------------------

Things have been great with my Nexus S on the Christmas Miracle plan. I'm very happy with the company and the service. 3G speeds both up and down have tested as high as 5 mbps but are usually between 1-3 during peak times. I am looking forward to them expanding the coverage area. No surprise fees except they do charge 10 cents to send / reply to short codes, to get them is free. If they fix that they will be 5/5 stars for value.

member for 11.3 years, 1563 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by juan See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Price, coverage is improving, price when on international"
Bad "ABSOLUTE LACK OF COMMUNICATION"
Overall "They are designed to sell and operate but there is NOT communication with the customer"

·FreePhoneLine
I am a happy customer and have been one since 2012. don't get me wrong.

They have customer service on the phone but email... FORGET about it! they have NEVER answer one... there is an APP on the phone to communicate with them... COMPLETELY USELESS, doesn't work, after you write your emeail or SMS you get an error message.

BB 10.2.1 has been released early this week... there is NO information at all about when Wind will have it (for Z10 at least). The customer service person on the phone think you are an idiot and ask you to check on their website for the news about that release... they KNOW WELL there is NO information whatsoever on their website about any update, there is no forum and no communication section in their website... just PHONES, DEVICES and WHY WIND IS THE BEST section.

MESSAGE TO WIND: Try... at least try to make us believe our comments and concerns are valuable and be brave to open a "review" section, a "forum", an "Information" section... try to pretend that you are in communication with your customers... that is communication 101

Other than that I am a happy customer (must of the time) that might not go back to Rogers or Bell... might not.