WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Competitive Prices, Decent coverage, Good features"
Bad "Occasional Spotty Coverage, Sufficient speeds"
Overall "Good value for money, no problems"

·Start Communicat..
I have been with WIND for about 1.5 years now. I had a promotional credit of $10 off for the first 3 months since I found a coupon online through an e-magazine subscription. Wind is constantly advertising new plans with attractive features usually for around $30-$40. I'm with the basic $30 province-wide calling, unlimited everything package. Of course the 5 GB data limits means you can't really do anything useful with your phone in terms of tethering but its decent enough for an occasional day or two when your home internet is offline or when you're outside of your house with no WiFi coverage, or in need of a GPS app / mail check-up. I have had no issues as to of date.

If you want to switch phones, and the sim card size is not the same, they make you deactivate your old one and cough up $10 each time. There's no way to re-activate a deactivated sim card, unfortunately. As far as customer support goes, they are good if you visit to one of their terminals or booths inside malls or official stores (with a huge wind size banner or logo on the front of the store), and not a third-party vendor with an affiliation for wind (usually those little computer tech shops). I have never bothered with e-mailing or phoning in, but I have heard rumors of it not being as top-notch.

Coverage is weaker in basements, and if you are deep enough inside some insulated buildings, you might not get coverage at all. However, in terms of residential buildings, wind coverage is not really a problem. If you're on the highway, chances are you'll see wind go from 1 to 5 bars, swaying back and forth depending on where you are located, and your relative proximity to a phone tower. Usually its a good 3-5 bars if you live in southern Ontario or one of the more densely-populated areas/cities/towns. Rarely, but sometimes, you might encounter a "wind away" zone in the outskirts of the city or in some dead spots-- but it's not likely you will stay in such an area for an extensive period of time without phone service.

Typical download speeds are 4 - 8 Mbps, and up to 12 Mbps on exceptionally good days. Upload speeds are usually hovering around 100KBs at maximum.

member for 1.1 years, 15 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MysticGuitar See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Inexpensive, no contracts, reliable network, unlimited everything"
Bad "Poor customer support, limited coverage area"
Overall "Wind is a very inexpensive cell phone network with a small coverage area."

·Cogeco Cable
The Wind $40 Monthly plan is by far one of the best deals available, but it isn't without its own faults. While the plan claims to offer Unlimited data, there is actually a soft limit of 5GB in place. After the 5GB limit is reached, your data usage is slowed down to a significantly slower rate, making any kind of intensive internet applications nonfunctional for the remainder of the month.

Additionally, Wind advertises as offering a service that does not enforce any type of contracts. While this claim is technically accurate if you were to bring your own phone for use on the Wind network. If you decided to instead take advantage of the WindTab service, you are essentially agreeing to a contract period of two years, or until the value of your phone is paid off in full. It's a slightly different contract concept, but is still a contract nonetheless, and early cancellation fees are enforced. (for the remaining value of your phone)

Data transfer speed is slower than I would have liked. I'm personally averaging 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, though this varies greatly depending on time of day and my current location. It's worth noting that all of my speed tests were done inside of a solid concrete building, which verges at the very edge of the Wind coverage map. The maximum speed I have seen was 9 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. This speed also seems to be more or less the average during late night tests.

As for signal quality, I've had absolutely no problems with loss of signal or dropped calls, even inside of my apartment building. However, loss of signal is said to be a common problem among other Wind customers, especially in shopping malls and other large enclosed venues.

Sadly, the quality of Wind's technical support services are low. It took me well over an hour to get a minor billing error resolved, and during this call, I was transferred over to three separate agents before my problem was resolved. There was also a minor problem at the local Wind store, where one of the in-store agents was unable to properly configure my account to automatically charge my credit card, forcing me to sign into their online account area to configure my billing preferences. While this wasn't a major inconvenience, and was resolved rather quickly using Wind's online area, it was something that could have been avoided.

All in all, Wind Mobile is the very best cell phone network that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are reliable, inexpensive and generally a pleasure to be with.

member for 2.3 years, 415 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Valendite

Not really a contract

Umm not paying for the remainder of your phone's balance unless you cancel is not a contract. It's like saying you get a rebate for the entire phone's balance if you stay with us for two years. Assume the following scenarios.

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $720 + 13% tax + $200 = $920 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You windtabbed it for 24 months.
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $520 + 13% tax
You saved money. Effectively $200 = not paid at all

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + $200 = $560 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You windtabbed it for 12 months.
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + ($200 - ($3 x 12) = $164) = $514 + tax
You saved money. Effectively $36 off. Slightly lower than deprecation value, phone probably worth $120 now, but better than the above scenario you see.

Think about it. You are either pay NOW or LATER for your phone. And the case is NEVER if you stick with them for two years... that's like making wind pay 25% of the cost of their phones or so (volume price for $200 phone is probably like $50)..

Factor in inflation and your dollars are worth less later, making it actually cheaper to put it on windtab even if you decide to NOT stick with them for two years. Jeez. You NEED a phone anyways to USE ANY carrier.
MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

Re: Not really a contract

said by Valendite:

In my review, I mentioned that Wind does not technically enforce any contracts, but that the WindTab is essentially the same general concept. You're still forced to stay for a two year term, or else you'll have to pay for the remaining value of your phone. Sure, it isn't a traditional contact, but the general idea is still there. Stay two years, or pay to cancel early.

To me, a contract is a type of legal agreement between myself and the company that requires for me to commit to a given number of years of service, or else I pay early cancellation fees for voiding my end of the contract.
WindTab is really just a clever way to mask a two-year contract. You can still cancel at any time, but you'll have to pay whatever balance you owe on your account.
If you stay for the full two years, the contract that you had with Wind is no longer active, as your 'tab' is paid off in full. After that, you can cancel at any time with no additional charges.

Sure, the way Wind operates is likely a major advantage for most consumers. However, to state that they do not enforce any contracts, and then require that you pay what's left of your tab before you can legally cancel. That itself is a type of contractual agreement between you and the company. Even if it isn't worded or marketed as such, it is still considered a contract by law, and is one that Wind can legally enforce if ever they see fit.

Re: Not really a contract

I don't know, you are not really paying them per se. If the nominal cost of a phone is $200 and they get charged $200 (probably not, but maybe apple does with their iPhones with other carriers), they are not really making any money from you cancelling--effectively you are paying the phone by letting their profit margins make up for the cost of the phone and the service with the surplus being whats left over of the amortized payments.

Lets assume that no carriers offer any phone discounts, and you have to pay the full value of the phone upfront. Whether you cancel or not, now you're always worse off than a discount % or rebate % per month for staying with them, right? In my mind, no phones are free. If no phones are free, and you did not have a service with them but instead were to finance it with monthly payments, wouldn't that be more of a contract? In my mind I just find the word contract would be more suited to something like... a cancellation fee that not does not involve paying for the ownership of an item, like the $100/$200+ costs that carriers/tv companies charged back then for ending a 2-year or 3-year contract early, plus the phone.

I get what you mean, but if you had to pay the phone anyways, in the case of no carriers rebating or discounting your phone for having to stay with them as a loyal customer, it just doesn't feel like the word contract is appropriate for it. It's like having amazon prime for $79 yearly and if you stay with them for 2 full years, they give your highest purchase up to $300 for free (a TV...) once. The service is just "extra" on top of what you would have to pay for anyways "tv". Eh oh well.

·Start Communicat..
For example, I go to Apple and get an iPhone 5S for $799.

I make monthly payments towards Apple. I go to wind and they have a deal where if I stick with wind, wind pays $20 per month and the entirety of it after two years. If I cancel wind, they will not pay Apple anymore. That's how I see it anyways. But again I get your point, it is enforceable by wind.

asif_bana

@199.7.157.x

customer service

Cheap always cheap
I bought $45 plan with Samsung s3, and i also bought cover and screen guard for $25 extra.
the sales representative on 1thorncliffe park drive gave me the wrong screen guard of s4.
Now after 3 weeks when I was going to change i found its wrong screen guard..I gone to the location were I bought it..now there are different salesperson, instead of talking manager he wants me to talk on 611 for only screen guard which I want to exchange for s3.
This guys when they want to sell their products they are so nice after when you go for some reason they behave like we are fucking cheap...
I am sooo upset

Review by DragonSpyre See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Exactly what they advertise what more can you ask for"
Bad "I have encountered nothing"
Overall "If you want to save money this will do just that"

I am currently on a Wind promotional 39 plan. This service includes the following.

Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada wide Picture /Video Messaging
Unlimited US wide Picture / Video Messaging
Unlimited Canada wide Texting
Unlimited Canada wide Calling
Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
Use your features anywhere on our network
Fair Usage Policy Applies

This plan was tested to work in the USA and was excellent on T-Mobile, at no extra charge I may add. I brought my own Nexus 4 and was off and surfing, calling and messaging the same day. The support staff who sold me the plan gave me nothing but solid service and really knew his product. I am now using a Nexus 5 with the service and have encountered no problems what so ever. I live in a rater urban area so I have no issues with coverage and I find that during any time of the day I have fast reliable internet and phone service. Was paying Rogers over $105 dollars per month for next to no data and nothing else. Switched to Koodo for a while and was paying them $66 for 6GB of data and comparable features. Saw Wind offer unlimited everything for $44 dollars with tax and I was sold. I may not have Voicemail with this plan but I don't miss it. I really hope that Wind will be around for the long haul and give the Canadian telecom industry the kick in the ass that it desperately needs to come back down to reality.

member for 5.2 years, 2128 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Ber

@184.151.231.x

Huawei mate 2

my wife signed up with Wind a couple days ago and got this big phone. Network is good so far but what impresses me is the phone-not its size but the control you have on the installed apps. I can limit apps their access to internet thru wifi or mobile network and other features like sweep all open apps at once and system tune up and the suspend but tom. I wonder why no reviewer on Youtube mention these wonderful features?? This phone run as fast as my Nexus 5 with a decent display and camera but it costs half the price of those high end Samsung or HTC phones which are obesed with many unwanted apps and that's why I bought my N5. Now for sure I will replace my N5 when Wind has a 5 inch version mate2.

Review by nzakanzaka See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great price for unlimited text, voice and data"
Bad "Coverage in some areas"
Overall "Tell me who has a better price for the same service, and I'll switch. None yet."

I was one of those who signed up early with Wind. Service was terrible in those days, but I'm glad I sat through their troubled days. I got the Super Smart plan for all members of my family, and Wind has always extended it since 2010. I have unlimited data to go with unlimited global texting and 24-hour unlimited voice, voicemail, etc. One of my daughters thought she knew better and went over to one of the big three. She doesn't have half of my package, but she ends up paying up to $85 in some months for sub-par service. I have frequently used my BlackBerry as a modem on the Wind network, and I can't complain about the speed.

The voice quality has seen a fantastic improvement, and the customer service has also improved. For $29 plus tax I'm not complaining.

Comments:

Review by eeeaddict See Profile

Good "ok roaming in usa"
Bad "slow, no coverage, random issues"
Overall "if you NEED data and can't afford anything more this is your only option"

·Distributel Cable
TERRIBLE SERVICE. I have a phone that gets 30mbps on other networks yet on wind usually cant even get 1meg, so far they've accidentally disable my sim 3 times (asking for voicemail) been clueless every time I had a problem and can't even keep track of my pin since it seems to change between three different ones at random. if you're downtown most of the time service is ok but honestly if you use less than 1gb of data a month you're seriously better off with any other carrier

UPDATE: Coverage is a bit better in some areas but speeds are still useless at any special event (fireworks, hockey games, etc)

member for 4.5 years, 628 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Somebodysmwr

@70.25.19.x

You obviously work for robelus.

As a phone user, I find Wind to have sufficient speed at or around 7-10 mbps. For a phone, the difference between that and whatever higher is really meaningless, since you aren't going to be running heavy downloading from a phone.

Fair price, reliable service, good performance.

To contrast, robelus service is unreliable, and billing is practically criminal -- not just because of high prices, but because of random made-up charges that they like to add just to see if you'll pay it.
eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
·Distributel Cable

Re: You obviously work for robelus.

you are obviously clueless if you think I'm a shill. say what you want about robelus but they are NOT unreliable, I despise their billing dept and high prices but they do actually work. I've gotten 7-10mbps before BUT only in the middle of nowhere or 5am heres a test I took yesterday at midnight to prove my point
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/924634466

Review by babu See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "nothing but good manipulative liars"
Bad "Unreliable network and providing false information"
Overall "stay very far away.."

I started a new job that forced me to travel to the USA for work 1-2 weeks a month. After a few trips on the road without data/internet, I got fed up and decided to get a data plan that would let me tether to my ipad so I could work on the road.

My colleague has a AT&T data plan that was quite fast. I was going to sign up for one myself but then Wind Mobile had a $39 promotion for Unlimited Talk,Text, and Data in CAN and US. This sounded quite appealing so I went to a Wind Mobile booth in Markville Mall to confirm. I told the staff I needed data in the States to tether so I could use my laptop and ipad. He told me Wind partnered with AT&T so I will be getting 4G network in most places. This was awesome- it was exactly what I was looking for. However, my current cell phone was not compatible with Wind so I ended up having to buy a Nexus 5. He told me I could get a full return if i return it within 14 days and less than 15 minutes of talk time if I was not satisfied.

The following Monday, I tried it after landing in Chicago. It took ~10 minutes to connect to the AT&T network, and when it did connect, the data was extremely slow. My coworker's Note 2 was getting 15Mb/s while mine was getting barely 1Mb/s- both tethering to my ipad. It was like that throughout the day so I packed it up to return it back to Wind. I went to return the phone and the staff said I would get a full refund since it was within 14 days and 0 mins of talk time- the plastic cover on the phone was not even peeled off. A few days later, I got a bill from Wind with a ~$10 balance. I thought it was a mistake so I ignored it- thinking their system might not have gotten updated.

After about 2 months, I got a letter from a credit collection agency saying I still have a balance with Wind. I called Wind immediately describing what happened but they said they have no record on their system indicating that the staff told me I would get a full refund within 14 days and 0 talk time. A bunch of bull crap. I dont mind paying the $10 but send me a letter or something before sending me to the credit collection agency!

Comments:

freddie

@206.108.171.x

wind freedom 35

Aug 2,2014 I purchased a wind stick with $35.00 Unlimited data, after 5 days of watching movies, no downloading the wind Freedom 35 stop working, the sales lady @Westwood mall in Malton never explain that there was a GB limitation. The advertisement is just a gimmick to entice customers. Watch out new customers who are planning to get this plan, its all a bluff and fake.

i rather go to Mcdonald or wendys, tim Hortons for a free Wifi.
markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

Looks like OP used a week or so of service.

This review is not clear on what the $10 was for.

You get a full refund on the device (which is what sounds like what happened), but you still have to pay for the service. If the OP used about a week of service, the bill for service would be about $10 with taxes based on a $39 per month plan.

Wind gave this person what they said they would, they were not satisfied and got all their money back, minus the $10 of service they used. They still have to pay the bill for service and can't just ignore it. They got fair warning (a bill), ignored it and Wind went to collections with it. Nothing wrong there.

Review by holyspirit See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Bad "I was always billed extra then the plan and for 3 months has a dysfunctional service at my home"
Overall "WIND DID NOT WORK on lawrence west and weston rd"

·Acanac
I had no idea that a cell phone service can be dysfunctional and kept trying to make it work for 3 months in the mean time lost money, precious time and good energy.
I a now with kodoo that works. The negative repurcussions do not stop there

THEY KEPT OVERCHARGING ALMOST EVERY MONTH over the agreed upon plan!

and they kept being abusive when i went to their warranty center..charging me for accessories which clearly refused before the purchase and had to go back for the refund and they also dissuaded me to stop using the warranty which was totally my right and lost over 500 on a sony experia in my return/trade in since i thought the problem was the phone.

all in all i lost close to 1000.00 on WIND and all due to bad service

------600 on phone and 55 X3 months of very bad service and 30 X 2 for unlocking 2 phones which shouldn't have been done in the first place

Comments:

Review by dillyhammer See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "$85 for 2 lines, unlimited everything + tethering. It's NOT ROBELLUS. :)"
Bad "Spotty coverage in some areas, throttled data after 10G"
Overall "Decent service, dirt cheap for 2 lines"

·Start Communicat..
My Wind connection doubles as my internet backup, so if Rogers farts around or whatever, I'm covered. And it has come to that a few times. I can get 12/1 out of my phone no problem, which is as good or better than any aDSL2+ connection I can get here.

The coverage is spotty on some areas and inside certain buildings.

Almost all CSR personnel I have spoken to are either offshore or TFW - poor English and worse CS skills. Point being, don't call them unless you have to.

Also, don't be fooled by their lack of contracts. Their Windtab is the same damn thing, just works a little differently but the end result is the same - it costs you big bucks to leave before your tab is paid off.

Comments:

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Unlimited Calling/Global Texting/Data for $44.07/month taxes in."
Bad "WIND Zone expansion slow."
Overall "If you live in a WIND Zone and don't leave the zone often, you should be saving yourself $40+/month on WIND."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I have two lines on WIND. I pay $88.14/month for both lines, taxes included. I was paying $81/month for one line with Rogers. If you live in a city WIND covers and don't leave often, I can't see why you wouldn't want to save yourself 50% compared to the Big/Little 3.

They recently started closing some holes within WIND Zones, but have slowed expansion into other areas. Realistically, I think they should work on enveloping the QEW with service. They also skipped out on the 700MHz spectrum auction. This would have allowed them to deploy LTE so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Some people are adamant that WIND is failing/will fail and will close up shop. Even if that were true, I'll still have saved over 50% for the last few years.

Comments:

Elizabeth w

@199.119.233.x

warnining!!The worrest phone company in history! !!!

I went in the store trying to get my data service finally up and running on one of my phone lines I have with them. Even tho I had the plan with data included on all my lines, this one never worked but I was still being billed the full amount for over a year now. While I was there I asked about including the world wide plan and how much it would save/cost me. The girl at the store opened my account and told me that my plan I had for 4 years already includes worldwide plan and that I was simply unaware of it and should've known better. She pulled out a brochure and told me it would cost me 25 cents per minute to call a country I requested. By the end of the month I received a text from wind specifying my bill is now $546.00 dollars!!! Yap. I called them only to be met with nasty attitude and complete
unprofessionalism. I was told that according to the plan I have, international call costs me 1.75 dollars not 25 cents. They also said it is my responsibility to recognize when told wrong information at the store and that the company will not take any kind of responsibility for any wrong information provided by their staff at any store location. After being transferred from one supervisor to another, the hour long phone call ended with an offer of 8 dollars off if I decided to purchase world wide plan in the future. Eight!! dollars off of my next purchase? ??. What made the whole thing worse is the fact that I have been with this company for years and tolerated soo much including their horrible network connection, being over billed often, being billed for servies i never used or asked to be added, absolutely despicable customer service and so on just to keep my number the same. Not any more, after thousands of dollars drained I'm finally quitting. By the way, don't fall for the "no plan" marketing...it's a scam. They tell you you get your phone on a tab which basically means if you cancel their service, you'd have to pay full amount for the phone. Stay away..

Review by alback See Profile

• Location: Midhurst,ON
Good "best value, connection"
Bad "customer service empathy"
Overall "excellent once everything is set + know your limitations"

I live in Springwater township and use Rogers Internet (cable), and Rogers cell phone. I needed internet at an office in Mississauga for email and file transfer (business only). Getting a hard installation was out of the question, wireless connection was my best option.

My first consideration was Rogers, but I was not prepared to sign up for a long term. The rates were expensive, and the usage costs could be high along with several extra charges as read on reviews here at dsl.

I heard about Wind here and checked them out 3 months ago. Unlimited (not really I'm told) but I have never used more than 2GB in a month, no contract term and 10% of my fee goes towards my device purchase until it has covered the purchase cost. You aren't charged the device, the value rests on account and is payable (diminishing balance) should you leave Wind.

The first device was the $29 stick, but it wouldn't work with my older laptop. I returned to the Wind kiosk at Georgian mall, the people there were amazing and spent about an hour trying to get this stick to load into my laptop. Finally, I told them to help others while I sort it out myself, however when I turned my laptop around the stick device caught my heavy laptop bag and cracked the stick. It still functioned however the accident made me realize how easily the stick could be broken.

They recommended the Huawei E583C Pocket Hotspot at $99, which I accepted. I offered to pay for the broken stick, which they declined. A bonus was the HotSpot had no problems connecting to my laptop, and it was not as susceptible to break. There were some issues getting the HotSpot to replace my device on the plan (the 29 credit etc). In about 20 minutes I was on my way.

I did run into some problems entering my Wind account (pin) a couple of days later and found the customer service to borderline on rude. The Wind site could use some improvements, same with the Rogers. However everything has worked flawlessly for 3 months now.

I set my device not to accept Roaming, and turn it on in Mississauga 98% of the time. The other time I turn it on at home to connect to my system as an outside ip address to verify some settings.

Connection speed is fine for my use, much slower than my Rogers cable, but as I am using email and small file transfers. All is adequate.

Billing has been spot on, no extra charges whatsoever. Overall, this device is perfect for my use, and has not failed yet or dropped a signal. I do agree with another review where the battery needs charging each day, but it plugs into your laptop so this is not a problem for me.

Update: Nov 30 2012.

Very pleased with this provider, I have yet to have any issues with connection or billing. I have used this from my vehicle also, just check for Wind Home, very handy. Speed is not super, but I am not downloading anything other than business data.

Update Jun 29 2014.

No longer using Wind, paid for my device, kept on a smaller program which I was not using at all. I decided to take advantage of the pay as you go, it fit my usage. I left a deposit with Wind, but still didn't use the service for 5 months.

Finally when I went to use the connection, I was de-listed as a customer, no notice whatsoever. My deposit gone. Apparently their policy is to drop your account if you do not use it for 90 days. To re-instate, it requires a $25 per month fee plus a new sim card $30. Not happening, no longer pleased with this company.