WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by Cathylu See Profile

• Location: Canada
Bad "Bad customer service.....occasional bad reception in the USA"

I am very disappointed with Wind. I purchased one of the top packages....if not the top package for my son to use in South Carolina. We purchased the phone in Ontario so our home base is Ontario. He doesn't always get coverage which we have accepted without complaining. I am complaining about the extra charges we received when he returned to Ontario which is his home base and we were charged an extra 80 dollars because they said he shows away status? So when he returned home he showed away status? Besides the fact that the plan is unlimited texting and data and no roaming charges and 2300 minutes free calls. We did not go over any of the above. The agents proceeded to say it was our error that when my son leaves Canada he has to call Wind and when he comes back to Canada he has to call Wind again. We were never advised of this when we purchased the package so just giving everyone a heads up if you purchase this package. I regrettably referred four people to Wind which i wish i had never done. I will finish my contract and go with someone more reputable next.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by vintagewino See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "If you're in a Wind zone, it can be ok."
Bad "Noted coverage spotty, poor speeds."
Overall "Meh ..."

·TekSavvy DSL
On occasion, I require internet and a wi-fi may not be available. Having no love for the Red group, and disdain for the Blue, I thought I would try the people with the orange colour.

In March, 2014, I purchased the Huawei E586 Wi-Fi hotspot on a prepaid-as-you-go type plan. This was grandfathered a few months later, and is no longer available. Although not necessary at home (unless the DSL goes out), many of the areas I travel charge for Wi-Fi, so I went this route.

I have had a couple of issues with the system. First of all, I found the folks at the store most helpful. The folks on telephone based support were worse than abysmal.

Like many pre-paid arrangements with other companies, the one thing I don't like is they are not forgiving once you go over past the time, even though you may have over $20 still sitting there for use. Pass by the "retop before date", and whatever remaining credit is there is gone.

Although everything should be good for at least 3G, most of the time I see the "H" in the window. A couple of days ago, I ended up turning the unit off after 5 minutes trying to upload a 1 meg email. Damn, dial-up was faster!!

At home, 2700/1400 seems about right, but even that varies significantly - and yes, to what almost appears to be "dial-up"!

There are many areas where there is no coverage, even in larger centers, so I urge caution. Look at their coverage map to see if it's right for you.

Bottom line: so-so.

member for 11.6 years, 2480 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Mary Maryam

@wind.ca

Wind True Nightmare

Beware of WIND Mobile Company
I transferred my phone number to the WIND MOBILE at Centerpoint Mall, Yonge and Steeles on Feb 19 2015. I had my own IPhon in a excellent condition but sales person asked me to pay $349 upfront for the cell phone with the unlimited data and talk and text for $35 montly plans. Since day 1 network didn't work I couldn't be heard by any family and friends that I called in Canada and other countries on regular phone and Wifi. I went back to the Mall 3 times they said the said the network would be OK. Soon. I demanded my money back but they said as I had used the phone about 2 hours they would not return my money. I talked to the manager whose network absolutely is crab. And worst customer service I have ever seen .

DO NOT GO WITH WIND COMPANY AT ALL.
vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

Re: Wind True Nightmare

The store clerks I worked with were fairly good. The phone support was abysmal. Had 3 occasions, and they were most disappointing. Naturally, the call goes to the Philippines.

With the hotspot, the woman was an obvious script reader, and wanted to blame the computer. When I said there was no signal from their tower, you could almost hear as if the needle skipped back on the record "it is your computer". After 30 minutes of this, I hung up on her.

Called the store, they said get in here. they changed the SIM, and all was well.

The even better time was I complained about usage and the lady kept repeating that I had obviously used it. I finally said to her if she wants proof, give me her email address, and I will email a copy of my airline ticket, proving I wasn't even in the country when the alleged use took place. I finally got a credit out of her with much reluctance.

I had great hopes for these folks a few years ago, but it certainly doesn't look as rosy as it once did.

SUZYQJEWELS

@londonlife.com

DON't Sign Up No Reiembursement even if your phones not working with them

On Sat we went to your store at shops at donmills we inquired amount your deal for $ 40 a month unlimited and the sales person told us it was compatible with all phones. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 4 unlocked and my sons phone is an Iphone 5 unlocked. The sales person there stated that these phones would be abe to be on Wind. We purchased the topup $40 each and sim $25 each. They tried to install the Wind Sim on my son's and they said that it was locked. I went back to rogers and they do not have it locked and stated that we call apple store. We called apples store and they said the phone is unlocked since we purchased the phone at apples... than we went back to the store and they said that they needed to resett the phone... so we went home did a back up on the phone and started the resetting process and they phone still didn't work. The sales person told me that since I have a Samsung 4s GHI337M I would need to come in Sunday because there's a tech that had to do some programming on my phone. I arrived he was busy and asked me to come back in 30 min. I also explained that my son's phone didn't work and that I need them to look at it. He said it's locked... I did some research and checked some internet comments and they state since the two phones are high in frequency that they are not compatible with wind. I am requesting a reimbursement of the top up of 2 phones and 2 sim cards that could not be installed…

Very disappointed was excited to try something new and have a wonderful rate for unlimited. Now I have my phone not working and my sons life line not working he’s a teen. Out $149 dollars for the $40 monthly dollar top on each phone and $50 plus tax. Called Customer service again and had no luck for the reimbursement!
vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

Re: DON't Sign Up No Reiembursement even if your phones not working with them

The phone may be unlocked, but I think WIND has some unusual bands that are unique, and the phone may not receive/transmit on that band. I unlocked the Wind Huawei hotspot, and it will not work on Rogers. And the unlocked Sierra Aircard won't work on WIND.

WIND coverage is ok below the escarpment between Hamilton & the Falls, but once you crest the escarpment, you can pretty well forget it. Even in the Falls the hotsput had problems trying to keep a signal.

Caveat emptor.

I think once I use up my time, (I cannot believe I'm actually saying this) I will likely go to Robbers for a hotspot.

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Pay Your Way (Grandfathered), Price"
Bad "No Home Zone Coverage Outside Major Cities"
Overall "Not Bell, Rogers or Telus"

Used the Pay Your Way service mainly in Calgary in 2012 and 2013 and had no issues what so ever with signal or call quality anywhere in the city. Even underground I could get a signal.

I top it out for $40 every 6 months and for the price its really good. The unused rollover is a very nice feature. Mainly use VoIP on the phone via Wi-Fi at home and work, so when I actually need to use the cell phone network, its a great fall back.

In Ontario, the Home Zone coverage is mainly in the GTA but the signal quality doesn't seem to be as good as Calgary. The coverage geographically is significantly larger though. I've had issues with roaming on Rogers in Ontario as it can take a few *minutes* to authenticate with their towers and call quality has been poor.

Update August 2014
---------------------
Wind lowered their roaming fees $0.15/m phone and $0.05 for text messages. Don't see Bell, Rogers or Telus trying to lower prices. Bell just announced a $2 home phone and Internet increase for September 2014.

Update February 2014
---------------------
They now send a text message every time I use the Pay Your Way reminding that there is now a $2 price cap, in a Home Zone for the day. While its a good price for when you need unlimited for a day, its annoying to keep getting the text message.

I am also grandfathered for unlimited incoming calls in the Wind Home Zone but unfortunately for new customers, that option is no longer available.

Comments:

Review by macintop See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Price vs features. Real Unlimited"
Bad "Approval Process has major issues, minor coverage/network issues"
Overall "Unlimited at great prices but approval process has major issues"

Switched to WIND for the Back-to-School $35/month deal. I had to take the "pay-before" option as the "pay-after" option I was not able to get a approved for (unknown reason, but the sales rep warned me beforehand that a lot of customers do not get approved for "pay-after", even with excellent credit). I kept my current phone and got at $7.50/month for 20 months ($150) credit but was charged $25 for the SIM Card.

The plan was a lot cheaper than my current Service Provider. However with the "Pay-Before" Option Voicemail+ and World Saver add-ons were not included (included with "Pay-After" option), voicemail is $8/month extra.

Service coverage is great, only a couple of spots where service is spotty. Speed is decent at 5-6mbps down, 1 up. Phone call quality is good.

Comments:

dickie123

@99.235.184.x

shoulda went deposit

I had a similar experience, but they offered me the deposit option where I put a $100 deposit that will be refunded after 6 months. Then they said I was approved for the pay after 35.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, good service in their service area's. "
Bad "They lack service area's. "
Overall "Good service if you live in service area and spend most time there. "

·Rogers Hi-Speed
Wind offers unlimited calling (depending on plan) and text as well as unlimited data. Fair use policy on data, but it slows you down after 5GB, and even more so after 10GB, to a point where the internet isn't really useful. However, Good luck find a service like this with the big three in Canada.

Happy, so I stick around.

UPDATE: WIND has been able to change their roaming (data/voice/text) charging dues to changes by regulators. So 5 cents per MB of data makes it a better option for those wanting the service, but travel outside the tiny service area that WIND offers.

Also changed my plan so that it's unlimited CANADA-WIDE calling and unlimited World-Wide texting. Price is $35+tax (no other fee's)

member for 1.5 years, 624 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "It does just what is advertised"
Bad "Spotty coverage - spotty customer service"
Overall "Does what is required at way lower cost than big 3"

·TekSavvy Cable
Was on Rogers but got fed up with poor coverage when contract expired.
Was on Bell but got fed up with "new charges" as they decided to expire what turned out to be "promotions" and coverage locally got worse.

Went to Wind. Half the price for similar coverage. I don't go into Wind Away areas too often, but the roaming costs on Wind are only about 5c per min more than the LD charges I used to pay on Bell when roaming in Bell territory ... so, the difference of $30 could cover a LOT of roaming. My phones can be used in Europe by changing SIM.

Originally had a Nokia phone that decided to hang up on UMTS calls ... but worked fine on GSM calls! Changed to a Blackberry and it's great. It's getting paid off slowly.

Call quality is fine.

6 March 2014 ... Update

Coverage slowly improves. The blackberry works better in lower signal areas than the Nokia did. Managed to lose my sim while travelling abroad (used a Lebara sim in europe) and Wind store replaced it n/c and within 5 minutes (powering up a blackberry is like pouring mollasses ... S L O W)

I'm still happy I'm with Wind.

25 Sept 2014 ... Update

Still works just fine. The blackberry is its own pain in the butt ... but I can't blame Wind for that. The reduction in roaming costs is great.

member for 13.2 years, 6534 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Savvy

@rogers.com

Wind Network

Wind plan is great! Reception from 3 wind phones that we have as a family is not the greatest. Often, when picking up coming calls there is no connection the first time. Not sure if Wind knows about poor quality reception.

Hadi

@99.225.241.x

Horrible service provider

My monthly usage has become less than 10 minutes. No coverage at my work place (Yonge and North york), no coverage at my home (Yonge and Steels). I can only use my phone while driving, of course only in some specific areas.
Have contacted the customer service many times. They did nothing.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Horrible service provider

I wouldn't call them horrible based on the fact that they don't have good coverage where you need them and they don't do anyting about it. Even the big guys have holes ... I live in one! That they do nothing about that is just because they can't pop a tower or two or change radiation patterns at the drop of a hat.

It simply comes down to the fact that they are not good for your needs ... and there's nothing really wrong with that ... it doesn't make them horrible.

Review by janmar221 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Excellent Price & Service from AT&T and T Mobile while US roaming"
Bad "Terrible limits on Canadian Coverage, In Country Roaming Cost & Billing Problems"
Overall "A Good Cell for International Roaming Only"

I got Wind service in April as I travel to the US weekly and Bell Mobility's roaming charges (even with a so called package) were going to bankrupt me.

The Wind $60 a month unlimited Canada/US plan was attractive to me and remains so in terms of the excellent service I get in the US from AT&T and T Mobile (Wind's US providers).

The Canadian experience is a completely different story. Wind has limited coverage which is so unreliable and expensive (roaming charges anywhere outside major cities) that I now have a Bell phone for voice usage while in Canada.

Wind also has some systemic issues with it's billing software when it bills me for "away' text charges (in Canada but outside a Wind zone ie 'roaming') when I am clearly in the US based on phone use records. Last month they even invoiced me for 360 'away' text messages I never made. I have since blocked the SMS feature on my phone (although they still charge me for it) in order to avoid the monthly hassle over inappropriate charges.

Comments:

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Competitive Prices, Decent coverage, Good features"
Bad "Occasional Spotty Coverage, Sufficient speeds"
Overall "Good value for money, no problems"

·Start Communicat..
I have been with WIND for about 1.5 years now. I had a promotional credit of $10 off for the first 3 months since I found a coupon online through an e-magazine subscription. Wind is constantly advertising new plans with attractive features usually for around $30-$40. I'm with the basic $30 province-wide calling, unlimited everything package. Of course the 5 GB data limits means you can't really do anything useful with your phone in terms of tethering but its decent enough for an occasional day or two when your home internet is offline or when you're outside of your house with no WiFi coverage, or in need of a GPS app / mail check-up. I have had no issues as to of date.

If you want to switch phones, and the sim card size is not the same, they make you deactivate your old one and cough up $10 each time. There's no way to re-activate a deactivated sim card, unfortunately. As far as customer support goes, they are good if you visit to one of their terminals or booths inside malls or official stores (with a huge wind size banner or logo on the front of the store), and not a third-party vendor with an affiliation for wind (usually those little computer tech shops). I have never bothered with e-mailing or phoning in, but I have heard rumors of it not being as top-notch.

Coverage is weaker in basements, and if you are deep enough inside some insulated buildings, you might not get coverage at all. However, in terms of residential buildings, wind coverage is not really a problem. If you're on the highway, chances are you'll see wind go from 1 to 5 bars, swaying back and forth depending on where you are located, and your relative proximity to a phone tower. Usually its a good 3-5 bars if you live in southern Ontario or one of the more densely-populated areas/cities/towns. Rarely, but sometimes, you might encounter a "wind away" zone in the outskirts of the city or in some dead spots-- but it's not likely you will stay in such an area for an extensive period of time without phone service.

Typical download speeds are 4 - 8 Mbps, and up to 12 Mbps on exceptionally good days. Upload speeds are usually hovering around 100KBs at maximum.

Comments:

Review by MysticGuitar See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Inexpensive, no contracts, reliable network, unlimited everything"
Bad "Poor customer support, limited coverage area"
Overall "Wind is a very inexpensive cell phone network with a small coverage area."

·Cogeco Cable
The Wind $40 Monthly plan is by far one of the best deals available, but it isn't without its own faults. While the plan claims to offer Unlimited data, there is actually a soft limit of 5GB in place. After the 5GB limit is reached, your data usage is slowed down to a significantly slower rate, making any kind of intensive internet applications nonfunctional for the remainder of the month.

Additionally, Wind advertises as offering a service that does not enforce any type of contracts. While this claim is technically accurate if you were to bring your own phone for use on the Wind network. If you decided to instead take advantage of the WindTab service, you are essentially agreeing to a contract period of two years, or until the value of your phone is paid off in full. It's a slightly different contract concept, but is still a contract nonetheless, and early cancellation fees are enforced. (for the remaining value of your phone)

Data transfer speed is slower than I would have liked. I'm personally averaging 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, though this varies greatly depending on time of day and my current location. It's worth noting that all of my speed tests were done inside of a solid concrete building, which verges at the very edge of the Wind coverage map. The maximum speed I have seen was 9 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. This speed also seems to be more or less the average during late night tests.

As for signal quality, I've had absolutely no problems with loss of signal or dropped calls, even inside of my apartment building. However, loss of signal is said to be a common problem among other Wind customers, especially in shopping malls and other large enclosed venues.

Sadly, the quality of Wind's technical support services are low. It took me well over an hour to get a minor billing error resolved, and during this call, I was transferred over to three separate agents before my problem was resolved. There was also a minor problem at the local Wind store, where one of the in-store agents was unable to properly configure my account to automatically charge my credit card, forcing me to sign into their online account area to configure my billing preferences. While this wasn't a major inconvenience, and was resolved rather quickly using Wind's online area, it was something that could have been avoided.

All in all, Wind Mobile is the very best cell phone network that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are reliable, inexpensive and generally a pleasure to be with.

Comments:
Valendite

Not really a contract

Umm not paying for the remainder of your phone's balance unless you cancel is not a contract. It's like saying you get a rebate for the entire phone's balance if you stay with us for two years. Assume the following scenarios.

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $720 + 13% tax + $200 = $920 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You windtabbed it for 24 months.
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $520 + 13% tax
You saved money. Effectively $200 = not paid at all

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + $200 = $560 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You windtabbed it for 12 months.
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + ($200 - ($3 x 12) = $164) = $514 + tax
You saved money. Effectively $36 off. Slightly lower than deprecation value, phone probably worth $120 now, but better than the above scenario you see.

Think about it. You are either pay NOW or LATER for your phone. And the case is NEVER if you stick with them for two years... that's like making wind pay 25% of the cost of their phones or so (volume price for $200 phone is probably like $50)..

Factor in inflation and your dollars are worth less later, making it actually cheaper to put it on windtab even if you decide to NOT stick with them for two years. Jeez. You NEED a phone anyways to USE ANY carrier.
MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

Re: Not really a contract

said by Valendite:

In my review, I mentioned that Wind does not technically enforce any contracts, but that the WindTab is essentially the same general concept. You're still forced to stay for a two year term, or else you'll have to pay for the remaining value of your phone. Sure, it isn't a traditional contact, but the general idea is still there. Stay two years, or pay to cancel early.

To me, a contract is a type of legal agreement between myself and the company that requires for me to commit to a given number of years of service, or else I pay early cancellation fees for voiding my end of the contract.
WindTab is really just a clever way to mask a two-year contract. You can still cancel at any time, but you'll have to pay whatever balance you owe on your account.
If you stay for the full two years, the contract that you had with Wind is no longer active, as your 'tab' is paid off in full. After that, you can cancel at any time with no additional charges.

Sure, the way Wind operates is likely a major advantage for most consumers. However, to state that they do not enforce any contracts, and then require that you pay what's left of your tab before you can legally cancel. That itself is a type of contractual agreement between you and the company. Even if it isn't worded or marketed as such, it is still considered a contract by law, and is one that Wind can legally enforce if ever they see fit.

Re: Not really a contract

I don't know, you are not really paying them per se. If the nominal cost of a phone is $200 and they get charged $200 (probably not, but maybe apple does with their iPhones with other carriers), they are not really making any money from you cancelling--effectively you are paying the phone by letting their profit margins make up for the cost of the phone and the service with the surplus being whats left over of the amortized payments.

Lets assume that no carriers offer any phone discounts, and you have to pay the full value of the phone upfront. Whether you cancel or not, now you're always worse off than a discount % or rebate % per month for staying with them, right? In my mind, no phones are free. If no phones are free, and you did not have a service with them but instead were to finance it with monthly payments, wouldn't that be more of a contract? In my mind I just find the word contract would be more suited to something like... a cancellation fee that not does not involve paying for the ownership of an item, like the $100/$200+ costs that carriers/tv companies charged back then for ending a 2-year or 3-year contract early, plus the phone.

I get what you mean, but if you had to pay the phone anyways, in the case of no carriers rebating or discounting your phone for having to stay with them as a loyal customer, it just doesn't feel like the word contract is appropriate for it. It's like having amazon prime for $79 yearly and if you stay with them for 2 full years, they give your highest purchase up to $300 for free (a TV...) once. The service is just "extra" on top of what you would have to pay for anyways "tv". Eh oh well.

·Start Communicat..
For example, I go to Apple and get an iPhone 5S for $799.

I make monthly payments towards Apple. I go to wind and they have a deal where if I stick with wind, wind pays $20 per month and the entirety of it after two years. If I cancel wind, they will not pay Apple anymore. That's how I see it anyways. But again I get your point, it is enforceable by wind.

asif_bana

@199.7.157.x

customer service

Cheap always cheap
I bought $45 plan with Samsung s3, and i also bought cover and screen guard for $25 extra.
the sales representative on 1thorncliffe park drive gave me the wrong screen guard of s4.
Now after 3 weeks when I was going to change i found its wrong screen guard..I gone to the location were I bought it..now there are different salesperson, instead of talking manager he wants me to talk on 611 for only screen guard which I want to exchange for s3.
This guys when they want to sell their products they are so nice after when you go for some reason they behave like we are fucking cheap...
I am sooo upset

Review by DragonSpyre See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Exactly what they advertise what more can you ask for"
Bad "I have encountered nothing"
Overall "If you want to save money this will do just that"

I am currently on a Wind promotional 39 plan. This service includes the following.

Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada wide Picture /Video Messaging
Unlimited US wide Picture / Video Messaging
Unlimited Canada wide Texting
Unlimited Canada wide Calling
Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
Use your features anywhere on our network
Fair Usage Policy Applies

This plan was tested to work in the USA and was excellent on T-Mobile, at no extra charge I may add. I brought my own Nexus 4 and was off and surfing, calling and messaging the same day. The support staff who sold me the plan gave me nothing but solid service and really knew his product. I am now using a Nexus 5 with the service and have encountered no problems what so ever. I live in a rater urban area so I have no issues with coverage and I find that during any time of the day I have fast reliable internet and phone service. Was paying Rogers over $105 dollars per month for next to no data and nothing else. Switched to Koodo for a while and was paying them $66 for 6GB of data and comparable features. Saw Wind offer unlimited everything for $44 dollars with tax and I was sold. I may not have Voicemail with this plan but I don't miss it. I really hope that Wind will be around for the long haul and give the Canadian telecom industry the kick in the ass that it desperately needs to come back down to reality.

member for 5.8 years, 2404 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Ber

@184.151.231.x

Huawei mate 2

my wife signed up with Wind a couple days ago and got this big phone. Network is good so far but what impresses me is the phone-not its size but the control you have on the installed apps. I can limit apps their access to internet thru wifi or mobile network and other features like sweep all open apps at once and system tune up and the suspend but tom. I wonder why no reviewer on Youtube mention these wonderful features?? This phone run as fast as my Nexus 5 with a decent display and camera but it costs half the price of those high end Samsung or HTC phones which are obesed with many unwanted apps and that's why I bought my N5. Now for sure I will replace my N5 when Wind has a 5 inch version mate2.