WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by macintop See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Price vs features. Real Unlimited"
Bad "Approval Process has major issues, minor coverage/network issues"
Overall "Unlimited at great prices but approval process has major issues"

Switched to WIND for the Back-to-School $35/month deal. I had to take the "pay-before" option as the "pay-after" option I was not able to get a approved for (unknown reason, but the sales rep warned me beforehand that a lot of customers do not get approved for "pay-after", even with excellent credit). I kept my current phone and got at $7.50/month for 20 months ($150) credit but was charged $25 for the SIM Card.

The plan was a lot cheaper than my current Service Provider. However with the "Pay-Before" Option Voicemail+ and World Saver add-ons were not included (included with "Pay-After" option), voicemail is $8/month extra.

Service coverage is great, only a couple of spots where service is spotty. Speed is decent at 5-6mbps down, 1 up. Phone call quality is good.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

dickie123

@99.235.184.x

shoulda went deposit

I had a similar experience, but they offered me the deposit option where I put a $100 deposit that will be refunded after 6 months. Then they said I was approved for the pay after 35.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, good service in their service area's. "
Bad "They lack service area's. "
Overall "Good service if you live in service area and spend most time there. "

·Rogers Hi-Speed
Wind offers unlimited calling (depending on plan) and text as well as unlimited data. Fair use policy on data, but it slows you down after 5GB, and even more so after 10GB, to a point where the internet isn't really useful. However, Good luck find a service like this with the big three in Canada.

Happy, so I stick around.

UPDATE: WIND has been able to change their roaming (data/voice/text) charging dues to changes by regulators. So 5 cents per MB of data makes it a better option for those wanting the service, but travel outside the tiny service area that WIND offers.

Also changed my plan so that it's unlimited CANADA-WIDE calling and unlimited World-Wide texting. Price is $35+tax (no other fee's)

member for 1.1 years, 479 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "It does just what is advertised"
Bad "Spotty coverage - spotty customer service"
Overall "Does what is required at way lower cost than big 3"

·TekSavvy Cable
Was on Rogers but got fed up with poor coverage when contract expired.
Was on Bell but got fed up with "new charges" as they decided to expire what turned out to be "promotions" and coverage locally got worse.

Went to Wind. Half the price for similar coverage. I don't go into Wind Away areas too often, but the roaming costs on Wind are only about 5c per min more than the LD charges I used to pay on Bell when roaming in Bell territory ... so, the difference of $30 could cover a LOT of roaming. My phones can be used in Europe by changing SIM.

Originally had a Nokia phone that decided to hang up on UMTS calls ... but worked fine on GSM calls! Changed to a Blackberry and it's great. It's getting paid off slowly.

Call quality is fine.

6 March 2014 ... Update

Coverage slowly improves. The blackberry works better in lower signal areas than the Nokia did. Managed to lose my sim while travelling abroad (used a Lebara sim in europe) and Wind store replaced it n/c and within 5 minutes (powering up a blackberry is like pouring mollasses ... S L O W)

I'm still happy I'm with Wind.

25 Sept 2014 ... Update

Still works just fine. The blackberry is its own pain in the butt ... but I can't blame Wind for that. The reduction in roaming costs is great.

member for 12.8 years, 6382 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Savvy

@rogers.com

Wind Network

Wind plan is great! Reception from 3 wind phones that we have as a family is not the greatest. Often, when picking up coming calls there is no connection the first time. Not sure if Wind knows about poor quality reception.

Hadi

@99.225.241.x

Horrible service provider

My monthly usage has become less than 10 minutes. No coverage at my work place (Yonge and North york), no coverage at my home (Yonge and Steels). I can only use my phone while driving, of course only in some specific areas.
Have contacted the customer service many times. They did nothing.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

Re: Horrible service provider

I wouldn't call them horrible based on the fact that they don't have good coverage where you need them and they don't do anyting about it. Even the big guys have holes ... I live in one! That they do nothing about that is just because they can't pop a tower or two or change radiation patterns at the drop of a hat.

It simply comes down to the fact that they are not good for your needs ... and there's nothing really wrong with that ... it doesn't make them horrible.

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Competitive Prices, Decent coverage, Good features"
Bad "Occasional Spotty Coverage, Sufficient speeds"
Overall "Good value for money, no problems"

·Start Communicat..
I have been with WIND for about 1.5 years now. I had a promotional credit of $10 off for the first 3 months since I found a coupon online through an e-magazine subscription. Wind is constantly advertising new plans with attractive features usually for around $30-$40. I'm with the basic $30 province-wide calling, unlimited everything package. Of course the 5 GB data limits means you can't really do anything useful with your phone in terms of tethering but its decent enough for an occasional day or two when your home internet is offline or when you're outside of your house with no WiFi coverage, or in need of a GPS app / mail check-up. I have had no issues as to of date.

If you want to switch phones, and the sim card size is not the same, they make you deactivate your old one and cough up $10 each time. There's no way to re-activate a deactivated sim card, unfortunately. As far as customer support goes, they are good if you visit to one of their terminals or booths inside malls or official stores (with a huge wind size banner or logo on the front of the store), and not a third-party vendor with an affiliation for wind (usually those little computer tech shops). I have never bothered with e-mailing or phoning in, but I have heard rumors of it not being as top-notch.

Coverage is weaker in basements, and if you are deep enough inside some insulated buildings, you might not get coverage at all. However, in terms of residential buildings, wind coverage is not really a problem. If you're on the highway, chances are you'll see wind go from 1 to 5 bars, swaying back and forth depending on where you are located, and your relative proximity to a phone tower. Usually its a good 3-5 bars if you live in southern Ontario or one of the more densely-populated areas/cities/towns. Rarely, but sometimes, you might encounter a "wind away" zone in the outskirts of the city or in some dead spots-- but it's not likely you will stay in such an area for an extensive period of time without phone service.

Typical download speeds are 4 - 8 Mbps, and up to 12 Mbps on exceptionally good days. Upload speeds are usually hovering around 100KBs at maximum.

Comments:

Review by MysticGuitar See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Inexpensive, no contracts, reliable network, unlimited everything"
Bad "Poor customer support, limited coverage area"
Overall "Wind is a very inexpensive cell phone network with a small coverage area."

·Cogeco Cable
The Wind $40 Monthly plan is by far one of the best deals available, but it isn't without its own faults. While the plan claims to offer Unlimited data, there is actually a soft limit of 5GB in place. After the 5GB limit is reached, your data usage is slowed down to a significantly slower rate, making any kind of intensive internet applications nonfunctional for the remainder of the month.

Additionally, Wind advertises as offering a service that does not enforce any type of contracts. While this claim is technically accurate if you were to bring your own phone for use on the Wind network. If you decided to instead take advantage of the WindTab service, you are essentially agreeing to a contract period of two years, or until the value of your phone is paid off in full. It's a slightly different contract concept, but is still a contract nonetheless, and early cancellation fees are enforced. (for the remaining value of your phone)

Data transfer speed is slower than I would have liked. I'm personally averaging 6 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, though this varies greatly depending on time of day and my current location. It's worth noting that all of my speed tests were done inside of a solid concrete building, which verges at the very edge of the Wind coverage map. The maximum speed I have seen was 9 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. This speed also seems to be more or less the average during late night tests.

As for signal quality, I've had absolutely no problems with loss of signal or dropped calls, even inside of my apartment building. However, loss of signal is said to be a common problem among other Wind customers, especially in shopping malls and other large enclosed venues.

Sadly, the quality of Wind's technical support services are low. It took me well over an hour to get a minor billing error resolved, and during this call, I was transferred over to three separate agents before my problem was resolved. There was also a minor problem at the local Wind store, where one of the in-store agents was unable to properly configure my account to automatically charge my credit card, forcing me to sign into their online account area to configure my billing preferences. While this wasn't a major inconvenience, and was resolved rather quickly using Wind's online area, it was something that could have been avoided.

All in all, Wind Mobile is the very best cell phone network that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are reliable, inexpensive and generally a pleasure to be with.

member for 2.5 years, 470 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Valendite

Not really a contract

Umm not paying for the remainder of your phone's balance unless you cancel is not a contract. It's like saying you get a rebate for the entire phone's balance if you stay with us for two years. Assume the following scenarios.

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $720 + 13% tax + $200 = $920 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax
You windtabbed it for 24 months.
You use wind for 2 years. Total = $520 + 13% tax
You saved money. Effectively $200 = not paid at all

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You bought an unlocked phone for $200.00
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + $200 = $560 + tax

Wind $30 monthly plan + 13% tax.
You windtabbed it for 12 months.
You use wind for 1 year. Total = $360 + tax + ($200 - ($3 x 12) = $164) = $514 + tax
You saved money. Effectively $36 off. Slightly lower than deprecation value, phone probably worth $120 now, but better than the above scenario you see.

Think about it. You are either pay NOW or LATER for your phone. And the case is NEVER if you stick with them for two years... that's like making wind pay 25% of the cost of their phones or so (volume price for $200 phone is probably like $50)..

Factor in inflation and your dollars are worth less later, making it actually cheaper to put it on windtab even if you decide to NOT stick with them for two years. Jeez. You NEED a phone anyways to USE ANY carrier.
MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

Re: Not really a contract

said by Valendite:

In my review, I mentioned that Wind does not technically enforce any contracts, but that the WindTab is essentially the same general concept. You're still forced to stay for a two year term, or else you'll have to pay for the remaining value of your phone. Sure, it isn't a traditional contact, but the general idea is still there. Stay two years, or pay to cancel early.

To me, a contract is a type of legal agreement between myself and the company that requires for me to commit to a given number of years of service, or else I pay early cancellation fees for voiding my end of the contract.
WindTab is really just a clever way to mask a two-year contract. You can still cancel at any time, but you'll have to pay whatever balance you owe on your account.
If you stay for the full two years, the contract that you had with Wind is no longer active, as your 'tab' is paid off in full. After that, you can cancel at any time with no additional charges.

Sure, the way Wind operates is likely a major advantage for most consumers. However, to state that they do not enforce any contracts, and then require that you pay what's left of your tab before you can legally cancel. That itself is a type of contractual agreement between you and the company. Even if it isn't worded or marketed as such, it is still considered a contract by law, and is one that Wind can legally enforce if ever they see fit.

Re: Not really a contract

I don't know, you are not really paying them per se. If the nominal cost of a phone is $200 and they get charged $200 (probably not, but maybe apple does with their iPhones with other carriers), they are not really making any money from you cancelling--effectively you are paying the phone by letting their profit margins make up for the cost of the phone and the service with the surplus being whats left over of the amortized payments.

Lets assume that no carriers offer any phone discounts, and you have to pay the full value of the phone upfront. Whether you cancel or not, now you're always worse off than a discount % or rebate % per month for staying with them, right? In my mind, no phones are free. If no phones are free, and you did not have a service with them but instead were to finance it with monthly payments, wouldn't that be more of a contract? In my mind I just find the word contract would be more suited to something like... a cancellation fee that not does not involve paying for the ownership of an item, like the $100/$200+ costs that carriers/tv companies charged back then for ending a 2-year or 3-year contract early, plus the phone.

I get what you mean, but if you had to pay the phone anyways, in the case of no carriers rebating or discounting your phone for having to stay with them as a loyal customer, it just doesn't feel like the word contract is appropriate for it. It's like having amazon prime for $79 yearly and if you stay with them for 2 full years, they give your highest purchase up to $300 for free (a TV...) once. The service is just "extra" on top of what you would have to pay for anyways "tv". Eh oh well.

·Start Communicat..
For example, I go to Apple and get an iPhone 5S for $799.

I make monthly payments towards Apple. I go to wind and they have a deal where if I stick with wind, wind pays $20 per month and the entirety of it after two years. If I cancel wind, they will not pay Apple anymore. That's how I see it anyways. But again I get your point, it is enforceable by wind.

asif_bana

@199.7.157.x

customer service

Cheap always cheap
I bought $45 plan with Samsung s3, and i also bought cover and screen guard for $25 extra.
the sales representative on 1thorncliffe park drive gave me the wrong screen guard of s4.
Now after 3 weeks when I was going to change i found its wrong screen guard..I gone to the location were I bought it..now there are different salesperson, instead of talking manager he wants me to talk on 611 for only screen guard which I want to exchange for s3.
This guys when they want to sell their products they are so nice after when you go for some reason they behave like we are fucking cheap...
I am sooo upset

Review by DragonSpyre See Profile

• Location: Aurora,ON
Good "Exactly what they advertise what more can you ask for"
Bad "I have encountered nothing"
Overall "If you want to save money this will do just that"

I am currently on a Wind promotional 39 plan. This service includes the following.

Unlimited Data
Unlimited Canada wide Picture /Video Messaging
Unlimited US wide Picture / Video Messaging
Unlimited Canada wide Texting
Unlimited Canada wide Calling
Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
Use your features anywhere on our network
Fair Usage Policy Applies

This plan was tested to work in the USA and was excellent on T-Mobile, at no extra charge I may add. I brought my own Nexus 4 and was off and surfing, calling and messaging the same day. The support staff who sold me the plan gave me nothing but solid service and really knew his product. I am now using a Nexus 5 with the service and have encountered no problems what so ever. I live in a rater urban area so I have no issues with coverage and I find that during any time of the day I have fast reliable internet and phone service. Was paying Rogers over $105 dollars per month for next to no data and nothing else. Switched to Koodo for a while and was paying them $66 for 6GB of data and comparable features. Saw Wind offer unlimited everything for $44 dollars with tax and I was sold. I may not have Voicemail with this plan but I don't miss it. I really hope that Wind will be around for the long haul and give the Canadian telecom industry the kick in the ass that it desperately needs to come back down to reality.

Comments:

Ber

@184.151.231.x

Huawei mate 2

my wife signed up with Wind a couple days ago and got this big phone. Network is good so far but what impresses me is the phone-not its size but the control you have on the installed apps. I can limit apps their access to internet thru wifi or mobile network and other features like sweep all open apps at once and system tune up and the suspend but tom. I wonder why no reviewer on Youtube mention these wonderful features?? This phone run as fast as my Nexus 5 with a decent display and camera but it costs half the price of those high end Samsung or HTC phones which are obesed with many unwanted apps and that's why I bought my N5. Now for sure I will replace my N5 when Wind has a 5 inch version mate2.

Review by nzakanzaka See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great price for unlimited text, voice and data"
Bad "Coverage in some areas"
Overall "Tell me who has a better price for the same service, and I'll switch. None yet."

I was one of those who signed up early with Wind. Service was terrible in those days, but I'm glad I sat through their troubled days. I got the Super Smart plan for all members of my family, and Wind has always extended it since 2010. I have unlimited data to go with unlimited global texting and 24-hour unlimited voice, voicemail, etc. One of my daughters thought she knew better and went over to one of the big three. She doesn't have half of my package, but she ends up paying up to $85 in some months for sub-par service. I have frequently used my BlackBerry as a modem on the Wind network, and I can't complain about the speed.

The voice quality has seen a fantastic improvement, and the customer service has also improved. For $29 plus tax I'm not complaining.

Comments:

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Unlimited Calling/Global Texting/Data for $44.07/month taxes in."
Bad "WIND Zone expansion slow."
Overall "If you live in a WIND Zone and don't leave the zone often, you should be saving yourself $40+/month on WIND."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I have two lines on WIND. I pay $88.14/month for both lines, taxes included. I was paying $81/month for one line with Rogers. If you live in a city WIND covers and don't leave often, I can't see why you wouldn't want to save yourself 50% compared to the Big/Little 3.

They recently started closing some holes within WIND Zones, but have slowed expansion into other areas. Realistically, I think they should work on enveloping the QEW with service. They also skipped out on the 700MHz spectrum auction. This would have allowed them to deploy LTE so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Some people are adamant that WIND is failing/will fail and will close up shop. Even if that were true, I'll still have saved over 50% for the last few years.

member for 12.4 years, 3199 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Elizabeth w

@199.119.233.x

warnining!!The worrest phone company in history! !!!

I went in the store trying to get my data service finally up and running on one of my phone lines I have with them. Even tho I had the plan with data included on all my lines, this one never worked but I was still being billed the full amount for over a year now. While I was there I asked about including the world wide plan and how much it would save/cost me. The girl at the store opened my account and told me that my plan I had for 4 years already includes worldwide plan and that I was simply unaware of it and should've known better. She pulled out a brochure and told me it would cost me 25 cents per minute to call a country I requested. By the end of the month I received a text from wind specifying my bill is now $546.00 dollars!!! Yap. I called them only to be met with nasty attitude and complete
unprofessionalism. I was told that according to the plan I have, international call costs me 1.75 dollars not 25 cents. They also said it is my responsibility to recognize when told wrong information at the store and that the company will not take any kind of responsibility for any wrong information provided by their staff at any store location. After being transferred from one supervisor to another, the hour long phone call ended with an offer of 8 dollars off if I decided to purchase world wide plan in the future. Eight!! dollars off of my next purchase? ??. What made the whole thing worse is the fact that I have been with this company for years and tolerated soo much including their horrible network connection, being over billed often, being billed for servies i never used or asked to be added, absolutely despicable customer service and so on just to keep my number the same. Not any more, after thousands of dollars drained I'm finally quitting. By the way, don't fall for the "no plan" marketing...it's a scam. They tell you you get your phone on a tab which basically means if you cancel their service, you'd have to pay full amount for the phone. Stay away..

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Actually offers value for money unlike the Big 3"
Bad "Nothing really. Coverage is a trade off but it's not bad where I live"
Overall "Far more enjoyable than the $67 I was spending on Bell"

Update March 2014:

Still enjoying WIND. Prices are great and the service and coverage only seems to improve. Was in the US a few weeks ago and my wife (also on WIND) added $15/month package to her phone for calls/texts/data while there. I believe it was linked up to T-Mobile in the States. Coverage seemed fine as did the speeds. Good value and nice to not have to worry about it costing a fortune.

Apart from a fairly rural area near my home I can drive from Guelph the whole way to Toronto or down to Niagara Falls and be in service pretty much the whole way.

Billing has been accurate and the online account portal is pretty easy to use.

---
Original Review:
Was about 1 year into a 3 year contract with Bell paying $67 a month for 200 local minutes, free calls to 10 favourite numbers and 6GB data. Service was fine as was coverage but the price was just too high.

Joining WIND on their $30 plan made sense. Bell charged $420 to buy out the last 2 years of contract but by saving over $30 a month it'll take barely a year to recover that.

Finding WIND great so far. Bought a Huawei Ascend W1 Windows Phone 8. Pretty basic device but the battery life is great - 3 full days easily on a charge.

My wife is also on WIND so we "bundled" and get an extra $5 off a month so my half of the deal actually costs just $27.50. Hard to beat.

I live in the middle of Guelph so get pretty good coverage at 3G or 4G depending on how it's feeling. Most of my travel is around the GTA/Hamilton so I'm rarely without service. Even if I do go into the "Roaming" zone I'm not a massive caller so it might cost a dollar or two for those calls I make. Definitely not making a dent in the big savings I make over Bell. I also get useful features like Caller Display which I didn't get on Bell despite paying a small fortune.

Speeds are not as fast as Bell but that was to be expected. They aren't terrible though. Tend to average out between 3-7Mbit/s download and about 0.5Mbit upload. Perfectly fine for most people.

"Unlimited" data is actually closer to 5GB and then it slows down but I don't think I've ever used that much either on WIND or Bell before that. Probably 2GB tops so it's fine.

Really for the price it's hard to have any complaints. Guys in the kiosk at the local mall are fairly knowledgeable and friendly and service has been reliable in the month since I switched. If you live in a well covered area and don't spend a lot of time travelling in more rural areas there is little reason to stay with the likes of Bell, Rogers or Telus. They are just too expensive in my view. Pretty much 100% across the board. Rated a little lower for "Connection" because coverage isn't as good and I've had one or two dropped calls but it's really rather minor.

Comments:

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "I got my cake and I can eat it too"
Bad "Urban coverage only. Expansion has slowed down this year as compared to last."
Overall "A good alternative Cell phone company."

Feb 24, 2014

----------------

Things are good still. I switched to a Nexus 5 purchased direct from Google. I needed the smaller SIM. The guy at the wind store said that I could take it to the corporate run store and get a smaller one for free or for $5 he could punch a smaller card out of the one in my phone. I choose the convenience option. The first time I roamed after that the phone acted funny (wouldn't complete calls and gave an error) but a reboot fixed that. Occasionally data seems slow to respond even though I have 3+ bars. In these situations a speed test shows almost nil upload speed but decent download speed. Not sure if I should blame Wind, my phone or geography and the laws of physics on that issue.

Aug 2, 2013

------------------

Penny charge issues are resolved. I can now turn off roaming data from within my online account so it is now blocked server side and not phone side. The speeds are still pretty good here in London but have slowed a bit with the gaining popularity in London. There have been significantly less network expansions this year. Likely due to Wind trying to figure out what their long term plan is. I am looking forward to strengthened coverage in London (ie sometimes I lose signal in malls and grocery stores) and hopefully they will expand to the smaller towns and the roads to them that surround London.

January 18, 2013

------------------------

My review is the same as below. However I would like to add I occasionally get penny charges for roaming data (even on days I don't leave the city). Unclear if it is a bug with my phone or not but when roaming the phone doesn't use the data. The Nexus S even fully updated can run a bit slow so I wonder if it sometimes is slow to turn off the data if switching to roaming.

June 2, 2012

-------------------

Things have been great with my Nexus S on the Christmas Miracle plan. I'm very happy with the company and the service. 3G speeds both up and down have tested as high as 5 mbps but are usually between 1-3 during peak times. I am looking forward to them expanding the coverage area. No surprise fees except they do charge 10 cents to send / reply to short codes, to get them is free. If they fix that they will be 5/5 stars for value.

member for 11.6 years, 1647 visits, last login: a few hours ago