WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by nzakanzaka See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great price for unlimited text, voice and data"
Bad "Coverage in some areas"
Overall "Tell me who has a better price for the same service, and I'll switch. None yet."

I was one of those who signed up early with Wind. Service was terrible in those days, but I'm glad I sat through their troubled days. I got the Super Smart plan for all members of my family, and Wind has always extended it since 2010. I have unlimited data to go with unlimited global texting and 24-hour unlimited voice, voicemail, etc. One of my daughters thought she knew better and went over to one of the big three. She doesn't have half of my package, but she ends up paying up to $85 in some months for sub-par service. I have frequently used my BlackBerry as a modem on the Wind network, and I can't complain about the speed.

The voice quality has seen a fantastic improvement, and the customer service has also improved. For $29 plus tax I'm not complaining.

member for 8.4 years, 23 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Unlimited Calling/Global Texting/Data for $44.07/month taxes in."
Bad "WIND Zone expansion slow."
Overall "If you live in a WIND Zone and don't leave the zone often, you should be saving yourself $40+/month on WIND."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I have two lines on WIND. I pay $88.14/month for both lines, taxes included. I was paying $81/month for one line with Rogers. If you live in a city WIND covers and don't leave often, I can't see why you wouldn't want to save yourself 50% compared to the Big/Little 3.

They recently started closing some holes within WIND Zones, but have slowed expansion into other areas. Realistically, I think they should work on enveloping the QEW with service. They also skipped out on the 700MHz spectrum auction. This would have allowed them to deploy LTE so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Some people are adamant that WIND is failing/will fail and will close up shop. Even if that were true, I'll still have saved over 50% for the last few years.

member for 12.2 years, 3144 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Elizabeth w

@199.119.233.x

warnining!!The worrest phone company in history! !!!

I went in the store trying to get my data service finally up and running on one of my phone lines I have with them. Even tho I had the plan with data included on all my lines, this one never worked but I was still being billed the full amount for over a year now. While I was there I asked about including the world wide plan and how much it would save/cost me. The girl at the store opened my account and told me that my plan I had for 4 years already includes worldwide plan and that I was simply unaware of it and should've known better. She pulled out a brochure and told me it would cost me 25 cents per minute to call a country I requested. By the end of the month I received a text from wind specifying my bill is now $546.00 dollars!!! Yap. I called them only to be met with nasty attitude and complete
unprofessionalism. I was told that according to the plan I have, international call costs me 1.75 dollars not 25 cents. They also said it is my responsibility to recognize when told wrong information at the store and that the company will not take any kind of responsibility for any wrong information provided by their staff at any store location. After being transferred from one supervisor to another, the hour long phone call ended with an offer of 8 dollars off if I decided to purchase world wide plan in the future. Eight!! dollars off of my next purchase? ??. What made the whole thing worse is the fact that I have been with this company for years and tolerated soo much including their horrible network connection, being over billed often, being billed for servies i never used or asked to be added, absolutely despicable customer service and so on just to keep my number the same. Not any more, after thousands of dollars drained I'm finally quitting. By the way, don't fall for the "no plan" marketing...it's a scam. They tell you you get your phone on a tab which basically means if you cancel their service, you'd have to pay full amount for the phone. Stay away..

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Actually offers value for money unlike the Big 3"
Bad "Nothing really. Coverage is a trade off but it's not bad where I live"
Overall "Far more enjoyable than the $67 I was spending on Bell"

Update March 2014:

Still enjoying WIND. Prices are great and the service and coverage only seems to improve. Was in the US a few weeks ago and my wife (also on WIND) added $15/month package to her phone for calls/texts/data while there. I believe it was linked up to T-Mobile in the States. Coverage seemed fine as did the speeds. Good value and nice to not have to worry about it costing a fortune.

Apart from a fairly rural area near my home I can drive from Guelph the whole way to Toronto or down to Niagara Falls and be in service pretty much the whole way.

Billing has been accurate and the online account portal is pretty easy to use.

---
Original Review:
Was about 1 year into a 3 year contract with Bell paying $67 a month for 200 local minutes, free calls to 10 favourite numbers and 6GB data. Service was fine as was coverage but the price was just too high.

Joining WIND on their $30 plan made sense. Bell charged $420 to buy out the last 2 years of contract but by saving over $30 a month it'll take barely a year to recover that.

Finding WIND great so far. Bought a Huawei Ascend W1 Windows Phone 8. Pretty basic device but the battery life is great - 3 full days easily on a charge.

My wife is also on WIND so we "bundled" and get an extra $5 off a month so my half of the deal actually costs just $27.50. Hard to beat.

I live in the middle of Guelph so get pretty good coverage at 3G or 4G depending on how it's feeling. Most of my travel is around the GTA/Hamilton so I'm rarely without service. Even if I do go into the "Roaming" zone I'm not a massive caller so it might cost a dollar or two for those calls I make. Definitely not making a dent in the big savings I make over Bell. I also get useful features like Caller Display which I didn't get on Bell despite paying a small fortune.

Speeds are not as fast as Bell but that was to be expected. They aren't terrible though. Tend to average out between 3-7Mbit/s download and about 0.5Mbit upload. Perfectly fine for most people.

"Unlimited" data is actually closer to 5GB and then it slows down but I don't think I've ever used that much either on WIND or Bell before that. Probably 2GB tops so it's fine.

Really for the price it's hard to have any complaints. Guys in the kiosk at the local mall are fairly knowledgeable and friendly and service has been reliable in the month since I switched. If you live in a well covered area and don't spend a lot of time travelling in more rural areas there is little reason to stay with the likes of Bell, Rogers or Telus. They are just too expensive in my view. Pretty much 100% across the board. Rated a little lower for "Connection" because coverage isn't as good and I've had one or two dropped calls but it's really rather minor.

Comments:

Review by Soiduts See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Pay Your Way (Grandfathered), Price"
Bad "No Home Zone Coverage Outside Major Cities"
Overall "Not Bell, Rogers or Telus"

Used the Pay Your Way service mainly in Calgary in 2012 and 2013 and had no issues what so ever with signal or call quality anywhere in the city. Even underground I could get a signal.

I top it out for $40 every 6 months and for the price its really good. The unused rollover is a very nice feature. Mainly use VoIP on the phone via Wi-Fi at home and work, so when I actually need to use the cell phone network, its a great fall back.

In Ontario, the Home Zone coverage is mainly in the GTA but the signal quality doesn't seem to be as good as Calgary. The coverage geographically is significantly larger though. I've had issues with roaming on Rogers in Ontario as it can take a few *minutes* to authenticate with their towers and call quality has been poor.

Update February 2014
---------------------
They now send a text message every time I use the Pay Your Way reminding that there is now a $2 price cap, in a Home Zone for the day. While its a good price for when you need unlimited for a day, its annoying to keep getting the text message.

I am also grandfathered for unlimited incoming calls in the Wind Home Zone but unfortunately for new customers, that option is no longer available.

member for 12.3 years, 149 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "It does just what is advertised"
Bad "Spotty coverage - spotty customer service"
Overall "Does what is required at way lower cost than big 3"

·TekSavvy Cable
Was on Rogers but got fed up with poor coverage when contract expired.
Was on Bell but got fed up with "new charges" as they decided to expire what turned out to be "promotions" and coverage locally got worse.

Went to Wind. Half the price for similar coverage. I don't go into Wind Away areas too often, but the roaming costs on Wind are only about 5c per min more than the LD charges I used to pay on Bell when roaming in Bell territory ... so, the difference of $30 could cover a LOT of roaming. My phones can be used in Europe by changing SIM.

Originally had a Nokia phone that decided to hang up on UMTS calls ... but worked fine on GSM calls! Changed to a Blackberry and it's great. It's getting paid off slowly.

Call quality is fine.

6 March 2014 ... Update

Coverage slowly improves. The blackberry works better in lower signal areas than the Nokia did. Managed to lose my sim while travelling abroad (used a Lebara sim in europe) and Wind store replaced it n/c and within 5 minutes (powering up a blackberry is like pouring mollasses ... S L O W)

I'm still happy I'm with Wind.

member for 12.6 years, 6314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Savvy

@rogers.com

Wind Network

Wind plan is great! Reception from 3 wind phones that we have as a family is not the greatest. Often, when picking up coming calls there is no connection the first time. Not sure if Wind knows about poor quality reception.

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "I got my cake and I can eat it too"
Bad "Urban coverage only. Expansion has slowed down this year as compared to last."
Overall "A good alternative Cell phone company."

Feb 24, 2014

----------------

Things are good still. I switched to a Nexus 5 purchased direct from Google. I needed the smaller SIM. The guy at the wind store said that I could take it to the corporate run store and get a smaller one for free or for $5 he could punch a smaller card out of the one in my phone. I choose the convenience option. The first time I roamed after that the phone acted funny (wouldn't complete calls and gave an error) but a reboot fixed that. Occasionally data seems slow to respond even though I have 3+ bars. In these situations a speed test shows almost nil upload speed but decent download speed. Not sure if I should blame Wind, my phone or geography and the laws of physics on that issue.

Aug 2, 2013

------------------

Penny charge issues are resolved. I can now turn off roaming data from within my online account so it is now blocked server side and not phone side. The speeds are still pretty good here in London but have slowed a bit with the gaining popularity in London. There have been significantly less network expansions this year. Likely due to Wind trying to figure out what their long term plan is. I am looking forward to strengthened coverage in London (ie sometimes I lose signal in malls and grocery stores) and hopefully they will expand to the smaller towns and the roads to them that surround London.

January 18, 2013

------------------------

My review is the same as below. However I would like to add I occasionally get penny charges for roaming data (even on days I don't leave the city). Unclear if it is a bug with my phone or not but when roaming the phone doesn't use the data. The Nexus S even fully updated can run a bit slow so I wonder if it sometimes is slow to turn off the data if switching to roaming.

June 2, 2012

-------------------

Things have been great with my Nexus S on the Christmas Miracle plan. I'm very happy with the company and the service. 3G speeds both up and down have tested as high as 5 mbps but are usually between 1-3 during peak times. I am looking forward to them expanding the coverage area. No surprise fees except they do charge 10 cents to send / reply to short codes, to get them is free. If they fix that they will be 5/5 stars for value.

member for 11.4 years, 1593 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by juan See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Price, coverage is improving, price when on international"
Bad "ABSOLUTE LACK OF COMMUNICATION"
Overall "They are designed to sell and operate but there is NOT communication with the customer"

·FreePhoneLine
I am a happy customer and have been one since 2012. don't get me wrong.

They have customer service on the phone but email... FORGET about it! they have NEVER answer one... there is an APP on the phone to communicate with them... COMPLETELY USELESS, doesn't work, after you write your emeail or SMS you get an error message.

BB 10.2.1 has been released early this week... there is NO information at all about when Wind will have it (for Z10 at least). The customer service person on the phone think you are an idiot and ask you to check on their website for the news about that release... they KNOW WELL there is NO information whatsoever on their website about any update, there is no forum and no communication section in their website... just PHONES, DEVICES and WHY WIND IS THE BEST section.

MESSAGE TO WIND: Try... at least try to make us believe our comments and concerns are valuable and be brave to open a "review" section, a "forum", an "Information" section... try to pretend that you are in communication with your customers... that is communication 101

Other than that I am a happy customer (must of the time) that might not go back to Rogers or Bell... might not.

Comments:

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, good service in their service area's. "
Bad "They lack service area's. "
Overall "Good service if you live in service area and spend most time there. "

·Rogers Hi-Speed
Wind offers unlimited calling (depending on plan) and text as well as unlimited data. Fair use policy on data, but it slows you down after 5GB, and even more so after 10GB, to a point where the internet isn't really useful. However, Good luck find a service like this with the big three in Canada.

Happy, so I stick around.

Comments:

Review by markf See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Excellent price and service!"
Bad "Coverage area limited for travellers"
Overall "If you're in a Wind Zone most of the time, can't beat the value!"

·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
I've been with Wind for a year and a half. Their service has always been great for me within the Wind Zone. It's a limited area, but I spend pretty much 51 weeks a year inside the Wind Zone, so the savings are well worth the lack of LTE and limited network coverage area. They are expanding their network to cover new areas though.

I rarely have an problems, but again, for just over $30 taxes in (I have two lines on my account, so each is $27.50) any perceived limitations must be understood based on the price. Not worth $20 more per month for any reason for me.

If you have an AWS unlocked phone, it's easy to try them as they have no contracts. SIM cards are expensive at $25, but for most people, I would think Wind's service/price combination will keep you as a customer.

member for 6.5 years, 1260 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

UNSATISIFIED

@shawcable.net

Never Go with Wind again

Awful customer service! Get charged roaming even in my own home... and my cell doesnt even work at home sometimes!

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Features, features and did I say features?"
Bad "Dropouts at some areas."
Overall "Good if you don't need a high priority line."

For somebody like myself I personally don't need the fancy signal that everybody has all the time. I feel I get what I pay for and I can't complain one bit. For the $30 bucks a month I get Unlimited Province Wide, Unlimited Text, and 5GB of DATA. Thats what I think phone plans in Canada cost without Robellus.

Data can be hit or miss with 400kbps upload, and abysmal service on data at some areas. Signal overall is bearable, and works for me.