SkyNet360 page on DSLReports

Review by lordfly See Profile

• Location: Homestead,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Update: Now residential 20/2 and business 25/3 with higher tiers"
Bad "Initial install cost of $100"
Overall "Best value for money, local provider so money stays in the community"

I switched to SkyNet360 over 12 months ago so my contract is over. I used to be on a 1.2/256 DSL from AT&T. I was pissed by the pings > 500ms and constant drops. I was paying $32/mo for crap.

Switched to local WISP after having it at work for a while. I love it. Always on, you just need to have a UPS on it so it will stay on during a power failure. Quick service and response via email.

02/19/12 - I used to be 10/1, but they did a change and now our upload sometimes goes above 2. Not really that useful except when syncing my Dropbox account.

09/14/12 - Still going strong at 10/3. Pings in the 10-20ms. Just got news that the company is going to start upgrading equipment by the end of the year so we can get 90meg downloads. Not sure if this involves a cost increase and how much.

09/02/13 - Almost a year later and still the same. We are still waiting on the upgrades but they are getting there. They now own their own address space so no sharing with Level 3 anymore. They are starting to put up more antennas and access points in the local area. This will make it better and faster for all.

07/07/14 - The provider has upgraded most of its access points to allow speeds up to 100 meg. I have already upgraded my work connections and I am seeing (16-20) down and 3-5 uploads. I am scheduled to get my residence done soon. Oh, they have put service on the Channel 6 tower which expands their area.

08/28/14 - All works sites upgraded and getting (20-25) down and about the same upload speed. They have the capability to go even higher. Home upgraded and getting (10-15) down with the same upload speed. Still working on trying to get better speeds at home but there is tweaking that needs to be done.

member for 14.1 years, 3702 visits, last login: 114 days ago

Comments:
flycuban

join:2005-04-25

Former long time customer

Had skynet360 for 4 years. Recently cancelled my account due to slow speeds during peak hours. Would go from 5-6 mbps to about less than 1. Moved over to comcast for $39.95 got 50 mbps down 10 mbps up. Would go back to skynet360 if they increase the speeds....

lordfly

join:2000-10-12
·SkyNet360

Re: Former long time customer

I am extremely close (just over a mile) from the Homestead tower so 90% of the time it is 10/3. I do clock it occasionally lower but usually during peak usage. Remember that Comcrap also shares bandwidth at the box so they burst to you for a short period to make it seem like you have higher speeds. Your bandwidth tests may be biased.
flycuban

join:2005-04-25

Re: Former long time customer

And thats exactly when I needed the bandwith the most, since I VPN to into my corp network. I live 1.25 miles, and was getting at most 1.5-2.0 mbps during peek times. Patrick did what they could, and sent out techs to re-position my radio, but still didn't do much.... I am not saying they are a bad company, as I have reffered 8 co-workers to their service, but they need to increase bandwith. If they can provide higher speeds, I would go back. In the meantime Comcast def. has a better solution.