ikTel Networks page on DSLReports

Review by WiFi See Profile

• Location: NiagaraFalls
Bad "Poor customer and tech support, no redundancy"
Overall "POOR value, inexpensive at the cost of frequent and extreme service outages"

·Start Communicat..
Absolutely the WORST! FAR too many issues to document here.

I have experienced 8 service outages since Jan/2014 and more than 6 in 2013, most of them at least 2 days and one was more than 4 days. Compensation? HAHAHA! You must be kidding?

After waiting 6 weeks for them to ship a replacement adapter (their request, not miine), I drive to Niagara Falls on July 11 and they swap my PAP2T that was working fine. I bring home the replacement to find they did a bait and switch - gave me the really old PAP2T-NA that they told me they stopped using 2y ago because of all kinds of problems. Worst is, I no longer have phone service, they locked me out of my adapter (changed the passwords). My network sees the device, it's obvious they have not programmed it to reach their SIP server so my phone service does not work at all. They won't return calls or emails.

-On May31 there was a total failure from Friday until Monday. I later learned that other customers had service back on Saturday. And, the only way I could get it back was to do the work of reprogramming the ATA myself! They refused to come to my house but I know the owner drives to Hamilton and Toronto to help customers. Two days later they said they had to get into my ATA to program it again. My service is working, they won't say why they want into my network. I was given an ultimatum - open my network to their technician or have my phone service cancelled! In addition, they have turned off all of my features today. I have NEVER been harassed and threatened by a service company EVER until now!

Good luck if you choose this company. You get what you pay for so do yourself a favour - pay a little more and get something for it!

NOTE: **This is NOT a billing issue - I am CURRENT and always have been!

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Emails

Generally no ISP will back up email. It's a best of effort service and is generally spelled out very clear for that. That is why its best to use your own domain and its own host for that. Never use your ISP unless it hosts in the cloud and has backup servers in place, but still have the issue of if the ISP sells and you must change your email addy.

Review by Fallsvue See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON

Seriously, save your money. Too many outages and the company doesn't care to warn prior, inform during or even apologize after. When I called for the last outage there is a recording and their mailbox is full. With previous incidents the repeatedly blame it on the provider. Will switch shortly

Comments:

Review by Celery See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Cheaper than Cogeco, better caps"
Bad "80GB cap on an 8Mbps profile is low, service outages are over multiple days. "
Overall "Cheap and flaky."

·Start Communicat..
Iktel used to have issues with slow speeds, but those have been worked out and I've had near perfect speeds.

I have been having consistent speeds, great streaming of movies via Netflix and am paying around $32 a month including taxes.

No service issues since the slow speeds, which was 6 months ago.

***As of September 5, 2013, I have been down with no Internet for 2 days. I am done with Iktel.

member for 10.5 years, 1493 visits, last login: 114 days ago

Comments:

Review by brawnybronco See Profile

Good "It's cheap"
Bad "horrible communication"
Overall "meh"

Updated reviews: Since the issues have cleared up I've had few issues. But my biggest complaint is the complete lack of communication when there are the scattered issues. Outage for 5 hours? No notice. No followup.

Original Review (I won't take it down):The ISP is a scam. 99% of the time you'll be lucky to get 1/10th the advertised speeds. The support is non-existent with the owner\tech blaming everyone but his own service. Asking to be downgraded for cheaper results in him making excuses for you to continue paying more for the same service as those paying for the bottom tier. It is currently taking me 1hr on to download a 85mb file, on my laptop leeching off a neighbor (with only 2 bars) it took 10 minutes. The best part is that he's going to DOCSIS 3 in Feb! So that modem you bought a month ago needs to be upgraded. Who would have thought that a Nigerian would be running a con?

Comments:

Review by GreenEnvy22 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Prices and cap ceiling are good. Speeds have been fixed"

·Start Communicat..
I got Iktel in the late summer, and for a couple months it was great. Speeds were quick and it was reliable. Then starting in October/November, speeds began dropping massively. Speedtests were getting a max of 6-7Mbps instead of the 16 they were a couple weeks earlier. Uploads remained at the proper 1Mbps.

Allan, the owner/operator, said they were oversold/congested, and that they were upgrading the connection by the end of November. That upgrade did not fix any issues, they actually seem worse now. If I have a download going, my wife often can't even surf any webpages, she keeps getting timeouts. Speedtests show sub 2Mbps frequently.

Update June 2012: A few weeks after my initial review (several weeks ago), Iktel solved the issue. They say it was a Cogeco issue. Since then, speeds have been good, and reliability has been good too. My only remaining complants with Iktel are that tech support isn't very good, and the website is a mess. But I can live with those because the price and performance is good.

member for 3 years, 747 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by iamdrumming See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Price. Speeds are back to normal"
Bad "Wish for more communication"

As an updated review, it seems that things are back to normal at ikTel. Speeds are good, and you can't beat the price for a Cogeoc TPIA. I recommend them. Just wish their doors of communication were more open to their customers.

Comments:

Review by jandsbob See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "its cheap"
Bad "its dial up speeds"

I ordered the 14Mb package for 45 a month and get blazing speeds of up to 200Kb sec. The tech support consists of the owner Alan blaming everyone but his service for the issues. Avoid at all costs.

Comments:

Review by AwolRJ See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Cheapest in Area and no implemented caps so far..."
Bad "Getting to be congested"
Overall "Worth it if they upgrade there equipment like promised."

Was very happy to get away from bhell a few months ago and this service was great. Just lately getting some congestion at peak hours. The owner promises everything to be back to normal by end of the month and if it does I recommend this isp to anyone in the area. If he doesn't upgrade he may go out of business as fast as he went in!

Edit: While it appears it aint back to normal even though he said he upgraded equipment. He is now blaming it on Cogeco when he said in the beginning he was totally segregated from there network, he is now flip flopping and saying cogeco is throttling and implementing caps on his customers! I can't recommend this Service to anyone at this time!

Comments:

Review by eotsuka See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Very reasonable fast cable internet in the Niagara Region."
Bad "Only one transit provider (Cogent)"
Overall "Go for it, it is the best provider in the Niagara Region"

Was on Bell Fibe 16 plan but we noticed that we kept going over the limit and our free 4 month promotion was coming to a end.

So with some research I found ikTel Networks on DSLR and figured I would try it. I used the SB5101 (Used Comcast cable modem) - not the approved SB5101N but it works regardless.

The plan I am on is the Pro plan (14mbps/1mbps down).

Only problem is because of the install time to install - this was due to the rush of student installs in my area.

All in all great service, and low price.