exede by ViaSat page on DSLReports

Review by mikefi99 See Profile

• Location: Des Moines,Polk,IA
Good "good"

basic
via phone, fast but tech not so friendly. installed on opposite side of room.
Surfbeam 2 - RM4100
big dish

Comments:
Exede Kim

join:2014-05-09
Rockford, IL

Good: "good"...

mikefi99, nice to see your positive review. (: If you have any questions about your service or ever need assistance, I can always be reached at exedelistens@viasat.com. Have a good one.

Review by kellyms00264 See Profile

• Location: Temperance,Monroe,MI
Good "None"
Bad "No service and fees"
Overall "SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had Exede installed on Monday as a bundle with my Direct TV. The technician had trouble finding a spot to place the dish that would receive a signal. He concluded on the front of my house is the only spot it would work because we live on a lot with large pines. Wonderful right? I agreed and he installed it. When he left he informed me it was not hooked up yet, they were not suppose to do that (oddly enough), but it just needed plugged in. He did tell me that it was getting great signal though. He left, I signed nothing with Exede. Once my husband got home, he finished hooking it up. Great signal? How about no signal! It would not even load Google! I called hours after it was installed to cancel it, stating it just does not work where we are located. Customer service tried trouble shooting. No success. Offered to send another tech out. No thanks. Also suggested I trim my maple trees and pines in my front yard! Absolutely not. Final suggestion was placing a pole in my front yard. You have got to be kidding me, no. The first tech knew it was not going to work, and that is why he did not finish hooking it up before he left. Finally customer service cancelled our service and filed a dispute for the cancellation fees because we are under contract (even though I never signed anything).

Today, Thursday, I see the fees have been pulled from my account. I called customer service and was informed no dispute was ever filed. She filed one for me. I called back later in the day to verify it was actually filed this time. It had been.

Overall, this is such a scam company. They hooked up service knowing there was going to be no service and now want to charge early cancellation fees. I was a customer for 10 hours and would not recommend Exede to anyone! I am still dealing with them days later and being charge over $300 in fees for 10 hours of a product that does not work. Plus I am expected to remove the product that should have never been placed up there to send it back to them. What a joke!

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Attorney General

Most states have an Attorney General Consumer Fraud Protection division. Here is the link for you:

»secure.ag.state.mi.us/complaints···mer.aspx

This is probably your best bet. The year is 2014. You don't have to sign a contract for it to be legally binding. The technical/legal term is Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or UETA if you want to google it.

You would be far better off making headache through the consumer fraud complaint, BBB complaints, FTC complaints, so forth and so on. The regulatory agencies like PUC do not have jurisdiction - however, most times they will still forward the complaint and again, cause them headache.

Good luck.

Review by dcsmith2000 See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Henry,KY
Good "Great Service!!"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

The package that I have from Exede is 10GB for $59 with the taxes and other charges it comes out to $60.58 a month, the advertised price for the service was $59, the speed that I was told I would receive was 12mbps download and 3mbps upload. As I live in a rural area of KY this is extremely faster that dial up or even using a USB modem from Sprint or Verizon which I have tried both in the past with terrible luck. When it came to the install of service I contacted a couple of installers in my area and went with the one that had done the most installs and had been doing it for the longest, process was smooth, I was up and running within and hour and a half. As I feel this is the most important part of any service I spent time and did research on the installer. The modem is the standard modem that comes with the service (Surfbeam 2) and I have a Asus RT-N56U wireless router which works great. I have had the service for almost two years now and only had to call customer service once. I spoke to a very nice lady in Texas who resolved my problem in less than 5 min. I was very skeptical at first about the service but my wife and I both believe this is the best service. I am currently getting speeds of 19mbps down and 2.87mpbs upload. Of course if you have cable or dls in your area I don't know why you would even look at satellite internet service. We are so pleased with our service we are thinking of switching to Exede Voice and get rid of our current phone provider. As far as the complaints on this site about the terrible service I can only guess that the install was not done very well. This is a great service for people in rural areas!! I know that I only joined this site this week and the only reason I did join was to give this review of Exede as I saw a lot of negative reviews. I have been reading post on this site for several years and I find it is a good place to learn about all aspects of the internet.

Comments:
hoyt

join:2014-08-20
Marshall, NC
·exede by ViaSat

Another happy user

I am nearby, in western NC, and want to reinforce this positive review. I have had Viasat for a year or more, $60 a month, and have nothing but praise. I made a couple of trouble calls and they were answered quickly and correctly and I was back in business right away. I suppose if you get a bad tech you should try again in a bit.

Terri Luksha

@184.63.125.x

this is the WORST, LOW INTEGRITY Company I have EVER dealt with!

We got viasat by Excede when we moved to our new home, before it was even installed they took $200 out of our bank account. When I called to ask what that was for (and why didn't I get a warning) I was told there were three different options for paying for my equipment and they just put us down for the $200 fee up front. Next, the installer came to our home, that same day, Excede took the monthly payment out of our bank account and then sent us the bill (thanks for the heads up??). After that I called and instructed them they were no longer permitted to take money out of my account, I would call and make the payment, this happened just like clockwork for two months, the third month Excede took another monthly payment out of our bank account without instruction to do so. I called in to explain what had happened and was told "don't worry there is no bank account associated with your account now." I asked how do I trust that and furthermore I am getting ready to close that account, next month it will be closed, the bank will reopen the account if you try to take money and will charge me bounced check fees. I was told by the customer service representative then that there is really nothing I can do about it because I signed a contract with them, they can take money out of my account whenever they feel like it--I was appalled!
Be careful, if you are considering doing business with this company they are a predator!

Review by hoyt See Profile

• Location: Marshall,Madison,NC
Good "everything"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "excellent reliability and customer service"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had this service and its Wild Blue predecessor for several years. Almost no outages; several calls to tech support answered quickly and correctly. Very happy. Cost $50 a month.

Comments:

Unhappy

@70.211.64.x

Not happy with this company at all

There were no other options for me when I moved into my new home and I was happy to get any internet service as I work from home. After a year of service I wanted to move my service to another building on the property. I was told there is no moving, I would need to set up a new account. So I did. Upon the two year contract expiring, I called to cancel the original contract, they told me that I should have just moved the service. Not to mention I was on hold for 25 minutes. Then during the transfer to technical support I was disconnected. The call back took 18 minutes to answer. When the new customer service rep took over she knew nothing of why I wanted to cancel, there were no notes in the account. 36 minutes later she was going to transfer me to technical support, and again I was disconnected. So know I am on call #3, this gentleman has cancelled the first service. And set up a tech visit that will cost me $95 to transfer back to the original building. Oh yeah I also have to climb up to the sattalite dish on the roof of my landlord to grab something off the dish to send back to them or I get charged up to $300. What a joke. And that last call took over 38 minutes to complete. I will never do business with this company again. Horrible customer service!!!!

Review by nancy See Profile

• Location: Harbor Beach,Huron,MI
Bad "Unfriendly or Illegal practices?"
Overall "Save time & money-avoid them"

UNFRIENDLY-This company is the worst. I felt beat-up trying to deal with them. I own my own business, and could not access my website due to their web-accelerator. After seven calls, still no solution other than calling in to them to disable it every 2-3 days when it automatically re-sets. I had to do my work on the computers/internet at the local library. They still reject my request to waive early termination fees. Serivce was slow, customer service was just canned responses.

ILLEGAL? not sure, but they prorate the first bill to include days over one month-was $68 then second bill, which I only used 1 day our of 30-they say they can't prorate. Odd. Every other company I deal with who prorates service does it both ways.

You could not ask for a more unhappy customer. Save your time and money. It is the most expensive service out there, and offers the worst service.

Comments:

Review by skillsmw See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "speed, 12p to 5am unmetered time, service tech"
Bad "none"
Overall "good service"

Wow, i see a lot of bad reviews here. i live in oklahoma and i have had exede for about a year. my mom has had exede for about 2 years and my grandparents have had it for about a year and a half. I have never had any of the problems these reviewers are having with exede. the installation tech was good he knew what he was doing. we had the same guy for all 3 of our accounts. the speed of the internet is good i pull 19mb instead of the advertised 12mb. i have had 2 outages in the year i have had it and it was just because of the weather i think because it was working again the following day. all in all i love it my mom is happy with it and my grandparents are happy there off dialup lol i would recommend exede to anyone in my area because its good here i dont know about other areas where people are having all these problems.

Comments:

okie

@184.63.41.x

oklahoma excede voice

I am considering switching to exede voice instead of a landline. I must have good voice service and my cell phone does not work out here (at &t, Verizon, none of them work). I can't watch movies very well, although I can watch you tube without too much trouble. Would like ANY input on whether I will have a problem making and receiving calls anytime.

Review by Chevali3r See Profile

Good "Not a whole lot"
Bad "Lack of customer support, slower than dial-up at many times."
Overall "Don't waste your time on Exede"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had Exede for quite a few months now and I'm incredibly unhappy with the company.

Our first issue has been with managing the account online. My wife and I prefer to use the websites to manage as much as possible so that we don't have to deal with slow and often misinformed representatives. So we create our account when we set up the service. My wife attempts to log in to manage our bill, but it tells her we don't have an account. She tries to create a new online account with the exact same info and it tells us an account already exists. We call Customer Support to figure it out... They give us this run around and eventually tell us there's nothing they can do... So we've been without an online account for the entire extent of our service. We can't even use the exede e-mail address.

Our next problem is with the data cap. 12gb is decent enough, but we've never gotten that. Maybe 6 mbps at the highest. I've checked my network up and down for kinks that could slow the connections from our end, but there's nothing. Then they slap you with a 10gb, 15 gb, or 25 gb data cap. We went with the 10gb because we were told we could increase the plan later if we wanted. The thing is, when you go over the cap they throttle you... I get .5 mbps when throttled. I expect to be slowed down, but not to less than 5% of my plan's offered speed.

On top of that, there's still the latency issues. I'm pinging servers at 600-3200 ms...

There's a new internet provider in my area offering a much better deal and I'm going to switch to them asap... I would advise anyone considering Exede to just save their money, even if it's their only option.

Comments:

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

Pings

Those ping times are typical for satellite internet. What do you expect when the signal is going thousands of miles into space and back?

Re: Pings

Bad information. You would be correct.

I'm not quite sure why people get Satellite internet. I would rather have dial-up or one-way satellite using whatever landline service is available. Even if it was dial-up, your latency would be cut in at least half.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA
·Verizon Online DSL

said by xQim:

said by pjsutton:

Thousands of miles? Try again, they are hundreds of miles. I used to work on satellite communications in the military and a landline connection pinging a server from say Boston to LA is longer than the distance between the end user and the satellite. The issue is that you are using microwaves to establish and maintain the connection which is subject to lots of variables; SNR, Amount of power you are pushing to your satellite, how wide the beam is (Spot Vs Earth Beam), etc.... Same with Cellular Internet except it doesn't need to travel into space so the latency is lower but still considerably higher than all landline internet from ISDN up. The exception would be if you lived in a metropoliton area with 4G.

From Hughesnet.com:

Are there activities that are not recommended for use with a satellite connection?
VPNs. Since your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space, VPN usage for residential customers is generally not recommended as you may see overall speed reduced by 50%u201370% because of data encryption.

oneupsf

@198.244.101.x
One expects to get what they pay for!!!

said by oneupsf :

One expects to get what they pay for!!!

Correct! It should be that way. Unfortunately, the gimmick is "up to," therefore they have zero responisiblity to give you the service for which you are paying.

oneupsf

Re: Pings

Your 100% right and we are over a barrel. The only way to change this type of corporate behavior and greed is when people exit their services in mass. It has to hurt them financially to effect change. The only other way I see it is to shoot their satellite out of the sky or if it blows up when colliding with space junk! Where is Putin when you really need him?

2 edits

said by oneupsf :

Where is Putin when you really need him?

We'll, sorry for the insensitivity. Not sure what your point is then.

Oneupsf

Re: Pings

I made and make no reference to MH17, that is your assumption and a totally different issue than what we are discussing here.

Both Russia and the USA have space and spy satallite programs, unmanned! I would never reference the human tradgey of MH17 in an issue of internet service providers. Snowden yes!

Wow, not everybody thinks like that!
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Tell me more.

Hmm.... 12gb is not much for me. However, your speed seems okay for satellite
What was (or is) the plan you are subscribed to? The pings on satellite internet will always suck though.

Satellite Is Terrible

You don't have access to ISDN or an ISP that would offer V.92 dial-up bonding so you could at least get 64Kbps/64Kbps or 128Kbps/128Kbps (ISDN) with a latency of 120ms or lower? The bonding of dial-up would still have 175ms+ for latency but it would be quicker than satellite, plus you would likely get 112.5Kbps (bonded).

Review by josephjah See Profile

• Location: Redondo Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Worst service from any company I've ever dealt with."
Overall "Please, even if this is your only choice, don't do this to yourself!!!"

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS.
PLEASE. DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!!!! YOU DON'T NEED THIS STRESS IN YOUR LIFE.

...Normally you can find a small glimmer of something positive with a bad company, but you can't with this company, these people are crooks, thieves, liars, and lack the necessary training to provide even regional-class service. I can't rate them low enough.

- Installed incorrectly
- Falsely charged for service calls
- Took 4 months to solve my connection problems (turns out the had stapled through the cables).
- I've spent at least 20 hours on the phone arguing and pleading with them.
- They don't give their techs a computer to diagnose problems. They require that you have one on hand. Otherwise you're SOL!
- Each tech gave me a different story as to why I was having problems
- Multiple times I was lied to (claiming the tech got into an accident, claiming the tech was sick, claiming the service was "green on their end") to avoid coming out to my house.
- Service tech was sloppy and unprofessional.
- About 60% of the time they "transfer" you to "someone" but it just immediately disconnects, then you get to wait another 45 minutes.
- They are late to appointments. Hours late. My tech actually made a butt-call to my phone after ignoring my calls and later was fired for failing a drug test.
- My service appointments kept getting cancelled because it was "green on their end", but they would cancel and give me a call at 6pm and when I would call back the line would immediately disconnect. Annoying to say the least!

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Hope I can help! :)

Hey, have you disconnected with them and switched to another ISP. If not, I would be happy to fix these, probably simple problems, that most techs will go in circles with you for. I remember for CL we went through five modems and just decided to buy a 200 dollar router. Bam! It was fixed.

However, I would guess it would be different for you. My grandparents have Exede and it is surely and upgrade from Dial Up, we sometime get 20mbps up there. I really suggest buying a $100+ router like a Netgear N900, NG Nighthawk, or a Motorola Surfboard. 'Cause the signal quality from their modems is super poor.
oldfart

join:2008-04-08
Woody, CA

Exede

Wish you had posted sooner as I am having Exede installed.
Will keep Hughesnet (had for 10 yrs) and post speed comparisons.
Wish me luck, please.

Review by EXEDE Blows See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "With all the bad reviews let's hope this company goes under and the maggots that work here are put on the street. Losers!!!!!"
Bad "Everything. Worst company ever. "
Overall "I hope the CEO is brought up on charges and the company collapses. "

This is by far the worst company in the world. First off, they told me they'd be here to install July 2nd. I take the day off and at 10 am get an email saying they'll be here on the 5th. Then on the 5th the "Slug" who installed the dish, showed up 2 hours late, moped around like he hated his job, took forever to set it up. Kept asking to use my restroom. And then when he finished, he verified it worked on his computer and said, "Later."

I said, "No, wait a minute. I was told you'd set up the router and check to see it works before you left."

He said, "Not my job."

I said, "Fine, get the hell out of my house."

I then called customer service and it sounds like they're having a party there in the office. They obviously didn't give a shit about my complaints and refused to even be understandable why I was mad about my first experiences with their company.

After 2 weeks my data usage was exceeded and I had specifically told them that I work from home and needed fast and reliable service and they said I'd be fine. Liars. Just like all the cowards that work here.

To all Exede employees. You people are the scum of the earth. I hope nothing but the worst for all of you and your families. You people should be ashamed of yourselves and I hope you're all put out of work and thrown on the streets where you belong.

Comments:

kcbw

@64.233.172.x

poor service

If exede is that bad they won't last long. I used to install for time warner. They have high standards and strict quality control people that go behind their installers and fine them if job isn't right

Review by kltodd See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Bad "This is the worst service provider I have ever dealt with in 14 years!!"
Overall "This company should be shut down "

We selected this internet service provider because it was offered in a bundle with Direct TV. It never worked properly as it was extremely slow. Within a few days we received notice the the data useage had been exceeded. We couldn't even use the service so I'm not sure how we exceeded the limit. We called customer service and they sent someone out. They redirected the the dish even though the technican said the placement looked fine. We called multple times and heard the same excuses on weather, wrong modem etc. It never worked. It has taken us three calls to get them to disconnect the service. They keep disconnecting the call. And they are charging us $300 to disconnect. This company is a complete SCAM.

Comments:

Ihateyouexed

@198.45.161.x

Worst satilite internet company

Ok this internet company sucks you can't play online games because of 700 - 1000 ping the other problem they just want more and more money I just can't f###ing stand this internet company I do not recommend this at all its just trying to scam you and make more money, but please do not use this internet company.
EXEDE Blows

join:2014-07-25
USA

Via Sat Inc. is the name of this company for BBB complaints.

Via Sat Inc. is the name of Exede. Use this name to file your BBB claims. Only takes 5 minutes to fill out.

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Why?

Why in the h*** would you sign up for satellite based internet to begin with? Sounds like someone didn't do their research.

leatrice

@184.21.236.x

Re: Why?

we have no option where we live..i have not done my complaining yet