exede by ViaSat page on DSLReports

Review by kellyms00264 See Profile

• Location: Temperance,Monroe,MI
Good "None"
Bad "No service and fees"
Overall "SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had Exede installed on Monday as a bundle with my Direct TV. The technician had trouble finding a spot to place the dish that would receive a signal. He concluded on the front of my house is the only spot it would work because we live on a lot with large pines. Wonderful right? I agreed and he installed it. When he left he informed me it was not hooked up yet, they were not suppose to do that (oddly enough), but it just needed plugged in. He did tell me that it was getting great signal though. He left, I signed nothing with Exede. Once my husband got home, he finished hooking it up. Great signal? How about no signal! It would not even load Google! I called hours after it was installed to cancel it, stating it just does not work where we are located. Customer service tried trouble shooting. No success. Offered to send another tech out. No thanks. Also suggested I trim my maple trees and pines in my front yard! Absolutely not. Final suggestion was placing a pole in my front yard. You have got to be kidding me, no. The first tech knew it was not going to work, and that is why he did not finish hooking it up before he left. Finally customer service cancelled our service and filed a dispute for the cancellation fees because we are under contract (even though I never signed anything).

Today, Thursday, I see the fees have been pulled from my account. I called customer service and was informed no dispute was ever filed. She filed one for me. I called back later in the day to verify it was actually filed this time. It had been.

Overall, this is such a scam company. They hooked up service knowing there was going to be no service and now want to charge early cancellation fees. I was a customer for 10 hours and would not recommend Exede to anyone! I am still dealing with them days later and being charge over $300 in fees for 10 hours of a product that does not work. Plus I am expected to remove the product that should have never been placed up there to send it back to them. What a joke!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Attorney General

Most states have an Attorney General Consumer Fraud Protection division. Here is the link for you:

»secure.ag.state.mi.us/complaints···mer.aspx

This is probably your best bet. The year is 2014. You don't have to sign a contract for it to be legally binding. The technical/legal term is Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or UETA if you want to google it.

You would be far better off making headache through the consumer fraud complaint, BBB complaints, FTC complaints, so forth and so on. The regulatory agencies like PUC do not have jurisdiction - however, most times they will still forward the complaint and again, cause them headache.

Good luck.

Review by Chevali3r See Profile

Good "Not a whole lot"
Bad "Lack of customer support, slower than dial-up at many times."
Overall "Don't waste your time on Exede"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had Exede for quite a few months now and I'm incredibly unhappy with the company.

Our first issue has been with managing the account online. My wife and I prefer to use the websites to manage as much as possible so that we don't have to deal with slow and often misinformed representatives. So we create our account when we set up the service. My wife attempts to log in to manage our bill, but it tells her we don't have an account. She tries to create a new online account with the exact same info and it tells us an account already exists. We call Customer Support to figure it out... They give us this run around and eventually tell us there's nothing they can do... So we've been without an online account for the entire extent of our service. We can't even use the exede e-mail address.

Our next problem is with the data cap. 12gb is decent enough, but we've never gotten that. Maybe 6 mbps at the highest. I've checked my network up and down for kinks that could slow the connections from our end, but there's nothing. Then they slap you with a 10gb, 15 gb, or 25 gb data cap. We went with the 10gb because we were told we could increase the plan later if we wanted. The thing is, when you go over the cap they throttle you... I get .5 mbps when throttled. I expect to be slowed down, but not to less than 5% of my plan's offered speed.

On top of that, there's still the latency issues. I'm pinging servers at 600-3200 ms...

There's a new internet provider in my area offering a much better deal and I'm going to switch to them asap... I would advise anyone considering Exede to just save their money, even if it's their only option.

Comments:

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

Pings

Those ping times are typical for satellite internet. What do you expect when the signal is going thousands of miles into space and back?

Re: Pings

Bad information. You would be correct.

I'm not quite sure why people get Satellite internet. I would rather have dial-up or one-way satellite using whatever landline service is available. Even if it was dial-up, your latency would be cut in at least half.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA
·Verizon Online DSL

said by xQim:

said by pjsutton:

Thousands of miles? Try again, they are hundreds of miles. I used to work on satellite communications in the military and a landline connection pinging a server from say Boston to LA is longer than the distance between the end user and the satellite. The issue is that you are using microwaves to establish and maintain the connection which is subject to lots of variables; SNR, Amount of power you are pushing to your satellite, how wide the beam is (Spot Vs Earth Beam), etc.... Same with Cellular Internet except it doesn't need to travel into space so the latency is lower but still considerably higher than all landline internet from ISDN up. The exception would be if you lived in a metropoliton area with 4G.

From Hughesnet.com:

Are there activities that are not recommended for use with a satellite connection?
VPNs. Since your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space, VPN usage for residential customers is generally not recommended as you may see overall speed reduced by 50%u201370% because of data encryption.

oneupsf

@198.244.101.x
One expects to get what they pay for!!!

said by oneupsf :

One expects to get what they pay for!!!

Correct! It should be that way. Unfortunately, the gimmick is "up to," therefore they have zero responisiblity to give you the service for which you are paying.

oneupsf

Re: Pings

Your 100% right and we are over a barrel. The only way to change this type of corporate behavior and greed is when people exit their services in mass. It has to hurt them financially to effect change. The only other way I see it is to shoot their satellite out of the sky or if it blows up when colliding with space junk! Where is Putin when you really need him?

2 edits

said by oneupsf :

Where is Putin when you really need him?

We'll, sorry for the insensitivity. Not sure what your point is then.

Oneupsf

Re: Pings

I made and make no reference to MH17, that is your assumption and a totally different issue than what we are discussing here.

Both Russia and the USA have space and spy satallite programs, unmanned! I would never reference the human tradgey of MH17 in an issue of internet service providers. Snowden yes!

Wow, not everybody thinks like that!
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Tell me more.

Hmm.... 12gb is not much for me. However, your speed seems okay for satellite
What was (or is) the plan you are subscribed to? The pings on satellite internet will always suck though.

Satellite Is Terrible

You don't have access to ISDN or an ISP that would offer V.92 dial-up bonding so you could at least get 64Kbps/64Kbps or 128Kbps/128Kbps (ISDN) with a latency of 120ms or lower? The bonding of dial-up would still have 175ms+ for latency but it would be quicker than satellite, plus you would likely get 112.5Kbps (bonded).

Review by josephjah See Profile

• Location: Redondo Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Worst service from any company I've ever dealt with."
Overall "Please, even if this is your only choice, don't do this to yourself!!!"

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS.
PLEASE. DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF!!!!! YOU DON'T NEED THIS STRESS IN YOUR LIFE.

...Normally you can find a small glimmer of something positive with a bad company, but you can't with this company, these people are crooks, thieves, liars, and lack the necessary training to provide even regional-class service. I can't rate them low enough.

- Installed incorrectly
- Falsely charged for service calls
- Took 4 months to solve my connection problems (turns out the had stapled through the cables).
- I've spent at least 20 hours on the phone arguing and pleading with them.
- They don't give their techs a computer to diagnose problems. They require that you have one on hand. Otherwise you're SOL!
- Each tech gave me a different story as to why I was having problems
- Multiple times I was lied to (claiming the tech got into an accident, claiming the tech was sick, claiming the service was "green on their end") to avoid coming out to my house.
- Service tech was sloppy and unprofessional.
- About 60% of the time they "transfer" you to "someone" but it just immediately disconnects, then you get to wait another 45 minutes.
- They are late to appointments. Hours late. My tech actually made a butt-call to my phone after ignoring my calls and later was fired for failing a drug test.
- My service appointments kept getting cancelled because it was "green on their end", but they would cancel and give me a call at 6pm and when I would call back the line would immediately disconnect. Annoying to say the least!

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Hope I can help! :)

Hey, have you disconnected with them and switched to another ISP. If not, I would be happy to fix these, probably simple problems, that most techs will go in circles with you for. I remember for CL we went through five modems and just decided to buy a 200 dollar router. Bam! It was fixed.

However, I would guess it would be different for you. My grandparents have Exede and it is surely and upgrade from Dial Up, we sometime get 20mbps up there. I really suggest buying a $100+ router like a Netgear N900, NG Nighthawk, or a Motorola Surfboard. 'Cause the signal quality from their modems is super poor.
oldfart

join:2008-04-08
Woody, CA

Exede

Wish you had posted sooner as I am having Exede installed.
Will keep Hughesnet (had for 10 yrs) and post speed comparisons.
Wish me luck, please.

Review by kltodd See Profile

• Location: Blacklick,Franklin,OH
Bad "This is the worst service provider I have ever dealt with in 14 years!!"
Overall "This company should be shut down "

We selected this internet service provider because it was offered in a bundle with Direct TV. It never worked properly as it was extremely slow. Within a few days we received notice the the data useage had been exceeded. We couldn't even use the service so I'm not sure how we exceeded the limit. We called customer service and they sent someone out. They redirected the the dish even though the technican said the placement looked fine. We called multple times and heard the same excuses on weather, wrong modem etc. It never worked. It has taken us three calls to get them to disconnect the service. They keep disconnecting the call. And they are charging us $300 to disconnect. This company is a complete SCAM.

Comments:

Ihateyouexed

@198.45.161.x

Worst satilite internet company

Ok this internet company sucks you can't play online games because of 700 - 1000 ping the other problem they just want more and more money I just can't f###ing stand this internet company I do not recommend this at all its just trying to scam you and make more money, but please do not use this internet company.
EXEDE Blows

join:2014-07-25
USA

Via Sat Inc. is the name of this company for BBB complaints.

Via Sat Inc. is the name of Exede. Use this name to file your BBB claims. Only takes 5 minutes to fill out.

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Why?

Why in the h*** would you sign up for satellite based internet to begin with? Sounds like someone didn't do their research.

leatrice

@184.21.236.x

Re: Why?

we have no option where we live..i have not done my complaining yet

Review by ExoticHill See Profile

• Location: Burnsville,Yancey,NC
Good "Techinician was good"
Bad "Corporate"
Overall "Go with someone else"

I just got hooked up yesterday with the 10GB basic account. It was bundled with DirecTV and was quoted $39.99/mo + monthly lease fee of modem. However, the order I got from DirecTV said $49.99 + the monthly lease of $9.99. The order as I mentioned was through DirecTV and the install was done by a courteous and knowledgeable tech. Although he told me that the wireless modem I currently had was like so many others that would drop the signal so he recommended that I buy a Linksys modem that he happened to carry. He said that Linksys didn't drop the connection like so many others.

Checked out my usage about an hour ago and it said I had already used 6.6 GB of my 10GB data limit. How the heck is that possible in less than a 24 hr. period? There is no way to see a breakdown of the data usage just a total amount. First chance I get to move to another provider will be not soon enough. When the time comes I will. Maybe those of us who have been lied to be either DirecTV or exceed by ViaSAT should considering filing a class action lawsuit.

Comments:

ViaSat CSR

@68.224.110.x

Data issues and misrepresentation of bundle

ViaSat is the company that offers the Wildblue and new Exede service. The two are different because of the satellites that the use. WildBlue utilizes WildBlue-1, Anik-1 and Anik-2. Exede uses the new Sat ViaSat -1 launched in 2011.
ViaSat has recently partnered with Direct TV and they are marketing "bundle" accounts. While D TV does offer a $10 discount for "bundling" the do not offer a true bundled type account and you will be billed directly from ViaSat for your internet service.
ViaSat is a company that is best suited for Rural customers that do not have access to better more high speed services. While ViaSat has acknowledged that they are not will suited to provide service to more urban customers, they urge the CSR's to not down talk the fact that they are not well suited for that demographic AND they WILL SUSTAIN the contract ETF's to any customer that was not aware of the product limitations, based on their ETF Waiver Matrix.
I helped as many customers as I could to fully educate them on the truth about ViaSat, and the fact that they were lied too by the DTV sales rep…….. I was employed by a telecommunications company called Sitel and this company found a random lame reason to terminate me from the company. They did me a favor since they are slave drivers forcing their ViaSat Reps to work a min of one and a half hours of OT per day for at lease the past 5 months. They encourage a high call volume since they make $10 per call on the ViaSat campaign, which is the reason that the customer service is so poor. There are Sitel staff members that sit at a supervisor on duty desk or (SOD) where they monitor the call follow and force the employees to take back to back calls and tried to write CSR's up for taking bathroom breaks.
SO if you agree with ViaSat and Sitels treatment of both their customers and employees, sign up and good luck.
But the above are a matter of fact and I hope that someone takes action against them both as they are bullies and should not be in business.

Sjames

@198.45.128.x

Why?

You probably have some games or windows updating or your watching movies. You can blow through 10 GBs in 6 hours watching hi def.

Are all you people lost in your own worlds? Do some darn research man!

Its hilarious all these reviews for the last 2+ years are the same. I can tell you did no research because you would have sided with all your other buddies on these reviews and not have gotten exede or any other satellite.

Review by Premiere02 See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax City,VA
Good "N/A"
Bad "Sales, Performance and Reliability, pretty much the entire company"
Overall "I implore you to go with any other ISP....even dial-up, it's really THAT BAD"

First off, let me preface this by saying this account was created for the sole purpose of writing this review and that we normally wouldn't write a review unless it was a truly horrid experience.

We were switching over from Cox cable/internet because our rates kept on going up to the point that we didn't deem it necessary to pay 190+ a month. We decided to go with DirecTV since there really weren't any other options in our area. So far, DirecTV has been a pleasant experience and we don't have any negative comments about them as a provider. We then were transferred to Exede as an ISP since they are partnered with DirecTV. We got the 10GB/12Mbps down/3Mbps up plan since we use the internet predominantly for email/work and not anything too intensive like gaming.

Here is high level breakdown of our experience with Exede

Sales:

What Exede Said: Unlike cable, we have a dedicated line so our speeds should be near or close to 12Mbps
In Actuality: During off peak times, assuming the internet was actually working (it is down A LOT!), we would get 2 - 3Mbps. During peak times, the internet would constantly drop in and out, but when it was actually working we would get anywhere from 0.3 to 0.8 Mbps. Considering this is satellite these speeds were consistent regardless of clear, cloudy or rainy conditions, however the internet was more prone to being down when it was raining.

What Exede Said: Nothing about a 2 year agreement.
In Actuality: When we tried to cancel after many days of trying to troubleshoot the issue with either the install or tech support, they said we were locked into a 2 year agreement and it would cost 15 dollars per remaining months on our contract to terminate service.

Bottom line: They'll say whatever, or in the case of the 2 year agreement omit any information so that you can sign up and pay.

Install:

What Exede Said: It doesn't matter how fast your internet is, as long as you have over a 6.5 decibel rating on your satellite signal.
In Actuality: The installer only tested to confirm that the dish has a 6.5 decibel rating on the satellite and did not even test the internet at all after the install. Running a simple speed test, or even opening up google.com, you can easily tell that the speed of the internet was unbearable. We had Exede do the install in the morning and when I got home to test it we were only getting 2Mbps down and by night time the internet was down.

What Exede Said: The internet is working so I can't do anything.
In Actuality: We had scheduled for someone to come out to see if they could troubleshoot the issue of the slow to no internet. Of course the day that someone comes out and troubleshoots the issue it actually starts to work and at a semi-decent speed. We were getting speeds of 4Mbps down and if we could consistently getting 4Mbps we would be OK with that but of course that night the internet went down again.

Bottom line: If your job is to install something you should probably make sure it's supposed to work like it's supposed too. Also, the installer was constantly on the phone and whenever we would ask him a question he would ignore us and just talk on the phone, at times he was on the phone with with Tech Support, but we thought it was extremely rude to just ignore us.

What We Asked Exede: Why aren't we getting the 12Mbps that was advertised?
What Exede Said: That is the advertised speed, however the speeds will vary depending on peak times and conditions.

What We Asked Exede: The sales guy said that it is a dedicated line and we should get close to 12Mbps.
What Exede Said: We are not responsible for what the sales team says.

What We Asked Exede: We were never told of a 2 year agreement or the early termination fee.
What Exede Said: Well the sales team SHOULD'VE told you.

What We Asked Exede: What's your corporate phone number?
What Exede Said: For safety reasons we are not allowed to give out that information. (This was coming from a supervisor)

Bottom Line: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favor and sign up with another internet service provider. We are at the point where we are going to pay the 345 early termination fee and signing back up with Cox.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Homework

Satellite service is not meant as a substitute for wireline service period. It is a service of last resort.

Had you done 30 seconds of Google research you wouldn't have this problem.
Expand your moderator at work
wildridge

join:2008-04-05
I agree with wirelessdog. Had you researched, you would have found that satellite internet never performs as expected for most people. I believe it has outlived it's useful purpose, but they still manage to sucker in a few here and there. As far as the contract goes, I don't see how you missed that.
Premiere02

join:2014-06-25
Fairfax, VA
·exede by ViaSat

Re: Homework

We probably should have done more research, but regardless the service should not have been that bad. The reliability of the service is one thing, but even when it was working it was unbearable.

As for the contract, we spoke to someone over the phone, ordered the service and there was no mention of a contract. Then when the tech came out to do the install none of the paperwork we signed said anything about a contract.
captobie
join:2008-08-20
Ferndale, WA
·Verizon Wireless..
said by wildridge:

I believe it has outlived it's useful purpose,

A little bit of research would reveal that there are still a lot of people out there for which this is their only viable broadband option. As crappy as it is, it still has a useful purpose.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Come on, everything has a contract, even wireless phone service. How could you not know that? As for the service, if it ever works at all you are lucky since it's a last resort service for folks out in the boonies who can't possibly get anything else. If you can get cellphone service you might try getting a Wi-Fi hotspot from whoever has service in your area, it would be cheaper and faster than Exede. Also since Bob Heil of heilsound.com uses it for his weekly Ham Nation video podcast from Missouri and it works fine for him you might try asking him why his works and yours don't and what to do about it. He can be seen on the twit.tv network on Wednesday evenings or emailed at K9EID@arrl.org. »twit.tv/show/ham-nation/155

Review by dosbugdocs See Profile

• Location: Mariposa,Mariposa,CA
Good "independent installer was good"
Bad "corporate"
Overall "if you have the option go with someone else"
Mail,DNS,News:

We've had the service for 11 days. My son programs and plays on-line games and we were told that the 10 gigs was sufficient at the time we signed up. That's a blatant lie on their part! We blew through the 10 gigs in 2 days and at that rate of usage I can't see any point in paying the bucks for 25 gigs and getting 5 days. Clearly this service is insufficient for our needs as a family. We can cancel, but at a cost of $300 early termination fee. I talked to the customer service rep and also to the so called "supervisor" there and they stuck to their guns on the 300 bucks. There should be some provision for termination within the first few days. I'm willing to pay to have the technician come out and pick up the equipment, but not that kind of money to this corporate monolith just because it's their policy. Policies can be altered or modified. Don't fall for their advertisements! Stay away from this company.

Comments:

Review by mmkraenzlein See Profile

• Location: Midland,Midland,MI
Mail,DNS,News:

This company will lie to get in you in the door.. The sales people will tell you what you want to hear to get you signed up, but don't expect any of it to be true. I would recommend recording each conversation you have with any individual in this company because they will stand by anything that was told to you by promises or deals made by other people. The service it self is not bad, I would say the same or a little better than Hughes net. But I would rather have bad service than have to deal with these people. Also as a word to the wise WATCH your bill, they like to hide little surprises in them.

Comments:
ExedeSherry

join:2014-02-24
Rockford, IL

mmkraenzlein

I received your email, and I'm sorry for all that you've experienced. I want to help you. I await your response so that I can give you a call. Thank you.

Review by merwil See Profile

• Location: Shelbyville,Shelby,KY
Good "Speed"
Bad "Latency, Capacity limits, Exede's calculation of usage"
Overall "I had it for less than 30 days and had to eat the $345 fee to cancell and go back to my old service of 5 mbs with no limitations"
Mail,DNS,News:

Prior to ordering Exede, I monitored my own data usage for 2 months. I used approximately 10 gig of data in 1.5 months. I then decided to take the leap and order Exede. After 2.5 weeks of little usage and no streaming (I don't have Netflix or any other video streaming - was hoping to take advantage of that in the after hours period) I had exceeded my 10 gig of usage. My speed went from 12 mbs to 512kbs. Unbearable and I am not willing to pay extra for more capacity when I don't even think their meters are correct. Also, the latency is much worse than they will lead you to believe. All of my tests came back around 950 ms. Terrible. Lastly, when I called to express my displeasure with the service after less than 30 days of service, they would not budge on the termination penalty of $15/month of my remaining 23 months. The service is so bad, I was happy to pay it to get rid of this service. I have never posted a review and I had to sign up to this site just to post this one. If you do doubt this review and others and get temped to try Exede, get someone there to provide you in writing a 30 day money back guarantee or trial period.

Comments:

Anon

@comcastbusiness.net

Bad Customer Service

Excede failed after 1 week. Called and received multiple explanations. Cancelled w/in two weeks and was hit with $360 charge on credit card. Then charged $150 for equipment I returned. I signed with Directv and not Excede. Never received a paper bill or signed contract. Never informed of cancellation charge. Filed complaint with Atty General and will fight. Am considering charging Excede for free advertising as they refuse to remove dish from my roof.

Anon

@spcsdns.net

Re: Bad Customer Service

I wonder what these companies are going to do as the years go by. I remember being on a 5GB cap, I could barley use the service when I waned because of the cap. This time in age is not going to work with low caps. I will go back to Unlimited Dial-up before going with a faster capped connection.

Disappointed

@cox.net
They are horrible!!! I am paying $150 per month for service I can't even use!!!! I want to cancel but they say I am locked in for 24 months...I never signed a contract...They say I have to pay $350 to get out of contract....I am not doing that....what can I do??

Review by Atrimmer0109 See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Can't think of any"
Bad "Bad connection, untrained installer, low usage limit"
Mail,DNS,News:

I ordered the internet service through DirecTv so I could bundle the TV and Internet for a cheaper price. The lady that installed my satellite dish for the internet told me I had 30 days to cancel the service. Well if I knew I would not have it installed since the dish had to go on the front audit my roof.

Prior to the installation, I told the representative on the phone that my husband and I both take college classes online daily and have to take tests online as well so we'd need a reliable internet. She said we should get 10gb/mo and should be more than enough. Well 3 days after installation, I received an email from the company saying that I had used up 80% of monthly usage limit. I mean holy smokes, we were on the internet no more than 3 hours each day ad the company slowed down our internet. I just called today to cancel the service and representative told me I'm already under contract I can't get out of without paying early termination fee of $345. I explained that I was told I had 30 days specifically to cancel the internet but their untrained installer and that it wasn't fair for me to pay that much money because I was misinformed. The representative said that wether the installer gave me wrong information I was still responsible to pay, I asked for the corporate office number to discuss about this matter then she laughs and said that the corporate will not reverse the fee and I'd be pretty much wasting my time.

However, I increased my usage limit to 15gb/mo, but that still doesn't seem to help at all. I have had this company for 5 months now but I have to say, where I live, (Tacoma, WA) Comcast is the largest internet provider which I had prior to switching internet providers. The reason I switched was that I was paying quite a bit of money for the service but it's true when they say you get what you pay for. Exede is the Worst internet provider ever and I'm going back to Comcast. I had always had a reliable internet through them and most importantly their customer service was phenomenal. I should have done more research but I will not recommend this company to anybody.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 318 days ago

Comments:
Exede Eliza

join:2013-07-30

30 day trial

Hello Atrimmer0109.

I'm sorry to hear about what you experienced. I can understand the frustration about receiving inaccurate information. I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask you to see if there is anything I can do to help. If you would be willing to send an e-mail outlining the details of what happened, the phone number associated with your account, and the best days/times to reach you, I will be more than happy to look into your situation a bit further.

Take care
Exede Eliza

join:2013-07-30

it helps if...

I include my contact email address!!

exedelistens@viasat.com

Thanks!
Not Happy

join:2014-01-18
United State

Completely lead down the primrose path.

Before even signing up I was first lied to by Direct TV. I was going to be switching from my price gouging cable and decided to use Direct TV at my residence. I asked them about internet service as a package. I was asked a number of questions about what we use the internet for and how often. I explained that we do a high order of usage due to game systems, Youtube, Netflicks and such. (That's what happens with three teens in the house). After being put on hold twice the "bundling specialist" told me the Excede would work. Due to their speed of 12 down and 3 up. Since they partnered with them they could order it and they sent me to Excede. I had absolutely no problems with either installation and the Directv service is great. But... after installing the internet I found out that for some reason my internet became increasing slow around 9 that night. When I went to the website is how I found out it was metered! Only 10 gigs REALLY!, No one during the process informed me that I was going to be held hostage to 10 gigs per month. What ever happened to full disclosure? Further more that I had to buy more at $10 a pop. Total sham! I went this route because my cable service provider was raising the rates on my 15 down speed internet and wanted to save some money. HAHA right. I got hooked into this for the next two year unless I want to spend a chunk of money to get out. Also, who wants to stay up until after 12 midnight (it is actually 12:45 am before I get the "Freezone") to watch a Youtube video. I guess I should have stayed with what I had and paid the extra $20 a month for cable (Unmetered) internet. Now the kids are pissed and worst of all Momma is pissed! No online entertainment for them. As far as the Directv the feature we liked the most was the VOD movies and tv shows. With Excede you can forget that program. That's one of the things that burned through the megs the first day. To keep the peace in the family I may just have to bite the bullet and come up with the $$$$ to get out of this. Now this may be great for a single person who lives on top of a mountain with only one road in and out and just beyond two cans and a string I give you that. But in populated areas where technology is growing faster than weeds on steroids come on now! All I want is my old life back as the saying goes. Don't let someone who works on commission direct (no pun intended) you unless you have researched it out COMPLETELY!
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV

My Sister made the mistake also.

My Sister got Exceed, and about the only good things I can say about it is that it's faster than her old dial-up connection and it doesn't tie up her phone line. However, due to the low data cap, about the only thing she can use it for is checking her email, which is about all her dial-up could do.

I have come up with a new nickname for Exceed, fast dial-up. Her emails load faster, that's it.