exede by ViaSat page on DSLReports

Review by dcsmith2000 See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Henry,KY
Good "Great Service!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

The package that I have from Exede is 10GB for $59 with the taxes and other charges it comes out to $60.58 a month, the advertised price for the service was $59, the speed that I was told I would receive was 12mbps download and 3mbps upload. As I live in a rural area of KY this is extremely faster that dial up or even using a USB modem from Sprint or Verizon which I have tried both in the past with terrible luck. When it came to the install of service I contacted a couple of installers in my area and went with the one that had done the most installs and had been doing it for the longest, process was smooth, I was up and running within and hour and a half. As I feel this is the most important part of any service I spent time and did research on the installer. The modem is the standard modem that comes with the service (Surfbeam 2) and I have a Asus RT-N56U wireless router which works great. I have had the service for almost two years now and only had to call customer service once. I spoke to a very nice lady in Texas who resolved my problem in less than 5 min. I was very skeptical at first about the service but my wife and I both believe this is the best service. I am currently getting speeds of 19mbps down and 2.87mpbs upload. Of course if you have cable or dls in your area I don't know why you would even look at satellite internet service. We are so pleased with our service we are thinking of switching to Exede Voice and get rid of our current phone provider. As far as the complaints on this site about the terrible service I can only guess that the install was not done very well. This is a great service for people in rural areas!! I know that I only joined this site this week and the only reason I did join was to give this review of Exede as I saw a lot of negative reviews. I have been reading post on this site for several years and I find it is a good place to learn about all aspects of the internet.

Comments:
hoyt

join:2014-08-20
Marshall, NC

Another happy user

I am nearby, in western NC, and want to reinforce this positive review. I have had Viasat for a year or more, $60 a month, and have nothing but praise. I made a couple of trouble calls and they were answered quickly and correctly and I was back in business right away. I suppose if you get a bad tech you should try again in a bit.

Terri Luksha

@184.63.125.x

this is the WORST, LOW INTEGRITY Company I have EVER dealt with!

We got viasat by Excede when we moved to our new home, before it was even installed they took $200 out of our bank account. When I called to ask what that was for (and why didn't I get a warning) I was told there were three different options for paying for my equipment and they just put us down for the $200 fee up front. Next, the installer came to our home, that same day, Excede took the monthly payment out of our bank account and then sent us the bill (thanks for the heads up??). After that I called and instructed them they were no longer permitted to take money out of my account, I would call and make the payment, this happened just like clockwork for two months, the third month Excede took another monthly payment out of our bank account without instruction to do so. I called in to explain what had happened and was told "don't worry there is no bank account associated with your account now." I asked how do I trust that and furthermore I am getting ready to close that account, next month it will be closed, the bank will reopen the account if you try to take money and will charge me bounced check fees. I was told by the customer service representative then that there is really nothing I can do about it because I signed a contract with them, they can take money out of my account whenever they feel like it--I was appalled!
Be careful, if you are considering doing business with this company they are a predator!

Review by hoyt See Profile

• Location: Marshall,Madison,NC
Good "everything"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "excellent reliability and customer service"
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had this service and its Wild Blue predecessor for several years. Almost no outages; several calls to tech support answered quickly and correctly. Very happy. Cost $50 a month.

Comments:

Unhappy

@70.211.64.x

Not happy with this company at all

There were no other options for me when I moved into my new home and I was happy to get any internet service as I work from home. After a year of service I wanted to move my service to another building on the property. I was told there is no moving, I would need to set up a new account. So I did. Upon the two year contract expiring, I called to cancel the original contract, they told me that I should have just moved the service. Not to mention I was on hold for 25 minutes. Then during the transfer to technical support I was disconnected. The call back took 18 minutes to answer. When the new customer service rep took over she knew nothing of why I wanted to cancel, there were no notes in the account. 36 minutes later she was going to transfer me to technical support, and again I was disconnected. So know I am on call #3, this gentleman has cancelled the first service. And set up a tech visit that will cost me $95 to transfer back to the original building. Oh yeah I also have to climb up to the sattalite dish on the roof of my landlord to grab something off the dish to send back to them or I get charged up to $300. What a joke. And that last call took over 38 minutes to complete. I will never do business with this company again. Horrible customer service!!!!

Review by Sjames See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Great connection. Great free access 2.2mb/s at 25 GB"
Bad "latency sucks"
Overall "Great if you have no alternative or your locol telco is a bunch of redneck arses"
Mail,DNS,News:

This is the best internet I have had. I just got done downloading 25 gigabytes and 2.3mbit/s on the free time.

I download major game content and movies and big files during the free access. I play my video games on my iPhone 5s hotspot. I would have went with just using my cell phone for internet but it is limited just like satellite but no free access time. For the same price of the 10 GB satellite I could have got 14 more GB on my phone for a total of 18 but that game download would not even have completed!

My cell gets an average of 40mb/s and a ping of 35. Great for gaming!

I live in rural MO at zip 64863. The middle of nowhere in a town of less than a thousand. The nearest town over 10k is 40 miles away.

I ditched my crappy redneck DSL and I am impressed. They want $25 for line access and $65 for for up to 10mbps dsl that usually does not reach over 4mbps. + tax and surcharges

Latency is the only issue. I knew this going in and it is no problem!

All the negative reviews I have seen are made by what I call sheeple. They wait around on their collective arses waiting for hand outs baaing.

Take some time and do some research. Figure out how much data you need. Exede operators are not techs. Take 1 minute even and do some research!

Thank you EXEDE!

can be contacted at larueman10@gmail.com

Comments:

nev

@216.164.164.x

Horrible Service and Customer Service!

My wife and I had Exede for less than a month. I was talked into it by Direct TV. I was never told that there was a data limit. I was never told that the speeds would be affected by a VPN. I started calling Customer service in the first couple days about the slow speeds. After roughly 6 phone calls and much lost work due to the fact that my wife works from home. I contacted Exede via video chat and was promised by Ernest W., a rep that my issues would be addressed and that I would be contacted shortly with a resolution. Needless to say I was never contacted.

Now we come to today, exactly 20 days since the installation and beginning of the contract. My wife attempted to work from home and we had no internet due to exceding our Data Limit! I called Direct TV about the issue and was told to call EXEDE. My wife had already called Exede and was told that there was nothing that could be done about the speed of the service but we could pay for more data. Why would I pay for data if the speed would not be sufficient for my wife to perform her job remotely? She was informed that if we cancelled the service the fee for cancellation would be $15 per month for 24 months! we have been complaining from day1!

I called and was told that a supervisor approved a discount on termination of $7.50 for 24 months! Unbelievable! But it gets better, the representative Glen informed me that I must return the Router and (Get This!) The eye of the dish! Which is mounted on my Roof! What if I was 90 yrs old? I would have to pay for shitty service plus pay to get a shitty dish off of my roof!

Buyer Beware do NOT use Exede!

AirForceVet

@159.142.159.x

Re: Horrible Service and Customer Service!

Same here. I had service installed and within 12 hours later I received an email stating I had exceeded 75% of my Data Cap!!! I immediately called to cancel the service but was told I would have to pay $360 ($15 x's 24 months) to cancel the service I had not even had for 24 hours!!!!! This is a rip off. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau to complain. I suggest all other dissatisfied users do the same. Consumers should be allowed a grace period to determine if the service is a right fet for them before being charged penalties to cancel. This is America.

Kley

@66.148.252.x

Re: Horrible Service and Customer Service!

Did you contact BBB? I tried to do a search on their website to see if they had open cases against Exede and there was nothing. Only an old company from MN that is no longer in business

via sat suck

@70.197.93.x

bad

They never told me there was a data limit I was doing online school and like to watch Netflix but due to data limits I didnt get to enjoy my internet they have free internet from midnight til 5am but im not up at those times and im not staying up all night just to use internet. I thought I was getting internet I could rely on but not reliable. D irectv talked me into getting them and via sat said if I pay 65 bucks roughly I can get 156th of data but that didnt last for my online classes and everything. The next package was 129 thats a ripoff. Dont get via sat I cancelled they charged me more than they were supposed to. So frustrated

ATF

@12.216.78.x

Don't believe any of the reviews on satellite, including Excede

Terrible from day 1. Exceeded the monthly data limit in 2 days! OK - I realize we were spoiled with cable internet - but really...this is the only option. The speed sucks, latency is a HUGE problem for almost everything you actually do with internet. I was told - you cant SKYPE, watch movies, no VPS, can't download anything, can't game, use any video..oh by the way and no microcells - which require a wireless connection - latency issues.

If you only send text e-mails - no attachments - infrequently and you have no other options then maybe. Don't believe any of the comments about speed vs DSL. I had a DSL connection in the woods of PA and had full video feeds over the internet with no problems - video skyped, worked on VPN's, used IP phone all together with no issues. This is a SCAM - don't fall for it.

Susan

@70.20.45.x

Free at last! Free at last! I dumped Exede!

I will honestly say I had satellite internet for years and years. I started out with Hughes net whom had too many outages and weather related problems. I went with Wild blue after being convinced they were much better. My kids hated the fact we couldn't do anything with the internet due to data usage issues. Most of the time it was better than dial up which was my only other option where I live. I was with Wild blue for over three years then received the offer to upgrade for free to Exede being told it was MUCH better and FASTER. I was told I could watch so many movies and listen to so much music with each different plan. Not true. Every little thing you do uses data. Even your email. I found that email is a nasty culprit in data usage. I blocked the images and graphics in my email which helped me last through the month most of the time but it didn't solve the main problems. Weather related issues were still a problem. I paid $90 a month for my internet and still ran out of data. I seemed like an insult to have to "buy" each additional gig of data for $9.99 when I was already paying a high price for access. They claim the cap data to allow other's to use the limited amount of bandwidth but money talks I guess.

Recently I found out Fairpoint offered 7M internet in my area. Yay!!! Now for $30.00 per month I enjoy unlimited data and more reliable service than I ever had with Satellite. Here is my beef with Excede. When I called to cancel I was 6 months away from the end of my 2-year contract. Well okay I was aware of that. I was one week into my paid-in-advance service. I called customer service and explained to them I had a more affordable option and would like to cancel my service but I just started a new month. The agent told me I would get a refund of the unused service toward my cancellation fees of $15 a month.....$75 basically. I told him ok. That was fair. I called back a couple of days later because I never received an email I was told I would get. The 2nd rep knew nothing about my refund and in fact told me I forfeited what I paid...and threw in "It was stated in your contract". Oh really? My service was cancelled immediately under the guise I would be credited the unused portion! Where is it LEGAL to take something away that was purchased? If that was the case my service and email access should have remained active until the end of my billing cycle but it was not. Then I was told I'd be charged the cancellation fee for the current month as well! WAIT A MINUTE! I PAID for this month. How can you charge me the $15 for the current PAID month????!!!! Then he says...OH I am authorized to offer you a $10 discount per month for the next year if you stay....Well BITE ME! I am saving $60 per month by dumping you guys. I am not impressed! Should I ever need satellite access again I will choose someone else!

Bottom line....we all know satellite is not reliable but when we have no option that's all we can get. When you have an option? Go with whatever else is available. Personally I think the practices I just dealt with are illegal and I am waiting for the "class action" lawsuit to get on board. They owe me money. What a bunch of jerks. Stay away from Wild Blue and Exede. They are thieves!

excede sucks

@75.109.186.x

excede

Terrible customer service. I moved and was told I had one free move for the satellite. Needless to say when I asked to move the satellite I was told I had to renew my contract. This was after two months of calling to have it moved and given the lame excuse of them not having access to see my account. This entire time I'm being charged every month and not being able to use my services. I sent back all my equipment per the companies request and am now being charged early termination fees and still no satellite internet at my New residence. Will never use them again.

Review by TechGuy007 See Profile

• Location: Rancho Cucamonga,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Speed, Installation"
Bad "Latency"
Overall "Great service in rural areas or to use as a back up in case land based ISP suffers a failure."
(ratings well above consensus)

Exede has come through on advertised service. Regularly see speeds greater than the advertised of 12mbps. Most commonly near 20 mbps. Obtained this service at a business location to use as a back up to current business class cable service as once we relied heavily on cable service and it went offline and we lost phone service and the ability to operate POS transactions. We learned our lesson the hard way in not having a fall back option for internet connectivity. The installation was really smooth and the technician installed the service in about 2 hours. One thing I would like to mention is that we have 1 Nextiva Polycom IP phone connected to this service 24/7 and have not reached the 10GB in any 30 day rolling period and I use that IP line regularly.I have not experienced any sound quality problems or dropped calls as I understand the concern with IP service over satellite connections. There is just a few seconds of delay when placing calls and receiving. From my timing it connects within 10 seconds. I will agree with other reviewers that this service is for browsing the internet and checking emails and not really made for multi media applications which consume a lot of data. It fits our needs well and is even faster than the 10x1 business class cable service we have. I have had to call customer service once and it was a billing issue and that was to update an expired credit card and had a flawless experience. The late night free zone is a good thing as I at times will switch networks and schedule batch uploading of files due to the higher uploading speed. I would recommend this service for low to moderate users who have no other faster ISP choices or a business investment for a fall back option.

Comments:
ExedeCrystal

join:2014-02-19

Great Service....

I'm glad to see that you have had a positive experience. Well done successfully utilizing the internet as a back up option for your business. I hope you continue to enjoy your service and thanks for being an Exede customer. Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark Ramirez

@166.205.68.x

stay away!

Good afternoon,
I recently signed up for exede at the end of February. I had an incident where I reached by data limit and called to ask to speak to someone, the guy I spoke to told me he would add 3 gigs for free, when I opened my statement I was charged $30 for the gigs instead! Those extra $30 that were added, made me overdraft, I would've had enough had the guy not charged me instead of credit me like he said he would. So I had 2 transactions and each one was 35, so $70 in overdraft charges. I called exede and they told me to fax over the bank statement and they would fax it to corporate and I did. I called back and the lady told me that my credit was approved and I would see it on my next bill ( may) I open my bill and I see that I don't have a credit, weird. I call exede and someone else tells me, my credit is rejected. No one's seems to have a straight answer every time I call. Mind you that this is only my 3 month!! I feel very disappointed with the service and am very upset.

Hooy

@64.90.220.x

I have been trying to figure out for a while!

I have been trying to figure out if my family should switch to Exede internet from air advantage. We constantly have slow issues, as low as 2 kbps sometimes, and we have tried multiple updated new routers. We probably have 8-12 devices connected everyday, though it only always bogs down when its from 4-10 pm probably because so many people have the same provider! I really do not like the idea of having limited internet though, but it almost feels like with "unlimited" air advantage service you are limited, because of how slow it gets at night. This makes the internet unusable for large files and heavy things that my family always tends to do. I like the idea of the late midnight free zone, but I am still not sure about the low data cap and no warranty. This is really a tough mind buster, and since air advantage is a rare provider no one ever compares the two.

Review by IowaMudRider See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Lee,IA
Good " UP TO 12Mbps 50 bucks a month Late night free zone"
Bad "Installers were subpar 10gb cap could be bad if its your only connection"
Overall "Its worth it definitely better then HN "

·Millenicom
·WildBlue
Compared to my old Wildblue legacy setup, this is like a Ferrari it works well in conjunction with my other verizon 4G LTE connection Through Millenicom, i use Exede for downloading of bulk files or Steam games at night, and casual surfing during the day. installation was a little rocky, it took quite a bit of talking to their Excellent tech support and some visits from the installers to get the thing working decently....

The speeds are UP TO 12Mbps and for me that UP TO is just that up to... however the speeds are always between 7-12mbps on average so its PLENTY fast for anything your gonna do, and ALOT of exede users sometimes see much more then 12mbps,as much as 20Mbps so take that for what you will.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3278511029.png, an average speed test for me.....

There's not much to say, it just works, and it works well, this thing actually stays connected better then my dish network TV During Severe Storms, Exede is probably your best rural option thanks to the LNFZ ATM if you Don't need Low ping times...

TL;DR i'd suggest you Get this instead of Hughesnet GEN 4.....

Comments:
Exede Josh

join:2013-11-11
United State

Thanks for the feedback. If the speeds become a concern, please don't hesitate to let us know. I'm happy to hear that tech support was able to resolve your concerns during the installation process. Again, from one Iowan to another, thank you.

erika2976

@rr.com

Exede is the worst company ever!

To the CEO of this internet company I do not know why you are allowing this to happen but I promise you that I will make it my life`s mission to network how HORRIBILE your company really is!!!!!!!

I would like to share my HORRIBLE story with this company! I implore EVERYONE who was thinking about going with this company or anyone that uses this company to reconsider!
This company NEVER disclosed to me that I was in a contract, they assured me that my family and I would have enough data to stream Netflix, Pandora and Internet gaming. My install with this company was on February 6, 2014 between 8:00 am to; 12:00 pm. The install guy was her at my house at 9:00 am and he worked on installing the internet until 11:30 am. He told me that there was a $50.00 charge for a pole in the middle of my front yard because he could not put the BIG satellite dish on my house. I said that was never disclosed to me! I paid the money. He tells me that my internet is up and running and I am good to go. February 6th was on Thursday my kids were in school they did not start using the internet until 6:00 pm and were only on it until 8:00 pm. I was streaming Netflix at the same time. Friday comes and my kids are back in school my youngest son was watching his on demand TV all morning (which they consider my on demand streaming internet). About 1:00 pm on Friday (the very next day after we were installed) I went to watch my Netflix and it would not turn on. It kept giving me and error code! My daughter says to me that the internet was running super slow. I looked and it was taking almost ten minutes to load up the different pages. This is when I called them back to find out what was going on.
The lady who I spoke to says to me Well, the problem is that you used all your data for the whole month. I told her that was impossible because we just got installed as of yesterday and we really did not get a chance to use anything. She said that we had already used 12 MB of data and we are only allowed 10 MB of data a month. I then said to her that the first person that I spoke to told me that I was allowed about 13 hours of data a day. She said well I do not know what to tell you this is what I am seeing on my end. I said I need you to understand then what a problem this is going to be for me and my family because if in one day we used 12 MB of data and we were hardly on the internet or Netflix then we are going to be running into this problem every day. She said Would you like to cancel? I said I am going to have no choice because it is not enough for me and my family. She said that is fine you will have to pay an early termination fee of $345.00 because you are now in a contract with us for the next two years. I said that no I am in a contract with Direct TV not with you. She said that they have their own contract that started the day of install. She said all of this was disclosed to you in the e-mail that we sent you. I said to her I never got an e-mail from your company. She read my back the e-mail address that she had on file and it was spelled wrong! I said to her that the first lady who I spoke to I had to read over my e-mail address with her 8 times before she got it right and now you are telling me that she STILL got it wrong. She said well sorry there is nothing that we can do if you want to cancel then you need to pay the ETF! I told her to give me a manager. The manger Sherri gets on the phone and she just kept saying the same thing over and over again. Sorry there is nothing that I can do about the ETF you have to pay it or remain in your contract for the next two years. I told her how am I going to do that when my family and I have used up all of our data for the month in a matter of a DAY! She said I can gift you more data if that would make you happy. I said can you gift me unlimited usage? She said no. I said can you gift me free data every month? She said no. I said what is your highest data plan? She said for $99.00 a month I can get 15 MB for the month. I told her that is still not going to be enough since again me and my family used 12 MB in a matter of a day. She then went back to saying you can cancel but you will have to pay an ETF. I told her cancel my account. I then asked her how am I going to pay this ETF? She said it will be on your next billing cycle. Fine, I told her, than I can make payments on it. She said YES! She canceled my internet service that Friday afternoon. Sunday morning my mother checked her account and they took the $345 ETF out of her account! This was NOT what she said she was going to do!
This company is the worst company that I have ever dealt with! The NEVER disclosed the contract, they insisted that we would have enough data, and then the manager told me that she was going to bill me the ETF and she took it from the account that I had to give them to start the service! SOMETHING needs to be done!

helpfulguy

@charter.com

Erika-

I know this is probably a frustrating experience for you so i'm going to offer you some insight as a completely non bias source- I run a dealership that handles satellite products like directv, dish, exede etc...

What i would suggest you do first is try to put aside your discernment for Exede for a few minutes. You are definitely angry with them however you need to possibly consider that it is not entierely Exedes fault that you are in this position.

There are MANY sources of products like this- you can buy it from a local dealer, you can buy it from websites, there are a lot of 3rd party companies that only sell the product and then shift you off to Exede for the installation. If you bought your exede service from a local dealer- they likely are close by to you and advertised to get you to call them so they could help you. They also likely sent their tech out to do the install.. Because there is a vast network of people involved with all telecoms and cable/satellite companies- who you work with is absolutely key to having an appropriate expectation of a product before you purchase it.

Satellite internet has always had 2 year contracts, it has always had data caps. This has been the case ever since the early days when Exede was called "wild blue" and hughes net still had legacy services. This is something that has been known in the consumer world for a long long time. You may have been better suited to do a little more product research before jumping on board with it. There is definitely a line that has been crossed by somebody that works with the Exede products.

I have feeling that because Directv, Dish, Exede, Hughes etc. take a large amount of seriousness to disclosing these things to their customers - you likely did not get it directly from them. Just because someone has an Exede logo at their store,kiosk, van etc doesn't mean they are employed by Exede. The customer service reps you are working with want to do everything in their power to help you but unfortunately that does not mean they can eliminate an ETF or give you more data to use. Everyone is treated fairly with the same AUP (acceptable use policy) The communication from them as a corporation is structed the same every time and they rely on information provided to them by their 3rd parties. If the information is wrong, it obviously will not reach you.

My recommendation would be for you to look backwards a bit and try to find out who or where you purchased this product from. If you worked with a dealer, start there. Do not waste time with Exede customer service as they cannot ascertain or ensure whether or whether not you were told the correct disclosures before buying the product. If you can figure out who you bought it from- you may be able to go back there and actually get some satisfaction for your situation. If you are using Exede and there are no other options for internet in your area- you should definitely brace yourself for the fact that technology still doesn't allow un restricted data access to all parts of the country. America is big... cable and dsl companies often times will not install infrastructure in all areas because population density is too low for them to make a return on their investment in the way of customers- so you may likely never see another option but satellite.

At any rate- i don't work for any of these companies- i run a local dealership and at our business we strive to make sure people know all details of the products before they buy them.. definitely sounds like someone didn't award you this convenience.

Hopefully you get somewhere - I hope this information finds you and is helpful.. Best of luck.

lcombs46

@newwavecomm.net
Man, it pays to do your homework. I was ready to hook up with Excede tomorrow. I have never seen any product or service with this many disgusted people. I am so thankful for this site. I am just so sorry so many of the reviews have been screwed so bad by these people. I dodged that bullet. Whew!

upset

@184.63.221.x
Not impressed. Had 2 weeks, already had technician back. called customer service the first girl I had very rude didn't know what she was talking about I don't think.2 weeks and we're over our data usage tried to call today of course no one to take my call. If i had known all this going in I would not have chose. I tried to cancel told me it would be over $300 for a cancellation fee. Stuck for 2 years

Heather0712

@172.242.206.x
My husband and I received Exede on 02-14-14. I was at work during the installation and my husband was home. My husband calls me at work to tell me the technician was very rude towards him, he made my husband dig the hole for the satellite and told us that we were going have to buy our own wireless router (which by the way nobody told me I
was going have to do that) also my husband thought it was strange how quickly the technician walked out the door. We are renting a property and we had to get the techs to sign a paper to stating we have a satellite. Also my husband thought it was weird that he DID NOT sign ANYTHING! Well after that we like the internet speed it was OK not great but we could have lived with it. Well on 02-26-14 my husband comes him and the internet is at working, he calls and they have him a hard time and said we missed the months payment we had only had the service for 2 weeks? Well anyways they take the payment out of my card as 58.82 which that what it's supposed to be. Well on 02-28-14 I ran across this website and your review stood out to me erika2976. So I went to check my account and exede took an additional 7$ out!! Why? I have no clue because my problems with them were much more worse than and extra 7$! So I go on my account and see that we had an allowance! (Nobody explained that to me) our allowances was 10GB and we had already used 6.8 in a week!! My blood was boiling!!! I've never been so mad in my life! Let me note that I am a full time core student with assignments I have to do online and my husband plays xbox live. I call them and I get a customer service rep and I've never yelled or cursed at some one so much! And told me that they were sorry that I was misinformed and I had to pay an early transmissions fee of 360.00$! I told her I want to speak to her supervisor and she have me an adittude. And the supervisor was worse she was just a plain out bitch! After getting trough with her I told her I wasn't giving them Andy money and she threaten me with collections! I hung up on her I told my husband and he called them and note he didn't sign anything when they installed the satellite. They told him that there was and online contract and that we can go look at it ourselves on our account so I tried to do that and I called them again and told the lady and she said that we do t have access to the online contract. But my husband did sign and E-signature. And I told her that I want a copy emailed to me so I can physically see the signature myself! I went all the way to corporate (headquarters) and told them I want a copy of the agreement we supposedly signed. They said they are mailing it to me ( my husband thinks that is a lie but we will see). This company is garbage and I will make it my mission that our Story gets out there as well and I'm going to the Better Business Breau to file a complaint. I've never dealt with such unprofessional, shady, crooked, rude people ever in my life and I'm going to make damn sure everybody i know knows this company is a piece of shit!
exedekatina

join:2014-02-25
Rockford, IL

Re: Exede is the worst company ever!

Wow Heather0712 I really do apologize how poorly you have been treated. Would like to go over the data information with you as well as why you recieved the $7 extra on your bill. Please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com. Thank you

ExedeKatina
LakeCntrySat

join:2014-02-13
My name is David Varner from Lake Country Satellite in Clarksville, VA, we are a rural Elite Dealer with Exede. I agree with the other comment left by the helpfulguy. Your beef is not with Exede, it is with whoever sold you the product. Exede is a really great product. We have well over 500 happy customers who refer their friends and neighbors all the time.

I noticed you have a rr.com email. If you switched from cable to Exede, I can see why you are upset. You were used to unlimited data. And what you described as your normal usage will eat up data very quickly.

The Exede internet service is designed for folks that can not get fast cable or dsl. If you have Fios, Cable, or DSL that is fast, then our service is not for you, unless you are a moderate user. If you are a heavy video or audio streamer during peak hours, then we are not the service for you.

Unfortunately, if you do not call a LOCAL Exede Dealer that really knows their product, then things like this happen. I would suggest sending an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and they can try and help you. If you can do go back and find the original number that you called to place your order and supply that to them.

David R Varner
Lake Country Satellite
Exede Elite Dealer
Exede Dealer Advisory Council Member
david@lakecountrysat.com

sick of scam

@172.242.159.x

Re: Exede is the worst company ever!

While possibly dealers commenting are trying to be as honest as possible, an earlier post stating caps have always been placed on bandwidth of satellite is untrue. i was with wildblue many years and put up with same lousy service eXede provides now.When exede finally was offered and i joined I was told they were not using timers to cut off usage to customers. It wasn't until the past 6 months they have started playing the time game. fortunately i am way past the 2 year time restraint and can cancel anytime. i may switch to hughes just to give them a chance to be better. EXEDE operators will tell you anything making you think it is goiing to be better.It doesnt happen
exedekatina

join:2014-02-25
Rockford, IL

Re: Exede is the worst company ever!

I apologize that you feel that way about the service but I am here to help you. If you have any questions in regards to your account please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com.

ExedeKatina

join:2014-02-19
Hi Erika,
I'm sorry you've had a poor experience but if there is anything we can do for you please let me know. You can send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you. I would love to help resolve your issues. Sincerely, ExedeCrystal.

Terrible

@miraclemountin.com

Re: Thank you

Your company is a joke! How you sleep at night knowing you are ripping people off is beyond me. Don't bother with you unapologetic attempt to fix my issues. You are just as ignorant as the so called customer service reps on the phone. I pray everyone seeking your internet service reads the endless terrible reviews of your company and runs. What a scam!

Review by GI24 See Profile

• Location: Cape Vincent,Jefferson,NY
Good "I get consistent 12 Mbits down and 3 Mbits up."
Bad "Even a moderate rain will reduce speeds and block signal."
Overall "Works as advertised given satellite transmit/receive limitations."
(ratings well above consensus)

Replaced the three year old HughesNet 9000 satellite for the Exede 12 system for the same monthly cost of $80 with 15GB allowance. Every call to ViaSat (sales/support) you get a US based agent that speaks understandable english. Every step in the ordering and installation process ViaSat warned me of limitations for online gaming and the monthly data limit. The onsite technician was first rate. He took his time aligning the dish. I could hear the alignment tone change by a half a turn of the alignment bolts. Speeds have been as promised, generally in the 12 Mbits down and 3 Mbits up. HughesNet Gen4 was not available in this area. No DSL/cable in area, intermittent 3G/4G cell signals. Good thing Exede works so well, no other real options.

I did have start-up issues that have now been fixed. I had "can not display page" errors, clicking on Fix problem yielded none. As with the HughesNet system I changed my PC DNS servers to Google, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4., problem solved. However, in the morning I was disconnected from the internet, the Exede modem was all good (blue lights). To fix this issue I had to restart my Dlink DIR655 router. After some trial and error I discovered that if I unchecked the option Advanced DNS Service in the DIR655 internet setup, works consistently now every day.

I do miss the HughsNet usage meter that ran on the PC. To find out my current monthly usage status I have to log into my wildblue account. I also miss the ability to see the modem status page that shows the transmit and receive signal strengths. Useful to catch a shift in the dish alignment.

I had no surprises with what ViaSat said they would charge me a month and installation charges.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Newer Router?

That wireless router is pretty old so you may also want to upgrade to a better one such as a recent model from Cisco like the WRT160N. They are usually pretty cheap at Goodwill. They are better at streaming video than D-Link or Netgear models in case you want to watch some internet TV or video podcasts without having it stop and start and stutter a lot.

Exede Zac

join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA

Congrats!

Hi GI24,

I am very happy to hear about your satisfaction with the Exede Internet! We are very lucky to have a customer such as yourself. We do care about the satisfaction of our customers and want to ensure we provide all information needed that you should be aware of when ordering our product. Exede Internet is a great choice for High Speed Internet and we are happy that you chose us! Please, if any questions or concerns come about, email me at exedelistens@viasat.com and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Exede Zac
Exede Internet Social Media Escalations

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "Speeds well above advertised speeds, late night unlimited data and American tech support"
Bad "Latency, price and low caps."
Overall "It works like it is suppose and the one time I had to call for an improper instalation it was fixed in 2 days so it is great for"

·McDonald County ..
To begin with the installer that showed up had to install my system in a pouring rain in temperatures just above freezing and understandably he was in a hurry and got the dish out of alignment by a hair and thus we had speed problems for the first week. I don't believe this was intentional as the guy also offered to crawl under our house and fix a water line that blew into while he was here. at any rate after a week of low speeds I called tech support and unlike any of the times I called HN tech support in the ten years I was with then, I got a person that spoke English and they immediately sent out a tech two days later to tweak my dish and since that time I get well above my advertised speeds of 12/3. I see 16 to 20 Mb/s down and between 2 and 3 Mb/s up at all times of the day. The latency stays in the 600 to 800ms range and my cap is low at 15GB per month but I knew that coming into this service. Web pages of course load just a bit slower than my old DSL but that is just the natural latency of satellite. All in all we are quite happy with this service for what it is and we would and have recommended it to other people we know that have no other alternative.

member for 7.6 years, 1196 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by marshallman See Profile

• Location: Marshall,Fauquier,VA
Good "So far, flawless"
(ratings well above consensus)

We recently moved to a more rural area - we're just outside Verizon - with very few options for Internet. We had Exede installed a few days ago. Installation was fine. I have a very tall house and steep roof. The installer worked extra hard to make this work for us. I plugged the router into the modem and within a minute I'm in the Internet. I'm very happy so far. Speeds are great. It's not FIOS but this is perfectly fine for my needs Much faster than I'd expected. I'm going to tether off my iPhone for some of my web use to keep usage under the cap. People complain about the price but hey everyone, if you had FIOS as an option you'd be paying twice what Exede charges.

Comments:

Review by e3jr88 See Profile

• Location: Fulton,Callaway,MO
Good "Very fast downloads"
Bad "Data cap"
Overall "The best I can get where I live and it hasn't disappointed"
(ratings well above consensus)

So I had HughesNet for about 5 years and while it was decent, I was never impressed with it and paid nearly $100 a month for the service. A guy I work with told me had Exede and that he was really happy with it so I decided to give it a try. I've had the service for about 2 weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. The downloads are extremely fast and $60 a month is a big improvement over the $90+ that I way paying. I just downloaded the DirectX SDK which is over 500MB and it took about 4 minutes and to me that is just ridiculously fast. My previous HughesNet connection would have taken at least twice that long and probably more like 20 minutes. I am very happy with this service and recommend it highly.

Comments:

Review by VictorJ See Profile

• Location: Lexa,Phillips,AR
Good "I'm getting High Speed Net, which is better than what I previously Had...Nothing for 3 Years, and Dial-Up for about 20"
Bad "The Monthly Price Sucks, But Not Bad All Things Considered"
Overall "Exede Is Great For What It's Worth, Speeds Are Consistent, But Haven't Quite Reached Advertised Speeds Yet."
(ratings well above consensus)

I officially ordered Exede on 2/21/13, and the installer came around 9ish AM 2/26/13. I didn't think it would take very long to install the dish considering my past experiences dealing with satellite installers (I live in a rural area. which means no cable, and almost satellite everything), but it ended up taking about an hour or two, because the installer left around 11. was hoping for an afternoon appointment, but whatever decided on skipping class to wait on the guy just in case he came in the morning, which he did.

Installation: The installation went great, and I was connected in less than 30 minutes after the satellite was completely installed (installer said it would most likely be an hour before I could connect, guess it depends on your area and how it takes for the beam to hit your dish, weather, etc, and it was actually sprinkling that day as well), there was some issue where he wasn't given my temp user name, but that's ok it took a mere phone call to set it up (which was more of a pain than not having temp user name already).

Installer: He was a really cool guy, he told me the ins and outs of the service (though I had already did my own research), he talked a bit about the wifi set up though I didn't have a router at the time or now for that matter, but I did mention ordering one. He took notice of my Xbox 360 and PS3 and stated that it may not be so great for online gaming. He was really kind and courteous.

Service: So far so good, on the first day or so I got as high as 8.5 mps, but I've been averaging around 2-3.8 mps down and 1.73 up since then according to speedtest,net, but there's a strange glitch that occurs in the late night hours on speedtest that states I'm getting 19-25 mps with 14-17 ping, which I know is just not true for satellite, mind you this glitch only occurs at night sometimes, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Account Management: Log in is great, but it's a bit ironic that every website but the Exede one loads seamlessly, there's been a weird glitch with the usage meter page, but it may be on their end than mine, it sometimes states that it can't be read or something along those lines, and when it does, it's acted like I haven't used any gigs, it still states I have the full 10, but it's done this since my first month bill became available, I don't know if the two are related considering I paid about 95% of the bill already. Weird glitch, but not a problem. There's also an issue (or was one anyways) with logging in to the wildblue.com site for account management, for awhile it stated that my user name was not found, so far it's letting me log in, but it may occur again. Still, another weird glitch, but again not an issue.

Video Buffering: As expected streamed videos load like a charm, I've yet to have an issue with this, so I don't think I need to go into much details here.

File Download: This is the part that had my jaw dropping. I downloaded a 2 gig file, at a speed in between my average (2.5 mps), it took a mere 15 minutes to complete. I had never seen this before (which leads me to believe that Firefox wasn't able to detect the actually speed), because my dad has Suddenlink, and he gets about 3 mps full down speed, while on PSN 2 gigs takes about an hour and a half at his house.

Online Gaming: The general consensus is that satellite is pretty much useless for online gaming, but it's quite possible, I've seen a video of someone playing Midnight Club LA on Xbox Live with Exede, it may depend on the speed and your router to get things going, but it's very, it may also depend on the game as well. I;m almost certain that most should at least get on PSN considering I ran PSN at fairly decent speed with almost no lag on dial up (again it depends on the game in most cases). When my wifi is eventually set up by next week I'll report back on my attempt(s).

Overall Thoughts: Exede has it's ups and downs like every satellite ISP, but I'm pretty damn happy (so far), I'm paying a monthly bill of $68.87, and only had to pay $50 up front due to their current special which runs through the end of March. I'll finally have some home wifi instead of going 15 minutes to my dad's everyday or so.

UPDATE 3/7/13: Online Gaming: I finally got things to where i could get on PSN & XBL, decided on doing this during LNFZ. I downloaded Spec Ops and the remainder of RE 5 Gold Edition. According to PSN during connection test, I was getting 6.6 down and 356k up. PS store loaded slowly as did XBL, but only by a minute or two. Downloading apps on XBL worked well, but there was some lag issues causing whatever I downloaded to stop at 80% for a few minutes. I haven't played a game online yet, but when I do I'll update again.

UPDATE: 3/18/13: I've had Exede for nearly a month now, and I'm still not having any issues, or at least none that didn't work themselves out. Online gaming works flawlessly, I've been playing Dust 514, WoW, Star Wars The Old Republic, and DC Universe Online (PS3 version). Only had a problem with Dust 514, experienced lag during the first round of a match, afterwards it worked great. will update again when I renew my XBL Gold, and try it out on Dark Souls.

Comments:
Exede Nick

join:2012-10-18
Davenport, IA

Exede Service

Victor, I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your service. If there is ever anything that we can do to assist you, please let us know. A quick email to exedelistens@viasat.com is enough, and we will follow up with any concerns you might have. Thank you for the review and have a great day!

xrs2

@184.20.41.x

Re: Exede Service

I would like more specifics on who this reviewer is. The last sentence reads like a commercial for Exede, and *everyone* who has this service knows that it is unreliable (to put it mildly). Nearly unserviceable is closer to the truth. In fact, even as I type this my internet has slowed to a crawl.

Class action time, Exede, unless you get your act together and start delivering what you promised.

Never thought I'd be nostalgic for Time Warner.

Just dumb

Re: Exede Service

OH MY!!! This is the most transparent review I've ever seen.. for many reasons. Duh. There aren't many people who just review anything unless it's really really bad or really really good. Not just 'eh, it was ok'. This is just sick really. The admins for this site log users, right? You need to log that one and track it because I'm sure the FCC wouldn't like to fine over this kind of fake crap. I would like to make it known that I have experienced the exact opposite of everything this dude said.

Well, I mean, I'd love to say that i could stream anything to complain or rave about. I can't. I can't even fathom a dang movie. That's just funny. Music? Forget it. Youtube? Nope.

I'm happy that you mentioned the website. That's important. They suck. I've never had to log in like 3-4 times back to back on different looking pages just to check my usage balance. That's just ridiculous. AND, the first time it happened, I actually began to think that I was being redirected to a malicious site. The website looks and feels like my 10 year old designed it. No joke. You can launch a satellite, but you can't afford decent IT people? FAIL on too many levels to mention here. Service is a joke. Data just vanishes. I've never used 10 gigs a month ever but do it in 2 weeks here.

DO NOT CHOOSE THIS COMPANY.

Re: Exede Service

I'm being pretty honest with my review. Like i said i dealt with dial-up for most of my life, and nothing for the past 3 years. I'm averaging about 2-3.5 down, so I wouldn't say it's perfect, nor would I begin to act like it is. My wifi router comes today, so I'll update my PSN experience later tonight. But it's been pretty good while playing WoW and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Completely agree about the website design though, i hate sites that use the google web design thing.

join:2013-03-01
I might be getting good speeds due to lack of people using Exede in my area, most people my my road can get regular broadband, which is crap considering the people just up the road from me can get it. I can't even get cable service on my street.
wh7qq

join:2012-06-12
·WildBlue
said by xrs2 :

I have no ties to Exede or WB other than having been a customer since June of '12. I can say unequivocally that it is the best internet service I have experienced ever. Perfect, no. But better than any that have tried to provide to rural Hawaii to date. Due to inherent latency, satellite is always a last resort for the under-served rural areas but most of the time, my service is better than cable providers in my area.

To say that "everyone" has had bad experience with WB/Exede is simply untrue. Some of you have and that is unfortunate but it seems that all Exede providers/spot beams/gateways/?? are not created equal. I sit smack in the middle of the HI beam and the service is fast and dependable. My bandwidth usage charts have been spot on with my router stats. Clearly, your experience may vary.

I would suggest that new users check the WB/Exede forum for info on their location, or better yet, talk to other users in your area. I got my info from a near neighbor before I jumped. That said, tech support is about what you expect...scripted and unresponsive to problems that go beyond the script. Fortunately, I haven't needed them much for some time. It was no different with my prior satellite provider and they lied about bandwidth usage problems like crazy.

xrs2, you are being intemperate and hyperbolic to try to paint all Exede customers as unhappy. How about toning down the rhetoric...we already know you are p***ed off.

Nice

@wildblue.net
Hi Nick...I'm also going to send you my complaints regarding Viasat, EXCEDE, WILDBLUE...whatever you're called now. Thanks,
Someone who wants their money back.

RIDICULOUS

This is a joke

I ordered this service in Jan 2013. We were moving to a rural area and this was all that was available. It was strange even from the beginning because as I spoke to the rep who sold me the service (transferred from DTV as part of a bundle), she couldn't answer my questions about speed or issues with data usage. She said "You'll have to call WildBlue for that." I laughed and was like "What? Why WildBlue?" She told me that she was with Viasat, and that Wildblue was the actual provider. Interesting. I said that I didn't even know that WildBlue was the provider and IF anyone had told me that, I would have just passed on it all together. I've heard nightmares from friends. She said "ohh, well, don't worry. A lot has changed since the new satellite." I didn't even know, or care, about a new satellite. I just wanted to be sure that I would be able to continue with the classes I was taking online and that our family of 4 would still be able to use the internet. We had been using the Verizon MiFi for about 6 months and had the 5GB/month plan. We never went over the 5 gigs and usually ran about 3.

Because of our low usage needs, we signed up for the 10GB/month plan and even the clueless "viasat" salesperson said that we probably wouldn't even notice a difference except that the Viasat internet was "wayyyyy faster than any DSL, Oh MY GOD!!!". So, I was happy with that. Cool.

What a JOKE! Within our first week of setup, we had maxed out our 10GB. 6 DAYS. We thought that maybe someone left "something" connected and that was our excuse. So, I bought an additional gig for 9.99. That was gone in less than 3 hours. I bought a total of 4 additional gigs in the first 3 weeks of service. The ONLY reason that I did was because I thought that maybe my oldest daughter was using the internet to stream videos or music. And, honestly...we SHOULD be able to do that! Most people only use their internet capable devices for that, but we've had hit or miss success. At 3 weeks, I took my child's tablet and laptop away just to make sure. Even when we used the internet during their "free zone" from 1200-0500 AM, it was ridiculously slow. Sometimes slower than during the day. I suspected that this was somehow counting against our data because the only significant usage was during this period. Like, my repeated attempts to connect to my online classes.

The second month started and from that day (the 7th), I made sure to monitor our usage. I had, by now, had to drop 3 online classes due to the inability to log in. I couldn't even get the page to load because it would time out repeatedly. I applied MAC filtering at the wireless router level to deny access by my child's devices. I only allowed 2 laptops. My husband works all day, so he's not using his. I am barely indoors and usage is minimal now that I don't need it for classes. YET, on day 6!!! I logged into the account to look at the bill and it showed that we had used 9.9 GB. I hit the roof and called WildBlue that exact minute.

After a half hour wait, I was connected. I was eventually transferred to a tech person who was supposed to help troubleshoot my issues. I KNEW we hadn't possibly used that much data and had even started unplugging the modem at night in the first month.

This guy began to lecture me on what all the kids do these days... lol...he first tried to make it out to be my teenager downloading music. I told him that I took her access away. He then told me that he's heard "horror" stories from parents who just had no idea that their kids were downloading, uploading, chatting, whatever all day and all night. I laughed and told him that #1, she's in school all day. #2, I run a tight ship. Her butt does nothing without my knowledge. Call me overbearing, but I was a drill instructor as well as an 18 yr old single parent...I've got my reasons. I KNOW she can't access the internet because I've taken her devices away and then just completely disconnected the modem.

He then sort of flustered around until he offered me 2 gigs of data to "test" our modem. This was over an hour long conversation. He had been trying to "one up" me on parenting, my lack of internet usage statistics, data theft, hacking, etc... I'm not an idiot. It was as if he were trying to just throw all possibilities at me and see which one I would buy. Irritating. He only offered me the 2 gigs of data because there has supposedly been some 1 in 25K modems that were defective.

I saw the 2 gigs of data added to the account and our speeds picked up. For like 2 hours. Cool. That's all it lasted with literally checking my bank account and logging into Facebook for 20 minutes. He told me to annotate the usage at night before I unplugged the modem, so that they could be sure of the usage lost. BS. They also claim that usage is 24 hours behind. Pointless. Especially since I couldn't even go 2 hours without wasting it.

I called the next day. On hold for over one hour and I had to go pick up my kid. I called another 4 times but had no luck. Their ass isn't paying me to have the phone attached to my head while my kids are painting the cat with toothpaste or burning the house down, do they?

Tonight, the 6th, I haven't been able to get any pages to load. I've done everything you're supposed to do. I needed to be able to access my email, so purchased an additional gig. I know that's stupid considering my cycle starts tomorrow, but I HAVE to be able to respond to this tonight. Thankfully, I was able to get in and reply.

So, I decided to watch a video of my sister's wedding. I'm in the military and missed my baby sister's big day. I just got a link to a video tonight. Very excited to watch it. It has now been 3 hours and the first 3:20 Youtube clip won't get past the first 5 secs. PISSED. 3 HOURS!!!!!!!! RIP OFF. As I was complaining to my husband, he said he hasn't been able to ever get on Youtube since we had Wildblue. My daughter chimed in and said that she's also had problems.. Her exact words were "it's so slow that I don't even try anymore".

There is NO WAY I used a gig to click on and reply to an email. This is insane and I'm furious. I paid 10 bucks for this data and now I've literally got 2 minutes left and have spent the entire time just trying to freaking get a page to load. Even the wildblue page won't load. Ironic. Irritating. WASTE OF MONEY. Sadly, we don't have any other option here. It's not worth paying for it, having to struggle to use it, the stress of getting angry, paying more money and then trying to wrangle some customer service.

Total waste of money and time.

Re: This is a joke

lol @ the viasat person saying call wildblue. Don't know why she said that, but that was pretty retarded. I called the number on the Exede website and they referred to themselves as "Viasat provider of Wildblue and the "super fast" all new Excede", or something along those lines. Streaming a video is the same as downloading a file, it takes down speed, not many people know that, so that's prob what killed your gig limit so quickly, I've managed to limit myself to videos no longer than 3 mins throughout the day, and longer stuff on the LNFZ, while just doing light browsing during the day, which is something you should consider. I did my research on both Hughes and Exede months before actually signing up.

Re: This is a joke

I have Exede not Wildblue btw, If a mod could move this to the proper forum that'd be helpful.