Vestalink page on DSLReports

Review by hamburglar_ See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Cheap, decent feature set"
Bad "Cannot receive calls from Ooma or Google Voice users"
Overall "Still deciding if it's worth staying"

2/24/15 Update:
I am working with both Ooma and GV to fix the incoming call problems. Ryan has checked from their end and their carrier is not seeing the call attempts at all. I'll update when I get somewhere. A lot of legwork for basic phone calls.

2/23/15 Update:
Ended up porting my number from Google Voice because of audio issues between GV and Vestalink. Now I have people with two different providers that cannot call me at all. Calls from Google Voice and Ooma fail.

Original:

I was hesitant to sign up because of the misleading association with Obi, but the price and feature set were right. Initially they had chat support and responded quickly. The chat was removed and only email support is available. Their page at »status.vestalink.com shows many large latency spikes on the US East server and I've experienced occasional audio delay. Most of the issues with outages are apparently database problems, but they prevent the ATA from registering when it goes down. When it is working, it works great.

Note: I used an Obi for a week or so, but it seems to reboot randomly and I switched to a PAP2.

member for 12.8 years, 4570 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Ryan Tilton

join:2010-09-04
Seattle, WA

Calls are working from our outside test line.

There is a thread going now regarding this issue, hopefully we can get it resolved.

»[General] Vestalink inbound, support no help
VoIP Phone Service from Vestalink - »www.vestalink.com

Review by bitseeker See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Inexpensive, web fax, caller ID white/blacklist, includes 911, register/ring multiple devices on one number"
Bad "Several outages in early 2014, only email support, wiki is outdated (missing new features)"
Overall "Might not be the best, but great bang for the buck; worth a try and keeping an eye on"

Currently branded as "Vestalink". For a time, Intelafone called the service "Obivoice", piggy-backing on Obihai's Obi brand of ATA devices, until Obihai sent them a cease and desist for infringement.

I signed up before the above hubbub. Got the 24-month plan at less than $3/mo for 2000 (incoming + outgoing) minutes per month. It was an excellent deal and the price was time-limited for early adopters. I started out on their free trial where activation was immediate and I was up and calling in a few minutes. Call quality has been good.

I opted to use my own hardware, rather than the ones they supply. As far as I know, they provide Obi ATAs. I've used the service with Obi110 and Obi202 ATAs as well as Polycom and Grandstream IP phones. They all work well as do various softphones I've tried.

Vestalink supports multiple registrations to the same SIP account (i.e., no extensions nor subaccounts needed) and all phones ring simultaneously on incoming calls. Very convenient to set up for home use. For those occasions when you need to move a call to another phone, they support parking a call and picking it up from another phone Google Voice-style (all phones start ringing when the call is parked; just pick it up at another phone). Another Google Voice-like feature that was added is the ability to ring several external phone numbers when an incoming call arrives.

Their customer web portal has a clean design, a few bugs here and there, and provides many call features including visual voicemail, sending and receiving faxes, ring schedules, and caller ID blacklists or whitelists (restrict incoming calls to your online phonebook). Calls that aren't allowed to ring can be blocked, go directly to voicemail or require the caller to press a key. You can also set up notifications when 911 is used, voicemails arrive, or your remaining plan minutes drop below a threshold value.

Although Intelafone has been around for a number of years, this service is relatively new. During the flood of signups when Google Voice was rumored to be dropping XMPP dialing support, Vestalink had several service outages. I didn't directly experience any of them. I haven't heard much regarding reliability issues lately.

Note that although Vestalink offers an "unlimited" plan, it's limited to approximately 5000 minutes (incoming + outgoing) per month. Tripping the abuse machine usually results in automatic conversion to the 2000-minute metered plan, at which point you have to contact support to request reinstatement onto the unlimited plan. Even though the price difference between 2000 minutes and "unlimited" was small, since my usage is normally less than 2000/month, I opted for the metered plan to avoid any hassles.

I've been happy with it after several months of use.

Update 2015-01-09:

Still using the service. I saw that my introductory pricing will be going away after the term expires. In other words, early adopters will not be grandfathered into their original rate. My 2000 minute/mo. plan will bump up from ~$60 for 2 yrs. to ~$130 for 2 yrs. Although that's a significant increase, the new pricing is OK for the number of minutes that are included (~$0.0027/min if you use all 2000).

Update 2015-02-03:

It's approaching the anniversary of many subscribers' accounts. I see that Vestalink has lowered their prices, so it's a good thing you waited, if your renewal date is coming up. For example, the plan I talked about in my previous update was ~$130 for 2 yrs. Right now it's ~$70 for 2 yrs. That's reasonably close to what I originally paid.

Since I still have another year left on my subscription, it'll be interesting to see what the pricing will be in Spring 2016.

member for 359 days, 240 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark

Vestalink (formerly Obivoice)

Thanks for a carefully thought-out and well-organized review!

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

How well does Vestalink's junk call blocking feature work?

How is Vestalink's telemarketing/junk call blocking feature? How does it compare to those of Callcentric and voip.ms that have a "Press 1 (or whatever) to connect..." prompt that stops virtually all robocalls dead in their traacks?

I use Vestalink for outgoing calls and Callcentric for incoming calls to my home number.

I also see that they now have bare-bones plans that have no "advanced software features" (or wording something like that on their website) for 40% less than their full-featured plans. Do these plans have caller ID, voicemail and call waiting which are pretty much standard on just about all cell and VOIP lines nowadays.

bitseeker

join:2014-03-05
·Vestalink

Re: How well does Vestalink's junk call blocking feature work?

I haven't seen a "Press (some number) to connect..." feature. They have a whitelist (haven't tried it), a blacklist (mine is ~100 numbers), and a community-based filter (not sure if it's actually operational, but I have it enabled).

After building my initial blacklist, I rarely get new spammers. When I do get one, there's a "block" link in the call log, which makes it a simple click to grow the blacklist. So, I haven't yet had a need for the interactive telemarketer functionality.

Once a number is on the blacklist, you can have the call go to voicemail or play a system message such as "This number is no longer in service...". There is a default setting for the blacklist overall as well as an override for each number.

So far, I haven't encountered a limit on the size of the blacklist. Some VoIP providers have rather small blacklists (e.g., 50 numbers). Also, you can import/export the list in CSV format.

I haven't dug into the bare-bones plans since I saw them only recently. Going to their home page right now, I don't see the link to it anymore.

Review by twinclouds See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "One of the lowest cost, reliable service, good quality"
Bad "Price has increased since I order but still one of the lowest"
Overall "Good service at low price"

Vestalink used to be called Obivoice. I ordered their 2000 minutes per month when it became available for $60/2 years. It has been working very well for me. I am not a heavy users but want to have reliable service and good voice quality. So far, it meets my expectations.

The ordering process is very straightforward. I used my own device so I didn't get device from them. The installation was very straightforward. Recently, a friend of mine, who has not exposure to VOIP, asked me who will I recommend. I told him I am using Vestalink and it works for me pretty well. He checked out with VOIPo and Vestalink. After talking to the support people, he decided to use Vestalink. I told him how to set up his ATA and everything was very smooth. He is happy about what he got also.

The service is quite reliable. It had short outrages a few months ago but didn't impact me. The voice quality is pretty good. Even though their price has gone up. The two years 2000 per minutes plan cost $130 per two years now. However, I think it is still one of the lowest that I know of. Although, I think the "unlimted" plan at $140 per two years will be a better deal. (Please note though the "unlimited" plan is more like 5000 minutes per month plan.)

Their customer service is about average. They have an online chat support that I found pretty responsive.

One thing I found they did well is about their online stats display. It was established after a few people's suggestions including me. It also shows they care about people's feedback.

I really don't have much bad experience with them but just they can keep low price and survive. It is still a relatively new company.

member for 4.7 years, 635 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by omon See Profile

• Location: Riverton,Burlington,NJ
Bad "There were numerous outages over 2014 & 2015. Support doesn't respond to emails..."
Overall "Stay away from them..."

Really feels like a bait-and-switch scheme... Intentionally or not, but they are way over their heads. Issues with service, they try to blame on firewall/router setup. I have their service, and also my parents do. In both locations, the OBI is in DMZ, so no firewall issues. Can make OBI-OBI calls easily, calls to 2nd line which is GV, no issues. The only issue is Vestalink...

Shame on you, Ryan Tilton. I know the service was supposed to be "cheap", but you are not ready for prime-time...

Comments:
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
·AcroVoice
·Anveo

Bad troubleshooting

1) A VoIP ATA should never be placed in DMZ.

2) Even if you place an ATA in DMZ, a router can still interfere with VoIP traffic. This does not eliminate the router as a possible cause of the problem.

3) Neither OBiTALK nor Google Voice use SIP, so the fact that these services work means nothing.

If you would like assistance solving your problem, I suggest you start a thread in the »VOIP Tech Chat forum, describe your equipment including your router, and the specific symptoms you are experiencing.

m.
Mango's OBi ATA configuration

Vastalink

I didn't notice any disruption of service lately. Their website said there was no service down in past two months. Anybody notice any service down in 2015?

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC

$80 per month? I don't think so...

$79.99 per year.

»www.vestalink.com/

Review by buzz_4_20 See Profile

• Location: Limestone,Aroostook,ME
Good "Easy Pricing, Quick Setup, Fax from Web, E911"
Bad "Support Was Instant Chat, now it's Email and waiting."
Overall "Great Service at a good price for a home user."

·Pioneer Wireless
I've got the 2000 minutes a month plan at $7.99 a month bring your own device.
The E911 is included which is better than most other services where it's an Addon.

So far the service has been rock solid and the quality is spot on.
Setup was fairly instant and the trial option was very nice to give it a test.

They also support g.722 and OPUS if you want to use the wideband codecs.

I have this setup on a PBX in a flash under Hyper-V and it's been nothing but smooth sailing.

Update November 1st 2014. Bad News.
Since my last review this company has dropped g.722 and OPUS... Without warning or notification (as of writing the site still says these codecs are supported)
They also dropped the ability to send faxes from their portal using minutes, you now have to pay $0.14 a page.

Today I got 2 emails this morning, the first was a subscription change email that upped my price by $6 a month and then my normal (expected) billing email with my new charges already pulled from my account.

It's going downhill and if I can't get my pricing returned I'll be looking elsewhere for my voice service.

member for 11.4 years, 3414 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
modem_reset

join:2010-05-27

I did a 2 year contract

lowered my price..I have not gotten any notifications' on price increases.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Re: I did a 2 year contract

That's the thing... I got my normal notification and then boom... Higher rate. They said nobody was locked in... But I stayed at 7.99 through the other rate increases.

Re: I did a 2 year contract

The one year and two year plans were not changed.

Review by slyphoxj See Profile

• Location: Brook Park,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "WYSIWYP pricing, call quality, BYOD, "
Bad "Had a few outages earlier this year"
Overall "Works fine (I use it for outgoing calls only)"

UPDATE (10/19/14): Been reliable since about May or so (when my internet's been working, of course... I've had some rough times with my internet the past few months), so I'm bumping my Reliability score from a 3 to a 4. About a month ago I tried to call a hotel in Columbus (area code 614) and got dead air. I then dialed this number out through my Callcentric trunk and it went through. That's about the only real issue I can think of to report lately. I'm debating whether Vestalink is reliable enough to port my number from Callcentric and use Vestalink for both incoming and outgoing and use Callcentric as a backup (or replace them with another cheaper, but reliable, backup provider on my SP2 slot on my Obi110).

*** ORIGINAL REVIEW ***

Earlier this year, I first heard mention of this new provider called Obivoice (now called Vestalink) that had these really low priced unlimited and 2000 minute plans (we're talking almost Magicjack low!). On my house line, we went over the 500 minute cap on our Callcentric outgoing plan a time or two, and the Vestalink 2000 minute $39.99/year plan looked like a much better deal for outgoing ($3.33/month for 2000 minutes versus $6.95/month for 500 minutes from Callcentric).

I went for the $39.99/year 2000 minute plan on 2/27/14 after Vestalink CS said that it would be OK to use this plan for outgoing only. I use the Callcentric Personal Unlimited plan for $7.45/month ($5.95 + $1.50 E911 fee) for incoming and Vestalink for outgoing on my Obi110. My monthly cost went from $12.90 for unlimited/500 incoming/outgoing to $10.78 for unlimited/2000.

Website: The Vestalink account portal is easy to understand, navigate and figure out, even easier than Callcentric's (but you can do more on Callcentric's portal). The Vestalink portal works only when accessed on a browser on a PC... it didn't work so great on my Motorola Xoom tablet's browser. I'm dinging 1 "star" because Vestalink's site is sometimes not as fast or reliable as Callcentric's.

Ease of Installation: Vestalink will let you use any device that uses the standard SIP protocol. You can go to Walmart and buy a Basictalk ATA for $9.99 (plus sales tax) and hack it to work with Vestalink if you're technical enough. I'm dinging 1 "star" because it wasn't quite as simple as plug n' call like an Ooma or Magicjack, but the tradeoff is that I can use any SIP-compliant device I want to... if my device breaks, I can get a replacement for $10-$50 and just plug my SIP credentials into the new device and I'm back in business.

Call Quality: It's fine. About as good as Callcentric's, maybe a tad less, but better than a cell phone.

Reliability: Vestalink has had 2 (maybe 3) outages since my household been using them. I don't quite trust them enough to port our number away from Callcentric. I'm not sure if Vestalink's robocall/telemarketer blocking or CNAM are as strong as Callcentric's. But aside from the outages, they've been almost as good as Callcentric for outgoing. I'm not counting the internet outages I've had with WOW Cable, of course.

Tech Support: Their CS/TS has responded quickly to emails I've sent them.

Value for money: I got the 2000 minute plan for $39.99 (that's what was billed to my credit card... and that includes E911!) Hopefully they'll let me renew at that price, but I'm kind of doubtful since it has since been raised to $54.99. It's still a good deal though for only $4.58/month. Hopefully Vestalink will stick around and still be reliable until I am due to renew again and not raise their prices any more.

Vestalink + a hacked Basictalk ATA or other decent, cheap ATA is a far better deal than Magicjack or Nettalk. For outoging only, it's a better deal than Callcentric if you regularly use 500+ minutes outgoing a month.

member for 12.6 years, 4254 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

Value for money.

Good luck on that. They've by now raised the price to $79.99/year and climbing, or in other words double what you signed up for. The $39.99 price point was just a marketing gimmick to lure people in - apparently it worked.
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com

Re: Value for money.

said by nitzan:

I emailed Vestalink back in August to ask them if they'd let me renew for $39.99. The rep that replied back said that they would... we'll see...
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

Re: Value for money.

I hope for your sake that they will.. I guess we'll see in a few months.

On the upside- if they don't, you have plenty of other options at a lower price point, so if they decide to jack up the price it'll be easy to move - especially since you're outgoing only.

Trimline
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
·Bright House Net..

Vestalink

I've been with them since January 2014 and really, have no complaints. I ported my main house-personal number of 15 years to them and have been quite satisfied.

There are a lot of naysayers out there, and quite a few that want them to fail, but I've always voted for the newcomers and the "under-dogs". They have shattered many conceptions of VoIP.

I'm sticking with them. So far, tried and true. I'm a happy customer, and yes, your renewal is based upon sign-up, so you are good to go.

Cheers!!!!

Review by modem_reset See Profile

• Location: Poland,Androscoggin,ME
Good "Works as advertised"
Bad "new company"
Overall "great service for price"

·Fairpoint Commun..
*** update ***

No service issues that we have seen with Obioice I am using both their Beta side and 'normal' side in my freepbx setup. Both trunks take traffic.

I have an Obi 110 that we bough to use with google voice, ended up falling in love with it and added another line and moved off of Obi to FreePBX for our phone service.

We currently have 5 "lines".

Line 1 is POTS we have a CLEC and cannot get naked DSL, this will remain active for the foreseable future. All 911 Calls, toll free calls are routed out this line (freepbx rules).

line 2/3 are both Google Voice used for 2 families in our home.

Line 4 is our international SIP provider 10euro's every 90 days recharge and we are good..

line 5 is ObiVoice for our nationwide and backup international calling.

We do a bunch of international calls, last month ~500 minutes. Mostly to the UK where our family is located, the international SIP is working well for that, I just like to have a backup line if there is an issue.

ObiVoice is our backup SIP line for international and our main national phone calls.

Both line 4 and line 5 allow for outgoing CID spoofing, Our numbers are spoofed to our POTS line.

Recap, our old phone bill was ~150 a month.
our new phone bill is around 2.50 a month with both OBivoice and International SIP....substantial savings, well worth the initial investment and time.

member for 4.7 years, 958 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
thunder15

join:2008-01-18
Chicago, IL
·CircleNet

Name change

I just got an update that Obivoice is changing their brand to Vestalink to avoid any legal problem with Obihai.

Their service proves to be good so far. Hopefully they can add new features like SMS, shortcodes, etc. I am thinking of switching over from VOIPo after almost 4 years with them.
+ »www.svdmissions.org -Who we are + »freerice.com -Learn and Give + »searchformission.com
modem_reset

join:2010-05-27

Re: Name change

It's a get what you pay for market. I expect dial tone, we pay for it, and so far it delivers.

My e911 is going out a POTS line so I'm never going to see if their's works, I have no need. BUT I like the fact that is an option.

Review by cfosdyck See Profile

• Location: Ottumwa,Wapello,IA
Good "Cheap, Reliable service"
Bad "Initial call quality issues "
Overall "Awesome bang for your buck!"

I was looking to save money over my current Vonage service and searching the internet for low cost VOIP providers and low and behold I found Vestalink, formerly known as Obivoice. I was paying Vonage nearly $33 after taxes and fees, now with Vestalink I'm paying roughly $4/mo. Initially I had some issues with call quality and my Obi 100 intermittently rebooting itself. I emailed support and they were quick to respond suggesting I try a different port. After that the call quality was fine, however my Obi kept rebooting. I've since replaced my Obi with a Grandstream 701 and it has been flawless! If you need a cheap, quality provider I highly suggest Intelafone.

Comments:

Review by Skip See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Bad "Browser Compatibility Trial Length"

I tried to create an account using Firefox 27.0.1. In chat, I was subsequently told, that your web page has issues with Firefox 27.0.1. Then I tried to use Internet Explorer 11. After I verified my cell phone number, I had no buttons to continue. I was told to activate JAVA Script. I checked and it was activated. Next, I completed the application with Chrome. This time it told me that my cell phone number was already verified and would not allow me to continue. The next day, Tech Support responded "You should be able to use duplicate numbers for the verification process as of today."

The trial is for thirty days or one hour. Is one hour enough time to evaluate a VOIP ISP?

A six month rating is unavailable for ObiVoice because "More reviews are required before ratings can be averaged." How can ObiVoice be rated #1 in the Voice Over IP providers group. It seems to me that a company like CallCentric or Ooma, who have proven track records would rate higher than a start up like ObiVoice.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark

Just a note for the readers....

Just to avoid any confusion for casual readers:

ObiVoice (previously Intelafone) has now changed their name to Vestalink.

San Diego, CA

ObiVoice/Vestalink used to be called Intelafone

It is the same company as Intelafone, which has been existed for a few years. Things might change because they might have signed up more users. Now it is called Vestalink
I signed in for a 2 years 2000m program and so far it works fine.

Review by mrtomallen See Profile

• Location: Valrico,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Excellent pricing, Support and Call Quality"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "The company seems to be customer focus at a very good price."

I signed up for the wrong plan in error. I emailed them and asked them to correct my mistake and refund the difference. My email was answered and the account was corrected and my refund process in less than 10 minutes after sending the email. You sure don't usually get that kind of responce from most companies.

member for 8 years, 1830 visits, last login: a few hours ago