XO COMMUNICATIONS page on DSLReports

Review by IT broadband See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party XO Communications
Good "Good Value for your Money"
Bad "Customer Care takes a long time however you have access to a online web portal to bypass calling cx care"
Overall "We are very happy with our service"

I have a company with 25 employees. We were using 17 Lines & DSL with AT&T. The service was good with AT&T, however; our business was growing and so was our AT&T bill. Before we signed with XO, we also recieved proposals from Telepacific, Mpower, and CBeyond. All the proposals were very similar, however; XO was able to provide a True Flat Rate that provided 1 Toll Free Number, 17 Phone Lines, and 2 Internet T1's for 3Mbps AND FREE Nationwide & FREE Incoming Toll Free Usage. They even provided us an online web portal to make changes on our account without having to contact customer care. We had XO for over 12 months now and the service has been up 100% (knock on wood). I would probably say the best thing about XO is that there were able to reduce our monthly bill and also upgrade our communications to T1 service. We already referred 2 customers to XO and they credited our account $500 each time as a thank you. I would recommend XO to anyone.......Call my sales rep @ XO (213-607-4007). I guarantee he will provide you with any solution you're looking for and give you free advice.

Comments:

Review by upton5 See Profile

• Location: Boston,Suffolk,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Occasionally sympathetic on the phone"
Bad "Do not see the link between successive outage events, cannot identify and solve chronic connectivity problems"
Overall "We've spent a lot of time on the phone to XO and have had service way below promise"

I've been an XO customer on DSL then T1 for five years.

We now have a 1.1Mbs T1, which has been in since January 07. We've had five outages since then, and lots of associated trouble tickets and innumerable phone calls.

Each time the problem was fixed (after a 2-14 day outage depending on the event), Verizon notified XO that there was "no problem". It turns out, after 6 months, that there *was* a chronic problem with a piece of equipment (Verizon-owned) in the colo.

It was *very, very* difficult (close to impossible) to get anyone at XO to take ownership of this long-term problem. Tech reps read the script, engineers fixed some symptoms. MAYBE it's been fixed. We've wasted a lot of time & money with XO, partly because of their lack of leverage over Verizon, and partly because of policies like ensuring that the engineer who is working on the problem CANNOT be called back. You have to start over with the phone rep.

They answer their phones pretty quickly, but this is the epitome of an organization that doesn't or can't listen.

The fundamental difficulty is that you can never get to a real, contactable person who will share *ownership* of the problem with you. No one expects perfection. But customers do want an effective approach to solving problems. Their process has frustration built into it. Someone, by the way, might have looked at the lousy service we've had and been proactive about refunding some of the fees. We have to "apply" for this, even after all the time, business and money we've lost because of inept and superficial problem-solving.

I would advise folks to look elsewhere.

member for 12.8 years, 545 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by mrbiker See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Always up (99% plus)"
Bad "Service changes take forever!"
Overall "Once we were set up, we were happy"

I switched our company to XO in October of 2001. We moved in June of 2005 and renewed for 3 years.

We have all phone lines and internet service with XO. That includes local and long distance minutes. We have 18 lines on a T1 along with 1.5Gb data service.

We've had 3 outages in 5 years, 2 were short, the third was for 6 hours. Every time, they got right on it and got it fixed. They always follow up with a call and never close a ticket unless you are happy - or don't respond to at least two follow up calls.

If you want to change your service, they tell you it can take up to 30 days - and they ain't kidding!

I got stuck in the auto-renew clause on the first contract - though I didn't mind, I don't like being fooled, either.

So our costs are flat rate - we never pay more for service than promised except for international calls.

So the phone and internet service has been great and the technical service has been great.

Our complaints are minimal and as of July '07, I'd recommend these guys to anyone.

Comments:

Review by edamon See Profile

• Location: Marina Del Rey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Wickedly fast - having come from ygnition which sucks.. this xo has been great. 600 Kilobytes down..."
Bad "none so far."
Overall "Great deal for the money."

For the last 2 years I've been stuck with ygnition.com -- as the property I live that made some backroom deal with them. They had 3 T1 lines to support a complex that is 40 acres and 1000 units.. you do the math. Fastest speeds were 600kbps -- and only in the middle of the night. Latency made online games unplayable, as it was in the 150-200ms range on average.

Finally, consolidated bought out multiband to offer the directv service here and decided to offer broadband over the coax they now own.

Consolidated resells XO.com for their broadband.

For $5 bucks LESS a month than ygnition, I got a 5mbps down - 768kbps upload connection vs. 200-600kbps down / 300-500kbps up with ygnition. Couldn't be happier. Downloading at 600-620KB/sec vs 50-70KB/sec is like night and day.

The modem was installed 2 days after the order was placed. Can't beat that stick with a snake....

member for 13.4 years, 331 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by voipman340 See Profile

• Location: Saint Clair Shores,Macomb,MI
  • CLEC party: XO Communications
Good "They did a great Job on Selling me the Product"
Bad "Very Shady Information about Installation"
Overall "Any Company that allows sales rep to unethically conduct business should be sued"

I have a very successfull privately held property management company. We have 5 office all in Lata 340 AT&T/SBC in metro detroit. We own and manage about 48 properties in detroit with five Major Offices that handle michigan, ohio, Chicago and Indiana. In addtion we have about another 350 pots lines in our leasing offices. I very nice looking your lady came into your livoina office one day and present her self very nicely. I agreed to an appointment with her to review our services. Although XO could only cover about 29 locations I was impressed considering it would at least cut down on the amount of invoice I received each month. The sales rep promised that XO could put all locations on one invoice each month. At the time I had about 550 pots line and 45 dsl lines. My bills were in excess of $28,000 per month I was intrested in reducing cost and carriers across the board. I agreed to let her take my invoices and I signed a LOA (Letter of Authorization). She came back with her sales manager about a week later and gave me a detail proposal. The price looked great and I was able to get a T1 in each location and greats reduced the cost on my pots lines. They proposed XO Flex Option a VoIP product that allowed me to call between offices free of charge. I always wanted a T1 but it was not affordable 10 years ago. Basically I cut my cost to $14,000.00 per month. The sales manager and sales rep both promised that this was an out the door price and no hiddens cost would appear on my bill. They even said there would only me about 9% of sales tax totaling $1400. When I asked if there is anything I would need to do for equipment or my phone vendor. The sales manager said that XO would take care of everything in reguard to installation of my new services. I thought this was odd because anytime I switch providers I needed to have my guy from BSB communication there. But again he reasured me that everything would be taken car of. I signed the paperwork and off they went. AT&T dropped of a T1 at each location and I hooked my LAN up and set the VPN up the data was working Fine. Then on December 21st 2006 28 locations went dead in the water with no phone service. I was confused and upset when I called the rep and the sales manager I had no reply. Later on I found that both XO employees left the company. Three weeks went by untill my services were restored. Please avoid this company by all means they are the satin of telecom.

• Location: Bozeman,Gallatin,MT
Good "They provide service in Utah"
Bad "Very shady contract terms"
Overall "Service was OK until cancel time..."

Our service with XO was standard at best. My review is about the "shady"
contracts. Buried on page 11 of a 23 page service contract they have a
clause Section 8, in that clause there is 1 sentence that's states that
if you do not cancel on your anniversary they will "auto-renew" your
contract term for a like term. They make a point during the sales
process to avoid spotlighting this clause and they will not contact you
when you 1st contract is about to expire. They just hope you don't
notice and hold you to another year of service with termination
labiality.

We signed a 1yr (12month) service contract for (2) t1's. After 22 months
we canceled them. At the time of cancel they do not tell you that there
is contract liability, in fact they waited 2 months after we canceled to
send us the bill with the "early termination" charges. I contacted them
to dispute this charge, explained I only signed a 12 month agreement and
I went 22 months of service, tried to explain that there had been a
billing error. I was told "I should ready my service agreements better"
then was informed of the "auto-renew" clause. I asked if they contacted
us at the 1yr point about the "auto-renew". They made it very clear they
do not contact anyone they just roll the contract into another year.
They refused to drop the additional charges ($500.00 per t1) and were
more then happy to let me know of possible late charges and collections.
They did say "sorry" our sales person did not inform you of this clause
at the time you signed it, but refused to do anything about it. When I
contacted the public service commission, they informed me that this was
a civil case, because it was a private contract and not between to
carriers.

I don't know how many people they have stung with these shady tactics,
but if you ever have to get service from XO, well don't, If you must, be
Very Very aware of the "Auto-Renew" nature of the contracts. I am not
sure how this is legal but I hope someone learns from my $1k lesson. I
will never do business with XO again, and will tell everyone I know in
the ISP world about my experience.

Garrett Talbot

(review was emailed from domain bridgeband.net)

Comments:

Review by mediamath See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "None"
Bad "All"
Overall "Bad service and product"

Our firm used XO to host our web pages and our email and we have had nothing but trouble. Stick pins in your eyes it will hurt less.

Comments:

Review by filcro15 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Not anymore"
Bad "Service, connection, features, help desk, tech support"
Overall "If you have a choice pick another company"

They have turned into a rip-off poor service provider. We have trouble with them a couple of times a month. Their servers are slow, their connections go down all the time, their e-mail is a joke.

Do a tracert on ANYONE they host and see what you’re getting!!!!!!!!!!!!

They make money by purposely letting a lot of junk mail into your company boxes and charging you for the disk usage when other ISP's would never even let that type of garbage touch their customers. IT’S JUST A WAY THEY MAKE MONEY.

Their email filers DO NOT WORK!!!

When you put in tickets for customer support all they do is send you an automated e-mail. Not once were they able to fix things.

About once a month we go down and we have no e-mail or hosting. I'd say that sucks.

When you call tech support which they charge you $100.00 a year for!!! They lie to you and tell you nothing is wrong. I'm sitting here doing a tracert and getting 200ms to 300ms and they say that's normal and expected. I'd say 20ms to 30ms is normal, with 85ms if your going from east to west. ANYTHING over that is "junk".

They charge twice to three times as much as others and their service and product is a 0 on a scale of 1-10

Our company can't wait to get away from them. As soon as we can we're switching to another company

STAY AWAY!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by kapil See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
  • CLEC party: XO Communications
Good "Stable connection...as SDSL should be"
Bad "Price. Features. Support."
Overall "Not Bad...but for the money there are better business ISPs to be had"

I had 1.1Mbps SDSL from XO for my business. Install took forever...and it was half XOs fault and half because of the ILEC.

Install charges, equipment charges and MRC are up there. For the money there are many better options...but the service performed as expected.

Level 1 tech support is as bad as any other ISP...but level 2 is competent and takes care of stuff promptly, should the need arise.

The worst part was pre-sales...no one knew what the hell was going on...everyone I talked to gave me different information...it was almost as if they were trying to convince me NOT to buy from them.

I'd recommend Covad over XO...better pricing.

member for 14.5 years, 5218 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Des Plaines,Cook,IL
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Rapidly Provisioned, Reliable"
Bad "Lousy Performance That Deteriorated Over Time"
Overall "A ripoff - they sold a service they knew they could not deliver. AVOID XO."

We were a user of XO ADSL for over 5 years. They sold us 1.5/384 service
that *never* hit anything close to rated speed. Every couple of months,
the speed would drop noticeably from its "normal" level of about 608/384
to something considerably worse. We'd call in and it would take several
days to get it back to it's "good" speed. This went on for years as the
bill steadily climbed higher and higher.

Several weeks ago this happened yet again. I called XO tech support and
asked them to fix it. This time they decided to spend some time on the
problem. After several days of fiddling around, the speed was *worse*
than when we started. Finally, one of their tech people said, "Oh, you
could never have gotten 1.5Mbit on that circuit, you're too far away." I
replied, "In other words, XO has happily taken our money - in increasing
amounts - knowning full well they could never deliver the service they
advertised." His answer was "Switch to SDSL or T1" which (predictably)
costs 3x+ what we were already paying.

I had resisted changing ISPs because we run our own domain (DNS, web
etc.) and reconfiguring it is mildly painful. But this was the final
straw. I promptly signed up with Speakeasy and migrated the DNS over the
weekend. Speakeasy has been a joy to work with. Out of the box - no
tuning - they almost tripled the throughput of the circuit, for about
the same monthly fee as we were paying XO (well, Speakeasy is charging
us an additional $9/mo, but then again, we have over 2x as many static
IPs now). They promptly installed reverse DNS in minutes when we were
ready for them. Their tech support people actually understand how this
stuff works from the physical fabric all the way up to the higher levels
of IP routing and DNS. And Speakeasy isn't done yet. They're busy trying
to get the circuit to run even faster (we provisioned 3/768 - but it's
not there yet). If they cannot hit the 3Mbit speed, they have assured me
that they will promptly reduce our monthly bill to reflect the lower
speed achieved. Even so, as I said, they've already exceeded 1.5 Mbit
down, something that was a remote dream with XO.

I should have dumped XO years ago. The transition to a new ISP really
wasn't that big of a DNS configuration task and Speakeasy is superior as
an ISP in pretty much every meaningful way.

Today I called XO to complain one last time about their taking our money
knowing full well they could never deliver on their promises. Their
answer? They have graciously agreed to not make us pay for the final
month of service. How very big of them.

Let our pain be your guide - avoid XO insofar as you can. Speakeasy - if
available in your location - is a MUCH better choice. The only way we
ever are going to remediate corporate misbehavior is by starving them
for revenue. Let's help XO go out of business, shall we ...

P.S. XO's defense was that "...there is no SLA associated with our DSL."
This is true as far as it goes. Their initial contract called for
service levels only on a "best effort" basis. However, the problem
here is in several parts:

1) They sold a service they apparently knew they could never deliver
and continued to accept full payment - even increasing it over time.
2) They refused to make meaningful financial restitution.
3) Speakeasy DOES provide a written SLA for ADSL - same premise,
same CO, and same media coordinator (Covad) as XO. Why
can't XO match this, I wonder.

(review was emailed from domain tundraware.com)