XO COMMUNICATIONS page on DSLReports

Review by bloodnok See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "still there"
Bad "kinda pricy"
Overall "wouldn't give up my broadband for the world!"

having moved and in the process offered the chance to pay xo communications $500 to remain their customer, i switched to speakeasy/covad. not too bad. a couple screw-ups, like speakeasy telling covad the wrong address to ship my modem and att provisioning my new phone at my old address - that was especially clever, but has nothing much to do with dsl. att joined xo and rcn as ex-providers for me. unfortunately, i'm with the monopoly pots company. can't win.

member for 14.8 years, 192 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Inetmonkey9 See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Reliable service, seldom needed support"
Bad "Horrifying experiences with billing; when support was needed, got major run-around"
Overall "Probably okay for individuals, but I couldn't recommend for a business-class user"

I used this 384K SDSL service for almost 3 years. The reliability was outstanding, which made it difficult to cancel. The main problems were with the various aspects of support under XO. Previously under Concentric, support was timely, courteous, and helpful. Not so under XO.

My problems were mostly with billing and support (although luckily I rarely needed support). Billing was a hassle every quarter where by invoices would reflect an underpayment or missed payment, but I was paying automatically through my bank. The situation always came down to "prove to us that we were paid".

If you pay your bill automatically with a credit card, I imagine things would be fine, but any kind of invoicing necessary for a small business or expense account is problematic.

Comments:

Review by wmena See Profile

• Location: Novi,Oakland,MI

Update... out of business (for home users anyway)

Willy Mena

Comments:

Review by jDyno See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Blazing install. Great support. Great sales response."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Go for it!"

After looking into quite a few providers and months of being dissatisfied with Verio, I setteled on XO. 2 weeks after making my first call, I was surfing like a wild man. That's right, 2 weeks! Unheard of in this area. I ordered 1.1mbps, even though I could have gotten the max speed. Cost the only consideration there. I also ordered 16 extra IPs at $7/month. The XO rep would email or call me back within minutes of a request for info, pre-install. Email updates pre and post install had great info.The Covad tech showed up on time, knew what he was doing, asked more than once whether there was anything else he could do for me. Now that I am up, my speeds are usually at or even above 1.1mbps at times. I love it. Any questions?

---

We are no longer with XO. We decided to switch to a more "reliable" host, Sprint, due to XO's financial troubles at the time - about a year ago, I guess. Obviously, not a good choice. We became one of thousands of Sprint Customers to be turned off all of a sudden one day. We were without access for a month. We managed to stay afloat (being a web design/dev firm!) by borrowing some bandwidth from another office.

---

We are back with XO, sort of by default, since they bought Allegiance Telecom. I've seen no change whatsoever in service, reliability, etc. since the purchase.

member for 13.7 years, 2721 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Zatharis See Profile

• Location: Derry,Rockingham,NH
  • CLEC party: XO Communications
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Being replaced"

Okay I have now flamed XO 2x in these reviews.

After many calls on various days into tech support it took till the 10th day for me to loose it totallly and tech support was quickly trained in a new language.

Monday I got a call from 2 managers who even saw my flame here and put 2x2 together.

They sent a Covad router tech out finally yesterday.

He found what was called he(ck)(x) errors, low ability to use bandwidth and a high drop of packets while transferring data. He mentioned he could see many obvious errors in the log and they continue to build, he showed concern/confusion to why XOs dial in techs didn't see it? I dunno, he did mention though, the line itself can create these errors, so we tested at the source. He did a stress test and reported to me it was a 22, he then said it should be 10 (we have 2900 loop) he also said something about an IW6 not being good (dunno). We went back in after testing and hooked up Flowpoint, here's where it gets good. The darn thing died right then and there he couldn't even get out with his laptop only connected. This is also where it got funny, he put the new router in and configured everything did some tests and said "It works, let's test it" I did some basic FTPs first couple had problems and once the system settled down and we stopped bumping wires, we got 799K inbound and 696K outbound right where we've always been.

**** While talking with the managers I did note the VPN not only acting up, but a quirk about a user logging in and coming up different****, which clearly made it to the tech, because just the mere mention of VPN returned with "I can't help you". Well I don't want help, I know how to do it. In fact the second router I bought is configured and ready. Oh and you managers I figured out why the user came up wrong. The "new" router only works with Preshare keys which can either be the same on all users or different. Our Old VPN used another identifier with a preshare key. The old VPN was configured with same preshare key different ID. When any user logged on, the same preshare key put them into a pool and called all users by the first accounts name, so apparently it is supposed to be that way and offsite testing and setup proved that point. The new VPN although I thought I was creating individual users actually creates pools and anyone with a key gets that pool, all users (my mistake) had same key, anyone who logged on got the first pool available which seems to work alphabetically backwards thats why all users logged in as "tara" per per our conversation T was the last on the list, first in the key pool, and everyone ended up there, like it or not. I don't mind as long as it works. I will find out in a couple hours, it works offsite it should work there all I have to do is put Correct IP and Subnet, and yes I know what they are believe me.

Comments:

Review by laurad

Could someone please advise us of the broadband
connection at this office.

Laura D'Angelo
Protravel International
160 South Livingston Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
Tel: 973-994-2999 x 118
Fax: 973-994-3092

(review was emailed from domain protravelinc.com)

Comments:

Review by en102 See Profile

• Location: Northridge,Los Angeles,CA
  • CLEC party: XO Communications
Good "Speed"
Overall "DS3 $$$ Cost"

Great speed on this connection

2002-10-15 13:32:44 EST: 27038 / 19933
Your download speed : 27038545 bps, or 27038 kbps.
A 3300.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 19933554 bps, or 19933 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

2002-10-15 13:40:49 EST: 25493 / 20547
Your download speed : 25493485 bps, or 25493 kbps.
A 3111.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 20547945 bps, or 20547 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Test running..Downloaded 60900bytes in 59ms
Downloaded 696000bytes in 152ms
First guess is 36631kbps
a FAST line - now test 3mb
Downloaded 1679100bytes in 375ms

** Speed 35820(down)/na **
(At least 716 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

member for 13.8 years, 2143 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by CEO8 See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
  • Telco party XO Communications
Good "nice people in the sales dept"
Bad "worst customer service I have ever -- EVER! -- encountered"
Overall "cancelling this service immediately - it's the time wasted that really hurts"

We ordered 1500/1500 DSL for business. Order processed fine, came in in a timely fashion, line installed OK. Then it all went to hell. Tech came out when only my bookeeper was here to install the router. He put it in the phone closet where our router from Sprint is. Told my bookeeper that all we had to do was unplug the network from the Sprint box and plug it in to the XO box. Next day, I plugged in the box and nothing worked. Spent 1 hour on tech support, where I was told that even though I ordered 1500/1500, they were "provisioning" me for 1100/1100. Thanks. Spent an hour with a tech who had us tweaking settings on the PCs to try and make it work to no avail. Had to leave (I have to make a living, you know). Called back later, got another tech who announced that since she could connect to the router from her end, it was our problem, since "XO doesn't deal with network problems." Problem identified as needing a cross-over cable. Told them to send a tech out to make it work. She agreed, but told me that it would be billable service since it was our fault. Worst customer service tech I've ever talked to. Clearly, she sees her job as protecting XO from vicious customers like myself. Thought it might just be one bad apple. Called back. Got a supervisor on the line. He went through the same song and dance with me -- since my bookeeper had "signed off" on the installation, having them come out to make it work would be billable. Finally got through to another customer service supervisor -- clearly, it's not one bad apple, its company policy. Got him to agree that my bookeeper wasn't qualified to sign off on installation. They sent another tech out yesterday. The solution required was that they had to move the router from the phone closet up to the area where the LAN hub is. No way this was something we could have done. Got it up and running. But the kicker is we're "provisioned" for 750/750. Got throughput speeds of 575/535. That's a third of the speed I ordered. It's half of what Sprint's given us. Called XO at 8 am. Told at that point about the provisioning for 750. Thanks for letting me know. I ordered 1500 and get set up for 750 without notice of any type. Was told that our speeds did seem low, and a repair / service ticket was opened. Called back at 1PM to see what happened. No new info. Called again at 3PM. Told it was our fault for having a "poor line." No one ever called. I'm just supposed to live with 1/3 the speed I'm paying for?

The worst part about this is that even with all these problems, they probably could have kept my business just by simple customer service. My prediction is that XO will be out of business within 12 months due to the atrocious state of customer relations that is clearly acceptable to the company and may indeed be company policy. Don't blame me for your lack of professionalism - your installer put the router in the phone closet instead of where it belonged, and then hoped we wouldn't notice it didn't work? And then your CS staff wanted to blame me for that? Charge me to get it right? I've spent over 3 hours just dealing with these losers, and the bottom line is that the service stinks. And no one on their staff could give a flying whatever.

There is NOTHING this company could do to keep my business.

Comments:

Review by PeterBBshp See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Wide variety of choices to solve web-site issues when DSL service poor."
Bad "Technical excuses from tech support instead of stressing solving problem with other services."
Overall "Do not insist on great DSL if service is poor at your location. Look into web-hosting to help solve problem."

We recently needed to shift around our DSL services, and we
had a little adventure, but primarily because our new location
is a little far from the central office.

We wanted to run at 400Kb, and the installer thought we could
do it, but the speed did not stay at 400 for long. Dslreports
claimed I was 13880 feet from my CO, but I suspect I am up to
3000 feet further from my CO than that. I finally determined
that my location will only support 272 Kbs, and even that has
occasional hiccups that I can solve by rebooting the router.

XO Communications worked with us to help me reach these conclusions.
They didn't call me back often, but I could reach them and talk
to their tech people. We have been long-time XO customers. After
reading all the reviews at dslreports, I decided that it would
be better to survive with XO than try to find a better ISP.
Once I did that, I talked to XO sales, and was able to find an
even better solution to my problem. XO offers very inexpensive
web hosting features at bandwidths higher than I cared to pay for
(you don't pay for bandwidth, only for GB per month of traffic).

By combining inexpensive web hosting with DSL, I was able to off-load
the high bandwidth needs onto my web hosting, and retain DSL to
run my web server that is running custom software, all for the
same price as a few mailboxes, domain names, and IP addresses,
and higher speed DSL.

The key to success with XO communications is to avoid
overblown expectations for the quality or speed of DSL
service, and also to seriously consider their inexpensive
web hosting as a way to deal with the problems of DSL.

Peter Bishop

member for 12.2 years, 63 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

• Location: Boston,Suffolk,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Bad "Unreliable, Poor Technical Resolutions"
Overall "Not sufficient for business use"

We originally signed up with concentric networks several years ago for a
business class SDSL 1.1Mbit connection. While it was concentric, and
even initially XO communications, the service was very reliable. It went
down every 3-4 months for a 1/2 day. For the past year however we have
been having outages almost every week. I wrote a ping utility to test
our connection. Almost 90% of the times we have had a problem, the
packets were being lost within the central office between the DSL modem
there and what they call their "Redback" router (the connection to the
DSL modem at the remote central office was fine). We would call,
complain, and a day later - presto things were working again. The next
week we would have the same problem. XO seems to want to resolve the
problems we have been having but also seems unable to do so. There is no
talking to well versed technical support people as they shield you with
front line techs.

I asked them why they are not monitoring the internals of their network
(note the problem is not between my office and the central office, but
rather within their own routers). Their comment to me was if I wanted
them to monitor their own network, I should switch to the much more
expensive T1 connection. The DSL service was only checked if their was a
complaint. When I asked what I was paying for with business class, they
told me if I wanted more I should switch to the much more expensive T1
connection. It doesn't occur to them that I am not willing to throw good
money after bad.

Our contract with XO communications is up this fall and we will be
looking for another provider.

(review was emailed from domain pemicro.com)