XO COMMUNICATIONS page on DSLReports

Review by pdkdsl See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
  • Telco party XO Communications
Good "Great value, good performance and quality."
Bad "Can be hard to track an open problem ticket"
Overall "I've been using XO for 5 or 6 years now and have been very pleased."

I thought I would update this review. It is now March 2013 and I have all but 1 of my offices on XO. Most have 3.0 mbp Flex with a couple of 1.5's and one 4.5. The service is still as rock solid as ever. I can't remember any significant down time over the last 12 months and the speed is always exactly as advertised.

One thing that I especially like is that I have the same Account Rep and Sales Person for the last 6 years. They know my setup and are very helpful.

I still have one office on AT&T and while they have improved somewhat over the last couple of years, I still think XO is the best bang for the buck.

Best Regards

When I first started using XO I was concerned about moving away from Pac Bell (now AT&T) but I needed faster internet access at locations where AT&T does not provide DSL and T-1's at the time were over $1,000 per month. I put XO in at two locations and let them run for a year. The bundled service includes all my data and voice.

I had no major problems during that year and then started to move the rest of my locations to XO. I currently have 5 offices on XO and am in the process of moving 2 more this month. The only office that I still have problems with (both voice and data) is on AT&T in an area that XO does not serve.

Comments:
PDXRobin

join:2013-04-08
Portland, OR

Ever check your XO bills?

XO has no regard whatsoever for rates and discounts agreed to in their term agreements. Within weeks of signing a new agreement for one of our 9 sites, XO increased the rates. They notify customers in their bills of rate changes, expecting the accounts payable people to read the bills! They reduce promised in the signed agreements discounts at will. This company has no integrity. They require now 45 days notice to disconnect and will not accept more than 60 or 90 days notice, the reps don't seem to know which. They take 5 to 6 months to stop billing for services after the requested disconnect date. If you don't watch your bills and demand they stop billing, XO will continue billing forever. If you are not watching the billing you are getting ripped off. If you are allowing your agreements to auto renew, you are paying too much.

Review by efk See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Reliable connection at agreed upon speed. Prompt install."
Bad "Billing department is unresponsive"
Overall "Use caution!"

·WOW Internet and..
3x3 Business Ethernet. Smooth order and install. No equipment problems.

Negotiated and contractually agreed upon monthly cost was not initially honored, and I was charged significantly more. Inquiries to billing department by email and website portal were never answered. Phone calls did receive a response, but I am now 4 months into my contract, and the bill is just now showing the corrections. This is after multiple late notices and threats to disconnect.

Technically, it has been great; billing support is awful.

Comments:

Review by jhood

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom

XO is a good second to Speakeasy's support. If you can get to the tech
guys behind the phone tree, XO is really good.

Joseph L Hood

(review was emailed from domain quinnevans.com)

Comments:

Review by sandra-reyes

• Location: Purgato

I started to do a simple transaction for my boss on all 3 of his accounts -
which took 11 hours to complete - this was on Friday. I was transferred to
so many people put on hold for HOURS - until it was finally completed. I
made my complaint to my boss and advised him that XO Communication was not
good for him to keep and recommended that he switch.

Today being Wednesday just a few days past Friday I called back to ask one
question for him - how do you change the auto attendant - and guess what it
has been (so far) 3 hours and I'm still trying to find the answer out. I
have been transferred to so many people put on hold so much.

I would NOT recommend XO communication TO ANYONE not even my WORST enemy -
your customer service SUCKS and your employee's knowledge SUCKS - they don't
know how to do anything. I'm surprise you are still in business - but I
plan on passing the word to SEVERAL PEOPLE I KNOW

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by Weigelmepf See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "I have to call them to get better pricing or features"
Overall "10+ years Satisfied"

They do our Web hosting and our DSL-
Only a few minor problems in 10+ years and customer service is good about correcting them and keeping me informed

Comments:

Review by mlevinex86 See Profile

• Location: Carlsbad,San Diego,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Best price around, Good reliability"
Bad "Sometimes difficult to reach customer support"
Overall "Great value, lots of features, fast speeds"

Have had XO at several sites for years.

Any issues with connection have been due to the LEC (AT&T in most cases), not XO.

Consistently beat pricing and features offered by other providers - Cox, AT&T, CBeyond, Megapath, etc.

Customer support has been hard to reach in the past, but has improved significantly in the last year.

Overall a good choice and value.

Comments:

Review by ninjakid1 See Profile

• Location: Long Island City,Queens,NY
Good "On paper they sound good"
Bad "Support"
Overall "Stay Far Far away from XO"

After taking 4 months to get our 10MB pipe up and running I knew there should be no faith put into this company and this weekend proved it.

On Friday at about 4:20pm we lost service from XO so I call their support line and spend about 40 minutes on hold, while on hold I found a direct number to their tac center and get someone pretty fast, they open a ticket for me and say they will call back. An hour later I get a call they are sending a tech to my location, this sounds good so I wait about 2 hours for the tech to arrive. The tech comes and replaces the connection box used by XO and the line is still dead so the tech calls it in and we wait. About an hour later I find the tech fast asleep in my server room and I wake him up to find out what is going on, he said they are sending a tech to the data center to check on the problem and then he picks up his things and leaves.

A few hours later I call XO to get a status report of what is going on and I am told there is a tech there working on another problem and when he is done he will work on our problem. Ok Sounds good, 4 hours go by so I call XO again to get a status and again I am told there is a tech working on another problem and when he is done they will work on my problem. Ok 2 more hours go buy and I get a phone call from Verizon saying they are at the location to work on the dead circuit and need to be let in, I ask them where they are and they give me a location that is not one I know. The Verizon guy asks where I am and I told him, he says did you say New York and I said yes, he said well he is at the Columbian Embassy in Washington DC, I said you must have the wrong number then but he verifies my name and phone number and the name of his secondary contact which is the name of the person I work with and his phone number, he gives me a ticket of 1194559(number changed on purpose) my ticket with XO was 1194555 (number changed on purpose) so I call XO to see why they sent a tech to that location, The XO tech says they didn’t, I said well here is the ticket number can you tell me what that number is for, they reply it’s not there number their numbers begin with a 2 not a 1 then I ask well then why does my number begin with a 1 and not a 2 they said they don’t know but sometimes it can be a 1. I said well can you look up the number, they said no they can’t look up ticket numbers which I find surprising since they looked up my number and got all the information from it. I guess they think I’m as stupid as they are, I really wonder if they think saying that made any sense but hey I guess not, I can’t be that smart I used XO as a provider.

To make a long story short we are not without service for about 48 hours and XO can only tell me that they have a tech going to the location and that is all that they know, I said but I was told there was a tech at the location and how is it possible to have a data center with no on site tech crew? They said the notes only say there is a tech dispatched and that is all they know, I wonder how they even know that since they claim they can’t view ticket numbers but I guess that is another story, needless to say come Monday morning a new ISP provider I will be seeking.

Comments:

Review by IT broadband See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party XO Communications
Good "Good Value for your Money"
Bad "Customer Care takes a long time however you have access to a online web portal to bypass calling cx care"
Overall "We are very happy with our service"

I have a company with 25 employees. We were using 17 Lines & DSL with AT&T. The service was good with AT&T, however; our business was growing and so was our AT&T bill. Before we signed with XO, we also recieved proposals from Telepacific, Mpower, and CBeyond. All the proposals were very similar, however; XO was able to provide a True Flat Rate that provided 1 Toll Free Number, 17 Phone Lines, and 2 Internet T1's for 3Mbps AND FREE Nationwide & FREE Incoming Toll Free Usage. They even provided us an online web portal to make changes on our account without having to contact customer care. We had XO for over 12 months now and the service has been up 100% (knock on wood). I would probably say the best thing about XO is that there were able to reduce our monthly bill and also upgrade our communications to T1 service. We already referred 2 customers to XO and they credited our account $500 each time as a thank you. I would recommend XO to anyone.......Call my sales rep @ XO (213-607-4007). I guarantee he will provide you with any solution you're looking for and give you free advice.

Comments:

Review by mrbiker See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Always up (99% plus)"
Bad "Service changes take forever!"
Overall "Once we were set up, we were happy"

I switched our company to XO in October of 2001. We moved in June of 2005 and renewed for 3 years.

We have all phone lines and internet service with XO. That includes local and long distance minutes. We have 18 lines on a T1 along with 1.5Gb data service.

We've had 3 outages in 5 years, 2 were short, the third was for 6 hours. Every time, they got right on it and got it fixed. They always follow up with a call and never close a ticket unless you are happy - or don't respond to at least two follow up calls.

If you want to change your service, they tell you it can take up to 30 days - and they ain't kidding!

I got stuck in the auto-renew clause on the first contract - though I didn't mind, I don't like being fooled, either.

So our costs are flat rate - we never pay more for service than promised except for international calls.

So the phone and internet service has been great and the technical service has been great.

Our complaints are minimal and as of July '07, I'd recommend these guys to anyone.

Comments:

Review by edamon See Profile

• Location: Marina Del Rey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Wickedly fast - having come from ygnition which sucks.. this xo has been great. 600 Kilobytes down..."
Bad "none so far."
Overall "Great deal for the money."

For the last 2 years I've been stuck with ygnition.com -- as the property I live that made some backroom deal with them. They had 3 T1 lines to support a complex that is 40 acres and 1000 units.. you do the math. Fastest speeds were 600kbps -- and only in the middle of the night. Latency made online games unplayable, as it was in the 150-200ms range on average.

Finally, consolidated bought out multiband to offer the directv service here and decided to offer broadband over the coax they now own.

Consolidated resells XO.com for their broadband.

For $5 bucks LESS a month than ygnition, I got a 5mbps down - 768kbps upload connection vs. 200-600kbps down / 300-500kbps up with ygnition. Couldn't be happier. Downloading at 600-620KB/sec vs 50-70KB/sec is like night and day.

The modem was installed 2 days after the order was placed. Can't beat that stick with a snake....

member for 13.7 years, 331 visits, last login: 6.1 years ago