Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by mligeza7 See Profile

• Location: Smiths Falls,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "slow to repsond to problems"
Overall "Good Solid service"

Considered Cable but I had a service problem with the cable company in my area. Cable company is Cogeco and they are a real Mickey Mouse company.

I've been with Sympatico now for 10 years. Can't say that I have had any real problems with them.

Comments:

Review by Kardinal See Profile

• Location: N of 49th
Good "Rock solid for over fifteen years (since the 1MM was cutting edge!)"
Bad "tech support can be clueless, continuous price increases"
Overall "price gouging = lost customer"

·TekSavvy DSL
I was on the list of people who ordered SHSE before it was available on the market, and it was connected Dec 29th, 1998. I got a Nortel modem which I'm still using, and in over four years I've had a total of 6 interruptions of service for a total of about 9 hours.

When the service was first connected it was DHCP, but converted over to PPPoE in the summer of 1999. The conversion was painless, and for a period of two weeks you could connect using either protocol.

The mail service has had a few hiccups for others, but my access has always worked. I'm still using the Nortel modem I got in 1998 because I can't be bothered going through the hassle of changing the modem (nor do I feel the need to scream at some poor CR just to get another 10kbps in dl speed, unlike some people).

The tech support people are scripted, and sometimes aren't too keen to deviate from the script, but if you are polite to them they will help if they can, or pass you to someone else if the cannot. I've called up several times over the years, and have yet to have anyone be rude to me. I read many reviews where it is stated that the people at support are clueless, but I think that might be more a reflection on the tone the user had with the CR than anything else.

In short: If you want a stable connection with a simple hookup process (no waiting for a tech to show up), then IMHO you can't go wrong with SHSE. The dl caps can be a pain (or a nasty surprise, come bill date), but those are evolving again it seems, so we'll have to wait and see how it ends up. They have only affected me once so far, and that was more of a surprise than an angry shock.

**Update Oct 2003***

I called in August to change platforms once the upgrade was complete. It took four days for my new Speedstream to arrive (complete with four filters). My Nortel (of almost five years) went dark the next day and the Speedstream is was up and running. It gets rather warm and doesn't have feet to stand on it's side, but otherwise all is fine. My connection is maxing out (since I'm only about 700m from my CO) for speed up and down and everything was smooth in the transition.

With the speed upgrade, the painless platform transition and the removal of the throughput caps, I remain a satisfied customer.

****Update Nov 2004*****

I got the speed upgrade during last winter/spring and now have 3008/800 sync that has yet to disconnect on me. Everything is still smooth sailin and the fact that the bill is now bundled with my wireless service and wireline gives me an extra discount overall and great LD pricing too.

In short: I'm coming up on six years with SHSE, I'm still a happy camper.

*****Update Aug 2007*********

I've been at 5056/800 since the upgrade last year (or was it the year before that). I've had a couple of minor problems that I traced to a loose wire in a jack (ie/ not Sympatico's fault) and other than that my service has been rock solid.

*****Update Oct 2010********

I'm now on a 7M sync rate for a 6M IP speed, it's still steady and I'm still perfectly happy with it. Fibe is finally coming here so I might be looking at a higher speed in the future.

*****Update Dec 2013******

Bell Internet is now gone, after 15 years of steady service, as their price increases drove me away. Solid service but continuous increases in monthly cost without any improvements/additions to the service (eg/ increases in usage limits)

member for 13.8 years, 6504 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by qzcgd See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Speed of the internet is incredible, TV service is great"
Bad "Customer service and technical support are both horrible"
Overall "Bell Fibe is great if you don't have any problems"

Full disclosure : I am a Bell employee. I work in a retail store and sell the products I am reviewing right now. However this review reflects my personal opinion and not that of Bell or any of its subsidiaries.

The products I have are

* Fibe 50/50

* Unlimited bandwidth

* Basic HD

* A la carte 15

* HD PVR

The price I have indicated is the normal price, with no employee discount, including Quebec taxes)

I have had Bell products for a long time. I used to have old DSL Sympatico "Performance" which was 7mbps (I got an actual 4) and Bell ExpressVu (the satellite service, which never properly worked as the initial installation was done poorly). I point that out because I want to make sure everyone understands my experience with Bell has sometimes been less than enjoyable, but I can't really switch because the employee discount is a pretty big advantage.

I got my service installed about a year and a half ago. Being in a brand new area with FTTH cabling, the installation took a total of 30 minutes. The technician offered a tutorial for the TV which I refused, but he did program the remote to control my TV. During those 18 months, I have only had one complete outage (that I noticed at least), which turned out to be neighbourhood-wide. However my experience with technical support was less than positive.

I called at around 11PM and talked to someone located in Ottawa (surprising, as during the day I always spoke to someone in Tunisia...). I explained that I had absolutely no connection to the internet, that my neighbour, who is also with Bell, didn't have it either. The TV had also stopped working. I had tried to restart the modem, check the b1, everything; but it just wouldn't work. Guy starts looking around at stuff, changing settings but he just can't get it the work. At this point, my cellphone indicates I have been on the phone for about 35 minutes. The technician on the line tells me he can't help me, and that he'll have to transfer me to a level 2 tech. I get put on hold for around 5 minutes and when he comes back I am told that "no level 2 technician is available", and that I'll get a callback the next day. I ask if I can hold for a level 2 technician, but am told that is not possible and I'll get a call back.

The next morning, the internet is fixed but the TV still doesn't work. I don't really watch TV, and it's the summer so hockey hasn't started, so I decide to actually wait for the callback. I waited one week and it simply never came. That sucks. I called back and they fixed the TV in about 5 minutes.

Even though my internet problem was fixed, when I am told I will get a callback, I expect one. My experience is consistent with that of many clients I have tried to help in store.

In short, the services provided by Bell (especially for FTTH customers) are amazing. I have constant above-package speeds, on WiFi. The TV service is great, picture quality is what you'd expect, the features are fine, lots of on-demand stuff. If Bell could simply improve their customer service and technical support, they'd have a complete winner

Comments:
mintaka905

join:2006-11-03
Holland Landing, ON

install

30 min install... right,, ya sure.

W1LL

@bell.ca

Re: install

Why not 30 min ? He said he lives in a new development which has FTTH already. I guess the wiring is already in the house, so 30 minutes to hook up a router and plug a decoder box to a TV sounds about right.
I'm getting my 50/50 in 2 days. No Fibe wiring in my house yet, they said 2-4 hours install.

Review by Mr_Newb See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable service, consistant speeds"
Bad "Billing nightmares, 2 price increases in less than 6 months, uninformed staff"
Overall "I would pay 25% more to go with anyone but Bell"

·Bell Fibe
My experience with Bell has been terrible. I was pressured into getting 3 services (Phone, internet, TV) because I wanted TV. While I love the new Fibe TV, being with Bell is not worth having TV. I have had to call every month, for random erroneous charges, wasting an hour or more each time. No one ever apologizes or credits me. My bill has been raised twice now in 5 months, I now pay $10 more than they said I would originally.

member for 12.7 years, 1197 visits, last login: 326 days ago

Comments:

Review by Mister_E See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Reliability, Speed, Direct Tech Support Forum here on DSLR"
Bad "Cost of Services provided - i.e. Speeds, Caps and outsourced phone techs that don't appear to have any tech background"
Overall "Have to consider the alternatives..."

Update: 10/2013

Now on Fibe25. Speeds are as advertised - 25Mbps Up / 10Mbps Down. Rock solid reliability. Cap was raised and still sufficient for me as I've never gone over - however, as I've stated before, for the cost, the caps should not exist and services should be better.

Update: 03/2012

Still with Fibe16. Still satisfied with the speed and the cap is still sufficient for my needs, but in 2012, the price is no longer worth the service provided. IMO, either the price should be lower for this type of package, or the package should be upgraded (higher speed, larger cap).

However, considering the alternatives and their pricing, the grass isn't much greener elsewhere either (but I'm definitely considering my options).

Can't be beat for reliability - it just works. IIRC, I've only had 1 outage in the last 5 years that lasted all of ~2 hours (other than a failed 2Wire 2701HG-G/Power Adapter).

Haven't had to deal with Tech Support other than for the failed power adapter, which went smoothly since the situation provided the phone tech no other option (although they did have to patch me through to a 'higher level' tech to confirm the failure).

Replacement modem was provided within a few days, but I have an older Thomson Speedtouch that held me over (ADSL1 only at 8Mb). By using the older modem, my profile had been downgraded, but that was quickly corrected through the Bell Direct forum here on DSLReports (still the preferred way to speak to a tech that actually knows what they're doing, IMO).

Update: 03/2010

Have since upgraded to the 16Mb plan (now called Fibe16) using their 2Wire 2701HG router/modem and paying $2 more I paid before. Quite happy with the speed, but would be nice if they maximized the upload speed on this ADSL2 package as well.

Reliability still excellent.

Unfortunately, I now have a 100GB monthly cap, but my typical usage is under that limit so it hasn't been a factor. Throttling hasn't impacted me significantly, but again, it would be nice if they stopped this practice.

Original Review:

Been with Bell for a long time (since Aug. 2000 and started with the Nortel 1Mb modem) and happy for the most part - extremely rare to see any service disruptions.

Currently on a 6Mbps / 800Kbps profile using a Speedstream 5200 (E240) and getting those speeds - would likely qualify for a higher profile but would likely end up losing my old grandfathered (read: unlimited) plan. My usage isn't that high though and I may consider moving up to a higher speed anyhow.

They were better in the past before the throttling and caps - hopefully they'll change their ways once they see enough people drop their service(s).

I rarely need tech support but have dealt with their phone support on occasion or when helping out friends/family - phone support is horrible, but I've been able to bypass the first level techs most of time (just give them enough technical details and they'll usually move you on once you request to speak to a higher level). Of course, the direct support forum here on DSLR is invaluable.

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Not to date"
Bad "very bad customer service, Expensive, Cheap equippement"
Overall "Why this company still in operation is beyond me."

·ELECTRONICBOX
·Videotron
They ordered the service before I started to work for the company.
They send us 2 defective modem so it take 1 month to have a connection.
We had a contract the first year. We wanted to cancel after the first year, but the CSR had made an error. The CSR forgot ton cancel the service for an unknown reason, they admit it, but refused to cancel the "new" automatic contract. We stayed with them 1 more year, we could have gone to the court, but felt this was simpler to stay with them.

The second year we added a router. the router never worked with their "cheap" modem, I say cheap because of low quality of construction. They never understand why we wanted to add a router, nor why the modem wasn't working with it. they refused to give us support because we was using a router. We finally borrowed another dsl modem to find out that the problem was with their modem. They send us 4 modems, but we only received 1, they lost to order for modem replacement, (so it took 3 month to receive a working modem from them.

The modem is speedstream 5200 or 4200 (reconditioned and not always in working state)

We used their low speed dsl service (the line was good ans stable)

The main problem is with their CSR, not speaking French or English, and having for most of it, no knowledge at all in computer technologies (we talk to some CSR that had no idea what was a router, nor what was a pppoe connection and that's pretty basic technology today)

--- updates from another experience ---

Another problem with one of my friends. It was paying for their 6mbps package and was feeling is Internet was slow. He call many time the customer department to see why it was not really fast and they say everything was fine and he was receiving 6mbps service. Last month I took one of my modem to his house because the speedtest was showing only 2mbps. He is only 500meter of the CO. the attenuation in upstream and downstream was 6db / 8db the SNR value was 34 db for downstream and the RCO was 12% occupancy. So we call Bell to tell that. The first CSR was insisting that he was on 6mb profiles and that my modem was "defective" the second one tell me that it was an incompatible model (I have an ST516 v6) and that using another modem then what bell give was illegal. We finally talked to a third one that explain us that it is an up to 6mbps service and that bad electrical apparel inside the house on inside the neighbour house is preventing us from going faster. They all refuse to admit that the line quality taken from the ST516 was good.

He only wait is contract finish to go to a third party DSL provider.

-- Updates from another experience --

One of my friends took Bell internet last year. He call for numerous spped problem and everytime they tell him everything was good and that he was receiving the speed he was paying for.

Eventually someone tell him to do a speed test on www.speedtest.net and testvitesse.videotron.ca with is new "proof" of 120kbps of download and 120kbps of upload he call back and asked why it was so slow...

The CSR told him that all test on internet was inacurate and that it was really receiving the speed he was paying for.

I gone to his house with my st516 modem and took a dmt tool screen shot of his line. He was sync at 160/160 or something like that (doesn't remember the exact number), then he call back Bell with the "new proof" The CSR then told him this was possible that he see this number but that it was unrelated to the "download speed" and advised him it was illegal to do such thing and he could be fine if a Bell technician go home and found he was using an illegal not approved modem.

Enough was enough he decided to call back next day to cancel is service and then go with teksavvy internet. The CSR told him it was not recommended to do that because Teksavvy and any other Independent ISP was illegally using the bell network and he considered that kind of company "pirate" and he could get trouble technicaly and legally if he decided to go that route.

I don't know exactly what he tell him to convince him to stay with bell , but he now have a 2 year contract with them.

-- Updates from another experience --
Just finished porting my home phone to my voip provider. This month will be my last Bell bill. Just waiting BHell to call me As expected Bell screwed my lines... more to come soon

-- Updates from my porting --
They finally call me. They asked why I leaved bell and what can they do to regain me as a customer. Why do they wait their client leave to try make something to please him, I don't know. The CSR argued a lot about my decision. Voip.ms is not good because this is voip and it won't work at all. It's only 1$ because they are thief and pirate the Bell network, so it's easy to only charge 1$ when you have nothing to pay. I may have problem with justice if I continue to use this pirate network... After 10 minutes of this bullshit, he finally say. it's your decision, great if it's ok for you. Hope we will regain you as a customer in the feature, have a good day.

My only regret is that I hadn't recorded the phone call

--- update from my friend experience. ---
He called Bell some years ago because a tree was dangerously close to bell line. 4 years and after numerous call bell never came to cut the tree or move the line and now he begin to lost internet and phone service with heavy wind because the line is now inside the tree. tree grown and surrounded the cable. He call to get the line repair. After 5 tentative someone finally came in a call sunny day and found no problem, so they charge us 100$ because the problem must be inside home.

He called back and they refuse to remove the 100$ as the technician haven't found the problem with the line so it must be inside. After explaining the "tree" problem. they finally agreed to remove the charge and send back a technician. After 3 tentative they finally came, found no problem and he got flagged again with 100$ charge. He was really mad the next time he called and insisted to get someone to rectify the situation before the end of the week. They finally never came, he call back again to say that if no one came today he will finally go to their competitor. He hang up gone to videotron to get info about their voip phone, he finally get a phone from videotron, but found that bell have cancelled his services without prior notice, so he lost internet connection and his phone number. it's now impossible to get back is number and he receive a 200$ charge for two call of service (and the line still inside the tree so other people will still have problem) They simply decided to terminate is service without notice, probably just so he can't port is phone number. He never asked to cancel is service

He said to me he will never go back to bell for any services.

I really don't understand why you can lie so much and still legally be in business.

member for 12 years, 2070 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "None."
Bad "Unreliable service, well below advertised speeds. High costs, with unexpected additional charges. TERRIBLE Customer Support."
Overall "It was a nightmare which continued for years."

Because I taught piano at home, many years ago Bell told me I must have Business Phone and Internet, which costs a lot! They failed to advice me later, but still many years ago, that the rules had changed, and I'd be OK with just a residential line.

The hardest part was Customer Service. I spoke to operators in India, whom I had difficulty understanding, and who screamed at me, blaming me for the problems I had encountered with Bell's services, and refusing to give me their employee ID. It seems they want to get you to lose your cool; they can then try to say that it's all your fault! Several hung up on me. The worst part was being put on "hold" for 90 minutes, then having your call redirected to yet another department for another 90 minute wait, and after several departments, finally being told "it's your fault", or "Everything is OK, whatever your complaints are", or "We always value feedback from our customers. Please wait while I switch you to somebody else." Despite the nature of any attempted communications, even when I phoned to cancel all services, the conversation ended with, "Thank you for choosing Bell!" (Duh? I thought I just unchose Bell!)

The hardest part was changing my location, within Ontario. It resulted in more than 2 weeks with neither internet nor phone, even though all details of the relocation had been provided months before.

When I tried to discontinue my internet service with Bell, while keeping my web-hosting, then "accidentally" did just the opposite! I have no idea of the cost of their mistake, in lost business for me, during the most active week of new business activities in the year.

Once I was away from Bell, they pestered me with phone calls, about the new internet package and phone line I had ordered, but needed to be confirmed by phone. NO...I WOULD NEVER REQUEST AS MUCH AS A BUSY SIGNAL FROM THEM!

Their web-hosting? I never managed the uploads I tried to make to my website, because their upload speed just couldn't handle it. In addition, the email addresses provided with the web-hosting were full of spam, viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, etc. Apparently they still lack any effective filtering system.

They SOLD me a special phone number, pretty close to what I would have considered perfect for my purposes! But 4 out of 5 calls are to parties who previous owned the number. Everyone is now trying to order pizza or furnace parts. If it's not business, it's for Mr. Hokenon, who once had this number. The most obnoxious are the calls I receive 2 to 5 times daily from telemarketers. I love the phone number, but if my next phone company can't help me to weed out the unwanted calls, I'd rather go with any phone number.

In my years of complaints, Bell never once checked the lines into my home.

They promised me "compensation" for the unending problems they had caused, but I haven't received one red cent.

I've NEVER been happier to say goodbye to a company!

Comments:

Review by epy0nxl See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Unlimited, very little downtime...that's it"
Bad "slow speeds, expensive, tech support is limited, "
Overall "Either try to get a good deal or switch out for something better"

Have been with Sympatico for as long as I can remember...must be like 8years+

Still have their legacy 6/1 unlimited package. It was great back in the day. But that's what it is, an old school package. Speeds are slow!! I didn't know my speed was that slow until I did some research and tried even just 15/3.

It's expensive, getting better deals is hard, if at all possible. New deals now don't come with unlimited and buying more bandwidth costs an arm and a leg. Their only saving grace is being unlimited with very little down time. Plan is linked with long distance phone (for a bundle discount)

I'm hoping to be able to get a better deal somehow or might as well look else where for better speeds and bandwidth.

You may notice I have reviewed Teksavvy as well. No I don't have 2 ISPs in the same household. This is at another house.

Comments:

Review by Beaugrand See Profile

• Location: Acton Vale,QC
Good "Modem Gratuit"
Bad "Lent, congestion, vitesse lente (5mbps le max), prix non compétitif, service à la clientèle horrible"

·Cogeco Cable
Pendant 3 ans j'étais avec Bell Sympatico sur le plan Dsl 7 qui est devenu dsl 6 et devenu dsl 5 .. on avait de la misère a m'offrir mon 5 megabits par seconde alors qu'il y a deux ans javais mon 7 megabits dans le tapis a la même adresse .. On ma changer mon sync sans changer mon plan !! (je payais pour Dsl 7 avec les frais exorbitant et on m'as mis un sync de 5.4/0.6

Bell a Acton Vale où je réside, c'est adsl1 seulement.. pas de FTTN .. pas pour rien que j'ai switcher avec cogeco 10mbps

Max

Comments:

Review by stephen d8 See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "`"
Bad "All the rest"
Overall "Try to avoid them and all of bells resellers"

·TekSavvy DSL
I have had multiple problems with there service/hardware.

1. The modem/router they send are VERY VERY bad.
2. Outsourcing techsupport meaning bad tech support.
3. Route Tracing is bad.
4. Pings are high
5. TechSupport are misinformed
6. Various miscoulanious error/bugs

Thats all i have to say.

Comments:

Cynic

@lhsc.on.ca

Bell DSL - bad to worse

Bell sympatico (as in, someone should feel sorry for anyone using this service?) DSL for 18 years in an old neighbourhood. At the time we were 'cutting edge' high speed (non-modem) as a test neighbourhood. A few years back when paying for 2MBs speed we were getting much slower speeds so called Bell and they 'upgraded' us to 5 MBs speed. We never got more than 3. Last summer called and complained. They denied any knowledge of upgrading us previously to a higher speed - even though we had been paying more for a higher speed service, which we weren't getting close to (read the fine print - speeds up to......). They worked some magic electronically, came out to look at local hardware (I'm not a techie so don't know the lingo) and promised improved speeds. For a few days we got close to 3 MBs speeds - the best we've ever had.
We've been calling almost every month since and the reasons we get are almost comical.
First it a faulty power cord for the DSL modem. Replaced but no better.
Then it was something they could do from their end. Speeds ranged from 0.05 MBs (if I could even access the website to do a speed test without timing out) to 2.5 Mbs (rarely), average probably 1.5 MBs. Never better than 2.5 MBs.
Then it was a faulty modem. They said it must have been a refurbished one that they supplied us with in the beginning (a year or two ago they replaced our old modem as it was outdated). OK. They sent a new modem. It had a 'refurbished' sticker on the side of it. Hilarious. Hooked up - speeds still 1-2 MBs.
Then it was something they could do from their end again - flip a switch, grease some wires, cajole some electrons and they promised (PROMISED) that our speeds would be no less than 3 MBs (which as pathetic as that is - our Neighbours on Rogers are getting 20 Mbs) I would have accepted. Since then speeds.....0.5 to 2 MBs.
So - apart from feeling better for having ranted, and perhaps warning anyone and everyone away from Bell, anyone know when FibreOptic will be rolled out into older neighbourhoods in north London (south of Fanshawe, west of Richmond). Otherwise I am going to have to switch to Rogers.
Currently it is literally faster for me to get in my car and drive to work (10 minutes drive for 98 MBs speeds) to do anything requiring downloading, than it is to wait at home for the browser to load pages......
Sign me ---- Sympatico-loco.