Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by virago83 See Profile

• Location: Osgoode,ON
Good "Always works!"
Bad "Cost of service, shadey sales practices"
Overall "Costs more than it should but it works all the time"

Will start by saying that I have been a Bell customer for many years. In more recent years was using Bell Sympatico's "Performance Plan" which basically gave me 25G of download per month and although I can't recall the download speed, was acceptable for my use. Then around Sept. 2011 while browsing Bell website I noted that the "performance" plan I was on, no longer existed and Bell was now pushing their various flavors of "Fibe". I contacted Bell and asked to be switched to the Fibe 15/10 Plan which now gives me 80G of download and faster speeds for about same price. A Bell Tech showed up within next few days and set up my new modem, no hassles. I'm getting close to the advertised download speeds which is double what I previously had so no complaints.

What burns me about Bell is that their services, whether its POTS, Internet or Television, is its too expensive. When I call to speak to representative, it's impossible to get anyone who speaks real "Canadian" English. You have to keep on top of your monthly bills because Bell will screw you every which way they can. I've been thinking seriously about switching to another company for phone/internet, ex. Distributel, Techsavvy, etc. to save money but I read as many negative reviews as positive ones. This worries me to no end because as much as I hate Bell's monopoly and costs, I do have to say that their services do work as advertised! My television service is always there, my phone line has NEVER encountered problems and my internet has never crashed or slowed to an unacceptable level. Guess its the old saying: "You get what you pay for"

Comments:

Review by HackneyB See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Reliable service for the last 10 years"
Bad "avg. 5-10 phone calls to get any service changes right. Pricing not competitive."
Overall "Stable service but constant struggle to keep price low and changes done right."

Customer since late 90s. Never had stability problems with the service. $110 monthly cost includes two services - Internet and phone.

Pricing not competitive if you're in for the long haul - one deal lasting 12 months does not really count when you revert to fairly high pricing model after that. No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty. I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year.

Customer service and tech support was always polite but impossibly ineffective. Any changes equal days or weeks of follow up calls. Waiting for the billing to reflect changes. Waiting for unforseen scheduling for service changes. Getting told that the team you just spent 40 minutes waiting for, does not do what you need done. In total, every query or service change may translate into several phone calls and add up to hours spent on the phone.

Recent highlight - when unable to confirm some information or task, some Bell reps actually say they will call back and follow up on the promise which is a welcome contrast to most customer service organizations.

Comments:
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Fibe

Loyalty

"No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty."

You are correct. In my experience, and the experience of my friends, quite the opposite is true: you must switch regularly to get decent rates. If you are only getting $5 off /month then you need to switch.

"I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year."

I've asked people in retentions why they put me through this dance every year. I was told that this is just the system and that in the future I should just jump straight to retentions and not waste my time with the front line people who can't dole out the 'real' deals.

The whole system seems very wasteful to me, not to mention that I feel bad for elder, and less aggressive people who pay so much more then the rest of us. I wish they would just publish one set of (competitive) rates and be done with it.

Review by gyp_sy See Profile

Good "Rock-solid 25/7 all day."
Bad "Low caps, as we all know. 125GB on a 25Mbit plan, really?"
Overall "OK if you get a deal on it, otherwise not worth the $ at the regular price given the caps."

Update 03/01/2013: I moved back to Mississauga and had it transferred on 28/12/2012. The appointment was made a week in advance and a very friendly and knowledgeable tech showed up, one of the best I've dealt with from Bell. Service was set up in about 4 hours due to wiring issues between the street box and the demarc (contractors ripped the line up a year prior and the new line was not properly connected on the street). A new dry-loop number was assigned as part of the move. I asked that my profile be raised to 25/10 from the default 25/7 (to which it reset as part of the move) and my wish was granted (did I mention how amazing that tech was?); although the strength is not enough for full 10mbit sync, I do get a solid 9mbit. Solid service since, much as expected. Price remains the same. Cap remains unreasonable... come on Bell, even Rogers are beating you on it.. to say nothing of TPIA.

----------------------

Update 20/07/2012: I moved to Brampton July 1st and set up a new installation at the new location. Time from order to installation was approximately a week, due to technician availability as well as my own. At install time, I was unhappy to hear Bell would charge a $99 fee to run a fresh line from the demarc to the modem, something Rogers/Tek Cable provide free of charge. I will dispute this when the bill shows up. The package is 25/10 now, the remote is ~2000ft from my residence. If I keep my inside wiring short, my upload is spot-on. The throughput/bandwidth quality is rock-solid so far, no complaints. The modem is another Sagemcom 2864. I received a new 12-month promo, this time at 35.97/month. I was unable to avoid the $50 activation fee (which, along with the $99 above raises my setup fee to a whopping $149!). Cap remains the same at 125GB.

----------------------

Update 21/12/2011: they tried to hit me with a $50 one-time modem rental fee. Sneaky sneaky Bell, think I don't check my bill? 15-min phonecall cleared it up, no other billing screwups to report (yet). Service has been mostly solid - a few disconnects, but nothing lasting more than 2-3 minutes.

----------------------

It's a Fibe 25 install with 125GB cap. VDSL all day every day.

I've been hooked up with the Sagemcom 2864 modem. The remote I'm on is something like 500m from my home, so signal is nice and strong. Installed the POTS splitter and handled the wiring myself (have a fairly complicated setup), tech was more than glad to let me do it

It took about 7 days from order to installation, the tech arrived in the scheduled timeslot, things went smooth (both with this and with the previous Fibe 6 install I had). I've heard a TON of horror stories about Bell, but I really can't say anything bad about them so far. There's been no downtime and no issues in about a month.

Wait times for billing and sales were very short basically every time I called (under 10min); the reps were courteous, though not all that knowledgeable.

I *do* wish the Sagemcom gave us linestats.. but of course, the more Bell can keep its customers in the dark, the better =). Just increases the load on callcenters if you ask me, you take away the option of community support (which DSLR is oh-so-fantastic at providing).

I can't rate tech support as I haven't had to deal with them yet. I hope I never do.

Value for money is calculated at the rate I'm currently getting (33.48). There was no installation fee, there are no other fees beside the monthly charge.

Comments:

Famer Chuck

@teksavvy.com

Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I take it you haven't got your first bill yet? Get used to being on the phone for hours a day trying to get your bill adjusted. Count your "man-hours" in those 12 months and how much you make an hour at work. Then figure out your losses.
gyp_sy

join:2010-07-05
·Bell Sympatico

Re: Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I did actually, showed up just as expected (regular phoneline + the 33.48). However like I said, I've heard tons of horror stories, both on here and from close friends, so it's very possible I just got very lucky =P

Luck or not though, for now I ain't complaining.
kiwibri

join:2011-10-26
Canada

Hi,
I was wondering what modem you get with a Bell Fibe 25 install? Is it the same one used for the Fibe TV? I am considering BELL Fibe 25 Only.
thanks
ariesmk

join:2009-07-03

Re: Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I just got Fibe 25, and the tech told me they're pretty much only using the sagemcom now. Its actually a pretty decent modem/router combo, the only downside is that it doesn't have line stats.
Jurjen

join:2010-08-18

billing & stats

Just wait until they start fooling around with bills (like when the traffic counter starts being bogus), then the fun really begins.

If you want stats, consider buying your own 2Wire modem. It's VDSL too, but just know that it's not compatible with all of Bell's SLAM hardware. It might work, it might not. But for a few bucks, you might find yourself a nice deal on Kijiji. TP-link is supposed to have some decent VDSL modem too, but I didn't read any reviews from Bell-cabled users yet.
gyp_sy

join:2010-07-05

Re: billing & stats

Do you happen to have the model number for this 2Wire modem? The only stuff I know by them is regular ADSL modems (of the 2701 variety).
Jurjen

join:2010-08-18

Re: billing & stats

I don't know the 2Wires very well, but I thought I read people being hookup with that for their Fibe25, so that's why I figured it must the VDSL.

My apologies if I drew a wrong conclusion.

Review by maats See Profile

• Location: Frankford,ON
Good "Solid connection, Reliable, Short wait time to contact someone"
Bad "Installation, Tech knowledge, Price, Promises not kept from Sales Reps"
Overall "Dependable once your up and running"

I had Bell Fibe 5/1 service. I ordered the service for 2 Aug 12. I was given a 6 hour window for installation. About 1100 hrs I noticed the Bell truck down the street and went to talk to the guy to see when he was coming to install my internet. He said I wasnt on the list and he was the only one working in the area that day. I said I had a fast dial tone on my line and he said you are probably already connected and gave me a 2 Wire modem and said to call Bell and get connected. I called Bell and told them the story and to make a long story short, I was up and running about 6 hours later. I was pissed about being told I had an appointment and the reality was that there never was an appointment. After that the internet worked flawlessly and I was getting 6/1 service.

4 Dec 12. I spoke with a rep online and asked if I qualify for the 15/10 service. He said that I did. I asked if I would get better than the 1 Mb upload I am current getting. He told me that my line would get close to the 10 Mb upload. I asked to be upgraded to the new service. I was on a promotion for 50% off with the other service until end of Jan 13. He told me that it would nullify that promotion and I would pay $49/Month in a Bell bundle. I figures the 10 Mb upload would be worth it. This is the series of events that followed.

5 Dec. Bell requests 6 hour installation window. Bell techs install new Sagecom Modem and leave. Download 10 Mb Upload 800 Kbps down. I call tech support and they said they need to send another tech out to my house. Need a 6 hour appointment window.

7 Dec. Bell sends out a technician and says the best my line will do in 11 / 1. I tell him I was promised by online reps after multiple tests that I would get at least 15/7. He says that its impossible.

8 Dec. A tech said he was working in he local area and ask if I would mind if he looked into my trouble tickets. He switched me from a ADSL to VDSL profile. Resulting in 7/.7 speed. He seemed very knowledgeable and helpful and then after working on it for 3 hours, he stopped all communication. the next day I called tech support to see what was going on. I was told that they couldnt see my modem and didnt know why I was connected. I told them about the speed I was getting and they said they would dispatch a tech the next day and needed another 6 hour window. They asked if I had a POTS splitter installed and I said no. They told me I needed one to get the advertised speeds. So once again I gave a 6 hr window. In the mean time I took the modem and connected it directly to the demarcation point and i got 15/1 service. I left the phone disconnected and only attached the modem to the jack. Solid 15/1 service. I called back tech support and told them I definitely needed the POTS spitter.

10 Dec. A tech showed up and installed the POTS spitter and everything was working. Telephones and Internet. 15/1 service. I called tech support and asked to have my upload speed increased to 10 Mb. They told my the best I could do was 1 Mb upload. I told them I was promised higher speed. They said they couldnt do anything. I had enough of dealing with Bell. I hung up the phone and took a shower. I came back the computer and ran a speedtest and now was getting 1Mg down and .1 Mg Upload. I called tech support and told them my speed has decreased. They said they would have to send another tech the following day with another 6 hr window. I was furious, but what can you do.

11 Dec. I received a phone msg saying the internet was fixed now and everything should be back to normal. I did a speed test and it was 1/.1. I called tech support and told them that I was back on the ADSL profile and that I should be on VDSL and have higher speeds. They told me that I should be on the ADSL profile and that they couldnt do anything about it. I asked them to change the setting to see if it made a difference. They complied and said they made the change. I didnt see the modem reset and asked if they reset it. They didnt understand why it didnt reset. The tech told me the name of my modem. I told them my modem is called something different. Turns out my connection was on the wrong port and they didnt know what port it was on and couldnt make any changes. Seriously, what do you do at this point. Guess what, another tech needs to be dispatched and another 6 hour window. I asked what kind of company calls a customer and leaves a msg saying everything is working and doesnt follow up to ensure the service. Poor communication.

12 Dec. I didnt bother to stay home because I knew that that issue was at the CO. When I got home, the Bell tech called to ensure that it was working. Speed is now a solid 15/1 service. I am so pissed off with this fiasco, I am considering cancelling my subscription and going with someone else. I will provide an update if I remain with this company at a later date.

Comments:

Review by waynecbaker See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Steady Internet connection"
Bad "A data transfer cap with overage fees"
Overall "A good Internet connection"

·Cogeco Cable
Bell Fibe Internet 15/10 accounts have a download speed of up to 15 megabits per second, an upload speed of up to 10 megabits per second and a data transfer allowance, or cap, of 75 gigabytes per month.

The unbundled price is $54 a month, but there is a $4 discount if you are also a subscriber to both local and long distance telephone service from Bell Canada.

My e-mail account was set up with the e-mail address of my choice during the installation process.

The Internet connection offers consistent download speeds and the e-mail service is quite reliable.

Comments:

Review by ns1225 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Speed is as advertised, 16Mb/s on Fibe 16"
Bad "Low usage cap of 90GB, possibly even lower"

Fairly good service on Bell Fibe 16Mbps down and 7Mbps upload. The price is high considering rate hikes and low usage caps so that sums up the huge negatives of Bell services. You've been warned.

The upsides are that it is a fast and reliable connection and not a single issue was experienced for the whole time I was a customer.

Comments:

Review by judgeprophet See Profile

• Location: Delson,QC
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "No network improvement in my region"
Overall "Expensive and ignore long time customer"

·Acanac
·ELECTRONICBOX
I was with them since around 2000 to 2008, (Dial-up). They did nothing to improved their network. Since i'm far from the central, i'm still at 2mb/sec MAX, at least the reseller can offer me unlimited transfert. And at the time the pricing wasn't competitive!

I have big hope for Fibe

Comments:

Review by Jack_Bauer See Profile

• Location: Boisbriand,QC
Good "FTTH = La VITESSE de la lumière, 250 Go Bande Passante!"
Bad "Aucun!"
Overall "Excellent! De loin la meilleure technologie réseau à ce jour!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Voici mon expérience internet chez Bell du 29 juin 2012 à aujourd’hui!

J'ai Bell Internet Fibe 50/50 donc (50 Mbps down / 50 Mbps up) qui est à 53.95$ (avec le crédit de 30 $ à vie). Et je n’habite pas à Québec!

L’installation c’est très bien déroulé et a pris beaucoup moins de temps que prévu (~ 3 h) malgré le fait que le technicien était tout seul pour passer la fibre optique jusque dans la maison. La fibre optique passe par l’entrée extérieure du panneau électrique. Le travail est très propre, les fils sont agrafés à grandeur sur les plaintes de bas de murs. Le routeur sans fil « N » à bande simple (2.4 GHz) de la compagnie française Sagemcom est de bonne qualité, la force du signal est très bonne, comparable à mon routeur Dlink DIR-655 que j’utilisais avant l’installation.

La fibre optique utilisée à l’intérieur est de très grande qualité. C’est de la fibre optique de la marque Corning (l’inventeur de la fibre optique en 1970). C’est de la fibre optique 100 fois plus flexible que de la fibre optique traditionnelle, le produit s’appelle « ClearCurve SMF ». C’est de la fibre optique (SMF = Single-Mode Optical Fiber) ou Monomode ce qui garantit une très grande vitesse sur de longues distances et c’est parfait pour une connexion FTTH.

Selon le site internet de Corning (»www.corning.com/clearcurve/singl···dex.aspx), cette fibre optique est capable de supporté jusqu’à « 25 trillion bits per second » soit l’équivalent de (25 600 Gbit/s), donc une capacité presque illimitée. Ça prouve hors de tout doute qu’une seule fibre optique a la capacité (en masse) d’offrir les 3 services (Télévision, Internet, Téléphone) sans problème.

La vitesse est vraiment très constante. C’est impressionnant. La latence est extrêmement basse, ça n’a rien à voir avec ce qui se fait sur les autres technologies (câble et ADSL). La fibre optique est de loin la meilleure technologie dans le monde actuellement pour l’internet.

De plus, les ports sont ouverts. J’ai testé et facilement on peut se faire un petit serveur sans problème. La bande passante est très respectable, 250 Go par mois c’est très bien pour le prix!

Finalement, je suis très satisfait du service chez Bell! Le service à la clientèle est rapide et courtois (c’est des Québécois), ils ont des # de téléphones seulement pour Bell Fibe ce qui évite de passer par 50 000 intermédiaires. Je n’ai pas attendu longtemps pour avoir la ligne, presque instantanée. Même affaire sur internet, en clavardage c’est très rapide aussi.

Je vous le recommande pour le prix! C’est tout simplement une offre imbattable!

Comments:
Seb851
Future Shop Staff

join:2010-07-12
Sainte-Marthe-Sur-Le-Lac, QC

Quebecois au STC ?

Je pogne juste de indien surtout pour le support technique ....

Jack_Bauer

join:2012-06-30
Boisbriand, QC
·Bell Sympatico

Re: Quebecois au STC ?

Oui oui! Bell a ouvert un centre de service à la clientèle dans la ville de Québec uniquement pour ses services Bell Fibe.

Ainsi, comme chaque service Fibe à son propre # de téléphone dédié pour le SAC/Support, tous les appels sont redirigés là SANS PASSER par le centre de service à la clientèle standard "en Inde"!
luke_gaud

join:2012-10-08
Saint-Redempteur, QC

Re: Quebecois au STC ?

Salut,

Tu dis plus haut que tu as réussi à te créer un petit serveur moi j'ai un Dlink DNS-325 que j'ai connecté sur mon routeur asus rt-n56u qui lui est connecté sur le sagecom j'ai essayé différent dns comme asus.com ou dlinkddns.com et j'arrive toujours sur la page Bell point de connexion du routeur j'entre Admin et aucun mot de passe ne fonctionne. Dois-je installer le serveur sur le sagecom directement?
Quelle sont les paramètres que tu as fait pour que cela fonctionne?

Merci de ton aide.

jsmaster

join:2008-03-16
Montreal, QC

Interdit de faire un serveur sur une connexion résidentie

Il est interdit par la convention de service de faire un serveur sur une connexion résidentielle
Seb851
Future Shop Staff

join:2010-07-12
Sainte-Marthe-Sur-Le-Lac, QC

Re: Interdit de faire un serveur sur une connexion réside

said by jsmaster:

C'est pas interdit mais juste limité

Review by skullan3 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Stable Internet"
Bad "Their screw-up cost me 80 Gigs of Data usage allowance and them a customer."
Overall "If you don't call them, you're fine. Otherwise, you're risking everything."

I've had Bell DSL for close to 4 years.

Initially, I was on the 2Mbps service and then upgraded to the 6Mbps when it rolled through.

Stability and reliability wise, it's great.

Here are the problems I have had with them (most serious one last):

- In my opinion over-priced for the amount of data you get. I get a credit on my account, but without it, I would be well over what the competitors are, for far less (including the competition's dry-loop costs).

- Their billing system is annoyingly complex when it comes to understanding the credits.

- I have had the analysts give me their opinions on what the CRTC is going to do to the independent providers in terms of what they will be allowed to offer. This leaves a bad taste for customers.

- They mistakenly removed my 80 gigs (40 x 2 for $10) internet usage insurance, they admit that. But they are unable to offer more than 50 (as now they only offer 25 x 2 for $10). They tried to figure out how I could get back what I had, but their offers were:

a) slower speed package, same amount of data. The cancellation analyst indicated that I shouldn't notice the 16% reduction in download speed (from 6Mbps to 5Mbps).

b) more expensive package with 25 more Gigs..

I had to draw a line in the sand on this. Yes, I could have spent 5 dollars more a month to get 25 more gigs than what I pay now, but when you consider how far behind the monthly data caps they are for the price they offer, principle alone stopped me and I canceled.

join:2012-06-11

Bravo. Correct move!

These big corporate borgs count on the belief that the customer will always bend over and "take it" because they "need" their broadband service at any cost. If enough folks started cancelling like you the consumer would be in a much better position to get what was fair and reasonable, and actual customer "service", not lip service.

• Location: L4g 7
Good "Install an tech support"
Bad "Internet speed so slow it is unusable"
Overall "Bell sold this package as having faster Internet. NOT"

I just installed Bell Fibe last week - TV is fine, but the "faster internet" they are promoting is a complete joke. My internet is so slow now I can't even use it. Takes 30-60 seconds to load every page. Impossible to watch Netflix as the movie never loads. If you are looking for faster internet DO NOT get Bell Fibe

(review was emailed from domain me.com)