Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by skullan3 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Stable Internet"
Bad "Their screw-up cost me 80 Gigs of Data usage allowance and them a customer."
Overall "If you don't call them, you're fine. Otherwise, you're risking everything."

I've had Bell DSL for close to 4 years.

Initially, I was on the 2Mbps service and then upgraded to the 6Mbps when it rolled through.

Stability and reliability wise, it's great.

Here are the problems I have had with them (most serious one last):

- In my opinion over-priced for the amount of data you get. I get a credit on my account, but without it, I would be well over what the competitors are, for far less (including the competition's dry-loop costs).

- Their billing system is annoyingly complex when it comes to understanding the credits.

- I have had the analysts give me their opinions on what the CRTC is going to do to the independent providers in terms of what they will be allowed to offer. This leaves a bad taste for customers.

- They mistakenly removed my 80 gigs (40 x 2 for $10) internet usage insurance, they admit that. But they are unable to offer more than 50 (as now they only offer 25 x 2 for $10). They tried to figure out how I could get back what I had, but their offers were:

a) slower speed package, same amount of data. The cancellation analyst indicated that I shouldn't notice the 16% reduction in download speed (from 6Mbps to 5Mbps).

b) more expensive package with 25 more Gigs..

I had to draw a line in the sand on this. Yes, I could have spent 5 dollars more a month to get 25 more gigs than what I pay now, but when you consider how far behind the monthly data caps they are for the price they offer, principle alone stopped me and I canceled.

join:2012-06-11

Bravo. Correct move!

These big corporate borgs count on the belief that the customer will always bend over and "take it" because they "need" their broadband service at any cost. If enough folks started cancelling like you the consumer would be in a much better position to get what was fair and reasonable, and actual customer "service", not lip service.

• Location: L4g 7
Good "Install an tech support"
Bad "Internet speed so slow it is unusable"
Overall "Bell sold this package as having faster Internet. NOT"

I just installed Bell Fibe last week - TV is fine, but the "faster internet" they are promoting is a complete joke. My internet is so slow now I can't even use it. Takes 30-60 seconds to load every page. Impossible to watch Netflix as the movie never loads. If you are looking for faster internet DO NOT get Bell Fibe

(review was emailed from domain me.com)

Comments:

Review by ginternet See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Speed is... meh."
Bad "Customer service. Service consistency. Billing."
Overall "If you have the money for it, heres to you."

·TekSavvy Cable
Switching to Teksavvy. If im going to get poor service, i'd rather pay less for it.

Tried calling back about a random cancellation fee that was found on my bill,
first rep told me there was nothing I could do about it. Had to talk to the manager to explain
that it was it was an error in their data entry.
Bell just gets me on overage charges and their service is completely inconsistent.
Ive read all over the internet that they throttle their internet speeds, and this is the truth.
Ive never had a moment when a streamed video would have to stop and buffer, youtube, vimeo, etc.

Anyways,
Bell Vibe 12 w/ 80GB AddOn

Let you know how Teksavvy is when i get it. Peace!

Comments:

Review by UK_Dave See Profile

• Location: Powassan,ON
Good "Cancelling was painless."
Bad "Their cheeky little attempts to crush competition."
Overall "Screw you Bell, you won't ever get another direct dime from me."

·TekSavvy DSL
So pleased I left.......

To have "No Bell" in my life, has been a wonderful, calming experience....

Comments:

Review by KC1215 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Service was good from installation till 9/14"
Bad "Horrible Tech support"
Overall "Great when it was working"

I had Bell internet since Oct 2009.

Starting with Max 16/1 but was never able to achieve 16mbps. After many visit from techs I had to downgrade to Max 12/512.

No problems.

Upgraded to Fibe 25/10 Jan 2012 and got 24mbps down and 5mbps up.

On Sept 14 the download speed was erratic. Depending on which servers i test to using Speedtest.net it would show download speeds of 2mbps to 18mbps. Any servers that were outside the GTA would show no greater than 10mbps.

Call Bell and had 3 tech visits and talk to their L3 support 3 times and was finally told on 9/24 that since the line to my apartment was showing the correct speed and the test to the Bell Speedcheck was showing the correct speed there was nothing wrong. I asked if they had check the network further down the line and they said that was not their problem.

Essentially they told me how the rest of the Bell network perform was not their problem since the test center cannot test the different router points

My download are still no better than before. A 650MB file that use to take 7 mins is now taking 30 - 60 mins.

Comments:

Review by saeedonweb See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Connection is reliable... almost"
Bad "Bandwidth limits and the price"
Overall "Get a better deal from someone else."

·CIKTEL Telecom
I have been with Bell DSL Internet for more than a year now. On the upside, they have a reliable network most of the time. On the downside, their price is high and they charge for bandwidth usage. I am looking for other options right now.

Comments:

Lostcustomer

@bell.ca

25 year client - and NEVER AGAIN

I received and was charged for a "6 year old" modem/router. As soon as it arrived, I called and told them I didn't want it and I wanted to return it. They never sent the return packing info they promised and they charged me for the router. I tried to take it to the Bell store, they wouldn't take it. A technician would not take it. I decided to cancel with Bell. OMG that proved to be even more difficult. You cannot cancel over email, chat or at the Bell store. You have to do it on the phone. After 1 1/2 weeks, I finally got through to a LIVE person. Typical wait times were greater than 30 minutes. Then, they told me they would charge me an extra week, because I didn't give them 30 days notice. So - they are charging one house - 2 different people for the same internet service. Shouldn't that be illegal? Oh wait, it's Bell. They can do whatever they want.

Review by againstwall See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Fast"
Bad "Service, bunch of liars, billing ajustment without client notifacation"
Overall "Don`t go with bell unless you like to pay more for less......."

OK so when I joined up 9 years ago the cost was 39.95 + modem rental of 2$, speed was 5mb. Billing was all the time wrong every month for the first year so I had to call them every month to adjust the bill. I still got charged a late payment that never got reimbursed, whatever It was unlimited and it was the best.

A few years later I was upgraded to 6mb for free. Costumer service is terrible, you wait for like 1 or 2 hours no joke and you have a chance to disconnect.... great. Last year I was tricked out of my unlimited plan because of promises of a faster connection so like a moron I fell for it. They told me 80gigs a month and a speed of 7mb, I was blatantly lied to as the cap was actually 60 gigs and the speed is not faster, they even told me in 1 year there will be no such thing as unlimited internet from any company.

Year later i just noticed 60 gig cap.

I called yesterday to solve this issue and they told me it was my fault? How is i my fault if the person said it is going to be a 80 gig cap and not a 60 gig cap. Am I going to be reimbursed for all over downloads on behalf of your lies? I also told them to justify the price increase when basically im paying more for less. The person told me that gas prices are rising........ how the hell does gas prices have anything to do with internet? I believe one is for transport and the other is for information. I retold him to explane to me why im paying more for less, he kept going on about gas prices. Why are you so fascinated about gas?

I decided to cancel due to the company not respecting long time customers, lieing to us as if we are a bunch of dumb f&^ks. I don`t think i`ll ever go back unless they reimburse me for all the overcharges that were not my fault, give me back the unlimited internet at 39.95 for all the trouble I had to go through this last year and for the first year I joined up.

Thanks for treating me like a nobody, my business goes elsewhere, you loose all my cash Bell, I doubt you will call back with an actual good offer.

Btw there is still unlimited internet so what do you have to say about that lie?

Aug 25, 2012

So I looked at my bill today and now they expect me to pay about 80$ for this month, that's a lot considering that I'm sure i can get unlimited internet for that price instead of this 60 gig cap. Why are big company's allowed to get away with their scams and lies.

Whatever, If they want to make sure I don`t come back... fine. I bet that modem that they promised I could keep will have to be sent back right, just a guess but im sure of it, bunch of liars.

Comments:

Review by fspilot See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Constant advertised download speeds. Highest upload rates in the area."
Bad "Unable to access line stats with Sagemcom."
Overall "Happy with Bell Internet so far."

Got tired of waiting for Rogers sluggish upload speeds so I took a gamble with Bell. Currently taking advantage of the 6 month half price promo for the Fibe 25/10 service at $32/month with the modem rental waived and a $49 install fee. Ordering was easy. Were able to answer all my questions in a friendly, professional manner. Tried to sell me Fibe TV but declined.

Had some install issues at install time due to wrong line card at the remote. Took a few hours to correct issue. Had some connection issues the first day but was resolved that same day. No connection issues since.

Got the Sagemcom F@st 2864 modem/router, using it just as a modem and using a Netgear as a router instead. Would like to see line stats with the Sagemcom, but not available with it (no big issue). Otherwise happy with the Sagemcom. Using online gaming, FTP and voice chat with no problems.

Although they advertise up to 10Mbps upload, I am getting up to 7Mbps. I am pleased with Bell Internet so far.

member for 12.5 years, 1259 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Reboot123 See Profile

• Location: Montreal-Nord,QC
Good "Fast installation"
Bad "Expensive as far as money/service ratio goes, slow customer service"
Overall "Did not have a good experience..."

·TekSavvy Cable
Hi, I was with Bell from 2000 until 2008, for the first seven years it was more or less decent except for the fact that the download limit was ridiculous, had to always check at how much I was in order not to exceed had to pay a few times around 80-100$ (my normal plan was 45$ month with 5mb but it never went over 3mb) per month for extra GB when had no choice but to download stuff for work. The last year with them was horrible, no internet for 5 whole weeks, kept on calling them and they kept on saying call back in 48 hours, ended up that they had a problem on their end and did not even refund me for the missing weeks. I had enough and was tired, basically had to raise my voice in order to speak with a supervisor or a technician. On the 6th week, I decided to change providers and went with a smaller ISP with whom, unlike Bell, I never had a technical problem, 30$ budget plan with unlimited download and upload, no contracts and no ''catches''.

Comments:

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Depending on line conditions, it can be quick and reliable."
Bad "Slow compared to cable and VDSL. Bell has serious logistical issues."
Overall "Bell is killing off their Sympatico brand and moving to Fibe."

·AEI Internet
·Anveo
I have been a Bell customer off and on for the past several years. I'm currently a subscriber to their Bell Fibe service, for which I have written a separate review. This review will focus on my past experiences with Bell's sub-10 Mbps service, previously known as Sympatico.

About five years ago I had a very poor experience when I tried to get Bell Sympatico set up in my university dorm room. Installation was a hassle--they lost my initial order, so I had to order it a second time. They shipped the modem quickly but it took weeks to get any sync. When it was finally installed the speeds were garbage--well below the 6 Mbps advertised speeds. I called them and they claimed that 1.7 Mbps was entirely normal for a 6 Mbps line, and suggested that I upgrade to a higher tier to improve it. I ended up cancelling the service within days and went with Rogers instead.

Bell's current DSL offerings have pathetically low usage caps. If you do any sort of downloading or BitTorrent, expect to go over those caps regularly.

Bell has been rolling out Fibe as quickly as they can, but there are still many places where Fibe isn't available--and in those places, you're lucky if you can get 5 Mbps from them. One of the businesses I consult can only get 6 Mbps service, and Bell doesn't seem to have any desire to improve that. If Fibe isn't available I usually recommend to friends and family that they go with cable Internet instead, as 5/6 Mbps is really not remotely fast enough for today's needs.

Sympatico as a brand seems to be dead. Let's hope Bell's sub-10 Mbps offerings follow suit.

member for 12.5 years, 3926 visits, last login: a few hours ago