Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by ruggs See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "Stability, No shared usage"
Bad "High Price Point, Low bit caps"
Overall "Good service with good tech suport, at a high cost"

Considered Cogeco cable, but went with Bell since I had home phone with them.
7 Meg service was and still is the maximum speed available from Bell, from my node, so I got that.
Ordering was easy, and the technician was very friendly and helpful. A 2wire modem was supplied for the service.

Comments:

Review by sas See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick installation appointment and execution. Courteous CS staff."
Bad "Slower speed that advertised. Misleading name of service"
Overall "Expensive. Not worth the money in the long run."

Update (2012-May-29): Today I call to cancel the service. This is to give them the 30 days advance notice. The 3 months trial is supposed to end on July 3. So I takes some time to update the whole review and rating. The shining parts of the whole experience are the execution of the installation and the customer service staff both when I called to acquire the service and to cancel it.

Edit: It's called Fibe, but it is a regular DSL service. There is no optical fibre connections involved. I re-used my DSL filters for the phone line. It works! Also, Bell does not allow Fibe 25 for the free trial, even the offer included Fibe 25 when I bought the kit.

Bell Fibe 16. 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Initial speed test posting shows much lower.

Wired: [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1872957···G][/URL]

Wireless: [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1873129···G][/URL]

I bought the Bell internet kit from Dell. Call Bell on March 30 to activate. The call centre rep seemed a bit hasty. After taking the kit's serial number and asking me to hold, he hung up!

I called back and the second rep also take the kit's serial number and put me on hold for 2 minutes. He said this kit gives me 4 months free. I can only get Fibe 16 as the highest speed. 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Total cost is $53.95 plus tax. I asked if there was any additional cost for dry loop. He said no. He also gave me a virtual phone number for the line. They no longer offer Fibe 25. Usage is capped at 65 GB a month. Extra 40 GB costs $5. Upgrade to 7Mbps upload is $5.

Before the day of the installation, I got an automated reminder of the installation from Bell. The technician came on time and did a quick and skillful installation. I have already set up the computer ready for the hookup. He tested the line for a dial tone. It took less than 10 minutes for him to get my computer online. I had to go through terms of services and agreed to it before proceeding further. The tech said if I "disagreed", he had to pack up the modem and leave. Computer setup take another 5 minutes. The technician said the internet seems slow and did a speed test at speedtest.net. It maxed out at 5Mbps for download. So he boosted it up a bit and I got about 10-12 Mbps DL.

Pre Sales information = sub-par because the ToS made me agree to less free months than what it said on Dell sales info and what the call centre rep told me. The information on Dell website, in the letter in the kit, and Bell rep says 4 months. The actual are 3 months, as informed by "agreement" after the installer set the service up. Bell also will not offer or activate the 25/1 speed as advertised.

Install Co-ordination = best. 20 minutes on the phone and online in 6 days.

Connection Reliabilty = Good. Service is always there. No drop/disconnection that I am aware of.

Tech Support = neutral (not use it yet). Customer service is great when I called to cancel. "M." was courteous and helpful. He suggested me to call retention/loyalty to get a better price.

Services = Worse. I could never get a close to the speed the connection was set up for. Even when the installation tech was here and boosted the signal to optimum. Max I get was 12 mbps (dl) instead of 16. Daily average I get about 7-8 mbps (dl).

Value for money = sub-par because I can get faster speed, more internet usage (bandwidth) for less money elsewhere (it rhymes with TekSavvy).

Hope it helps someone!

Comments:

Review by cloud8521 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "fast internet 7mbit (faster could have been bought) 2mbit- 16mbit"
Bad "60GB download limit 2-100gb limits..... getting worse at that!"
Overall "Major rip off"

well, its pretty simple. Bell Canada was the best internet provider in Canada, many would agree. especially because of it's Unlimited plan! as a online gamer, unlimited is a must! but recently bell has become the nations sin as it brought forth to the table their stupidest move... adding download caps! in fact the caps are made to make it look professional but ultimately is made to make you shovel them your money! many would say that they have tried on a 7mbit line and have not been able to reach 100gb, but imagine on a faster line where more is used at one time, how much you can possibly use in 30 days on a 10mbit line. (that is 1.26mbytes per second). in 30 days (running without stopping at full speed) you get 3.24 TERABYTES that's 32.4 times over the limit! meaning at full speed if you want to hit your limit the max amount of time you can use your internet at full speed is just under a day! it is outrageous! not to mention the fact the internet goes down once and a while. but the limits are unbearable, as with my 7mbps (0.875Mbytes/s) connection i only get 60gb limits. looking at it mathematically we get a max of 2.268 terabytes per month! that's 37.8 folds over the limit! giving us less time with this service then the last i deconstructed. then there is the worst, being the monumental waste of money! the 16mbit! not only is it so fast a limit is unbearable, but they keep the 100 limit, which with 100 we went over like it was nothing! at least we have a $30 limit over-use! otherwise the bills will leave us homeless! at least they tell you everything... but people wont understand... in their commercials they even play on it making the consumer look like a fool!

UPDATE: speeds have changed, 19.95 for 2mbit..... but only a 2 gb download limit!

6mbit for 29.95 ... but only 25 gigabyte limit!

12mbit for 39.95..... but! 50gb limit!... 10mbit had a 100gb...

16.... has only a 75 gb limit.... 49.95.... they are starting to screw the pooch!

UPDATE 21 may 2012: parents wanted their fibe tv, forcing them to get bell internet again,

new speeds are 6/1, 15/10. thats it as the 25/10 can not be used with fibe tv (presumably as a buffer zone for the tv to work in without affecting internet or the internet affecting the tv)

we got half off for a year which is great, but the caps are still beyond ridiculous

as my old review shows the limits hardly changed at all 7-15 only got us 15 gigs more. then what we had a few years ago.

overcharges are also ridiculous, 2 bucks per gig is highway robbery compared to what they pay! and a max of 80 bucks is not at all justified. although i bet they would love to make it have a skys the limit kind of deal where it never stops going up.

in the 50 or so we pay per month fir internet a higher cap should be included in that price.

Comments:

ChuckcarCZAR

One hundred gigabytes?

You could easily break the ten terabyte mark in one month with a 25/7 connection with a paid usenet subscription.
Columbo

join:2012-06-19
Sarnia, ON

Re: One hundred gigabytes?

Not only have they gave customers poor bandwidth limits, their routers/modems are crap and so are their installers.
5 months ago
I have a brand new Ivy bridge fully loaded computer, I had my chrome and IE browser set up on a proxy, The tech tried telling me my computer was crap cause the internet was slow and not responding he even tried calling in and saying he can not install the internet on this crap computer.

If the tech would have listened he would have heard me tell him directly that me or himself would have to turn the proxy settings off first. I told the tech to take a hike and I would finish the instal myself, I will not even let a tech from bell touch my computer anymore.

Now to get back on their router/modem being crap, for one they come defaulted on WEP, who the hell uses WEP these days it can be cracked in less the 30 sec's with a skilled user. Their modems firmware is crap and very limited settings for the end users to modify the firewall or set up restrictions or monitor activities.

Thats my rant on Bell

To stay on topic I am a gamer myself and I also do a lot of projects that require a lot of bandwidth usage I upgraded to 105 GB limit and I still come very close to going over that.

The only reason I am with them is because I got my service for 1/2 price for 2 full years.

Review by BliZZardX See Profile

·WIND Mobile

member for 12 years, 5103 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: H2X1V
Good "Only half-useless"
Bad "Terrible internet, terrible support, decent price"
Overall "I would not recommend Bell Home Internet to anyone."

Location: Montreal

Purchased Plan: Fibe 15/10 - $52 ($43 for the first 6 months)

Started out a little disappointed when they said they couldn't reactivate the modem (perfect condition) that we had and that a technician would have to come two days later ($40-$50 activation fee too). Technician was scheduled for 8am-12pm and showed up at 1:30pm for an hour (prepare to be home ALL DAY). Technician setup the internet but we were only getting 2mbps download (instead of 15) and 0.5mbps upload (instead of 10) - he said this would change.

Internet goes down that same first day – I call technical support and she claims a "LAN card" isn't installed at the office and I need to wait until midnight. This would have been fine if she didn't tell me that "there is no way the internet was working before. If there was a LAN card it would still be working". This is the beginning of my understanding that they actually have no understanding. She said it would be fixed at midnight and sure enough it was… with only 2mbps/0.5mbps again.

Internet stops the next day so I call and explain both that it isn't working and that we're not getting the right speeds. I get a whole lot of useless information and finally it is escalated to level 2. At least this guy seems competent and offers to call me back after he's done working instead of making we wait on hold for another hour. He calls back and says that "a whole lot of software had to be installed on the line" and I would get another call in a few hours. I don't receive a call so I phone them around 6 hours later. Still no update but "someone will phone."

Next morning, woken up by a guy that must receive the worst customer service ranking I could give. He says that everything has been OK at the office (so everyone before him must have been making stuff up) and that another technician must be sent. He asks if a four hour window in the evening is OK so I ask if the technician will be on time or will it be another 6.5 hour waiting session. He replies that there is no way to be sure because some jobs take longer than expected (wise man). I ask if they could kindly call me 30 minutes before they come so I can be home, but that isn't possible (how could I have guessed). I tell him this isn't acceptable and he asks me "then what else can I do?" So I was transferred to billing so I could cancel the order.

Finally, the first genuinely caring (or at least sold it well) customer support agent in the "Loyalty Department". He however did not make any offers to keep me on board but was very nice about cancelling and mailing the box that I need to send the modem in. I was given a full refund because I was within the 10-day buyers' remorse period.

I am from BC and have never seen as bad service from any company. I would suggest going with a competitor, but I have heard Videotron is even worse. I know the chances of this happening are slim, but at least in those rare instances the company should make an offer to ease the pain of a 3-day setup (probably close to 15 hours of my time wasted).

I would not recommend Bell Home Internet to anyone.

- Andrew

(review was emailed from domain mail.mcgill.ca)

Comments:

Chuckcar OTT

@teksavvy.com

You were one of the lucky ones

Most stories end up much worst than yours. This is Ontario so you better make sure you have a receipt from the post office when you ship the modem. Don't lose that receipt for at least 2 years.

Review by Zero Gravity See Profile

• Location: Top Floor
Good "none"
Bad "Price is too high"
Overall "crap"

no longer use sympatico

Comments:

Review by Rifleman See Profile

• Location: p1a
Good "This Turbo Stick gets me online anywhere a phone signal is."
Bad "Big bucks for a max of 5gigs up and down combined"
Overall "works good for my needs as I travel."

I bought the turbostick to get service in my RV. Had to reinstall XP to get the drivers to work. It works fine and quite fast.
The stick cost 129 bucks with open contract. Sign for 2 years it is free.
30 bucks gets you 500MB then 5 to 3gB is 50 then 3 to 5 is 70. Over that is 5 cents a MB.
I am hooked up to cable and the turbostick will be cancelled tomorrow. It works fine but a "heavy" user like myself it is far too expensive.

Comments:

Review by xfinisherx See Profile

Good "It was fine when it worked, even though the speeds were horrific"
Bad "Disconnected frequently, Horrific Speeds, Absolutely disgusting customer support"
Overall "Never ever again will I go back to Bell. After this mess, I switched all services to Cogeco Cable, including my Phone and TV"

Where do I begin?

I have had Bell internet since 2009 and I have been quite satisfied until about 6 months ago when the service quality went down. And I mean it, down to the ground. Lately, it had gotten so bad that I was paying for 6Mbps service and only getting 1. After spending 2 hours on the phone, being disconnected twice, and having the line checked and having had 'no problems' they decided to send a technician out to my house to check the line the next day.

Next day comes... I'm at home for the 6 hours they want me to be, and no one shows up. How wonderful.

I call back again, this time I spend close to 3 hours on the phone. These technicians are so incompetent its not even funny. I had to scream at the person who was probably in Pakistan on the other end because he could not hear me, even when I was screaming. Please note that I have, should now say used to have, a Bell Home Phone line too. I guess that service is garbage too. After screaming for 15 minutes, the guy went silent, and wouldn't dare say a word to me even after I asked for his supervisor more than 10 times because he was too incompetent and clueless to understand anything I was telling him. After hanging up, I called back immediately, and asked to speak to cancellations. It was my last straw, and I absolutely could not thank myself any better for the job I did with Bell. After being disconnected from Bell, I went to Cogeco, and I switched every single service over to them, and then Bell has the nerve to send letters about how I am such a "valued customer" and that they "hate to see me go"

Bell will never get another CENT from my pocket ever again.

Update - August 30 2011 - I'm still happy with Cogeco. I'm not ever going to switch back to Bell. I would threaten Cgo to lower rates or else cancel, but tha'ts as far as I would ever mention Bell again.

Update - January 22 2012 - I'm living the Bell free life, rockin hard on Cogeco's blazing fast network

Comments:

Review by thebaron See Profile

• Location: Orleans,ON
Good "Recently upgraded from 3.0 to 5.0 for same price"
Bad "Tech support blames everything on you, no static IP"
Overall "Very Reliable ISP"

Recently Sympatico switched from 1.5mbit down and 128kbit up to 3mbit down and 800 up without any increase in cost, i was quite pleased... but on the other hand, every time i call for tech support, they always try to blame the problem on me. I had called once for a connection problem and they kept telling me it was because i was on a network, and networks are bad an so forth... turns out, it was NOT my fault, an animal chewed the line and messed some stuff up, causing static on my line. Oh, and im a little dissapointed that they dont offer any plan with a static IP.

Update: Have not had any problems with this ISP in a very long time, have not lost sync in over a year. Rates were increased from 45 to 55$ this year though.

Update: no longer with Bell, absolute garbage

member for 10.7 years, 4757 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Bye internet

join:2012-01-18
·Primus Telecommu..
·Acanac
·Bell Sympatico

No longer with Bell.

I left Bell because of very slow speeds and complete blackouts, phone support which promised but never delivered (and apparently was never recorded), accidental cancellation of service, failure to cancel services, even when notified 6 months in advance, and, of course, failure to provide the services for which they charged.

I switched to Acanac, who could not provide internet service without disabling my phone (still with Bell). A Bell lineman told me, "these old lines cannot support both phone and high speed internet." Acanac has still not refunded nearly $400 which I prepaid, so I must take them to court.

Next, I switched to Primus, who interrupted my phone service for 6 days, trying to solve the problem that they could never establish the internet connection I was paying for.

Both Acanac and Primus depend upon Bell's lines. Bell has failed to maintain these lines. After leaving Bell, I was harassed. I received unexplained bills, and threats of collection agencies. I also received phone calls and letters, to "thank me for returning to Bell". They told me by phone, "if you return to Bell, accepting a different phone number, we will replace those old lines". Their mail-outs "confirmed the new services to which I had agreed". [NONE!!!]

I gave up phone lines, in my 35-year-old condo. I'm now with Source Cable. Although paying for a down speed of 8.0, I usually receive 2.0 or even less than 1.0, OR no connection. I've signed up for a year.

It seems that robbery is now quite legal in Canada; there is simply no patrolling of ISP's.

Please, do everything you can to speak up for consumers like yourself...take it to Small Claims Court. You can only collect $25,000 per company you sue, but you'll receive money from the CRTC, just for reporting the crooks!

If you want reliable internet at an affordable cost, leave Canada.

FP

Review by mrhud See Profile

• Location: Hudson,QC
Good "Good speed and reliability"
Bad "Got a new 2wire modem and was able to jailbreak it"
Overall "All in all, really not that bad. Customer service has improved"

Even after all this time, I am still their customer. I guess I just know how the system works. Whenever I'm not happy with something, I call up 310-SURF and talk with retentions. They always seem to offer me something, dangling the carrot as it were, to keep me. My most recent call was to cancel, but they offered me 3 months free, plus a credit of last months bill (Dec 2011) , and and extra 40GB free for 12 months. All in a savings of almost $200 for a 10 minute phone call. And, they credited last month right away, so I don't think I'll have to call back to complain that they didn't do what they promised.

Honestly, I don't think they're that bad. I haven't gone gone over my bandwidth limits in years, and the price with my bundle is palatable. I think I would like to try out cable (Electronic Boxes new rates are tempting), but I want to find a solution to cable voip before I take the plunge.

Or, status quo until Bell calls me for with an offer for Fibe, which I guess which be coming sometime towards the end of 2013 or early 2013 for my area.

(Below this line is my original review almost 4 years ago)

---

I have been their customer for a number of years, at least when Hi-Speed Edition first came out for Sympatico.

I have found the last few years that the service has been sub par, and this has been most evident this past year. I moved last year, signed up for a new 1yr contract, and the speeds seemed okay at first. A month or 2 later the speeds dropped dramatically. Calls to support either went unanswered and unsolved. My 1 yr contract is coming to an end next month, and now my speeds have suddenly gone back to what they were originally. Conspiracy? Whatever. I'll probably be changing providers...most likely a reseller.

Also, for some reason over the last few months my bandwidth has really increased...I called them up and asked them where I went over. They could not tell me how, where or when I went over my limit, only that I did in fact go over my limit. Prior, I was only using something like 25 GB total per month but now I always seem to end up with the extra 30$ charge.

Comments:

Chucks Truck

No you'll learn

What they promise you and what you see on your monthly bills are two different things. Be prepared to spend hundreds of hours on the phone to get the extra charges reversed.