Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by Barry See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Fast, unlimited, reliable and at a great price"
Bad "Customer service wait time on phone"
Overall "Not having to check my usage is great"

·Start Communicat..
I ordered Fibe 25/10 in late November and was up and running within 48 hours after the order was placed. Impressive. The price was $64.35 including tax ($64.95 + $10 for unlimited - $18 credit) and the install took about three hours. The technician did an excellent job with the wiring and mounting of equipment as well as making fun of said company. I was worried about the Sagemcom 2864, but have had no issues with it whatsoever and I am very happy with the service. That is until I have to renegotiate after my 24 month contract.

The only complaint I have is the wait times on the phone, but that can be avoided for most issues by using direct support.

member for 6.1 years, 2841 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thejames See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "they matched a competitors price + more usage"
Bad "price continued to creep up"
Overall "VERY surprised Bell matched TekSavvy..."

·Bell Fibe
Had my total Bell bill (sat.TV + DSL 25/10 + 190 GB) reduced to $104 due to some major billing problems. Over the last year and a half the bill crept up to $140.

I seriously looked at going to TekSavvy as the service was cheaper for the same speed and had more usage (300 GB).

I call Bell up today and quite calmly told them I was cancelling my Internet service as TekSavvy was offering the same but cheaper. Also told her I was unhappy about my "bill creep". I literally was calling up to cancel... the price is just ridiculous. The first words out of my mouth were "I'd like to cancel my Bell Internet service." No BS. Just said it in a matter-of-fact manner.

She told me she'd look to see what they could do... came back and said they could offer 25/10 + 350 GB for $44.95 (which is what I would have paid at TekSavvy... $39.99 + $5 for dry loop).... so they matched the price and tacked on an extra 50 GB. I couldn't say no. I told her I was pleasantly surprised they could do that...

To myself I wonder if this is really what it takes? I wasn't going in threatening to cancel... I was going to cancel. They lowered my price... I have no reason to cancel now. The service has always been good for me in Whitby just have problems with Bill Creep.

Comments:

steve1818

bell service

absolute crap for what is being paid, their so called fast is about a snails pace and keeps crashing prices keep going up customer service doesn't care 4 words STAY AWAY FROM BELL

Review by rewket See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC
Good "Perfect for gamers"
Bad "MFING BILLING"
Overall "I just like my pings"

I Don't have much to say, i just want to get rid of that "please review blahblah"
Sympatico is the greatest isp to have in canada since it outpasses videotron by a lot stability wise and ping wise and speedwise etc. Tech support is actualy worse than videotron's but whatever... if you bitch a lot you get what you want AT SOME POINT. pings are in the top 5 of all connections in north america (sub 30's) speeds: 2600/686 even though im 3km away at least from the central(had to bitch forever to get em to let me on it)

---
now close to the central
can get all the new speeds upgrade, very smooth pings, upload WAY better than before (got like
6k/s extra at least)

Only problem is they keep messing up my bills.

2013:
FIbe 15/10. Extremely low stable pings. 40ms Indiana, 30ms chicago, 18ms VA/NY, 55ms TX. Unlimited and untill the day i got fibe tv they gave me 25 instead of 15mbps.

Fibe TV is quite meh. Compression is massive so quality is more like a cheap XvID than 720p or 1080p and the menu system is very annoying(it shows ALL the channels you dont pay for and if you want to make a list of the channels you have it gets quite hard).

billing is total crap im going on 6months with extra charges or missing rebates.

update 2014:

Pings in october 2013 went to crap. I get packetloss and bad routing everywhere. I ping 40 to toronto, 40 to NY/VA, 40 to CHI and 80 to TX. My local pings are the same so bell switched to shitty routing outside their network. I dont know if it has anything to do with when i switched to unlimited i started doing 700gb a month.

Comments:

raja

Internet Bill

Be careful with the Bell representative, when you are renewing your internet contract. They offered the lower price to keep the customer & then you will get the higher bill from the next month...they did not accept there mistake & no body listen & you will have to spend 1-2 hrs on the phone & it is useless...they are not ready to provide the telephonic conversation recording

Review by mligeza7 See Profile

• Location: Smiths Falls,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "slow to repsond to problems"
Overall "Good Solid service"

Considered Cable but I had a service problem with the cable company in my area. Cable company is Cogeco and they are a real Mickey Mouse company.

I've been with Sympatico now for 10 years. Can't say that I have had any real problems with them.

Comments:

Review by qzcgd See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Speed of the internet is incredible, TV service is great"
Bad "Customer service and technical support are both horrible"
Overall "Bell Fibe is great if you don't have any problems"

Full disclosure : I am a Bell employee. I work in a retail store and sell the products I am reviewing right now. However this review reflects my personal opinion and not that of Bell or any of its subsidiaries.

The products I have are

* Fibe 50/50

* Unlimited bandwidth

* Basic HD

* A la carte 15

* HD PVR

The price I have indicated is the normal price, with no employee discount, including Quebec taxes)

I have had Bell products for a long time. I used to have old DSL Sympatico "Performance" which was 7mbps (I got an actual 4) and Bell ExpressVu (the satellite service, which never properly worked as the initial installation was done poorly). I point that out because I want to make sure everyone understands my experience with Bell has sometimes been less than enjoyable, but I can't really switch because the employee discount is a pretty big advantage.

I got my service installed about a year and a half ago. Being in a brand new area with FTTH cabling, the installation took a total of 30 minutes. The technician offered a tutorial for the TV which I refused, but he did program the remote to control my TV. During those 18 months, I have only had one complete outage (that I noticed at least), which turned out to be neighbourhood-wide. However my experience with technical support was less than positive.

I called at around 11PM and talked to someone located in Ottawa (surprising, as during the day I always spoke to someone in Tunisia...). I explained that I had absolutely no connection to the internet, that my neighbour, who is also with Bell, didn't have it either. The TV had also stopped working. I had tried to restart the modem, check the b1, everything; but it just wouldn't work. Guy starts looking around at stuff, changing settings but he just can't get it the work. At this point, my cellphone indicates I have been on the phone for about 35 minutes. The technician on the line tells me he can't help me, and that he'll have to transfer me to a level 2 tech. I get put on hold for around 5 minutes and when he comes back I am told that "no level 2 technician is available", and that I'll get a callback the next day. I ask if I can hold for a level 2 technician, but am told that is not possible and I'll get a call back.

The next morning, the internet is fixed but the TV still doesn't work. I don't really watch TV, and it's the summer so hockey hasn't started, so I decide to actually wait for the callback. I waited one week and it simply never came. That sucks. I called back and they fixed the TV in about 5 minutes.

Even though my internet problem was fixed, when I am told I will get a callback, I expect one. My experience is consistent with that of many clients I have tried to help in store.

In short, the services provided by Bell (especially for FTTH customers) are amazing. I have constant above-package speeds, on WiFi. The TV service is great, picture quality is what you'd expect, the features are fine, lots of on-demand stuff. If Bell could simply improve their customer service and technical support, they'd have a complete winner

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
mintaka905

join:2006-11-03
Holland Landing, ON

install

30 min install... right,, ya sure.

W1LL

Re: install

Why not 30 min ? He said he lives in a new development which has FTTH already. I guess the wiring is already in the house, so 30 minutes to hook up a router and plug a decoder box to a TV sounds about right.
I'm getting my 50/50 in 2 days. No Fibe wiring in my house yet, they said 2-4 hours install.

Review by mand See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC
Good "Very stable, fast, good services"
Bad "Price increases regularly"

2010

I ordered Bell Fibe 10 plan.

Read carefully and be prepared to click few times to get the real price for only one service on Bell's website. That's a bad point.
The plan includes a modem/router/4 port switch that allows wifi B/G and 75 Gb of bandwidth usage that are more than enough for my usage at this time.

I'm happy with the very stable download speed which is 10.5 Mbits (advertised 10 Mbits) but I'm a bit disapointed with the stable upload speed of 0.7 Mbps (1 Mbits advertised). Condition for the speedtests: my everyday network configuration.

I don't like their mail service which is a customized Microsoft Hotmail account. The service isn't bad but I use a mail client to access mail boxes and mail that is spam doesn't show up. It is important to sometimes connect to the webmail to check for false positive spams.
Hotmail doesn't provide IMAP.

2011

Only one time 2 hours of service lost I'm aware of since I'm with bell. Don't now exactly what happened but I restarted the modem and all goes well again. Maybe I could restart the modem earlier to get the Internet back.

The Fibe 10 plan had a total price increase of 3$ this year. That's bad news.

2012

Starting the year there's a new bonus for Bell : 2$ more on the bill for the monthly internet service. This time I called them.

I have now 115 GB bandwidth.

Another bonus for Bell this spring: money savings for each bundled services dropped from 5$ to 4$.

I'm more and more interested to host my little website myself but Bell doesn't allow customers to run servers and they don't provide fixed IPs for residential plans.

I switched to another phone service. Internet download speed fall to 2.3 Mbits one month later. Had to call Bell a friday afternoon for the dry loop. All goes well again monday evening.

Had an issue with lost of service starting end of november. Had to call Bell 3 ou 4 times in 3 weeks and repeat things again. Finally a tech shows up without appointement. The problem was outside.

2013

Price increase on march bill: 3$.
End of march download speed upgraded from 10 to 12 Mbits.

Still good to very good service with Bell Internet.

June : Invoice increased 15% since december 2012. We move to another town. All goes well but we decided to go to cable especially for TV and Internet will follow.

July : I closed my accounts at Bell without any extreme hassle. Had some phone calls. All goes well.

Comments:
Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
·Bell Sympatico

If your client supports it, you can configure it to connect to as an Exchange server - use m.hotmail.com as the server.

Some clients might even provide support for setting an account for DeltaSync or Windows Live Hotmail (Windows Live Mail on Win7 does).

Either will provide IMAP-like features.
mand

join:2011-08-13

Re: email

There are some keywords to use for searches. I never heard about Deltasync for example.

Thanks.
man-d

client tann

BELL c'est de la MERDE!

Faut constamment réinitialiser le modem et c'est une perte de temps : BELL c'est de la MERDE!
mand

join:2011-08-13
·Bell Sympatico

Re: BELL c'est de la MERDE!

C'est vrai qu'il faut régulièrement redémarrer le modem et d'ailleurs cela est même mentionné dans le guide de l'utilisateur qui accompagne le matériel si ma mémoire est bonne. Je redémarre le 2Wire 2701HG-G à date fixe et ça me prends 30 secondes pour débrancher brancher ou cliquer sur le lien adéquat dans l'interface de gestion du modem. Ensuite 5 minutes pour que l'internet soit à nouveau disponible mais là moi je fais autre chose pendant ce temps là

Je me demande si la mise à jour du firmware, ce printemps, a amélioré les choses.
Bien d'accord, cependant, qu'on pourrait s'en passer.
man-d

Review by raphzugen See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Service impressionant, FTTH à la vitesse de l'éclair"
Bad "Configuration Modem+Routeur compliquée"
Overall "Je le recommande !"

·Videotron
J'ai eu droit a une bell installation de la fibre optique chez moi. Installation rapide et service très courtois. Après 3 heures, tout dans la maison étais prêt et fonctionnel. La télé, avec son seul enregistreur partout dans la maison est très pratique. Malheureusement, le choix des canaux pour le sur mesure se regroupe seulement a une sélection de certains canaux. Certains des canaux qui sont sur mesure chez Vidéotron se vendent environ 5$. Pour l'internet, on a droit a une connexion avec un modem très rapide. Petit moins par contre, il y a pas de bridge mode comme sur les autres modem DSL de Bell, ce qui fait que la configuration avec un routeur est compliquée et diminue beaucoup la vitesse. Le service à la clientèle est très courtois et comporte un département qui lui est propre avec des agents québécois. La téléphonie est aussi très bien !

Comments:

jsmaster

join:2008-03-16
Montreal, QC

Bridge mode

Tu peux te connecter en bridge sans probleme.

Fait juste enlever ton nom d'usager dans la section internet et sauvegarde. ensuite branhe ton routeur, met le en PPoE et entre tes informations. la tv déjà en place ne sera pas impactée

Review by toro See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Great speeds, installation was great"
Bad "Cost is a bit high"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm on Bell Fibe 25/10 and I've only had the service for about 2 weeks. I ordered it using a Dell Grab and Go voucher which gives the first 3 months of service and free installation.

I asked for an evening appointment (after 5 pm) and there was no problem. The tech who came to do the install was great, very professional (unlike other Bell techs I dealt with in the past), he called in advance to let me know he was on the way and came on time. He had 2 hours allocated for it but finished everything in about an hour (he had to change the demarc box because I had an old rusty one).

The service is good so far and I am happy. I am not a heavy downloader, so I think the bandwidth allowance will be fine. I just wanted a higher upload speed than what's available on the ADSL tiers and cable. The only other option was Teksavvy (which has been my ISP for several years before switching) but because of the dry loop fee and mandatory modem rental fee imposed on the Fibe package, it would have costed me about $20 more per month.

Update, 3 months after the installation:

My 3 months of free service are up and I made some changes to my account, namely switched to a plan a bit cheaper, the 15/10 (same great upload speed which is the most important for me at this time).

Unfortunately I can't say the change went through without any problems but all were fixed in the end.

The first problem was a technical one, they set me up with a profile with 8 Mbps upload so since my line could do better before the change, I called and asked to be tweaked. Initially I was told that's the best the line could do, then when I pushed a little bit they escalated it to the second level who said I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. The tech called me about 7-8 hours later and was totally unprepared, he said initially I was on the Fibe 6 package, I told him "that's not true", he said "call our customer service". Then a few minutes later he called again, said I'm on Fibe 15 and he will change my upload speed to 1 Mbps, because there's no such thing as 10 Mbps. I told him to stop, don't make any change and double check, he went and did it anyways and changed my profile from a VDSL to an ADSL one.

I opened another ticket and about 14 hours later my speed was fixed and works great.

The second issue was with billing, they tried to charge me starting 3 months from the day the service was ordered rather than the day it was installed. I opened another ticket (over their chat) and this got fixed as well.

member for 8.9 years, 3321 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HackneyB See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Reliable service for the last 10 years"
Bad "avg. 5-10 phone calls to get any service changes right. Pricing not competitive."
Overall "Stable service but constant struggle to keep price low and changes done right."

Customer since late 90s. Never had stability problems with the service. $110 monthly cost includes two services - Internet and phone.

Pricing not competitive if you're in for the long haul - one deal lasting 12 months does not really count when you revert to fairly high pricing model after that. No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty. I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year.

Customer service and tech support was always polite but impossibly ineffective. Any changes equal days or weeks of follow up calls. Waiting for the billing to reflect changes. Waiting for unforseen scheduling for service changes. Getting told that the team you just spent 40 minutes waiting for, does not do what you need done. In total, every query or service change may translate into several phone calls and add up to hours spent on the phone.

Recent highlight - when unable to confirm some information or task, some Bell reps actually say they will call back and follow up on the promise which is a welcome contrast to most customer service organizations.

Comments:
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Fibe

Loyalty

"No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty."

You are correct. In my experience, and the experience of my friends, quite the opposite is true: you must switch regularly to get decent rates. If you are only getting $5 off /month then you need to switch.

"I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year."

I've asked people in retentions why they put me through this dance every year. I was told that this is just the system and that in the future I should just jump straight to retentions and not waste my time with the front line people who can't dole out the 'real' deals.

The whole system seems very wasteful to me, not to mention that I feel bad for elder, and less aggressive people who pay so much more then the rest of us. I wish they would just publish one set of (competitive) rates and be done with it.

Review by gyp_sy See Profile

Good "Rock-solid 25/7 all day."
Bad "Low caps, as we all know. 125GB on a 25Mbit plan, really?"
Overall "OK if you get a deal on it, otherwise not worth the $ at the regular price given the caps."

Update 03/01/2013: I moved back to Mississauga and had it transferred on 28/12/2012. The appointment was made a week in advance and a very friendly and knowledgeable tech showed up, one of the best I've dealt with from Bell. Service was set up in about 4 hours due to wiring issues between the street box and the demarc (contractors ripped the line up a year prior and the new line was not properly connected on the street). A new dry-loop number was assigned as part of the move. I asked that my profile be raised to 25/10 from the default 25/7 (to which it reset as part of the move) and my wish was granted (did I mention how amazing that tech was?); although the strength is not enough for full 10mbit sync, I do get a solid 9mbit. Solid service since, much as expected. Price remains the same. Cap remains unreasonable... come on Bell, even Rogers are beating you on it.. to say nothing of TPIA.

----------------------

Update 20/07/2012: I moved to Brampton July 1st and set up a new installation at the new location. Time from order to installation was approximately a week, due to technician availability as well as my own. At install time, I was unhappy to hear Bell would charge a $99 fee to run a fresh line from the demarc to the modem, something Rogers/Tek Cable provide free of charge. I will dispute this when the bill shows up. The package is 25/10 now, the remote is ~2000ft from my residence. If I keep my inside wiring short, my upload is spot-on. The throughput/bandwidth quality is rock-solid so far, no complaints. The modem is another Sagemcom 2864. I received a new 12-month promo, this time at 35.97/month. I was unable to avoid the $50 activation fee (which, along with the $99 above raises my setup fee to a whopping $149!). Cap remains the same at 125GB.

----------------------

Update 21/12/2011: they tried to hit me with a $50 one-time modem rental fee. Sneaky sneaky Bell, think I don't check my bill? 15-min phonecall cleared it up, no other billing screwups to report (yet). Service has been mostly solid - a few disconnects, but nothing lasting more than 2-3 minutes.

----------------------

It's a Fibe 25 install with 125GB cap. VDSL all day every day.

I've been hooked up with the Sagemcom 2864 modem. The remote I'm on is something like 500m from my home, so signal is nice and strong. Installed the POTS splitter and handled the wiring myself (have a fairly complicated setup), tech was more than glad to let me do it

It took about 7 days from order to installation, the tech arrived in the scheduled timeslot, things went smooth (both with this and with the previous Fibe 6 install I had). I've heard a TON of horror stories about Bell, but I really can't say anything bad about them so far. There's been no downtime and no issues in about a month.

Wait times for billing and sales were very short basically every time I called (under 10min); the reps were courteous, though not all that knowledgeable.

I *do* wish the Sagemcom gave us linestats.. but of course, the more Bell can keep its customers in the dark, the better =). Just increases the load on callcenters if you ask me, you take away the option of community support (which DSLR is oh-so-fantastic at providing).

I can't rate tech support as I haven't had to deal with them yet. I hope I never do.

Value for money is calculated at the rate I'm currently getting (33.48). There was no installation fee, there are no other fees beside the monthly charge.