Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by Barry See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Fast, unlimited, reliable and at a great price"
Bad "Customer service wait time on phone"
Overall "Not having to check my usage is great"

I ordered Fibe 25/10 in late November and was up and running within 48 hours after the order was placed. Impressive. The price was $64.35 including tax ($64.95 + $10 for unlimited - $18 credit) and the install took about three hours. The technician did an excellent job with the wiring and mounting of equipment as well as making fun of said company. I was worried about the Sagemcom 2864, but have had no issues with it whatsoever and I am very happy with the service. That is until I have to renegotiate after my 24 month contract.

The only complaint I have is the wait times on the phone, but that can be avoided for most issues by using direct support.

member for 6.4 years, 2988 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thejames See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "they matched a competitors price + more usage"
Bad "price continued to creep up"
Overall "VERY surprised Bell matched TekSavvy..."

·Bell Fibe
Had my total Bell bill (sat.TV + DSL 25/10 + 190 GB) reduced to $104 due to some major billing problems. Over the last year and a half the bill crept up to $140.

I seriously looked at going to TekSavvy as the service was cheaper for the same speed and had more usage (300 GB).

I call Bell up today and quite calmly told them I was cancelling my Internet service as TekSavvy was offering the same but cheaper. Also told her I was unhappy about my "bill creep". I literally was calling up to cancel... the price is just ridiculous. The first words out of my mouth were "I'd like to cancel my Bell Internet service." No BS. Just said it in a matter-of-fact manner.

She told me she'd look to see what they could do... came back and said they could offer 25/10 + 350 GB for $44.95 (which is what I would have paid at TekSavvy... $39.99 + $5 for dry loop).... so they matched the price and tacked on an extra 50 GB. I couldn't say no. I told her I was pleasantly surprised they could do that...

To myself I wonder if this is really what it takes? I wasn't going in threatening to cancel... I was going to cancel. They lowered my price... I have no reason to cancel now. The service has always been good for me in Whitby just have problems with Bill Creep.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

steve1818

bell service

absolute crap for what is being paid, their so called fast is about a snails pace and keeps crashing prices keep going up customer service doesn't care 4 words STAY AWAY FROM BELL

Review by rewket See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC
Good "Perfect for gamers"
Bad "MFING BILLING"
Overall "I just like my pings"

I Don't have much to say, i just want to get rid of that "please review blahblah"
Sympatico is the greatest isp to have in canada since it outpasses videotron by a lot stability wise and ping wise and speedwise etc. Tech support is actualy worse than videotron's but whatever... if you bitch a lot you get what you want AT SOME POINT. pings are in the top 5 of all connections in north america (sub 30's) speeds: 2600/686 even though im 3km away at least from the central(had to bitch forever to get em to let me on it)

---
now close to the central
can get all the new speeds upgrade, very smooth pings, upload WAY better than before (got like
6k/s extra at least)

Only problem is they keep messing up my bills.

2013:
FIbe 15/10. Extremely low stable pings. 40ms Indiana, 30ms chicago, 18ms VA/NY, 55ms TX. Unlimited and untill the day i got fibe tv they gave me 25 instead of 15mbps.

Fibe TV is quite meh. Compression is massive so quality is more like a cheap XvID than 720p or 1080p and the menu system is very annoying(it shows ALL the channels you dont pay for and if you want to make a list of the channels you have it gets quite hard).

billing is total crap im going on 6months with extra charges or missing rebates.

update 2014:

Pings in october 2013 went to crap. I get packetloss and bad routing everywhere. I ping 40 to toronto, 40 to NY/VA, 40 to CHI and 80 to TX. My local pings are the same so bell switched to shitty routing outside their network. I dont know if it has anything to do with when i switched to unlimited i started doing 700gb a month.

member for 11.6 years, 1617 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

raja

Internet Bill

Be careful with the Bell representative, when you are renewing your internet contract. They offered the lower price to keep the customer & then you will get the higher bill from the next month...they did not accept there mistake & no body listen & you will have to spend 1-2 hrs on the phone & it is useless...they are not ready to provide the telephonic conversation recording

Review by mligeza7 See Profile

• Location: Smiths Falls,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "slow to repsond to problems"
Overall "Good Solid service"

Considered Cable but I had a service problem with the cable company in my area. Cable company is Cogeco and they are a real Mickey Mouse company.

I've been with Sympatico now for 10 years. Can't say that I have had any real problems with them.

Comments:

Review by qzcgd See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Speed of the internet is incredible, TV service is great"
Bad "Customer service and technical support are both horrible"
Overall "Bell Fibe is great if you don't have any problems"

Full disclosure : I am a Bell employee. I work in a retail store and sell the products I am reviewing right now. However this review reflects my personal opinion and not that of Bell or any of its subsidiaries.

The products I have are

* Fibe 50/50

* Unlimited bandwidth

* Basic HD

* A la carte 15

* HD PVR

The price I have indicated is the normal price, with no employee discount, including Quebec taxes)

I have had Bell products for a long time. I used to have old DSL Sympatico "Performance" which was 7mbps (I got an actual 4) and Bell ExpressVu (the satellite service, which never properly worked as the initial installation was done poorly). I point that out because I want to make sure everyone understands my experience with Bell has sometimes been less than enjoyable, but I can't really switch because the employee discount is a pretty big advantage.

I got my service installed about a year and a half ago. Being in a brand new area with FTTH cabling, the installation took a total of 30 minutes. The technician offered a tutorial for the TV which I refused, but he did program the remote to control my TV. During those 18 months, I have only had one complete outage (that I noticed at least), which turned out to be neighbourhood-wide. However my experience with technical support was less than positive.

I called at around 11PM and talked to someone located in Ottawa (surprising, as during the day I always spoke to someone in Tunisia...). I explained that I had absolutely no connection to the internet, that my neighbour, who is also with Bell, didn't have it either. The TV had also stopped working. I had tried to restart the modem, check the b1, everything; but it just wouldn't work. Guy starts looking around at stuff, changing settings but he just can't get it the work. At this point, my cellphone indicates I have been on the phone for about 35 minutes. The technician on the line tells me he can't help me, and that he'll have to transfer me to a level 2 tech. I get put on hold for around 5 minutes and when he comes back I am told that "no level 2 technician is available", and that I'll get a callback the next day. I ask if I can hold for a level 2 technician, but am told that is not possible and I'll get a call back.

The next morning, the internet is fixed but the TV still doesn't work. I don't really watch TV, and it's the summer so hockey hasn't started, so I decide to actually wait for the callback. I waited one week and it simply never came. That sucks. I called back and they fixed the TV in about 5 minutes.

Even though my internet problem was fixed, when I am told I will get a callback, I expect one. My experience is consistent with that of many clients I have tried to help in store.

In short, the services provided by Bell (especially for FTTH customers) are amazing. I have constant above-package speeds, on WiFi. The TV service is great, picture quality is what you'd expect, the features are fine, lots of on-demand stuff. If Bell could simply improve their customer service and technical support, they'd have a complete winner

Comments:
mintaka905

join:2006-11-03
Holland Landing, ON

install

30 min install... right,, ya sure.

W1LL

Re: install

Why not 30 min ? He said he lives in a new development which has FTTH already. I guess the wiring is already in the house, so 30 minutes to hook up a router and plug a decoder box to a TV sounds about right.
I'm getting my 50/50 in 2 days. No Fibe wiring in my house yet, they said 2-4 hours install.

Review by mand See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC
Good "Very stable, fast, good services"
Bad "Price increases regularly"

2010

I ordered Bell Fibe 10 plan.

Read carefully and be prepared to click few times to get the real price for only one service on Bell's website. That's a bad point.
The plan includes a modem/router/4 port switch that allows wifi B/G and 75 Gb of bandwidth usage that are more than enough for my usage at this time.

I'm happy with the very stable download speed which is 10.5 Mbits (advertised 10 Mbits) but I'm a bit disapointed with the stable upload speed of 0.7 Mbps (1 Mbits advertised). Condition for the speedtests: my everyday network configuration.

I don't like their mail service which is a customized Microsoft Hotmail account. The service isn't bad but I use a mail client to access mail boxes and mail that is spam doesn't show up. It is important to sometimes connect to the webmail to check for false positive spams.
Hotmail doesn't provide IMAP.

2011

Only one time 2 hours of service lost I'm aware of since I'm with bell. Don't now exactly what happened but I restarted the modem and all goes well again. Maybe I could restart the modem earlier to get the Internet back.

The Fibe 10 plan had a total price increase of 3$ this year. That's bad news.

2012

Starting the year there's a new bonus for Bell : 2$ more on the bill for the monthly internet service. This time I called them.

I have now 115 GB bandwidth.

Another bonus for Bell this spring: money savings for each bundled services dropped from 5$ to 4$.

I'm more and more interested to host my little website myself but Bell doesn't allow customers to run servers and they don't provide fixed IPs for residential plans.

I switched to another phone service. Internet download speed fall to 2.3 Mbits one month later. Had to call Bell a friday afternoon for the dry loop. All goes well again monday evening.

Had an issue with lost of service starting end of november. Had to call Bell 3 ou 4 times in 3 weeks and repeat things again. Finally a tech shows up without appointement. The problem was outside.

2013

Price increase on march bill: 3$.
End of march download speed upgraded from 10 to 12 Mbits.

Still good to very good service with Bell Internet.

June : Invoice increased 15% since december 2012. We move to another town. All goes well but we decided to go to cable especially for TV and Internet will follow.

July : I closed my accounts at Bell without any extreme hassle. Had some phone calls. All goes well.

Comments:

Review by raphzugen See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Service impressionant, FTTH à la vitesse de l'éclair"
Bad "Configuration Modem+Routeur compliquée"
Overall "Je le recommande !"

·Videotron
J'ai eu droit a une bell installation de la fibre optique chez moi. Installation rapide et service très courtois. Après 3 heures, tout dans la maison étais prêt et fonctionnel. La télé, avec son seul enregistreur partout dans la maison est très pratique. Malheureusement, le choix des canaux pour le sur mesure se regroupe seulement a une sélection de certains canaux. Certains des canaux qui sont sur mesure chez Vidéotron se vendent environ 5$. Pour l'internet, on a droit a une connexion avec un modem très rapide. Petit moins par contre, il y a pas de bridge mode comme sur les autres modem DSL de Bell, ce qui fait que la configuration avec un routeur est compliquée et diminue beaucoup la vitesse. Le service à la clientèle est très courtois et comporte un département qui lui est propre avec des agents québécois. La téléphonie est aussi très bien !

Comments:

jsmaster

join:2008-03-16
Montreal, QC

Bridge mode

Tu peux te connecter en bridge sans probleme.

Fait juste enlever ton nom d'usager dans la section internet et sauvegarde. ensuite branhe ton routeur, met le en PPoE et entre tes informations. la tv déjà en place ne sera pas impactée

Review by toro See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Great speeds, installation was great"
Bad "Cost is a bit high"
(ratings well above consensus)

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm on Bell Fibe 25/10 and I've only had the service for about 2 weeks. I ordered it using a Dell Grab and Go voucher which gives the first 3 months of service and free installation.

I asked for an evening appointment (after 5 pm) and there was no problem. The tech who came to do the install was great, very professional (unlike other Bell techs I dealt with in the past), he called in advance to let me know he was on the way and came on time. He had 2 hours allocated for it but finished everything in about an hour (he had to change the demarc box because I had an old rusty one).

The service is good so far and I am happy. I am not a heavy downloader, so I think the bandwidth allowance will be fine. I just wanted a higher upload speed than what's available on the ADSL tiers and cable. The only other option was Teksavvy (which has been my ISP for several years before switching) but because of the dry loop fee and mandatory modem rental fee imposed on the Fibe package, it would have costed me about $20 more per month.

Update, 3 months after the installation:

My 3 months of free service are up and I made some changes to my account, namely switched to a plan a bit cheaper, the 15/10 (same great upload speed which is the most important for me at this time).

Unfortunately I can't say the change went through without any problems but all were fixed in the end.

The first problem was a technical one, they set me up with a profile with 8 Mbps upload so since my line could do better before the change, I called and asked to be tweaked. Initially I was told that's the best the line could do, then when I pushed a little bit they escalated it to the second level who said I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. The tech called me about 7-8 hours later and was totally unprepared, he said initially I was on the Fibe 6 package, I told him "that's not true", he said "call our customer service". Then a few minutes later he called again, said I'm on Fibe 15 and he will change my upload speed to 1 Mbps, because there's no such thing as 10 Mbps. I told him to stop, don't make any change and double check, he went and did it anyways and changed my profile from a VDSL to an ADSL one.

I opened another ticket and about 14 hours later my speed was fixed and works great.

The second issue was with billing, they tried to charge me starting 3 months from the day the service was ordered rather than the day it was installed. I opened another ticket (over their chat) and this got fixed as well.

member for 9.1 years, 3471 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HackneyB See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Reliable service for the last 10 years"
Bad "avg. 5-10 phone calls to get any service changes right. Pricing not competitive."
Overall "Stable service but constant struggle to keep price low and changes done right."

Customer since late 90s. Never had stability problems with the service. $110 monthly cost includes two services - Internet and phone.

Pricing not competitive if you're in for the long haul - one deal lasting 12 months does not really count when you revert to fairly high pricing model after that. No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty. I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year.

Customer service and tech support was always polite but impossibly ineffective. Any changes equal days or weeks of follow up calls. Waiting for the billing to reflect changes. Waiting for unforseen scheduling for service changes. Getting told that the team you just spent 40 minutes waiting for, does not do what you need done. In total, every query or service change may translate into several phone calls and add up to hours spent on the phone.

Recent highlight - when unable to confirm some information or task, some Bell reps actually say they will call back and follow up on the promise which is a welcome contrast to most customer service organizations.

Comments:
TomsReports

join:2012-01-22

Loyalty

"No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty."

You are correct. In my experience, and the experience of my friends, quite the opposite is true: you must switch regularly to get decent rates. If you are only getting $5 off /month then you need to switch.

"I'd have to call every year to reluctantly get offered $5 off for a year."

I've asked people in retentions why they put me through this dance every year. I was told that this is just the system and that in the future I should just jump straight to retentions and not waste my time with the front line people who can't dole out the 'real' deals.

The whole system seems very wasteful to me, not to mention that I feel bad for elder, and less aggressive people who pay so much more then the rest of us. I wish they would just publish one set of (competitive) rates and be done with it.

Review by maats See Profile

• Location: Frankford,ON
Good "Solid connection, Reliable, Short wait time to contact someone"
Bad "Installation, Tech knowledge, Price, Promises not kept from Sales Reps"
Overall "Dependable once your up and running"

I had Bell Fibe 5/1 service. I ordered the service for 2 Aug 12. I was given a 6 hour window for installation. About 1100 hrs I noticed the Bell truck down the street and went to talk to the guy to see when he was coming to install my internet. He said I wasnt on the list and he was the only one working in the area that day. I said I had a fast dial tone on my line and he said you are probably already connected and gave me a 2 Wire modem and said to call Bell and get connected. I called Bell and told them the story and to make a long story short, I was up and running about 6 hours later. I was pissed about being told I had an appointment and the reality was that there never was an appointment. After that the internet worked flawlessly and I was getting 6/1 service.

4 Dec 12. I spoke with a rep online and asked if I qualify for the 15/10 service. He said that I did. I asked if I would get better than the 1 Mb upload I am current getting. He told me that my line would get close to the 10 Mb upload. I asked to be upgraded to the new service. I was on a promotion for 50% off with the other service until end of Jan 13. He told me that it would nullify that promotion and I would pay $49/Month in a Bell bundle. I figures the 10 Mb upload would be worth it. This is the series of events that followed.

5 Dec. Bell requests 6 hour installation window. Bell techs install new Sagecom Modem and leave. Download 10 Mb Upload 800 Kbps down. I call tech support and they said they need to send another tech out to my house. Need a 6 hour appointment window.

7 Dec. Bell sends out a technician and says the best my line will do in 11 / 1. I tell him I was promised by online reps after multiple tests that I would get at least 15/7. He says that its impossible.

8 Dec. A tech said he was working in he local area and ask if I would mind if he looked into my trouble tickets. He switched me from a ADSL to VDSL profile. Resulting in 7/.7 speed. He seemed very knowledgeable and helpful and then after working on it for 3 hours, he stopped all communication. the next day I called tech support to see what was going on. I was told that they couldnt see my modem and didnt know why I was connected. I told them about the speed I was getting and they said they would dispatch a tech the next day and needed another 6 hour window. They asked if I had a POTS splitter installed and I said no. They told me I needed one to get the advertised speeds. So once again I gave a 6 hr window. In the mean time I took the modem and connected it directly to the demarcation point and i got 15/1 service. I left the phone disconnected and only attached the modem to the jack. Solid 15/1 service. I called back tech support and told them I definitely needed the POTS spitter.

10 Dec. A tech showed up and installed the POTS spitter and everything was working. Telephones and Internet. 15/1 service. I called tech support and asked to have my upload speed increased to 10 Mb. They told my the best I could do was 1 Mb upload. I told them I was promised higher speed. They said they couldnt do anything. I had enough of dealing with Bell. I hung up the phone and took a shower. I came back the computer and ran a speedtest and now was getting 1Mg down and .1 Mg Upload. I called tech support and told them my speed has decreased. They said they would have to send another tech the following day with another 6 hr window. I was furious, but what can you do.

11 Dec. I received a phone msg saying the internet was fixed now and everything should be back to normal. I did a speed test and it was 1/.1. I called tech support and told them that I was back on the ADSL profile and that I should be on VDSL and have higher speeds. They told me that I should be on the ADSL profile and that they couldnt do anything about it. I asked them to change the setting to see if it made a difference. They complied and said they made the change. I didnt see the modem reset and asked if they reset it. They didnt understand why it didnt reset. The tech told me the name of my modem. I told them my modem is called something different. Turns out my connection was on the wrong port and they didnt know what port it was on and couldnt make any changes. Seriously, what do you do at this point. Guess what, another tech needs to be dispatched and another 6 hour window. I asked what kind of company calls a customer and leaves a msg saying everything is working and doesnt follow up to ensure the service. Poor communication.

12 Dec. I didnt bother to stay home because I knew that that issue was at the CO. When I got home, the Bell tech called to ensure that it was working. Speed is now a solid 15/1 service. I am so pissed off with this fiasco, I am considering cancelling my subscription and going with someone else. I will provide an update if I remain with this company at a later date.