Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

US Internet page on DSLReports

Review by watmore See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Fiber to the home-Outstanding"
Bad "Not available everywhere"
Overall "Excellent-Amazing (If it is available in your neighborhood)"

·PHONE POWER
·Norvado
I am reviewing the US Internet Fiber Optic Service in Minneapolis (not to be confused with the Minneapolis Wi-Fi). The fiber optic service is outstanding. I have 100 up/down but up to 10g is available. The service is rock solid, no down time, no slow downs, always fast.

As far as installation, the fiber is run underground. So obviously in a climate like Minneapolis, that doesn't happen in the winter. First our neighborhood had fiber laid underground. Then someone came and ran the fiber from the curb to the house. When all of that is done and the system is "live", a tech comes and runs the fiber from the side of your house to a gateway and a router. Then you get to call Comcast and say your good byes.

When I saw the fiber being laid in the neighborhood, I immediately signed up. Of course it was a matter of time before it was ready to use, but USI kept me informed and got us up and running as soon as they could. That is all a distant memory now, as my kids are all streaming Netflix and/or YouTube in high def and I never notice a slow down with what I am doing.

I couldn't be happier with them and the service.

member for 7.6 years, 513 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mattvogt4 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "PRICE!! Super Fast, reliable, great customer service"
Bad "not widely available"
Overall "1Gb Fiber for $64/mo, can't beat it"

Note - although it is the same parent company that runs the USI Wireless (US Internet) in Minneapolis, this is a totally different division (support, DC, routers, etc.).

Fiber directly to the house (1Gb today, 10Gb available if I want it) for $65/mo just can't be beat. I work in IT out of my house and I need a fast, stable and (very important) reliable internet connection. I was previously with Comcast/Xfinity and was constantly rebooting my modem and rarely could connect close to the speeds I was paying for. Now I can connect directly to my router and get 750Mb down and 800Mb+ up. Combine it with an AC access point and I get 300Mbs+ over wifi.

Having 1Gb symmetrical (same speed download and upload) is a game changer for as much data I send for work.

There are no caps, no throttling, no prioritizing of certain traffic over others, it's whatever I need, whenever I need it.

Biggest problem is that it's currently only available to about 30,000 Minneapolis residents. They are adding more lines every summer, but that's the problem with minneapolis, can't dig year round.

Comments:
political_i

join:2013-11-12

Neutral?

Sure it is not as widely available but are there other things that make it weigh neutral? I do prefer to hear about these smaller companies and would hope for maybe a little bit more info. How did install go?

Review by lsancho1 See Profile

• Telco party Qwest
Good "Great technical support, downtime is very unusual, overall satisfaction!"
Bad "The only downside is sometimes QWEST gets involved and it kinda ruins the moment!!!"
Overall "Awsome service, good prices, reliable Internet."

There are a couple of local ISP's here in the area. One of them being US Internet, many people have often ideas or comments regarding their services. My experience has been uplifting, custommer service is better than QWEST and response times is awsome. I suppose large corporations have lost track of the little man, yet we make a big part of their business. Thanks US Internet!

Comments:

Review by SeanH8 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Washington,MN
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "They have absolutly GREAT reliablility, nearly zero downtime, and amazing speeds!"
Bad "Don't know any.."
Overall "If you want a reliable, dependable, helpful, cheap ISP, US Internet is THE way to go!!"

We have been using US Internet for 3-4 years. They have been awesome!

My dad began using US Internet back when Internet was available. (maybe 3-4 years) He has never left them, and has AMAZING service from them. Recently we purchased DSL capabilities from Qwest. We quickly setup a DSL account with US Internet ($20 a month!). However, because my dad needed Dail-Up for work, they allowed us to keep his dail-up account for only $10 extra dollars!! (Therefore we pay $30 a month to US Internet for Dail-up and DSL, adn $31 a month to Qwest for the DSL line. Great deal!) This works out great. Right now we have a dynamic IP because it is easier to network with, but if we wanted to, we could have a static address, as that is what is included by default..

US Internet ROCKS!

member for 13.2 years, 10 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by todd

• Location: Whittier,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good bandwidth, low downtime, static IP available, Linux friendly, low user to bandwidth ratio"
Bad "Nothing major"
Overall "In 10 months of service, only 3 hours of downtime--awesome!"

I have had DSL with USInternet since August 1999, and dial-up since April
1999. I have been using them since then with awesome results. USInternet
has a no nonsense approach to configuring their system--they don't use
cock-eyed or proprietary authentication schemes. It's very easy to
configure your system and use their Internet connectivity.

I use Linux for my primary (and only) OS. I have no problems connecting to
them and have no problems with the quality of service. If you're looking
for someone to provide great service at a reasonable price in L.A. County,
then USInternet is the place. I am uninformed of their DSL solutions in
Orange County or San Bernardino County or if they even exist.

USInternet's home page is »www.usinter.net. Browse the site for
contact information.

Note that I rated the pre-sales information at 4/5 only because I was using Linux and they didn't have any other Linux customers at the time, so there were a few if's involved with my service. The only problem I ever had was due to a bad modem--replaced it and all worked well, then I upgraded to DSL. It's the best thing that I have ever done.
Blue skies... Cannonball »www.mrball.net
* One GUI to rule them all, One GUI to find them *
*One GUI to bring them all, and with the blue screen bind them*
* In the land of Redmond, where the shadows lie. *

(review was emailed from domain mrball.net)