MegaPath page on DSLReports

Review by sigma4506 See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "SPEEDS ARE AS PROMISED"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Good service"

ORDERED 5000&2000
TECH ARRIVED AT 9AM THEY WERE FINISHED AT 2PM
ACTIONTECH MODEM
dynamic IP
GOOD SERVICE, IF YOU CAN MOVE FROM CABLE DOOOOOO IT

Comments:
saradon

join:2001-03-29
Bethesda, MD

just upgraded

I've just upgraded to a bonded 2/2 circuit. I'll let some time pass and see how it goes; seems decent so far.

Review by mrsam See Profile

• Location: Metuchen,Middlesex,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "So far, DSL is still reliable, more or less, as Speakasy"
Bad "Ongoing migration to Megapath is a fiasco"
Overall "Poor communication and coordination of the Speakeasy/Megapath migration"

After being a Speakeasy customer for many years, got a pair of emails this week.

The first email notified me that my hosted web site is being migrated, and gave me the technical info I need to repoint my DNS to their new web servers. Crystal clear.

The second email notified my that my shell account is being disconnected, with no replacement.

Now, I update my web site by copying the updated content, files, etc... to my shell account, and into the web site's directory. See the problem?

So, now I've been on hold with not one, but two reps, who are responding to my perfectly logical questions with a, basically, deer-in-the-headlights response. Nobody can tell me how exactly I'll be updating my web content, after the migration.

What a meltdown. The first rep had no idea what this high-falutin' thing called a "shell account" means. After being on hold for five minutes, she came back and told me how to update my MX DNS records. Thank you, lady, but that wasn't what I asked. Back on hold I go.

Some minutes later, the second rep comes on. He asked me to read the email that they, Megapath, sent me. He as completely uninformed, but, after reading the email, he apparently understood, at least some of it. But he had no answers, so back on hold I go.

After coming off hold, the second rep informed that, yes, after the migration is complete, I'll have access to some mythical tool, to update my web site. And that I should've gotten a third email with the details.

For some reason I couldn't understand, he could not just give me the necessary details. All he could do is open a ticket, for someone to get back to me tomorrow, with the details.

And so, a 42 minutes later, I have a ticket number, and no answers.

Utter incompetence. Not to mention that they gave me only about a week's heads-up.

Update:

Sadly, the migration did, in fact, turn out to be a major clusterfracas. Somehow, the rocket scientists managed to copy my web site to the new server, but forgot to copy the top level .htaccess file. I also had a couple of add-on domains hosted under the primary web site, and the domain forwarding did not work at all.

The most prudent course of action was to quickly move all my sites to another hosting-only provider, which I did. Then, I had lots of fun trying to cancel the web hosting portion of my account. Billing is still screwed up, but I'm sure they'll straighten it out. In another month, or so.

Comments:

Review by seeyal8r See Profile

• Location: Cerritos,Los Angeles,CA
Good "NONE"
Bad "Way too much to list in this little box"
Overall "AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS"

Just a small sample of what this company calls Customer Service.
A) Missed first and second appointment to install DSL and no phone call or email to explain
B) Technician came and said AT&T would now need to get involved to cleanup the line. They'll be back after that. (BTW-AT&T came and found nothing wrong with the line)
C) Six weeks later DSL is in but won't stop dropping out
D) Long story short - they never provided what was promised so I went back to Speakeasy
E) A year later MegaPath, whom purchased Speakeasy, had a disconnect order that they forgot to cancel and my company went almost two weeks without internet and I was told that there's nothing they could do so had to open an entire new circuit as though I was a new customer. No Internet means no email, no orders from the website, no support for MY customers.....
F) Now that MegaPath switched Speakeasy email to their side, I've lost ALL of my contacts.

It just never ends. How does this company stay in business. I sent emails to their "alleged" customer service and have never heard back. It's a Black Hole.

Comments:

rodmiller

@speakeasy.net

Megapath Botched Migration

My web sites and email have been down for nearly two days now and they can't tell me when they'll have it fixed. As soon as I can get the email downloaded I'll take my business elsewhere. BTW, for the person who's infuriated that their "upgrade" took away a feature I used, shell prompts, there is a way to do that on their new system: shell-temp.speakeasy.net; little solace since "temp" implies just that. Also note that some login changed from "username" to "username.speakeasy.net". Sheesh. What other ISPs offer a shell prompt and direct FTP for web site maintenance?
sk43

join:2003-11-18
Geneva, IL

Re: Megapath Botched Migration

Just discovered that my email is also not available - now I know why. I've been weathering the Speakeasy -> Megapath migration process without any real trouble before this, but for how much longer?

Fremont, OH

This is why you host your email with it's own domain name and NOT using the ISP's domain.

It's one thing to use the ISP for email hosting but not using your regular "Free" emails.

Review by infintiy005 See Profile

• Location: Los Gatos,Santa Clara,CA
Good "internet works"
Bad "if you need support better luck with the guy at 7eleven"
Overall "okay if it works, bad if you need support"

We ported our phones and data to them. Initially things were fine and then we started to notice problems. The real problem was the voice project manager was not helpful when there were issues. We still have 4 tickets open and they have closed them multiple times without actually fixing them.

Very unhappy. Would definately not recommend because of lack of attention to support issues.

Comments:

Review by thomamas See Profile

• Location: El Cerrito,Contra Costa,CA
Good "No reliability issues"
Bad "Speakeasy migration is being handled very poorly"
Overall "I'm not clear they're a good value"

As a former Speakeasy customer, I was looking forward to upgraded mail hosting since Speakeasy's hosting has always has never worked well with iPhones.

However, the announcement mail didn't explain how my account would be handled. They explain how speakeasy.net and hosted domains will work, but I have an older setup with a personal domain that forwards to a speakeasy.net address. The phone support engineer I spoke to was unable to understand my question and wouldn't let me talk to a higher tier of support. At this point, I'm concerned that some of my addresses will not work after the migration.

Additionally, he explained that Megapath will bounce all of my incoming mail for 48 hours during the migration. That's a very poor way of managing this.

I feel like I'm paying a premium for good service and reliability, so if the migration doesn't go well I'm tempted to move my mail hosting elsewhere and switch to a less expensive provider.

Comments:

Review by BwayRodder See Profile

• Telco party Verizon
Good "As Speakeasy, never a connectivity issue thru weather or human events."
Bad "Since full absorption to MegaPath, reps are rude, incompetent and unwilling to help."
Overall "Never again. Not looking back."

Since the full absorption of Speakeasy into MegaPath, reliability and customer service have hit an all time low. This week alone I've had more downtime in 9 days, than in the previous 12 years. I own multiple bridges I've tried to restore service with, that have been confirmed working on other circuits. Tier 1 techs insists a field tech HAS to come out (at $150 initial fee), even after MP and Verizon both have confirm my line and sync are good. Most likely the failure is at the DSLAM, but MP refuses to contact Verizon regarding this.

All around, I've contracted with a new provider as of today. A truly wonderful company (Speakeasy) has been completely destroyed by MegaPath. I won't be returning anytime soon.

*UPDATE* MegaPath service is still insisting on a service call during *proper* access hours M-F 9am-1pm or 12pm-4pm. Yet no proper action has occurred on their part with Verizon to diagnose the central office issues. Utterly mind boggling. I cannot wait until my new circuit is online the end of the week!

Comments:
ZoeF

join:2013-08-02
Seattle, WA

MegaPath!

I agree fully with the previous comment. In addition to all that this person said, MegaPath stole $509 out of my checking account and will not cooperate with me or the Washington State Attorney General's office who represented my complaint to them.

When the merger was complete we were given new account #s. I had been a Speakeasy customer for YEARS! And, had nothing but wonderful service from them. MegaPath failed to close my old account, creating a "ghost account" that accrued an unpaid balance. I pay my bills electronically (I have learned that I must do this now through my credit union, and not let companies take $$ out directly) and my real balance was zero. For some reason the "ghost account" went into my checking account and took the $509 it thought I owed them.

I have tried many, many times to get my $$ refunded. They ignore me, won't return calls, ignore emails, or give me some song and dance about "we will get back to you soon". My frustration is over the moon. I will next take them to small claims court. WHAT I WANT TO DO IS WRECK THEIR REPUTATION ALL OVER THE INTERNET. Shame on them. But! This is definitely a David and Goliath situation - what power do I really have?

Re: MegaPath!

MegaPath has no real "reputation" as they once did. They have nothing to destroy. Google their CEO/President and you can call their office and actually get someone higher than a call center. Weather you get someone that is willing to work with you is another thing. But you should try being a partner of their's and really get treated like crap.

-1 recommendation

Re: MegaPath!

We are truly sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Please email us at connectme@megapath.com with your account information and a few more details and we will follow up with you.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

1 recommendation

Re: MegaPath!

Anonymous user at cox.net.I would not give you anything the way i see it
BwayRodder

join:2013-07-31

Re: MegaPath!

Not only did I not receive a response, my original Trouble Ticket was CLOSED last night with no resolution whatsoever! I STILL have a dead circuit!!!!

that is what they do.
BwayRodder

join:2013-07-31

Re: MegaPath!

Clearly.. Ordered a new circuit with a different vendor. Turns out that the new vendor is reselling with MegaPath facilities. Result: New circuit is not working properly yet either. Different physical pair. Different physical site wiring. Only thing in common is the same DSLAM in the same CO.

The new vendor is now telling me 'we're' possibly going to have to dispatch a tech. I'm about to relent and dump all of it. At least cable in my town is reliable.

Review by imsronen6 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Call quality "
Bad "Customer service and over billing"
Overall "You'll spend more time that you would like to deal with overbilling and issues "

I've used megapath for about two years now. I moved to a new location about a year ago and since have had nothing but problems with them first they couldn't figure out how to get me set up behind a sonic wall. We solved the problem by forwarding my numbers to another desk phone i was using (i'm subleasing office space). Six months later they start over billing me for call overages even though i'm just having my incoming calls forwarded from one 310 number to another 310 number and paying them for a call forwarding program.

They have also been billing me for a voice mail box on when i don't have a service through them anymore.

Long story short, if there's an issue expect hours of phone time with their customer service to resolve.

Comments:

Review by neo27 See Profile

• Location: Torrance,Los Angeles,CA
Good "tech support line quick to answer calls"
Bad "connection problem everyday"
Overall "internet provider from hell"

The company I work for has been subscribing to Covad internet service since 2002 (if I recall correctly). We rarely had connection problems with Covad for almost 10 years with them.

Covad recently merged with Megapath. After the merge, our SDSL connection becomes a nightmare. We have been having connection problems constantly. This year (2013) is the worst of all. We subscribe to SDSL 1.5Mbps. Our normal speed is around 1.2 - 1.3 Mbps both directions. For the past 5 months, we have been getting 0.1 to 0.5 Mbps down/up speed. At times we have no connections at all. This happens every week. We have ruled out our network being the source of the problem. I did speed test with nothing but 1 computer connected directly to the SDSL modem. Same speed, 0.2Mbps down/up. Reboot the modem, retest the speed. Same crap, 0.2Mbps.

I make a routine call to Megapath support a few times every month. Support asks me to do the same thing whenever I call, disconnect the modem so they can do a loop test. Megapath has sent AT&T technician to our office to check the line. He told me there was nothing wrong with the phone line.

Megapath then sent their own technician to replace the modem with ADTRAN Netvanta 3133. Speed test was about the same after the modem got replaced. The technician finally concluded there is nothing wrong with the modem so he put the old modem back on.

Adding insult to injury, Megapath billed us $150 for technician dispatch that did not fix anything. Of course I filed a dispute.

Every few days we get normal speed, 1.2Mbps down/up. Then the slow speed problem happens again after several days getting normal speed. There I am again talking to Megapath support and doing the exact same thing that I have been doing for a million times, disconnect the modem so support tech can do loop test.

I am going in circle with no resolution in sight. If anyone is thinking of Megapath as their internet provider, THINK HARD! You will end up with a barely usable connection.

Comments:
TBBroadband

MegaPath

MP has changed since they have taken over both COVAD and Speakeasy. We used them for a short time at our office until we had our network built to reach us and as you can see from our review pretty much the same. Although our T1 was being routed from Ohio to Texas and at times traffic would get pushed through LA. Talk about a horrible route from the east coast.

MP was a great company to work with and do business with from a partner level (which we were) and a customer stand point, but much has changed and they fail to realize it. When more CLECs and ISPs for B2B sales/services comes back MP will feel the push for better services.
neo27

join:2013-07-03
Torrance, CA

Re: MegaPath

Thanks for the info, TBBroadband. I got a voice mail from Megapath support a couple of days ago. He acknowledges that there have been multiple dispatches to our office as well as to their central office but the random disconnects and slow speed problems still persist. Basically I was told that there was nothing more they can do to fix the random slow (or no) connection problem. He suggests terminating the service and re-sign up and opt for a different circuit.

I've been with Covad for 7+ years. Never had any serious problem like this, ever. Megapath took over and... bam! FUBR'd the service. My last speed test: 0.03Mbps down, 0.21Mbps up. I'm getting lots of timed out requests as well. I'm better off using 56Kbps dial-up connection.

I will take that advice. I am shopping for a different internet provider now. Too scared to sign up with Megapath regardless of what service they offer.
Expand your moderator at work

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

Re: MegaPath

Sounds like you've run into a bad port on the DSLAM. Sign up for one of the ADSL2+ based services. It will be provisioned on different equipment.

If you try to sign up w/ a different carrier, except AT&T, what you're likely to run into is most everyone uses Covad loops to provide competitive service and you're right back where you were. IM me if you need a hand finding something better.

}Davoice

mfo74

@mycingular.net
We had Speakeasy/Covad for several years. During that time we've had very few issues. Maybe once or twice its gone down for maintenance late at night. Since MegaPath has been in the picture we've had continuous problems. Always seems that someone from the phone company disconnects us blocks away and Megapath takes weeks to figure it out. Lately its been poor customer service, their support seems to lack necessary training, and their English is becoming a second language. It's unfortunate for us that we were talked into a year extension on our contract for a free month's service.
Beware of MegaPath before you sign.

Re: MegaPath

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. We would like to address the issues you outlined. Please email us at connectme@megapath.com with your account number and contact information. I will work with our service team to assist you.

Moe

@comcastbusiness.net
We terminated service with Megapath, and they promised several times both over the phone and in e-mail that we would not be billed or charged past the termination date. We had been customers for years, so there was no issue of early termination. However, we continue to be charged as if no termination occurred, with late fees and penalties. We continue to be hounded by their collection department, which disclaims any knowledge of termination. The best excuse is that they have a new billing system. Well, I understand. It's not like they have any experience with "computers" or "telecommunications."

Review by Ant See Profile

• Location: Clanton,Chilton,AL
Good "Constantly above subscribed speed"
Bad "Overal cost is high when including modem, installation, and monthly bill."
Overall "Good provider, better than incumbant phone provider."

Before the merger, Megapath offered resell on their DSL Service. After the merger, it is hard to get that same agreement in writing. This was the main reason we chose to do business with them. Otherwise, pricing is higher than the incumbent CLEC but Megapaths connection is stable and reliable. Tech support available 24 hours a day and very helpful last time called but it's been over a year since last call due to no issues. I supplied my own DSL router and setup with tech support was a breeze. Overall, I would rate them a good service provider. One must understand though they do not really have any last mile infrastructure and are at the mercy of the incumbent CLEC or LEC for that last mile connection. Usually, Megapaths customers are put on a separate circuit which makes all the difference in the world.

Edited: Fixed spelling errors.

Comments:
TBBroadband

I/C-Lec

MegaPath actually is a CLEC registered in all states they do business in. They have an "interconnection" agreement with the ILECs to have access to the copper networks. In some areas they do resell regular aDSL to businesses as a "business connection" but it is not. Much of the area that they cover now is only 50% of their former footprint. Before the Speakeasy/COVAD/MegaPath deal the footprint was MUCH MUCH larger in all aspects. Mega and their current leadership did away with much of their equipment in the field. Although a funny tidbit to know; the current leadership of MegaPath including much of the Board is from the former Northpoint Networks company who ended up bankrupt; including the CEO and President.

Review by agarillon See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Bad "Hate these people...destroyed speakeasy"
Overall "the worst ISP/inept customer service"

·Speakeasy
They can't solve problems when given the answers. They won't let seasoned IT talk with people who can understand them. Instead the useless tier 1 people have to run through useless scripts and tell me what's wrong...3 hours later, they still can't fix what I know the issues are.

Even a call to the Presidents office yielded broken promises by top executives. FAIL in the worst way.

Comments:

MegaPathHelp

Reply to MegaPath Review

Hello,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing frustration with MegaPath customer service and we would like address the issues you're experiencing. Please email us at connectme@megapath.com with your account information and contact details. We will work with the service team to properly assist you.
FRISBEE

join:2013-06-14
Albuquerque, NM

Re: Reply to MegaPath Review

I am also experiencing bad service with MegaPath, They bought out our old VOiP phone provider which was under $200.00 a month. When we saw the bill at 250+ and Inquired about the cost and ask for an itemized statement just to figure out where the extra cost was coming from we got the copy of our old contract and an early termination fee and a call from a collections company. Granted we were behind on our bill and were trying to catch up and do the right thing and were treated like dirt.

Re: Reply to MegaPath Review

Hi,

Please reach out to us at connectme@megapath.com with you contact information and account details so we can take a closer look at your concerns.