MegaPath page on DSLReports

Review by mrsam See Profile

• Location: Metuchen,Middlesex,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "So far, DSL is still reliable, more or less, as Speakasy"
Bad "Ongoing migration to Megapath is a fiasco"
Overall "Poor communication and coordination of the Speakeasy/Megapath migration"

After being a Speakeasy customer for many years, got a pair of emails this week.

The first email notified me that my hosted web site is being migrated, and gave me the technical info I need to repoint my DNS to their new web servers. Crystal clear.

The second email notified my that my shell account is being disconnected, with no replacement.

Now, I update my web site by copying the updated content, files, etc... to my shell account, and into the web site's directory. See the problem?

So, now I've been on hold with not one, but two reps, who are responding to my perfectly logical questions with a, basically, deer-in-the-headlights response. Nobody can tell me how exactly I'll be updating my web content, after the migration.

What a meltdown. The first rep had no idea what this high-falutin' thing called a "shell account" means. After being on hold for five minutes, she came back and told me how to update my MX DNS records. Thank you, lady, but that wasn't what I asked. Back on hold I go.

Some minutes later, the second rep comes on. He asked me to read the email that they, Megapath, sent me. He as completely uninformed, but, after reading the email, he apparently understood, at least some of it. But he had no answers, so back on hold I go.

After coming off hold, the second rep informed that, yes, after the migration is complete, I'll have access to some mythical tool, to update my web site. And that I should've gotten a third email with the details.

For some reason I couldn't understand, he could not just give me the necessary details. All he could do is open a ticket, for someone to get back to me tomorrow, with the details.

And so, a 42 minutes later, I have a ticket number, and no answers.

Utter incompetence. Not to mention that they gave me only about a week's heads-up.

Update:

Sadly, the migration did, in fact, turn out to be a major clusterfracas. Somehow, the rocket scientists managed to copy my web site to the new server, but forgot to copy the top level .htaccess file. I also had a couple of add-on domains hosted under the primary web site, and the domain forwarding did not work at all.

The most prudent course of action was to quickly move all my sites to another hosting-only provider, which I did. Then, I had lots of fun trying to cancel the web hosting portion of my account. Billing is still screwed up, but I'm sure they'll straighten it out. In another month, or so.

Comments:

Review by seeyal8r See Profile

• Location: Cerritos,Los Angeles,CA
Good "NONE"
Bad "Way too much to list in this little box"
Overall "AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS"

Just a small sample of what this company calls Customer Service.
A) Missed first and second appointment to install DSL and no phone call or email to explain
B) Technician came and said AT&T would now need to get involved to cleanup the line. They'll be back after that. (BTW-AT&T came and found nothing wrong with the line)
C) Six weeks later DSL is in but won't stop dropping out
D) Long story short - they never provided what was promised so I went back to Speakeasy
E) A year later MegaPath, whom purchased Speakeasy, had a disconnect order that they forgot to cancel and my company went almost two weeks without internet and I was told that there's nothing they could do so had to open an entire new circuit as though I was a new customer. No Internet means no email, no orders from the website, no support for MY customers.....
F) Now that MegaPath switched Speakeasy email to their side, I've lost ALL of my contacts.

It just never ends. How does this company stay in business. I sent emails to their "alleged" customer service and have never heard back. It's a Black Hole.

member for 12 years, 6 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

rodmiller

@speakeasy.net

Megapath Botched Migration

My web sites and email have been down for nearly two days now and they can't tell me when they'll have it fixed. As soon as I can get the email downloaded I'll take my business elsewhere. BTW, for the person who's infuriated that their "upgrade" took away a feature I used, shell prompts, there is a way to do that on their new system: shell-temp.speakeasy.net; little solace since "temp" implies just that. Also note that some login changed from "username" to "username.speakeasy.net". Sheesh. What other ISPs offer a shell prompt and direct FTP for web site maintenance?
sk43

join:2003-11-18
Geneva, IL

Re: Megapath Botched Migration

Just discovered that my email is also not available - now I know why. I've been weathering the Speakeasy -> Megapath migration process without any real trouble before this, but for how much longer?

Fremont, OH

This is why you host your email with it's own domain name and NOT using the ISP's domain.

It's one thing to use the ISP for email hosting but not using your regular "Free" emails.

Review by thomamas See Profile

• Location: El Cerrito,Contra Costa,CA
Good "No reliability issues"
Bad "Speakeasy migration is being handled very poorly"
Overall "I'm not clear they're a good value"

As a former Speakeasy customer, I was looking forward to upgraded mail hosting since Speakeasy's hosting has always has never worked well with iPhones.

However, the announcement mail didn't explain how my account would be handled. They explain how speakeasy.net and hosted domains will work, but I have an older setup with a personal domain that forwards to a speakeasy.net address. The phone support engineer I spoke to was unable to understand my question and wouldn't let me talk to a higher tier of support. At this point, I'm concerned that some of my addresses will not work after the migration.

Additionally, he explained that Megapath will bounce all of my incoming mail for 48 hours during the migration. That's a very poor way of managing this.

I feel like I'm paying a premium for good service and reliability, so if the migration doesn't go well I'm tempted to move my mail hosting elsewhere and switch to a less expensive provider.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by imsronen6 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Call quality "
Bad "Customer service and over billing"
Overall "You'll spend more time that you would like to deal with overbilling and issues "

I've used megapath for about two years now. I moved to a new location about a year ago and since have had nothing but problems with them first they couldn't figure out how to get me set up behind a sonic wall. We solved the problem by forwarding my numbers to another desk phone i was using (i'm subleasing office space). Six months later they start over billing me for call overages even though i'm just having my incoming calls forwarded from one 310 number to another 310 number and paying them for a call forwarding program.

They have also been billing me for a voice mail box on when i don't have a service through them anymore.

Long story short, if there's an issue expect hours of phone time with their customer service to resolve.

Comments:

Review by neo27 See Profile

• Location: Torrance,Los Angeles,CA
Good "tech support line quick to answer calls"
Bad "connection problem everyday"
Overall "internet provider from hell"

The company I work for has been subscribing to Covad internet service since 2002 (if I recall correctly). We rarely had connection problems with Covad for almost 10 years with them.

Covad recently merged with Megapath. After the merge, our SDSL connection becomes a nightmare. We have been having connection problems constantly. This year (2013) is the worst of all. We subscribe to SDSL 1.5Mbps. Our normal speed is around 1.2 - 1.3 Mbps both directions. For the past 5 months, we have been getting 0.1 to 0.5 Mbps down/up speed. At times we have no connections at all. This happens every week. We have ruled out our network being the source of the problem. I did speed test with nothing but 1 computer connected directly to the SDSL modem. Same speed, 0.2Mbps down/up. Reboot the modem, retest the speed. Same crap, 0.2Mbps.

I make a routine call to Megapath support a few times every month. Support asks me to do the same thing whenever I call, disconnect the modem so they can do a loop test. Megapath has sent AT&T technician to our office to check the line. He told me there was nothing wrong with the phone line.

Megapath then sent their own technician to replace the modem with ADTRAN Netvanta 3133. Speed test was about the same after the modem got replaced. The technician finally concluded there is nothing wrong with the modem so he put the old modem back on.

Adding insult to injury, Megapath billed us $150 for technician dispatch that did not fix anything. Of course I filed a dispute.

Every few days we get normal speed, 1.2Mbps down/up. Then the slow speed problem happens again after several days getting normal speed. There I am again talking to Megapath support and doing the exact same thing that I have been doing for a million times, disconnect the modem so support tech can do loop test.

I am going in circle with no resolution in sight. If anyone is thinking of Megapath as their internet provider, THINK HARD! You will end up with a barely usable connection.

Comments:
TBBroadband

MegaPath

MP has changed since they have taken over both COVAD and Speakeasy. We used them for a short time at our office until we had our network built to reach us and as you can see from our review pretty much the same. Although our T1 was being routed from Ohio to Texas and at times traffic would get pushed through LA. Talk about a horrible route from the east coast.

MP was a great company to work with and do business with from a partner level (which we were) and a customer stand point, but much has changed and they fail to realize it. When more CLECs and ISPs for B2B sales/services comes back MP will feel the push for better services.
neo27

join:2013-07-03
Torrance, CA

Re: MegaPath

Thanks for the info, TBBroadband. I got a voice mail from Megapath support a couple of days ago. He acknowledges that there have been multiple dispatches to our office as well as to their central office but the random disconnects and slow speed problems still persist. Basically I was told that there was nothing more they can do to fix the random slow (or no) connection problem. He suggests terminating the service and re-sign up and opt for a different circuit.

I've been with Covad for 7+ years. Never had any serious problem like this, ever. Megapath took over and... bam! FUBR'd the service. My last speed test: 0.03Mbps down, 0.21Mbps up. I'm getting lots of timed out requests as well. I'm better off using 56Kbps dial-up connection.

I will take that advice. I am shopping for a different internet provider now. Too scared to sign up with Megapath regardless of what service they offer.
Expand your moderator at work

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

Re: MegaPath

Sounds like you've run into a bad port on the DSLAM. Sign up for one of the ADSL2+ based services. It will be provisioned on different equipment.

If you try to sign up w/ a different carrier, except AT&T, what you're likely to run into is most everyone uses Covad loops to provide competitive service and you're right back where you were. IM me if you need a hand finding something better.

}Davoice

mfo74

@mycingular.net
We had Speakeasy/Covad for several years. During that time we've had very few issues. Maybe once or twice its gone down for maintenance late at night. Since MegaPath has been in the picture we've had continuous problems. Always seems that someone from the phone company disconnects us blocks away and Megapath takes weeks to figure it out. Lately its been poor customer service, their support seems to lack necessary training, and their English is becoming a second language. It's unfortunate for us that we were talked into a year extension on our contract for a free month's service.
Beware of MegaPath before you sign.

MegaPathHelp

@cox.net

Re: MegaPath

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. We would like to address the issues you outlined. Please email us at connectme@megapath.com with your account number and contact information. I will work with our service team to assist you.

Moe

@comcastbusiness.net
We terminated service with Megapath, and they promised several times both over the phone and in e-mail that we would not be billed or charged past the termination date. We had been customers for years, so there was no issue of early termination. However, we continue to be charged as if no termination occurred, with late fees and penalties. We continue to be hounded by their collection department, which disclaims any knowledge of termination. The best excuse is that they have a new billing system. Well, I understand. It's not like they have any experience with "computers" or "telecommunications."

Review by aphor See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Used to be Speakeasy"
Bad "Not anything materially like Speakeasy any more"
Overall "Why should you pay premium price for their substandard service offerings?"

I used to rely heavily on Speakeasy to provide rock solid uptimes for my outbound and inbound VPN access and inbound remote data access. Their support had been legendary. That was a long time ago. AT&T and Verizon have been aggressively rolling out VRADs, locking CLECs out of the high speed DSL market, and Speakeasy was forced to hunker down under Covad's umbrella. That arrangement was a step down from what I'd expected from years of Speakeasy DSL. Now things are getting leaner. Megapath is an also-ran brand, and the service outages I've suffered in the last month since they started pushing for contract renewals smell like desperation to me. They want to sell me higher speed service, but they can't compete with cable or short-loop VRAD terminated DSL. I'm now evaluating alternatives.

One year on, and problems with my local loop seem to have stabilized, but the main complaint most people will have is that unless you are just lucky: that you live close to a CO, and that you have a short loop, you will not be able to get decent speeds. Recently Covad started shutting down all of the old Speakeasy account infrastructure, like hosted email, and probably other stuff. 2012 was the year MegaPath killed off the remaining vestiges of the Speakeasy brand. Since they have no chance of building out VRADs or reselling short VRAD loop ADSL, 2013 is time for me to drop MegaPath.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Problems

What type of problems have you had with MegaPath recently? I represent them (along with 15+ other CLECs) and are not aware of any problems except that they heavily rely on a company called Global Capacity in over 90% of their serviced areas since they pretty much gutted the COVAD/Speakeasy networks. GC is basically a wholesale company they place orders through and are again, resold to companies such as Qwest(CentLink), AT&T, and about 100+ other companies. So your uptime/downtime could depend on those companies and who they partnered with.

J Henly

@208.85.211.x

Re: Problems

They can't keep their lines up or with even the same level of quality any more and their now surly support staff don't have any interest in pushing the LEC's to improve their lines like Speakeasy used to. Also, their accounts payable department is a disaster. They regularly took more than 30 days to register a payment that the bank confirmed was delivered, they "lost" multiple monthly payments ... although they "found" them as soon as I had my lawyer (at $300/hr) send them notices, and once I terminated my service with them, they sent no final bill and sent the account to collections before the bill would even have been due, then after another round with my lawyer, they admitted that they owed me for over a months billing due to their unbelievably bad accounting.

Re: Problems

as far as network goes, as I've stated. The old network is pretty much gone. Now its resold and using various partners that is just backhauled to the MP data center in DFW. The old Speakeasy and COVAD days are long gone as those networks are gone. Very little of them are still around. This is even the network ELink was using for ADSL2+ and New Edge Networks, all gone.

I can't speak for the billing department as I've never had any contact with them, but I can comment on the rest of the company- as far as support and network.

Scob42

@kclinc.org
I too am very concerned about the poor performance of Megapath. I was a happy Speakeasy customer for several years. I am now paying over $80 a month for a less than dial-up quality service. My speeds used to be fairly fast for our location. For example it took over 20 minutes to download Firefox yesterday evening. There were no other devices on my network at the time. I also can't find anything if there are any guarantees about upload/download speeds. It seems after I signed a 2 year contract is when the problem started.

Scottford

@carnegiescience.edu

Megapath Rips You Off During AND After

I was so proud of myself a few years ago when I switched from AT&T to Megapath and brought my invoices down from $700 to $450 per month. Their installation seemed to go well at first, but a couple of months after installation our outgoing internet stopped working. I discovered the reason was that, even though they had installed all their equipment, I had still been hooked up to AT&T for sending. I know this doesn't seem to make sense, but it was when AT&T finally got wise and shut us off that our sending stopped working. That was our first experience with getting Megapath to admit something was their problem.

Phone and internet companies control many of the strings to business success. So, how do they expect their customers to do well when all the onus of chasing down a problem is put on the customer, so that the customer cannot pay attention to business and instead has to sit on hold or running test after test (all the same tests over and over again) just so that Megapath can avoid responsibility. It only follows that either their customer will have to end service or go out of business because we can't receive emails and phone calls. I do not know how it profits Megapath to treat customers this way, in the long run.

Things with the T1 line were fairly good for a couple of years (after they finally fixed the initial AT&T service mix-up), except the service was slower than advertised.

Then, last year, the bill went up $200 a month. This was due to "new taxes," so maybe I can't blame them for this, but still it seems like they should have done something to compensate or compromise to insulate the shock. Sticking on a new tax we weren't warned about and expecting us to just keep paying seems looney-tunes.

When we fell behind in paying this year, they had an internal collector call us. When we received that call, we had just been in a bad car accident. We were dealing with police and insurance and getting all three of the injured to a doctor. The collector was so humane that he gave us two hours to call back and make a payment. I understand his job is to collect, and our problems are not his problems. However, what kind of a person does it take to give people in a physical crisis two hours instead of, say, 24? I hate them.

In the last month our service failed completely. This failure had nothing to do with the payment issue. We would call and every time they would try to make us run the same internal test. They obfuscated and delayed sending someone out with a new device, or to even move the problem up the ladder. In an entire month, we were on the phone (mobile phone) almost every day for over an hour. Finally they told us they had people in the field working side by side with AT&T (those guys again?) and, when they finally told us everything was working, it wasn't. I hate them. I ended service with them and am not only going to refuse to pay my last two months of service, I am sending them an invoice for all the hours we spent on the phone listening to red herrings.

Review by evincent001 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Reliable service"
Bad "Very expensive and poor speed"
Overall "DSL speed has gotten slower instead of faster and very expensive"

I was originally with Covad, which was bought out by MegaPath. The good thing is the service is very reliable with outages only every six months or so and they don't last too long. The bad part is that my line speed is getting worse over time, not better. I currently get 1.2 down and .3 up. A few years ago with Covad I was getting 2.8 down and .7 up. I can't really blame the provider - the issue is that the service is coming through 40-50 year old copper phone lines that are decomposing more and more every year. The other issue is the cost - I pay $120 a month for this service. I have tried Clear wireless but they are just as bad (if not worse) because they throttle your service after a few months. Verizon FIOS isn't available in my neighborhood. All of this is amazing because I live in Los Angeles, not in some rural location. I've checked AT&T DSL but the only level they can offer to my address is .8 down (again due to ancient phone lines).

I'm about to try TWC cable for internet service. Will update this review to report on how that goes.

Comments:
TBBroadband

MP

I am a MegaPath business partner and I have a T1 from them. I have the same issues. Why on earth would you route dedicated lines from one side of the country to the other before going to the Internet is beyond me.

The company has totally gone done hill and I'm waiting for a new line to be installed from another company to finally be done with the service. Especially when I hit 100+ms to Google in Cali from Ohio. Any other provider I'm under 30. Even on my cell phone doing tethered I hit below MP's current numbers.

Review by TBBroadband See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Company responds when filling out survey"
Bad "Company does NOT communicate nor care."
Overall "look else where."

I WAS a MegaPath Partner. I ordered a T1 for personal/business use in my home as the local cable company did not offer business services/static IPs to anyone wishing to install in a residence/residential address (this includes apartment complex offices as well).

So I went and ordered the service with my Account Team and everything was on the roll. Little did I find out prior to ordering. MegaPath actually contracts and RESELLS services from CenturyLink and a company called Global Capacity (a telcom broker). Communication stopped there. NOBODY knew anything at any time. I had one install date issued by MegaPath that was totally wrong and if it wasn't for AT&T calling to confirm an install date I would have never known.

It took countless calls to MP to get that figured out and still to this date they never realized they were wrong. It was all AT&T's fault.

When installed, the router was shipped NON-PROGRAMMED and they wanted to dispatch AT&T to come out AGAIN to program the router MP sent- 2 weeks later. Or ship a new router out and hope it was configured. I managed to get someone to do it by remote.

Tech support is HORRIBLE. They're rude, hang up on you, and put hostile comments about you in their notes- which are available ONLINE for YOU to see in your account. Management does NOT care. I ordered more IPs for my network as I was using static for everything, they informed me I would have to reprogram EVERYTHING on my network and wait up 72hours before anyone would configure the router, I had to email others to get this done ahead of time.

Bottom line is; still 60 days later, and no commission check either for this line that I should have received by now. Also going to Qwest/CentLink and purchasing directly through them, as MP has my T1 connected to LA instead of Chicago. My ping times are 90+ on average and even YouTube is unusable at times, even on a T1.

Comments:

Review by kmhargan See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Bad "Horrible customer service; undependable connectivity; has no interest in residential customers."
Overall "If you are looking for residential service and customer support, look elsewhere."

I began as a Speakeasy customer with dialup when Speakeasy was out of a little cafe in Belltown, Seattle WA. As soon as DSL was available in my area (Oakland, CA) I switched to DSL and VoIP. This spans a decade, and was hands-down the best customer service ever experienced. Trouble tickets were done online, and customers could follow the progress, and always had a way to contact the tech handling the issue. First red flag was the sale to Best Buy; customer service deteriorated some, but still maintained the Speakeasy "brand." The last couple of years saw a merger with Covad and finally Megapath. The focus is exclusively on business service, and residential customers are out of luck. In the month of June, I spent 265 minutes on my cell phone (and exceeded my monthly minutes) trying to get my VoIP service back, which had been down since the first of June. In one service call, which lasted 109 minutes, the tech actually told me "I know nothing about residential service." He proved his words to be true. The online ticket service has been done away with and it is as far from Speakeasy as could be. It is more than disappointing that a small company allows itself to be totally consumed by a behemoth and lose all identity that kept customers loyal for years.

Comments:

Review by nanaki333 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Good "Used to be great service with primo Support when was Speakeasy"
Bad "When Megapath took over, you're lucky to get any support at all"
Overall "If you're looking for business service, look elsewhere"

UPDATE: 8/1/2012

Service started acting up again 7/19/2012(as if it stopped, but this time really bad) having dropped packets and brief outages (once again, cable modem was fine plugged in to same firewall). Called in to a tech and they confirmed I had high packet loss and there was indeed a problem. They would open a ticket with XO to correct the problem. By this time, the line has stabilized as it always does, but as always, the problem comes back. 7/23/2012 comes around and I finally hear back and now they say there are no problems with the circuit so nothing will be done. Completely ignoring the problems they discovered and my long laundry list of tickets. Enough is enough. I'm ready to cancel everything.

Submitted request to cancel service on 7/23/2012 (they ask you email to create a ticket for this when I called). Few days pass and nothing. Create a new ticket for cancellation 7/30/2012.... Nothing back as of today (system says give them 24 hours. I about a week the first time and 48 hours the second time). Sent ANOTHER request to cancel. Sent about 20 emails today that I want to cancel and would like acknowledgement of this. If I hear no response from this, I'm trying the phone again. If that gets me nowhere, I am contacting the BBB and the Attorney General. I have not been under contract any longer for about 5 months and wish to stop my service.

Megapath seems to think by ignoring my requests and pretending they never happened is a good way to retain customers.

UPDATE: 7/16/2012

Took Megapath a week to get back to me on my intermittent problems. Once again, nothing was done because they saw no problem while testing. If they actually took care of things when I say I'm having problems, my service may actually be fixed. It is completely random when it happens and it can go on for hours, days or even weeks at a time. In the 3+ years I've had their EoC service, it has never been what I could call reliable. Can't wait for the fiber to get here. I would not use Megapath again even if the service was free.

OLD

Had multiple T1s, DSL and EoC service for the last 10 years and service used to be great. Ever since before Megapath merged with them, support is non-existent. I've got great stories of incompetent phone techs, to on-site techs.

10Mb EoC service drops to ~6.6Mb up/down with sporadic packet loss. Switches, router, cabling, everything has been changed out except for the service provider. Calling in with an outage is useless. They usually just wait it out and don't want to get to the root of the problem .EoC constantly has pairs that go out and I'm told to just reset the modem (Hateras) every time. How about fixing my service so it doesn't happen?

Data T1 has been out solid for the last 3 months. When I tried to finally cancel, my request went ignored for nearly a month. Only reason it was finally noticed was I put in several tickets, phone calls and emails telling them to cancel. Good thing the data T1 was only a backup to the unreliable EoC.

I still have EoC while I wait for my fiber install. I'm currently using Comcast cable modem as my primary connection now with EoC set for all site-to-site VPN traffic until my fiber comes in.

When I moved service to a new building, they never turned off our old service, so it was just gathering money and late fees. Finally they came to us and said we have to pay ~$8000 or they're cutting off all our services. This confused us cause we're always on time. After digging around is when we discovered it was at our old address that we had vacated over a year ago. Cut them a check and it took over a month to get our money back when we finally got to a top exec.

Phone service was a chore getting setup. After setting it up on a Friday evening and migrating everything over, we unplugged equipment from the test area to move it in to the rack. The tech forgot to save-to-rom, so all of the settings were completely reset. Called in to 'support' and they said it was a problem with our PBX (trixbox). Tried telling the techs that it was just working and stopped immediately after we moved the equipment back. We were told "Enterprise Support" has left for the day and won't be back until Monday and to call back then. After a bombardment of emails and calls Friday and Saturday, an 'Enterprise Support' tech called us on a Sunday and confirmed exactly what we said.... The config that was currently showing was the default with no changes made.

On a side note, sales people don't know the difference between phone services they offer. They do not know the difference between analog, PRI & VoIP. Asked for PRI, as is reflected on contract and was given VoIP/SIP. Took about 6 months to finally get a PRI handoff. Happy to say the phone service has been pretty reliable though. I get a lot of email notifications of Megapath SIP outages. Thank goodness I don't have that anymore!

Stay away!

Just thought I would update already. For the past week our EoC has been going offline completely, instead of just a pair. Good thing the Comcast cable plugged in to the same router has been reliable.

Jul 9 02:58:08 apinger: ALARM: WANGW(216.156.120.9) *** delay ***
Jul 10 14:47:31 apinger: ALARM: WANGW(216.156.120.9) *** down ***
Jul 10 14:48:47 apinger: alarm canceled: WANGW(216.156.120.9) *** down ***
Jul 10 17:11:47 apinger: ALARM: WANGW(216.156.120.9) *** down ***
Jul 10 17:13:23 apinger: alarm canceled: WANGW(216.156.120.9) *** down ***

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

I hear you.

Our bandwidth is dual-homed, part Cavalier, part Cogent. Problem is one leg of our leased fiber belongs to Cocmast. It has gone down four times in the past six months and every time it is the Comcast segment of the link.
nanaki333

join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

Re: I hear you.

luckily my Comcast cable modem has yet to show any signs of instability. the EoC connection from Megapath is provided by XO. i've had stability and packet loss for years and XO doesn't care one bit. if it's not showing any signs of failure for the 5 minutes they run their test then there's nothing wrong. even when Megapath provides logs to XO showing they had packet loss, along with my packet loss and alarms, they just brush it off. apparently i have to figure out some sort of schedule for the unscheduled downtime for them to test and see a problem.

once our fiber goes online i can be rid of Megapath completely. earthlink is going to be providing it with AT&T and Verizon providing the links.