MegaPath page on DSLReports

Review by sigma4506 See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "SPEEDS ARE AS PROMISED"
Bad "NONE"
Overall "Good service"

ORDERED 5000&2000
TECH ARRIVED AT 9AM THEY WERE FINISHED AT 2PM
ACTIONTECH MODEM
dynamic IP
GOOD SERVICE, IF YOU CAN MOVE FROM CABLE DOOOOOO IT

Comments:
saradon

join:2001-03-29
Bethesda, MD

just upgraded

I've just upgraded to a bonded 2/2 circuit. I'll let some time pass and see how it goes; seems decent so far.

Review by richbrown See Profile

• Location: Eugene,Lane,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Good technology and voice quality with WAN connectivity to all of my sites"
Bad "Paperwork was bit of a pain."
Overall "Great product for the price..."

Megapath has provided by service for almost a year now and I love what love provided! I have 22 locations and they were able to build me a private IP network with phones/voice to all locations with 4 digit dialing and no long distance charges when dialing those locations. I love the portal and the mobile voice product that is on my smart phone. I would certainly recommend Megapath to other mulit-location users.

Comments:

Review by mrrabbit See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Salesman and tech support understood exactly what I wanted and why."
Bad "There's always someone on the team who can't be bothered to read their paperwork."
Overall "Got what I wanted, but had to put up with at least 2 people who turned KISS into KIS."

As of 1998, I have been a Flashcom, Speakeasy, Best Buy, Speakeasy and now Megapath customer. My shared 1500/384 Residential ADSL line has served me well overall, it's just that every time AT&T rotates Voice field service technicians through my area, the following would happen:

"Hmmm...not a good voice line, let's put a load coil on it!"

Down would go the data portion of my line.

Covad would have to call the CO and ask them to ask the field service technicians to remove it. They would remove it - but then unlock my ADSL. My ADSL would do a Flash Gordon and then flame out requiring a power cycling.

So then I'd have to ask that the NOC lock my modem download speed-wise to about 1024 for stability. Things would be well for awhile....but then...

...a new crew of AT&T Voice field service technicians would arrive and the cycle would start all over again.

So on 6/19/2012, I finally said, "Enough is enough! Besides I could use an upgrade as well with a higher upload speed provisioning!"

So I called Megapath, got a hold of a salesman who understood "dry loop" dedicated ADSL.

The plan was simple:

1. Primary pair with current voice and shared DSL would not be touched from here on out except for shared ADSL cancellation in 30 days..

2. Secondary unused pair would become a "dry loop".

3. 3000/768 Dedicated Business ADSL would be provisioned for the "dry loop."

4. In the future AT&T Voice field service technicians could do all they want at a whim with the primary pair with voice only - I couldn't care less.

5. The secondary pair "dry loop" with Business Dedicated ADSL would be left alone from here on out.

I pre-authorized Megapath in the contract to cap the download if necessary WITHOUT any need to contact me. My neighborhood wiring sucks...that's all there is to it.

Things started out beautifully. On the morning of June 25, 2012, the AT&T Data field service technician who I know already showed up to examine my clean NID with tags indicating the primary pair with Voice and Shared DSL, and the secondary pair intended for "dry loop".

After a quick chat, he understood exactly what I was doing and verified the secondary pair as being clean to the street - but open to the CO. So he immediately put in a dispatch for a wiring guy to cross-connect through the junction boxes and green huts to the CO. That person got to work right away.

...but someone on the AT&T crew didn't read their paperwork right - and assumed my that contact number in the request WAS THE LINE TO WORK ON.

From 12:00pm until about 9:00am the following morning, my primary pair was cross-connected to either CO test equipment - or quite possibly - a *Verse green hut. For 4 straight hours in the afternoon - I had constant intermittent ring testing, digital tone testing - and no voice or DSL.

So I called AT&T HQ. The lady I talked to wanted to argue - she couldn't take my word for it - she kept insisting that my line wasn't connected to CO test equipment or other AT&T equipment. She didn't stop arguing until I yelled:

"YES!!! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PERCENT CORRECT. THERE's NO REQUEST FOR WORK ON MY PRIMARY LINE. THE CO IS NOT WORKING ON MY PRIMARY LINE. THE WIRING GUY IS NOT WORKING ON MY PRIMARY LINE - ONLY THE DRY LOOP. AGAIN, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. BUT SOMEONE WORKING THE HUTS IS DOING WORK ON MY PRIMARY LINE THAT WAS NOT REQUESTED OR AUTHORIZED!!! YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHO THAT CONFUSED PERSON IS AND TELL THEM TO IMMEDIATELY UNDO IT!!!"

So all night long, no voice, no DSL...

The good news though was that the folks tasked with establishing a "dry loop" finished that afternoon...Megapath emailed a verification of the "dry loop" completion.

On the morning of June 26, 2012, an AT&T data line guy arrived to test the "dry loop" data quality and capacity. Everything looked good. I notified him that someone failing to read the paperwork has messed with my primary line without authorization. "Zeke" said, "I'll take care of it..." That he did, an hour later my voice and shared ADSL was back up.

AT&T would have scored 5 stars. But the "unknown" and confused field service technician working the huts ruined the day. As I stated in the "Bad" summary, there's always someone on the team who's not on the same page as everyone else. So I score AT&T "4" stars.

So, now we are ready for Megapath to do their work. Megapath informs me via their ticket system (which I like - it's crude, simple and to the point) that their technician would be on my premises July 2, 2012 between 9:00am and 1:00pm.

I go ahead and wire the NID posts of the secondary pair "dry loop" to an inside jack. I also go ahead and construct a crossover RJ45 to RJ11 patch cord and place adjacent to the jack. I also provide a space on my MDF board for a new modem - and leave a couple bags of #5 and #6 3/4" screws for mounting hardware.

I then update the Megapath ticket letting them know the gate is open and has access instructions on it. I also provide Megapath the access code to the door to my premise. I also provide assurance that there are no threatening animals on the premise.

I then call and ask a Megapath representative to make certain that their field technician gets the information as I will be gone during the install period for 2 hours. The representative indicates they have already notified the technician.

So everything is all set - all the technician has to do is arrive at the gate, let himself in, punch in 4 numbers on the door keypad - take 15 minutes installing a new modem - and let himself out. Bam! Easy said easy done...

...but when I get back from my appointment at 12:15pm, there's a sign on the door that says:

"Sorry We Missed You". with a notation of 11:45-12:00.

I call Megapath in Austin and let 'em have it:

"If I don't see that field technician out here by 1:00pm, the contract will be considered to be in jeopardy - any attempt at cancellation fees will be met in Santa Clara County small claims court."

2 hours go by, no action.

I call Megapath in Austin and ask for legal. They bounce me to Megapath in Canada. Megapath in Canada says there is no legal - and passes me on to...

...believe it or not, Megapath in San Jose, right where I'm at.

A very nice lady answers and immediately transfer me to a person named "Matt" who she says will get the situation addressed right away. Matt, who reads my ticket and agrees that I have made things very simple for everyone re-schedules the technician for 5:30pm.

So I cool off and wait...the technician arrives at 5:35pm....

...and rings my doorbell.

*sigh*

"Why are you ringing my doorbell?"

"Huh?"

"If you read your paperwork, it says right here, (flipping to the back two pages), to use the gate and use the access code noted right here to let yourself in."

"Oh..."

So I lead him to the gate, show him the gate instructions, let him in, show him the door, and demonstrate how to enter a door keypad access code on a door already open.

"In the future, make certain you read ALL of your paperwork, because there is always a customer like me who wants to give you everything you need to do your job simply and quickly."

"Sorry sir..."

So he spends 40 minutes installing the modem/router...

"Um sir, your download is not very good, we may need to monitor for 24 hours and ..."

"I already pre-authorized download capping in the contract!"

"Oh! Okay, no problem..."

So he takes a minute to finish up...and packs up his gear. I thank him for coming back - and hand him 2 zucchinis picked 5 minutes before from my backyard garden.

"How are these eaten?"

"Slice and grill, or slice and boil."

After he is gone, I go ahead and patch the new modem Ethernet port to my WAN bridge hub. I put a temporary IP on my laptop and run a speed test:

1280 Down
651 Up

I would have given Megapath 5 stars for this successful install - however like with AT&T, there was one member of the team who was LITERALLY not on the same page as everyone else. The person in question didn't even read their paperwork. Thus I score "4" stars for Megapath.

Overall, I tentatively have what I want. A "dry loop" based ADSL that hopefully AT&T field service technicians will have no reason to tamper with on a whim. I also have the higher upload speed upgrade I was looking for. A higher download would have been nice, but I prefer stability hence my lower expectations and pre-authorization given for download capping.

This afternoon, July 3, 2012, I switched my network, firewall and server environment over to the new service - and updated Network Solutions for the domain side of things.

Suggestion for both AT&T and Megapath:

Make it clear to your technicians to read their paperwork in its entirety. Better yet, read it twice. Don't piss off the customer who is in the IT business himself who is making every effort to provide a clean and self-accessible environment to keeps things simple and efficient.

Don't turn KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID into KEEP IT STUPID.

Big "Kudos" to "Zeke" of AT&T and the "Lady" and "Matt" of Megapath-San Jose

I'll back to update this review in 3-6 months.

=8-)

Comments:

Review by syattdsl See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Alexandria City,VA
Good "Tech support"
Bad "none"
Overall "very satisfied"

We havea T1 connection in which we have a VPN for our company, First Georgetown Securities. We have had a couple times of service interruption, but we are overall very satisfied with the service. Even when the issue was not on the MegaPath side, the technician was very helpful even though it was not required. Ryan Rogers was efficient, fast, and very polite as well as very knowledgeable in his field. ME, being a stock trader first, IT guy second...he was very easy to work with. Actually, now that I think about it, he is the best technician I have had assist me to date.

Netopa device, T1 circuit

Comments:

Review by madmax20005 See Profile

• Location: Lookout,Pike,KY
Good "Fast Install just under 21 days with local loop provided by at&t"
Bad "None so far other than a contractor showed up to configure my router"
Overall "Great DS1 line with under 60ms round trip with sla of <110ms"

Very fast install and great support circuit turn-up team.
I have little to review about this provider at current time as services were only turned up Friday, The only bad thing well not really bad point was a contractor showed up to configure my router how ever this was not needed and he left about 10mins after he got here after verifying ciruit was online

I supplied my own router Cisco 2621XM and csu/dsu had no problems with configuring for dmz and lan access

Will post more at a later date

Comments:

Review by ROKKSTAR See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Best service and tech support bar none!"
Bad "none"
Overall "The ISP I have had so far"

I have been with Megapath for mearly 8 years and love them.
1.54 SDSL and getting 2.0 SDSL speed.
Tech support is the best, and always fast to answer the phone.
Yes I pay more than there current rates since I signed up years ago.
But for the quality of service and support I get it's worth it.
can't say enough about this ISP.

Comments:

Review by mtm10 See Profile

• Location: Los Gatos,Santa Cruz,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Very reliable service (4 years)"
Bad "Hard to reach customer service sometimes"
Overall "Once you get to a human, they fix the problem"

I have a T1 from Megapath because we have no cable, too far for DSL, and satellite is too high latency. (Megapath is reselling Covad T1 over Verizon wires). I beam the T1 to 5 neighbors via Proxim Tsunamis, and hence get the cost down nicely.

Comments:

Review by SCCutler See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Fast Effort, Good Communication after NP Shutdown"
Bad "A Little Line confusion"
Overall "Hats Off to MegaPath for their efforts!"

Update 8/07-

No longer with MegaPath, but their service was top-notch to the end. We have now changed over to Birch (bundled phone and data on a T-1).

Update 4/17-

As a DNV (Designated Northpoint Victim), we were in big trouble when we found out that NP was going to shut down; MegaPath had ordered the new line through Covad before NP stopped working, and we had a SWB wiring date scheduled soonthereafter; SWB showed up on the appointed day and wired; there as a bit of confusion when, the evening of the CO line installto the demarc in the building, we received an email which said that the wire install had "failed" (Whatever that means)- I sent along an email telling them that the wire was in place, waiting in the demarc with a nice ident tag on it, and they sent a subsequent email stating that after additional "testing," the new line was ok (whatever).

Next day, got message that Covad scheduled to install 4/17; and around 9:30 am today, a knowledgeable and competent Covad tech showed up, did the install in about 20 minutes, and answered all the questions posed to him. All up and running, very happy, already placed my order to bump speed from 384 to 768. Now have a Netopia 7200T in place.

Now TELOCITY, on the other hand, still hasn't managed to get a line ORDERED. But that, my friends, is another story entirely.
________________
This part was from before...

We came to MegaPath through the Phoenix acquisition (failure?). Was a little bit miffed when the call informing us of our pending changeover came in on a Saturday (or Friday night)- outside of business hours, but hey, they have a lot of changeovers to do. So we had to "do the hustle," since the 'Net is muy importante to our business. Various problems with our firewall and verifying source of trouble after cutover from Phoenix's DS3 to Mega's, but Mega's Tech Support absolutely, positively, would not quit, and ultimately got things running (problem was at NorthPoint). Good tenacity, and the feature set for the buck is pretty good. I'd deal with them again.

Now, if I could just get some response from Telocity (at the house!).

Comments:

Review by jcirinci See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Great Technical Support, Excellent handling of the LEC, allows other routers"
Bad "Expensive, no support for Cisco IOS"
Overall "Worth the extra money for their tech support"

Looked at Cable - Comcast is the local but performance is poor. Close enough to the B-box to get 6M/608k - average real throughput is about 4M/400k. I had a package which is no longer available that has this 6M/608k with 5 static for $85.25 / month after some odd discount of $100+.

I have had MegaPath for ISDN, ISDL, and ADSL. Very happy with thier technical support when I have problems - able to quickly determine where the issue is. Especially good at handling the LEC which is a blessing for me. MegaPath uses Netopia for their CPE. Not bad gear, easy to manage text menus BUT.... they also allowed me to use my own CPE and gave me all the VC information to configure it - NICE!! Wish they had people on staff that know IOS and would be willing to configure / monitor using a Cisco router.

Comments:

Review by smcquality See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Customer Retention Team is wonderful"
Overall "Would Recommend Megapath To Anyone"

I do not wish to sound like a commercial, but Megapath has been a wonderful provider for us. We recently negotiated a speed increase (to 1.5 Mb download, 348 upload) while reducing the monthly bill. Also, when our router (three years old) began to fail they pre-configured a replacement while their tech support walked a technical moron through the install process. We now have better service than ever at the lowest cost we've ever paid. I have learned that my fastest response comes when I contact my customer retention agent before I contact tech support. They know how to get things done over there.