Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Morgan1970 See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Was once a good alternative to cable. This is no longer the case."
Bad "Must bundle voice service in order to get DSL. Poor communication between departments when service issues arise."
Overall "Congestion issues and neglect of infrastructure have made Verizon DSL a much less attractive option."

·Charter
03/02/2015: According to a rep here, my line is showing stability issues. His tool is showing that my line is dropping packets. Which explains the buffering issues with streaming video. There is no noise on the line when I listened for static, so this is going to be tricky to nail down the cause of the instability.

03/01/2015: For the last couple of weeks I've been having these strange issues where my connection will simply die, and no web pages will load. Requiring a reboot of the modem in order to clear the issue. All four lights on my modem are lit and green, showing a connection with the DSLAM. But it's just dead in the water. My margins never drop below 9. I have to reset the modem every 6-8 hours to get a working connection back. I'll have to put in a request with the direct forum to have it checked out.

02/26/2015: Still at 10 Mbps.

02/21/2015: I've had to have the direct team re-provision my line three times this month because the ASSIA keeps trying to place me at 15 Mbps. When doing so my margins drop down as low as 2-3 causing numerous retrains per hour. I've been told by Presidential Appeals that my line would be removed from the optimization, but after 5-7 days or so, it's back again. For now, I am back at 10 mbps, and after 7 days, so far it hasn't come back.

01/13/2015: No new issues to report. Service has been stable. I sometimes see minor congestion during the evenings, but I usually maintain at least 7 Mbps.

01/06/2015: My line was moved today to a less congested router in the DSLAM. I did several speed tests during peak hours this evening, and my speed never dropped below 8 Mbps. Something that hasn't happened since last year. The reps in the Verizon Direct forum here are amazing. They were able to accomplish in one week what I couldn't accomplish in six months dealing with the foreign support reps.

01/05/2015: I received a call today from Executive Appeals. She was friendly and said she would immediately escalate my issue, and see about getting my line moved to a less congested router in the DSLAM. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. She hopes to have a tech dispatched to my CO either today or tomorrow to make the change.

12/31/2014: I put in a request over in the Verizon Direct forum yesterday and I heard back from a support rep today that she was escalating my issue to their Executive Appeals department. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

12/22/2014: I've been unable to get anywhere with the tier one support reps. They want to assume that it's on my end, even though I have detailed logs showing it's a peak usage issue. My line is nearly useless from 5 pm - Midnight, and all weekend long. I'm lucky if I'm able to get above 1 Mbps during peak hours.

10/16/2014: I had a Verizon CSR here at BBR check my DSLAM and he said it's clearly congestion from being on an oversold CO and not anything physical with my line. I'm in the process of trying to have someone at Verizon move my line to another DSLAM in the same central office that the rep said isn't as congested. But cannot get past their tier 1 reps. This is going to be a real chore on my behalf.

10/15/2014: I'm still seeing congestion issues but they are happening throughout the day now as well. Not just in the evening hours. They are much worse after 5 pm though. Speeds are also very inconsistent. I can do a speed test and get 9.5 Mbps, then do another one 15 minutes later, and am lucky to get 3 Mbps.

10/08/2014: My speed improved dramatically after 11 pm. I'm now averaging 9.4-9.6 Mbps. Obviously there isn't a problem with my line, and this is evening congestion. Going to a faster tier isn't going to change that obviously.

10/07/2014: I came home at 6 pm and noticed I was still synced at 3360/864. I reset the modem and when it synced back up it shows I am provisioned at 11772/1136. However, after doing several speed tests at multiple sites, it shows I am only averaging about 5 Mbps. I was averaging 9.5 Mbps when I had this tier on this same line back in 2011 before going dry loop, and I never had issues with speed drops. I will test again after 11 pm. I have a feeling this is congestion in the Verizon network.

10/02/2014: I received a promotional email today offering Regional Essentials bundled with 7.1-15 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month for 24 months. I'm currently paying $36.99 a month just for 3 Mbps dry loop. I've been capped at 3 Mbps since I went dry loop in early 2011, and wasn't allowed to order anything faster, even though I had the 10-15 Mbps tier before I dropped voice service. I am not getting my hopes up. With Verizon anything is possible. My service ready date is set for October 7th. I'll update again after the order is processed.

09/09/2014: Still experiencing severe congestion issues in the evening, between 5-11 pm. My modem stats don't change, latency is usually normal, but my download speed drop sometimes below 1 Mbps. Upload speeds are almost always normal. Then after 11 pm, things go back to normal with the download speed. Calls to tech support are still just a waste of time.

07/11/2014: I've been noticing severe speed drops during the evening hours that started at the end of June. From about 5-11 pm my speed is dropping from my usual 2.8 Mbps to less than 1 Mbps. Then after 11 pm, it's back to my normal 2.8. Obviously my DSLAM is so full that when most people are home using their connections in the evening, we are see congestion issues. I called Verizon last week and didn't get anywhere. Which is not surprising. Their normal response is unplug everything. Wash, rinse, repeat.

10/30/2013: Nothing new to report. Connection has been rock solid for the last year with the exception of a few short outages lasting no more than an hour.

member for 12.3 years, 2335 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Cost of Verizon?

Since I'm in Ma Bell's area (AT&T), how much does Verizon charge for POTS and DSL? I wonder if they charge less than $60 because Ma Bell charges me $81 just for 6mbps internet and POTS service

Re: Cost of Verizon?

$44.99 is the advertised promotion right now for 3mbit to 15mbit DSL (best effort) + Regional Calling only in VA with a 2 year contract.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

They just recently started offering this promo to me here in MD, so I took advantage of it. Interestingly until now, they've had my line capped at 3 Mbps since early 2011 and wouldn't allow me to order anything faster, until this past week. The site suddenly allowed me to order the 7.1-15 Mbps tier. I was provisioned at 10/1 due to my distance.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Please report back if there are any congestion issues. Going by your recent review updates VZ is not doing too well.

Perhaps VZ found an excuse to finally install more backhaul or another DSLAM? (a miracle) Or they just gave up and now pretend to offer higher speeds with no backing for it.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

It appears they brought in more backhaul to the tower for LTE. I saw some Verizon vans in the area of the CO late last month which is next door to the cell tower in town. Most likely because more people are upgrading to LTE data plans. I assume they finally lifted their cap on DSL at 3 Mbps. My neighbor in my same apartment building said he was also able to put through an order for 10 Mbps yesterday, which hadn't allowed him since he moved here four years ago, and he also was stuck on 3 Mbps.

·Charter
I'm still having congestion issues. My speed has been hovering around 2 Mbps this entire evening since about 5 pm. Then shortly after midnight it picked up again, and now I'm getting 9.7 Mbps. It's almost like it's automated at scaling back speeds between 5 pm - midnight, because like clock work around 12:00-12:05 am, it picks up and it will stay at my full rate until 5 pm the next evening. Then I'm stuck with 2-2.5 Mbps again until midnight.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Do you know if the Comcast takeover of the broken Charter system in your area is going to happen for sure or not?

Have you considered T-Mobile wireless data, at least as a backup? They have strong HSDPA signal and possibly LTE in your town apparently. On an old AT&T iPhone 4 which only supports a little bit of the T-Mob network I can generally pull 5mbit down, 2 up with low pings (60-100) which is pretty great for 3G. If T-Mobile has LTE in your town, that will kill the rather laggard DSL and Cable competition - speeds ranging from 20mbit to 35mbit, with low pings.

Its worth a try, pick up a cheap LTE supported Android device to use for tethering, and test it out. No contract. Even though Tethering is not supported for unlimited (its capped at like 4gb) apps can get around that...

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Still no word on the Comcast takeover here. The last article I saw about it in the local paper was back in August, and it was still in the pending phase. I'm not so sure that's a done deal. It's been held up by the FCC for more input from consumer groups and states.

I have 3G for a backup on my cell which acts as as hotspot. I don't use it unless I'm out and about or if my DSL line goes down. My Verizon line rarely goes down, it's just slow during the evening. It's frustrating because I waited 4 years for Verizon to lift the cap at 3 Mbps, and when they do, now they have a problem with congestion, making getting 10 Mbps pointless since I rarely get above 3 Mbps from 5 pm - midnight.

I had Tim_K look into it for me and he said I'm on a congested line and that my DSLAM has been oversold. He said the only thing I can do is try to get someone at Verizon to move my line to a less congested one, if there even is one to put me on, or hope Verizon upgrades my DSLAM. I think we all know that Verizon isn't about to spend a red cent on upgrading their copper plant.

·Charter
I'm paying $36.99 for 3 Mbps (my line will support 10 Mbps but they capped my central office at 3 Mbps because the CO is full), and another $5.92 for voice which I'm required to take. I only have the minimum voice service. Basically dial tone service and all local outgoing calls are .10 cents each. I never use it. I don't even have a phone hooked up to the line. By the time they add the absurd fees and taxes to the voice service that $5.92 becomes $18.01. For a total of $55 a month.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

That is just embarrassing for Verizon to have a CO that cant handle the load of customers. They earn billions and do nothing.

Its just like their 4 CO's nearby me with no broadband of any sort.

They get too much credit for FIOS.

4 edits

Re: Cost of Verizon?

I totally agree. They just don't care about landline/DSL anymore. They want to focus on wireless where they are making record profits. I actually had 10 Mbps for over a year. Until my promo expired so I called in to scale back my voice service to the minimum.

So they used that opportunity to drop my line back to 3 Mbps. Even though the rep I spoke to said I would keep 10 Mbps. I spent the next several months speaking to at least 30 reps and 10 supervisors all to no avail. All I did was waste several months of my time.

They kept me at 3 Mbps and to add insult to injury, still had the nerve to charge me the same $36.99 a month for 3 Mbps that I was paying for 10 Mbps. Apparently that's what 25 years of loyal service as a customer gets you with the new Verizon.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Upload speed for DSL in 2014 should be a minimum of 1Mbps unless it is Annex M which should be close to 3.5Mbps. Sorry for your stone age DSL service. And to think it was supposed to be superior to cable.

Where is SDSL, VDSL, IDSL (Distance), Annex M, and bonded DSL? America is in a sad state of broadband. I still cannot believe Romania's slowest package is faster and cheaper than any American package.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Verizon is cheap. They still have ADSL1 DSLAM's around which is rather horrifying. A lot of these were in the footprint dumped off on Frontier.

Rather than upgrade DSLAM's or deploy FIOS, they sell LTE as the solution. Its more the solution for their money pile.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
At&t uverse VDSL can do 6mbps upload
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
Also Century Link VDSL pair bonding can do 50 mbps dsl.
Crimsonite
join:2014-12-12
Diamond Bar, CA

Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

I've been having the exact same problem as many of you for over 2 months now. I got the 10Mbps Enhanced DSL, upgraded from 3Mbps back in 2010, I was getting 8.7Mbps/840Kbps ~ 9.4Mbps/910Kbps with a 15ms ping for 2 years straight without any issues. In 2012, the speed gradually decreased, until it capped at 7.8Mbps/728Kbps and Verizon refused to put me back on the 10Mbps speed profile, they claimed their system detected congestion on my line so it's necessary to lower my speed profile in order to stabilize it. I believe they implemented ASSIA Optimizer in 2012.

Beginning of 2014, the speed dropped to 6.8Mbps/600Kbps ~ 7.2Mbps/700Kbps and ping above 35ms, often spiked over 50ms. I continued to put up with it, even though I've been paying $69.34 a month for DSL and basic phone line (required but we never use). In October things began to get a lot worse, constant disconnects started throughout the entire day. Took me a month to get them to reduce it to a minimum, still happens sometimes. But my speed has dropped below 6Mbps/600Kbps. Every single from 5PM ~ 12AM PST it drops below 3Mbps/400Kbps. As I was typing this it's at 1.18Mbps/400Kbps. And Verizon refused to fix it, they blamed my line and claimed it has been disqualified for the 10Mbps tier, and since I'm on the 7.1Mbps ~ 15Mbps package, 6.8Mbps on average is still normal so they won't do anything about it. I'm canceling it and be done with Verizon. It's an evil company with crappy employees.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

Verizon has abandoned all of us they deem unworthy for FIOS.

I honestly think that Comcast will beat them to FTTH at my address at this rate.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

My only hope for better service is if I get spun off from Charter to the new company GreatLand Connections that Comcast/Charter will have a joint venture in.

And even then, I probably only have a 50/50 chance that this spin off outfit will make the necessary upgrades needed at the cable plant here. Charter has neglected it since the late 90's. And Verizon is letting it's POTS/DSL lines rot into the ground. It's a sad state of affairs that this is what passes for service for a good chunk of the US population.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

so its confirmed you wont be going directly to Comcast?
I'm sorry for you. (Wow how screwed up that is, I am sorry that someone wont get to "enjoy" Comcast service! Sadly its the only decent choice for a lot of the country.)

Good news is that the guy they picked to run Greatland was known for being pro-customer....so there's that.

I would definitely not rank the service you are getting as positive, I would adjust the sliders so its more negative. Failing at peak time is pathetic.

·Charter

Unfortunately for me, I am stuck with Verizon DSL for fixed broadband at my address. My only other option is Charter which is much worse. Evening congestion with them would drop my line down to sub 1 Mbps. And I would experience at least one outage per week. I was paying them $60+ a month just for internet alone.

After reading about your ordeal, obviously I am out of options with Verizon. All of my contact with them have proved fruitless. I can't get beyond the tier 1 reps. I can't even stream SD streams with Netflix from 5 pm - Midnight without buffering and stuttering every few minutes. I can forget HD streaming, unless I want to wait until 1 am when my normal speed returns.
Crimsonite
join:2014-12-12
Diamond Bar, CA

1 recommendation

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

I have two other options in my area, either TWC Fiber or the crazy expensive business class symmetrical fiber ($600+/mo).

It's funny, the so-called free country feels very Commie to me in so many aspects.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

Good

Good to see that they are responding ... let us know what happens! Are you still syncing at the 10 Mbps speed?

Re: Good

Yeah. I'm currently synced at 13755/1045. I'm pulling in about 11.5 Mbps in speed tests right now. But it's only 9:30 am, so I can't tell if they actually moved my line yesterday or not since I don't usually see severe drops in speed until around 5 pm. I did lose sync yesterday afternoon after I checked my logs, but that happens on occasion anyway, so can't say for sure just yet.

I was unable to test yesterday evening during peak hours due to being busy. But hoping I can test it this evening. Executive appeals is supposed to call me to let me know when the move has taken place. I hope this clears up my issues. This has been a nightmare resolving.

Success

Well, its great your off of the congested equipment. My question is why did they not come out and fix it automatically, seeing a pattern of consistent congestion.
Comcast is putting in another CMTS in the headend to fix our local congestion issues that cropped up last month, and I did not even need to yell at them.

8 or 11mbps over ADSL2 from VZ is the good life - I am honestly surprised they are selling such fast tiers out of your congested CO.

Here VZ only sells up to 7mbps over DSL and the CO backhaul was upgraded to handle 500/500 FIOS.

Lets hope your copper loop stays in good shape or your doomed.

Re: Success

Yeah. That's what I would like to know too. I spoke directly with an employee in their executive appeals dept several times last week while the move was going down and she admitted to knowing that the other DSLAM where nearly all of the customers in my exchange are on is severely congested.

Yet, they just let it remain that way. I feel terrible for the folks who have sub 2 Mbps results in the evening hours. She said they've been aware of the issue for some time as apparently I am not the only one from this area complaining loudly about it. Several line techs that service my CO have told me the higher ups are all aware of the congestion in this area. How is this crap even legal? The FCC seems like nothing more than a sock puppet for these out of control telcos. And I don't see that changing any time in the near future. The whole thing is disgusting.

Meagain99

@verizon.net

Reliable connection?

Reliable connection my ass. But it's fine though, as soon as i switch I'll be sure to let them know that I thank them for the free sh*** service because they are not going to get any money regardless of Bill.

Re: Reliable connection?

I hear you. My connection was anything but reliable before I was moved to a new DSLAM last week. I'm just hoping it remains that way. But I know it's not likely. Unfortunately I don't have any other options for wired broadband. Or I would have dumped Verizon long ago.

Review by Wandab See Profile

• Location: Hardy,Franklin,VA
  • Telco party Verizon

Good Considering That The Only Options That Are Available Are Verizon DSL, Satellite, Dial-Up
I Am In A Comcast Area(TV) No Internet Available Different Tales At Different Times As Why Cannot Have
Last One Said They Sent Out A Survey Not Enough People Responded For Them To Consider HSI Internet In Our Area

member for 295 days, 167 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DSLmasterJOE See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "If u love S&M....this is IT. - 2015 UPDATE"
Bad "SNR downstream at 6dBs within a 7,000 loop. Was getting 15 see below "
Overall "as Red Foxx would say to Verizon " You Dummies ""

PROBLEMS

PART 1
Lets see....
the modem came in 3 days....Not BAD
the hook up was 3 weeks from that date......BAD
the service worked 10 days later. something.
about a router....then it was a profile issue.
Now its working but can't use proxy software ( sygate)
with it successfully. Proxy software works
Fine w/ old 56k modem....not there BA DSL.

PART 2...( months later of the S&M BS).
Had to by Linksys so i could play games between 3 computers...and even THEN i lose connections daily
( sometimes every 10 to 15 min.).
Especially with TRIBES. Manage to get Sygate to work....but can only attach to Tribes servers...other
games will not work thru Sygate. So...you my ask.." How do u get UT or other games to work..?" simple....
I take to ethernet cable out of the Sygate server.....and place it the Linksys DSL/Router.

And Let me tell you something....that shit is coming to an END when i dump BA for a provide who will
give my Static IP. Then ...and ONLY then.....will ALL (most) games work.....and i understand that Westell modem
sucks.
Should have came to this WEB site first to fine a real DSL provide. ( iNYC or AceDSL )
Still NO static IP... This PPPoE is full of crap...STAY AWAY

So......summary....If PAIN is your thing.....TRY BA.. and while your at it....TRY Uninstalling PPPoE ..then try to reinstall it.

SOLUTION:
Dumping BA.....
Getting a Static IP from a real DSL provider

Thanks for the HELL Bellatlanic
as the Robot said in LOST IN SPACE...." Danger Will Robinson...Warning ..Warning"

THE UPDATE. MAY 2003

Check this out. My friends told me Verizon has a new package of 1.5 down and 128 up for 34.95. So i called and asked if i can get the package. They said yes, but that i needed to talk to a tech the following day sometime between 8am and 1pm.... smiling i hung up the phone.

That day came and went w/o any call, so i called back and was informed that it would take up to 5 days to switch me over. I asked the agent if she noted anything in my log about the appointment i had the day before. She said yes, but it will still take up to 5 days to increase the speeds. fine i said.

Third day. I figured i'd call to find out the status. BIG MISTAKE. I was now told by the agent that i should've NEVER had DSL in the first place because i had and outstanding long distance bill dating back to 1990. That unless i pay the 300 dollar long distance bill, they would cut off my DSL asap. But, she then added i could continue to keep the DSL if i gave her a credit card number.

%#$$@ does this make any sense to anyone out there....
Of course i lost it and gave her the riot act. that didn't help any. She proceeded to try to explain that if i gave her my credit card info (and i dont own a credit card)
that the service would not be disconnect.

Now, i've been a Verizion (bellatlantic) user since at April of 2000. That's when i opened my DSL account, and they didn't say anything to me about outstanding long distance bills in disprute keeping me from having DSL. I've been paying my DSL bill on time since april 2000. Now that i want faster speeds like everyone slse is getting, now it's an issue.

Because of this im looking for another ISP

UPDATE: 2-23-2015

Im back - Lets see. All was OK since i late posted this. BUT in 2013 Verizon started using a optimizer called ASSIA that is supposed to monitor your line noise ( SNR ) and other parameters. Well guess what ? Verizon can't figure out how to optimizer the Optimizer.

Here is what is happening to me now. I'm about 7,000 feet away from the Central Office ( CO ). My SNR downstream is between 12dB and 16. This is a GOOD thing. Then one day in 2013 they increase my downstream speeds to 10mbs. BOOM. I started to get disconnected 1 to 3 times per day. Why ? Because my SNR is down to 5db. See Stats below:

SNR Stats
6dB or below noise margin is bad, it will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with little or no synch problems (if no large variation)
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

OK so Verizon an I were at it again. All they had to do was reduce my speeds to about 5 to 6 Mbs an my SNR goes up to 15dB. So they reduced my profile downstream to 5 Mbs. Guess What happened next ? The ASSIA optimizer kicked in a few week later and automatically increased my Speeds. SNR goes down, and so does my connection.

I call, get tier 1 or2 - they r totally clueless ( some are good ), after usually 40 minutes on the phone i get excalated to the CO, they reduce the speeds back to 5Mbs and SNR goes up to 15dBs, problem solved. Two weeks later ASSiA.........etc.

I connected the FTC, FCC and they contact Verizon. Verizon calls me ( Presidential appeals ) they remove me from ASSIA an that solved the issue. 3 months go by with no issues. Presidental Appeals calls me back and said " We are sorry but we have to put u back on ASSIA " I found out the ASSIA Support team over ruled the Presidential Appeals team. AH good work u dummies.

Just google ASSIA - this is a protocol for DSL companies where ASSIA somehow i thinks is vDSL. Somehow it is suppossed to allow copper wire to allow dsl to go as high as 20mbs down and 20 up. Yeh right ? This didnt work for Verizon since i'm calling in everyone 20-24 days.

This is me the ENTIRE story:
»[Connectivity] SNR and the relationship to Downstream Speed

At 2-4-2015 this is how they screwed me up even further.
Downstream Speed: 5846 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 6 dB

WTF !!!!

Dummies

Comments:

Review by zengshengliu See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Stable speed (as of right now)"
Bad "No higher speed offer."
Overall "Since this is the only ISP available for me, I got no choice."

Since this is the only ISP available for my house, I got no choice but to use this. Hopefully FIOS will be here soon.

Comments:

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

Sparse details

What speed do you have? How long have you had DSL? What's the reliability of the connection?
zengshengliu
join:2009-11-05
Philadelphia, PA

Re: Sparse details

I been using DSL 3.0Mbps down for the past 8-9 years. Most of the time it is reliable, but there is one time when the speed get drop to around 1.0Mbps (about 3 years into services). Call tech support and they claimed that my line can only get that speed, even after I told them I been getting 3.0Mbps for the past 3 years. After gone though 2 technicians, dozen phone calls, and 2 months, my speed finally resume to normal. After that, there is only a few problem where the PPP connection will drop and have to reboot the router to get it working (about once a month). Not the best, but got no other choices.

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Speed, assuming PC is optimized. Reliability dependent upon several factors, generally good."
Bad "Tech support abyssmal unless escalated to management levels or higher."
Overall "Good value for the money vs cable or dedicated line dialup"

Original price was 39.95 with bundled discount of 5.00, since has been lowered to 29.95 - 768 / 128 service. Westtel WireSpeed modem and filters included in kit which was sent out prior to service activation. IP is dynamic. WinPoET software.

Without optimizations from DSLR, it would be a bit disappointing, but still much faster than dialup. Still waiting for the 1.5Mbps service - am about 8800ft or so from CO. Verizon slow to verify distance(they say over 12,000).

It is a shame that they outsource tech support. I believe an in - house support center would be better.

4/04 - I am still waiting for the upgrade to 1.5Mbps promised back in May 2003. I have called a half dozen times for a loop test... They keep telling me different distance numbers every time I call.

5/04 Good thing I was not holding my breath. Verizon's customer handling is abysmal. I know they have increased distance limits, and I have spent countless hours trying to get the upgrade they know I qualify for. I do not understand why they are holding out on me. They told me they would perform an override for the request, but then denied it right away, two days before they were supposed to get back to me. I have had so many loop tests, I am loopy. Verizon employees must get paid by the lie. An MLT turned up excellent, 25ms. I do not know what they think they have to gain by jerking me around. I also do not know why I keep giving them additional opportunities to redeem themselves. I know that people locally have been given the upgrade, and the limit for provisioning has been raised, so I am going to call one more time, and then the FCC will receive my paperwork.

Funny, Verizon mailed me twice for this upgrade, and followed it up with two phone calls. How ironic.

6/2/04 Received an Email from Verizon announcing my Service Order is in. I had noticed a speed increase, then came here to confirm it: 1329/138. Not bad for an upgrade that would actually make my connection worse, as per the VOL reps. Persistence finally pays off, a little over a year later.

12/6/04 -** Update** Called to upgrade to the 384Kbps upload. Verizon facilitated it, surprisingly enough, in one day. Have been using it since about 11/22. Smooth, no problems.

6/7/05 **Update** Called in Late April/Early May to upgrade to the 3.0M service. As usual, the runaround. I was told I was 13,100 feet from the CO, although I have always had a house that moved, sometimes within twenty minutes while on hold with Verizon. I began the incessant ladder climb and the shuffle between billing, sales and tech support to no avail. Finally was given a number for Customer Service in Ohio?! ( Supposedly a NY#, I am PA! ) and spoke to a Rep who agreed to find out my true distance. They came back with 9600 feet (BBR lists 8800+, so acceptable variation) and it took about 10 days more to get the upgrade through. In all about a 20-day or so wait.

I lose synch often, sometimes four times a day or more. Speed is probably 75% of rated Down, about 82% of rated up. Usually 2200/600 or therabouts. I am not using Verizon's WinPoET, so they would likely blame that. I can live with it, and the speed is fine for now, no complaints - I would prefer not to power down the modem as often though.

Verizon would do well to stop advertising these speed upgrades so aggressively, then the balking when customers ask for them. They need to stop fudging CO distances as well. I always knew my distance was under their guestimate, having traced the lines approximately myself. Folks need to be persistent with Verizon in verifying distances. At least this time it did not take a year to procure the upgrade.

7/29/05 Verizon shoots themselves in the foot once more. I changed my phone plan with several assurances that it would NOT affect DSL, something I have done successfully before. DSL was canceled anyway. Tech support from the 800 number is a joke, but one that is unfunny. The first "tech" that I spoke to tried to help, making me repeat all of the checks I had made on my end. Since there was no sync and my phone line worked, it was obvious that the problem was on their end. I spoke to several other "Support Agents" - one who identified himself as "Edgar Esperanza". I assume he thought that was a clever trick to use the Spanish word for "wait" in his name as he places folks with trouble on Intergalactic Hold.

Verizon needs to revamp their "tech support" as soon as possible. It is insulting to be presented with the suggestion of logging onto a Website that a lack of Internet access prevents. It is a shame that the only true help that is available comes either by trial and error in finding a responsible person via the 800 DSL help line, or by escalation to Complaint Resolution personnel, the latter being the usual necessary route. As it is, restoring an erroneously-disconnected service takes way too long, despite the assurances that "we never are able to restore a service as fast as yours was". Verizon is WAY too compartmentalized and departmentalized.

I do thank the folks in Customer Relations who helped correct the buffoonery. Even so, I have downgraded the review in some categories. Frankly I am surprised that Verizon retains their Bronze level because their support is so bad.

**5/11/07 Nothing really new to report, but DSLR keeps asking for an update. I received an invite to FiOS, but unless the price is equal to the 3.0/768 I have now, it is a non-starter. My friend has it and says he has yet to see a difference. It is great to have 15/5, but apparently servers/backbones/page loading are the bottlenecks. My system is 80 times faster than his, but I'll need more evidence that there is a noticeable speed increase over what I have now.

**5/28/07 I ordered FiOS because the price is a bit better now. I will be going to the 5M/2M service because it is only 2 dollars more than what I have now. I also will be able to dump Verizon phone services, so that will put me ahead a few bucks.

**3/23/08 Still with FiOS, great change from DSL.

member for 12 years, 1871 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by onDvine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "The connection is relatively reliable"
Bad "Sometimes the modem needs to be powered off and on again to regain connection"
Overall "It works for us"

We switched from TWC's (formerly Comcast) broadband to Verizon DSL 5+ years ago because it was less expensive and friends used/recommended. No noticeable decrease in speed. ... Jan., 2015, Online DSL cost cut approx. $10/mo. by bundling w/land line.

member for 10 years, 4314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by polyphony69 See Profile

• Location: Lawndale,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good customer service"
Bad "Service is spotty and they don't do much about it if you live in a poor area"
Overall "Verizon can be good or bad depending on where you live and what services are offered in your area."

I've had Verizon Online DSL for over 10 years and I've always had no problems with my connection being slower than advertised. Now the speed isn't very fast but they clearly advertise what kinds of speeds you'll be receiving and for what price, and then you get what you pay for. Any issues I've ever had have been promptly corrected with a week after reporting it via their customer service number. Their DSL specifically seems to drop quite a bit if where you're living in is an older place and and inside wiring hasn't been replaced in a long time, making it susceptible to weather condition problems. Overall the customer service has always been great but I've had some hiccups with the service in general here and there. Overall I think the speeds offered in general by internet companies is a joke for what they charge but that's the state of things in the U.S. Verizon at least is very helpful for you to get the most of their overpriced service. I'm happy paying the premium price as long as the service works.

Comments:

Review by mherbst See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Mainly stable connections with medium DSL speeds"
Bad "Increase bandwidth not possible, due to lag of Fiber Cable"
Overall "You get what you pay for."

I would love to have faster FIOS service, but their service extension is unbelievably slow, and that is for Los Angeles, a dense and for them, inexpensive location, to extend the network. With the fast growing of bigger content files on the web, the ISP's have to keep up supplying those capabilities. Unfortunately Verizon fios spends a lot of money advertising the fios service, but not for implementing it.

Comments:

Review by HaloFans See Profile

• Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Worked for over 12+ years with 2-3 days no Internet per year."
Bad "Zero network improvements. Price keeps going up similar to cable company's practices."
Overall "Go to cable company for Internet unless you need an active POTS line for emergencies."

Update 1/21/2015: Left this service for cable. Kept POTS line in case of emergencies.

Began service in 2003.

Verizon gave me a modem (Westell 2200), some line filters, and an ethernet cable. Service activated in 2 weeks at 768 kbps / 128 kbps over ADSL1. Within a week, all service lines went down including the telephone. A tech was sent out to install a splitter at the NID and a dedicated port for DSL only.

No major problems then. A different tech replaced the splitter a few years ago due to the test port terminals corroding and gave me a Westell 6100 modem.

I've since upgraded to a TP-Link TD-8810 for the Broadcom chip, which supposedly is superior at handling long distance lines from the information I looked up in an Australian tech forum.

However, speeds have only upgraded to 2100 kbps / 384 kbps, which over past few the days has changed to 1800 kbps / 512 kbps via RE-ADSL2.

Tech support is now useless as all the first tiers are now outsourced to India. The local CO call handler says the (22) wire gauges are too thin to support my line any further.

Price goes up every year proportional to the cable company's pricing.

I want to switch to cable company internet while keeping the landline since I live in an area where the cell phone towers are not serviced regularly (i.e. power outages = no cell phone service). However, given Verizon's notorious history of botching service changes + billing overcharges, I am forced to keep paying the $80 package which includes useless inside wire maintenance fees. I absolutely cannot lose my phone # due to sensitivity of other services + old relatives.

member for 8.2 years, 750 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by indeedwitty See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Cheap?"
Bad "Low actual speeds, constant upsell, awful service."
Overall "Another poorly run monopoly"

I've been paying for 3Mb down and 768Kb up for 11 years.

Customer service: Awful from the beginning, typically making things worse instead of better. Now they lie and connect me to sales representatives instead of technical support.

Quality of Service: I had no connection at all for the better part of December 2014. Now that it has been "fixed" my connection tops out at 1.5Mb/s on a good day.

Overall experience: Verizon constantly sends sales representatives to knock on my door and ask me to "upgrade" to FiOS at increased cost so that they can drop me again in a few years when something better comes along. The only reason I still have Verizon service is that I have little choice.