Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by subwaydawg See Profile

• Telco party Verizon
Good "No need for additional cabling"
Bad "Speed is getting slower as time goes on"
Overall "Don't even bother getting it"

We decided to get DSL in May 2004, and we chose Verizon because it used the same twisted pair that's running our telephone -- no need to drill holes and mount things. We also get Time Warner Cable for television, but the line comes from across the street and hangs low enough to periodically snag a truck's roof and get yanked to the ground. I've tried to get them to mount their equipment higher up on the telephone pole, but it is an expensive job they are not willing to handle. I'm just one customer, right? Verizon had one speed available: 768 kbps x 128 kbps but it was better than dial-up at 56 Kbps! It originally cost $15 per month if you bundled it with their voice service and the cost for the voice and internet combination in 2013 is $67 per month.

The equipment was simple enough: a few DSL filter dongles, a Linksys BEFW11 router, and a Westell 2200 Modem. Installation was the responsibility of the customer, so the first thing we did was to sell the BEFW11 and purchased a Linksys WRT54G. The kit came with a CD but I've learned never to use it because they tend to change settings without informing you and secretly install a whole bunch of crapware.

Verizon has been rolling out Fios for a few years now, and, in my opinion, they have effectively abandoned their copper lines. I've run speed tests over the years, and things have slowed.

Verizon still offers DSL, but it is not worth getting.

Comments:

Review by ghpets See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "cost"
Overall "Best game in this one choice area"

$75 for phone and dsl @6.5 m down a bummer when FIOS TV adds for phone, tv and net is cheaper....

Comments:

Review by Tex Longhorn See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Decent speed. Good price"
Bad "Occasional drops"
Overall "Good price for the speed."

·Pacific Bell - SBC
1.5/256 $29.99/month. Ordered online. Received free wireless router (after rebate). Website said it wouldn't with Mac OS X, but it does. Had to make a few calls to get my rebate.

Had Cox 3.0/256 before this at $49.99. The cheaper price makes up for the loss in speed.

member for 13.5 years, 5725 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by K McAleavey See Profile

• Location: Voorheesville,Albany,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Nothing. Dumped it two years ago when the phone line died with it"
Bad "Most of the time it doesn't"
Overall "Blows goats"

DSL from Verizon was once nice. Out here, it's worse than dialup. Verizoff has no interest in maintaining their copper and their support is so awful that you don't even bother complaining. They don't listen, they don't care and they don't fix any problems. STAY AWAY!!!

(update) ... guess that isn't a problem anymore. They never fixed it, put FiOS fiber up on the poles and walked away never to light it up, finally the last two wires on the 12 pair went bad and still wouldn't fix it, asking us to pay $12,000 for "new construction." Yeah, right. Byebye, Verizon ... TimeWeenie cable finally stapled their stuff to our poles and it actually has intertubes!

• Location: Curwensville,Clearfield,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Service is reliable and speeds are as advertised."
Bad "A bit pricey for the speed."
Overall "Other than data capped satelite and LTE this is the only reasonable thing available."

Bottom line service is dependable. But if you can get anything else like
cable I would get that. But where I live cable isn't available. My speed is
3Mbs down and 768kbs up. Now in town you can get the 7.1MBs service for the
same price. I have asked Verizon many times if the 7.1MBs is or would ever
be available and the answer was always we only offer the 3MBs service in
your area. Oh well. In a couple of months I'm moving to a town that has a
reliable 12Mbs thru windstream.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Yezidi See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Since you don't have to share your connection, the speed, such as it is, is consistent."
Bad "It's DSL. I mean, should it really be considered broadband anymore?"
Overall "If there are no other alternatives where you live then by all means sign up. It's reliable."

I've had Verizon DSL (3 down -.5 up) for a long time. The service has been relatively reliable (only three major outages in nearly ten years). I came from dial up as most of us did back then so it was pretty fast by comparison. I have no real complaints about the service other than I'm disappointed that Verizon has not upgraded my neck of the woods with FiOS and I doubt they ever will. I'm considering cable (yuck) or perhaps something like Clearwire even though I've heard bad stories about them. The web has evolved past DSL and I'd like the opportunity to enjoy some of the services a faster connection would allow. Well, that's about it, thanks for reading. -Yezidi

Comments:

Review by waycoolphil See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Extremely reliable and uncapped. Average 6.5Mbps. Fast enough for Netflix HD."
Bad "Would like more speed."
Overall "Excellent service if you live in an area with good copper and updated CO."

A very good service that is trouble free. Self-install was easy. I switched from TWC 10Mbps Internet and digital voice. Their Internet service was flakey and the digital voice was ok but when the bundle expired after 12 months it was going to be $100 total monthly. Now I get a bundle from Verizon for DSL and POTS with no contract at $30/mo. plus taxes for each service. The phone includes unlimited calling to the US and Canada, Caller I.D. and all the custom calling features. It even includes voice mail which TWC charged an additional $4/mo. for. The DSL doesn't have the latency cable had and is uncapped. I highly recommend it if you are in an area with good copper and an updated CO. The downside is that we will probably never have FiOS here because all utilities are underground.

member for 13.8 years, 731 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Eh

As much as I hate twc and I left them i would never go with dsl. Their 10 mbps tier as you said was 10 mbps now its 15/1.

If you get slower speeds at night you can get docsis 3.0 modem.
waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

Re: Eh

DOCSIS3 is not available from TWC here in the Coachella Valley.

Review by buzzer7994 See Profile

• Location: Brownwood,Brown,TX
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it stays connected its fairly stable"
Bad "Constant intermittent connectivity issue"
Overall "Verizon has worked on my line a dozen times, they say wires in area are old"

When my service can stay connected , sometimes it works perfectly for a couple of weeks or so, it's great. The problem is the majority of the time the connection drops several times throughout the day. Sometimes it will be off for 5-10 minutes or sometimes half the day. Of course when the techs come out, it seems to work ok. They will move a few wires around and call it good. Sometimes this does seem to help for a while, but for last two weeks the connection is dropping every hour for at least a few minutes. It's really annoying, but I get charged the full amount. They were supposed to come out Thurs. & I received a text saying a tech had been dispatched. I never saw anyone and exactly one minute later I received a text saying my issue was resolved. I have had this connectivity issue for over 2 years !! What the heck could they have resolved in 1 minute? Meanwhile of course my issue remains. I'm connected then not 8 yes I have restarted my modem !!!

Comments:

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

need some REAL help?

if you want, head over to the Verizon online dsl area »Verizon DSL , and i might be able to help you out a bit, depending on what the issue is.

if you want to get a head start, put transceiver statistics in the first post, a set from both when it's working well to right before it loses sync would be preferable, but anything helps.
buzzer7994

join:2011-03-30
Brownwood, TX
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: need some REAL help?

Demonfang, thanks for the reply.. I have smokeping data that I ran for 24 hours and I will attach those. If you will instruct on how to obtain transceiver stats, I will try to get those as well. ( As I tried to attach my connection dropped )!! UGGGG !!
Thanks for anything you can do...

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Re: need some REAL help?

if you give me what modem you have, i should be able to tell you where it is, or how to get to it.

also, i would really suggest taking this to a new forum thread, as i don't get notified of updates to review chat

Review by staticBlende See Profile

• Telco party Verizon
Good "This rep that has helped me out tons."
Bad "Hard to get fastpath."
Overall "Avoid it if you want fastpath."

It's very hard to get fastpath. Everything else is fine I guess. I'm just bitter that's it's such a pain to make fastpath happen.

Comments:

Review by MikeRivers See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Very inexpenisve"
Bad "Tech support knows too little"
Overall "Great bargain now that it works well"

I initially signed up for the $29.95/month service in December of 2004 after being an AOL dial-up user for too many years. Since I am no longer traveling regularly, the benefit of AOL's dial-up access just about anywhere was no longer really important, and Verizon offered a "turn it on when you need it" dial-up extension for $8.95/month. I've not yet found that I needed it since these days most hotels have wireless or RJ45 Ethernet connections.

Anyway, things got up and running pretty quickly and I was pleased with the service for about six months. I was gettting throughput commensurate with 784 kbs service and that was fine for what I do on the net. They advertised "we doubled the speed and didn't raise the price" but I never saw a speed increase. Then my connection started dropping out several times a week, sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes for several hours. Numerous calls to Verizon Tech Support and service, including three house calls and a replacement modem found nothing wrong. I was about to give up and try a different provider when my year was up.

Verizon Support's last suggestion was that I was close to the distance limit and that they drop the sending speed. That didn't help. Right about the time that I was due for renewal, Verizon started advertising the $14.95/month rate for the speed I was getting, so I asked if they could change me to that rate when I renewed since that was all the speed I was getting anyway. They cheerfully did so, and I continued to put up with the occasional drops in service. It might not be great, but it sure was cheap. My phone + service fee more than dropped in half from when I had AOL and a second phone line.

I persisted with the service calls whenever I had an interruption if for no other reason than to put them on record. When someone said "You've called about this more than thirty times. We haven't fixed it yet?" they sent out another technician who made the same measurements in my house as the others who had been here before, but this gentleman recognized that there really was a problem and started working his way back from the house.

He found a stray piece of cable attached to my feed and disconnected it. (I'm a real engineer and I understood why this was a problem when he explained what he found and what his measurements showed) The "margin" and signal strength immediately went up and I haven't lost service once since December, so I'm a happy boy.

So the service, at least at "low speed" is solid, and as long as I don't need support, I'm satisfied. I suppose that my tech support experience is pretty typical of everyone's when they have a problem that isn't a simple in-house connection or setup issue. You just gotta keep at 'em.

March 2013

Wow! It's been a long time. Service went from good to bad to good again several times over the years. This past summer was particularly bad, and after about 2 months of very low speeds or failure to connect to the DSL host at all (which they didn't charge me for) they finally figured out that the problems were on their end, and after switching me to a succession of different ports, the last one being in a different building, it was finally working as well as ever.

During this period when technicians were coming to my house weekly and not finding any problems at this end, I was told by a couple of them that the copper in this area was in very bad shape and that the company refused to update it, hoping to get everyone on fiber. I apparently was one of a few holdouts. They said they were making deals with legacy customers, which I asked about and they best they could come up with was a $10 discount off the $60/month Internet + voice service. I told them where they could put it.

However, the rate, which was $15/month for several years crept up to $20 and they were about to raise it to $25. I complained that my income (I'm a retired bum) hasn't gone up 20% this year. They offered me the same "deal" and I told them again where to put it. Eventually, the guy from customer service came up with a $40/month discount off the 1.3 mbps Internet and 5 cents per minute anywhere in US and Canada voice service. The total, allowing for about 2 hours of phone per month (I really don't use the phone very much) was actually about $5 less than what I was currently paying for the DSL + message unit phone (a dime for a local call plus long distance rates outside the local area). So I took the plunge.

FiOS has been here for a week now. Download speed is measurably faster, about double what I had before but not noticeably faster for what I do. Upload speed is about 4x what I had, and that's enough to notice. The phone sounds good, and everything's been stable so far.

Like most FiOS users, I'm concerned about extended power outages since it's powered by AC with a backup battery good for up to 8 hours. At the moment, I'm trying to find out (so I can get the right part the first time) the actual size of the coaxial power connector for an external battery that's on the power supply. Verizon doesn't know. CyberPower who made the power unit says "we made that for Verizon and they support it, not us." - in other words, they know, but they won't tell me due to their contract with Verizon.

I've had similar responses trying to get more in depth information about the routers that they've sent me over the years for DSL.

But what can I say? It's cheap. I've updated the worst/best ratings at the top of the page based on the switch to FiOS. It's too new to assess reliability yet.