Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by alrandolph See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "Consistent speeds"
Bad "have to pay for a voice line which i don't even use"
Overall "Works fine for me with no issues"

When was in Bed-Stuy Bklyn I had 3/768. In January I moved to Jersey city and was shocked to see I was getting 7/768, which made me very happy. Sadly I have to pay for Voice which is 29.99 and Dsl is 30.00, but I get a $5 credit every month.

I never have any issues. It is stable and Solid and that is value to me.

Oh I did have one issue, for 1 week somehow my phone/dsl stopped working, had to wait a week until the tech came out and fixed it, verizon credited my bill automatically, didn't have to call and fight them.

member for 10.6 years, 2593 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kotyaer See Profile

• Location: Greenbackville,Accomack,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local representatives are willing to work with you"
Bad "Most of the time you don't get to deal with local representatives."
Overall "Avoid if you can."

Moved 2 miles down the road, to a new house.

They couldn't service me because the address didn't exist. No idea how to add the address. It took me a month and a half to figure out the local reps and get a hold of someone who could help me. Was then told they were at capacity. Then, I was told that I could get internet.

Install day comes, I check my speeds. 1.8/0.4. I talk to the local help, and I'm told "welp, that's the best you'll get". I pulled up my Zoom ADSL router info, and found that I theoretically could actually get 20megs.

I hate being lied to.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

You can get up to 20 mbps. This doesn't mean you always get 20 mbps. The farther you are from the phone company's central office/remote terminal/cabinet, the slower DSL gets.
Do you have alternatives to Verizon DSL (which isn't dial-up, satellite, or capped 4G)?
kotyaer

join:2011-08-09
Greenbackville, VA

Re: DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

Negative. Only alternatives would be "other" dsl on Verizon lines.

I don't like being told that my "cap" is 1.8. Then pushing them and being told it's 3. Then I run some tests and find it can easily do even more.

Review by tcounihan See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "They trash all your emails and contacts if you can't get dsl at your new location"

I just moved from a location where I had dsl for the past 20 years to a condo across town. I asked Verizon to provide phone and dsl at the new location. Their tech came to install it and said he couldn't put it in. I called customer support to ask them to keep my verizon.net email account alive (messages had started bouncing). He said he couldn't help me! I HAVE LOST 20 YEARS OF CONTACTS, EMAILS, ETC.

Verizon is both technically and administratively incompetent. Technically they could provide me an alternative access to my email, at least for a limited amount of time so I could get things off it. All the information sits on a server somewhere. Administratively, they show such little respect for their customers, that they don't insist on providing access. In fact, I believe that this trashing of a leaving customer's account (and note I wanted to stay with them) has to be an internal administrative business policy.

NEVER USE A VERIZON.NET EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by DownTheShore See Profile

• Location: Beautiful NJ
Good "It's better than dial-up"
Bad "It's only slightly better than dial-up"
Overall "It's just enough speed to keep me connected to the Web"

I have the lowest-tier DSL service offered by Verizon, so I knew going in that it was going to be much slower than my previous cable broadband service. The tier's service is supposed to be .5-1 Mbps download. My total cost per month is $24.95, with no contract and no termination fee. The Westell 7500 router was free. So, this is basically what I used to pay with my old CompuServe dial-up service. Given that that was 20 years ago and download service speeds now on other services are up to 75/35 Mbps (FIOS), this service is way overpriced.

My speed right now is approx. 1184 Kbps / 384 Kbps, though sometimes that drops as low as 300kbps down and a trickle up. I've noticed that tends to happen when the weather is stormy. When the initial connection was made, my speed was approx 900/200, so it has increased since then.

This is a dry line connection; I don't have phone service from Verizon. I don't know if Verizon still offers the dry line connection package anymore. When I signed up, I was told that I was too far from the Central Office for a faster speed, though after installation I was subsequently offered the next higher tier, 1.1-3 Mbps. Since I figured that I would probably just get the 1.1 Mbps bit rather than the 3 Mbps bit, I declined their offer, and its $15/mo higher price. I believe I have 7-9 mailboxes with this service, but I haven't used them so I can't comment on that. There is a Verizon home page that is set up with the service that gives access to my account, news, a search function, etc., but I don't use it; I always set a blank page as my home page on my browsers because I don't need to waste time waiting for an ISP's page to load.

The service technician who installed the service was professional, didn't rush the install and made the extra effort to get access to additional parts of my building from apt. management. He answered any questions that I had, ensured that my service was working, and gave me his name and number to contact if I had any additional problems. My connection to the Verizon DSL service required only one technician visit. I have no complaints about it, or about the phone service reps I spoke with to set up the service. I haven't had any real major breaks in service that have required re-contact with customer service, so I can't comment further on that.

My current phone service is through Vonage, and I am still able to use it with this Verizon DSL service. There is a breakup in voice if I am downloading when a call comes through, though, because there's just not enough bandwidth for both. Surprisingly, I am able to watch shows via Amazon Prime without any buffering delays. YouTube videos usually have buffering delays. Forget about other video streaming services - it just takes too long to load if it even does work at all. I belong to the Big Fish games site and often buy games from them; with cable broadband the download of a 600MB game used to take minutes, now it can take hours. If I've got a big file that I want to download, I usually bring my laptop over to someone's house who's got a broadband connection and download it there rather than at home. Any website that is graphics-intensive takes a noticeably longer time to load. The Internet Explorer browser is much slower with this connection; Firefox is slightly faster than IE, as is Opera. The fastest browser with this service is Pale Moon (a Firefox variant) which I use. I am also able to use my Squeezebox internet radio with this service.

Basic web browsing, while not instantaneous, is still faster than dial-up, especially if you're accessing forums and mainly text pages. The slowdowns come when there are a lot of images, a lot of Flash, and/or videos on the page that access automatically. FlashBlock is a good extension to have if you're using a Mozilla-flavor browser to cut down on the amount of elements that need to load and thus cut the bandwidth needed.

Right now, in a period of financial retrenchment, this service is just enough to give me a presence online and stay in touch with what's going on in the world. But this is only a temporary situation for me. I've had this service for about 10 months now and I still find its speed limitations annoying, so I will ultimately be returning to cable broadband in the future. This is merely a stop-gap measure for me. This service would probably be useful for a person who just wants basic internet access for email and light surfing.

UPDATE (2013): I did ultimately go back to cable broadband; I was able to come back to Optimum as a new customer and get a discount on the broadband service. DSL was just too slow for my needs; it was like a step back in time speed-wise and the Internet is just not geared to slow connections, nor are software developers as concerned with creating small program downloads anymore.

When I called Verizon to disconnect my service, the rep I spoke to was very pleasant and did offer to see if they could upgrade my speed. When I told her that I wasn't interested and that any speed upgrade they could give me was only going to be minimal based upon my distance from the Central Office, she didn't push the matter and got about the business of disconnecting my service. The service was disconnected without a hitch, I didn't have to return the Verizon modem, and I received a refund for the last month's percentage of unused service in a timely manner.

I have nothing negative to say about my dealings with Verizon. I was able to pick up service when I needed it and drop it when it no longer suited my needs. The personnel I dealt with were professional and helpful.

Comments:

Review by aefstoggaflm See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than one way cable."
Bad "Took a while to get. They had the wrong phone number. Sometimes tech support is dumb."
Overall "Other then tech support, the service is good."

·PenTeleData
I ordered 3/768 at the month to month rate. I had a PPPoE connection.

Better than one way cable. But the bad news took a while to get. They had the wrong address or phone number.

Sometimes tech support is just plain straight dumb. As addressed in »[Rant] Rant about Verizon techs. (Warning: Long)

I made sure that all of my devices behind a NAT router (ex: WRT54G v6) could release and renew their IP address.

We (my parents and I) then switched from behind a NAT device to a direct connection to the modem.

Then when Verizon techs tried to trouble shoot the issue. One of the things is that they told us to do was to uninstall and reinstall the NIC of a computer, is like

** Update 12/09/09 **

Now on Business DSL with a public Static IP.

** Update 10/2013 **

No longer with Verizon DSL due to Connection reliability (uptime).

member for 13 years, 3261 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ecofone

@verizon.net

Verzon sub standard Internet service

Not good. I was promised 3 MB and getting only 1 MB. called so many times and the service sucks.

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "very good price, reliable connection"
Bad "must have filter on every phone in house, long activation period, can only get 768 down b/c of distance from central office"
Overall "verizon doesn't service my area anymore as of 2011"

·Frontier Communi..
Verizon doesn't service my area anymore

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "It was reliable, consistent, low ping times."
Bad "Technology never improved. VZ seemingly let the copper plant slide."
Overall "Great in the past, today? No. If its your only choice, its better than overpriced 4G or Satelite. "

·T-Mobile US
This review is for past service that I had received. Switched to Comcast in the late summer of 2011.

We were hosted out of the central office, former C&P Tel/Bell Atlantic.

2004:
Signed up for 768k/100k DSL, switching from Dial Up. We had some minor activation issues, but after a phone call, they enabled our line at the DSLAM in 1 day. The service was leaps and bounds better than what Adelphia was offering over Cable. While slower, it was much more reliable! Equipment was a Westel 6100 modem, made in USA!
No equipment rent.
2007:
We switched to 3mbit/1mbit, the maximum our line could support. Speed was consistent, sometimes a little higher.

Overall:
There were 4 major outages over the 7 year period involving something with the DSLAM. Our actual telephone line has not gone bad, since it is underground all the way to the CO.
Tech support was pretty terrible, being outsourced to India. They at one point insisted that DSL does not work on Windows 95, when it did! I told them I had 98 and worked through their procedure, and it worked.

As time went on, our hope for faster DSL service diminished. VZ was deploying FIOS everywhere else in this county. Meanwhile, they let the copper infrastructure slide. It was clear service was not going to get better...

We needed more speed than 3mbit, and we switched to Comcasts performance tier (25mbit) in 2011.
Still holding breath for FIOS which was due to come to our town in 2012. (It has, in a very limited scope)

Shortly after we left VZ DSL, they made it impossible to order a dry loop. We did not have a dry loop, but the idea crossed our minds at times.
The only thing I miss from VZ's DSL was their routing. It was a lot more consistent than Comcast's.

If DSL is your only wire-line choice, take it. Its better than nothing, even if its delivered by unloved copper.

member for 2.8 years, 921 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "awesome speed, very reliable,"
Bad "took a little longer than expected"
Overall "speed is so great! great deal for the money!"

I received a flier from Dell offering 3 months free and $50 cash back. I took the Dell offer on the website and had confirmation emails from both Dell and Verizon within a half hour.

I had the install kit in 3 days with a service start date of 3-1. It was actually up earlier then that but I still waited. Service ready date came and I installed and was surfing in a few minutes.

I ordered the 1.5 service for 29.95/month. I was afraid I would not receive the Westell wireless router, but I did. So far I have no complaints.

5/15/05 Update: No reconnects except for power outages. Got the 90 days free and the $50 rebate is on its way. They mailed the check on Friday.

Sent an email asking for the 3.0/768. Got email saying I qualify. Just got my speed increase after waiting about a week. Speed is so fast, just incredible.

Jan 06 update: Still going strong. No problems to speak of.

Mar 2010 update: Still good. Had an issue with drops/disconnects but phone had bad crackle so I called voice repair. Tech came out and switched me to a different pair and everything went back to normal. No issues since. Steady connections. I work from home now and it's been very solid. Got a 2nd phone line for work number and that was pretty easy too.

September 2013 update: Started the switch over to FiOS double play with an extra phone line. So 2 phone lines and 50/25 internet ordered on 9/10/13. Install date 9/18/13. They have painted the yard where the line will run today. I will update here and then start a new review when up and running with my experience.

Switch to FiOS completed on 9/18/13. Will submit a new review.

Comments:

Review by MacBridger See Profile

• Location: Mercer,Mercer,PA
Good "Solid connection"
Bad "Worst tech support possible"
Overall "Solid in this area"

***** Update (9-23-2013) *****

To my shock and dismay I am still with Verizon DSL nearly a year after my initial order. Even more shocking, my connection has been solid. I have had negligible down time, the service rarely dropping at all. When it does drop, the service is back within minutes, typically without needing to power cycle or call support. In fact, I have not had to call support since installation.

The only issue I have had was a tip to ring short on the line which somehow did not disrupt the DSL. It played havoc with the phone, but the DSL plowed right through. Consistency makes me happy, even if the speed isn't great. But hey, what can you expect from DSL?

***** New Service Location (11-3-2012) *****

Well, new locations make us consider the unthinkable. Like coming back to Verizon. It has been 7 years since I have had Verizon DSL and not much has changed. The only thing changed is my location and that Verizon is the only game in town. Yippie...

Ordering went smoothly and was completed online with no help from a support person. The website worked quite well and I give Verizon kudos for that. I set up an appointment date and time, 8am to 5pm... Seriously, can't we narrow that down a LITTLE? Thankfully the tech called beforehand and all was set up and ready to go. Just to hook up the modem...

So I hook up the modem and it wants me to activate service. I log in with my Verizon username and password and... it tells me to create my username and password. How odd... I call tech support. Complete waste of time. The tech had no clue of the issue, let alone how to resolve it. They just wanted me off the phone. A blind, deaf, neutered monkey would have provided better support. Thankfully the issue was simple impatience on my part, and I just needed to wait for the activation to go through. I'd hate to think I ever have to call again...

So far the service itself has been rock solid. I haven't tested speeds, but no dropped sync yet. I hope it stays this way... I remember how bad it was in Elizabeth...

***** Previous Service in Elizabeth, PA UPDATE (8-31-05) *****
Good: None
Bad: Sync loss, Denial of problem, Service interuptions, Merry-Go-Round contacts
Bottom Line: Verizon is the worst

All my services are now through Comcast. Even my POTS goes through Comcast. The Merry go round continued as I could not even contact Verizon to have my account cancelled. Thankfully, Comcast took care of that for me.

Unfortunately, I received a bill from Verizon just yesterday. I haven't had any Verizon services in 2 months and they still continue to bill me. I still can not contact Verizon, as their phone system hangs up on me when I call in.

Thus, I will be contacting Comcast shortly in hopes that they will remind Verizon what company my services are with.

This experience with Verizon is the worst I have EVER had with ANY company. I will NEVER do ANY business with Verizon EVER again.

(Oh, and I put certain things in CAPS for those who can't read)

***** UPDATE (5-4-05) *****

Shortly after my last update Verizon made the ultimate. My service has been terminated by Verizon. I did not receive any notice before service was terminated.

I called VOL to discuss my continuing service issues, and was notified by the tech that she could not troubleshoot because my account was terminated. I asked who had terminated my account, and she told me that it was automatically disconnected for nonpayment.

SINCE MY BILL WAS PAID UP, I asked her to transfer me to billing. This is where the merry-go-round begins. Instead of billing, I get sales. Sales transfers me to telco sales who transfers me back to tech support. Tired of the hassle I hang up and call VOL billing myself.

VOL billing informs me that their attempt to charge my phone bill was blocked by Verizon telco. So now I'm off to Verizon telco billing. Right? Wrong.

Merry-go-round part 2 begins as I end up in sales, tech support, and then back to VOL billing. Exhausted I have given up. It's too much hassle for me to keep this crap. I think I'm going to give Comcast a call and have my entire phone service switched over. Sure it's a little more expensive, but they won't disconnect my services without reason.

***** UPDATE (4-5-05) *****

After using Verizon for several months I have run into some problems. Sync consistently drops, often 10 times a day or more. Upon calls to Verizon, nothing is wrong with my line. This despite persistent problems with voice service as well.

My initial ratings have dropped greatly, and continue to do so the more I deal with Verizon. The good news is that I have come up with a snappy motto for Verizon. "If you've never had phone problems, you've never had Verizon."

The honeymoon is over, and although we're not getting divorced yet, we are headed for counseling.

***** Original Review*****

I placed an order for Verizon DSL on Saturday evening, December 4, through Verizon.net's website. Today, December 7, the DSL modem arrived in an install package. I hooked the modem up to verify sync. To my surprise the DSL came on solid green. Sync and only 4 days from my order date. Over a weekend at that!

I installed Verizon's self install software. I have to say that I'm impressed with their software. Very easy to use for those that need a lot of help and guidance. It should save a lot of time for their tech support. I skipped through much of the installation instructions and let the software install the PPPoE client and the support center. I was surprised to see that Verizon by default is still using software PPPoE clients when their modems could handle that. Makes my job easier of setting up my router later though. Oh, and this was installed on Win 98 SE via Ethernet.

After that I was up and running. Time for some tweaking. A few minutes with DSLR's tweaktester and Dr TCP and I was flying. I ordered the basic DSL service, 1500 kbps down and 384 kbps up for speed packaging. I was very pleased to see that my speeds were right on target.

To recap:
1500/384 Westell 2200, dynamic IP, PPPoE, $79 a month including unlimited long distance and local calling, 4 days from order to live and it was over a weekend. Ordered online.

I also admit that this is immediately after install. I will update as I get to use the service more.

Comments:

Review by caw See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Verizon DSL Internet"

Well I ordered the Verizon DSL Internet. It started out great, for about the first 7 years(7.3/5.3 Mbps) But now the last 2 years suck(1.0/0.66 Mbps). During the last eight month I have called verizon, only one tech helped to get the speed back again, but that only lasted one day? I am so piss off now, I just want to find another company. With their poor customer service help I will never use verizon again!