Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by K McAleavey See Profile

• Location: Voorheesville,Albany,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Nothing. Dumped it two years ago when the phone line died with it"
Bad "Most of the time it doesn't"
Overall "Blows goats"

DSL from Verizon was once nice. Out here, it's worse than dialup. Verizoff has no interest in maintaining their copper and their support is so awful that you don't even bother complaining. They don't listen, they don't care and they don't fix any problems. STAY AWAY!!!

(update) ... guess that isn't a problem anymore. They never fixed it, put FiOS fiber up on the poles and walked away never to light it up, finally the last two wires on the 12 pair went bad and still wouldn't fix it, asking us to pay $12,000 for "new construction." Yeah, right. Byebye, Verizon ... TimeWeenie cable finally stapled their stuff to our poles and it actually has intertubes!

• Location: Curwensville,Clearfield,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Service is reliable and speeds are as advertised."
Bad "A bit pricey for the speed."
Overall "Other than data capped satelite and LTE this is the only reasonable thing available."

Bottom line service is dependable. But if you can get anything else like
cable I would get that. But where I live cable isn't available. My speed is
3Mbs down and 768kbs up. Now in town you can get the 7.1MBs service for the
same price. I have asked Verizon many times if the 7.1MBs is or would ever
be available and the answer was always we only offer the 3MBs service in
your area. Oh well. In a couple of months I'm moving to a town that has a
reliable 12Mbs thru windstream.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Yezidi See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Since you don't have to share your connection, the speed, such as it is, is consistent."
Bad "It's DSL. I mean, should it really be considered broadband anymore?"
Overall "If there are no other alternatives where you live then by all means sign up. It's reliable."

I've had Verizon DSL (3 down -.5 up) for a long time. The service has been relatively reliable (only three major outages in nearly ten years). I came from dial up as most of us did back then so it was pretty fast by comparison. I have no real complaints about the service other than I'm disappointed that Verizon has not upgraded my neck of the woods with FiOS and I doubt they ever will. I'm considering cable (yuck) or perhaps something like Clearwire even though I've heard bad stories about them. The web has evolved past DSL and I'd like the opportunity to enjoy some of the services a faster connection would allow. Well, that's about it, thanks for reading. -Yezidi

Comments:

Review by waycoolphil See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Extremely reliable and uncapped. Average 6.5Mbps. Fast enough for Netflix HD."
Bad "Would like more speed."
Overall "Excellent service if you live in an area with good copper and updated CO."

A very good service that is trouble free. Self-install was easy. I switched from TWC 10Mbps Internet and digital voice. Their Internet service was flakey and the digital voice was ok but when the bundle expired after 12 months it was going to be $100 total monthly. Now I get a bundle from Verizon for DSL and POTS with no contract at $30/mo. plus taxes for each service. The phone includes unlimited calling to the US and Canada, Caller I.D. and all the custom calling features. It even includes voice mail which TWC charged an additional $4/mo. for. The DSL doesn't have the latency cable had and is uncapped. I highly recommend it if you are in an area with good copper and an updated CO. The downside is that we will probably never have FiOS here because all utilities are underground.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Eh

As much as I hate twc and I left them i would never go with dsl. Their 10 mbps tier as you said was 10 mbps now its 15/1.

If you get slower speeds at night you can get docsis 3.0 modem.
waycoolphil

join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

Re: Eh

DOCSIS3 is not available from TWC here in the Coachella Valley.

Review by buzzer7994 See Profile

• Location: Brownwood,Brown,TX
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it stays connected its fairly stable"
Bad "Constant intermittent connectivity issue"
Overall "Verizon has worked on my line a dozen times, they say wires in area are old"

When my service can stay connected , sometimes it works perfectly for a couple of weeks or so, it's great. The problem is the majority of the time the connection drops several times throughout the day. Sometimes it will be off for 5-10 minutes or sometimes half the day. Of course when the techs come out, it seems to work ok. They will move a few wires around and call it good. Sometimes this does seem to help for a while, but for last two weeks the connection is dropping every hour for at least a few minutes. It's really annoying, but I get charged the full amount. They were supposed to come out Thurs. & I received a text saying a tech had been dispatched. I never saw anyone and exactly one minute later I received a text saying my issue was resolved. I have had this connectivity issue for over 2 years !! What the heck could they have resolved in 1 minute? Meanwhile of course my issue remains. I'm connected then not 8 yes I have restarted my modem !!!

member for 3 years, 3 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

need some REAL help?

if you want, head over to the Verizon online dsl area »Verizon DSL , and i might be able to help you out a bit, depending on what the issue is.

if you want to get a head start, put transceiver statistics in the first post, a set from both when it's working well to right before it loses sync would be preferable, but anything helps.
buzzer7994

join:2011-03-30
Brownwood, TX
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: need some REAL help?

Demonfang, thanks for the reply.. I have smokeping data that I ran for 24 hours and I will attach those. If you will instruct on how to obtain transceiver stats, I will try to get those as well. ( As I tried to attach my connection dropped )!! UGGGG !!
Thanks for anything you can do...

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Re: need some REAL help?

if you give me what modem you have, i should be able to tell you where it is, or how to get to it.

also, i would really suggest taking this to a new forum thread, as i don't get notified of updates to review chat

Review by staticBlende See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "This rep that has helped me out tons."
Bad "Hard to get fastpath."
Overall "Avoid it if you want fastpath."

It's very hard to get fastpath. Everything else is fine I guess. I'm just bitter that's it's such a pain to make fastpath happen.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by MikeRivers See Profile

• Location: Falls Church,Fairfax,VA
Good "Very inexpenisve"
Bad "Tech support knows too little"
Overall "Great bargain now that it works well"

I initially signed up for the $29.95/month service in December of 2004 after being an AOL dial-up user for too many years. Since I am no longer traveling regularly, the benefit of AOL's dial-up access just about anywhere was no longer really important, and Verizon offered a "turn it on when you need it" dial-up extension for $8.95/month. I've not yet found that I needed it since these days most hotels have wireless or RJ45 Ethernet connections.

Anyway, things got up and running pretty quickly and I was pleased with the service for about six months. I was gettting throughput commensurate with 784 kbs service and that was fine for what I do on the net. They advertised "we doubled the speed and didn't raise the price" but I never saw a speed increase. Then my connection started dropping out several times a week, sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes for several hours. Numerous calls to Verizon Tech Support and service, including three house calls and a replacement modem found nothing wrong. I was about to give up and try a different provider when my year was up.

Verizon Support's last suggestion was that I was close to the distance limit and that they drop the sending speed. That didn't help. Right about the time that I was due for renewal, Verizon started advertising the $14.95/month rate for the speed I was getting, so I asked if they could change me to that rate when I renewed since that was all the speed I was getting anyway. They cheerfully did so, and I continued to put up with the occasional drops in service. It might not be great, but it sure was cheap. My phone + service fee more than dropped in half from when I had AOL and a second phone line.

I persisted with the service calls whenever I had an interruption if for no other reason than to put them on record. When someone said "You've called about this more than thirty times. We haven't fixed it yet?" they sent out another technician who made the same measurements in my house as the others who had been here before, but this gentleman recognized that there really was a problem and started working his way back from the house.

He found a stray piece of cable attached to my feed and disconnected it. (I'm a real engineer and I understood why this was a problem when he explained what he found and what his measurements showed) The "margin" and signal strength immediately went up and I haven't lost service once since December, so I'm a happy boy.

So the service, at least at "low speed" is solid, and as long as I don't need support, I'm satisfied. I suppose that my tech support experience is pretty typical of everyone's when they have a problem that isn't a simple in-house connection or setup issue. You just gotta keep at 'em.

March 2013

Wow! It's been a long time. Service went from good to bad to good again several times over the years. This past summer was particularly bad, and after about 2 months of very low speeds or failure to connect to the DSL host at all (which they didn't charge me for) they finally figured out that the problems were on their end, and after switching me to a succession of different ports, the last one being in a different building, it was finally working as well as ever.

During this period when technicians were coming to my house weekly and not finding any problems at this end, I was told by a couple of them that the copper in this area was in very bad shape and that the company refused to update it, hoping to get everyone on fiber. I apparently was one of a few holdouts. They said they were making deals with legacy customers, which I asked about and they best they could come up with was a $10 discount off the $60/month Internet + voice service. I told them where they could put it.

However, the rate, which was $15/month for several years crept up to $20 and they were about to raise it to $25. I complained that my income (I'm a retired bum) hasn't gone up 20% this year. They offered me the same "deal" and I told them again where to put it. Eventually, the guy from customer service came up with a $40/month discount off the 1.3 mbps Internet and 5 cents per minute anywhere in US and Canada voice service. The total, allowing for about 2 hours of phone per month (I really don't use the phone very much) was actually about $5 less than what I was currently paying for the DSL + message unit phone (a dime for a local call plus long distance rates outside the local area). So I took the plunge.

FiOS has been here for a week now. Download speed is measurably faster, about double what I had before but not noticeably faster for what I do. Upload speed is about 4x what I had, and that's enough to notice. The phone sounds good, and everything's been stable so far.

Like most FiOS users, I'm concerned about extended power outages since it's powered by AC with a backup battery good for up to 8 hours. At the moment, I'm trying to find out (so I can get the right part the first time) the actual size of the coaxial power connector for an external battery that's on the power supply. Verizon doesn't know. CyberPower who made the power unit says "we made that for Verizon and they support it, not us." - in other words, they know, but they won't tell me due to their contract with Verizon.

I've had similar responses trying to get more in depth information about the routers that they've sent me over the years for DSL.

But what can I say? It's cheap. I've updated the worst/best ratings at the top of the page based on the switch to FiOS. It's too new to assess reliability yet.

member for 8.5 years, 230 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by iansltx See Profile

• Location: Fredericksburg,Gillespie,TX
Good "Rock-solid connection compared to the competition, cheap, awesome backbone"
Bad "Speed tops out at ~1.8/620, low SNR means the connection is fragile if not treated correctly"
Overall "A great upgrade from what we were using, but would get TWC over DSL if it wasn't $9k to install"

3-11-13

The service has jumped from $30 per month to $32, and now $37, as Verizon tries to either monetize or get rid of its non-fiber, non-wireless base. But we're hanging on, since there's still nothing better (note that the $5 per month pricing prior to this update was a mistake).

On the plus side, Verizon has now uncapped our line speed-wise. The line will sync up as fast as it can, provided upstream SNR is 9 dB or higher, and downstream SNR is 6 dB or higher. On the minus side, that only nets us a few hundred kbps of breathing room on the download side (so we're talking about 1.75 Mbps on speed tests instead of 1.5). Going back to pluses, upload speeds are significantly increased...to a little north of 600 kbps. Far from ideal (Sprint LTE at the same location can hit 5+ Mbps, and Time Warner Cable in town can hit 50/5 Mbps down/up) but for an uncapped connection with dcent latency and reliability we'll take what we can get.

6-3-12 speedtest/pingtest

NOTE: Ignore latency readings on both of these. Latency to Softlayer-Dallas is 40-41ms. Latency to 4.2.2.4 (anycasted from Dallas) is 38ms.

»speedtest.net/result/1988193514.png

The speedtest is rock-solid (takes a second or two to hit top speed, then stays there for the remainder of the test). I could test any time of day and get the same result, as long as the modem is sync'ing at full speed (which it does most of the time).

»www.pingtest.net/result/63934458.png

6-3-12

The service has chugged along with pretty much no change for the last two years. Sometimes the modem needs to be rebooted to lock in 1.5 Mbps speeds, but they'll always come back, despite the low SNR they bring (on the downstream side anyway; I'd have no issues with dropouts if VZ pushed my upload sync speed up to where I was getting 512 kbps on speed tests instead of 384 kbps).

About a year ago I got a second DSL line installed, opting for the lower package since I thought that, since line quality was fine, Verizon would provide me with a 1 Mbps down, 384 kbps up line that I could bond (via Sharedband or the like) for a whopping 2.5 Mbps down, 768 kbps up of throughput (smokin', I know). Installation was successful, but VZ stubbornly refused to provision the line above rates that, after overhead, gave me 768 kbps down, 128 kbps up. A few months later, I discontinued service on that line, having used it practically none in the interim.

It's sad that, due to my parents' location, their 'net access is for all intents and purposes frozen in time, or at least it seems that way. Time Warner Cable now offers DOCSIS 3 where their lines extend, with 50/5 (Mbps of course) speeds available. Verizon appears to offer 7 Mbps DSL in town; I think that two years ago speeds topped out at 3 Mbps. But this far out, 1.5 Mbps is the best they can do (on a single line anyway, and they don't do bonded DSL). The local WISP hasn't upgraded their package speeds in this area in at least three years, and 3G is getting slower, not faster, as companies focus on 4G buildouts elsewhere (Sprint will probably be the first one with 4G here). Sure, ViaSat exede is available, but my guess is that my parents' Internet usage would place them at least at the 15GB tier ($75 here), if not higher. Plus, latency on satellite is bad for the gaming that my brothers and I occasionally use the connection for.

But hey, things could be a lot worse. Latency to websites in Dallas sits around 38ms (24ms of which is interleave delay, possibly combined with latency to San Antonio), and those pings are actually more consistent (albeit usually higher) than what I get at my apartment in Colorado. One thing's for sure: I'm glad I'm not limited to 3G or satellite, both of which have higher-latency, jitterier service than what's available through Verizon.

ORIGINAL REVIEW (early 2010)

It all started around Thanksgiving; Verizon FINALLY installed a DSLAM in my area and started serving customers off of it. Which is great because until then most lines in town were unsuitable for DSL (bridged taps etc.) so the CLEC (now Windstream) had pretty much abandoned DSL due to low uptake. Once Verizon put in their own DSLAM (probably to pump the town's system value up for a sale) lines started getting groomed...

After pestering a local tech off and on, my line, at 20,610 feet from the CO, started getting groomed. In early January the call came: your line is ready to go for DSL. My parents have VZ landline service (just the basic $20-including-tax local service with nothing added, not even caller ID) so we got a really nice deal on DSL: 6 months free, then $30 (plus taxes and fees) per month. It looks like the taxes and fees will be a little less than $5, so even after the free period (where taxes are still apparently assessed...weird but not big enough to gripe about) we'll be paying less for access than we were to our previous ISP.

The equipment mailed to us was a Westell 6100 series modem, which includes built-in routing capability. This is proving to be a bit troublesome since I'm used to using bridged modems (like my Comcast cable modem in Colorado) but the modem UI is easy enough on port forwarding that I haven't taken the time to put the modem into pure bridge mode, which is a bit more of a chore. The only other equipment Verizon gave were some filters and a splitter, which is fine because that's all that was needed to get the internet up and running. No tech had to come to our house for the install, though we're working on running a Cat5 home run to the modem...we need all the SNR we can get.

Speaking of SNR, as long as the phone line isn't running right near the DC cord for the Westell modem we're in the 6.5-8.5 range, with 57.5 db (!) of attenuation. Yes, we're a ways from the CO. Yet the connection is running at a solid 1758/447 sync rate, giving us the 1.5 Mbps down and 384 kbps up that we were promised after overhead, something that Qwest in Colorado doesn't do to my great chagrin.

It would be nice if the upload was provisioned another few hundred kbps higher, but we'll take what we can get. A solid, uncapped, jitter-free 1.5/384 connection is preferable to 2 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up AT&T 3G with a 5GB cap, 2 Mbps down, 650 kbps up Verizon 3G with a 10GB cap, 1.2 Mbps down, 600 kbps up Sprint for $70 per month, satellite or the overloaded local WISP, which are our alternatives in the area. CricKet is also available, but signal sucks indoors. Verizon apparently doesn't offer more than 3/768 in the area and from what I hear doesn't have internet-lit fiber to the CO (so they're running their DSL system off of a T3 or two) but I'm happy to report that speeds are consistent (and Verizon's backbone routing is awesome) no matter what time it is.

Verizon beats everyone except the WISP on latency, and the WISP only beats Verizon on the first hop when the system isn't overloaded (too much of the time). Latency on the first hop is in the 24-27ms range (I need to measure the connection at some point directly connected to the DSL modem, without a powerline networking kit and a wireless router spreading the signal around) which is perfectly fine considering the rock-solid nature of the connection and the fact that we're working on a low-SNR interleaved DSL connection, which incidentally is using the ADSL2+ profile to pump the bits to us.

Is a 1.5/384 connection that great? Nope. However the only way to get more highly reliable bandwidth would be to shell out $35 or $45 for a 1/384 or 1.5/384 dry-line connection on our other copper pair, wait for Verizon to make sure that pair is conditioned, then figure out a way to bond two DSL modems to create a single connection. The upload speed is what's lacking anyway, and the places I upload to are single-stream, so the additional line wouldn't work well anyway without a service like SharedBand, which costs even more money. The bottom line: the connection is my parents' and they're willing to pay $45-$55 per month for an internet connection, no more. Right now they're paying a LOT less than that, which is fine too. The biggest draw though is that they now have a rock-solid internet connection that can pull down data at nearly 200 KB per second, streams YouTube without hiccups and has a public IP address so I can remotely fix computer issues without a problem. Verizon may be giving up on their DSL footprint across the US, but this is one success story that should be known to all.

member for 7.1 years, 3080 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by philpense See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Low Downtime"
Bad "Bandwidth"
Overall "Generally Decent"

Have had the service for several years and am generally disappointed in the times when support is necessary. In one particular instance support was called when an independent app showed the bandwidth. Support tech went through a series of scripted questions having nothing to do with the issue. Case was ultimately escalated twice. Apparently, managers are routinely in meetings during the work day. Ten days of constant complaining who actually told me that" the high speed switch was off" This has not happened often but once was more than enough

member for 1.1 years, 14 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bumble See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Connection was usually fine, when available"
Bad "Abyssmal service and reliability"
Overall "With great broadband, avoid DSL but above all, avoid Verizon"

[edit] The review software states I joined this week, but I have been a long-time Verizon DSL customer in the past. This is *not* the reason I joined this forum.

Some people, I know, just cannot afford broadband. This is unfortunate, but still remains true. DSL is their only viable option. However, Verizon is not a great option.

In my neighborhood, which is on a hill, whenever it even *thought* about rain, DSL would fail. Sometimes altogether, sometimes down to 56K modem speed. This is more than just aggravating, it's abyssmal.

Tech support would always make you jump thru the same hoops: turn off your computer, blah blah blah. Oh you have a Mac, you can't do *that*, blah blah blah. Reading from a standard script and not really knowing much of anything.

Verizon is pushing FiOS only these days. Their POTS lines are being left in the dust, which surprises me because they are a cash cow for them: $50-90/month for *nothing*. Just the basics if you compare to the feature rich environment of VoIP.

If you want off DSL, research cable companies in your area if they can provide internet-only service. The straw that broke the camel's back with me on Verizon DSL was when they were *upping* the rate from $35/month to $45 and *lowering* my speed from 1.5Mbs to 1Mbs.

For $50/month, I get 10up/1down with cable. It was a slam-dunk. Plus now I can get Netflix (or other) and watch w/o commercials. OK, the shows are not always current, but..

member for 1.1 years, 8 visits, last login: 1 year ago