Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Jodokast96 See Profile

• Location: Sicklerville,Camden,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Connection never drops; Still best bang for the buck (if you can get the new 7.1 service). Verizon Direct forum on this site."
Bad "First contact support staff is mostly clueless; Poor coordination and communication between various departments."
Overall "3/768 still better than Comcast's 6/384Ok, Comcast has gotten better and faster, but DSL here is still good."

Had service now since '02. Ordered for my fax line and quickly received install kit (Westell 2200). On my SRD (a Friday after 6pm) I discovered my phone line was dead, so I never got to install it. Started making the calls to get it resolved. Support was very nice, but not very helpful. After 4 days, someone suggested that even though I had no phone service, the DSL might still be active. Hooked it all up, and there was my DSL. 2 days later, I had phone service back on the line. Received 1 month DSL credit and 1 month line charge credit for the second line, without ever asking for it. Everyone involved was extremely nice throughout, but no one knew what anyone else was doing. Support didn't know what the CO was up to who didn't know what DSL was up to who didn't know what the field tech was up to and on and on.

Fast forward to 11/05. Since install service has been outstanding!. Not one minute of downtime, no billing issues, and received all speed upgrades offered. But all good things must come to and end, or at least hit some bumpy roads. While in the middle of an online game, the connection drops. Eventually, I get the connection back, but the speeds are downright horrible and completely unstable. Calling tech support was ok till I accidentally hung up on them. The second (called back right away) was a complete disaster. Totally clueless rep. Gave the standard "It's something with your computer. Call MS or the manufacturer." Third call got me a ticket opened and a tech sent out 2 days later. Tech is stumped. The line tests out great, but the connection, even with his equipment is the same as mine. Makes a few calls to the CO, and they decide to send me a new modem (Westell 327w). Doesn't fix it.

It's now 7/06. While waiting for Verizon to fix it, I found a slight workaround that makes the connection usable, but not as good as it was. That was four months ago. In that time I've found a number of others who have the same issue and are still fighting with Verizon to get it fixed (I've since given up contacting them).

Ratings:

Presales - 5 - Ordered online, found everything I needed to know.

Install Coordination: - 2 - Pretty much covered above. It seems a little better coordinated between departments now compared to then.

Connection Reliability - 4 - Even with the one problem I've had, the connection is never down and trouble free otherwise. I've only had one other outage, and that was after a storm. Back up in a few hours.

Tech Support - 3 - The initial level of support you reach can be pretty bad. Most of the time, the accents are very heavy which makes for a lot of "Could you repeat that?" from both parties. A lot of times, they just really don't know what they are talking about, and like to start from scratch instead of what listening to what you've already tried troubleshooting. Very frustrating if you know even the slightest bit about working with computers. And if you have to make more than one call, the next rep you get never knows what went on in the previous call, so you pretty much have to start all over again. If you are lucky, they will listen to you when you tell them what the previous rep(s) did and either go from there or escalate. Not as good as it was 4 years ago.

Support above this has been much better, even though they were unable to solve my problem. The problem is sometimes getting to this level of support.

Just for BBR members: There is a new forum here, Verizon Direct, which seems to eliminate the bad experiences of the initial level of support. I have not used it, but many members seem quite happy with it. They are much more knowledgeable, and it seems to be a one on one approach so that you don't have different reps trying to figure out what the others did.

Services - 3 - I don't use any of them, so I can't comment on how good or bad they are.

Value - 5 - But may not be for long. Another speed upgrade from Comcast could certainly drop this rating down. The reasons it is still on top over Comcast's 6mb is the poor upload speed from Comcast and subpar pings and latency through Comcast. File downloads are fast with them, but browsing can be painful.

UPDATE 7/07: Things really have not changed. The problem I mentioned in my initial review has been traced to issues with Juniper routers on the Verizon network. They have admitted there are issues with them, are unable to replace them (apparently it was huge, expensive upgrade for them), and are unwilling to switch me back to a Redback. I know it would be possible to switch me back as my neighbor is still on one, however their direct response was "if we do it for you, we'd have to do it for everyone".

Other than that one issue, I personally have no complaints with my service. I've had one instance of down time and that was an issue for voice repair, but the DSL service has been like a rock. Always fast (except for noted issue above) and always stable.

UPDATE 1/09: All is still good here. 7.1 is available now, and though I am close enough to support it, Verizon hasn't yet made it available to customers fed from an RT.

UPDATE 12/13: Cost for the speed became too great. Comcast upgraded things here greatly. I've been with them for about a year now with no complaints. Leaving Verizon was a painful nightmare as it wiped out my online access to my phone account as well. Just ended up canceling voice with them too.

Comments:

Review by mb See Profile

• Location: Washington,Warren,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Excellent Bundle Deal"
Bad "Can't compete with Comcast's Speeds, Not IPv6 ready"
Overall "Excellent Basic ISP"

After a rocky start, Infospeed has been running solidly here in Northern NJ. I regularly see 500/68 speeds. I use a Netgear RT314 Gateway Router to network 2 PCs.

Update 2 years later: Verizon is now much more stable, I constantly see 516/81 here in New Jersey. I am told that Verizon must resolve some issues with our Public Utilities Commission before we can see a boost in speed to the Verizon standard 768/128. I am paying the 39.95/month rate, which I assume is a grandfathered rate. Friends in the area have Optimum Online which offers about ten times the speed I see for the same price. It is not available here as we are in Comcast territory and Comcast will likely never match Optimum Online, so, I will likely be a DSL customer for a long time.

Update Sept 2002 NJ has been upgraded to 768/128 and I see consistent 728/136. I can't remember when the last time was that I lost service. I am still paying $39.95/month. I feel comfortable in saying Verizon now kicks ass!

Update May 2004 I have been upgraded to 1500/384 and now pay $29.95/month. Service is rock solid. I don't think that I've had 10 minutes of downtime in the last 2 years. Mail and News are top notch.

Update September 2004 I ordered a new line with 3000/768 service and now pay $44.95/month. The order went through without issue in 5 days. Verizon has evolved into a top notch operation.

Update November 2004 I took advantage of a regional promotion that reduced the cost of the 3000/768 package to $29.95/month and included a 4 port wire/wireless router/modem in exchange for a 1 year agreement. A great deal.

Update May 2005 Only change since last review has been a swapped Westell 327 modem router. The initial made in China Ver E had been shelved due to instability issues, the current Ver C made in USA version runs flawlessly. At this point the only thing I am looking forward to is the ability to drop the dial tone on this DSL line and save $12/month on my phone bill.

Update Jan 2006 Moved DSL from a secondary to my primary telephone line and had the secondary line disconnected at a savings of $13/month. After intervention by top level tech support the MCO properly configured the ASAM at my CO and issues involving the move order were resolved. Service is fine.

Update Feb 2007 Moved DSL from my primary telephone line to a "dry loop" for $34.99/month. This is s $5/m increase. I disconnected my primary telephone line and now use Vonage over the DSL circuit for telephone. The bottom line is about a $15/month savings. The connection is rock solid with low latency (fastpath) and speed tests average 2875/735. The only issue occurred during the switch from interleaved to fastpath. I am now on ADSL2+ equipment and the initial change order was botched and had to be re-ordered. Outsourced tech support made the process very difficult. Thank god for the VerizonDirect forum at BBR!

Update October 2008 After over 8 years as a Verzion (Bell Atlantic) DSL customer, I canceled service. This cancellation came after a side by side trial between Comcast and Verizon ISP offerings. In my location, Comcast consistently provides twice the speed for about the same cost and the quality of service seems to be identical. The only complaint about Verizon would be it's inability to provide me with faster speeds. If and when FIOS comes to my area, I'll be back.

Update February 2011: 11 Years after having my initial DSL circuit turned up, I have again returned. Now I regularly see speeds of 6710/730 (vs 500/68 in 2000) with low latency/jitter due to fastpath provisioning. I had DSL re-installed as it is only costing about $5/month as part of a 2 year bundle deal that was offered when I returned to Verizon telephone service after a 3 year foray into VOIP. The deal included a free Westell 7500 wireless gateway. Comcast is the primary ISP due do their speed, but the Verizon DSL is more than adequate for the web and e-mail and at $5/month it is an easily justifiable backup internet connection.

Update October 2011: Rock solid, no issues, Verizon's DSL and Comcast's HSI are feeding the LAN here through a Draytek dual wan router. The quality of the wireline voice service that accompanies DSL just cannot be beat by any VOIP provider.

Update July 2012: The DSL now only feeds the DVR and is now used only to supply Netflix. The two reasons behind this are: No caps verses my other ISP Comcast and Comcast provides IPv6, Verizon does not. My Draytek Dual WAN router is not yet IPv6 ready and combining the DSL and Cable through it was causing some issues. DSL remains rock solid

Update May 2013: The DSL and landline circuits have been turned off for good. Although the service excelled, it was obvious that Ma Bell has no interest in being competitive with Cable HSI. My cable circuit supplies more than the necessary bandwidth for all of my needs. Landline switched to ATT wireless home phone at $23/month for unlimited voice service.

member for 14.6 years, 6635 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by alrandolph See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "Consistent speeds"
Bad "have to pay for a voice line which i don't even use"
Overall "Works fine for me with no issues"

When was in Bed-Stuy Bklyn I had 3/768. In January I moved to Jersey city and was shocked to see I was getting 7/768, which made me very happy. Sadly I have to pay for Voice which is 29.99 and Dsl is 30.00, but I get a $5 credit every month.

I never have any issues. It is stable and Solid and that is value to me.

Oh I did have one issue, for 1 week somehow my phone/dsl stopped working, had to wait a week until the tech came out and fixed it, verizon credited my bill automatically, didn't have to call and fight them.

Comments:

Review by kotyaer See Profile

• Location: Greenbackville,Accomack,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local representatives are willing to work with you"
Bad "Most of the time you don't get to deal with local representatives."
Overall "Avoid if you can."

Moved 2 miles down the road, to a new house.

They couldn't service me because the address didn't exist. No idea how to add the address. It took me a month and a half to figure out the local reps and get a hold of someone who could help me. Was then told they were at capacity. Then, I was told that I could get internet.

Install day comes, I check my speeds. 1.8/0.4. I talk to the local help, and I'm told "welp, that's the best you'll get". I pulled up my Zoom ADSL router info, and found that I theoretically could actually get 20megs.

I hate being lied to.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

You can get up to 20 mbps. This doesn't mean you always get 20 mbps. The farther you are from the phone company's central office/remote terminal/cabinet, the slower DSL gets.
Do you have alternatives to Verizon DSL (which isn't dial-up, satellite, or capped 4G)?
kotyaer

join:2011-08-09
Greenbackville, VA

Re: DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

Negative. Only alternatives would be "other" dsl on Verizon lines.

I don't like being told that my "cap" is 1.8. Then pushing them and being told it's 3. Then I run some tests and find it can easily do even more.

Review by tcounihan See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "They trash all your emails and contacts if you can't get dsl at your new location"

I just moved from a location where I had dsl for the past 20 years to a condo across town. I asked Verizon to provide phone and dsl at the new location. Their tech came to install it and said he couldn't put it in. I called customer support to ask them to keep my verizon.net email account alive (messages had started bouncing). He said he couldn't help me! I HAVE LOST 20 YEARS OF CONTACTS, EMAILS, ETC.

Verizon is both technically and administratively incompetent. Technically they could provide me an alternative access to my email, at least for a limited amount of time so I could get things off it. All the information sits on a server somewhere. Administratively, they show such little respect for their customers, that they don't insist on providing access. In fact, I believe that this trashing of a leaving customer's account (and note I wanted to stay with them) has to be an internal administrative business policy.

NEVER USE A VERIZON.NET EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by DownTheShore See Profile

• Location: Beautiful NJ
Good "It's better than dial-up"
Bad "It's only slightly better than dial-up"
Overall "It's just enough speed to keep me connected to the Web"

I have the lowest-tier DSL service offered by Verizon, so I knew going in that it was going to be much slower than my previous cable broadband service. The tier's service is supposed to be .5-1 Mbps download. My total cost per month is $24.95, with no contract and no termination fee. The Westell 7500 router was free. So, this is basically what I used to pay with my old CompuServe dial-up service. Given that that was 20 years ago and download service speeds now on other services are up to 75/35 Mbps (FIOS), this service is way overpriced.

My speed right now is approx. 1184 Kbps / 384 Kbps, though sometimes that drops as low as 300kbps down and a trickle up. I've noticed that tends to happen when the weather is stormy. When the initial connection was made, my speed was approx 900/200, so it has increased since then.

This is a dry line connection; I don't have phone service from Verizon. I don't know if Verizon still offers the dry line connection package anymore. When I signed up, I was told that I was too far from the Central Office for a faster speed, though after installation I was subsequently offered the next higher tier, 1.1-3 Mbps. Since I figured that I would probably just get the 1.1 Mbps bit rather than the 3 Mbps bit, I declined their offer, and its $15/mo higher price. I believe I have 7-9 mailboxes with this service, but I haven't used them so I can't comment on that. There is a Verizon home page that is set up with the service that gives access to my account, news, a search function, etc., but I don't use it; I always set a blank page as my home page on my browsers because I don't need to waste time waiting for an ISP's page to load.

The service technician who installed the service was professional, didn't rush the install and made the extra effort to get access to additional parts of my building from apt. management. He answered any questions that I had, ensured that my service was working, and gave me his name and number to contact if I had any additional problems. My connection to the Verizon DSL service required only one technician visit. I have no complaints about it, or about the phone service reps I spoke with to set up the service. I haven't had any real major breaks in service that have required re-contact with customer service, so I can't comment further on that.

My current phone service is through Vonage, and I am still able to use it with this Verizon DSL service. There is a breakup in voice if I am downloading when a call comes through, though, because there's just not enough bandwidth for both. Surprisingly, I am able to watch shows via Amazon Prime without any buffering delays. YouTube videos usually have buffering delays. Forget about other video streaming services - it just takes too long to load if it even does work at all. I belong to the Big Fish games site and often buy games from them; with cable broadband the download of a 600MB game used to take minutes, now it can take hours. If I've got a big file that I want to download, I usually bring my laptop over to someone's house who's got a broadband connection and download it there rather than at home. Any website that is graphics-intensive takes a noticeably longer time to load. The Internet Explorer browser is much slower with this connection; Firefox is slightly faster than IE, as is Opera. The fastest browser with this service is Pale Moon (a Firefox variant) which I use. I am also able to use my Squeezebox internet radio with this service.

Basic web browsing, while not instantaneous, is still faster than dial-up, especially if you're accessing forums and mainly text pages. The slowdowns come when there are a lot of images, a lot of Flash, and/or videos on the page that access automatically. FlashBlock is a good extension to have if you're using a Mozilla-flavor browser to cut down on the amount of elements that need to load and thus cut the bandwidth needed.

Right now, in a period of financial retrenchment, this service is just enough to give me a presence online and stay in touch with what's going on in the world. But this is only a temporary situation for me. I've had this service for about 10 months now and I still find its speed limitations annoying, so I will ultimately be returning to cable broadband in the future. This is merely a stop-gap measure for me. This service would probably be useful for a person who just wants basic internet access for email and light surfing.

UPDATE (2013): I did ultimately go back to cable broadband; I was able to come back to Optimum as a new customer and get a discount on the broadband service. DSL was just too slow for my needs; it was like a step back in time speed-wise and the Internet is just not geared to slow connections, nor are software developers as concerned with creating small program downloads anymore.

When I called Verizon to disconnect my service, the rep I spoke to was very pleasant and did offer to see if they could upgrade my speed. When I told her that I wasn't interested and that any speed upgrade they could give me was only going to be minimal based upon my distance from the Central Office, she didn't push the matter and got about the business of disconnecting my service. The service was disconnected without a hitch, I didn't have to return the Verizon modem, and I received a refund for the last month's percentage of unused service in a timely manner.

I have nothing negative to say about my dealings with Verizon. I was able to pick up service when I needed it and drop it when it no longer suited my needs. The personnel I dealt with were professional and helpful.

Comments:

Review by aefstoggaflm See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than one way cable."
Bad "Took a while to get. They had the wrong phone number. Sometimes tech support is dumb."
Overall "Other then tech support, the service is good."

·PenTeleData
I ordered 3/768 at the month to month rate. I had a PPPoE connection.

Better than one way cable. But the bad news took a while to get. They had the wrong address or phone number.

Sometimes tech support is just plain straight dumb. As addressed in »[Rant] Rant about Verizon techs. (Warning: Long)

I made sure that all of my devices behind a NAT router (ex: WRT54G v6) could release and renew their IP address.

We (my parents and I) then switched from behind a NAT device to a direct connection to the modem.

Then when Verizon techs tried to trouble shoot the issue. One of the things is that they told us to do was to uninstall and reinstall the NIC of a computer, is like

** Update 12/09/09 **

Now on Business DSL with a public Static IP.

** Update 10/2013 **

No longer with Verizon DSL due to Connection reliability (uptime).

member for 13 years, 3277 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ecofone

@verizon.net

Verzon sub standard Internet service

Not good. I was promised 3 MB and getting only 1 MB. called so many times and the service sucks.

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "very good price, reliable connection"
Bad "must have filter on every phone in house, long activation period, can only get 768 down b/c of distance from central office"
Overall "verizon doesn't service my area anymore as of 2011"

·Frontier Communi..
Verizon doesn't service my area anymore

member for 11.9 years, 5020 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "It was reliable, consistent, low ping times."
Bad "Technology never improved. VZ seemingly let the copper plant slide."
Overall "Great in the past, today? No. If its your only choice, its better than overpriced 4G or Satelite. "

·T-Mobile US
This review is for past service that I had received. Switched to Comcast in the late summer of 2011.

We were hosted out of the central office, former C&P Tel/Bell Atlantic.

2004:
Signed up for 768k/100k DSL, switching from Dial Up. We had some minor activation issues, but after a phone call, they enabled our line at the DSLAM in 1 day. The service was leaps and bounds better than what Adelphia was offering over Cable. While slower, it was much more reliable! Equipment was a Westel 6100 modem, made in USA!
No equipment rent.
2007:
We switched to 3mbit/1mbit, the maximum our line could support. Speed was consistent, sometimes a little higher.

Overall:
There were 4 major outages over the 7 year period involving something with the DSLAM. Our actual telephone line has not gone bad, since it is underground all the way to the CO.
Tech support was pretty terrible, being outsourced to India. They at one point insisted that DSL does not work on Windows 95, when it did! I told them I had 98 and worked through their procedure, and it worked.

As time went on, our hope for faster DSL service diminished. VZ was deploying FIOS everywhere else in this county. Meanwhile, they let the copper infrastructure slide. It was clear service was not going to get better...

We needed more speed than 3mbit, and we switched to Comcasts performance tier (25mbit) in 2011.
Still holding breath for FIOS which was due to come to our town in 2012. (It has, in a very limited scope)

Shortly after we left VZ DSL, they made it impossible to order a dry loop. We did not have a dry loop, but the idea crossed our minds at times.
The only thing I miss from VZ's DSL was their routing. It was a lot more consistent than Comcast's.

If DSL is your only wire-line choice, take it. Its better than nothing, even if its delivered by unloved copper.

member for 2.8 years, 966 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "awesome speed, very reliable,"
Bad "took a little longer than expected"
Overall "speed is so great! great deal for the money!"

I received a flier from Dell offering 3 months free and $50 cash back. I took the Dell offer on the website and had confirmation emails from both Dell and Verizon within a half hour.

I had the install kit in 3 days with a service start date of 3-1. It was actually up earlier then that but I still waited. Service ready date came and I installed and was surfing in a few minutes.

I ordered the 1.5 service for 29.95/month. I was afraid I would not receive the Westell wireless router, but I did. So far I have no complaints.

5/15/05 Update: No reconnects except for power outages. Got the 90 days free and the $50 rebate is on its way. They mailed the check on Friday.

Sent an email asking for the 3.0/768. Got email saying I qualify. Just got my speed increase after waiting about a week. Speed is so fast, just incredible.

Jan 06 update: Still going strong. No problems to speak of.

Mar 2010 update: Still good. Had an issue with drops/disconnects but phone had bad crackle so I called voice repair. Tech came out and switched me to a different pair and everything went back to normal. No issues since. Steady connections. I work from home now and it's been very solid. Got a 2nd phone line for work number and that was pretty easy too.

September 2013 update: Started the switch over to FiOS double play with an extra phone line. So 2 phone lines and 50/25 internet ordered on 9/10/13. Install date 9/18/13. They have painted the yard where the line will run today. I will update here and then start a new review when up and running with my experience.

Switch to FiOS completed on 9/18/13. Will submit a new review.