Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by aefstoggaflm See Profile

• Location: Bethlehem,Northampton,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than one way cable."
Bad "Took a while to get. They had the wrong phone number. Sometimes tech support is dumb."
Overall "Other then tech support, the service is good."

·PenTeleData
I ordered 3/768 at the month to month rate. I had a PPPoE connection.

Better than one way cable. But the bad news took a while to get. They had the wrong address or phone number.

Sometimes tech support is just plain straight dumb. As addressed in »[Rant] Rant about Verizon techs. (Warning: Long)

I made sure that all of my devices behind a NAT router (ex: WRT54G v6) could release and renew their IP address.

We (my parents and I) then switched from behind a NAT device to a direct connection to the modem.

Then when Verizon techs tried to trouble shoot the issue. One of the things is that they told us to do was to uninstall and reinstall the NIC of a computer, is like

** Update 12/09/09 **

Now on Business DSL with a public Static IP.

** Update 10/2013 **

No longer with Verizon DSL due to Connection reliability (uptime).

Comments:

ecofone

@verizon.net

Verzon sub standard Internet service

Not good. I was promised 3 MB and getting only 1 MB. called so many times and the service sucks.

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "very good price, reliable connection"
Bad "must have filter on every phone in house, long activation period, can only get 768 down b/c of distance from central office"
Overall "verizon doesn't service my area anymore as of 2011"

·Frontier Communi..
Verizon doesn't service my area anymore

Comments:

Review by Zenit See Profile

• Location: Purcellville,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "It was reliable, consistent, low ping times."
Bad "Technology never improved. VZ seemingly let the copper plant slide."
Overall "Great in the past, today? No. If its your only choice, its better than overpriced 4G or Satelite. "

·T-Mobile US
This review is for past service that I had received. Switched to Comcast in the late summer of 2011.

We were hosted out of the central office, former C&P Tel/Bell Atlantic.

2004:
Signed up for 768k/100k DSL, switching from Dial Up. We had some minor activation issues, but after a phone call, they enabled our line at the DSLAM in 1 day. The service was leaps and bounds better than what Adelphia was offering over Cable. While slower, it was much more reliable! Equipment was a Westel 6100 modem, made in USA!
No equipment rent.
2007:
We switched to 3mbit/1mbit, the maximum our line could support. Speed was consistent, sometimes a little higher.

Overall:
There were 4 major outages over the 7 year period involving something with the DSLAM. Our actual telephone line has not gone bad, since it is underground all the way to the CO.
Tech support was pretty terrible, being outsourced to India. They at one point insisted that DSL does not work on Windows 95, when it did! I told them I had 98 and worked through their procedure, and it worked.

As time went on, our hope for faster DSL service diminished. VZ was deploying FIOS everywhere else in this county. Meanwhile, they let the copper infrastructure slide. It was clear service was not going to get better...

We needed more speed than 3mbit, and we switched to Comcasts performance tier (25mbit) in 2011.
Still holding breath for FIOS which was due to come to our town in 2012. (It has, in a very limited scope)

Shortly after we left VZ DSL, they made it impossible to order a dry loop. We did not have a dry loop, but the idea crossed our minds at times.
The only thing I miss from VZ's DSL was their routing. It was a lot more consistent than Comcast's.

If DSL is your only wire-line choice, take it. Its better than nothing, even if its delivered by unloved copper.

member for 2.7 years, 866 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "awesome speed, very reliable,"
Bad "took a little longer than expected"
Overall "speed is so great! great deal for the money!"

I received a flier from Dell offering 3 months free and $50 cash back. I took the Dell offer on the website and had confirmation emails from both Dell and Verizon within a half hour.

I had the install kit in 3 days with a service start date of 3-1. It was actually up earlier then that but I still waited. Service ready date came and I installed and was surfing in a few minutes.

I ordered the 1.5 service for 29.95/month. I was afraid I would not receive the Westell wireless router, but I did. So far I have no complaints.

5/15/05 Update: No reconnects except for power outages. Got the 90 days free and the $50 rebate is on its way. They mailed the check on Friday.

Sent an email asking for the 3.0/768. Got email saying I qualify. Just got my speed increase after waiting about a week. Speed is so fast, just incredible.

Jan 06 update: Still going strong. No problems to speak of.

Mar 2010 update: Still good. Had an issue with drops/disconnects but phone had bad crackle so I called voice repair. Tech came out and switched me to a different pair and everything went back to normal. No issues since. Steady connections. I work from home now and it's been very solid. Got a 2nd phone line for work number and that was pretty easy too.

September 2013 update: Started the switch over to FiOS double play with an extra phone line. So 2 phone lines and 50/25 internet ordered on 9/10/13. Install date 9/18/13. They have painted the yard where the line will run today. I will update here and then start a new review when up and running with my experience.

Switch to FiOS completed on 9/18/13. Will submit a new review.

Comments:

Review by MacBridger See Profile

• Location: Mercer,Mercer,PA
Good "Solid connection"
Bad "Worst tech support possible"
Overall "Solid in this area"

***** Update (9-23-2013) *****

To my shock and dismay I am still with Verizon DSL nearly a year after my initial order. Even more shocking, my connection has been solid. I have had negligible down time, the service rarely dropping at all. When it does drop, the service is back within minutes, typically without needing to power cycle or call support. In fact, I have not had to call support since installation.

The only issue I have had was a tip to ring short on the line which somehow did not disrupt the DSL. It played havoc with the phone, but the DSL plowed right through. Consistency makes me happy, even if the speed isn't great. But hey, what can you expect from DSL?

***** New Service Location (11-3-2012) *****

Well, new locations make us consider the unthinkable. Like coming back to Verizon. It has been 7 years since I have had Verizon DSL and not much has changed. The only thing changed is my location and that Verizon is the only game in town. Yippie...

Ordering went smoothly and was completed online with no help from a support person. The website worked quite well and I give Verizon kudos for that. I set up an appointment date and time, 8am to 5pm... Seriously, can't we narrow that down a LITTLE? Thankfully the tech called beforehand and all was set up and ready to go. Just to hook up the modem...

So I hook up the modem and it wants me to activate service. I log in with my Verizon username and password and... it tells me to create my username and password. How odd... I call tech support. Complete waste of time. The tech had no clue of the issue, let alone how to resolve it. They just wanted me off the phone. A blind, deaf, neutered monkey would have provided better support. Thankfully the issue was simple impatience on my part, and I just needed to wait for the activation to go through. I'd hate to think I ever have to call again...

So far the service itself has been rock solid. I haven't tested speeds, but no dropped sync yet. I hope it stays this way... I remember how bad it was in Elizabeth...

***** Previous Service in Elizabeth, PA UPDATE (8-31-05) *****
Good: None
Bad: Sync loss, Denial of problem, Service interuptions, Merry-Go-Round contacts
Bottom Line: Verizon is the worst

All my services are now through Comcast. Even my POTS goes through Comcast. The Merry go round continued as I could not even contact Verizon to have my account cancelled. Thankfully, Comcast took care of that for me.

Unfortunately, I received a bill from Verizon just yesterday. I haven't had any Verizon services in 2 months and they still continue to bill me. I still can not contact Verizon, as their phone system hangs up on me when I call in.

Thus, I will be contacting Comcast shortly in hopes that they will remind Verizon what company my services are with.

This experience with Verizon is the worst I have EVER had with ANY company. I will NEVER do ANY business with Verizon EVER again.

(Oh, and I put certain things in CAPS for those who can't read)

***** UPDATE (5-4-05) *****

Shortly after my last update Verizon made the ultimate. My service has been terminated by Verizon. I did not receive any notice before service was terminated.

I called VOL to discuss my continuing service issues, and was notified by the tech that she could not troubleshoot because my account was terminated. I asked who had terminated my account, and she told me that it was automatically disconnected for nonpayment.

SINCE MY BILL WAS PAID UP, I asked her to transfer me to billing. This is where the merry-go-round begins. Instead of billing, I get sales. Sales transfers me to telco sales who transfers me back to tech support. Tired of the hassle I hang up and call VOL billing myself.

VOL billing informs me that their attempt to charge my phone bill was blocked by Verizon telco. So now I'm off to Verizon telco billing. Right? Wrong.

Merry-go-round part 2 begins as I end up in sales, tech support, and then back to VOL billing. Exhausted I have given up. It's too much hassle for me to keep this crap. I think I'm going to give Comcast a call and have my entire phone service switched over. Sure it's a little more expensive, but they won't disconnect my services without reason.

***** UPDATE (4-5-05) *****

After using Verizon for several months I have run into some problems. Sync consistently drops, often 10 times a day or more. Upon calls to Verizon, nothing is wrong with my line. This despite persistent problems with voice service as well.

My initial ratings have dropped greatly, and continue to do so the more I deal with Verizon. The good news is that I have come up with a snappy motto for Verizon. "If you've never had phone problems, you've never had Verizon."

The honeymoon is over, and although we're not getting divorced yet, we are headed for counseling.

***** Original Review*****

I placed an order for Verizon DSL on Saturday evening, December 4, through Verizon.net's website. Today, December 7, the DSL modem arrived in an install package. I hooked the modem up to verify sync. To my surprise the DSL came on solid green. Sync and only 4 days from my order date. Over a weekend at that!

I installed Verizon's self install software. I have to say that I'm impressed with their software. Very easy to use for those that need a lot of help and guidance. It should save a lot of time for their tech support. I skipped through much of the installation instructions and let the software install the PPPoE client and the support center. I was surprised to see that Verizon by default is still using software PPPoE clients when their modems could handle that. Makes my job easier of setting up my router later though. Oh, and this was installed on Win 98 SE via Ethernet.

After that I was up and running. Time for some tweaking. A few minutes with DSLR's tweaktester and Dr TCP and I was flying. I ordered the basic DSL service, 1500 kbps down and 384 kbps up for speed packaging. I was very pleased to see that my speeds were right on target.

To recap:
1500/384 Westell 2200, dynamic IP, PPPoE, $79 a month including unlimited long distance and local calling, 4 days from order to live and it was over a weekend. Ordered online.

I also admit that this is immediately after install. I will update as I get to use the service more.

member for 14 years, 4840 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caw See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Verizon DSL Internet"

Well I ordered the Verizon DSL Internet. It started out great, for about the first 7 years(7.3/5.3 Mbps) But now the last 2 years suck(1.0/0.66 Mbps). During the last eight month I have called verizon, only one tech helped to get the speed back again, but that only lasted one day? I am so piss off now, I just want to find another company. With their poor customer service help I will never use verizon again!

Comments:

Review by MyEye See Profile

• Location: Natick,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "The least expensive service available for those on fixed income"
Bad "Some difficulty in the past on getting problems resolved because of poorly trained technicians."
Overall "It is what it is - old technology for those of us who have little or no economic choices."

Came on line in the Spring of 2002 via paid company account. Now retired, with renewable year contract to maintain 29.99 price. Speeds are now stable after a couple years of street wire fixes and a card (or two) in the home office. For old technology, I have to admit that it works rather well, all things considered. Vigilance is required, however, to ensure that house connections are clean and well maintained.

Comments:

Review by fmorriso See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "none"
Bad "Fraudulent advertisement of ADSL availability in CountrySide."
Overall "Verizon ADSL is a marketing fraud"

I live in the CountrySide development of Sterling, VA, ZIP 20165. Along with my next door neighbor, we are the victims of a massive fraud perpetrated by Verizon when it comes to soliciting ADSL subscribers and then failing to deliver any service in a reasonable time frame.

My neighbor checked the Verizon web site in late November 2003 to see if ADSL service was available (plug in telephone number and ZIP code) and was told it was available. He ordered the service on 11/23/2003. A few days later, he was given an estimated service activation date of 12/11/2003. When 12/11/2003 arrived with no ADSL service, he received an auto-generated email and auto-generated voice mail saying the service was delayed until 12/19/2003. On 12/19/2003 he was told that, because they were not able to meet their service goals, they were canceling the ADSL order and would send a label to allow him to return the kit they had previously sent. My neighbor called back and said he did not want to send the kit back and would, instead, like to stay on the ADSL "list". The last entry on the www.verizon.com/dslorderstatus shows an order date of 1/2/2004 (not 11/23/2003, so it appears Verizon ignored their customer's wishes and went ahead and canceled his original order despite being told not too, and reentered it with a new order date). His "new" estimated service activation date is 2/3/2004, which, of course, has long since past. They even had the balls to send him a bill for an "unreturned modem kit" with a cost of $99.

As for me, I ordered Verizon ADSL on 2/5/2004 and was given an estimated service activation date of 2/18/2004. On 2/18/2004 I received an auto-generated email and voice mail saying my service has been delayed until 2/26/2004. Based upon my neighbor's experience, I recognized this lie immediately.

It appears Verizon is engaging in deliberate fraud (not mere "misrepresentation") by marketing a product they cannot deliver. They refuse to elaborate why (over subscribed? hardware problems? no copper (i.e.., too much fiber optics?) the service is not being provided despite advertising its availability since November 2003.

Comments:
fmorriso

join:2004-02-17
Sterling, VA
·Verizon Online DSL

Update 2013-09-16

I recently learned for the first time that I'm located 36,700 feet from the actual Verizion building that provides DSL internet access. I always knew I was beyond the 18,000 foot normal limit for DSL, but this is the first time I learned EXACTLY how far I was located. I was informed that my DSL "service" (a term I use loosely) was provided by something called a " remote circuit" (yet another detail nobody has ever told me) that I infer to be some type of "relay" to the "real" DSL circuitry. I've been paying for 3Mbps service but was told my "remote circuit" plus my distance means even the best equipment (mine is a DLINK DSL-2750B - is that considered "best"?) could never provide 3Mbps or anything even close. Even worse, the next step down, 1.5Mbps, is not even a possibility due to the "remote circuit" limitations. The only other choice for my "remote circuit" is 1Mbps. Bottom line: I've been paying "extra" for 3Mbps "service" (there's that word again) for a line/circuit that was NEVER capable of and never COULD be capable of 3Mbps service. The only thing good about the new DLINK 2750B is that the DSL connection doesn't drop as often as the Westell 2200 that it replaced.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Update 2013-09-16

You may be 36,000+ feet from the office, but the DSL is originating much closer to your home at a remote terminal, and youre STILL far from that point if you only qualify for 1Meg

Review by BlankenG See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Price, eventually it was very stable - used it for 13 years"
Bad "Stability - I am just now back online after a 10 day outage"
Overall "No FiOS forced me to switch to Cox (cable)"

·Cox HSI
Originally they did not know if NT server would work. Wish I had a static IP (they promise)!

(13 years later)

DSL serviced me well, but the speed was not keeping up with my requirements. I waited and waited for FiOS to no avail. I just switched to Cox. It was very painful for the first few days. I probably had 2 hours of Internet and phone over the first 4 days. It slowly improved. As soon as I started the DSLReports monitor it has been as stable as a rock. So I will switch my icon from Verizon to Cox.

Comments:

Review by pk63015 See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "router/wireless modem combo"
Bad "poor connection, slow speed, not as advertised"
Overall "Have not enjoyed the experience"

Did not have installed in time frame promised, ordered speeds of 1.1-3Mbps--received speeds of of.250 kbps at best, would not keep connected to internet for 3 days.. Chats with Tech support yield calls to India or Pakistan.. Were of no help at all... Even after Tech arrived, speeds still not up to my satisfaction...

Comments:
fmorriso

join:2004-02-17
Sterling, VA
·Verizon Online DSL

Unreliable, paying for speed my circuit isn't capable of

I recently learned for the first time that I'm located 36,700 feet from the actual Verizion building that provides DSL internet access. I always knew I was beyond the 18,000 foot normal limit for DSL, but this is the first time I learned EXACTLY how far I was located. I was informed that my DSL "service" (a term I use loosely) was provided by something called a " remote circuit" (yet another detail nobody has ever told me) that I infer to be some type of "relay" to the "real" DSL circuitry. I've been paying for 3Mbps service but was told my "remote circuit" plus my distance means even the best equipment (mine is a DLINK DSL-2750B - is that considered "best"?) could never provide 3Mbps or anything even close. Even worse, the next step down, 1.5Mbps, is not even a possibility due to the "remote circuit" limitations. The only other choice for my "remote circuit" is 1Mbps. Bottom line: I've been paying "extra" for 3Mbps "service" (there's that word again) for a line/circuit that was NEVER capable of and never COULD be capable of 3mbps service. The only thing good about the new DLINK 2750B is that the DSL connection doesn't drop as often as the Westell 2200 that it replaced.