Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Robert1010 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Service is as bad as it can be. They want $30.00 to figure what is wrong with there new junk gateway"
Overall "service NO send Verizon more cash"

I have a DSL2750b gateway. The first one would only connect to an HP4620 printer if the security was turned off. The 2nd gateway did the same thing. When they did connect they still did not work. I have an Actiontec GT704wg that works normal. It connects, prints, hosts other computers on my WPA network. The Actiontec has other problems.
The wps will find the printer, but not connect. Both gateways have firm ware 1.44.And hardware T1. S/N is PX2M1BC036379.

Verizon does not care after being a customer for 12 years. They told me to go to Comcast cable.
PLEASE help me.
robert banks
rbanks10@verizon.net

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08

They told me to go to Comcast cable

"They told me to go to Comcast cable"

cause they are now partnered with them, so either way they get your money. best of luck to you.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Well..

If cable is available at your address, I don't see why you don't ditch VZ for everything but phone (as you have stated elsewhere you had that voice line a very long time - number porting could be risky.)

Its clear VZ just does not care going by your forum saga, I personally would not give them another dime until fiber shows up at my door.

If your afraid to make the jump to Commiecast (my nickname for the horror that is Comcast) I understand that - their customer support is known for its poor service.

VZ did not have to tell me to leave though - I left 3mbit ADSL for 28mbit cable and never looked back, it would be hard to go back to 3mbit early-2000s era DSL.

Review by fastsubie See Profile

• Location: Muncy,Lycoming,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Old POTS lines need reconditioned badly but that will never happen. Speed per $ is very poor"
Overall "I have not other choice except for satellite "

I ordered the 3Mbps/784Kbps package from Verizon. Since my line comes out of a remote terminal I knew this is the best I would get. For months the best I could sync at was 1500/392. Verizon claimed I was too far from the DSLAM to get anything better. I knew this was not the case and continued to ask for line reconditioning. Eventually they worked it out and I was able to obtain my proper sync rates. After nearly 6 months of flawless service I recently experienced. Once de-sync again. Once again I posted a complaint here on the Verizon Direct forums and once again several techs and line splicers were sent out to go over my line. This time the splicer was able to cut over 1000' of copper out of my loop and my margins are better than ever!

Overall I miss Comcast that I had at my last home but if DSL is all you can get, Verizon is not a bad company to work with in my opinion. Just stay constant with support and they will work out your issue. I recommend using the Direct forums here. It is much much easier than trying to call Tier1 Support on the phone.

Eric

Comments:

Review by bedfordite See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Bedford,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Overall "Reliability and speed have been better and cheaper. "

Increased the price and throttled the speed.

Comments:

Review by tschopper1 See Profile

• Location: Parkville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local Line Technicians"
Bad "Tech support, inconsistent connection and sporatic download speeds"
Overall "Not ready for Prime Time"

1500/384 Kbps interleaved, service tier @ 19.95 month
13400' from Central Office
Westell Wirespeed B90-210015-04 Rev F Modem
Linksys BEFSX 41 Router provided Pppoe
Start of Service 2002

The order and install process was simple, immediately had issues with dropped connections and download speeds which were diagnosed over a period of several months,as a combination of problems with connection (copper lines) to the central office and old house wiring. The line technicians went above and beyond my expectations in time spent to trouble shoot and repair the connection to the Central Office and bypassing my house wiring in order to provide me with a stable and speed rated connection. They used every means possible to cut the on initial install distance of 15000' to the present 13400' This work was accomplished over several months and my expenditure of many hours on the phone to many levels of tech support. I would estimate that the line technicians spent in excess of twenty four man hours to repair/bypass the problems with the old infrastructure.

After the line techs efforts I was receiving by test, consistent 1542 Kbps download and 382 Kbps upload speeds for a period of four plus years.

As of the last two weeks, I am now experiencing by test, diminished download speeds and sporadic (time of day/night) very slow connections, connections timed out, slow page loading, POP3 mail (can't find the server) and disconnects.

I have spent many hours testing my system for problems including testing for virus and malware. No problems found!

Frustrated, but what is my option, Cable?

»/linequality/nil/2346769

Comments:

badverizon

@198.255.162.x

horrible costumer service

Verizon accidentally disconnected my internet a month early. I had to spend over 3 hours on the phone with them, talking to 9 different people. They then told me they would reactivate it (after 5 days) and would cover activation fees and give me a credit and would call me the next day to set it up. I never received a call to set it up. So I called Verizon. And then guess what happens? They said there was no way that they were going to cover activation and instillation fees and would not credit me, despite their initial mistakes, my wasted time, and their promise. Then sat on the phone for another 45 minutes only to be screamed at by a Verizon rep and be told that they could not find me in their records despite the fact that I paid them for 4 years.

Review by Coolbrz See Profile

• Location: Kane,Mckean,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable, good service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Starting to look elsewhere"

Update #3 Jan 31st

Still trying to cancel service. Residential seems to think im walmart. The email address i was given responded that they cannot find my account. I am back on the phone with business to try and cancel.

Update #2 today

Still trying to cancel service with verizon. Apparently they have my account as a business account and not residential, meaning i get bounced around a bit. Finally after 3 reps and 2 hours across 2 days i was given an email address to cancel service.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jan 30th 2014

Again another price increase with same service. This area will never be upgraded past copper so why keep jacking the price up. At any rate, i am done with Verizon. Comcast internet for 25/5 package is 38$/month versus verizon 3m/768 (still) and verizon keeps upping the ante with nothing seen on my side.

End Update

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nov 3, 2012

I'm in a different area now, still using Verizon DSL 3M/768k

Still stable, rarely ever an outage. That has been the main reason Ive stuck with them this long paying 34$/month for a dry loop.

Just received an email that they are raising the price 5 bucks. I guess the attrition is starting. They will never upgrade my area, too small, so i understand, but really bump up the price on DSL another 5 bucks?!?

For the lousy speed, Ill pass. My days are numbered with Verizon.

End Update

I have had the service since, November 2001, just now getting the review in.

My only gripe I have (reason for some low scores) is the prequal checks on my line. Called up for service, billing said I didnt qualify. Ok no prob, my landlord (same house) calls up and his is good. I call again, still no go. I call a third time, and finally got someone that tested it correctly I assume, and was go to go.

Now, fast forward to the speed increase, I call to see if I qualify, the lady says I do not. My landlord calls, and he qualifies?!?! So I call again and get a guy on the phone (wish I remembered his name, cuz he was quite decent), checked my line and said no problem and put the order in for the speed increase.

Other than those headaches, Verizon has been very good to me here and for the year I had it in Philly. Total of about 10 hours without service over 2 seperate days in the entire time I have had it. Speeds and pings are consistently good.

Thumbs up to Verizon from me.

July 1, 2004 Update (system bugs me from time to time )

Not much has changed, I did get the upload speed increased to 384 and that seems alright. Only problem I had recently was some Intermitant sync. There were a couple nights that I was working late, (roughly 2 am) and the ready light would drop and resync. This would happen every ten minutes or so. One night it began as early as 10PM.

Well, anyhow, I had had enough one night and decided to use the Online chat support. I really only wanted to see if there were any tickets open for my area (nothing on the network status page). I explained the entire issue and the agent came back with "If the ready light is going out, that means a disruption in the signal".......No kidding, ummmm

"There is no outages in your area"

Okay, thats all I wanted to know. Perhaps it was my wiring or something. My roommate does not lose connection. Mine only seems to drop from time to time late night (after midnight) and possibly the morning. It does not drop often from what I can tell, may need to look into it some more but for right now Im fine.

Other than that, things are roughly the same during the time that I use it and am not working late

Still a thumbs up from Verizon from me, it runs close to the caps and the int. connection at late hours is not too bad......yet

Tech support was a little iffy, so that rating remains a 3. I almost bumped it to a 2 as the tech just repeated to me over and over what the ready light flashing meant, after I explained myself. Ahhh well, such is life I guess.

Nov 1 2004

Not with Verizon anymore, have moved to a new place and have Adelphia cable. Still nothing really bad to say about Verizon, it is a solid service in this neck of the woods.

member for 11.9 years, 4656 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DownTheShore See Profile

• Location: Beautiful NJ
Good "It's better than dial-up"
Bad "It's only slightly better than dial-up"
Overall "It's just enough speed to keep me connected to the Web"

I have the lowest-tier DSL service offered by Verizon, so I knew going in that it was going to be much slower than my previous cable broadband service. The tier's service is supposed to be .5-1 Mbps download. My total cost per month is $24.95, with no contract and no termination fee. The Westell 7500 router was free. So, this is basically what I used to pay with my old CompuServe dial-up service. Given that that was 20 years ago and download service speeds now on other services are up to 75/35 Mbps (FIOS), this service is way overpriced.

My speed right now is approx. 1184 Kbps / 384 Kbps, though sometimes that drops as low as 300kbps down and a trickle up. I've noticed that tends to happen when the weather is stormy. When the initial connection was made, my speed was approx 900/200, so it has increased since then.

This is a dry line connection; I don't have phone service from Verizon. I don't know if Verizon still offers the dry line connection package anymore. When I signed up, I was told that I was too far from the Central Office for a faster speed, though after installation I was subsequently offered the next higher tier, 1.1-3 Mbps. Since I figured that I would probably just get the 1.1 Mbps bit rather than the 3 Mbps bit, I declined their offer, and its $15/mo higher price. I believe I have 7-9 mailboxes with this service, but I haven't used them so I can't comment on that. There is a Verizon home page that is set up with the service that gives access to my account, news, a search function, etc., but I don't use it; I always set a blank page as my home page on my browsers because I don't need to waste time waiting for an ISP's page to load.

The service technician who installed the service was professional, didn't rush the install and made the extra effort to get access to additional parts of my building from apt. management. He answered any questions that I had, ensured that my service was working, and gave me his name and number to contact if I had any additional problems. My connection to the Verizon DSL service required only one technician visit. I have no complaints about it, or about the phone service reps I spoke with to set up the service. I haven't had any real major breaks in service that have required re-contact with customer service, so I can't comment further on that.

My current phone service is through Vonage, and I am still able to use it with this Verizon DSL service. There is a breakup in voice if I am downloading when a call comes through, though, because there's just not enough bandwidth for both. Surprisingly, I am able to watch shows via Amazon Prime without any buffering delays. YouTube videos usually have buffering delays. Forget about other video streaming services - it just takes too long to load if it even does work at all. I belong to the Big Fish games site and often buy games from them; with cable broadband the download of a 600MB game used to take minutes, now it can take hours. If I've got a big file that I want to download, I usually bring my laptop over to someone's house who's got a broadband connection and download it there rather than at home. Any website that is graphics-intensive takes a noticeably longer time to load. The Internet Explorer browser is much slower with this connection; Firefox is slightly faster than IE, as is Opera. The fastest browser with this service is Pale Moon (a Firefox variant) which I use. I am also able to use my Squeezebox internet radio with this service.

Basic web browsing, while not instantaneous, is still faster than dial-up, especially if you're accessing forums and mainly text pages. The slowdowns come when there are a lot of images, a lot of Flash, and/or videos on the page that access automatically. FlashBlock is a good extension to have if you're using a Mozilla-flavor browser to cut down on the amount of elements that need to load and thus cut the bandwidth needed.

Right now, in a period of financial retrenchment, this service is just enough to give me a presence online and stay in touch with what's going on in the world. But this is only a temporary situation for me. I've had this service for about 10 months now and I still find its speed limitations annoying, so I will ultimately be returning to cable broadband in the future. This is merely a stop-gap measure for me. This service would probably be useful for a person who just wants basic internet access for email and light surfing.

UPDATE (2013): I did ultimately go back to cable broadband; I was able to come back to Optimum as a new customer and get a discount on the broadband service. DSL was just too slow for my needs; it was like a step back in time speed-wise and the Internet is just not geared to slow connections, nor are software developers as concerned with creating small program downloads anymore.

When I called Verizon to disconnect my service, the rep I spoke to was very pleasant and did offer to see if they could upgrade my speed. When I told her that I wasn't interested and that any speed upgrade they could give me was only going to be minimal based upon my distance from the Central Office, she didn't push the matter and got about the business of disconnecting my service. The service was disconnected without a hitch, I didn't have to return the Verizon modem, and I received a refund for the last month's percentage of unused service in a timely manner.

I have nothing negative to say about my dealings with Verizon. I was able to pick up service when I needed it and drop it when it no longer suited my needs. The personnel I dealt with were professional and helpful.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by MacBridger See Profile

• Location: Mercer,Mercer,PA
Good "Solid connection"
Bad "Worst tech support possible"
Overall "Solid in this area"

***** Update (9-23-2013) *****

To my shock and dismay I am still with Verizon DSL nearly a year after my initial order. Even more shocking, my connection has been solid. I have had negligible down time, the service rarely dropping at all. When it does drop, the service is back within minutes, typically without needing to power cycle or call support. In fact, I have not had to call support since installation.

The only issue I have had was a tip to ring short on the line which somehow did not disrupt the DSL. It played havoc with the phone, but the DSL plowed right through. Consistency makes me happy, even if the speed isn't great. But hey, what can you expect from DSL?

***** New Service Location (11-3-2012) *****

Well, new locations make us consider the unthinkable. Like coming back to Verizon. It has been 7 years since I have had Verizon DSL and not much has changed. The only thing changed is my location and that Verizon is the only game in town. Yippie...

Ordering went smoothly and was completed online with no help from a support person. The website worked quite well and I give Verizon kudos for that. I set up an appointment date and time, 8am to 5pm... Seriously, can't we narrow that down a LITTLE? Thankfully the tech called beforehand and all was set up and ready to go. Just to hook up the modem...

So I hook up the modem and it wants me to activate service. I log in with my Verizon username and password and... it tells me to create my username and password. How odd... I call tech support. Complete waste of time. The tech had no clue of the issue, let alone how to resolve it. They just wanted me off the phone. A blind, deaf, neutered monkey would have provided better support. Thankfully the issue was simple impatience on my part, and I just needed to wait for the activation to go through. I'd hate to think I ever have to call again...

So far the service itself has been rock solid. I haven't tested speeds, but no dropped sync yet. I hope it stays this way... I remember how bad it was in Elizabeth...

***** Previous Service in Elizabeth, PA UPDATE (8-31-05) *****
Good: None
Bad: Sync loss, Denial of problem, Service interuptions, Merry-Go-Round contacts
Bottom Line: Verizon is the worst

All my services are now through Comcast. Even my POTS goes through Comcast. The Merry go round continued as I could not even contact Verizon to have my account cancelled. Thankfully, Comcast took care of that for me.

Unfortunately, I received a bill from Verizon just yesterday. I haven't had any Verizon services in 2 months and they still continue to bill me. I still can not contact Verizon, as their phone system hangs up on me when I call in.

Thus, I will be contacting Comcast shortly in hopes that they will remind Verizon what company my services are with.

This experience with Verizon is the worst I have EVER had with ANY company. I will NEVER do ANY business with Verizon EVER again.

(Oh, and I put certain things in CAPS for those who can't read)

***** UPDATE (5-4-05) *****

Shortly after my last update Verizon made the ultimate. My service has been terminated by Verizon. I did not receive any notice before service was terminated.

I called VOL to discuss my continuing service issues, and was notified by the tech that she could not troubleshoot because my account was terminated. I asked who had terminated my account, and she told me that it was automatically disconnected for nonpayment.

SINCE MY BILL WAS PAID UP, I asked her to transfer me to billing. This is where the merry-go-round begins. Instead of billing, I get sales. Sales transfers me to telco sales who transfers me back to tech support. Tired of the hassle I hang up and call VOL billing myself.

VOL billing informs me that their attempt to charge my phone bill was blocked by Verizon telco. So now I'm off to Verizon telco billing. Right? Wrong.

Merry-go-round part 2 begins as I end up in sales, tech support, and then back to VOL billing. Exhausted I have given up. It's too much hassle for me to keep this crap. I think I'm going to give Comcast a call and have my entire phone service switched over. Sure it's a little more expensive, but they won't disconnect my services without reason.

***** UPDATE (4-5-05) *****

After using Verizon for several months I have run into some problems. Sync consistently drops, often 10 times a day or more. Upon calls to Verizon, nothing is wrong with my line. This despite persistent problems with voice service as well.

My initial ratings have dropped greatly, and continue to do so the more I deal with Verizon. The good news is that I have come up with a snappy motto for Verizon. "If you've never had phone problems, you've never had Verizon."

The honeymoon is over, and although we're not getting divorced yet, we are headed for counseling.

***** Original Review*****

I placed an order for Verizon DSL on Saturday evening, December 4, through Verizon.net's website. Today, December 7, the DSL modem arrived in an install package. I hooked the modem up to verify sync. To my surprise the DSL came on solid green. Sync and only 4 days from my order date. Over a weekend at that!

I installed Verizon's self install software. I have to say that I'm impressed with their software. Very easy to use for those that need a lot of help and guidance. It should save a lot of time for their tech support. I skipped through much of the installation instructions and let the software install the PPPoE client and the support center. I was surprised to see that Verizon by default is still using software PPPoE clients when their modems could handle that. Makes my job easier of setting up my router later though. Oh, and this was installed on Win 98 SE via Ethernet.

After that I was up and running. Time for some tweaking. A few minutes with DSLR's tweaktester and Dr TCP and I was flying. I ordered the basic DSL service, 1500 kbps down and 384 kbps up for speed packaging. I was very pleased to see that my speeds were right on target.

To recap:
1500/384 Westell 2200, dynamic IP, PPPoE, $79 a month including unlimited long distance and local calling, 4 days from order to live and it was over a weekend. Ordered online.

I also admit that this is immediately after install. I will update as I get to use the service more.

member for 13.8 years, 4783 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caw See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Verizon DSL Internet"

Well I ordered the Verizon DSL Internet. It started out great, for about the first 7 years(7.3/5.3 Mbps) But now the last 2 years suck(1.0/0.66 Mbps). During the last eight month I have called verizon, only one tech helped to get the speed back again, but that only lasted one day? I am so piss off now, I just want to find another company. With their poor customer service help I will never use verizon again!

Comments:

Review by pk63015 See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "router/wireless modem combo"
Bad "poor connection, slow speed, not as advertised"
Overall "Have not enjoyed the experience"

Did not have installed in time frame promised, ordered speeds of 1.1-3Mbps--received speeds of of.250 kbps at best, would not keep connected to internet for 3 days.. Chats with Tech support yield calls to India or Pakistan.. Were of no help at all... Even after Tech arrived, speeds still not up to my satisfaction...

Comments:
fmorriso

join:2004-02-17
Sterling, VA
·Verizon Online DSL

Unreliable, paying for speed my circuit isn't capable of

I recently learned for the first time that I'm located 36,700 feet from the actual Verizion building that provides DSL internet access. I always knew I was beyond the 18,000 foot normal limit for DSL, but this is the first time I learned EXACTLY how far I was located. I was informed that my DSL "service" (a term I use loosely) was provided by something called a " remote circuit" (yet another detail nobody has ever told me) that I infer to be some type of "relay" to the "real" DSL circuitry. I've been paying for 3Mbps service but was told my "remote circuit" plus my distance means even the best equipment (mine is a DLINK DSL-2750B - is that considered "best"?) could never provide 3Mbps or anything even close. Even worse, the next step down, 1.5Mbps, is not even a possibility due to the "remote circuit" limitations. The only other choice for my "remote circuit" is 1Mbps. Bottom line: I've been paying "extra" for 3Mbps "service" (there's that word again) for a line/circuit that was NEVER capable of and never COULD be capable of 3mbps service. The only thing good about the new DLINK 2750B is that the DSL connection doesn't drop as often as the Westell 2200 that it replaced.

Review by KlubMarcus See Profile

• Location: Norfolk,Norfolk City,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable Connection, equipment arrived quickly"
Bad "Customer Service is lousy, tech support in India, billing is terrible"
Overall "Better than Cox and not much else"

·Cox HSI
Update: Verizon refunded me charges for "fixing" my phone line problems that THEY INSTALLED! It's a new house and Verizon had to wire it for service for the first time. It was their fault all along and they tried to bill me for the technician visit. Now I am waiting for credits to show up at next month's bill for several days of lost service.

Update: just got my first bill. There are so many little Verizon, local, state, and Federal charges that you are getting "nickled and dimed". Their local phone service is very expensive just to run DSL on top.

Switched to Verizon DSL from Cox HSI. Worth it. Got the 1.1 - 3 MBit option you get a local phone line and reliable internet. The top speed is slower but you won't get dropped in the middle of a game or stopped while streaming video. DSL is working already, FastPath not available. Phone service isn't set to activate until next week. Still waiting on the utility cable to be buried. Phone and DSL service went down for three days because of lack of coordination between regional office and local CO.

The stupid idiots at Verizon customer service would not price match their online prices. So I cancelled my original order. Then I re-ordered and got more speed for the same amount of money. Customers don't care how they got their service as long as they get the most performance for the least amount (or same) of money. So why force customers to cancel just so they can re-sign. Verizon execs are morons.

Comments:

ripoff

@spcsdns.net

ripoff

Verizon is loosing more & more good customers every single day I had them with my phone & cell phones & highspeed for years same line I moved out of town wanted to move my high speed. They said I have to get a phone to have highspeed u can't just get highspeed anymore by itself I checked online and seen online deals highsppeed internet by itself they tried getting me to have phone tv & highspeed I went with cable cheaper