Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Speed, assuming PC is optimized. Reliability dependent upon several factors, generally good."
Bad "Tech support abyssmal unless escalated to management levels or higher."
Overall "Good value for the money vs cable or dedicated line dialup"

Original price was 39.95 with bundled discount of 5.00, since has been lowered to 29.95 - 768 / 128 service. Westtel WireSpeed modem and filters included in kit which was sent out prior to service activation. IP is dynamic. WinPoET software.

Without optimizations from DSLR, it would be a bit disappointing, but still much faster than dialup. Still waiting for the 1.5Mbps service - am about 8800ft or so from CO. Verizon slow to verify distance(they say over 12,000).

It is a shame that they outsource tech support. I believe an in - house support center would be better.

4/04 - I am still waiting for the upgrade to 1.5Mbps promised back in May 2003. I have called a half dozen times for a loop test... They keep telling me different distance numbers every time I call.

5/04 Good thing I was not holding my breath. Verizon's customer handling is abysmal. I know they have increased distance limits, and I have spent countless hours trying to get the upgrade they know I qualify for. I do not understand why they are holding out on me. They told me they would perform an override for the request, but then denied it right away, two days before they were supposed to get back to me. I have had so many loop tests, I am loopy. Verizon employees must get paid by the lie. An MLT turned up excellent, 25ms. I do not know what they think they have to gain by jerking me around. I also do not know why I keep giving them additional opportunities to redeem themselves. I know that people locally have been given the upgrade, and the limit for provisioning has been raised, so I am going to call one more time, and then the FCC will receive my paperwork.

Funny, Verizon mailed me twice for this upgrade, and followed it up with two phone calls. How ironic.

6/2/04 Received an Email from Verizon announcing my Service Order is in. I had noticed a speed increase, then came here to confirm it: 1329/138. Not bad for an upgrade that would actually make my connection worse, as per the VOL reps. Persistence finally pays off, a little over a year later.

12/6/04 -** Update** Called to upgrade to the 384Kbps upload. Verizon facilitated it, surprisingly enough, in one day. Have been using it since about 11/22. Smooth, no problems.

6/7/05 **Update** Called in Late April/Early May to upgrade to the 3.0M service. As usual, the runaround. I was told I was 13,100 feet from the CO, although I have always had a house that moved, sometimes within twenty minutes while on hold with Verizon. I began the incessant ladder climb and the shuffle between billing, sales and tech support to no avail. Finally was given a number for Customer Service in Ohio?! ( Supposedly a NY#, I am PA! ) and spoke to a Rep who agreed to find out my true distance. They came back with 9600 feet (BBR lists 8800+, so acceptable variation) and it took about 10 days more to get the upgrade through. In all about a 20-day or so wait.

I lose synch often, sometimes four times a day or more. Speed is probably 75% of rated Down, about 82% of rated up. Usually 2200/600 or therabouts. I am not using Verizon's WinPoET, so they would likely blame that. I can live with it, and the speed is fine for now, no complaints - I would prefer not to power down the modem as often though.

Verizon would do well to stop advertising these speed upgrades so aggressively, then the balking when customers ask for them. They need to stop fudging CO distances as well. I always knew my distance was under their guestimate, having traced the lines approximately myself. Folks need to be persistent with Verizon in verifying distances. At least this time it did not take a year to procure the upgrade.

7/29/05 Verizon shoots themselves in the foot once more. I changed my phone plan with several assurances that it would NOT affect DSL, something I have done successfully before. DSL was canceled anyway. Tech support from the 800 number is a joke, but one that is unfunny. The first "tech" that I spoke to tried to help, making me repeat all of the checks I had made on my end. Since there was no sync and my phone line worked, it was obvious that the problem was on their end. I spoke to several other "Support Agents" - one who identified himself as "Edgar Esperanza". I assume he thought that was a clever trick to use the Spanish word for "wait" in his name as he places folks with trouble on Intergalactic Hold.

Verizon needs to revamp their "tech support" as soon as possible. It is insulting to be presented with the suggestion of logging onto a Website that a lack of Internet access prevents. It is a shame that the only true help that is available comes either by trial and error in finding a responsible person via the 800 DSL help line, or by escalation to Complaint Resolution personnel, the latter being the usual necessary route. As it is, restoring an erroneously-disconnected service takes way too long, despite the assurances that "we never are able to restore a service as fast as yours was". Verizon is WAY too compartmentalized and departmentalized.

I do thank the folks in Customer Relations who helped correct the buffoonery. Even so, I have downgraded the review in some categories. Frankly I am surprised that Verizon retains their Bronze level because their support is so bad.

**5/11/07 Nothing really new to report, but DSLR keeps asking for an update. I received an invite to FiOS, but unless the price is equal to the 3.0/768 I have now, it is a non-starter. My friend has it and says he has yet to see a difference. It is great to have 15/5, but apparently servers/backbones/page loading are the bottlenecks. My system is 80 times faster than his, but I'll need more evidence that there is a noticeable speed increase over what I have now.

**5/28/07 I ordered FiOS because the price is a bit better now. I will be going to the 5M/2M service because it is only 2 dollars more than what I have now. I also will be able to dump Verizon phone services, so that will put me ahead a few bucks.

**3/23/08 Still with FiOS, great change from DSL.

member for 12.1 years, 1908 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HaloFans See Profile

• Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Worked for over 12+ years with 2-3 days no Internet per year."
Bad "Zero network improvements. Price keeps going up similar to cable company's practices."
Overall "Go to cable company for Internet unless you need an active POTS line for emergencies."

Update 1/21/2015: Left this service for cable. Kept POTS line in case of emergencies.

Began service in 2003.

Verizon gave me a modem (Westell 2200), some line filters, and an ethernet cable. Service activated in 2 weeks at 768 kbps / 128 kbps over ADSL1. Within a week, all service lines went down including the telephone. A tech was sent out to install a splitter at the NID and a dedicated port for DSL only.

No major problems then. A different tech replaced the splitter a few years ago due to the test port terminals corroding and gave me a Westell 6100 modem.

I've since upgraded to a TP-Link TD-8810 for the Broadcom chip, which supposedly is superior at handling long distance lines from the information I looked up in an Australian tech forum.

However, speeds have only upgraded to 2100 kbps / 384 kbps, which over past few the days has changed to 1800 kbps / 512 kbps via RE-ADSL2.

Tech support is now useless as all the first tiers are now outsourced to India. The local CO call handler says the (22) wire gauges are too thin to support my line any further.

Price goes up every year proportional to the cable company's pricing.

I want to switch to cable company internet while keeping the landline since I live in an area where the cell phone towers are not serviced regularly (i.e. power outages = no cell phone service). However, given Verizon's notorious history of botching service changes + billing overcharges, I am forced to keep paying the $80 package which includes useless inside wire maintenance fees. I absolutely cannot lose my phone # due to sensitivity of other services + old relatives.

Comments:

Review by Fran See Profile

• Location: Langhorne,Bucks,PA
Bad "all they can do well is upsell to FIOS"
Overall "Unreliable, horrible service, want rid of DSL customers"

Have had "enhanced" DSL 1.5-3.0 for years with regular outages, especially during rain. Both phone and DSL went out this week and they did a line repair but now my speed has been cut in half! (.4-1.5- I htink I have been hit with the "optimized down" trick, I believe) Tonight THREE different foreign techs with no answers or help. Tired to blame my PC etc but nothing changed except a Verizon service call. So s-l-o-w that emails with attachments don't download.

I sign into My Verizon and all it is is ads and pop ups for FIOS.

Comments:
shadowbane

You're not alone

I've from central pa and I live in a rural area with 3.0 Mbit DSL and it totally sucks anymore cause well THE INTERNET HAS GROWN with all this HD everything now. So I do know they laid FIOS lines in my area but have yet to hook them up heheheh go figure.

Anywho this is the modem I have now. »www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Verizon ··· 0BLYUNH4 but I'm not totally convinced its the best they have but online reviews of this modem state that its good. I'm tempted to buy that one Netgear DSL modem router that has wireless. »www.amazon.com/Netgear-Router-80 ··· del+6200 Just to see if it makes my life any worse or better since Verizon won't get frigging FIOS around here.

I have one alternative to having DSL and that's go with TELEMEDIA Cable Internet but at the same speed and pay about $10 more LOL plus they're very nosy about what you download and you're online habits which is B$ and none of their business period especially since I'm paying for it! I pay $40 now for 3 mbit DSL from Verizon.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

?

are the ads and popups not applicable?

Review by debinsspring See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Overall "Terrible"

For a long time we were paying for 3.0, and getting about 1.5. Then the congestion started, (we have copper) and it was hell. Bad connection or no connection. Then we were told by a tech who visited we could not get 2.0 here (too far from Central Office) bet we could get 1.5, but office says they don't give 1.5, - so they dropped us to 1.0! We had better internet several years ago. Congestion, poor maintenance, and lack of concern is the problem in a nutshell. I know that because of times of day I cannot stream CNN (usually in afternoon/evening). We have had terrible issues with poorly maintained lines too. All that stuff about water and the elements, - we are enduring it here. We bite the bullet because the ONLY alternative is Cable, and they are expensive and it is a hassle to change an email address. We would be happy with 1.5 consistently. We only ask for internet for our two laptops, and we don't do anything fancy here to hog bandwidth! The most we ask is to be able to stream the news channels! The overseas techs are terrible. They will cry along with you (they are very polite) but they don't know enough to be worthwhile, and they are a contradiction with what is happening in your back yard. My daughter lives in Collegeville about 45 min away. They have had ultra high speed (FIOS) for years now, while we in this area live in the dark ages, and while the area is being built up, they just keep piling more folks on the copper lines, so between the degradation of same and the traffic, we are miserable here.

Comments:

pjsutton

Try this..

If you're having congestion issues, you should post on the Verizon Direct forum. They are much more helpful than techs over the phone. Sounds like they need to move you onto a different router at the CO.

And, just because the tech that comes to your house says you can get something, doesn't mean it's offered to you. The tech who installed my DSL said the line could handle 8.5 Mbps, but for arbitrary reasons Verizon won't offer anything higher than 3 Mbps.

pissedoff

@74.99.128.x

poor speed

Same problem here.. Verizon is pulling a fast one and the problem has escalated beyond their control.. I believe that they recently made a provisioning change.. My termination went from Lancaster to Harrisburg.. Speed was 5mb/s now is an unheard of .16mb/s no I did not place the decimal point in the wrong position.. Line from CO to residence checks out clean and wiring from pole to modem is brand new (4 years old). Time for the PA PUC to step up to the plate and investigate Verizon..

Re: poor speed

They have a bit of work still to do in my area to live up to the 100% DSL deployment by 12/31 of this year. They'd better start dropping RT's all over the place to meet that deadline.

Wishing for FIOS

Like in my area they seriously need to get FIOS moving. I can't do video chats or stream anything like netflix or hulu or nothing cause my DSL can't keep up...I have that Actiontec GT784 wireless model which I'm hearing great reviews about but still all it does is buffer itself to death LOL. My cable company is totally a joke cause its a small time dealer called Tele-Media and they think 7mbit internet is fast hahahaha I guess they haven't heard of someone called Comcast even though they're bad news too lol. What's worse is they advertise 7mbit internet but we don't get it around here where I live. Heh no surprise there either.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

I just Googled the location in your profile and I really doubt they are doing FIOS. There can be fiber optic cables run that have nothing to do with FIOS. My DSL remote terminal is fed by fiber back to the CO; most of them are. But we will never get FIOS being a rural part of the state.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

you're probably right...which is B$ cause we're paying for that I think to in the form of some tax or fee I forget what though. But how I wonder are they gonna meet that TITLE 2 mandate of having to offer their customers 25 mbits though? That is what I'm curious about though.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

They won't call it "broadband" ... They already market it as "High speed internet" so they're good. Also, I think that only affects companies who took subsidies to deploy DSL. Verizon didn't.

Review by fess See Profile

• Location: Muncy,Lycoming,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Speed per $ is very poor"
Overall "No other choice except for satellite "

The service is highly unstable. Multiple retrains per day. Verizon wants to do little to correct issues with copper but this is the only service I can get at my residence.

Comments:

Review by TCPIP3 See Profile

• Location: Churchville,Harford,MD
Good "Low Cost"
Bad "Connection is lost frequently"
Overall "Slow and undependable"

Our problems are location specific which we know to be the case because we also have service from Verizon at another location 200 miles distant. Telephone service has been lost several time this year. DSL carrier loss is more frequent. Service is slow. Area is serviced by an old copper cable that Verizon seems to have no interest in adequately maintaining or replacing. It is anticipated that their intention is to install fiber optic service and therefore investing in the copper plant is not cost effective.

Comments:

Review by Robert1010 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Service is as bad as it can be. They want $30.00 to figure what is wrong with there new junk gateway"
Overall "service NO send Verizon more cash"

I have a DSL2750b gateway. The first one would only connect to an HP4620 printer if the security was turned off. The 2nd gateway did the same thing. When they did connect they still did not work. I have an Actiontec GT704wg that works normal. It connects, prints, hosts other computers on my WPA network. The Actiontec has other problems.
The wps will find the printer, but not connect. Both gateways have firm ware 1.44.And hardware T1. S/N is PX2M1BC036379.

Verizon does not care after being a customer for 12 years. They told me to go to Comcast cable.
PLEASE help me.
robert banks
rbanks10@verizon.net

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08
·Shaw

They told me to go to Comcast cable

"They told me to go to Comcast cable"

cause they are now partnered with them, so either way they get your money. best of luck to you.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US

Well..

If cable is available at your address, I don't see why you don't ditch VZ for everything but phone (as you have stated elsewhere you had that voice line a very long time - number porting could be risky.)

Its clear VZ just does not care going by your forum saga, I personally would not give them another dime until fiber shows up at my door.

If your afraid to make the jump to Commiecast (my nickname for the horror that is Comcast) I understand that - their customer support is known for its poor service.

VZ did not have to tell me to leave though - I left 3mbit ADSL for 28mbit cable and never looked back, it would be hard to go back to 3mbit early-2000s era DSL.

Review by bedfordite See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Bedford,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Overall "Reliability and speed have been better and cheaper. "

Increased the price and throttled the speed.

Comments:

Review by tschopper1 See Profile

• Location: Parkville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local Line Technicians"
Bad "Tech support, inconsistent connection and sporatic download speeds"
Overall "Not ready for Prime Time"

1500/384 Kbps interleaved, service tier @ 19.95 month
13400' from Central Office
Westell Wirespeed B90-210015-04 Rev F Modem
Linksys BEFSX 41 Router provided Pppoe
Start of Service 2002

The order and install process was simple, immediately had issues with dropped connections and download speeds which were diagnosed over a period of several months,as a combination of problems with connection (copper lines) to the central office and old house wiring. The line technicians went above and beyond my expectations in time spent to trouble shoot and repair the connection to the Central Office and bypassing my house wiring in order to provide me with a stable and speed rated connection. They used every means possible to cut the on initial install distance of 15000' to the present 13400' This work was accomplished over several months and my expenditure of many hours on the phone to many levels of tech support. I would estimate that the line technicians spent in excess of twenty four man hours to repair/bypass the problems with the old infrastructure.

After the line techs efforts I was receiving by test, consistent 1542 Kbps download and 382 Kbps upload speeds for a period of four plus years.

As of the last two weeks, I am now experiencing by test, diminished download speeds and sporadic (time of day/night) very slow connections, connections timed out, slow page loading, POP3 mail (can't find the server) and disconnects.

I have spent many hours testing my system for problems including testing for virus and malware. No problems found!

Frustrated, but what is my option, Cable?

»/linequality/n ··· /2346769

member for 10.8 years, 311 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

badverizon

@198.255.162.x

horrible costumer service

Verizon accidentally disconnected my internet a month early. I had to spend over 3 hours on the phone with them, talking to 9 different people. They then told me they would reactivate it (after 5 days) and would cover activation fees and give me a credit and would call me the next day to set it up. I never received a call to set it up. So I called Verizon. And then guess what happens? They said there was no way that they were going to cover activation and instillation fees and would not credit me, despite their initial mistakes, my wasted time, and their promise. Then sat on the phone for another 45 minutes only to be screamed at by a Verizon rep and be told that they could not find me in their records despite the fact that I paid them for 4 years.

Review by Coolbrz See Profile

• Location: Kane,Mckean,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable, good service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Starting to look elsewhere"

Update #3 Jan 31st

Still trying to cancel service. Residential seems to think im walmart. The email address i was given responded that they cannot find my account. I am back on the phone with business to try and cancel.

Update #2 today

Still trying to cancel service with verizon. Apparently they have my account as a business account and not residential, meaning i get bounced around a bit. Finally after 3 reps and 2 hours across 2 days i was given an email address to cancel service.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jan 30th 2014

Again another price increase with same service. This area will never be upgraded past copper so why keep jacking the price up. At any rate, i am done with Verizon. Comcast internet for 25/5 package is 38$/month versus verizon 3m/768 (still) and verizon keeps upping the ante with nothing seen on my side.

End Update

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nov 3, 2012

I'm in a different area now, still using Verizon DSL 3M/768k

Still stable, rarely ever an outage. That has been the main reason Ive stuck with them this long paying 34$/month for a dry loop.

Just received an email that they are raising the price 5 bucks. I guess the attrition is starting. They will never upgrade my area, too small, so i understand, but really bump up the price on DSL another 5 bucks?!?

For the lousy speed, Ill pass. My days are numbered with Verizon.

End Update

I have had the service since, November 2001, just now getting the review in.

My only gripe I have (reason for some low scores) is the prequal checks on my line. Called up for service, billing said I didnt qualify. Ok no prob, my landlord (same house) calls up and his is good. I call again, still no go. I call a third time, and finally got someone that tested it correctly I assume, and was go to go.

Now, fast forward to the speed increase, I call to see if I qualify, the lady says I do not. My landlord calls, and he qualifies?!?! So I call again and get a guy on the phone (wish I remembered his name, cuz he was quite decent), checked my line and said no problem and put the order in for the speed increase.

Other than those headaches, Verizon has been very good to me here and for the year I had it in Philly. Total of about 10 hours without service over 2 seperate days in the entire time I have had it. Speeds and pings are consistently good.

Thumbs up to Verizon from me.

July 1, 2004 Update (system bugs me from time to time )

Not much has changed, I did get the upload speed increased to 384 and that seems alright. Only problem I had recently was some Intermitant sync. There were a couple nights that I was working late, (roughly 2 am) and the ready light would drop and resync. This would happen every ten minutes or so. One night it began as early as 10PM.

Well, anyhow, I had had enough one night and decided to use the Online chat support. I really only wanted to see if there were any tickets open for my area (nothing on the network status page). I explained the entire issue and the agent came back with "If the ready light is going out, that means a disruption in the signal".......No kidding, ummmm

"There is no outages in your area"

Okay, thats all I wanted to know. Perhaps it was my wiring or something. My roommate does not lose connection. Mine only seems to drop from time to time late night (after midnight) and possibly the morning. It does not drop often from what I can tell, may need to look into it some more but for right now Im fine.

Other than that, things are roughly the same during the time that I use it and am not working late

Still a thumbs up from Verizon from me, it runs close to the caps and the int. connection at late hours is not too bad......yet

Tech support was a little iffy, so that rating remains a 3. I almost bumped it to a 2 as the tech just repeated to me over and over what the ready light flashing meant, after I explained myself. Ahhh well, such is life I guess.

Nov 1 2004

Not with Verizon anymore, have moved to a new place and have Adelphia cable. Still nothing really bad to say about Verizon, it is a solid service in this neck of the woods.

member for 12.2 years, 4739 visits, last login: a few hours ago