Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by HaloFans See Profile

• Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Worked for over 12+ years with 2-3 days no Internet per year."
Bad "Zero network improvements. Price keeps going up similar to cable company's practices."
Overall "Go to cable company for Internet unless you need an active POTS line for emergencies."

Update 1/21/2015: Left this service for cable. Kept POTS line in case of emergencies.

Began service in 2003.

Verizon gave me a modem (Westell 2200), some line filters, and an ethernet cable. Service activated in 2 weeks at 768 kbps / 128 kbps over ADSL1. Within a week, all service lines went down including the telephone. A tech was sent out to install a splitter at the NID and a dedicated port for DSL only.

No major problems then. A different tech replaced the splitter a few years ago due to the test port terminals corroding and gave me a Westell 6100 modem.

I've since upgraded to a TP-Link TD-8810 for the Broadcom chip, which supposedly is superior at handling long distance lines from the information I looked up in an Australian tech forum.

However, speeds have only upgraded to 2100 kbps / 384 kbps, which over past few the days has changed to 1800 kbps / 512 kbps via RE-ADSL2.

Tech support is now useless as all the first tiers are now outsourced to India. The local CO call handler says the (22) wire gauges are too thin to support my line any further.

Price goes up every year proportional to the cable company's pricing.

I want to switch to cable company internet while keeping the landline since I live in an area where the cell phone towers are not serviced regularly (i.e. power outages = no cell phone service). However, given Verizon's notorious history of botching service changes + billing overcharges, I am forced to keep paying the $80 package which includes useless inside wire maintenance fees. I absolutely cannot lose my phone # due to sensitivity of other services + old relatives.

member for 8.1 years, 722 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Fran See Profile

• Location: Langhorne,Bucks,PA
Bad "all they can do well is upsell to FIOS"
Overall "Unreliable, horrible service, want rid of DSL customers"

Have had "enhanced" DSL 1.5-3.0 for years with regular outages, especially during rain. Both phone and DSL went out this week and they did a line repair but now my speed has been cut in half! (.4-1.5- I htink I have been hit with the "optimized down" trick, I believe) Tonight THREE different foreign techs with no answers or help. Tired to blame my PC etc but nothing changed except a Verizon service call. So s-l-o-w that emails with attachments don't download.

I sign into My Verizon and all it is is ads and pop ups for FIOS.

Comments:
shadowbane

You're not alone

I've from central pa and I live in a rural area with 3.0 Mbit DSL and it totally sucks anymore cause well THE INTERNET HAS GROWN with all this HD everything now. So I do know they laid FIOS lines in my area but have yet to hook them up heheheh go figure.

Anywho this is the modem I have now. »www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Verizon···0BLYUNH4 but I'm not totally convinced its the best they have but online reviews of this modem state that its good. I'm tempted to buy that one Netgear DSL modem router that has wireless. »www.amazon.com/Netgear-Router-80···del+6200 Just to see if it makes my life any worse or better since Verizon won't get frigging FIOS around here.

I have one alternative to having DSL and that's go with TELEMEDIA Cable Internet but at the same speed and pay about $10 more LOL plus they're very nosy about what you download and you're online habits which is B$ and none of their business period especially since I'm paying for it! I pay $40 now for 3 mbit DSL from Verizon.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

?

are the ads and popups not applicable?

Review by debinsspring See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Overall "Terrible"

For a long time we were paying for 3.0, and getting about 1.5. Then the congestion started, (we have copper) and it was hell. Bad connection or no connection. Then we were told by a tech who visited we could not get 2.0 here (too far from Central Office) bet we could get 1.5, but office says they don't give 1.5, - so they dropped us to 1.0! We had better internet several years ago. Congestion, poor maintenance, and lack of concern is the problem in a nutshell. I know that because of times of day I cannot stream CNN (usually in afternoon/evening). We have had terrible issues with poorly maintained lines too. All that stuff about water and the elements, - we are enduring it here. We bite the bullet because the ONLY alternative is Cable, and they are expensive and it is a hassle to change an email address. We would be happy with 1.5 consistently. We only ask for internet for our two laptops, and we don't do anything fancy here to hog bandwidth! The most we ask is to be able to stream the news channels! The overseas techs are terrible. They will cry along with you (they are very polite) but they don't know enough to be worthwhile, and they are a contradiction with what is happening in your back yard. My daughter lives in Collegeville about 45 min away. They have had ultra high speed (FIOS) for years now, while we in this area live in the dark ages, and while the area is being built up, they just keep piling more folks on the copper lines, so between the degradation of same and the traffic, we are miserable here.

Comments:

pjsutton

Try this..

If you're having congestion issues, you should post on the Verizon Direct forum. They are much more helpful than techs over the phone. Sounds like they need to move you onto a different router at the CO.

And, just because the tech that comes to your house says you can get something, doesn't mean it's offered to you. The tech who installed my DSL said the line could handle 8.5 Mbps, but for arbitrary reasons Verizon won't offer anything higher than 3 Mbps.

pissedoff

@74.99.128.x

poor speed

Same problem here.. Verizon is pulling a fast one and the problem has escalated beyond their control.. I believe that they recently made a provisioning change.. My termination went from Lancaster to Harrisburg.. Speed was 5mb/s now is an unheard of .16mb/s no I did not place the decimal point in the wrong position.. Line from CO to residence checks out clean and wiring from pole to modem is brand new (4 years old). Time for the PA PUC to step up to the plate and investigate Verizon..

Re: poor speed

They have a bit of work still to do in my area to live up to the 100% DSL deployment by 12/31 of this year. They'd better start dropping RT's all over the place to meet that deadline.

Wishing for FIOS

Like in my area they seriously need to get FIOS moving. I can't do video chats or stream anything like netflix or hulu or nothing cause my DSL can't keep up...I have that Actiontec GT784 wireless model which I'm hearing great reviews about but still all it does is buffer itself to death LOL. My cable company is totally a joke cause its a small time dealer called Tele-Media and they think 7mbit internet is fast hahahaha I guess they haven't heard of someone called Comcast even though they're bad news too lol. What's worse is they advertise 7mbit internet but we don't get it around here where I live. Heh no surprise there either.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

I just Googled the location in your profile and I really doubt they are doing FIOS. There can be fiber optic cables run that have nothing to do with FIOS. My DSL remote terminal is fed by fiber back to the CO; most of them are. But we will never get FIOS being a rural part of the state.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

you're probably right...which is B$ cause we're paying for that I think to in the form of some tax or fee I forget what though. But how I wonder are they gonna meet that TITLE 2 mandate of having to offer their customers 25 mbits though? That is what I'm curious about though.

Re: Wishing for FIOS

They won't call it "broadband" ... They already market it as "High speed internet" so they're good. Also, I think that only affects companies who took subsidies to deploy DSL. Verizon didn't.

Review by fess See Profile

• Location: Muncy,Lycoming,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Speed per $ is very poor"
Overall "No other choice except for satellite "

The service is highly unstable. Multiple retrains per day. Verizon wants to do little to correct issues with copper but this is the only service I can get at my residence.

member for 11.2 years, 396 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TCPIP3 See Profile

• Location: Churchville,Harford,MD
Good "Low Cost"
Bad "Connection is lost frequently"
Overall "Slow and undependable"

Our problems are location specific which we know to be the case because we also have service from Verizon at another location 200 miles distant. Telephone service has been lost several time this year. DSL carrier loss is more frequent. Service is slow. Area is serviced by an old copper cable that Verizon seems to have no interest in adequately maintaining or replacing. It is anticipated that their intention is to install fiber optic service and therefore investing in the copper plant is not cost effective.

Comments:

Review by Robert1010 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "Service is as bad as it can be. They want $30.00 to figure what is wrong with there new junk gateway"
Overall "service NO send Verizon more cash"

I have a DSL2750b gateway. The first one would only connect to an HP4620 printer if the security was turned off. The 2nd gateway did the same thing. When they did connect they still did not work. I have an Actiontec GT704wg that works normal. It connects, prints, hosts other computers on my WPA network. The Actiontec has other problems.
The wps will find the printer, but not connect. Both gateways have firm ware 1.44.And hardware T1. S/N is PX2M1BC036379.

Verizon does not care after being a customer for 12 years. They told me to go to Comcast cable.
PLEASE help me.
robert banks
rbanks10@verizon.net

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08

They told me to go to Comcast cable

"They told me to go to Comcast cable"

cause they are now partnered with them, so either way they get your money. best of luck to you.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US

Well..

If cable is available at your address, I don't see why you don't ditch VZ for everything but phone (as you have stated elsewhere you had that voice line a very long time - number porting could be risky.)

Its clear VZ just does not care going by your forum saga, I personally would not give them another dime until fiber shows up at my door.

If your afraid to make the jump to Commiecast (my nickname for the horror that is Comcast) I understand that - their customer support is known for its poor service.

VZ did not have to tell me to leave though - I left 3mbit ADSL for 28mbit cable and never looked back, it would be hard to go back to 3mbit early-2000s era DSL.

Review by bedfordite See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Bedford,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Overall "Reliability and speed have been better and cheaper. "

Increased the price and throttled the speed.

Comments:

Review by tschopper1 See Profile

• Location: Parkville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local Line Technicians"
Bad "Tech support, inconsistent connection and sporatic download speeds"
Overall "Not ready for Prime Time"

1500/384 Kbps interleaved, service tier @ 19.95 month
13400' from Central Office
Westell Wirespeed B90-210015-04 Rev F Modem
Linksys BEFSX 41 Router provided Pppoe
Start of Service 2002

The order and install process was simple, immediately had issues with dropped connections and download speeds which were diagnosed over a period of several months,as a combination of problems with connection (copper lines) to the central office and old house wiring. The line technicians went above and beyond my expectations in time spent to trouble shoot and repair the connection to the Central Office and bypassing my house wiring in order to provide me with a stable and speed rated connection. They used every means possible to cut the on initial install distance of 15000' to the present 13400' This work was accomplished over several months and my expenditure of many hours on the phone to many levels of tech support. I would estimate that the line technicians spent in excess of twenty four man hours to repair/bypass the problems with the old infrastructure.

After the line techs efforts I was receiving by test, consistent 1542 Kbps download and 382 Kbps upload speeds for a period of four plus years.

As of the last two weeks, I am now experiencing by test, diminished download speeds and sporadic (time of day/night) very slow connections, connections timed out, slow page loading, POP3 mail (can't find the server) and disconnects.

I have spent many hours testing my system for problems including testing for virus and malware. No problems found!

Frustrated, but what is my option, Cable?

»/linequality/nil/2346769

Comments:

badverizon

@198.255.162.x

horrible costumer service

Verizon accidentally disconnected my internet a month early. I had to spend over 3 hours on the phone with them, talking to 9 different people. They then told me they would reactivate it (after 5 days) and would cover activation fees and give me a credit and would call me the next day to set it up. I never received a call to set it up. So I called Verizon. And then guess what happens? They said there was no way that they were going to cover activation and instillation fees and would not credit me, despite their initial mistakes, my wasted time, and their promise. Then sat on the phone for another 45 minutes only to be screamed at by a Verizon rep and be told that they could not find me in their records despite the fact that I paid them for 4 years.

Review by Coolbrz See Profile

• Location: Kane,Mckean,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable, good service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Starting to look elsewhere"

Update #3 Jan 31st

Still trying to cancel service. Residential seems to think im walmart. The email address i was given responded that they cannot find my account. I am back on the phone with business to try and cancel.

Update #2 today

Still trying to cancel service with verizon. Apparently they have my account as a business account and not residential, meaning i get bounced around a bit. Finally after 3 reps and 2 hours across 2 days i was given an email address to cancel service.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jan 30th 2014

Again another price increase with same service. This area will never be upgraded past copper so why keep jacking the price up. At any rate, i am done with Verizon. Comcast internet for 25/5 package is 38$/month versus verizon 3m/768 (still) and verizon keeps upping the ante with nothing seen on my side.

End Update

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nov 3, 2012

I'm in a different area now, still using Verizon DSL 3M/768k

Still stable, rarely ever an outage. That has been the main reason Ive stuck with them this long paying 34$/month for a dry loop.

Just received an email that they are raising the price 5 bucks. I guess the attrition is starting. They will never upgrade my area, too small, so i understand, but really bump up the price on DSL another 5 bucks?!?

For the lousy speed, Ill pass. My days are numbered with Verizon.

End Update

I have had the service since, November 2001, just now getting the review in.

My only gripe I have (reason for some low scores) is the prequal checks on my line. Called up for service, billing said I didnt qualify. Ok no prob, my landlord (same house) calls up and his is good. I call again, still no go. I call a third time, and finally got someone that tested it correctly I assume, and was go to go.

Now, fast forward to the speed increase, I call to see if I qualify, the lady says I do not. My landlord calls, and he qualifies?!?! So I call again and get a guy on the phone (wish I remembered his name, cuz he was quite decent), checked my line and said no problem and put the order in for the speed increase.

Other than those headaches, Verizon has been very good to me here and for the year I had it in Philly. Total of about 10 hours without service over 2 seperate days in the entire time I have had it. Speeds and pings are consistently good.

Thumbs up to Verizon from me.

July 1, 2004 Update (system bugs me from time to time )

Not much has changed, I did get the upload speed increased to 384 and that seems alright. Only problem I had recently was some Intermitant sync. There were a couple nights that I was working late, (roughly 2 am) and the ready light would drop and resync. This would happen every ten minutes or so. One night it began as early as 10PM.

Well, anyhow, I had had enough one night and decided to use the Online chat support. I really only wanted to see if there were any tickets open for my area (nothing on the network status page). I explained the entire issue and the agent came back with "If the ready light is going out, that means a disruption in the signal".......No kidding, ummmm

"There is no outages in your area"

Okay, thats all I wanted to know. Perhaps it was my wiring or something. My roommate does not lose connection. Mine only seems to drop from time to time late night (after midnight) and possibly the morning. It does not drop often from what I can tell, may need to look into it some more but for right now Im fine.

Other than that, things are roughly the same during the time that I use it and am not working late

Still a thumbs up from Verizon from me, it runs close to the caps and the int. connection at late hours is not too bad......yet

Tech support was a little iffy, so that rating remains a 3. I almost bumped it to a 2 as the tech just repeated to me over and over what the ready light flashing meant, after I explained myself. Ahhh well, such is life I guess.

Nov 1 2004

Not with Verizon anymore, have moved to a new place and have Adelphia cable. Still nothing really bad to say about Verizon, it is a solid service in this neck of the woods.

member for 12.1 years, 4705 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DownTheShore See Profile

• Location: Beautiful NJ
Good "It's better than dial-up"
Bad "It's only slightly better than dial-up"
Overall "It's just enough speed to keep me connected to the Web"

I have the lowest-tier DSL service offered by Verizon, so I knew going in that it was going to be much slower than my previous cable broadband service. The tier's service is supposed to be .5-1 Mbps download. My total cost per month is $24.95, with no contract and no termination fee. The Westell 7500 router was free. So, this is basically what I used to pay with my old CompuServe dial-up service. Given that that was 20 years ago and download service speeds now on other services are up to 75/35 Mbps (FIOS), this service is way overpriced.

My speed right now is approx. 1184 Kbps / 384 Kbps, though sometimes that drops as low as 300kbps down and a trickle up. I've noticed that tends to happen when the weather is stormy. When the initial connection was made, my speed was approx 900/200, so it has increased since then.

This is a dry line connection; I don't have phone service from Verizon. I don't know if Verizon still offers the dry line connection package anymore. When I signed up, I was told that I was too far from the Central Office for a faster speed, though after installation I was subsequently offered the next higher tier, 1.1-3 Mbps. Since I figured that I would probably just get the 1.1 Mbps bit rather than the 3 Mbps bit, I declined their offer, and its $15/mo higher price. I believe I have 7-9 mailboxes with this service, but I haven't used them so I can't comment on that. There is a Verizon home page that is set up with the service that gives access to my account, news, a search function, etc., but I don't use it; I always set a blank page as my home page on my browsers because I don't need to waste time waiting for an ISP's page to load.

The service technician who installed the service was professional, didn't rush the install and made the extra effort to get access to additional parts of my building from apt. management. He answered any questions that I had, ensured that my service was working, and gave me his name and number to contact if I had any additional problems. My connection to the Verizon DSL service required only one technician visit. I have no complaints about it, or about the phone service reps I spoke with to set up the service. I haven't had any real major breaks in service that have required re-contact with customer service, so I can't comment further on that.

My current phone service is through Vonage, and I am still able to use it with this Verizon DSL service. There is a breakup in voice if I am downloading when a call comes through, though, because there's just not enough bandwidth for both. Surprisingly, I am able to watch shows via Amazon Prime without any buffering delays. YouTube videos usually have buffering delays. Forget about other video streaming services - it just takes too long to load if it even does work at all. I belong to the Big Fish games site and often buy games from them; with cable broadband the download of a 600MB game used to take minutes, now it can take hours. If I've got a big file that I want to download, I usually bring my laptop over to someone's house who's got a broadband connection and download it there rather than at home. Any website that is graphics-intensive takes a noticeably longer time to load. The Internet Explorer browser is much slower with this connection; Firefox is slightly faster than IE, as is Opera. The fastest browser with this service is Pale Moon (a Firefox variant) which I use. I am also able to use my Squeezebox internet radio with this service.

Basic web browsing, while not instantaneous, is still faster than dial-up, especially if you're accessing forums and mainly text pages. The slowdowns come when there are a lot of images, a lot of Flash, and/or videos on the page that access automatically. FlashBlock is a good extension to have if you're using a Mozilla-flavor browser to cut down on the amount of elements that need to load and thus cut the bandwidth needed.

Right now, in a period of financial retrenchment, this service is just enough to give me a presence online and stay in touch with what's going on in the world. But this is only a temporary situation for me. I've had this service for about 10 months now and I still find its speed limitations annoying, so I will ultimately be returning to cable broadband in the future. This is merely a stop-gap measure for me. This service would probably be useful for a person who just wants basic internet access for email and light surfing.

UPDATE (2013): I did ultimately go back to cable broadband; I was able to come back to Optimum as a new customer and get a discount on the broadband service. DSL was just too slow for my needs; it was like a step back in time speed-wise and the Internet is just not geared to slow connections, nor are software developers as concerned with creating small program downloads anymore.

When I called Verizon to disconnect my service, the rep I spoke to was very pleasant and did offer to see if they could upgrade my speed. When I told her that I wasn't interested and that any speed upgrade they could give me was only going to be minimal based upon my distance from the Central Office, she didn't push the matter and got about the business of disconnecting my service. The service was disconnected without a hitch, I didn't have to return the Verizon modem, and I received a refund for the last month's percentage of unused service in a timely manner.

I have nothing negative to say about my dealings with Verizon. I was able to pick up service when I needed it and drop it when it no longer suited my needs. The personnel I dealt with were professional and helpful.