Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by wmorgan1970 See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Poor communication between departments. No one to hold accountable when service issues arise. Forced to take voice service."
Overall "Okay, as long as everything runs smoothly, otherwise you'll be forced to deal with a poorly trained, outsourced tech support."

·Charter
08/14/08: I have had Verizon DSL since 2004 with hardly a hiccup in all that time. Well, that was about to change. I Called Verizon billing office on August 14th to order an upgrade from 3/768 to 7.1/768. The rep says there is no such speed for FIOS?!? Um, I'm not calling for FIOS, I am calling for DSL. So, I figured that I would wait a week and try again.

08/21/08: I Called them back today to give it another shot. The rep that I spoke with was obviously from India, as her accent was so strong that I could barely understand her. I explained to her that I currently have DSL 3/768 service and was interested in upgrading to 7.1/768. She checked her system, and said that it was available in my area with a 1 year contract and that voice service was also required for $39.99 a month, then $42.99 a month after the first year was up (after renewing with another 1 year contract), at least this rep knew what 7.1 DSL was. Fine, I said sign me up. She gave me a service ready date of August 26th, said I could continue to use my current Actiontec router/modem, and that I needed to be home.

08/26/08 OK, 08/26 comes and goes, no upgrade.

08/27/08 I called them back today on the 27th and opened a trouble ticket. The rep I spoke with said that the last rep that placed the order for me, didn't enter it properly, and it was never dispatched to a local field tech. Ok, fine set me up again please. The rep gave me a new service ready date of September 2nd, and asked me to be home as the tech "may" have to do what is called a home run (place a filter at the NID). I said ok.

09/02/08 I took the day off and guess what? another no show. Ok, now I was not a happy camper.

09/03/08 Called back the next day on September 3rd, that rep said the same thing the last one did, the order wasn't placed correctly. Ok, set me up again please. The rep did so, and gave me a service ready date for September 9th (what is up with ONLY giving me Tuesday's, don't the field techs work more than one day a week?), anyway I said fine, and stayed home all day on the 9th, guess what?

09/09/08 You guessed it, NO SHOW., BUT, he did go to my local central office, and he CUT OFF MY INTERNET COMPLETELY., ok now I had had it. Called back that same day, was told that a rep would come out on the 16th some time between 8 am - 12 Noon, now I was fuming.It was bad enough I was missing time from my duties by taking off all day, but now I had no internet at all. When asking why I was cut off he said they have to do that first in order to upgrade my line to the new 7.1. That sounded fishy so I demand a supervisor, he says no that is not normal and said it must have been a mis-communication (yeah, no s*it).

09/16/08 The 16th comes, again a no show.

09/17/08 Called them the next day on the 17th and demanded a supervisor, who could barely speak english. He apologized several times and said he was escalating my problem to a dept for supervisors, and that someone from that dept. would be calling me within the next 24-48 hours to set up an appt. They actually called that same evening, and they set me up with a new service ready date of September 18th. They asked if I could be home. I said yes, I would be.

09/18/08 September 18th comes, NO SHOW! Now I am truly livid, as I have missed five days of my duties and stayed at home for nothing AND with no internet. I came here to DSLR and found a toll-free number to Verizon Customer Advocacy group, but guess what? they don't help you with a Verizon DSL problem, only a problem with your landline service. So I was back to square one. I called the outsourced call center in India and demanded to speak with yet another supervisor. Apparently none of the former reps or supervisors added ANY notes to my account, so they would know this is an ongoing issue, so I had to explain my lack of customer service issue to him from the beginning, he said to wait for someone to call me back from the same escalations dept. Finally someone from the USA got involved this time around, and returned my call a few hours later. The agent I spoke with said he would handle it personally and that someone would come out on the 19th and that I needed to be home, OK.

09/19/08 19th comes and again another no-show, called (you know the deal by now) and was given a new date of September 22nd (great,another weekend with no internet) Not like I really have a choice in the matter, Ok, fine I will be home on the 22nd

09/22/08 FINALLY a field tech shows up on the 22nd, but , not to my residence but to my local central office instead (field tech told supervisor I didn't need to be home after all, no home run required), since I reside in an large apt. complex, and doing a home run in a multi-dwelling unit can be troublesome and very time consuming, so now I had missed 7 days for nothing. This tech finally gets me up and running with 7.1/768 speed. He stopped by my apt. before heading out of town, and asked me to pull up my stats on the gateway to make sure I was getting good numbers. He was satisfied with the transtats, so all was good. I asked him if he knew what in the world happened with my upgrade. He explained to me, that apparently the first field tech who was dispatched to my local central office, moved my line over to a different card in the rack at the DSLAM but he didn't provision it properly once he moved it over. At least that was the gist of it, since it was nearly 7pm and past his normal quitting time, and the man was tired, as I was as well. So I didn't ask him to go into great detail.

09/23/08 I called Verizon Online billing/sales dept. today to complain about what I had been through and how I was being treated as a paying customer, and the retentions dept said they would give me 4 free months of service for all of my trouble, and being without internet for 2 weeks. So, I will update when my next bill arrives and let you know how that went. But I am not holding my breath with the billing dept., especially after what I had just experienced.

10/17/08: Well, bill cycled online today, and guess what? Yep. No 4 month free credit!I was charged the full $39.99 for the service. It's to late to call today, since the retentions dept. is currently closed. I will try to contact them on Monday when they reopen.

10/20/08: Called retentions dept. today (was hung up on the first 2 times). Rep that I spoke with was very friendly and said she would handle this immediately. She said the original rep that entered the 4 month free credit, did enter it into the system on September 23rd, but she didn't enter WHEN the credit was suppose to actually begin. So, basically it just fell out of the system. She said she entered it again, for the credit to take affect asap, and that I would receive a statement in the mail confirming that my last 4 months paid service would be credited back to the account. I assume that they will just hold off billing me for the next 4 months, I could barely make out what she was saying, since I had to go through a rep in India first to get transferred back to retentions here in the states, so the connection was very bad. Hopefully it has been taken care of this time. I will update again sometime in the next 30 days to confirm if the credit went through as the rep promised.

10/24/08: Received phone bill in the mail today. Apparently Verizon Online credited the $39.99 back to my account on the same day that the paper bill cycled and was mailed out to me, just barely making it on the bill at the very last minute. Good thing I called on the 20th or I would have had to wait another month for the credit. So, I did get at least one month free, but I am not holding my breath that they will credit me for the other three. I will update in mid/late November when my next bill cycles.

11/20/08: Received latest phone bill by e-mail this morning. Verizon charged me the full $39.99 this month. So much for receiving a credit for the other 3 months. Unless they do what they did last month and apply the credit literally at the last minute before the paper bill mails out to me. I will update when I receive that bill by snail mail to let you guys know if that is what happened. At this point however, I am so frustrated dealing with them every month for the credits that I am just going to be thankful that I got at least one month free credit for the 14 days I was without service. I never did receive that so called statement in the mail, confirming the 4 months of credits.

11/25/08: Received latest phone bill by snail mail this morning. Sure enough, they charged me the full rate of $39.99 this month. So, apparently one month of credit is all I am going to see. I've decided to let it drop, its not worth the hassle of dealing with retentions yet again.

03/25/09: After not hearing anything more about my so called 4 month credit, my bill that I received today in the mail showed a credit of $171.96. Apparently I am going to get the 4 month credit after all, 4 billing cycles later. I must say I was VERY surprised after not hearing anything back from them since last November. After contacting billing, the rep said I was given a credit of $171.96 to cover 4 months of service at $42.99 a month. However I WAS paying $39.99 a month with a 1 year contract, which they were taking $3.00 off on the regular $42.99 a month, so I am not sure where the extra $3 dollars suddenly came from. I also noticed that they quietly extended my contract from September to December 2009. After the pure hell on earth that I went through last fall I will just let this slide, since by the time I fight them to get them to put it back the way that it was originally before applying the 4 month credit, my contract would have expired by the time it was all worked out. This company never ceases to amaze me.

07/31/09: I contacted Verizon Business Office today, after seeing on the portal that I was eligible for a bundle discount, by combining my POTS and DSL on one bill. Apparently I can get both Freedom Essentials and 7.1 DSL for $79.99 a month, which is called Verizon Double Freedom. I am paying $45.99 a month now for Essentials and $42.99 for DSL, so this would save me $8.99 a month off of my bill. The best part about this, is that the rep that I spoke with said I would be able to come off my 1 year contract, and would be placed on a month to month on the DSL portion. I can lock this price in for the next 12 months with no ETF if I drop the bundle. I would just go back to my previous billing. I took them up on their offer, so I guess I will see what happens to the billing when I get my next bill in late August.

08/21/09: I checked my online billing today. The paper bill went out a few days ago, which hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to view on the DSL side at verizon.net what Verizon Online was going to submit to the POTS billing as my current billing cycle before the $79.99 Double Freedom bundle reset it. Apparently I was taken off the $39.99 a month DSL billing. They reset my DSL billing by taking me off of my old billing agreement and entered me into a month to month agreement. They treated it as a new customer agreement, and basically reset my billing in January of this year under the promo that was running at that time for the 7.1 tier for new customer signups. The first 4 months are free and then it bills at $42.99 a month. I was placed on a month to month billing, which would run through December. Then the regular price would be $52.99 month to month with POTS. Of course this is all moot now since it will be reset yet again under the $79.99 Double Freedom promo that I recently signed up for. I then went to their main verizon.net signup page to find out exactly what they charge for the 7.1 tier at the full price month to month, with and without POTS. The current billing info for the 7.1 tier list it at $62.99 month to month dry,$52.99 month to month with POTS, $39.99 with a 1 year contract and POTS or $37.99 with a 2 year contract and POTS. No wonder they can't seem to keep the billing straight, they have so many different billing scenario's, there's no telling what you may end up with at the end of the day.

08/25/09: I received my bill in the mail today, and I was billed correctly under the Double Freedom bundle at $79.99 plus $12.01 in taxes and fees, for a total of $92. You gotta love unfees! I can't believe they actually got it right this time on the very first try. Go Figure!

01/04/10: Connection has been rock solid since August 2009, with the exception of a couple of minor outages that each lasted for maybe 3-4 hours. Bottom line is this, obviously there is very poor communications between the different departments at Verizon, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and that is unacceptable with a telecommunications company. Usually when you want to give a company more business, they don't require that you jump through hoops to do so. As long as everything is running smoothly, and you never have to contact them for any reason, they are great. If something goes wrong however, you will quickly learn that their outsourced support is unable to handle even minor issues.

09/18/10: Connection reliability has started to slip recently. I could count on one hand how many times it had gone down over the past two years. Since this past April there has been a total of 7 outages. Some of them lasting for more than 24 hours. Three outages in August alone. This is very unusual for Verizon. I hope this is not a preview of what is to come. I've recently read numerous comments by DSLR users of reliability issues in several states in their footprint. Verizon has gone as far as to sell off large chunks of their "less profitable" markets. I have serious doubts that my area here in rural Maryland will ever see FIOS. We may even be the next market to be sold off to the highest bidder. If that happens I am sure our reliability issues will only get worse.

Recently when my current double play bundle I had with them (phone/dsl) expired I called them to sign up for another 1 year bundle deal. That experience was pure hell on earth. Not only did they not give me the agreed bundle deal of $64.99 a month on my next bill as they agreed to do, they also signed me up without my knowledge or permission for their internet security suite, insurance on my computer,dedicated 24/7 expert care technical support, and Verizon On Demand Games.

I was outraged. I immediately called them back and had to literally get into a verbal fight with this very arrogant customer support rep in the telephone support dept. That was horrible. My blood pressure had to have been through the roof. This woman all but called me a bare faced liar about not signing up for those services. I told her I would have NEVER asked for those services, as I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable person when it comes to computers. I did not need or want expert care as I am able to do my own trouble shooting, I don't need the on site repair service and insurance on my desktop or laptop, I rarely play online games, and I already have an excellent virus/adware/malware setup that I am very happy with.

Well, she cancels all of those services and also put me on that $64.99 bundle special I was already suppose to be under nearly 6 weeks ago. Well, I get my bill in the mail about three weeks later, and sure enough no bundle deal, and to add insult to injury I was billed a $59.99 early termination fee for cancelling the expert care tech support that I had never asked for in the first place. I called them back again on 8/20/10 and demanded to speak with a supervisor after speaking to yet another very rude service rep, who didn't even apologize for what I was going through, and had the nerve to try to upsell me on DirecTV. I told her that I live in a large apt. complex that does not allow a dish to be installed because there is no ideal way to install them on the side of the building. This woman had enough nerve to say, well sir that doesn't sound truthful to me because the laws were changed to allow apartment dwellers to install a dish. Unreal that these people are allowed to talk to loyal customers in this manner, especially those who pay their bills on time every month.

I told her I don't care if you don't believe me, I do not want DirecTV right now even if it were an option at my current address because I already have digital cable with a local provider, and I may be moving within the next 12 months, and it would require a 2 year commitment on my part for the DirecTV service. So, after telling her this and asking to be put on the $64.99 Double Play bundle deal (for the 3rd time) I then asked her again for a second time to please transfer me to your supervisor she finally agrees. I was then placed on hold for nearly 35 minutes before I reached a supervisor.

This supervisor quickly transfers me to India support because he doesn't deal with DSL issues, only phone. I spent the next 45 minutes holding for a rep in India. I then had to explain to this rep in India, because none of the previous reps had bothered to place any notes whatsoever on my account of what was going on, so I had to start all over again from the beginning.

That was going nowhere and after spending 10 minutes explaining to her what had happened, she too said why did you ask for services you did not want? I said, in a raised voice, I did NOT ask for ANY of those services ,and only after threatening to cancel all of my services did she finally agree to credit my account for the $59.99. I will have to wait until late September when my next bill cycles to see if she actually applied the credit, but after my last ordeal with billing I am not holding my breath. I am NOT a happy camper right now.

10/12/10: I was finally credited for the $59.99 early termination fee. I also recently placed an order online through their web-site to upgrade my DSL from my current 7.1/768 to 15/1. Their fastest tier available. My service ready date was September 15th, but they actually did the upgrade a day early on the 14th. I must say I was very surprised after what I dealt with recently. However, because of my distance from the central office I was provisioned for 10/1 Mbps for $39.99 a month with a one year contract and POTS and a $150 ETF. I am crossing my fingers that the billing will also be as smooth as the upgrade. I'll update my review after my bill arrives.

10/26/10: Verizon actually billed me correctly after the recent upgrade. I just hope it's smooth sailing from here.

01/26/11: No new service or billing issues to report. So far so good.

03/23/11: I've had the 10-15 Mbps plan since September 2010 and before that I had 7 Mbps since 2008. I never had a hiccup with the 10-15 Mbps plan in the six months since ordering it. I had my POTS and DSL bundled together but now that I have a unlimited voice plan with my cellular provider I found that I almost never use my landline to make voice calls.

I placed an order with Verizon on March 17th to go dry loop on the DSL at the same speed package 10-15 Mbps. That order completed on March 21st. Everything was fine for the next 48 hours until I woke up this morning and noticed pages were now loading much slower. So I pulled up my stats and my speed has been downgraded to 3 Mbps from 10 Mbps.

I am now being told by the drones in India that my line is only capable of a maximum of 3 Mbps. After bringing to their attention that I had 10 Mbps since September 2010, and 7 Mbps for two years prior to that, so how is this possible? They draw a blank.

I have a feeling if I called them tomorrow and placed an order for POTS I would suddenly and inexplicably discover that my line is capable of getting the 10 Mbps plan again. My only other option for broadband at my location is Charter Communications which is a whole other can of worms, and AT&T 3G for $60 a month with a 5 GB monthly limit. So Verizon knows my options are limited.

03/24/11: I just got off the phone with them. That was fun! It's bad enough trying to get this resolved then on top of it there is the language barrier. Well, after having them escalate it to a supervisor here in the states, he said the reason I was bumped back from 10 to the 3 Mbit plan is because when you go dry loop the max speed you can get in Maryland is 3 Mbps. Anything above that has to be bundled with POTS. It would have been nice if the rep who took my order on the 17th had explained this to me. It would have saved me three hours on the phone yesterday, and another 90 minutes today. So, I guess I have to live with 3 Mbits for the time being. I will miss having 10, but not at $90 a month. I will have to pay $39.99 dry loop for the 3 Mbit plan with a 12 month commitment.

03/25/11: I pulled up the website just now and for the 7 Mbps and 15 Mbps plans they have a notice saying those two speed packages are not available at my location dry loop. If I check off with POTS I can suddenly order those tiers again. Pretty lousy business practices if you ask me. They would be getting an additional $20 a month from me if they allowed me to order the 10-15 Mbps plan dry loop. It's like I'm being punished for dropping voice services.

04/20/11: I called Verizon today to cancel my DSL service. My 3 Mbps service was dropped back to 1.5 Mbps on April 18th after being hit by their so called optimization service. I called customer support and spoke with no fewer than five different reps, and two supervisors, explaining to them that I am only 6,400 feet from my central office and just recently had 10 Mbps on my line until I went dry loop and had it bumped back to 3 against my wishes, so if my line can handle 10 it can certainly handle 3. Well that went no where fast.

They just kept spewing the same scripted BS, it's well within the 1.5-3 mbps range. I then said you know what, I'm done. Transfer me to the department that takes disconnect orders. I was given a retention offer by the disconnect department for 3 mbps for $24.99 a month, which is actually an excellent offer, but I told them why should I even waste my time, if you will only give me 1.5 Mbps? You've already bumped me back twice. So why should I give you guys a third chance? I politely declined the offer. So that ends my 7 year relationship with Verizon DSL.

I will start checking into resellers in this area in the coming week. I hear DSL Extreme is one option. In the meantime I am stuck with using my AT&T 3G service at home via my tethering plan. With that being capped at 5 GB per month I won't be doing much more than basic browsing until I can place an order for DSL service with a reseller. I will update how that goes at a later date.

04/22/11: It looks like I shot myself in the foot by cancelling service. A Verizon supervisor called me yesterday afternoon because he said he wanted to know why I cancelled my service. I told him what has been going on. I told him if he can get me set back up with what I wanted originally the 10-15 plan that I would consider coming back. Long story short, after checking a few things he came back on the line and said, sir I am sorry to tell you this but it appears that your central office is oversold and there is no available circuit.

Great, if I had known this was the reason why my line was being constantly re-provisioned at a lower sync rate I would have kept my service active long enough to switch to a reseller, but now that I am no longer active in the central office even that isn't an option. So now I am stuck with AT&T 3G for the foreseeable future. My only other option for broadband at my location is Verizon Wireless also with a 5 GB cap or satellite.

06/20/11: I was contacted by Verizon today that an opening in my central office had become available. Finally some good news. So I immediately cancelled my wireless service at $80 a month for 5 lousy GB's. Except one problem. There was no opening at my central office! Needless to say I was not a happy camper. So I demanded a supervisor in the US and much to my surprise he actually called me back an hour later. He apologized and said he would call the dispatch dept. for my local area and over ride the block since I was told there was an opening. They had me up and running 72 hours later on the 23rd. The only real complaint I have is that they provisioned my line for 1.5 Mbits on the 3 Mbit plan. I am only six blocks from the central office and I use to have the 15 Mbit plan just two months ago. They also are billing me $44.99 a month with no contract dry loop. That is absurd for the speed I am getting but at least there is no cap (for now).

06/24/11: I called support today and asked why I was only getting 1.5 Mbits on a 3Mbit plan when I am less than 6,500 feet from the central office. They just kept saying that I was within an acceptable speed range. I asked for a supervisor and explained to him that I had the 15 Mbit plan just this past April but now that the central office is full techs are apparently not provisioning for anything faster than 3. He confirmed this but said I should be getting the 3 because of my distance from the CO. He placed an order to change my speed and an hour later after a recycle of the modem I was now up to the full 3 Mbits. I am very surprised it went so smoothly. As anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with support at Verizon knows, getting anything accomplished with them is an exercise in futility. Now, after my first bill comes in the mail I will see what I can do to knock that price down a bit. At least see if I can come off a month to month plan to get it a little cheaper.

06/27/11: Apparently I was hit by their optimization software this morning. My sync dropped from 3360/864 to 2526/864. I know calling is a waste of time since they changed their TOS so you have to agree to having your line probed by their software on a regular basis in order to continue to receive service.

06/28/11: I was hit again this morning. My sync is now 2942/864. Still not the full sync rate but getting closer. I guess they are probing the line daily now and not monthly.

06/29/11: Hit again. Sync is now back down to 2526/864.

06/30/11: I was hit again this morning, but finally was put back to the full 3360/864 sync rate. I wonder how long it will last.

07/01/11: I was contacted today by a Verizon support rep after he saw my post in the Verizon direct forum. He said he would take the optimization off my line.

07/02/11: I'm now off of the optimization and he also said he put me on Fastpath. My latency improved dramatically from 24 ms to 8 ms. Thanks Verizon direct. Now that is service!

07/21/11: I contacted billing today to see if I could get the price down a bit and they refused to lower the price from $44.99 unless I bundle it with POTS. They would give me the Regional Essentials with the 3 Mbit plan for $44.99, which is what I am currently paying for dry loop, but after you add in the taxes and fees on the POTS side I would be paying around $55 so I will stick with dry loop for the time being.

10/23/11: I logged into my account today to pay my latest bill and Verizon offered me Freedom Essentials with High Speed Internet Enhanced (3 Mbps) for $44.99 a month. It just made economical sense to take them up on their offer, considering I am paying that for dry loop. I will essentially be getting an unlimited voice line for $10 more a month ($55 after taxes and fees). I was up and running just a few hours after placing the order online. I just hope the billing is as smooth.

11/23/11: The billing was anything but smooth. Verizon did not give me Freedom Essentials but Regional Essentials, and then billed me for all calls outside my regional area. When I called them to bring this error to their attention (after a 45 minute hold) they admitted that something went wrong in their billing system. She said it would cost me $59.99 a month if I wanted that Freedom Essentials package with DSL.

I declined and said just disconnect my voice service and I will go back to dry loop. She said please hold sir, and came back to the line nearly 10 minutes later and said I can credit your account for the calls you should not had been billed for and we can put you under our Regional Essentials with 3 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month. I accepted the offer, only because making any major changes to my services would probably make it that much worse. I will update when the new bill arrives.

12/23/11: Received latest bill and it's still incorrect. This time I was billed separately for voice and DSL instead of a bundle price. It was broken down at $34.99 for Regional Essentials and $31.99 for DSL. The total with taxes and fees was $80. I contacted billing and they have no explanation of what is going on with my account.

Since I rarely use the landline for making calls, and only have it for a backup in an emergency, I told them just take the voice line down to the bare bones measured rate service with no calling features, which I was told would be $5.92 plus taxes and fees. I was told I could still get the DSL at the rate of $31.99. I'll update in late January when the next bill arrives.

01/24/12: Received bill today and the billing was finally correct. The taxes and fees on the voice side were nearly twice the cost of the measured rate service but at least it's correct. The total for both services with taxes and fees was $50. I was paying $44.99 before all of this mess just for dry loop DSL, so getting a landline for emergencies for $5 more than my dry loop price is worth the added peace of mind.

10/30/2013: Nothing major to report. Connection has been rock solid with the exception of a few short outages lasting no more than an hour.

04/17/2014: I received an email today from Verizon that my DSL will be increasing from $31.99 to $36.99. It's obvious that Verizon is hoping their POTS/DSL customers will just go away, so they can focus on wireless. Charter keeps sending me a promo special mailing that I can get service with them for $29.99 a month for the first 12 months if I bundle with TV. Since I am forced to take a voice line with Verizon, in order to get DSL, $55 a month is just too much for 3 Mbps.

04/24/2014: I made the switch to Charter. I've decided to keep my service with Verizon for the time being, so I can see how reliable Charter service is, before I decide to drop my line with Verizon. Since my central office is full, once you drop Verizon, you can't get DSL back, so I want to make sure I make a wise decision before doing that.

09/02/14: Service with Charter was horrid, so I decided to drop them and stick with Verizon.

09/09/14: I have been noticing severe speed drops during the evening hours. I almost always get 2.8 Mbps before 5 pm. But from about 5 pm - 11 pm, results are all over the place. This is expected with cable internet, but I've never had this problem before this past July with DSL. My stats don't change, latency is normal, but my download speeds drop sometimes below 1 Mbps. Upload speeds are normal at all times. Then after 11 pm, things go back to normal with the download speed. Calls to tech support were a waste of time.

10/02/14: I received a promotional email today offering Regional Essentials bundled with 15 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month for 12 months. Of course being capped at 3 Mbps for nearly four years I was surprised to say the least, but am not getting my hopes up. With Verizon anything is possible. My service ready date is set for October 7th. I'll update again after the order is processed.

10/07/14: I came home at 6 pm and noticed I was still at 3/768. I reset the modem and when it synced back up it shows I am provisioned at 10/1. However, after doing several speed tests at multiple sites, my results are all over the place from as a low as 1 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I was averaging 9.5 Mbps when I had this tier on this same line back in 2010 before they capped me at 3 Mbps, and I never had issues with speed drops during the evening hours. Not surprising considering Verizon is neglecting their copper plant.

10/08/14: My speed improved dramatically after Midnight. I'm now averaging just over 10 Mbps. Obviously there isn't a problem with my line since it seems to only happen during peak hours. Verizon is obviously having issues with congestion. This was the reason I left Charter. I'm going to have to live with it. I don't have any other options for fixed line broadband.

10/08/14: My speed dropped again this evening. I am now getting 2.2 Mbps in speed test results. Like clockwork, after 5 pm, I see a dramatic drop in speed. I patched into my router via ethernet to rule out any issues with wireless, and am seeing the same results.

10/09/14: Shortly after 12 am and my speed is now back at 10 Mbps. I guess these speed drops in the evening are going to be the norm from here on out with Verizon.

10/14/14: I'm still seeing congestion issues but they are happening throughout the day now as well. Not just in the evening hours. They are much worse after 5 pm though. Speeds are also very inconsistent. During a speed test, instead of being at a near constant 9.5 Mbps, it will spike wildly from as low as 4.5 to as high as 9.5, then settle somewhere around 8.

10/16/14: I had a tech here at BBR check my DSLAM and he said it's clearly congestion from being on an oversold CO and not anything physical with my line. I'm in the process of trying to have someone at Verizon move my line to another DSLAM in the same central office that the rep here at the site said isn't as congested. But cannot get past their tier 1 reps in India. This is going to be a real chore on my behalf.

member for 11.9 years, 2205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Customer service is hideous!!!

I've never seen anything like it!!! You have to follow up on every single request or ELSE!!! I've just had FIOS installed all I can say is UGGGHHH.

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Cost of Verizon?

Since I'm in Ma Bell's area (AT&T), how much does Verizon charge for POTS and DSL? I wonder if they charge less than $60 because Ma Bell charges me $81 just for 6mbps internet and POTS service

Re: Cost of Verizon?

$44.99 is the advertised promotion right now for 3mbit to 15mbit DSL (best effort) + Regional Calling only in VA with a 2 year contract.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

They just recently started offering this promo to me here in MD, so I took advantage of it. Interestingly until now, they've had my line capped at 3 Mbps since early 2011 and wouldn't allow me to order anything faster, until this past week. The site suddenly allowed me to order the 7.1-15 Mbps tier. I was provisioned at 10/1 due to my distance.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Please report back if there are any congestion issues. Going by your recent review updates VZ is not doing too well.

Perhaps VZ found an excuse to finally install more backhaul or another DSLAM? (a miracle) Or they just gave up and now pretend to offer higher speeds with no backing for it.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

It appears they brought in more backhaul to the tower for LTE. I saw some Verizon vans in the area of the CO late last month which is next door to the cell tower in town. Most likely because more people are upgrading to LTE data plans. I assume they finally lifted their cap on DSL at 3 Mbps. My neighbor in my same apartment building said he was also able to put through an order for 10 Mbps yesterday, which hadn't allowed him since he moved here four years ago, and he also was stuck on 3 Mbps.

·Charter
I'm still having congestion issues. My speed has been hovering around 2 Mbps this entire evening since about 5 pm. Then shortly after midnight it picked up again, and now I'm getting 9.7 Mbps. It's almost like it's automated at scaling back speeds between 5 pm - midnight, because like clock work around 12:00-12:05 am, it picks up and it will stay at my full rate until 5 pm the next evening. Then I'm stuck with 2-2.5 Mbps again until midnight.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Do you know if the Comcast takeover of the broken Charter system in your area is going to happen for sure or not?

Have you considered T-Mobile wireless data, at least as a backup? They have strong HSDPA signal and possibly LTE in your town apparently. On an old AT&T iPhone 4 which only supports a little bit of the T-Mob network I can generally pull 5mbit down, 2 up with low pings (60-100) which is pretty great for 3G. If T-Mobile has LTE in your town, that will kill the rather laggard DSL and Cable competition - speeds ranging from 20mbit to 35mbit, with low pings.

Its worth a try, pick up a cheap LTE supported Android device to use for tethering, and test it out. No contract. Even though Tethering is not supported for unlimited (its capped at like 4gb) apps can get around that...

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Still no word on the Comcast takeover here. The last article I saw about it in the local paper was back in August, and it was still in the pending phase. I'm not so sure that's a done deal. It's been held up by the FCC for more input from consumer groups and states.

I have 3G for a backup on my cell which acts as as hotspot. I don't use it unless I'm out and about or if my DSL line goes down. My Verizon line rarely goes down, it's just slow during the evening. It's frustrating because I waited 4 years for Verizon to lift the cap at 3 Mbps, and when they do, now they have a problem with congestion, making getting 10 Mbps pointless since I rarely get above 3 Mbps from 5 pm - midnight.

I had Tim_K look into it for me and he said I'm on a congested line and that my DSLAM has been oversold. He said the only thing I can do is try to get someone at Verizon to move my line to a less congested one, if there even is one to put me on, or hope Verizon upgrades my DSLAM. I think we all know that Verizon isn't about to spend a red cent on upgrading their copper plant.

·Charter
I'm paying $36.99 for 3 Mbps (my line will support 10 Mbps but they capped my central office at 3 Mbps because the CO is full), and another $5.92 for voice which I'm required to take. I only have the minimum voice service. Basically dial tone service and all local outgoing calls are .10 cents each. I never use it. I don't even have a phone hooked up to the line. By the time they add the absurd fees and taxes to the voice service that $5.92 becomes $18.01. For a total of $55 a month.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

That is just embarrassing for Verizon to have a CO that cant handle the load of customers. They earn billions and do nothing.

Its just like their 4 CO's nearby me with no broadband of any sort.

They get too much credit for FIOS.

4 edits

Re: Cost of Verizon?

I totally agree. They just don't care about landline/DSL anymore. They want to focus on wireless where they are making record profits. I actually had 10 Mbps for over a year. Until my promo expired so I called in to scale back my voice service to the minimum.

So they used that opportunity to drop my line back to 3 Mbps. Even though the rep I spoke to said I would keep 10 Mbps. I spent the next several months speaking to at least 30 reps and 10 supervisors all to no avail. All I did was waste several months of my time.

They kept me at 3 Mbps and to add insult to injury, still had the nerve to charge me the same $36.99 a month for 3 Mbps that I was paying for 10 Mbps. Apparently that's what 25 years of loyal service as a customer gets you with the new Verizon.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Upload speed for DSL in 2014 should be a minimum of 1Mbps unless it is Annex M which should be close to 3.5Mbps. Sorry for your stone age DSL service. And to think it was supposed to be superior to cable.

Where is SDSL, VDSL, IDSL (Distance), Annex M, and bonded DSL? America is in a sad state of broadband. I still cannot believe Romania's slowest package is faster and cheaper than any American package.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Verizon is cheap. They still have ADSL1 DSLAM's around which is rather horrifying. A lot of these were in the footprint dumped off on Frontier.

Rather than upgrade DSLAM's or deploy FIOS, they sell LTE as the solution. Its more the solution for their money pile.

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: North Tonawanda,Niagara,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Consistent Speeds, low latency, great uptime"
Bad "Support can be a bit of trouble when a problem is with the line, or is an unusual issue."
Overall "It's a good service to use overall, but keep in mind it is DSL."

·Frontier Communi..
I subscribe to 5Mbps/768kbps at the current time and run with a FastPath profile. The Verizon backbone has been seeing some issues as of late with other transit providers. While I'm sure this is not a Verizon issue, it's bothersome when trying to stream video or play games over the connection. I just hope things are improved soon, especially before Winter.

Overall, the DSL service has been reliable. I've had a few outages over the past 9 years, two of which were PPPoE outages, and two of which were due to fiber cuts affecting the remote terminal I feed out of. If you're fortunate enough to get a speed higher than 3Mbps, the service does have a snappy feeling to it. If you're unfortunately stuck in an area that is limited to 3Mbps or less, the service does start to feel antiquated and slow. Minus the note I have above about the backbone and peering issues that have been plaguing both DSL and FiOS, the service works as expected. I get my speeds consistently, day and night, games work well, and 1080p HD Streaming (Netflix, YouTube, etc) is possible with the level of service I am receiving. That's about all that is to this review. It just works.

Besides the connection itself, most of the problems I have run into were administrative issues on Verizon's end. While I have yet to run into billing issues, I have come across plenty of technical issues which Verizon has fallen short on resolving in some cases. A prime example is a problem which I'm continuing to troubleshoot as of this review. Since late July, after a heavy thunderstorm crashed through the area, my DSL connection has been plagued with an intermittent "Sync-no-surf" issue. In essence, the modem shows it is synchronized and my router is holding a PPPoE session, but I have a heavy amount of packet loss on the connection. The modem shows a high level of noise when this happens. During troubleshooting, I supplied all of the troubleshooting information I have produced to Verizon, indicating I have tried different supported modems which work, checked Transceiver Statistics and landline voice quality, and have inspected all wiring inside of my home and in the NID. I even provided information on problems even my neighbors started to have with their services after that storm.

When troubleshooting began, Verizon's automated testing began to cause provisioning issues on my connection. Since I am on a Litespan remote and happen to be getting 5M service, I am also tied into a Juniper edge router. For me to have properly working service, the provisioning had to be set up a certain way. The automated system, against my warnings to Verizon, went through and made changes which resulted in the line being nearly unusable. A video of how unusable the service was, is posted below. In addition, my speed was also turned way down, with the belief that the problem was due to my speed being set too high. Unfortunately, I also told them this was not the problem, and got the speed turned right back up the next day. Lastly, I was sent a new modem, an ActionTec GT784WNV, which despite being a good piece of hardware, suffers from firmware issues which promptly caused me to retire the modem into storage. Two primary functions of the router, the DHCP Daemon and the WLAN daemon, were found memory leaking despite all efforts to resolve the leaking issue, and this as a result caused the gateway to crash and reboot anywhere from 12 hours, to five days later.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-I4AGZO1Zc

For now, troubleshooting continues on the line. I've managed to get my provisioning reset to where it was last was before the support started after taking that problem away from support's hands and into my hands (took me 10 minutes vs support's 4 days), and Verizon has started sending line technicians out to check the line after much insistence and scolding. Some improvements of my line have come out of these visits, and I feel support is now on the right track, but I am bummed out that I had to do a lot of educating/explaining as to why XYZ process is not proper troubleshooting, from the perspective of a SysAdmin/NetAdmin to a telephone company/ISP. I am also a bit bummed that I had to be the one to coordinate some of the fixes, that otherwise, didn't need the customer's help besides feedback as to whether or not the problem is solved. In the past, I certainly don't remember support being this bad, where I've thrown other oddball issues at them and have gotten results in hours. That's why I'm not completely docking the support rating in this review, but it is something Verizon should work to improve on.

But support issues aside, the Verizon DSL service has been working fine, and I hope it continues this way. I am looking forward to getting the FiOS, or another Fiber service when that becomes available.

member for 6.7 years, 3797 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NJank See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "In a bundle with phoneline, it's what I need for a low cost"
Bad "line issues (slow, dead, etc) once a year or so, and then very pushy sales for FIOS until they 'fix' it."
Overall "best option for the dollar, if you don't mind them bugging you about fios every time you talk to them."

Have had the lowest tier DSL for about 10 years. Not a heavy net user, and it more than does the job. Started out when it was the "$15/month 768/128 DSL" they gradually upped it to 1/0.5 over the years. Recently reordered in a bundle with Regional Essentials plan, so now it's $40 for both DSL and landline. Was on a stardard Westell 6100 for years.

They rolled FIOS out here about 3-5 years ago. Since then, I've had reps at my door and on the phone. None blatantly lying about need to upgrade, but they were close. Have had issues with the line connectivity on and off over about the same timeline. Twice was able to solve with the Verizon support here at DSLReports. Both time, it was a 'configuration issue at the office'. Both times, had techs out tell me how they're not sure they can fix it, that "old copper's going bad", but if I switched to fiber all would be well. Waited it out, sure enough they fixed the problem.

When things work, they're fine. Right now, I've been getting intermittent 600-2000ms pings. guess it's time for a call...

Comments:

Review by Bigbluis See Profile

• Location: Hemet,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good speed, when it goes down, is restored quickly with no call to support."
Bad "nothing really bad to report"
Overall "Service has improved since I last had it 5 years ago."

Ordered online 1 week before moving in. Install process went smoothly, 1 day after moving in. Ordered enhanced service, 3.1-7 Mbps, and mostly get that speed. Adequate for all my devices (desktop computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone, wireless printer). Only problem is speed not always fast enough for on-demand streaming to tv satellite box. Most of the time the speed is adequate, usually get 2.2 - 3.5 Mbps down.

Comments:

Review by wiggie116 See Profile

• Location: Pittsfield,Berkshire,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Works well once all the bugs are worked out."
Bad "Hard to speak with someone in the States (by phone). took over a month to get congestion issues fixed "
Overall "Was a decent value until price increase. Its very dependable now, always get the same 6.50-6.8 downs and .76 up. "

Decent service. Overall a B+ hopping for an RT upgrade to ADSL2+ which I'm told is in the process now by the construction crew down the road... They have been pulling/replacing new fiber underground through the man hole covers for the last 3 weeks. its not fios unfortunately . They need a video head first, according to VZ techs

Edit: $61.00 is for phone and internet.

Edit: 8-18-2014

I called into BIG RED about my bill increasing to $61.0 after taxes, surprisingly they agreed to my original price of 45.99 with HSI enhanced (3.1-7 M/Bits per second) and regional calling. Connections is still very reliable. Internets only been down when my power goes out. I am increasing my rating thanks to my connection, reliability, and my last few phone calls with customer service.

member for 353 days, 375 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by inxane See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it works, it works well, good value too."
Bad "When it doesn't work, calling them is useless, use bbr/dslr to get things worked out"
Overall "Support is okay if you know where to look, connection is up for most of the year"

I considered Comcast, but all my friends all had horror stories about the support.

I ordered the 1.5/386 initially, and upgraded to the 3/768 plan.

The order and install process went without a hitch.

The supplied equipment was a westell 327w, which failed a few years after installation.

The only bad experience I had was a constant unsync, that Verizon blamed on squirrels. Ya I'm nuts!

EDIT: 8 Years in and service has been more or less stable over that time. on the 15/768 plan in 2014 and a new modem to solve some connectivity issues. Overall happy with the service.

Comments:

Review by therube See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good Price. Good Speed. Works."
Bad "None."
Overall "Works. Reliable. Inexpensive."

Small business.

Simple needs. Simply something faster then dialup.

Actually ordered the service via Dell "Internet".

Price is right, $30. (A bit less actually cause it is tied in with Verizon Freedom For Business that we have on one of our lines).

Install kit came with a Westell wireless modem/router. It was one of the "bad" Westell's, though there have been no problems with it. We don't use wireless.

Service was active prior to the "service ready" date.

Speeds, 1.5/384 are alway consistant, & are sufficient for our needs.

Dynamic IP. PPPoE. I had no need to set anything up here in my office, cause I simply entered my existing UN/PW that I use at home (Verizon DSL also) into the router.

Have had no need for "customer service". Have had no problems.

It just plain works, works reliably, & is priced competitively.

---

Don't know when the above was posted other then long ago, but this is today: 08/14/2014.

Anyhow, & as I'm sure with all types of service, when it works, it works & is fine.
When it doesn't, customer "service" or "support" sucks.
They may or may not get it right. Or maybe eventually.

And that's about the way things have panned out.
We could go for months with no issues & then one day we'll have continual drops. And you call, & at the moment you call, so "all is OK". But then 2 minutes later it drops & so you call again. And they come out & do this or that. Or the make a change in the CO. And maybe they get it. Or maybe they'll have to come out again & again & finally get it.

And that's the way it has always been.

Periods when it just works, & then a day here, a day there where it goes to pot.
Lines, CO, modem/router changes. Yet at the end of the day, overall it makes no difference. Either it works or it doesn't. And no one "thing" fixes everything & there is no permanent fix. Only that it works... until the next time.

Overall though, no problems, considering.

And again, my feeling is regardless of the service type or from whom, everyone see's the same.
When it works it works & when it doesn't, "service" & "support" suck.

Speed, 1.5 - 3 Mbps, depending, has always been "adequate" for our needs. Last time tech had been out, he says, "oh, you really need to get FIOS". So we inquire about it - not a particularly easy task, but eventually they tell us it is available. So, price? And at the same time, we call Comcast for their pricing (both would be for Telephone & Internet).

And guess what.
Comcast comes in with better pricing & a better package. FIOS essentially comes in with faster speed, but no other benefits - like unlimited calling & long distance include. So after 40 years with (C & P, Bell Atlantic) Verizon, we said goodbye & now have Comcast.

And after of few days of Comcast service... all of a sudden, I'm not loading websites. And someone else says the phone lines aren't working. But it righted itself in a manner of minutes. Totally expected. Or at least I'd expect such things. (Others did not.) And Comcast got the billing wrong, of course. So had to call & get that straightened out. (Time will tell about that?)

When it works it works & when it doesn't. I don't expect more, or less.

Comments:

Review by onDvine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "The connection has been reliable"
Bad "Occasionally the modem needs to be powered off and on again"
Overall "We're satisfied with it"

We switched from Time Warner Cable's (formerly Comcast) broadband to Verizon DSL 5+ years ago because it was less expensive and friends used/recommended. There was no noticeable decrease in speed.

member for 9.7 years, 4146 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by larry2617 See Profile

• Location: Hardy,Franklin,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "steady reliable service"
Bad "tech support needs work"
Overall "good reliable service for the money"

wish they would get better speeds but shouldn't complain had dial-up until 2 years ago.they are the only ones that provide service to this area besides dial-up/satellite service.

still cannot get upgraded to faster speed everyone i talk to about it (including dsl reports) just states that faster speed isn't available no reason why.read on forums that my numbers should qualify for 3.0 and to call verizon dsl and request upgrade they say it is not available but no reason for it

Still no upgrades numbers from modem say less than 12000 ft verizon says more than 17500 ft cannot get them to upgrade their numbers database so I have basically given up on new speeds until something better comes along still beats dial-up.Update Finally got up to 3.0 about 10 months ago seems to be steady now.wish someone would come along with something better

Comments:

Review by raster44 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,Niagara,NY
Good "always connected, two outages in 12 years,"
Bad " need faster connection + Fios?"
Overall "Not bad, reliable"

go way back as I had to fight to get isdn connection and cost was ridiculous. Installers didn't know what they were doing and I had to provision with technician in Albany for a few hours.