Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by dataice See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Poor communication between departments. No one to hold accountable when service issues arise. Tech support is outsourced."
Overall "Okay, as long as everything runs smoothly, otherwise you'll be forced to deal with a poorly trained, outsourced tech support."

·Charter
08/14/08: I have had Verizon DSL since 2004 with hardly a hiccup in all that time. Well, that was about to change. I Called Verizon billing office on August 14th to order an upgrade from 3/768 to 7.1/768. The rep says there is no such speed for FIOS?!? Um, I'm not calling for FIOS, I am calling for DSL. So, I figured that I would wait a week and try again.

08/21/08: I Called them back today to give it another shot. The rep that I spoke with was obviously from India, as her accent was so strong that I could barely understand her. I explained to her that I currently have DSL 3/768 service and was interested in upgrading to 7.1/768. She checked her system, and said that it was available in my area with a 1 year contract and that voice service was also required for $39.99 a month, then $42.99 a month after the first year was up (after renewing with another 1 year contract), at least this rep knew what 7.1 DSL was. Fine, I said sign me up. She gave me a service ready date of August 26th, said I could continue to use my current Actiontec router/modem, and that I needed to be home.

08/26/08 OK, 08/26 comes and goes, no upgrade.

08/27/08 I called them back today on the 27th and opened a trouble ticket. The rep I spoke with said that the last rep that placed the order for me, didn't enter it properly, and it was never dispatched to a local field tech. Ok, fine set me up again please. The rep gave me a new service ready date of September 2nd, and asked me to be home as the tech "may" have to do what is called a home run (place a filter at the NID). I said ok.

09/02/08 I took the day off and guess what? another no show. Ok, now I was not a happy camper.

09/03/08 Called back the next day on September 3rd, that rep said the same thing the last one did, the order wasn't placed correctly. Ok, set me up again please. The rep did so, and gave me a service ready date for September 9th (what is up with ONLY giving me Tuesday's, don't the field techs work more than one day a week?), anyway I said fine, and stayed home all day on the 9th, guess what?

09/09/08 You guessed it, NO SHOW., BUT, he did go to my local central office, and he CUT OFF MY INTERNET COMPLETELY., ok now I had had it. Called back that same day, was told that a rep would come out on the 16th some time between 8 am - 12 Noon, now I was fuming.It was bad enough I was missing time from my duties by taking off all day, but now I had no internet at all. When asking why I was cut off he said they have to do that first in order to upgrade my line to the new 7.1. That sounded fishy so I demand a supervisor, he says no that is not normal and said it must have been a mis-communication (yeah, no s*it).

09/16/08 The 16th comes, again a no show.

09/17/08 Called them the next day on the 17th and demanded a supervisor, who could barely speak english. He apologized several times and said he was escalating my problem to a dept for supervisors, and that someone from that dept. would be calling me within the next 24-48 hours to set up an appt. They actually called that same evening, and they set me up with a new service ready date of September 18th. They asked if I could be home. I said yes, I would be.

09/18/08 September 18th comes, NO SHOW! Now I am truly livid, as I have missed five days of my duties and stayed at home for nothing AND with no internet. I came here to DSLR and found a toll-free number to Verizon Customer Advocacy group, but guess what? they don't help you with a Verizon DSL problem, only a problem with your landline service. So I was back to square one. I called the outsourced call center in India and demanded to speak with yet another supervisor. Apparently none of the former reps or supervisors added ANY notes to my account, so they would know this is an ongoing issue, so I had to explain my lack of customer service issue to him from the beginning, he said to wait for someone to call me back from the same escalations dept. Finally someone from the USA got involved this time around, and returned my call a few hours later. The agent I spoke with said he would handle it personally and that someone would come out on the 19th and that I needed to be home, OK.

09/19/08 19th comes and again another no-show, called (you know the deal by now) and was given a new date of September 22nd (great,another weekend with no internet) Not like I really have a choice in the matter, Ok, fine I will be home on the 22nd

09/22/08 FINALLY a field tech shows up on the 22nd, but , not to my residence but to my local central office instead (field tech told supervisor I didn't need to be home after all, no home run required), since I reside in an large apt. complex, and doing a home run in a multi-dwelling unit can be troublesome and very time consuming, so now I had missed 7 days for nothing. This tech finally gets me up and running with 7.1/768 speed. He stopped by my apt. before heading out of town, and asked me to pull up my stats on the gateway to make sure I was getting good numbers. He was satisfied with the transtats, so all was good. I asked him if he knew what in the world happened with my upgrade. He explained to me, that apparently the first field tech who was dispatched to my local central office, moved my line over to a different card in the rack at the DSLAM but he didn't provision it properly once he moved it over. At least that was the gist of it, since it was nearly 7pm and past his normal quitting time, and the man was tired, as I was as well. So I didn't ask him to go into great detail.

09/23/08 I called Verizon Online billing/sales dept. today to complain about what I had been through and how I was being treated as a paying customer, and the retentions dept said they would give me 4 free months of service for all of my trouble, and being without internet for 2 weeks. So, I will update when my next bill arrives and let you know how that went. But I am not holding my breath with the billing dept., especially after what I had just experienced.

10/17/08: Well, bill cycled online today, and guess what? Yep. No 4 month free credit!I was charged the full $39.99 for the service. It's to late to call today, since the retentions dept. is currently closed. I will try to contact them on Monday when they reopen.

10/20/08: Called retentions dept. today (was hung up on the first 2 times). Rep that I spoke with was very friendly and said she would handle this immediately. She said the original rep that entered the 4 month free credit, did enter it into the system on September 23rd, but she didn't enter WHEN the credit was suppose to actually begin. So, basically it just fell out of the system. She said she entered it again, for the credit to take affect asap, and that I would receive a statement in the mail confirming that my last 4 months paid service would be credited back to the account. I assume that they will just hold off billing me for the next 4 months, I could barely make out what she was saying, since I had to go through a rep in India first to get transferred back to retentions here in the states, so the connection was very bad. Hopefully it has been taken care of this time. I will update again sometime in the next 30 days to confirm if the credit went through as the rep promised.

10/24/08: Received phone bill in the mail today. Apparently Verizon Online credited the $39.99 back to my account on the same day that the paper bill cycled and was mailed out to me, just barely making it on the bill at the very last minute. Good thing I called on the 20th or I would have had to wait another month for the credit. So, I did get at least one month free, but I am not holding my breath that they will credit me for the other three. I will update in mid/late November when my next bill cycles.

11/20/08: Received latest phone bill by e-mail this morning. Verizon charged me the full $39.99 this month. So much for receiving a credit for the other 3 months. Unless they do what they did last month and apply the credit literally at the last minute before the paper bill mails out to me. I will update when I receive that bill by snail mail to let you guys know if that is what happened. At this point however, I am so frustrated dealing with them every month for the credits that I am just going to be thankful that I got at least one month free credit for the 14 days I was without service. I never did receive that so called statement in the mail, confirming the 4 months of credits.

11/25/08: Received latest phone bill by snail mail this morning. Sure enough, they charged me the full rate of $39.99 this month. So, apparently one month of credit is all I am going to see. I've decided to let it drop, its not worth the hassle of dealing with retentions yet again.

03/25/09: After not hearing anything more about my so called 4 month credit, my bill that I received today in the mail showed a credit of $171.96. Apparently I am going to get the 4 month credit after all, 4 billing cycles later. I must say I was VERY surprised after not hearing anything back from them since last November. After contacting billing, the rep said I was given a credit of $171.96 to cover 4 months of service at $42.99 a month. However I WAS paying $39.99 a month with a 1 year contract, which they were taking $3.00 off on the regular $42.99 a month, so I am not sure where the extra $3 dollars suddenly came from. I also noticed that they quietly extended my contract from September to December 2009. After the pure hell on earth that I went through last fall I will just let this slide, since by the time I fight them to get them to put it back the way that it was originally before applying the 4 month credit, my contract would have expired by the time it was all worked out. This company never ceases to amaze me.

07/31/09: I contacted Verizon Business Office today, after seeing on the portal that I was eligible for a bundle discount, by combining my POTS and DSL on one bill. Apparently I can get both Freedom Essentials and 7.1 DSL for $79.99 a month, which is called Verizon Double Freedom. I am paying $45.99 a month now for Essentials and $42.99 for DSL, so this would save me $8.99 a month off of my bill. The best part about this, is that the rep that I spoke with said I would be able to come off my 1 year contract, and would be placed on a month to month on the DSL portion. I can lock this price in for the next 12 months with no ETF if I drop the bundle. I would just go back to my previous billing. I took them up on their offer, so I guess I will see what happens to the billing when I get my next bill in late August.

08/21/09: I checked my online billing today. The paper bill went out a few days ago, which hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to view on the DSL side at verizon.net what Verizon Online was going to submit to the POTS billing as my current billing cycle before the $79.99 Double Freedom bundle reset it. Apparently I was taken off the $39.99 a month DSL billing. They reset my DSL billing by taking me off of my old billing agreement and entered me into a month to month agreement. They treated it as a new customer agreement, and basically reset my billing in January of this year under the promo that was running at that time for the 7.1 tier for new customer signups. The first 4 months are free and then it bills at $42.99 a month. I was placed on a month to month billing, which would run through December. Then the regular price would be $52.99 month to month with POTS. Of course this is all moot now since it will be reset yet again under the $79.99 Double Freedom promo that I recently signed up for. I then went to their main verizon.net signup page to find out exactly what they charge for the 7.1 tier at the full price month to month, with and without POTS. The current billing info for the 7.1 tier list it at $62.99 month to month dry,$52.99 month to month with POTS, $39.99 with a 1 year contract and POTS or $37.99 with a 2 year contract and POTS. No wonder they can't seem to keep the billing straight, they have so many different billing scenario's, there's no telling what you may end up with at the end of the day.

08/25/09: I received my bill in the mail today, and I was billed correctly under the Double Freedom bundle at $79.99 plus $12.01 in taxes and fees, for a total of $92. You gotta love unfees! I can't believe they actually got it right this time on the very first try. Go Figure!

01/04/10: Connection has been rock solid since August 2009, with the exception of a couple of minor outages that each lasted for maybe 3-4 hours. Bottom line is this, obviously there is very poor communications between the different departments at Verizon, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and that is unacceptable with a telecommunications company. Usually when you want to give a company more business, they don't require that you jump through hoops to do so. As long as everything is running smoothly, and you never have to contact them for any reason, they are great. If something goes wrong however, you will quickly learn that their outsourced support is unable to handle even minor issues.

09/18/10: Connection reliability has started to slip recently. I could count on one hand how many times it had gone down over the past two years. Since this past April there has been a total of 7 outages. Some of them lasting for more than 24 hours. Three outages in August alone. This is very unusual for Verizon. I hope this is not a preview of what is to come. I've recently read numerous comments by DSLR users of reliability issues in several states in their footprint. Verizon has gone as far as to sell off large chunks of their "less profitable" markets. I have serious doubts that my area here in rural Maryland will ever see FIOS. We may even be the next market to be sold off to the highest bidder. If that happens I am sure our reliability issues will only get worse.

Recently when my current double play bundle I had with them (phone/dsl) expired I called them to sign up for another 1 year bundle deal. That experience was pure hell on earth. Not only did they not give me the agreed bundle deal of $64.99 a month on my next bill as they agreed to do, they also signed me up without my knowledge or permission for their internet security suite, insurance on my computer,dedicated 24/7 expert care technical support, and Verizon On Demand Games.

I was outraged. I immediately called them back and had to literally get into a verbal fight with this very arrogant customer support rep in the telephone support dept. That was horrible. My blood pressure had to have been through the roof. This woman all but called me a bare faced liar about not signing up for those services. I told her I would have NEVER asked for those services, as I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable person when it comes to computers. I did not need or want expert care as I am able to do my own trouble shooting, I don't need the on site repair service and insurance on my desktop or laptop, I rarely play online games, and I already have an excellent virus/adware/malware setup that I am very happy with.

Well, she cancels all of those services and also put me on that $64.99 bundle special I was already suppose to be under nearly 6 weeks ago. Well, I get my bill in the mail about three weeks later, and sure enough no bundle deal, and to add insult to injury I was billed a $59.99 early termination fee for cancelling the expert care tech support that I had never asked for in the first place. I called them back again on 8/20/10 and demanded to speak with a supervisor after speaking to yet another very rude service rep, who didn't even apologize for what I was going through, and had the nerve to try to upsell me on DirecTV. I told her that I live in a large apt. complex that does not allow a dish to be installed because there is no ideal way to install them on the side of the building. This woman had enough nerve to say, well sir that doesn't sound truthful to me because the laws were changed to allow apartment dwellers to install a dish. Unreal that these people are allowed to talk to loyal customers in this manner, especially those who pay their bills on time every month.

I told her I don't care if you don't believe me, I do not want DirecTV right now even if it were an option at my current address because I already have digital cable with a local provider, and I may be moving within the next 12 months, and it would require a 2 year commitment on my part for the DirecTV service. So, after telling her this and asking to be put on the $64.99 Double Play bundle deal (for the 3rd time) I then asked her again for a second time to please transfer me to your supervisor she finally agrees. I was then placed on hold for nearly 35 minutes before I reached a supervisor.

This supervisor quickly transfers me to India support because he doesn't deal with DSL issues, only phone. I spent the next 45 minutes holding for a rep in India. I then had to explain to this rep in India, because none of the previous reps had bothered to place any notes whatsoever on my account of what was going on, so I had to start all over again from the beginning.

That was going nowhere and after spending 10 minutes explaining to her what had happened, she too said why did you ask for services you did not want? I said, in a raised voice, I did NOT ask for ANY of those services ,and only after threatening to cancel all of my services did she finally agree to credit my account for the $59.99. I will have to wait until late September when my next bill cycles to see if she actually applied the credit, but after my last ordeal with billing I am not holding my breath. I am NOT a happy camper right now.

10/12/10: I was finally credited for the $59.99 early termination fee. I also recently placed an order online through their web-site to upgrade my DSL from my current 7.1/768 to 15/1. Their fastest tier available. My service ready date was September 15th, but they actually did the upgrade a day early on the 14th. I must say I was very surprised after what I dealt with recently. However, because of my distance from the central office I was provisioned for 10/1 Mbps for $39.99 a month with a one year contract and POTS and a $150 ETF. I am crossing my fingers that the billing will also be as smooth as the upgrade. I'll update my review after my bill arrives.

10/26/10: Verizon actually billed me correctly after the recent upgrade. I just hope it's smooth sailing from here.

01/26/11: No new service or billing issues to report. So far so good.

03/23/11: I've had the 10-15 Mbps plan since September 2010 and before that I had 7 Mbps since 2008. I never had a hiccup with the 10-15 Mbps plan in the six months since ordering it. I had my POTS and DSL bundled together but now that I have a unlimited voice plan with my cellular provider I found that I almost never use my landline to make voice calls.

I placed an order with Verizon on March 17th to go dry loop on the DSL at the same speed package 10-15 Mbps. That order completed on March 21st. Everything was fine for the next 48 hours until I woke up this morning and noticed pages were now loading much slower. So I pulled up my stats and my speed has been downgraded to 3 Mbps from 10 Mbps.

I am now being told by the drones in India that my line is only capable of a maximum of 3 Mbps. After bringing to their attention that I had 10 Mbps since September 2010, and 7 Mbps for two years prior to that, so how is this possible? They draw a blank.

I have a feeling if I called them tomorrow and placed an order for POTS I would suddenly and inexplicably discover that my line is capable of getting the 10 Mbps plan again. My only other option for broadband at my location is Charter Communications which is a whole other can of worms, and AT&T 3G for $60 a month with a 5 GB monthly limit. So Verizon knows my options are limited.

03/24/11: I just got off the phone with them. That was fun! It's bad enough trying to get this resolved then on top of it there is the language barrier. Well, after having them escalate it to a supervisor here in the states, he said the reason I was bumped back from 10 to the 3 Mbit plan is because when you go dry loop the max speed you can get in Maryland is 3 Mbps. Anything above that has to be bundled with POTS. It would have been nice if the rep who took my order on the 17th had explained this to me. It would have saved me three hours on the phone yesterday, and another 90 minutes today. So, I guess I have to live with 3 Mbits for the time being. I will miss having 10, but not at $90 a month. I will have to pay $39.99 dry loop for the 3 Mbit plan with a 12 month commitment.

03/25/11: I pulled up the website just now and for the 7 Mbps and 15 Mbps plans they have a notice saying those two speed packages are not available at my location dry loop. If I check off with POTS I can suddenly order those tiers again. Pretty lousy business practices if you ask me. They would be getting an additional $20 a month from me if they allowed me to order the 10-15 Mbps plan dry loop. It's like I'm being punished for dropping voice services.

04/20/11: I called Verizon today to cancel my DSL service. My 3 Mbps service was dropped back to 1.5 Mbps on April 18th after being hit by their so called optimization service. I called customer support and spoke with no fewer than five different reps, and two supervisors, explaining to them that I am only 6,400 feet from my central office and just recently had 10 Mbps on my line until I went dry loop and had it bumped back to 3 against my wishes, so if my line can handle 10 it can certainly handle 3. Well that went no where fast.

They just kept spewing the same scripted BS, it's well within the 1.5-3 mbps range. I then said you know what, I'm done. Transfer me to the department that takes disconnect orders. I was given a retention offer by the disconnect department for 3 mbps for $24.99 a month, which is actually an excellent offer, but I told them why should I even waste my time, if you will only give me 1.5 Mbps? You've already bumped me back twice. So why should I give you guys a third chance? I politely declined the offer. So that ends my 7 year relationship with Verizon DSL.

I will start checking into resellers in this area in the coming week. I hear DSL Extreme is one option. In the meantime I am stuck with using my AT&T 3G service at home via my tethering plan. With that being capped at 5 GB per month I won't be doing much more than basic browsing until I can place an order for DSL service with a reseller. I will update how that goes at a later date.

04/22/11: It looks like I shot myself in the foot by cancelling service. A Verizon supervisor called me yesterday afternoon because he said he wanted to know why I cancelled my service. I told him what has been going on. I told him if he can get me set back up with what I wanted originally the 10-15 plan that I would consider coming back. Long story short, after checking a few things he came back on the line and said, sir I am sorry to tell you this but it appears that your central office is oversold and there is no available circuit.

Great, if I had known this was the reason why my line was being constantly re-provisioned at a lower sync rate I would have kept my service active long enough to switch to a reseller, but now that I am no longer active in the central office even that isn't an option. So now I am stuck with AT&T 3G for the foreseeable future. My only other option for broadband at my location is Verizon Wireless also with a 5 GB cap or satellite.

06/20/11: I was contacted by Verizon today that an opening in my central office had become available. Finally some good news. So I immediately cancelled my wireless service at $80 a month for 5 lousy GB's. Except one problem. There was no opening at my central office! Needless to say I was not a happy camper. So I demanded a supervisor in the US and much to my surprise he actually called me back an hour later. He apologized and said he would call the dispatch dept. for my local area and over ride the block since I was told there was an opening. They had me up and running 72 hours later on the 23rd. The only real complaint I have is that they provisioned my line for 1.5 Mbits on the 3 Mbit plan. I am only six blocks from the central office and I use to have the 15 Mbit plan just two months ago. They also are billing me $44.99 a month with no contract dry loop. That is absurd for the speed I am getting but at least there is no cap (for now).

06/24/11: I called support today and asked why I was only getting 1.5 Mbits on a 3Mbit plan when I am less than 6,500 feet from the central office. They just kept saying that I was within an acceptable speed range. I asked for a supervisor and explained to him that I had the 15 Mbit plan just this past April but now that the central office is full techs are apparently not provisioning for anything faster than 3. He confirmed this but said I should be getting the 3 because of my distance from the CO. He placed an order to change my speed and an hour later after a recycle of the modem I was now up to the full 3 Mbits. I am very surprised it went so smoothly. As anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with support at Verizon knows, getting anything accomplished with them is an exercise in futility. Now, after my first bill comes in the mail I will see what I can do to knock that price down a bit. At least see if I can come off a month to month plan to get it a little cheaper.

06/27/11: Apparently I was hit by their optimization software this morning. My sync dropped from 3360/864 to 2526/864. I know calling is a waste of time since they changed their TOS so you have to agree to having your line probed by their software on a regular basis in order to continue to receive service.

06/28/11: I was hit again this morning. My sync is now 2942/864. Still not the full sync rate but getting closer. I guess they are probing the line daily now and not monthly.

06/29/11: Hit again. Sync is now back down to 2526/864.

06/30/11: I was hit again this morning, but finally was put back to the full 3360/864 sync rate. I wonder how long it will last.

07/01/11: I was contacted today by a Verizon support rep after he saw my post in the Verizon direct forum. He said he would take the optimization off my line.

07/02/11: I'm now off of the optimization and he also said he put me on Fastpath. My latency improved dramatically from 24 ms to 8 ms. Thanks Verizon direct. Now that is service!

07/21/11: I contacted billing today to see if I could get the price down a bit and they refused to lower the price from $44.99 unless I bundle it with POTS. They would give me the Regional Essentials with the 3 Mbit plan for $44.99, which is what I am currently paying for dry loop, but after you add in the taxes and fees on the POTS side I would be paying around $55 so I will stick with dry loop for the time being.

10/23/11: I logged into my account today to pay my latest bill and Verizon offered me Freedom Essentials with High Speed Internet Enhanced (3 Mbps) for $44.99 a month. It just made economical sense to take them up on their offer, considering I am paying that for dry loop. I will essentially be getting an unlimited voice line for $10 more a month ($55 after taxes and fees). I was up and running just a few hours after placing the order online. I just hope the billing is as smooth.

11/23/11: The billing was anything but smooth. Verizon did not give me Freedom Essentials but Regional Essentials, and then billed me for all calls outside my regional area. When I called them to bring this error to their attention (after a 45 minute hold) they admitted that something went wrong in their billing system. She said it would cost me $59.99 a month if I wanted that Freedom Essentials package with DSL.

I declined and said just disconnect my voice service and I will go back to dry loop. She said please hold sir, and came back to the line nearly 10 minutes later and said I can credit your account for the calls you should not had been billed for and we can put you under our Regional Essentials with 3 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month. I accepted the offer, only because making any major changes to my services would probably make it that much worse. I will update when the new bill arrives.

12/23/11: Received latest bill and it's still incorrect. This time I was billed separately for voice and DSL instead of a bundle price. It was broken down at $34.99 for Regional Essentials and $34.99 for DSL. The total with taxes and fees was $80. I contacted billing and they have no explanation of what is going on with my account.

Since I rarely use the landline for making calls, and only have it for a backup in an emergency, I told them just take the voice line down to the bare bones measured rate service with no calling features, which I was told would be $5.92 plus taxes and fees. I was told I could get the DSL at the same rate of $34.99. I'll update in late January when the next bill arrives.

01/24/12: Received bill today and the billing was finally correct. The taxes and fees on the voice side were nearly twice the cost of the measured rate service but at least it's correct. The total for both services with taxes and fees was $50. I was paying $44.99 before all of this mess just for dry loop DSL, so getting a landline for emergencies for $5 more than my dry loop price is worth the added peace of mind.

member for 11.4 years, 2033 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

postjosh

so, it's not just me

wow, i thought i was having a hard time with verizon dsl (see my review »Review of Verizon Online DSL by postjosh). i'm very impressed with how well you documented your ordeal. a few thoughts...

i now start my customer support process by posting to the verizon direct forum here. i then report back to the forum what the phone support people did to follow up. this seems to help.

i'm wondering what's going on with the pricing. i was told less than a month ago that the $45/mo was for no contract but that if i signed up for a year, they would do $35. it sounds like they're not offering that to you. maybe you need to ask again or maybe they are phasing it out. it may be regional. i'm in nyc. i hope i can still get it, if they fix my problem. they already reneged on the $27 for life deal with me. i had the pots billed separately from the dsl but they claimed that by cancelling pots i was changing my service and my lifetime contract was cancelled. i think that's bull but what am i going to do, get a lawyer?

i haven't seen any evidence of them intentionally lowering my sync speed. i think my speed issue is the result of their network issues. they provide advertised speed in my office consistently.

also, why is that the techs ask you to test my using speedtest.net? that makes no sense to me. shouldn't the first thing they look at be the sync speed listed on your modem's home page (192.168.1.1)?

it's clear to me that verizon is no longer interested in dsl. they are pushing fios like crazy and i may have no choice but to give in and pay the higher fees to get decent broadband.

again, sorry for your pain and thanks for logging it so carefully.

- josh

·Verizon Online DSL

Re: so, it's not just me

Yep, that's exactly the issue. Verizon no longer cares about copper POTS and DSL. They are putting all of their resources into FIOS and wireless, while letting the copper plant die a slow and painful death. That leaves us stuck with sub-par service. At one time Verizon DSL was rock solid. I could count on one hand how many service issues I had in an entire year. Now I am having issues at least two to three times a month. This was the very reason I left cable because of the constant issues. Our cable provider in this area is Charter Communications, and you would only use them as a last resort. So that leaves me with Verizon DSL or 3G wireless from Verizon or AT&T with it's 10 GB caps, and $10 per GB overages.

FIOS isn't an option for me and it will probably never be. I live in rural southeastern MD and the chances of them rolling out FIOS in this area of the state is slim to none. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them sell off my area to a regional player like they have been doing up north in the New England area. I've had several field techs at Verizon tell me that corporate just isn't spending the money anymore on the copper plant and the only thing techs can do is do patch jobs and basically put band aids on the problem. No money is being spent on true upgrades or proper maintenance.

Re: so, it's not just me

just to let you know... i posted to the verizon direct forum last week about my upload speed issues. they set up a ticket for me on the 18th. i received a voicemail last night (aug 21st) saying that the problem had been corrected. not bad, considering that verizon has been out on strike. anyhow, the problem does seem to be fixed. my upload speed been upped to the advertised maximum. i will wait a week and then try to get a contract if it still working properly. so it seems that at least in big cities they are making some attempt to maintain their dsl service.

3358 Kbps / 863 Kbps on the modem w/ fastpath
2830 Kbps/ 710 Kbps & 35 ms ping w/ qos at speedtest.net

Re: so, it's not just me

Congrats on getting your upstream increased. I may try again to get under a contract in a week or two once the workers get back from the strike and get ahead on the back log of issues.

Re: so, it's not just me

they're still offering the contract at least online. i don't know what the asterisk about taxes is about. there have never been any on my past internet bills. i think that they just automatically put that on the bottom of everybody's bill.

·Verizon Online DSL

Re: so, it's not just me

I just checked online and I'm not seeing that offer that you posted. I don't know if that's because you're in NY and I'm in MD. Maybe it's a regional thing. The cheapest plan they had for me was $44.99 a month for Regional Essentials POTS with 3 Mbps DSL, or $59.99 for Freedom Essentials and 3 Mbps DSL plus taxes and fees. For dry loop the online ordering system wouldn't let me get on a contract, only month to month at my current $44.99 a month.

ahhhhhhhhh

@myvzw.com

verizon dsl sucks

Verizon DSL is horrible. Hasn't been working so i called tech support. What a joke. Canceling with Verizon now. This is my third time having these issues in the last 4 months.
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Customer service is hideous!!!

I've never seen anything like it!!! You have to follow up on every single request or ELSE!!! I've just had FIOS installed all I can say is UGGGHHH.

Review by larry2617 See Profile

• Location: Hardy,Franklin,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "steady reliable service"
Bad "tech support needs work"
Overall "good reliable service for the money"

wish they would get better speeds but shouldn't complain had dial-up until 2 years ago.they are the only ones that provide service to this area besides dial-up/satellite service.

still cannot get upgraded to faster speed everyone i talk to about it (including dsl reports) just states that faster speed isn't available no reason why.read on forums that my numbers should qualify for 3.0 and to call verizon dsl and request upgrade they say it is not available but no reason for it

Still no upgrades numbers from modem say less than 12000 ft verizon says more than 17500 ft cannot get them to upgrade their numbers database so I have basically given up on new speeds until something better comes along still beats dial-up.Update Finally got up to 3.0 about 10 months ago seems to be steady now.wish someone would come along with something better

member for 6 years, 1205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by raster44 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,Niagara,NY
Good "always connected, two outages in 12 years,"
Bad " need faster connection + Fios?"
Overall "Not bad, reliable"

go way back as I had to fight to get isdn connection and cost was ridiculous. Installers didn't know what they were doing and I had to provision with technician in Albany for a few hours.

Comments:

Review by WindsurferLA See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "reliable"
Bad "lately, at times connection gets real slow"
Overall "I understand it is still much better than TW cable"

I'm located on the west side of Los Angeles, 3 miles inland from the beach where it rarely snows.

I switched from TW cable to Verizon DSL a few years ago. In a package that includes my hard wired land line, Verizon DSL was overall significantly less expensive than separate TW cable Internet and Verizon telephone service. However, I dropped TW cable because of reliability issues and not cost. One day I even resorted to AOL dial-up to get a critical document transmitted because TW was dead. After that, no more TW.

Initially, a few years back, DSL download speeds were typically > 6.0 Mbit/sec. High speed is probably due to the fact that I'm 1/2 mile for CO. In the past few months, the speed had dropped way down On one morning it was less than 1.0 MBit/sec. Verizon FIOS is not available to me although people that live on the other side of my street can get it. Perhaps one day I'll have that option.

Comments:

Review by hrickpa See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "speed and price"
Bad "constanly calling verizon to reset my speed from 7.1 to 5 "

have 7.1/786

Every time I have have sync problems they slow my speed down i am now currently at 4.5 meg speed. either they fix the problem that is causing the problem

member for 12.8 years, 2007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08
Mechanicsburg, PA

dream on

aint no fios coming to reading, now or in the future.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Never say never.

Review by Jodokast96 See Profile

• Location: Sicklerville,Camden,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Connection never drops; Still best bang for the buck (if you can get the new 7.1 service). Verizon Direct forum on this site."
Bad "First contact support staff is mostly clueless; Poor coordination and communication between various departments."
Overall "3/768 still better than Comcast's 6/384Ok, Comcast has gotten better and faster, but DSL here is still good."

Had service now since '02. Ordered for my fax line and quickly received install kit (Westell 2200). On my SRD (a Friday after 6pm) I discovered my phone line was dead, so I never got to install it. Started making the calls to get it resolved. Support was very nice, but not very helpful. After 4 days, someone suggested that even though I had no phone service, the DSL might still be active. Hooked it all up, and there was my DSL. 2 days later, I had phone service back on the line. Received 1 month DSL credit and 1 month line charge credit for the second line, without ever asking for it. Everyone involved was extremely nice throughout, but no one knew what anyone else was doing. Support didn't know what the CO was up to who didn't know what DSL was up to who didn't know what the field tech was up to and on and on.

Fast forward to 11/05. Since install service has been outstanding!. Not one minute of downtime, no billing issues, and received all speed upgrades offered. But all good things must come to and end, or at least hit some bumpy roads. While in the middle of an online game, the connection drops. Eventually, I get the connection back, but the speeds are downright horrible and completely unstable. Calling tech support was ok till I accidentally hung up on them. The second (called back right away) was a complete disaster. Totally clueless rep. Gave the standard "It's something with your computer. Call MS or the manufacturer." Third call got me a ticket opened and a tech sent out 2 days later. Tech is stumped. The line tests out great, but the connection, even with his equipment is the same as mine. Makes a few calls to the CO, and they decide to send me a new modem (Westell 327w). Doesn't fix it.

It's now 7/06. While waiting for Verizon to fix it, I found a slight workaround that makes the connection usable, but not as good as it was. That was four months ago. In that time I've found a number of others who have the same issue and are still fighting with Verizon to get it fixed (I've since given up contacting them).

Ratings:

Presales - 5 - Ordered online, found everything I needed to know.

Install Coordination: - 2 - Pretty much covered above. It seems a little better coordinated between departments now compared to then.

Connection Reliability - 4 - Even with the one problem I've had, the connection is never down and trouble free otherwise. I've only had one other outage, and that was after a storm. Back up in a few hours.

Tech Support - 3 - The initial level of support you reach can be pretty bad. Most of the time, the accents are very heavy which makes for a lot of "Could you repeat that?" from both parties. A lot of times, they just really don't know what they are talking about, and like to start from scratch instead of what listening to what you've already tried troubleshooting. Very frustrating if you know even the slightest bit about working with computers. And if you have to make more than one call, the next rep you get never knows what went on in the previous call, so you pretty much have to start all over again. If you are lucky, they will listen to you when you tell them what the previous rep(s) did and either go from there or escalate. Not as good as it was 4 years ago.

Support above this has been much better, even though they were unable to solve my problem. The problem is sometimes getting to this level of support.

Just for BBR members: There is a new forum here, Verizon Direct, which seems to eliminate the bad experiences of the initial level of support. I have not used it, but many members seem quite happy with it. They are much more knowledgeable, and it seems to be a one on one approach so that you don't have different reps trying to figure out what the others did.

Services - 3 - I don't use any of them, so I can't comment on how good or bad they are.

Value - 5 - But may not be for long. Another speed upgrade from Comcast could certainly drop this rating down. The reasons it is still on top over Comcast's 6mb is the poor upload speed from Comcast and subpar pings and latency through Comcast. File downloads are fast with them, but browsing can be painful.

UPDATE 7/07: Things really have not changed. The problem I mentioned in my initial review has been traced to issues with Juniper routers on the Verizon network. They have admitted there are issues with them, are unable to replace them (apparently it was huge, expensive upgrade for them), and are unwilling to switch me back to a Redback. I know it would be possible to switch me back as my neighbor is still on one, however their direct response was "if we do it for you, we'd have to do it for everyone".

Other than that one issue, I personally have no complaints with my service. I've had one instance of down time and that was an issue for voice repair, but the DSL service has been like a rock. Always fast (except for noted issue above) and always stable.

UPDATE 1/09: All is still good here. 7.1 is available now, and though I am close enough to support it, Verizon hasn't yet made it available to customers fed from an RT.

UPDATE 12/13: Cost for the speed became too great. Comcast upgraded things here greatly. I've been with them for about a year now with no complaints. Leaving Verizon was a painful nightmare as it wiped out my online access to my phone account as well. Just ended up canceling voice with them too.

Comments:

Review by mb See Profile

• Location: Washington,Warren,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Excellent Bundle Deal"
Bad "Can't compete with Comcast's Speeds, Not IPv6 ready"
Overall "Excellent Basic ISP"

After a rocky start, Infospeed has been running solidly here in Northern NJ. I regularly see 500/68 speeds. I use a Netgear RT314 Gateway Router to network 2 PCs.

Update 2 years later: Verizon is now much more stable, I constantly see 516/81 here in New Jersey. I am told that Verizon must resolve some issues with our Public Utilities Commission before we can see a boost in speed to the Verizon standard 768/128. I am paying the 39.95/month rate, which I assume is a grandfathered rate. Friends in the area have Optimum Online which offers about ten times the speed I see for the same price. It is not available here as we are in Comcast territory and Comcast will likely never match Optimum Online, so, I will likely be a DSL customer for a long time.

Update Sept 2002 NJ has been upgraded to 768/128 and I see consistent 728/136. I can't remember when the last time was that I lost service. I am still paying $39.95/month. I feel comfortable in saying Verizon now kicks ass!

Update May 2004 I have been upgraded to 1500/384 and now pay $29.95/month. Service is rock solid. I don't think that I've had 10 minutes of downtime in the last 2 years. Mail and News are top notch.

Update September 2004 I ordered a new line with 3000/768 service and now pay $44.95/month. The order went through without issue in 5 days. Verizon has evolved into a top notch operation.

Update November 2004 I took advantage of a regional promotion that reduced the cost of the 3000/768 package to $29.95/month and included a 4 port wire/wireless router/modem in exchange for a 1 year agreement. A great deal.

Update May 2005 Only change since last review has been a swapped Westell 327 modem router. The initial made in China Ver E had been shelved due to instability issues, the current Ver C made in USA version runs flawlessly. At this point the only thing I am looking forward to is the ability to drop the dial tone on this DSL line and save $12/month on my phone bill.

Update Jan 2006 Moved DSL from a secondary to my primary telephone line and had the secondary line disconnected at a savings of $13/month. After intervention by top level tech support the MCO properly configured the ASAM at my CO and issues involving the move order were resolved. Service is fine.

Update Feb 2007 Moved DSL from my primary telephone line to a "dry loop" for $34.99/month. This is s $5/m increase. I disconnected my primary telephone line and now use Vonage over the DSL circuit for telephone. The bottom line is about a $15/month savings. The connection is rock solid with low latency (fastpath) and speed tests average 2875/735. The only issue occurred during the switch from interleaved to fastpath. I am now on ADSL2+ equipment and the initial change order was botched and had to be re-ordered. Outsourced tech support made the process very difficult. Thank god for the VerizonDirect forum at BBR!

Update October 2008 After over 8 years as a Verzion (Bell Atlantic) DSL customer, I canceled service. This cancellation came after a side by side trial between Comcast and Verizon ISP offerings. In my location, Comcast consistently provides twice the speed for about the same cost and the quality of service seems to be identical. The only complaint about Verizon would be it's inability to provide me with faster speeds. If and when FIOS comes to my area, I'll be back.

Update February 2011: 11 Years after having my initial DSL circuit turned up, I have again returned. Now I regularly see speeds of 6710/730 (vs 500/68 in 2000) with low latency/jitter due to fastpath provisioning. I had DSL re-installed as it is only costing about $5/month as part of a 2 year bundle deal that was offered when I returned to Verizon telephone service after a 3 year foray into VOIP. The deal included a free Westell 7500 wireless gateway. Comcast is the primary ISP due do their speed, but the Verizon DSL is more than adequate for the web and e-mail and at $5/month it is an easily justifiable backup internet connection.

Update October 2011: Rock solid, no issues, Verizon's DSL and Comcast's HSI are feeding the LAN here through a Draytek dual wan router. The quality of the wireline voice service that accompanies DSL just cannot be beat by any VOIP provider.

Update July 2012: The DSL now only feeds the DVR and is now used only to supply Netflix. The two reasons behind this are: No caps verses my other ISP Comcast and Comcast provides IPv6, Verizon does not. My Draytek Dual WAN router is not yet IPv6 ready and combining the DSL and Cable through it was causing some issues. DSL remains rock solid

Update May 2013: The DSL and landline circuits have been turned off for good. Although the service excelled, it was obvious that Ma Bell has no interest in being competitive with Cable HSI. My cable circuit supplies more than the necessary bandwidth for all of my needs. Landline switched to ATT wireless home phone at $23/month for unlimited voice service.

member for 13.7 years, 6361 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by alrandolph See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "Consistent speeds"
Bad "have to pay for a voice line which i don't even use"
Overall "Works fine for me with no issues"

When was in Bed-Stuy Bklyn I had 3/768. In January I moved to Jersey city and was shocked to see I was getting 7/768, which made me very happy. Sadly I have to pay for Voice which is 29.99 and Dsl is 30.00, but I get a $5 credit every month.

I never have any issues. It is stable and Solid and that is value to me.

Oh I did have one issue, for 1 week somehow my phone/dsl stopped working, had to wait a week until the tech came out and fixed it, verizon credited my bill automatically, didn't have to call and fight them.

Comments:

Review by kotyaer See Profile

• Location: Greenbackville,Accomack,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Local representatives are willing to work with you"
Bad "Most of the time you don't get to deal with local representatives."
Overall "Avoid if you can."

Moved 2 miles down the road, to a new house.

They couldn't service me because the address didn't exist. No idea how to add the address. It took me a month and a half to figure out the local reps and get a hold of someone who could help me. Was then told they were at capacity. Then, I was told that I could get internet.

Install day comes, I check my speeds. 1.8/0.4. I talk to the local help, and I'm told "welp, that's the best you'll get". I pulled up my Zoom ADSL router info, and found that I theoretically could actually get 20megs.

I hate being lied to.

Comments:

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

You can get up to 20 mbps. This doesn't mean you always get 20 mbps. The farther you are from the phone company's central office/remote terminal/cabinet, the slower DSL gets.
Do you have alternatives to Verizon DSL (which isn't dial-up, satellite, or capped 4G)?
kotyaer

join:2011-08-09
Greenbackville, VA

Re: DSL doesn't always promise it's full 20 mbps

Negative. Only alternatives would be "other" dsl on Verizon lines.

I don't like being told that my "cap" is 1.8. Then pushing them and being told it's 3. Then I run some tests and find it can easily do even more.

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: North Tonawanda,Niagara,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Consistent Speeds, low latency, great uptime"
Bad "Support can be a bit of trouble when a problem is with the line, or is an unusual issue."
Overall "It's a good service to use overall, but keep in mind it is DSL."

·Frontier Communi..
I subscribe to 5Mbps/768kbps at the current time and run with a FastPath profile. The Verizon backbone has been seeing some issues as of late with other transit providers. While I'm sure this is not a Verizon issue, it's bothersome when trying to stream video or play games over the connection. I just hope things are improved soon, especially before Winter.

Overall, the DSL service has been reliable. I've had a few outages over the past 9 years, two of which were PPPoE outages, and two of which were due to fiber cuts affecting the remote terminal I feed out of. If you're fortunate enough to get a speed higher than 3Mbps, the service does have a snappy feeling to it. If you're unfortunately stuck in an area that is limited to 3Mbps or less, the service does start to feel antiquated and slow. Minus the note I have above about the backbone and peering issues that have been plaguing both DSL and FiOS, the service works as expected. I get my speeds consistently, day and night, games work well, and 1080p HD Streaming (Netflix, YouTube, etc) is possible with the level of service I am receiving. That's about all that is to this review. It just works.

Besides the connection itself, most of the problems I have run into were administrative issues on Verizon's end. While I have yet to run into billing issues, I have come across plenty of technical issues which Verizon has fallen short on resolving in some cases. A prime example is a problem which I'm continuing to troubleshoot as of this review. Since late July, after a heavy thunderstorm crashed through the area, my DSL connection has been plagued with an intermittent "Sync-no-surf" issue. In essence, the modem shows it is synchronized and my router is holding a PPPoE session, but I have a heavy amount of packet loss on the connection. The modem shows a high level of noise when this happens. During troubleshooting, I supplied all of the troubleshooting information I have produced to Verizon, indicating I have tried different supported modems which work, checked Transceiver Statistics and landline voice quality, and have inspected all wiring inside of my home and in the NID. I even provided information on problems even my neighbors started to have with their services after that storm.

When troubleshooting began, Verizon's automated testing began to cause provisioning issues on my connection. Since I am on a Litespan remote and happen to be getting 5M service, I am also tied into a Juniper edge router. For me to have properly working service, the provisioning had to be set up a certain way. The automated system, against my warnings to Verizon, went through and made changes which resulted in the line being nearly unusable. A video of how unusable the service was, is posted below. In addition, my speed was also turned way down, with the belief that the problem was due to my speed being set too high. Unfortunately, I also told them this was not the problem, and got the speed turned right back up the next day. Lastly, I was sent a new modem, an ActionTec GT784WNV, which despite being a good piece of hardware, suffers from firmware issues which promptly caused me to retire the modem into storage. Two primary functions of the router, the DHCP Daemon and the WLAN daemon, were found memory leaking despite all efforts to resolve the leaking issue, and this as a result caused the gateway to crash and reboot anywhere from 12 hours, to five days later.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-I4AGZO1Zc

For now, troubleshooting continues on the line. I've managed to get my provisioning reset to where it was last was before the support started after taking that problem away from support's hands and into my hands (took me 10 minutes vs support's 4 days), and Verizon has started sending line technicians out to check the line after much insistence and scolding. Some improvements of my line have come out of these visits, and I feel support is now on the right track, but I am bummed out that I had to do a lot of educating/explaining as to why XYZ process is not proper troubleshooting, from the perspective of a SysAdmin/NetAdmin to a telephone company/ISP. I am also a bit bummed that I had to be the one to coordinate some of the fixes, that otherwise, didn't need the customer's help besides feedback as to whether or not the problem is solved. In the past, I certainly don't remember support being this bad, where I've thrown other oddball issues at them and have gotten results in hours. That's why I'm not completely docking the support rating in this review, but it is something Verizon should work to improve on.

But support issues aside, the Verizon DSL service has been working fine, and I hope it continues this way. I am looking forward to getting the FiOS, or another Fiber service when that becomes available.

member for 6.2 years, 3511 visits, last login: a few hours ago