Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Morgan1970 See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great, until something goes wrong. "
Bad "Must bundle voice service in order to get DSL. Poor communication between departments when service issues arise."
Overall "Reliable connection, but congestion issues, and neglect of infrastructure, are a growing problem."

·Charter
03/20/2015: No new issues to report.

03/13/2015: I received the replacement modem today from UPS. It's an Actiontec GT784WNV Modem/Router. My connection is no longer dying every 7-8 hours since setting up the new modem, and the stability issues seem to have been cleared up as well.

03/12/2015: I heard back from executive appeals today. They said after running several tests on my line, they think the stability and other issues I've been experiencing lately may be related to my modem. So they are sending out a replacement modem overnight via UPS.

03/04/2015: According to a rep here, my line is showing stability issues. His tool is showing that my line is dropping packets. Which explains the buffering issues with streaming video. There was no noise on the line when I listened for static again today, so this is going to be tricky trying to nail down the cause of the instability. The direct forum is sending a ticket to the escalation team to have it checked out.

03/02/2015: For the last week I've been having these strange issues where my connection will simply stop responding, requiring a reboot of the modem in order to clear the issue. All four lights on my modem are lit and green, showing a connection with the DSLAM, but it's just dead in the water. My SNR margins never drop below 10 when this is happening, and I don't hear any noise on the line. I have to reset the modem every 7-8 hours to get a working connection back. I'll have to put in a request with the direct forum to have it checked out.

02/20/2015: I had to have the direct team reprovision my line because the ASSIA optimization software tried to put me at 15 Mbps. When doing so my SNR margin dropped down as low as 2 causing numerous resyncs per hour. I've been told by Presidential Appeals that my line would be removed from the optimization. I'm back at 10 Mbps, and my SNR margins are back to 12.

02/06/2015: No new issues to report. Service has been stable.

01/06/2015: My line was moved today to a less congested router in the DSLAM. I did several speed tests during peak hours this evening, and my speed never dropped below 9 Mbps. The reps in the Verizon Direct forum here are amazing. They were able to accomplish in one week what I couldn't accomplish in six months dealing with the foreign support reps.

01/05/2015: I received a call today from Executive Appeals. She was friendly and said she would immediately escalate my issue, and see about getting my line moved to a less congested router in the DSLAM. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. She hopes to have a tech dispatched to my CO either today or tomorrow to make the change.

12/31/2014: I put in a request over in the Verizon Direct forum yesterday and I heard back from a support rep today that she was escalating my issue to their Executive Appeals department. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

12/22/2014: I've been unable to get anywhere with the tier one support reps. They want to assume that it's on my end, even though I have detailed logs showing it's a peak usage issue. My line is nearly useless from 5 pm - Midnight, and all weekend long. I'm lucky if I'm able to get above 1 Mbps during peak hours.

10/16/2014: I had a Verizon CSR here at BBR check my DSLAM and he said it's clearly congestion from being on an oversold CO and not anything physical with my line. I'm in the process of trying to have someone at Verizon move my line to another DSLAM in the same central office that the rep said isn't as congested. But cannot get past their tier 1 reps. This is going to be a real chore on my behalf.

10/15/2014: I'm still seeing congestion issues but they are happening throughout the day now as well. Not just in the evening hours. They are much worse after 5 pm though. Speeds are also very inconsistent. I can do a speed test and get 9.5 Mbps, then do another one 15 minutes later, and am lucky to get 3 Mbps.

10/08/2014: My speed improved dramatically after 11 pm. I'm now averaging 9.4-9.6 Mbps. Obviously there isn't a problem with my line, and this is evening congestion. Going to a faster tier isn't going to change that obviously.

10/07/2014: I came home at 6 pm and noticed I was still synced at 3360/864. I reset the modem and when it synced back up it shows I am provisioned at 11772/1184. However, after doing several speed tests at multiple sites, it shows I am only averaging about 5 Mbps. I was averaging 9.5 Mbps when I had this tier on this same line back in 2011 before going dry loop, and I never had issues with speed drops. I will test again after 11 pm. I have a feeling this is congestion in the Verizon network.

10/02/2014: I received a promotional email today offering Regional Essentials bundled with 7.1-15 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month for 24 months. I'm currently paying $36.99 a month just for 3 Mbps dry loop. I've been capped at 3 Mbps since I went dry loop in early 2011, and wasn't allowed to order anything faster, even though I had the 10-15 Mbps tier before I dropped voice service. I am not getting my hopes up. With Verizon anything is possible. My service ready date is set for October 7th. I'll update again after the order is processed.

09/09/2014: Still experiencing severe congestion issues in the evening, between 5-11 pm. My modem stats don't change, latency is usually normal, but my download speed drop sometimes below 1 Mbps. Upload speeds are almost always normal. Then after 11 pm, things go back to normal with the download speed. Calls to tech support are still just a waste of time.

07/11/2014: I've been noticing severe speed drops during the evening hours that started at the end of June. From about 5-11 pm my speed is dropping from my usual 2.8 Mbps to less than 1 Mbps. Then after 11 pm, it's back to my normal 2.8. Obviously my DSLAM is so full that when most people are home using their connections in the evening, we are see congestion issues. I called Verizon last week and didn't get anywhere. Which is not surprising. Their normal response is unplug everything. Wash, rinse, repeat.

10/30/2013: Nothing new to report. Connection has been rock solid for the last year with the exception of a few short outages lasting no more than an hour.

member for 12.4 years, 2363 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Cost of Verizon?

Since I'm in Ma Bell's area (AT&T), how much does Verizon charge for POTS and DSL? I wonder if they charge less than $60 because Ma Bell charges me $81 just for 6mbps internet and POTS service

Re: Cost of Verizon?

$44.99 is the advertised promotion right now for 3mbit to 15mbit DSL (best effort) + Regional Calling only in VA with a 2 year contract.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

They just recently started offering this promo to me here in MD, so I took advantage of it. Interestingly until now, they've had my line capped at 3 Mbps since early 2011 and wouldn't allow me to order anything faster, until this past week. The site suddenly allowed me to order the 7.1-15 Mbps tier. I was provisioned at 10/1 due to my distance.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Please report back if there are any congestion issues. Going by your recent review updates VZ is not doing too well.

Perhaps VZ found an excuse to finally install more backhaul or another DSLAM? (a miracle) Or they just gave up and now pretend to offer higher speeds with no backing for it.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

It appears they brought in more backhaul to the tower for LTE. I saw some Verizon vans in the area of the CO late last month which is next door to the cell tower in town. Most likely because more people are upgrading to LTE data plans. I assume they finally lifted their cap on DSL at 3 Mbps. My neighbor in my same apartment building said he was also able to put through an order for 10 Mbps yesterday, which hadn't allowed him since he moved here four years ago, and he also was stuck on 3 Mbps.

·Charter
I'm still having congestion issues. My speed has been hovering around 2 Mbps this entire evening since about 5 pm. Then shortly after midnight it picked up again, and now I'm getting 9.7 Mbps. It's almost like it's automated at scaling back speeds between 5 pm - midnight, because like clock work around 12:00-12:05 am, it picks up and it will stay at my full rate until 5 pm the next evening. Then I'm stuck with 2-2.5 Mbps again until midnight.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Do you know if the Comcast takeover of the broken Charter system in your area is going to happen for sure or not?

Have you considered T-Mobile wireless data, at least as a backup? They have strong HSDPA signal and possibly LTE in your town apparently. On an old AT&T iPhone 4 which only supports a little bit of the T-Mob network I can generally pull 5mbit down, 2 up with low pings (60-100) which is pretty great for 3G. If T-Mobile has LTE in your town, that will kill the rather laggard DSL and Cable competition - speeds ranging from 20mbit to 35mbit, with low pings.

Its worth a try, pick up a cheap LTE supported Android device to use for tethering, and test it out. No contract. Even though Tethering is not supported for unlimited (its capped at like 4gb) apps can get around that...

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Still no word on the Comcast takeover here. The last article I saw about it in the local paper was back in August, and it was still in the pending phase. I'm not so sure that's a done deal. It's been held up by the FCC for more input from consumer groups and states.

I have 3G for a backup on my cell which acts as as hotspot. I don't use it unless I'm out and about or if my DSL line goes down. My Verizon line rarely goes down, it's just slow during the evening. It's frustrating because I waited 4 years for Verizon to lift the cap at 3 Mbps, and when they do, now they have a problem with congestion, making getting 10 Mbps pointless since I rarely get above 3 Mbps from 5 pm - midnight.

I had Tim_K look into it for me and he said I'm on a congested line and that my DSLAM has been oversold. He said the only thing I can do is try to get someone at Verizon to move my line to a less congested one, if there even is one to put me on, or hope Verizon upgrades my DSLAM. I think we all know that Verizon isn't about to spend a red cent on upgrading their copper plant.

·Charter
I'm paying $36.99 for 3 Mbps (my line will support 10 Mbps but they capped my central office at 3 Mbps because the CO is full), and another $5.92 for voice which I'm required to take. I only have the minimum voice service. Basically dial tone service and all local outgoing calls are .10 cents each. I never use it. I don't even have a phone hooked up to the line. By the time they add the absurd fees and taxes to the voice service that $5.92 becomes $18.01. For a total of $55 a month.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

That is just embarrassing for Verizon to have a CO that cant handle the load of customers. They earn billions and do nothing.

Its just like their 4 CO's nearby me with no broadband of any sort.

They get too much credit for FIOS.

4 edits

Re: Cost of Verizon?

I totally agree. They just don't care about landline/DSL anymore. They want to focus on wireless where they are making record profits. I actually had 10 Mbps for over a year. Until my promo expired so I called in to scale back my voice service to the minimum.

So they used that opportunity to drop my line back to 3 Mbps. Even though the rep I spoke to said I would keep 10 Mbps. I spent the next several months speaking to at least 30 reps and 10 supervisors all to no avail. All I did was waste several months of my time.

They kept me at 3 Mbps and to add insult to injury, still had the nerve to charge me the same $36.99 a month for 3 Mbps that I was paying for 10 Mbps. Apparently that's what 25 years of loyal service as a customer gets you with the new Verizon.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Upload speed for DSL in 2014 should be a minimum of 1Mbps unless it is Annex M which should be close to 3.5Mbps. Sorry for your stone age DSL service. And to think it was supposed to be superior to cable.

Where is SDSL, VDSL, IDSL (Distance), Annex M, and bonded DSL? America is in a sad state of broadband. I still cannot believe Romania's slowest package is faster and cheaper than any American package.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Verizon is cheap. They still have ADSL1 DSLAM's around which is rather horrifying. A lot of these were in the footprint dumped off on Frontier.

Rather than upgrade DSLAM's or deploy FIOS, they sell LTE as the solution. Its more the solution for their money pile.

OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
At&t uverse VDSL can do 6mbps upload

OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
Also Century Link VDSL pair bonding can do 50 mbps dsl.
Crimsonite
join:2014-12-12
Diamond Bar, CA

Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

I've been having the exact same problem as many of you for over 2 months now. I got the 10Mbps Enhanced DSL, upgraded from 3Mbps back in 2010, I was getting 8.7Mbps/840Kbps ~ 9.4Mbps/910Kbps with a 15ms ping for 2 years straight without any issues. In 2012, the speed gradually decreased, until it capped at 7.8Mbps/728Kbps and Verizon refused to put me back on the 10Mbps speed profile, they claimed their system detected congestion on my line so it's necessary to lower my speed profile in order to stabilize it. I believe they implemented ASSIA Optimizer in 2012.

Beginning of 2014, the speed dropped to 6.8Mbps/600Kbps ~ 7.2Mbps/700Kbps and ping above 35ms, often spiked over 50ms. I continued to put up with it, even though I've been paying $69.34 a month for DSL and basic phone line (required but we never use). In October things began to get a lot worse, constant disconnects started throughout the entire day. Took me a month to get them to reduce it to a minimum, still happens sometimes. But my speed has dropped below 6Mbps/600Kbps. Every single from 5PM ~ 12AM PST it drops below 3Mbps/400Kbps. As I was typing this it's at 1.18Mbps/400Kbps. And Verizon refused to fix it, they blamed my line and claimed it has been disqualified for the 10Mbps tier, and since I'm on the 7.1Mbps ~ 15Mbps package, 6.8Mbps on average is still normal so they won't do anything about it. I'm canceling it and be done with Verizon. It's an evil company with crappy employees.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

Verizon has abandoned all of us they deem unworthy for FIOS.

I honestly think that Comcast will beat them to FTTH at my address at this rate.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

My only hope for better service is if I get spun off from Charter to the new company GreatLand Connections that Comcast/Charter will have a joint venture in.

And even then, I probably only have a 50/50 chance that this spin off outfit will make the necessary upgrades needed at the cable plant here. Charter has neglected it since the late 90's. And Verizon is letting it's POTS/DSL lines rot into the ground. It's a sad state of affairs that this is what passes for service for a good chunk of the US population.

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

so its confirmed you wont be going directly to Comcast?
I'm sorry for you. (Wow how screwed up that is, I am sorry that someone wont get to "enjoy" Comcast service! Sadly its the only decent choice for a lot of the country.)

Good news is that the guy they picked to run Greatland was known for being pro-customer....so there's that.

I would definitely not rank the service you are getting as positive, I would adjust the sliders so its more negative. Failing at peak time is pathetic.

·Charter

Unfortunately for me, I am stuck with Verizon DSL for fixed broadband at my address. My only other option is Charter which is much worse. Evening congestion with them would drop my line down to sub 1 Mbps. And I would experience at least one outage per week. I was paying them $60+ a month just for internet alone.

After reading about your ordeal, obviously I am out of options with Verizon. All of my contact with them have proved fruitless. I can't get beyond the tier 1 reps. I can't even stream SD streams with Netflix from 5 pm - Midnight without buffering and stuttering every few minutes. I can forget HD streaming, unless I want to wait until 1 am when my normal speed returns.
Crimsonite
join:2014-12-12
Diamond Bar, CA

1 recommendation

Re: Verizon is an evil company - Ditch 'em!

I have two other options in my area, either TWC Fiber or the crazy expensive business class symmetrical fiber ($600+/mo).

It's funny, the so-called free country feels very Commie to me in so many aspects.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

Good

Good to see that they are responding ... let us know what happens! Are you still syncing at the 10 Mbps speed?

Re: Good

Yeah. I'm currently synced at 13755/1045. I'm pulling in about 11.5 Mbps in speed tests right now. But it's only 9:30 am, so I can't tell if they actually moved my line yesterday or not since I don't usually see severe drops in speed until around 5 pm. I did lose sync yesterday afternoon after I checked my logs, but that happens on occasion anyway, so can't say for sure just yet.

I was unable to test yesterday evening during peak hours due to being busy. But hoping I can test it this evening. Executive appeals is supposed to call me to let me know when the move has taken place. I hope this clears up my issues. This has been a nightmare resolving.

Success

Well, its great your off of the congested equipment. My question is why did they not come out and fix it automatically, seeing a pattern of consistent congestion.
Comcast is putting in another CMTS in the headend to fix our local congestion issues that cropped up last month, and I did not even need to yell at them.

8 or 11mbps over ADSL2 from VZ is the good life - I am honestly surprised they are selling such fast tiers out of your congested CO.

Here VZ only sells up to 7mbps over DSL and the CO backhaul was upgraded to handle 500/500 FIOS.

Lets hope your copper loop stays in good shape or your doomed.

Re: Success

Yeah. That's what I would like to know too. I spoke directly with an employee in their executive appeals dept several times last week while the move was going down and she admitted to knowing that the other DSLAM where nearly all of the customers in my exchange are on is severely congested.

Yet, they just let it remain that way. I feel terrible for the folks who have sub 2 Mbps results in the evening hours. She said they've been aware of the issue for some time as apparently I am not the only one from this area complaining loudly about it. Several line techs that service my CO have told me the higher ups are all aware of the congestion in this area. How is this crap even legal? The FCC seems like nothing more than a sock puppet for these out of control telcos. And I don't see that changing any time in the near future. The whole thing is disgusting.

Meagain99

@verizon.net

Reliable connection?

Reliable connection my ass. But it's fine though, as soon as i switch I'll be sure to let them know that I thank them for the free sh*** service because they are not going to get any money regardless of Bill.

Re: Reliable connection?

I hear you. My connection was anything but reliable before I was moved to a new DSLAM last week. I'm just hoping it remains that way. But I know it's not likely. Unfortunately I don't have any other options for wired broadband. Or I would have dumped Verizon long ago.

Review by Chrimos9 See Profile

• Location: Providence,Providence,RI
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable service, decent speeds,"
Bad "telemarketing for fios, Fees,"
Overall "reliable service holding out as long as I can"

2014:

Still on DSL... The only reason is because the price for life is still locked onto us so the cost is more or less the same since last time. The friend I have that had DSL 1.0 Mbps did get to Fios because of rate hikes and noise on the telephone.. that Verizon couldn't fix.

Connection reliable and signals are still nice and stable.

Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/4229 ··· 29984097

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
I have had Verizon DSL since 2004. It was the year where we had multiple computers and Dial-up was no longer an option because people needed the phone and multiple PC's needed to be on-line. After years of using Netzero, Juno, Bluelight, allshak, and any free dial up providers I can get my hands on, it was time to move on.

During this time their were multiple provider choices, Cox Cable, Comcast Cable, Att DSL, Verizon DSL,

I decided I would go with DSL because they said you can use your existing phone lines and no installation required. At the time it was $29.95 for Verizon DSL High speed internet 1.5Mbps/384kbps or Att DSL which was $29.99 a month 1.5Mbps down/384kbps up. Verizon won by 4 cents and also they were offering a promo. Verizon DSL with MSN premium which I had MSN premium up until a few months ago when they discontinue MSN premium.

Installation at the time was super easy. They mailed me a Westell 327W rev A. The instruction said do not install or plug in until you get a phone call telling you its ready. The next day while on dial up, I got a automated message on Callwave, saying my service was ready. I plugged it in install and everything was good. 1.5 down and 384kbps up.

1 week after installation we started to notice static and then we lost both internet and telephone. I had to use my neighbors wifi which is by Cox, and it was open at the time, speeds were 20mbps down and 10mbps up according to speedtest at the time. Sent in a repair request and a few hours later.. Truck pulled up went to the pole in front of our house. When I caught him it look like he was wrapping the line with duct tape... but in a few minutes phone with no static and Internet up and running again

I still have the orginal email message:
Welcome to Verizon Online, your connection to a whole new level of Internet enjoyment. Below is a recap of your order:

o Estimated DSL Service Ready Date * 11-16-2004 after 6pm.
o Billing Start Date - 11-16-2004
o DSL Phone Number -- 401-XXX-XXXX
o Product Package -- ONLINE CONSUMER DSL ANNUAL PLAN
o Maximum Connection Speed -- UP TO 1.5/384 CONSUMER ANNUAL PLAN DSL

* Note: if you purchased an Annual Plan product (as described in the Product Package above), a $99 early termination fee will apply if your service is cancelled within the first year.

o 30-Day Money Back Guarantee Starts -- On Your Service Ready Date

Almost 10 years later we still have reliable DSL connection, and as you can see they bumped our original speed. It was 1.5mbps down and only 384kbps up. Now we have 3360 kbps down and 672 kbps up. It has more then double for the same price!

I kept renewing the 2 year contract up until 2008 or was it 2010 when they stopped emailing me about contract expiring and to renew. On the website verizon.net/renew I do not see it listed anymore as a renew option.

No aditional service calls until 11-14-2012 when the Westell 327W decided it was time to go. No ethernet ports would hold a connection and you would have to rely on Wifi. Thunderstorms would knock the internet out and hot days would cause it to reset itself. I used chat and they emailed me a fee Westell 7500 that is humming along just fine now. Thunderstorm and hot summers no Internet problems.

THE BILL:

$4.21

Verizon Surcharges and Other Charges:

Federal Subscriber Line Access Recovery Charge: 6.75
Federal Universal Service Fees: 1.05
RI Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge: 1.04 »www.ripuc.org/eventsactions/dock ··· -11).pdf
___________________________________
$8.84

We are the last house on our block with DSL and maybe even copper service! All the neighbor houses when I walk right by them I see that the have either Cox when the wifi is open or the Verizon fios junction boxes. We maybe living in 1995 but having a reliable phone service because none of us owns cell phone is the most critical reason why we stayed with copper.

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

DSL stats: We are at the DSL limit I think.

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 672
Margin (dB) 8.8-12.5 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 56.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.2 11.9

When I used the Westell 327W I had much better stats, but I left the top open and lost firmware so now I am stuck with 7500. When I plugged in the 327w I got higher upstream bandwidth at 804kbps instead of 672kbps as shown now. The westell 327w was a ADSL router and the 7500 is a ADSL2 router..

Also conviently a semi knocked some wires down in front of my house and across the street, it was Verizon wires since they ended up repairing as cox left. I think they could have been FIOS wires because they are thick and covered and across the street. I know that the telephone wire is on my side of the street, I don't see any FIOS wires connected to my side, of the street but the most convenient part was after the incident.. Guess who started calling more often?.... FIOS.....

It was hostile, but now more polite.. I guess we will see how long I will be on copper.. Lone man on the block! I wonder how many people are still using DSL at the CO. by the way, no slow down during peak hours everything runs fine and pings are good all the time.

Comments:

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
join:2000-11-08

by you using the dsl

you accept the eua that says vz can provide your service on any type of wire or other means and you cant do bupkus about it. all you can do is stop using them. it's their wire, but it's your house. good luck.

Review by oran See Profile

• Location: united state
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Unbelievably fast self install - tech supprt was good too."
Bad "PPPoE"
Overall "So far, so go."

I ordered on the 6th, had the self install kit on the 9th, and service on the 10th - unbelievable! I did have trouble registering and activating my account, but I was able to call tech support and was treated very well - very knowledgable, likeable guy. Overall I'm impressed, although I'm actually glad the registration had to be done manually - that way, I didn't have to install (or wasn't "encouraged", depends on how you look at it) the Verzion and/or MSN 8 software. Thus, I'm able to use the connection with IE 6, Outlook and MSN Messenger 6.0 - standards based stuff, no ISP specific software - I like that. Again, from what I saw that is not what Verizon "encourages" of new subscribers, but since it is what I have, I have to give them kudos. Service and speed have been rock solid, although the rating for "Mail, DNS, News" is only for DNS services, since I use a hotmail account and I don't use USENET.

All and all, a recommend.

SPEED (1.5/128) EQUIPMENT Westell 2200

Comments:

Review by Wandab See Profile

• Location: Hardy,Franklin,VA
  • Telco party Verizon

Good Considering That The Only Options That Are Available Are Verizon DSL, Satellite, Dial-Up
I Am In A Comcast Area(TV) No Internet Available Different Tales At Different Times As Why Cannot Have
Last One Said They Sent Out A Survey Not Enough People Responded For Them To Consider HSI Internet In Our Area

member for 322 days, 180 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LeslieHarney See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "If u love S&M....this is IT. - 2015 UPDATE"
Bad "SNR downstream at 6dBs within a 7,000 loop. Was getting 15 see below "
Overall "as Red Foxx would say to Verizon " You Dummies ""

PROBLEMS

PART 1
Lets see....
the modem came in 3 days....Not BAD
the hook up was 3 weeks from that date......BAD
the service worked 10 days later. something.
about a router....then it was a profile issue.
Now its working but can't use proxy software ( sygate)
with it successfully. Proxy software works
Fine w/ old 56k modem....not there BA DSL.

PART 2...( months later of the S&M BS).
Had to by Linksys so i could play games between 3 computers...and even THEN i lose connections daily
( sometimes every 10 to 15 min.).
Especially with TRIBES. Manage to get Sygate to work....but can only attach to Tribes servers...other
games will not work thru Sygate. So...you my ask.." How do u get UT or other games to work..?" simple....
I take to ethernet cable out of the Sygate server.....and place it the Linksys DSL/Router.

And Let me tell you something....that shit is coming to an END when i dump BA for a provide who will
give my Static IP. Then ...and ONLY then.....will ALL (most) games work.....and i understand that Westell modem
sucks.
Should have came to this WEB site first to fine a real DSL provide. ( iNYC or AceDSL )
Still NO static IP... This PPPoE is full of crap...STAY AWAY

So......summary....If PAIN is your thing.....TRY BA.. and while your at it....TRY Uninstalling PPPoE ..then try to reinstall it.

SOLUTION:
Dumping BA.....
Getting a Static IP from a real DSL provider

Thanks for the HELL Bellatlanic
as the Robot said in LOST IN SPACE...." Danger Will Robinson...Warning ..Warning"

THE UPDATE. MAY 2003

Check this out. My friends told me Verizon has a new package of 1.5 down and 128 up for 34.95. So i called and asked if i can get the package. They said yes, but that i needed to talk to a tech the following day sometime between 8am and 1pm.... smiling i hung up the phone.

That day came and went w/o any call, so i called back and was informed that it would take up to 5 days to switch me over. I asked the agent if she noted anything in my log about the appointment i had the day before. She said yes, but it will still take up to 5 days to increase the speeds. fine i said.

Third day. I figured i'd call to find out the status. BIG MISTAKE. I was now told by the agent that i should've NEVER had DSL in the first place because i had and outstanding long distance bill dating back to 1990. That unless i pay the 300 dollar long distance bill, they would cut off my DSL asap. But, she then added i could continue to keep the DSL if i gave her a credit card number.

%#$$@ does this make any sense to anyone out there....
Of course i lost it and gave her the riot act. that didn't help any. She proceeded to try to explain that if i gave her my credit card info (and i dont own a credit card)
that the service would not be disconnect.

Now, i've been a Verizion (bellatlantic) user since at April of 2000. That's when i opened my DSL account, and they didn't say anything to me about outstanding long distance bills in disprute keeping me from having DSL. I've been paying my DSL bill on time since april 2000. Now that i want faster speeds like everyone slse is getting, now it's an issue.

Because of this im looking for another ISP

UPDATE: 2-23-2015

Im back - Lets see. All was OK since i late posted this. BUT in 2013 Verizon started using a optimizer called ASSIA that is supposed to monitor your line noise ( SNR ) and other parameters. Well guess what ? Verizon can't figure out how to optimizer the Optimizer.

Here is what is happening to me now. I'm about 7,000 feet away from the Central Office ( CO ). My SNR downstream is between 12dB and 16. This is a GOOD thing. Then one day in 2013 they increase my downstream speeds to 10mbs. BOOM. I started to get disconnected 1 to 3 times per day. Why ? Because my SNR is down to 5db. See Stats below:

SNR Stats
6dB or below noise margin is bad, it will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with little or no synch problems (if no large variation)
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

OK so Verizon an I were at it again. All they had to do was reduce my speeds to about 5 to 6 Mbs an my SNR goes up to 15dB. So they reduced my profile downstream to 5 Mbs. Guess What happened next ? The ASSIA optimizer kicked in a few week later and automatically increased my Speeds. SNR goes down, and so does my connection.

I call, get tier 1 or2 - they r totally clueless ( some are good ), after usually 40 minutes on the phone i get excalated to the CO, they reduce the speeds back to 5Mbs and SNR goes up to 15dBs, problem solved. Two weeks later ASSiA.........etc.

I connected the FTC, FCC and they contact Verizon. Verizon calls me ( Presidential appeals ) they remove me from ASSIA an that solved the issue. 3 months go by with no issues. Presidental Appeals calls me back and said " We are sorry but we have to put u back on ASSIA " I found out the ASSIA Support team over ruled the Presidential Appeals team. AH good work u dummies.

Just google ASSIA - this is a protocol for DSL companies where ASSIA somehow i thinks is vDSL. Somehow it is suppossed to allow copper wire to allow dsl to go as high as 20mbs down and 20 up. Yeh right ? This didnt work for Verizon since i'm calling in everyone 20-24 days.

This is me the ENTIRE story:
»[Connectivity] SNR and the relationship to Downstream Speed

At 2-4-2015 this is how they screwed me up even further.
Downstream Speed: 5846 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 6 dB

WTF !!!!

Dummies

Comments:

Review by onDvine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "The connection is relatively reliable"
Bad "Sometimes the modem needs to be powered off and on again to regain connection"
Overall "It works for us"

We switched from TWC's (formerly Comcast) broadband to Verizon DSL 5+ years ago because it was less expensive and friends used/recommended. No noticeable decrease in speed. ... Jan., 2015, Online DSL cost cut approx. $10/mo. by bundling w/land line.

member for 10.1 years, 4347 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pjsutton See Profile

• Location: Kempton,Berks,PA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Reliable and consistent!"
Bad "Took 2 years to get; might never see anything higher than 3 Mbps"
Overall "So much better than capped satellite or wireless; good value"

I moved to a new house at the end of summer 2012 and found that the cable stopped 1/2 mile from the house; we were too far away from Verizon's central office to receive DSL. That left us with either wireless or satellite Internet - expensive, slow, and unreliable.

Thanks to a PA state law requiring universal DSL access by the end of 2015, I was able to get my area moved up on the deployment list by having neighbors sign petitions to aggregate demand. Based on the law, the Bona Fide Retial Request (BFRR) program, I only needed to find 4 people to sign up with a commitment to DSL. The forms were submitted quickly and was told that because we were a "major" construction build, we would have to wait longer than the maximum of 12 months (per the law). After 24 months, DSL became available.

Verizon built a new, fiber-fed remote terminal about a mile from my area to serve about 20 customers. I was the first to be connected; there was a slight hiccup, but after a day the connection was made and has not dropped since.

We signed up for the 1.1-3 Mbps plan, but the installer had mentioned we would be able to handle at least the 7.1 Mbps plan. Several calls to Verizon resulted in no higher speed being available; a tech support person tested my line and said it could easily sustain 10 Mbps, and set my modem there. However, Verizon will not provide anything faster than 3 Mbps, despite my modem being able to hold a sync at the 10 Mbps rate.

So, my modem is currently syncing at 11768/1179, which is better than the standard 3360/864. At least the upload speed increased. Speed tests are consistently around 2.85 Mbps down, and right around 1 Mbps up.

I really shouldn't complain, based on how long we spent with a lousy connection. I am now able to not worry about usage caps, and several people can be online at once with no slow downs. I am able to watch YouTube videos at 720p with no problem, and at 1080p if I am the only one doing so.

I hope some day to be able to achieve something higher than 3 Mbps, but I feel it may be unlikely. But at 3 Mbps, it is certainly acceptable for moderate use.

I can't comment on price yet because it has not been updated with on my bill as of yet. But, I bundle with Freedom Essentials phone service and Directv so we receive a discount for that. The price I listed of $59 is the cost of the phone and the DSL; the Directv cost is separate and always changing, therefore I won't include it in the review.

Customer service, on the other hand, aside from the initial ordering process, has been nothing short of abysmal. Constantly transferred from one department to another. I had called to inquire about max speeds, and I was told anywhere from DSL was not available at my location, to 15 Mbps was available. And anything in between.

As for the service by the local technician and installer, the guy was incredibly nice and helpful and truly cared about us. In fact, he thanked me for going through the process of getting the remote terminal installed, and also for handing out post cards to my neighbors - because after 2 full weeks, Verizon has yet to do any kind of promotional mailings advertising that service is available. The tech also installed a whole-home POTS filter in my NID, so no micro filters were necessary. His performance was top notch.

Since the remote terminal is so new, there are some issues with the qualification database; online, it still shows DSL is not available at my location. Hopefully in due time this will be corrected, and I will at least be able to order 3.1-7 Mbps.

But, after 2 long years, I'm thankful for any reliable connection, and Verizon DSL seems to be just that. It just plain works, and does so reliably and consistently. And for that, I couldn't be happier.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that the tech was at my house for 2 hours and left without service working - there was an error in the set up somewhere and they didn't give us a PPPoE user name and password. I called tech support (which was terrible) and finally the next they called back with the ID and password. Don't know if they would have called me with that info if I hadn't called.

member for 1.7 years, 596 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nolder See Profile

• Location: Lynchburg,Lynchburg City,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Price, easy install, speed, seldom down"
Bad "none"
Overall "great over all"

I have verizon dsl for $32 a month with no long term contract. It is part of a package that includes call waiting, voice mail and long distance. It was easy to install the hardware and software. If it is ever down it doesn't stay that way long. Just received free upgrade to 1.5M/384K. Had to adjust RWIN to take advantage of upgrade. It really rocks now.

member for 13.9 years, 1238 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: North Tonawanda,Niagara,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Consistent Speeds, low latency, great uptime"
Bad "Support can be a bit of trouble when a problem is with the line, or is an unusual issue."
Overall "It's a good service to use overall, but keep in mind it is DSL."

·Frontier Communi..
I subscribe to 5Mbps/768kbps at the current time and run with a FastPath profile. The Verizon backbone has been seeing some issues as of late with other transit providers. While I'm sure this is not a Verizon issue, it's bothersome when trying to stream video or play games over the connection. I just hope things are improved soon, especially before Winter.

Overall, the DSL service has been reliable. I've had a few outages over the past 9 years, two of which were PPPoE outages, and two of which were due to fiber cuts affecting the remote terminal I feed out of. If you're fortunate enough to get a speed higher than 3Mbps, the service does have a snappy feeling to it. If you're unfortunately stuck in an area that is limited to 3Mbps or less, the service does start to feel antiquated and slow. Minus the note I have above about the backbone and peering issues that have been plaguing both DSL and FiOS, the service works as expected. I get my speeds consistently, day and night, games work well, and 1080p HD Streaming (Netflix, YouTube, etc) is possible with the level of service I am receiving. That's about all that is to this review. It just works.

Besides the connection itself, most of the problems I have run into were administrative issues on Verizon's end. While I have yet to run into billing issues, I have come across plenty of technical issues which Verizon has fallen short on resolving in some cases. A prime example is a problem which I'm continuing to troubleshoot as of this review. Since late July, after a heavy thunderstorm crashed through the area, my DSL connection has been plagued with an intermittent "Sync-no-surf" issue. In essence, the modem shows it is synchronized and my router is holding a PPPoE session, but I have a heavy amount of packet loss on the connection. The modem shows a high level of noise when this happens. During troubleshooting, I supplied all of the troubleshooting information I have produced to Verizon, indicating I have tried different supported modems which work, checked Transceiver Statistics and landline voice quality, and have inspected all wiring inside of my home and in the NID. I even provided information on problems even my neighbors started to have with their services after that storm.

When troubleshooting began, Verizon's automated testing began to cause provisioning issues on my connection. Since I am on a Litespan remote and happen to be getting 5M service, I am also tied into a Juniper edge router. For me to have properly working service, the provisioning had to be set up a certain way. The automated system, against my warnings to Verizon, went through and made changes which resulted in the line being nearly unusable. A video of how unusable the service was, is posted below. In addition, my speed was also turned way down, with the belief that the problem was due to my speed being set too high. Unfortunately, I also told them this was not the problem, and got the speed turned right back up the next day. Lastly, I was sent a new modem, an ActionTec GT784WNV, which despite being a good piece of hardware, suffers from firmware issues which promptly caused me to retire the modem into storage. Two primary functions of the router, the DHCP Daemon and the WLAN daemon, were found memory leaking despite all efforts to resolve the leaking issue, and this as a result caused the gateway to crash and reboot anywhere from 12 hours, to five days later.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-I4AGZO ··· 4AGZO1Zc

For now, troubleshooting continues on the line. I've managed to get my provisioning reset to where it was last was before the support started after taking that problem away from support's hands and into my hands (took me 10 minutes vs support's 4 days), and Verizon has started sending line technicians out to check the line after much insistence and scolding. Some improvements of my line have come out of these visits, and I feel support is now on the right track, but I am bummed out that I had to do a lot of educating/explaining as to why XYZ process is not proper troubleshooting, from the perspective of a SysAdmin/NetAdmin to a telephone company/ISP. I am also a bit bummed that I had to be the one to coordinate some of the fixes, that otherwise, didn't need the customer's help besides feedback as to whether or not the problem is solved. In the past, I certainly don't remember support being this bad, where I've thrown other oddball issues at them and have gotten results in hours. That's why I'm not completely docking the support rating in this review, but it is something Verizon should work to improve on.

But support issues aside, the Verizon DSL service has been working fine, and I hope it continues this way. I am looking forward to getting the FiOS, or another Fiber service when that becomes available.

member for 7.1 years, 4045 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NJank See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "In a bundle with phoneline, it's what I need for a low cost"
Bad "line issues (slow, dead, etc) once a year or so, and then very pushy sales for FIOS until they 'fix' it."
Overall "best option for the dollar, if you don't mind them bugging you about fios every time you talk to them."

Have had the lowest tier DSL for about 10 years. Not a heavy net user, and it more than does the job. Started out when it was the "$15/month 768/128 DSL" they gradually upped it to 1/0.5 over the years. Recently reordered in a bundle with Regional Essentials plan, so now it's $40 for both DSL and landline. Was on a stardard Westell 6100 for years.

They rolled FIOS out here about 3-5 years ago. Since then, I've had reps at my door and on the phone. None blatantly lying about need to upgrade, but they were close. Have had issues with the line connectivity on and off over about the same timeline. Twice was able to solve with the Verizon support here at DSLReports. Both time, it was a 'configuration issue at the office'. Both times, had techs out tell me how they're not sure they can fix it, that "old copper's going bad", but if I switched to fiber all would be well. Waited it out, sure enough they fixed the problem.

When things work, they're fine. Right now, I've been getting intermittent 600-2000ms pings. guess it's time for a call...

member for 6.5 years, 91 visits, last login: a few hours ago