Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by pjsutton See Profile

• Location: Kempton,Berks,PA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Reliable and consistent!"
Bad "Took 2 years to get; might never see anything higher than 3 Mbps"
Overall "So much better than capped satellite or wireless; good value"

I moved to a new house at the end of summer 2012 and found that the cable stopped 1/2 mile from the house; we were too far away from Verizon's central office to receive DSL. That left us with either wireless or satellite Internet - expensive, slow, and unreliable.

Thanks to a PA state law requiring universal DSL access by the end of 2015, I was able to get my area moved up on the deployment list by having neighbors sign petitions to aggregate demand. Based on the law, the Bona Fide Retial Request (BFRR) program, I only needed to find 4 people to sign up with a commitment to DSL. The forms were submitted quickly and was told that because we were a "major" construction build, we would have to wait longer than the maximum of 12 months (per the law). After 24 months, DSL became available.

Verizon built a new, fiber-fed remote terminal about a mile from my area to serve about 20 customers. I was the first to be connected; there was a slight hiccup, but after a day the connection was made and has not dropped since.

We signed up for the 1.1-3 Mbps plan, but the installer had mentioned we would be able to handle at least the 7.1 Mbps plan. Several calls to Verizon resulted in no higher speed being available; a tech support person tested my line and said it could easily sustain 10 Mbps, and set my modem there. However, Verizon will not provide anything faster than 3 Mbps, despite my modem being able to hold a sync at the 10 Mbps rate.

So, my modem is currently syncing at 11768/1179, which is better than the standard 3360/864. At least the upload speed increased. Speed tests are consistently around 2.85 Mbps down, and right around 1 Mbps up.

I really shouldn't complain, based on how long we spent with a lousy connection. I am now able to not worry about usage caps, and several people can be online at once with no slow downs. I am able to watch YouTube videos at 720p with no problem, and at 1080p if I am the only one doing so.

I hope some day to be able to achieve something higher than 3 Mbps, but I feel it may be unlikely. But at 3 Mbps, it is certainly acceptable for moderate use.

I can't comment on price yet because it has not been updated with on my bill as of yet. But, I bundle with Freedom Essentials phone service and Directv so we receive a discount for that. The price I listed of $59 is the cost of the phone and the DSL; the Directv cost is separate and always changing, therefore I won't include it in the review.

Customer service, on the other hand, aside from the initial ordering process, has been nothing short of abysmal. Constantly transferred from one department to another. I had called to inquire about max speeds, and I was told anywhere from DSL was not available at my location, to 15 Mbps was available. And anything in between.

As for the service by the local technician and installer, the guy was incredibly nice and helpful and truly cared about us. In fact, he thanked me for going through the process of getting the remote terminal installed, and also for handing out post cards to my neighbors - because after 2 full weeks, Verizon has yet to do any kind of promotional mailings advertising that service is available. The tech also installed a whole-home POTS filter in my NID, so no micro filters were necessary. His performance was top notch.

Since the remote terminal is so new, there are some issues with the qualification database; online, it still shows DSL is not available at my location. Hopefully in due time this will be corrected, and I will at least be able to order 3.1-7 Mbps.

But, after 2 long years, I'm thankful for any reliable connection, and Verizon DSL seems to be just that. It just plain works, and does so reliably and consistently. And for that, I couldn't be happier.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that the tech was at my house for 2 hours and left without service working - there was an error in the set up somewhere and they didn't give us a PPPoE user name and password. I called tech support (which was terrible) and finally the next they called back with the ID and password. Don't know if they would have called me with that info if I hadn't called.

member for 1.4 years, 424 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by nolder See Profile

• Location: Lynchburg,Lynchburg City,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Price, easy install, speed, seldom down"
Bad "none"
Overall "great over all"

I have verizon dsl for $32 a month with no long term contract. It is part of a package that includes call waiting, voice mail and long distance. It was easy to install the hardware and software. If it is ever down it doesn't stay that way long. Just received free upgrade to 1.5M/384K. Had to adjust RWIN to take advantage of upgrade. It really rocks now.

member for 13.6 years, 1148 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: North Tonawanda,Niagara,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Consistent Speeds, low latency, great uptime"
Bad "Support can be a bit of trouble when a problem is with the line, or is an unusual issue."
Overall "It's a good service to use overall, but keep in mind it is DSL."

·Frontier Communi..
I subscribe to 5Mbps/768kbps at the current time and run with a FastPath profile. The Verizon backbone has been seeing some issues as of late with other transit providers. While I'm sure this is not a Verizon issue, it's bothersome when trying to stream video or play games over the connection. I just hope things are improved soon, especially before Winter.

Overall, the DSL service has been reliable. I've had a few outages over the past 9 years, two of which were PPPoE outages, and two of which were due to fiber cuts affecting the remote terminal I feed out of. If you're fortunate enough to get a speed higher than 3Mbps, the service does have a snappy feeling to it. If you're unfortunately stuck in an area that is limited to 3Mbps or less, the service does start to feel antiquated and slow. Minus the note I have above about the backbone and peering issues that have been plaguing both DSL and FiOS, the service works as expected. I get my speeds consistently, day and night, games work well, and 1080p HD Streaming (Netflix, YouTube, etc) is possible with the level of service I am receiving. That's about all that is to this review. It just works.

Besides the connection itself, most of the problems I have run into were administrative issues on Verizon's end. While I have yet to run into billing issues, I have come across plenty of technical issues which Verizon has fallen short on resolving in some cases. A prime example is a problem which I'm continuing to troubleshoot as of this review. Since late July, after a heavy thunderstorm crashed through the area, my DSL connection has been plagued with an intermittent "Sync-no-surf" issue. In essence, the modem shows it is synchronized and my router is holding a PPPoE session, but I have a heavy amount of packet loss on the connection. The modem shows a high level of noise when this happens. During troubleshooting, I supplied all of the troubleshooting information I have produced to Verizon, indicating I have tried different supported modems which work, checked Transceiver Statistics and landline voice quality, and have inspected all wiring inside of my home and in the NID. I even provided information on problems even my neighbors started to have with their services after that storm.

When troubleshooting began, Verizon's automated testing began to cause provisioning issues on my connection. Since I am on a Litespan remote and happen to be getting 5M service, I am also tied into a Juniper edge router. For me to have properly working service, the provisioning had to be set up a certain way. The automated system, against my warnings to Verizon, went through and made changes which resulted in the line being nearly unusable. A video of how unusable the service was, is posted below. In addition, my speed was also turned way down, with the belief that the problem was due to my speed being set too high. Unfortunately, I also told them this was not the problem, and got the speed turned right back up the next day. Lastly, I was sent a new modem, an ActionTec GT784WNV, which despite being a good piece of hardware, suffers from firmware issues which promptly caused me to retire the modem into storage. Two primary functions of the router, the DHCP Daemon and the WLAN daemon, were found memory leaking despite all efforts to resolve the leaking issue, and this as a result caused the gateway to crash and reboot anywhere from 12 hours, to five days later.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-I4AGZO1Zc

For now, troubleshooting continues on the line. I've managed to get my provisioning reset to where it was last was before the support started after taking that problem away from support's hands and into my hands (took me 10 minutes vs support's 4 days), and Verizon has started sending line technicians out to check the line after much insistence and scolding. Some improvements of my line have come out of these visits, and I feel support is now on the right track, but I am bummed out that I had to do a lot of educating/explaining as to why XYZ process is not proper troubleshooting, from the perspective of a SysAdmin/NetAdmin to a telephone company/ISP. I am also a bit bummed that I had to be the one to coordinate some of the fixes, that otherwise, didn't need the customer's help besides feedback as to whether or not the problem is solved. In the past, I certainly don't remember support being this bad, where I've thrown other oddball issues at them and have gotten results in hours. That's why I'm not completely docking the support rating in this review, but it is something Verizon should work to improve on.

But support issues aside, the Verizon DSL service has been working fine, and I hope it continues this way. I am looking forward to getting the FiOS, or another Fiber service when that becomes available.

member for 6.8 years, 3893 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by NJank See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "In a bundle with phoneline, it's what I need for a low cost"
Bad "line issues (slow, dead, etc) once a year or so, and then very pushy sales for FIOS until they 'fix' it."
Overall "best option for the dollar, if you don't mind them bugging you about fios every time you talk to them."

Have had the lowest tier DSL for about 10 years. Not a heavy net user, and it more than does the job. Started out when it was the "$15/month 768/128 DSL" they gradually upped it to 1/0.5 over the years. Recently reordered in a bundle with Regional Essentials plan, so now it's $40 for both DSL and landline. Was on a stardard Westell 6100 for years.

They rolled FIOS out here about 3-5 years ago. Since then, I've had reps at my door and on the phone. None blatantly lying about need to upgrade, but they were close. Have had issues with the line connectivity on and off over about the same timeline. Twice was able to solve with the Verizon support here at DSLReports. Both time, it was a 'configuration issue at the office'. Both times, had techs out tell me how they're not sure they can fix it, that "old copper's going bad", but if I switched to fiber all would be well. Waited it out, sure enough they fixed the problem.

When things work, they're fine. Right now, I've been getting intermittent 600-2000ms pings. guess it's time for a call...

Comments:

Review by Bigbluis See Profile

• Location: Hemet,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good speed, when it goes down, is restored quickly with no call to support."
Bad "nothing really bad to report"
Overall "Service has improved since I last had it 5 years ago."

Ordered online 1 week before moving in. Install process went smoothly, 1 day after moving in. Ordered enhanced service, 3.1-7 Mbps, and mostly get that speed. Adequate for all my devices (desktop computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone, wireless printer). Only problem is speed not always fast enough for on-demand streaming to tv satellite box. Most of the time the speed is adequate, usually get 2.2 - 3.5 Mbps down.

Comments:

Review by wiggie116 See Profile

• Location: Pittsfield,Berkshire,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Works well once all the bugs are worked out."
Bad "Hard to speak with someone in the States (by phone). took over a month to get congestion issues fixed "
Overall "Was a decent value until price increase. Its very dependable now, always get the same 6.50-6.8 downs and .76 up. "

Decent service. Overall a B+ hopping for an RT upgrade to ADSL2+ which I'm told is in the process now by the construction crew down the road... They have been pulling/replacing new fiber underground through the man hole covers for the last 3 weeks. its not fios unfortunately . They need a video head first, according to VZ techs

Edit: $61.00 is for phone and internet.

Edit: 8-18-2014

I called into BIG RED about my bill increasing to $61.0 after taxes, surprisingly they agreed to my original price of 45.99 with HSI enhanced (3.1-7 M/Bits per second) and regional calling. Connections is still very reliable. Internets only been down when my power goes out. I am increasing my rating thanks to my connection, reliability, and my last few phone calls with customer service.

member for 1.1 years, 480 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by inxane See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it works, it works well, good value too."
Bad "When it doesn't work, calling them is useless, use bbr/dslr to get things worked out"
Overall "Support is okay if you know where to look, connection is up for most of the year"

I considered Comcast, but all my friends all had horror stories about the support.

I ordered the 1.5/386 initially, and upgraded to the 3/768 plan.

The order and install process went without a hitch.

The supplied equipment was a westell 327w, which failed a few years after installation.

The only bad experience I had was a constant unsync, that Verizon blamed on squirrels. Ya I'm nuts!

EDIT: 8 Years in and service has been more or less stable over that time. on the 15/768 plan in 2014 and a new modem to solve some connectivity issues. Overall happy with the service.

Comments:

Review by therube See Profile

• Location: Catonsville,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good Price. Good Speed. Works."
Bad "None."
Overall "Works. Reliable. Inexpensive."

Small business.

Simple needs. Simply something faster then dialup.

Actually ordered the service via Dell "Internet".

Price is right, $30. (A bit less actually cause it is tied in with Verizon Freedom For Business that we have on one of our lines).

Install kit came with a Westell wireless modem/router. It was one of the "bad" Westell's, though there have been no problems with it. We don't use wireless.

Service was active prior to the "service ready" date.

Speeds, 1.5/384 are alway consistant, & are sufficient for our needs.

Dynamic IP. PPPoE. I had no need to set anything up here in my office, cause I simply entered my existing UN/PW that I use at home (Verizon DSL also) into the router.

Have had no need for "customer service". Have had no problems.

It just plain works, works reliably, & is priced competitively.

---

Don't know when the above was posted other then long ago, but this is today: 08/14/2014.

Anyhow, & as I'm sure with all types of service, when it works, it works & is fine.
When it doesn't, customer "service" or "support" sucks.
They may or may not get it right. Or maybe eventually.

And that's about the way things have panned out.
We could go for months with no issues & then one day we'll have continual drops. And you call, & at the moment you call, so "all is OK". But then 2 minutes later it drops & so you call again. And they come out & do this or that. Or the make a change in the CO. And maybe they get it. Or maybe they'll have to come out again & again & finally get it.

And that's the way it has always been.

Periods when it just works, & then a day here, a day there where it goes to pot.
Lines, CO, modem/router changes. Yet at the end of the day, overall it makes no difference. Either it works or it doesn't. And no one "thing" fixes everything & there is no permanent fix. Only that it works... until the next time.

Overall though, no problems, considering.

And again, my feeling is regardless of the service type or from whom, everyone see's the same.
When it works it works & when it doesn't, "service" & "support" suck.

Speed, 1.5 - 3 Mbps, depending, has always been "adequate" for our needs. Last time tech had been out, he says, "oh, you really need to get FIOS". So we inquire about it - not a particularly easy task, but eventually they tell us it is available. So, price? And at the same time, we call Comcast for their pricing (both would be for Telephone & Internet).

And guess what.
Comcast comes in with better pricing & a better package. FIOS essentially comes in with faster speed, but no other benefits - like unlimited calling & long distance include. So after 40 years with (C & P, Bell Atlantic) Verizon, we said goodbye & now have Comcast.

And after of few days of Comcast service... all of a sudden, I'm not loading websites. And someone else says the phone lines aren't working. But it righted itself in a manner of minutes. Totally expected. Or at least I'd expect such things. (Others did not.) And Comcast got the billing wrong, of course. So had to call & get that straightened out. (Time will tell about that?)

When it works it works & when it doesn't. I don't expect more, or less.

member for 10.1 years, 2418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by onDvine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "The connection has been reliable"
Bad "Occasionally the modem needs to be powered off and on again"
Overall "We're satisfied with it"

We switched from Time Warner Cable's (formerly Comcast) broadband to Verizon DSL 5+ years ago because it was less expensive and friends used/recommended. There was no noticeable decrease in speed.

member for 9.8 years, 4225 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by larry2617 See Profile

• Location: Hardy,Franklin,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "steady reliable service"
Bad "tech support needs work"
Overall "good reliable service for the money"

wish they would get better speeds but shouldn't complain had dial-up until 2 years ago.they are the only ones that provide service to this area besides dial-up/satellite service.

still cannot get upgraded to faster speed everyone i talk to about it (including dsl reports) just states that faster speed isn't available no reason why.read on forums that my numbers should qualify for 3.0 and to call verizon dsl and request upgrade they say it is not available but no reason for it

Still no upgrades numbers from modem say less than 12000 ft verizon says more than 17500 ft cannot get them to upgrade their numbers database so I have basically given up on new speeds until something better comes along still beats dial-up.Update Finally got up to 3.0 about 10 months ago seems to be steady now.wish someone would come along with something better