AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by oneirodyne See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Nothing except perhaps that you are not legally mandated to do business with them - yet."
Bad "Wretchedly slow, zero customer service, total contempt for their subscribers."
Overall "RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN"

I've had DSL for 10+ years at this location, first with Bellsouth, then through AT&T. With Bellsouth, speeds got faster over time. First I had 1.5Mbps, then 3 then 6 and it was a solid 6Mbps connection, With AT&T. I'm paying for 6Mbps service and now getting 2 or LESS. Speed keeps dropping. They announce caps. They put in new equipment, speed gets even worse??? Must be all the spying they do. Worst company ever.

Comments:

David

Can I help?

can we or I help?

Gilitar

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

I'm with you

I have had the same experience with AT&T. My DSL keeps going out due to their old crappy fiber to the curb system that they refuse to replace. I am actually pondering alternative internet service such as satellite. Yeah AT&T sucks!!!
b3chill

join:2013-01-17
·AT&T DSL Service

Another dissatisfied customer

If there were any alternatives to AT&T where I live I would walk away without ever looking back. Yes the tech is old, but that is not the complete problem, tech support that does not listen and tells you that your speed is fine at 0.54 Mbps download when I pay for 6.0 Mbps. Old hardware that if replaced would fix the problem (told to me by the tech that came out to work on our neighborhood gateway) Basically if AT&T TRIED at all to improve their service I could deal with 6.0, as is when I move I will make sure never to use them again. One more customer lost forever, when will they learn...

Review by sbken See Profile

• Location: Etowah,Henderson,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Down time is usually short and relatively infrequent"
Bad "Quality is equal to third-world and not about to get any better!"
Overall "ATT gets steadily worse. Their goal is to grow and increase their bottom line."

Several years ago I agreed to participate in a international ISP project called SamKnows. You can search for that organization using any search engine. They still may be accepting volunteers. SamKnows supplies a Router (mine is a Netgear WNR3500L) free of charge and they continuously monitor my internet connection. BTW: I do NOT have any privacy concerns with this organization. In response to an email from me I received the following email from SamKnows a short while ago that states, in part, the following:

"As for the data, I don't think it entirely reflects a high quality and usable connection. Looking at your packet loss statistics you percentage is frequently over 1% and hit over 0.75% a good amount of the time. This means that 1 in every 100 packets of data you request are not getting to you. you would notice this most in stuttery voip calls and streamed video. In extreme cases you might get websites failing to load.

Your average ping is in the high 90's with an expected ping on an average connection being around 20ms. Your ping has gotten as high as 938ms in some cases. The website load test is a real world test of the effects of these and it shows that you sometimes wait up to 25 seconds for a page to load which is a massive indication of poor usability. You would expect this to be way below 1 second.

It is would be reasonable to approach your ISP with this data in order to demonstrate the problem. Please bear in mind that if this is due to poor external infrastructure there may be a limited amount they can do in the short term."

I should add that ATT/Bellsouth admits my connection speed has been capped because their equipment is overloaded and added that they have no plans to upgrade the equipment in the foreseeable future. My only option for Internet connection is ATT. No other providers are available in my area and I am too remote to get cable service.

Whenever I've experienced connectivity problems they encourage me to buy an replacement DSL Modem/Router from them since my ATT-supplied 2Wire 2701HG-B is over two years old and they recommend replacing Modems over two years old. (?) Besides, they no long support their 2Wire!

Note: My ATT/Bellsouth maximum possible internet speed is: 1536/384 which is never achieved. They openly state that the listed speed is a goal, not a actual promised speed.

member for 12.1 years, 95 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Ruggero See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Give me a break!"
Bad "It's not that difficult to figure out"
Overall "In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal"

Another case ripped from AT&T. We unfortunately have come to expect this sort of behavior from AT&T. elcuco review documents a pattern, same difference. If you want to read his/hers at »Review of AT&T Southeast by elcuco

Please read this as you should be informed of the treatment AT&T inflicts upon an elderly couple suffering with Congestive heart disease. The documented facts are indisputable:

In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal. It's not that difficult to figure out. The question is will we have the intestinal fortitude to act on behalf of these people or sit by and watch.

Notwithstanding aforesaid reprehensible treatment, the mindset of AT&T and their employees is lackadaisical and dangerous. There was absolutely no reason for trained technicians to not find a Bridge Tap earlier than three months while customer paid for 3.0 Mbps during that time.

AT&T agreement for one year of DSL $14.95 3.0 Mbps

Customer pays for 3.0 Mbps but only gets 1.5 Mbps, and that's after the three months it took the trained technicians to find the Bridge Tap

On or about the ninth month, customer discovers a substantial rate hike of $49 on their bill not specified in the contract. AT&T alleged one calendar year elapsed notwithstanding the three months customer paid for services AT&T failed to rendered.

AT&T failed to reimburse customer the modem purchase price pursuant to contract notwithstanding the customers written and verbal requests and assurances from an AT&T supervisor.

AT&T is dropping the elderly customers speed daily, sometimes multiple times a day. The speed never goes up ONLY DOWN!

What started as speeds of 1.5 Mbps is now ONLY .74 Mbps (point seventy four).

Again, Current speed is under POINT SEVENTY FOUR .74 Mbps and DROPPING

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesn’t go by when there isn’t an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

»AT&T Will Detail the Fate of Its DSL Users Nov. 7
»AT&T Fails to Sell Aging DSL Markets, May Upgrade

Comments:
wirelessdog

Seriously?

I you don't like the service cancel it. Abuse? You've got to be kidding me.
Expand your moderator at work
Ruggero

join:2012-08-10
·AT&T Southeast

Re: Seriously?

Avoid looking like a paid patsy, a mouthpiece for AT&T. Many of us have been reading your other replies wirelessdog.

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesnt go by when there isnt an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

Re: Seriously?

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I'm not saying they are not providing bad service - they may well be. What I am saying is, it isn't "abuse" as you put it. Cancel the account and move on to a different provider.

From what I gather with this review you are posting for someone else. Care to clarify?

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by wirelessdog:

That's the same questions I have been asking. If you read it, it typically doesn't meet an individual service review. That's the whole point behind the review. I kept thinking it's against DSLR's policy to use reviews for advertizing (cruzio comes to mind) or handbilling of potentially political issues. Now had he talked about individual service that would have been a different story, but so far I see nothing to indicate this was individual service.

As far as speed drops, probably a sync problem. Most people here realize that DSL is sold in speed tiers with a minimum and a maximum speed. Since you have a MODEM the DSLAM and the MODEM will negotiate for the best possible speed based on tones it recieves (think large faster dial-up modem negotiation). Now if those tones do not add up to the full speed, of course you get less. Just like you did when you dialed up expecting 53kbps instead you got 28.8. DSL isn't much different except it does it on a larger scale and you don't have to have a dial tone on your line, and not dialing a number.

For instance, let's take just the profile of "express" for 13 state.

that profile has a minimum of 384/128 sync.
It has a maximum of 1536/384.
Now, in a perfect world, where cabling is perfect and no one was over 1000ft from a Central office or Remote terminal you would get 1536/384.

Fact is people live many different distances from the Central office or Remote terminal. One person might be living with the remote right in their back yard, another person might be living up to 2 miles away from the same remote. I don't expect the guy living 2 miles from the service terminal to get 6mbps at over 11000ft. I would expect him to get 6mbps at 1000ft. There is a large difference between both distances.

Even internal wiring in the house can play a role in distance. I saw one case I had once where the old 4 prong wiring added what I see is 10,000ft of resistance to a line. It was barely hanging on to 384/128 while the rest of the neighbors had 3mbps (some even had 6!) While this might look as discrimination, it's nothing more than wiring in a premise problem. Since 1984, the wiring in a home belongs to the end user/homeowner and never was at&t's responsibility after that. That seems to be forgotten quite often by homeowners. Just recently I heard today that in some newer homes they are not even putting in phone jacks anymore. Today it's just ethernet jacks with ethernet wiring ran to them.

If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Seriously?

We have a wholesale agreement with most carriers to resell service. I don't think I have ever sold an AT&T account but it comes to mind they aren't like Verizon. When you run the prequalification it comes up with a speed range IIRC. That is probably for a reason.

Review by mitchell See Profile

• Location: Darlington,Darlington,SC
Good "I've been on ATT/Bellsouth since 2002"
Bad "email via Yahoo is a joke.."
Overall "Great bang for my buck!!!"

I have been checking Fastaccess.com for over a year to see if I qualified for xDSL. I finally was!. I was so excited until the install date was in November 2002. I had a long face for a few days. BS called one day and said my due date was changed to October 2002, I felt better and started reading BroadbandReports.com.

In August 2002, I saw the DSL installer at my local (>>

So a day or two later I;m ticked and was realyl upset as the IP connection is a major part of my families lifestyle (streaming video, news, netflix, surfing etc) so I saw that Time Warner (wash my mouth with soap) wsa running a triple play promotion, so I asked several coworkers who were already customers and the assured me that the TW has gotten some better over the years but to watch the bills close.

I made the move to TW and I happy so far. I have HDcable, Phone and IP for less than what I was paying for Phone and IP alone plus I was paying almost $80 for Driectv with no locals and no HD...or HD DVR...I am happy and I have no contract...

Bottom line? Thanks ATT you've been good, but when you purchased Bellsouth and ran off the great folks from Bellsouth, you now have become another terrible company to deal with. Bye.

Comments:

Review by elcuco See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "my phone line is pots, had phone after katrina & wilma hit"
Bad "I pay for 1.5 mbps & never get that download speed, have to keep calling customer service & requesting to check my service."
Overall "they are forcing you to buy uverse service."

none, didnt want comcast, tried aol for a while before dsl came out. had the 3 mbps dsl, then they came out with uverse and they told me i could no longer get the 3 meg dsl, downgraded to 1.5 meg, but have never gotten the speed i pay for.
have the netgear versalink b90.
Easy to pay for service on line.

Comments:
dianasatyr

join:2008-12-13
Baton Rouge, LA

They're forcing us to buy uverse service

That could be why my dsl service from Louisiana AT&T has gradually become rotten over the last year. It's speed measures the specified number of near 6 mb/sec., but the download of web pages is increasingly slow, and NetFlix streams that start out OK or poor often degrade to even worse over time.

I've been testing my dsl connection for latency, packet loss, and (I think) latency jitter with SmokePing, available here. I get some pretty ugly graphs from noon to around 9pm every day.

If anyone out there cares to comment on what SmokePing actually measures, I would be grateful. I've yet to see a clear explanation of SmokePing provided by this site (Or findable with a Google search, even!)

ATThater

@bellsouth.net

Re: They're forcing us to buy uverse service

I am in your same boat, the only difference is that I am in Florida.
dianasatyr

join:2008-12-13
Baton Rouge, LA

Re: They're forcing us to buy uverse service

Thanks. I had no clue what was going on 'til I looked here. I'm switching to cable. I could be wrong though. I could still try complaining to AT&T and they might fix it. Have you tried that?

Review by jfinch1 See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "37.50 for 1meg k/bits, I guess that's a plus?"
Bad "Not the fastest broadband, Bellsouth support was head over heals better than AT&T. AT&T support is the worst I've experienced"
Overall "I think AT&T wants out of the internet business, support is almost non-existant."

UPDATE April 15, 2012. The line tech showed up at my house today, turns out a rodent had ate one of the 2 wires into in the junction box, that feeds my house. Service has been restored. The line-tech also informed me that the fellow AT&T sent on Friday was an indoor tech, which was a waste of time, since I had informed them I had tested the line at the NID. Anyway, 8 days after contacting them, I have DSL.

Update April 14, 2012 Got my daily Robo-call at 5 informing me they didn't fix the problem and that I have a new appointment for Monday at 8am.

UPDATE April 13, 2012. Alrighty. The tech came out today, checked the line at the NID and informed me that I wasn't getting a DSL signal, and he's turning it in to a higher-up. What he found isn't really true, my modem syncs up at a slow 223K/bits, if you wait 15mins or so for it to do it. At 5:45, I got a robo-call from AT&T telling me they were sorry they missed my appointment, but they would have things fixed between 8-5 on Saturday. We'll see.

UPDATE: April 12, 2012: Well that's interesting, it was 2 years ago almost to the day since my last ordeal with AT&T DSL. Last Thursday, a week ago, my Westel 6100 modem lost sync at 5:30pm and was down most of the evening. Normally it syncs around 1200k/bits Well, when it came back up on Friday my download was syncing at 223k/bits and my upload was 384k/bits. I called AT&T Saturday, explained to them I don't have phone service, and that the DSL line into the house was a straight run from the NID (cat 6) and that I have 2 different westel modems and they were both running slow. The foreign lady said they would have someone out Thursday, a whole week after the trouble had started. Thursday rolled around, I took the afternoon off for my 1-6pm appointment. Around 4pm I got to wondering where the tech was, and called to see if he was coming. I was informed he had already been out, and there was no problem with my line. I was not happy. I went ahead and ran a cord out the window to my NID (which still had spiderwebs around it, proving no one had been out), and sure enough, my sync speed was still crawling at 223k/bits. I called AT&T back to let them know my problems were NOT resolved. Chloe informed me that Tyrone would have a line truck to my house before 6pm and that they would call to verify that the tech had been by. No Truck, No Call. I wasted 4 hours of leave from work and missed a dinner date and still had crawling DSL. I called back at 8pm, got an American named Joey who said he would send a truck Friday between 1-6pm and that they would call at 5:30 to verify my DSL was working. I let him know I couldn't be off work again, but since the problem was outside of the house, I would be looking for their phone call.

I am so over AT&T, they have totally ruined the former Bellsouth.

UPDATE: April 12, 2010: As you can see below, I dropped my phone service on March 19th but kept my DSL Ultra service. I got the bill today. It was $72 instead of the expected ~$38. Nicole from AT&T Internet explained to me that since I made a change in my service, they changed my billing period. In the past, I was billed for the month I had just been through, but NOW since I dropped my phone I am being billed for the month in advance. SO, they charged me for 2 months of DSL in this bill. Good ol AT&T, they'll get ya one way or the other.

----

I've been on DSL ultra for over 10 years, with speeds from 880k download to finally 1.2 meg download. Yesterday I called to finally turn off my AT&T phone service, because my monthly bill for phone and DSL had climbed to $82 a month and I already had a cellphone.

My Connection has been pretty stable on the whole for many years, except for last year, the speed would drastically drop on either really hot days or when there was a home football game. Either way, it would be in the around 150k. The last time a tech was out here (about a year ago) he told me to never bother with trying to get a 3meg connection, because of my distance from the CO. Well, while having my phone turned off yesterday, I let Debra talk me into trying the 3meg service. It didn't work. My modem (Westell 6100) couldn't keep a connection. This morning the field tech came out and checked the wiring and told me what I tried to tell Debra, my home is too far from the CO, we have to drop you back to 1.5meg service. Anyway, I'm up and running again, but I have to wait to business hours to call billing and get them to fix my bill. (see update)

Over all, AT&T is very friendly and fast to try to correct service problems, but the online help isn't near as good as their field techs.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

if you still have problems

Hit us up.

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "I Receive 90% of My Purchased Speeds"
Bad "Still Pricey, Poor Value for Price. TERRIBLE SERVICE!"
Overall "It's OK...For Now..."

·DIRECTV
1/2012: Gone to U-verse...I know, I know, it's oranges for oranges, but if the speeds are faster and they have a good promotional offer, what is there to lose? I better be careful, because I am talking about AT&T...

11/2011: MAJOR outage in the southeast today, and after 6 hours, I called tech support. I spoke with a rep, whose native language wasn't American English, who repeated everything I said back to me. Try having any conversation this way, much less tech support questions. They just zeroed out their service rating as of today, and may even accomplish what I thought was the impossible...chasing me back to Comcrap!

8/2011: After 8 months streaming Netflix and using VOIP, my wireless gateway failed (wireless only). AT&T replaced at no charge, but only with a disconnect threat. A Motorola Surfboard with Comcast will look pretty good after the promotional price has ended.

12/2010: Dry line DSL up and running, self-installed, cancelled service call, and home phone number ported to Vonage cutting my total bill in half. Netflix is streaming HD ok, but I will always be on the scope for a new service offer...my relationship with AT&T is hanging by a thread.

11/2010: I called back at opening time, 7 am on the dot, got right through. The rep apologized, said she was unable to login to her computer (why did she answer, then...maybe she should get to work a little earlier). She promised to call me back, but I wouldn't be fooled, and I have call waiting, so I dialed right back, and waited another few hours. That's it, I called back to DSL to disconnect my service, and got right through...who knew! I requested a dry line DSL connection, accepted a save offer to keep me from cable, and will cancel my home phone once the order is processed...no more AT&T home phone, I've HAD IT!

11/2010: I called customer service twice today. After waiting on hold for 2 hours and 45 minutes the first call, I began to think to myself "surely my call was lost somewhere, they can't be this busy", so I hung up and called back. I fell asleep 1 hour and 30 minutes into the second call (thank goodness for speakerphone!). This level of service, regardless of the reason, is completely UNACCEPTABLE.

3/2007: No noticeable downtime, constant speeds, no complaints other that value vs. cable internet. I recently upgraded my modem, noticed a noise profile, requested removal, and was taken care of right away. My ping is about half of what it was before, no transmission loss, and slightly faster speeds. Can't complain.

Comments:

Review by Sarentack See Profile

• Location: Lumberton,Lamar,MS
Good "AT&T DSL services have decent speeds and reliability"
Bad "Speeds do not go high enough."
Overall "Probably one of the top 5 ISPs out there."

·CableOne
I had the DSL Extreme 6 from AT&T and it was highly reliable where it never went down, it was a solid connection around the clock, quick speeds that rarely ever fluctuated any, Ive had many services and believe AT&T DSL service ranks as top 5 if not top 3 ISPs out there with the top ISPs being some of the local cable ISPs out there that can offer way more for the same price.

What I hated is AT&T seems to not improve on speeds by going any higher than 6 MBPS. The upload speed for me was 512 KBPS which was too low IMO.

One of the the biggest downsides to establishing service with AT&T though that made me steer clear of ordering service from them a 2nd time was the $100 prepayment thats non refundable in order to get $20 internet service from them, I was desperate but not desperate enough just to pay them $100 because I have no credit history. I think its stupid and causes them to lose many customers by doing this.

member for 6.2 years, 143 visits, last login: 1 year ago

• Location: Lugoff,Kershaw,SC
Good "Local Tech"
Bad "DSL Tech Support is too far removed from the issues of last mile copper."
Overall "If your time is worth more than vague promos, go w/o AT&T."

*Pre Sales information*: misleading
*Install Co-ordination*: varies
*Connection reliability*: if it had only been reliable..
*Tech Support*: POTS and DSL go hand in hand but unfortunately neither
take ownership
*Services*: If you can convince the Help Desk to dispatched; your
friendly neighborhood ATT tech is of good cheer but after going half way
round the world...you're miserable.
*Value for money*: Since promo's and gimmicks are the rule for
attracting new business, one can not place a value based on money, since
my time is valuable, and since ATT does not value my time, there is no
value to ATT

I have in my possession 3 old DSL modems. Two Westell 6100 cicra 2005
and One Westell circa 2002.
I had upgrades along the course of my 10 years of service w/ a basic
phone line.
I had a grandfathered static IP 65.x.x.x
I had to fight to keep it for free.
I had to work w/ retention dept. so much I felt as if I knew them by name.
I had to be the one that cried foul that "line taps
" kept
Uverse/and DLS Extreme 6.0 unavailable to my location.
I had to have one last try to give ATT a chance to make it STICK (it
being get it right and keep it right)
They failed so often but when the sync rate falls to that of a 3 meg
package after 4 months of seeing almost 6 megs, and the one last call to
Helpless Desk. It was evident that I have too much time on my hands to
work for ATT any longer.

Goodbye.

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:
tazmo8448

join:2011-11-29
Columbia, SC

DSL in Lugoff

I am down US 1 west of you and also can not get U-verse and was wondering what AT&T service you had or have and what the mbps was, promised and actual. I see where you do not recommend it and would like to know if it is because of crappy customer service? or the actual speed of the internet falling down? I plan to use it if I can stream movies and do a little gaming on line.......whatta you think?
Sam~

Lugoff

@truvista.net

Re: DSL in Lugoff

Hello Sam,
I dont want to spend much time recapping my life w/ ATT. I moved away from the aggravation of doing their dirty work. Moved Cell to Straightalk, ported home phone and internet to cable.

Started w/ Bellsouth 1.5 and upgraded to 3.0 w/ static IP back in 2004.
ATT takes over and manages to half azz deploy U-verse to last mile copper in 09/10, yet this deployment had adverse effects on existing DSL customers camping on golden "out of contract" services.
In order to keep what services you had become accustomed to one had to call/wait on hold/speak Indglish/recant problem/get transferred/recant story/be disconnected *ironically* by THE phone company/call/ wait on hold/ speak Indglish/ recant problem/get transferred/ recant story/ get a ticket/ wait/ get a CS survey by email/ call/ wait on hold /speak Indglish/ reference ticket #/ wail on hold/ get transferred to USA/ speak normal/get updated ticket w/ ETA/ wait for line crew/ be at home/ watch line crew run off to DSLAM to take the alligator clips off one's pair to resolve one's issue.

Go ask you neighbor what he/she has. Then go ask the other neighbor what they have. If your West down Hwy 1 good chance infrastructure is upgrading twd. Elgin/NE Cola
Regards to your upcoming challenges.

Review by tferguson01 See Profile

• Location: Newnan,Coweta,GA
Good "Connection is ROCK SOLID!!!"
Bad "Takes a long time to get provisioned. Connection speeds outdated."
Overall "With no caps and a rock solid connection that is always on unlike cable it a good purchase."

With a great SUPER ROCK SOLID 3.0 connection it makes a great back up internet when Charter which is my primary internet provider goes down its great. Very responsive and I can always guarantee that is will always be there when i need it.

Was rock solid but hey its at&t they thing 3.0mbps connection is worth 42.95. Screw that.