AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by seaborn See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Its available."
Bad "Its slow, and they wont offer anything over 1.5 mb/s"
Overall "Very obvious they are lying about availablity of speeds."

I moved to a new sub-division that didnt have cable so I had to go with DSL. At&t 1.5 Mbps is the fastest they stated was available to me and also has a 150gb limit. I called several times trying to get a knowledgeable tech to tell me when higher speeds would be available. All stated they did not know. About three weeks ago the cable company finally arrived and wired the sub-division with fiber and offered 30Mbps with no limit. The next day At&t called stating they had just upgraded there lines and can now offer 6 Mbps. Nice try.

Comments:

Review by davidw8 See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Connectivity sporadic with slow downloads."
Bad "Biggest complaint now is their pop & smtp server consolidation with yahoo.com"
Overall "AT&T connectivity and email is getting worse every day."

In the past three weeks internet connectivity as well as email reliability is poor. Overall connectivity over the past six months has been good.

Pop and smtp servers since using att.yahoo.com has been absolutely disastrous. Customer service actually lied to me saying that it was my email client. I use several on multiple pc's and macs so I knew that it was their problem not mine.

Finally got to speak with AT&T senior tech and he admitted major problems with their pop & smtp yahoo.com servers. In his words, it is close to an outage.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with AT&T or Advanced Cable Communications which has an exclusive contract here in Weston, FL until 2013.

Comments:

Review by dig_it See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Always on........................"
Bad "tech support"
Overall "Best dsl out there"

Been on bellsouth for 2 1/2 yrs now, took about 14 days to be up and running from date of order. I was simply put shocked by the installation setup it was too easy, speed was awesome.....and I've never been down 1 minute......tech support I hear maybe needs alittle fine tuning.....Running with my speed touch home modem , PPPOE ....since I've added another computer and linksys router and went wireless. All in all I would recommend Bellsouth dsl .........

2/19/2005 Now I've had the Bellsouth extreme sevice since it came out and I'm very pleased with it , never have had any down time , always running Bellsouth rocks for me.................

member for 12.5 years, 757 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:
JohnW

join:2011-03-13

this post in the unhappy camper list??

I think u posted this in the wrong place. seems ur are happy with the service

Review by jims2321 See Profile

• Location: Oviedo,Seminole,FL
Good "progress eventually does come to rural areas"
Bad "constant calls for prolong outages"
Overall "marginal service at premium price, but when you have no choice"

Bellsouth finally put the DSLAM in our area. Problem is, the area is under constant, and I do mean constant construction. I average 2 to 3 service calls per month, due to outages and connectivity. It has gotten to the point, that CSR just roll trucks and start checking pedestals in the area, inevitably it turns out to be some contractor backover, dug out or failed to close them.

10/7/11 -- Its been a few years since I review AT&T service in my area. And while AT&T did roll out Uverse to the area, once again our area will not receive it. The construction in the area settled down, along with the continual outages. Now when we get an outage it more like a CO issue. Prices have increased, speeds have decreased. Alas with no competition this will probably not change.

_______________________________________________________
Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite
Visit »freelane.excite.com/freeisp

Comments:

Review by kestrylx See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,Scott,KY
Good "Good for 5 years"
Bad "Horrible the past 2.5 weeks"
Overall "Technical support is horrible."

I've had a great experience with AT&T for about 5 years but recently started getting spotty connectivity. My service will work fine 90% of the time but then will suddenly drop to around dial-up speeds from anywhere between 5-6 seconds to around 5 minutes. Shorter times of slow speeds are more common.

When I call tech support and describe the issue they fail to find any problems after sending me through the same hooplah time and time again. I have been asked to call back when I am having the problems so that they can further investigate the issue. However, once the problems begin occurring and I call, wait on hold for 20 minutes, all issues have subsided.

Comments:

Review by peterponds See Profile

• Location: Lula,Hall,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "nothing good about ATT"
Bad "everything"
Overall "ATT is a company that needs to go away"

update 8-29-11 ATT is the worst company in america. just call with a problem and you will see that i am right

Update: July 09 went back for about 8 months (HSI only) because they were cheaper than comcast, about $48 vs 62.
1) installation was w/o problem
2) connection was perfect, almost never down or slow
3) rebate never came, but that was no surprise.
to sum it up... great connection at the present time in this area, just don't believe their promotions.

Fast and furious when it's working. But 3 problems.
1 Connection goes to sleep for periods of up to 60 seconds, won't connect to anything when asleep.
2 Won't connect to anything with windows media player, they'll lie to you about this.
3 NO connection now for 18 days after some "upgrading" of the system. I believe the verdict will be bad modem when I finally get the tech to the house. But I'm hearing similar stories from others with BS DSL ( blinking line synch light on the modem front panel with a good signal to the house) Did they upgrade our modems out fo existance?

june 05: it was the modem back then. it took them 5 weeks (that's right, 5 weeks)
to get me a new one, so i was w/o broadband for over a month. thsy tried to charge me for a new modem even though original was still within warrantee period.
They billed me for DSL for the period i was w/o service even though i called ahead telling them not to. After bill received it took 4 calls to straighten it out and instead of "we're sorry, we;ll fix it right away" they argued with me, resisted refund, and i never did gat a full refund for the 5 weeks w/o service. they still kept some of my $.
BellSouth still treats it's customers like it's a monopoly.
They finally put cable internet in here, so i switched to adelphia(soon to be comcast) and added vonage. now i'm 3 times as fast, cheaper(for the combimation of hsi and voip, vs.dsl and pots) and happier.
i have a bellsouthfree household. ain't competition great?
So far(3 months) cable connection works flawlessly, and is fast as hell(almost 5 megs down)

Comments:

Review by rid0617 See Profile

• Location: Greer,Greenville,SC
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Slow"
Overall "Wish we had another option besides Charter"

Signed up 5 years ago. Was told I could only get 1.5/256 package. Actually receive 600-900 down. Been hearing promises of upgrades for 5 years. Now they don't even charge us the normal AT&T DSL prices. Still being charged Bellsouth higher prices. Won't even tell you when the price will drop. We're the new AT&T but with the old AT&T practices.

member for 10.7 years, 580 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by cnoglesby See Profile

• Location: Clover,York,SC
Good "It's internet (just internet)."
Bad "3 Mbits, and nothing more."
Overall "Very bad CS, CO only 2 miles away, and better options available."

***UPDATE on AUGUST 10, 2011 ***
After a while of having AT&T, we are beginning to have tremendous problems. Clear 4G (»www.clear.com/) provides unlimited 4G data and no cap on download, along with 3G for areas without 4G. It is only $3 more than the regular AT&T DSL service.
************************************************************************************************
Every time we use AT&T DSL, there is always a problem at the beginning of the connection... but it is okay after a week or two. I had 3 problems, namely 768k instead of 3 megabits, sporadic DSL Disconnections, and 1.5m instead of 3 megabits!

We are thinking about switching to AT&T U-Verse or Comporium, our other local telco, but caps are in place for Comporium, but speeds can be at the maximum, 15 down and 15 up!

AT&T U-Verse has 6 Megabit Internet at our location for $43, 12 Megabits at $45, but we haven't decided yet on if we will switch or stay.

Lately, we have been getting speeds of up to 3.30 megabits in the morning, so they might be over-provisioning the speeds at 3547k or 4000k, but I am thinking 3547k for ADSL2+ at our location.

Overall, the service is steady in speed, topping out at 3.30 megabits in the morning, and 3.05 megabits during peak usage, because us and one other person in my neighborhood use AT&T DSL.

Comments:

wings10
I Am Legend
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

?

What does Cellular service have to do with a DSL review?

cltcb

@bellsouth.net

Re: ?

I was just saying that clear is a better choice in certain areas... And you only incur data overages if you are in a 3G only area.

Review by quzar See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Was better than dialup when I first got it"
Bad "Extremely inconsistent in all ways"
Overall "Finally have control over this connection and am migrating away"

Have had this service since 1999. We started with Bellsouth dial-up in 1995 then migrated to their DSL service. A few years ago it switched to AT&T. Thoughout those years there have been near constant issues with disconnections, inconsistent speeds, and poor quality service.

Two years ago the connection finally stabilized after we cut our own line in order to get service to come out. They refused because remote diagnostics said everything was 'ok'. After that they rewired our system and put the DSL on its own two lines (preventing phone interference).

I have seen constant problems that seemed like throttling in the past though, where it may be possible to download a file at high speed, but streaming video of any sort has been extremely limited. There have also been constant problems with their DNS servers.

The last straw was getting a notification of having surpassed the data cap, which I did not know existed.

Comments:

Review by tityler405 See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "mostly stable speeds, very reliable"
Bad "caps and slow speeds."
Overall "reliably slow"

We have been users of Bellsouth DSL since around 2003. We had problems with the service over the years, which were eventually attributed to bad inside wiring. I fixed that recently. Since then, we have had the 3Mb service, and we used to get a downstream sync rate of around 3300kb with actual speeds a little slower than the 3000 we were promised. Latency is around 80ms but we are on a very long loop. For the past 2 months the downstream sync rates have been all over the place... from around 2400 to 3500. AT&T trucks have been all over the place in the neighborhood lately conditioning for U-verse, so this is likely the cause. Despite this, we have had near 100% uptime. We sometimes have problems during thunderstorms.

The caps however, have us searching for alternatives.