AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by quzar See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Was better than dialup when I first got it"
Bad "Extremely inconsistent in all ways"
Overall "Finally have control over this connection and am migrating away"

Have had this service since 1999. We started with Bellsouth dial-up in 1995 then migrated to their DSL service. A few years ago it switched to AT&T. Thoughout those years there have been near constant issues with disconnections, inconsistent speeds, and poor quality service.

Two years ago the connection finally stabilized after we cut our own line in order to get service to come out. They refused because remote diagnostics said everything was 'ok'. After that they rewired our system and put the DSL on its own two lines (preventing phone interference).

I have seen constant problems that seemed like throttling in the past though, where it may be possible to download a file at high speed, but streaming video of any sort has been extremely limited. There have also been constant problems with their DNS servers.

The last straw was getting a notification of having surpassed the data cap, which I did not know existed.

Comments:

Review by tityler405 See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "mostly stable speeds, very reliable"
Bad "caps and slow speeds."
Overall "reliably slow"

We have been users of Bellsouth DSL since around 2003. We had problems with the service over the years, which were eventually attributed to bad inside wiring. I fixed that recently. Since then, we have had the 3Mb service, and we used to get a downstream sync rate of around 3300kb with actual speeds a little slower than the 3000 we were promised. Latency is around 80ms but we are on a very long loop. For the past 2 months the downstream sync rates have been all over the place... from around 2400 to 3500. AT&T trucks have been all over the place in the neighborhood lately conditioning for U-verse, so this is likely the cause. Despite this, we have had near 100% uptime. We sometimes have problems during thunderstorms.

The caps however, have us searching for alternatives.

Comments:

Review by ender7074 See Profile

• Location: House Springs,Jefferson,MO
Good "It allows a little bit of internet use"
Bad "Just about everything"
Overall "AT&T is an awful company in both service and quality."

My wife and I built a new house. Unfortunately, we have to deal with AT&T as there is no other provider in the area. I ordered the service online and selected the $10 internet option with expediated shipping. I never received a modem. I had to buy one from Best Buy and AT&T refuses to credit the modem back to me. More on that later. We moved into the new house and the guy came out and installed the phone line with no problems. The internet is a whole different story. To start off, I was only getting 180k. For about a week it was this bad. I called their worthless support and got the service I expected. The lady in India was extremely hard to understand and basically knew nothing about what she was doing. I asked her initially if the modem was provisioned correctly and she said yes. I also asked a few other tech questions that she was unable to answer as well. To make a long story short, she blamed the router. Now the router wasnt even hooked up but somehow it was causing the problem. I then demanded a sup but all I got was a tier 2 guy. He was marginally better. He did find that the modem was provisioned incorrectly, like I suspected, and fixed that but then proceeded to have me make multiple changes in the modem that caused it not to work at all. I let him go and proceeded to fix it to work again.

So now 2 months go by and I am paying only for the service, as they have still not credited the modem they never sent to me back. I keep getting disconnect notices because I refuse to pay for a piece of equipment I didnt receive. Their billing people are awful. The internet support people are worse. I never thought I'd be saying this but I can't wait for Charter to put lines into my new subdivision.

***UPDATE***

After fighting with the people in billing for 3 months, I waved the white flag and paid for the modem that I was never sent. I did this under duress and with the threat of disconnection. So far, not a single manager I have asked for has called me back and no one is billing will do anything about the fact that AT&T just stole 70 dollars from me. Tech support continues to be a complete waste of time unless you demand a tier 2 tech. The quality of service jumps quite a bit once one of those guys take over. One positive thing is they upgraded my line. I can now get 6 meg up from 768k. Seems ok so far but I havent had a chance to put it to the test yet.

**Update 7/25/08**

Once again, my modem has been reprovisioned. It was tooling along at 4.5 meg (pathetic since I'm paying for 6meg) when the connection dropped. When it came back up it was back to 768k. This is absolutely rediculous. They still haven't returned the money for the modem that I was charged for and never received and this is the 4th time that they have reprovisioned my modem for no reason. I never thought I'd say this but I cant wait to get Charter back. Not once in 5 years of having them did I have these problems. AT&T is awful. I will be filing complaints with the BBB and other agencies about their terrible service.

**Update 5/22/09**

Service is still awful. I end up calling the god-awful technical support about every 4-5 weeks about my connection going up and down. They escalate a case to some other group and they rarely fix it and never answer the phone number that they gvie to get back to them. I've given up on getting back the money they stole from me. They flat out refuse to refund the money and every time I bring it up they just transfer me around to different departments until someone just drops me. I get about 3-4 meg out of my, supposedly, 6 meg connection. Pathetic. I can't wait for the day that I can go to any other service than this pile of garbage that AT&T calls an internet connection.

**Update 3/2/10**

Service continues to be awful. The intermittent connection is getting worse. Instead of getting a few weeks of decent connection (not constant just decent). Online games are unplayable. Constant disconnects prevent any kind of enjoyable gaming experience. Netflix streaming is useless. Even uploading files for school is an effort in futility. Many times I have to go to my parents house and use their cable connection to send in projects that are due. Phone support is worthless. I've had techs out the each claim to fix the problem but then a few days later... well, the cycle repeats. I've looked into other providers but AT&T is all I can get. I need to find a corporate complaint route for AT&T but none seem to be available. This service is beyond awful. Oh, and forget about credit unless you want the transfer run around. Disgusting company with awful service.

Comments:

Review by othinn See Profile

• Location: Natchitoches,Natchitoches,LA
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Pricing, slow, caps"
Overall "Slow & steady isn't good enough anymore"

5/2011--I cancelled my service today due to the new caps and have switched to Suddenlink. I have no real complaints about AT&T aside from the caps and the fact that the speeds available to me have been static since they first introduced the ultra or extreme tiers (I can't keep the goofy names straight) years ago. The caps are a big complaint, though; I won't put up with them if I can avoid it.

2/2011 update--After all this time, 3/384 is still all that AT&T offers in my area, and I'm close to dropping them. I would probably stick with them if the 6Mb service was here if only because I've never had a problem with the heavy downloading I do--something I'm not sure would be true with Suddenlink, which is AT&T's only real competitor around here. I don't know whether to stick with what I know or give cable a shot.

12/13/03 -- Another update. My only complaint is the news service. I stopped bothering with it a few months ago & switched to a premium service. Other than that, everything's great.

5/6/03 -- An update because the site asked for it, but there's nothing much to say. Email goes down every now and then, newsgroup service is sometimes spotty (but there's no download limit so I won't complain). That's about it.

********

The only problem I've had since ordering the service three weeks ago is the confusion, on Bellsouth's end, about my order. In the first week after my order, I received a USB self-installation kit, an ethernet self-installation kit and an ethernet modem all by its lonesome. (I ordered the ethernet kit.) Customer service worked hard, and were very polite while doing so, to keep it from happening, but I guess their shipping department has an itchy trigger finger. It's all straightened out now, with the exception of the activation rebate coupon -- I've still got to call and remind them I haven't received one.

As for speed, I averaged 1250/220 with the USB Alcatel, with the ethernet Alcatel I average 1220/216. I don't know how far I am from the CO -- for what it's worth, about 8000 feet as the crow flies. Good pings. I've never lost connection. The best thing I can say is that I never think about my connection. It's just there. That's in stark contrast to my time with cable, where every day was a crap shoot.

What I don't like is all the software that comes with the installation disk. I installed it at first, but couldn't find any reason for keeping it. I also don't like being forced to install software in order to access Bellsouth's support site. Yes, I'm a rank beginner when it comes to broadband, and most other things, but I don't need to be baby-stepped to that degree.

Anyway, aside from that, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Bellsouth to anyone. (But I've probably jinxed myself now.)

member for 12.3 years, 2229 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Airwolf7 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Simpson,KY
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "FastAccess DSL service was awesome when it was run by BellSouth."
Bad "The new AT&T has run FastAccess service into the ground."
Overall "The new AT&T sucks! Get Comcast HSI service if you can."

Come April 25th 2011 I will be done with AT&T. All services cancelled. That is $145.83 a month of my money that AT&T will not be getting.

AT&T has not done a single thing positive since taking over BellSouth. They have run FastAccess DSL service into the ground. They nickel and dime the customer to death now. They have pissed me off for the last time.

April 28 2011: I have left AT&T now. Comcast is looking good so far.

Comments:

Review by NOCTech75 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "When I moved came over with DT, very reliable"
Bad "Changing email to yahoo"
Overall "Due to cap and TOS changes moving to Comcast"

Service has been great, no issues. Thought about Comcast but I knew that the DSL would be reliable so I went with that, may switch to save money but I'm very happy with the service.

Service has been perfect but the new caps and TOS changes is a bit over the top, ok... way over the top. Going to Comcast HSI to give that a try.

Well Comcast has won out, the latest BS from AT&T just pushed me over the edge. In about a week I will be disconnecting all services with AT&T.

Got everything I needed done early, service terminated... to AT&T, piss off.

member for 5.3 years, 1925 visits, last login: 87 days ago

Comments:

Review by wizkid6 See Profile

• Location: Opelika,Lee,AL
Good "Stability"
Bad "Cap, price per megabit"
Overall "Best thing until U-verse"

I ordered DSL on 5/30/02. They told me the self-install kit was scheduled to arrive by the 16th, and to call them if it hadn't. It arrived about 5 days early, on the 11th. I opened it, plugged it in, and tried to install EnterNet 300. No joy. As much as I tried, it wouldn't connect. I finally ended up connecting to my previous ISP (AT&T Worldnet) a couple of times to apply the STH to STP hack, and it worked! Unfortunately, my speed is only about 100k per second. Thus, next week I'm going to do a home run with my father.

---- Update ----

I now have upgraded to the 6meg package and have moved to another state. Everything is great. Can't wait until U-verse comes to town!

---- Update ----

Everything smooth sailing....

---- Update ---

$8 per megabit is outrageous on a $48 bill.

Comments:

Review by ccureau See Profile

• Location: Covington,Saint Tammany,LA
Good "Reliable (if slower) connection"
Bad "Unreasonable Terms of Service, low usage caps"
Overall "After 8 years, time to move on"

For these past eight years, I directed as many people as I could to BellSouth (later AT&T) FastAccess over Charter simply because they were reliable and dependable. The only issues I've ever had with them was service restoration after Katrina and the weeks of service lost during a switchover from phone+DSL to dry line DSL.

I've always been able to get the advertised speeds (6M/512k) out of my connection without issue. The install has been mostly painless (if drawn out), though their technical support team leaves a lot to be desired.

Now, with the changes that AT&T has put on the Terms of Service, I can no longer stay nor encourage anyone else to. You've lost at least me and the people I can speak to.

Comments:

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Used to be a solid connection (and my VOIP worked great with it)."
Bad "No problems for a long time, then AT&T totally screwed it up.."
Overall "It no longer works, and AT&T would do nothing to fix it."

This is a Stand Alone FastAccess Xtreme 3.0 circuit (no POTS line required).

I had some initial problems primarily because the SAFA service is new and the circuit was initially setup as if it were a line share DSL on a preexisting POTS line. It took a couple of days and numerous phone calls and emails to get that fixed.

My primary uses for this circuit are for hosting my VOIP lines, and as load balancing for web browsing, ftp site mirroring, etc to take some of the non-commercial load from my Covad circuit. So far it is performing in that function much better than the Comcast HSI connection that it replaced.

Update 11/25/2008:

Last week I had a second AT&T Direct DSL circuit installed to replace my Covad circuit. The primary reason for the switch was that Covad could not provide a connection faster than 1536 kbps downstream to my location, and AT&T can provide a 35xx kbps downstream connection. The initial installation went as scheduled with no major problems. I initially had some intermittent sync problems, but the AT&T tech provided a new modem after checking the circuit, and that seemed to fix the sync problems.

I have updated my ratings to 100% for all categories because AT&T now knows what a "dry DSL" line is, and knows how to install/support it. Also, the minor sync problems I had with this new circuit and the only problem I have had with my older circuit were all fixed in a timely manner by techs who actually seemed to know what they were doing.

Another update is that my original $5.00 per month discount for also being an AT&T wireless customer disappeared (this happened when the name of the service changed from "BellSouth StandAlone FastAccess" to "AT&T DSL Direct"). It seems that you now have to actually "bundle" wireless with DSL service to get that discount. I declined that offer as I have had unpleasant experiences with AT&T/BellSouth bundled billing in the past.

Update 11/25/2009:

Nothing new to report, but the DSLR reminder service wants an update anyway.

Both of my DSL Direct 3.0 circuits are still working well. I just wish that AT&T would get on the ball and install an RT or VRAD to service my location so that I could upgrade to either DSL Direct 6.0 or U-verse.

Update 06/13/2010:

Not much new to report, but once again, the DSLR update robot is bugging me for review updates.

As previously, both of my DSL Direct 3.0 circuits are still working well. The only complaint I have is that apparently AT&T has begun implementing an ATM level speed cap that is lower than the actual DSLAM sync rate. I used to get ~3.0 to ~3.2 mbps downstream speed on each circuit, but I now only get ~2.6 to ~2.8 mbps downstream speed on each circuit (the DSLAM sync rates are still the same as before). It may not sound like much, but it is just another sign of AT&T's official screw the customer when ever you can policy.

Update 10/19/2010:

I activated basic voice service on one of my DSL Direct lines for use with a fax service. I was a bit concerned about the possibility of my DSL stats suffering (and the possibility of losing my grandfathered free static IP), but neither the DSL line stats nor my static IP were effected. This has allowed me to drop my Vonage Lite + Fax lines (of which I only really used the fax line) and save about $10 per month (and these days every penny counts). I may sometimes complain a bit about AT&T service, but they did this right. No interruption or change to my DSL service, and the voice service went live while I was on the phone with the sales CSR.

Update 03/23/2011:

Well, AT&T totally hosed my bellsouth.net DSL connection, and refused to fix it or allow me to order another one. I won't clutter up this review with the details. Anyone wishing the gory details can read this thread: »Edited title: AT&T only taketh away

I just turned up my new Comcast Business 12/2 service yesterday, and so far, so good. I will review the new Comcast service after it survives (or doesn't) the next couple of spring storms.

member for 10.3 years, 5865 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WeSRT4 See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "Hmmm.... the only thing available where I live"
Bad "AT&T= 150gb caps with overages"
Overall "While I'm not a heavy downloader I don't like the idea of caps."

Update 3/16/11:
I've had a couple of outages since my last update.. one lasting a couple of days while they "ordered" parts. Speeds have consitantly gotten worse since AT&T took over Bellsouth. Now to top it off AT&T has now announced caps with overage charges. Cable already beats AT&T's aging dsl technology. Now with the caps and constant price increases AT&T is non competitive. I only wish someone would deploy cable in my neighborhood. It's only a matter of time and i'm gone as a landline and wireless customer. This company has no vision and doesn't care about its customers; only the bottom line and their investors. They have ruined their relationship with me as a customer forever!

PRICING

Well, it's been a year since the merger and AT&T STILL hasn't aligned dsl pricing with their existing pricing. In effect AT&T is mistreating old Bellsouth customers by charging them more for the same services that AT&T charges less for in all other areas of the country. There is no excuse for this. We keep hearing that it takes time to get everyone on the same system, but that is plain BS. All they need to do is change the pricing of the tiers within the system that we are currently on. In fact they could do it overnight if they wanted to. For this reason I now give AT&T a one on value for money.

Reliability

AT&T has had issues with DNS that has led to outages for the entire southeast. For this reason I am moving the reliability from five to four. Overall service is still very reliable.

Tech Support

Recently when AT&T had and outage I called to get support and got a message saying that call volume was extremely high and that I would need to call back. For this reason I am moving tech support from three to two.

Bottom line: The merger seems to be hurting the level of service.

member for 13.9 years, 1582 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago