AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by LordHokuto See Profile

• Location: Ormond Beach,Volusia,FL

I've been waiting for years to have a high speed connection in my house in Daytona Beach, and I thought that Bellsouth would deliver, but sure enough, it doesn't. Let's start with actually getting signed up talking to the salesperson was painless enough, but, In proper Bellsouth fashion, the order is never put through and they fail to say anything, so when October 30, the installation date, rolls around, nothing. I call up and They have the temerity to tell me that I cancelled the order myself. After a good hour of complaining, i get rescheduled for 2 weeks later. The technician that came by was as helpful as he could have been, but the central office failed to have anything set up for the connection, so the two of us are on hold will tech support for 3 hours while god-only-knows who is trying to solve the problem. Of course, the problem isn't solved and the technician leaves, so i have everything setup except for the actual connection! A day later I get my connection up, and it seemed faster, at least until I found out that 20k/sec. IS NOT FAST AT ALL! I'm supposed to be getting 300-400k on this thing at the very least! The bellsouth people manage to screw up my account a day later and once again i'm left with no connection. The reason for this is that my number on the DSLAMM keeps getting knocked out, and this happens several times until they finally get it to stay in their system. This all took about 2 weeks by the way. I'm still left with a 20k connection (I've tried the registry stuff by the way) And my friend who lives almost across the street from me get's the same speeds, and we've confirmed that the poor speeds are all Bellsouth's doing. My friend called about the new backbone that's supposed to be put in to increase speeds, but the techie said it might just be a rumor. So all in all, an awful service from an awful company. Hopefully they can get their act together sometime soon.

Comments:

Review by benb25 See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC

I have been with Bellsouth's Fast access for about a year and while I wouldn't go back to the 56k, ADSL is not for everyone. Bellsouth.net is the most poorly managed company that I have ever dealt with in my entire life. They have no concept of other people's time nor the capacity to manage the technology which was granted to them exclusively in their region for some time.

In typical Bellsouth.net fasion, they failed to show on the first sceduled installation. Not only did they fail to show on the first, they missed the next seven as well. They never called nor did they even apologize. Furthermore, the first missed appointment was on a Saturday and noone was even in the office to find out what was going on.

After the installation, I noticed interference on the line whenever my modem was turned on. Bellsouth said that it must be a card(???) in the central office that wasn't seated properly and that it would be fixed. A month later, it still was not fixed. However, bellsouth showed that the card(???)had been checked so the problem must be the splitter. We replaced the splitter 3 times. I even ran some CAT5 cable which I dedicated to the ADSL line directly to the splitter. Finally, I demanded that they send an engineer who rerouted my wires all the way back to the central office. I got to know him personally. When that failed, they flew in some engineers from Alcatel and had some of the engineers from Cisco which is located nearby come take a look at this phenomena.

I then resigned to get a second telephone line which was suppposed to be on Bellsouth' dime. While the regular Bellsouth guy was installing the line, he called the central office and told a lady that he knew there to check the card(???).

She did and found that it wasn't seated properly. Viola! It was fixed after 3 months and a grand total of 120 hours on the telphone with support, the NOC, Alcatel, Bellsouth, and the engineer.

Guess what though. Bellsouth charged me for the second telephone line anyway even though they promised not to. That took another six hours to resolve.

This is very typical of Bellsouth.net support in that the right hand never knows what the left is doing and I've found that on average, Bellsouth.net will actully follow through on about 8% of all service requests. This means that if they tell you that they will fix something overnight, you have about an 8% chance that they will do anything at all. However, you have about a 20% chance of finding the individual that blew you off the night before.

One time I moved my website and domain from one host to another. NIC changes take about two days to propagate to DNS servers. About 4 days later I was still being routed the old ISP address. After, checking with my new web host I and verifying that the NIC order had gone through, I decided to log into Mindspring and sure enough, when I entered the address, I went to the correct site. So I used a trace-route utility on the web to see what IP address ISPs all over the world were resolving for my domain. All were sending me to the new and correct address. Obviously, it was an issue with Bellsouth's DNS server. It took over two hours to convince tech support that the problem was on their end and not mine nor my host. Once they recluctantly transferred me to the NOC, it took another 2 hours to convince their senior techs that the issue was their DNS server. After a healthy bit of debate and finally me shouting, they apoloized and one of the engineers finally said that he understood what I was saying and that he found a problem with the DNS server. Next day it was fixed.

Recently, Bellsouth updated their routers and two of my Bellsouth accounts were sent into lala land. I called about this issue and support typcally insisted that the issue was on my end. They would not connect me with the NOC or the DSG until I

A: Deleted my DHCP folder from the registry.

B: Adjusted my network settings so that they could try to ping me.

C: Powercycled the modem:

D: Physically removed the Network card and reinstalled it.

I now had three hours invested in the issue before we could even start the session. The NOC said that they found the issue and they gave me temporary solution. Meanwhile the DSG would have to change some settings. All this took another three hours. One week later, I'm back out and the DSG had not done anything. I called in and of course the tech support wants me to do A, B, C, and D before they will call the DSG. Another three hours just to convince Bellsouth.net that the problem is still on their end. Meanwhile at work, I'm doing the same thing with my account there. Over 20 hours was spent on this issue altogether.

I've seen the hoopla from the Bellsouth camp that ADSL isn't easy to roll out and that the tecnology is new...blah, blah, blah. Although these problems have been technical in nature, all of these problem could have been solved n about 1/2 hour each if I could get the right person on the line. This is poor managemant folks. Plain and simple. Personally, I think Bellsouth needs to reassess thier outsourcing situation. I also think that they need to fire Bellsouth.net's president. I've met him and he is both nice and intellegent. But, his management of Bellsouth.net has been an embarrassment to the organization that had an entire industry in their geographic location handed to it on a silver platter.

Individually, I do like most of the people at Bellsouth.net. But, as a team, they are losers and they need to spend less time patting themselves on the back and more time training.

Anyway, getting past the management. I get all of the advertised bandwidth and that is why I put up with Bellsouth.

As an ISP, Bellsouth.net is terrible once again. The newsserver drops post and retention is about one day. I've also heard alot of complaints about web caching although it has never affected me. I have seen it happen with their web hosting service and it is annoying.

I would like a static ISP business solution though. Unfortunately, by the time Bellsouth.net starts offering it, I will be considering another ISP. But, if you read the newgroups, Bellsouh makes that alternative rather upleasant as well. Apearantly, getting them to take the nessisary actions to switch ISPs is like trying to gt them to do anything else.

Hence, I say that Bellsouth's Fast Access isn't for everyone. Dealing with a company like Bellsouth.net takes a certain amount of patience and technical knowledge to be able to wade through all he BS that they will surely and consistantly hand you. Wether the Bandwidth is worth the hassle is an individual decision.

Comments:

Review by cbemis See Profile

• Location: Jupiter,Palm Beach,FL

Update on BellSouth Fastaccess in SoFla

Today, Wednesday, 11/24/99, I discover ADSL is broken at 5:00AM. I wait until
6:00AM to investigate the problem and call tech support and open a ticket as
I always do. I call- at 6:00AM.

The issue is that the Miami gateway passes no packets but it is up and alive
and I probe it. It passes no packets. I can see a variety of end systems
on my side of the gateway and I presume they are as dead as I am. Phone is
finally answered at 6:40AM, by Janice Hall and I force the opening of
Trouble Ticket #142008 after explaining. I ask her to call NOC. She says that
she is not allowed to. I ask for Supervisor and go on hold again because the
excuse was that the Supervisor was on the other line. At 6:50, Janice comes
back and says she has NOC on phone and I begin to see that they are diddling
with the gateway as I see changes, but still no connectivity. I thank her
for support, such as it is but it is not her fault. The incompetence is
much further up the line.

At 7:00AM, gateway goes entirely dead and I lose the dynamic ARP entry because
it does not respond. At 8:12AM, gateway come partially up but it is still
broken and if I had not called already, it would have been sufficiently
bad on my side to warrant a call--intermittent connectivity and packet drops.
At 8;42AM, I experience pauses of up to 1 minute at a time at intervals of
5-10 minutes. Tis just the gateway with the problem, and as far as I can tell,
because it is not up long enough to probe throughly, it is only the gateway.
Pauses also mean that there is noreachability to the DHCP/DNS Server.
Uncomplainable service is established at 10:00AM or so.

Your service is pathetic and your NOC support is horrible. BellSouth needs
some SERIOUS CLEC ADSL competition and I will attempt to find it now that the
FCC has ruled that my POTs line is accesible by them. BellSouth FastAccess
may be history unless you do something besides send out canned mail messages.
Please call 1-888-321-2375, 2+2, ask for NOC, and network engineering. Read
to them from this message. Pass it to YOUR Supervisor as well.

member for 15.1 years, 36 visits, last login: 11.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by

They ran what they call an MLT on my line and it showed me being 11,000ft. from the CO. I usually get 140kbyte/sec or above downloads but they realiability of the connections suck !! They will be fine for a few days and all of a sudden you are all night without a connection ??

I also have had to have 4 installers come out to my location and I still have my splitter wired incorrectly or it could be a problem with the sucky Alcatel 1000 bridges they use.

When ever I pick up the phone to make or receive a call I lose sync. This realibility sucks !!

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by saturnjt See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL

After having ADSL installed successfully for three weeks, i'm now using my 56K modem to access this website as we speak! ADSL has been down everynight this week alone in South Florida and when it works, i'm lucky if I can even get to www.bellsouth.net without the connection timing out.

I called tech support three times and today i'm being told that my phone line NEVER supported DATA only VOICE and the speeds will always be like this. Maybe technical supported didnt realize this just started to happen! I spoke to someone in billing and was told to try ADSL for another week and if it doesn't improve to call back and I would get a complete refund.

Comments:

Review by saturnjt See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL

After having ADSL installed successfully for three weeks, i'm not using my 56K modem to access this website was we speak! ADSL has been down everynight this week alone in South Florida and when it works, i'm lucky if I can go to www.bellsouth.net without the connection timing out.

Comments:

Review by

bad bad bad bad news. stay away.
i ordered ADSL of up to 1.4mbps
the order process was like a big hint to stay away, but i didn't pick up on it due to my enthusiasm for ~1.4mbps.
it was dynamic IP but it never changed, not even when i released & renewed my IP.
the speed was good until it permanently broke.
equipment was the Alcatel adsl "modem" as they called it.

two tries for installation. no big deal there except that the guy who installed it made sure to leave a phone cord available for my analog modem for, as he put it, "when, not if i need a backup."

the ADSL worked at the physical layer for almost 3 weeks. bellsouth's network servers such as POP, SMTP, DHCP and DNS never worked reliably.

immediately after the installation, i started picking up other voice conversations on my telephones, even with all the cordless phones unplugged and disconnected. my line had been clean until bellsouth installed ADSL.

about 3 weeks into it, my throughput dropped from the typical 1.X mbps to something like 12bps when I was lucky.

tech support, true to form, after being told that my throughput dropped to less than 20bps, told me to clean my browser's cache. when i asked to speak with the "next level of help" i was told they were glad i was amused and then put on never ending hold. i called right back and canceled my ADSL. the person with whom i spoke when i canceled was the only professional i encountered in my dealings with bellsouth.net.

i also had e-mailed tech support and also attempted to use web forms to submit technical support requests. replies came back from these attempts typically after 7-10 days, always saying something along the lines of "thanks for sending us e-mail, look at so & so webpage blah blah blah". the problem is that the webpages referenced were of no help, as if tech support scanned my e-mail for keywords and then (incorrectly) cut & paste a reply based on keywords.

since ADSL i have contacted bellsouth three times in an attempt to get my phone line fixed so i may carry on a conversation. according to them, my phone line works. strangely, i hear voices. i'd figure they must be in my head again except that they also cause my 56K analog modem to disconnect frequently.

thanks to Bellsouth's ADSL, it appears i may have to move in order to get a clean phone/internet connection again.

my only hope is that Mindspring will force bellsouth to fix things when i order their ADSL when it's available in the next month or so.

Bellsouth.net has a "no refund" policy regarding the installation fee. i recommend that you avoid the hassle i'm encountering about not paying this bill by NEVER ORDERING bellsouth's adsl. i cancelled my adsl before i even got the installation bill. lucky me. i may have the opportunity not to pay for the service that i did not receive.

the worst part is that bellsouth.net claims that they're not allowed access to bellsouth's phone service information due to FCC regulations. it's funny how the bellsouth.net people came and screwed up my phones, but now they're not allowed to touch them. hmm, do i smell something? oh, yeah, it's BS. No, not Bull Sh... Bell South!

eventually someone from bellsouth.net did e-mail me back with what seemed to be a legitimate interest in helping me. this was about 2 weeks after i canceled. when i sent her a big long e-mail describing exactly all of the above and asking if they could fix it, what did i get in return? NOTHING!

run away as fast as you can from bellsouth.net's ADSL. run for your life. the frustration will kill you.

i've been a mindspring dialup and ISDN customer for personal and business use since 1995. never had i encountered anything like bellsouth.net. i never will again, either. you can spare yourself the experience. learn from others. stay away.

last little tidbit- they're so clueless about their service, I still have their Alcatel ADSL "modem" despite telling them twice I'd like to get rid of it, and even suggesting that I may take it to the pawn shop!!!

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by

Hi,

The are horrible, belive me. i have joined them, and they are sucks. The dont came at the time i say to them, and one one of the man's there hang me up, when i told him that the service the offer is not good saw much. Listen to me, peopole DONT JOIN THEM !