AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by kdouglas10 See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Now PPOE; Mostly works all the time; modem seems to reset every 24-36 hrs"
Bad "Can't get above 2400 kbps downstream; AT&T DSL NOT FAST ENOUGH for happy ROKU experience; Apple TV OK; still running 480i"
Overall "03/11 Actively evaluating alternatives to use IPTV; More to follow"

I was the second person in our neighborhood to get DSL. Just 10,000 ft from the CO, we had to wait for BellSouth (BS) to decide to buy the MUX/DEMUX to interface with a fiber head-end. When the original tech came out to test my line, he said I was good to go for about 8000 kbps downstream. Never had much above 4500, but pretty soon BS throttled it back to 1100-1200 kbps. Still have the old bridged service and wonder if PPoe would be as good or better. If it was better, I would gladly move to BS Extreme service. You know how it is, though - when it is working well enough, WHY CHANGE ANYTHING? Before I got DSL, I used 56K dial-up for about 8 months because it was faster than cable modem when half the folks on my block were using their cable service. I still do a little computer tech support in the neighborhood, and my observation is that on the whole, customers are more satisfied with their BS DSL than with Comcast Cable modems. As long as the Comcast techs keep installing modems via USB connections rather than using Ethernet, the speed is worse (even when customers are paying for 3000 kbps down) than standard DSL from BS. About a year ago, I helped the Property Owners Association move from dial-up to DSL. We had equipment mailed to us (took 2 days to get it), self-installed, networked and everything was good to go in about 2 hours total!

Comments:

Review by Gflo See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Newton,GA
Good "It connects me"
Bad "Slow speeds, high ping, overpriced tech support are idiots."
Overall "Avoid if possible"

The speed is 3Mbps down 384Kbps up. Its not dial up but it sucks if i'm trying to watch an HD stream, upload anything or play Xbox live(or any other online game). The ping started at 28ms but has since gone up to 48 which is noticeable depending on the game you are playing. Slingbox is unusable. I tried to get switched from interleaved to fastpath in order to cut down on the ping, none of the techs knew what I was talking about.

If it wasn't the only thing available down my street(comcast is to lazy to run the lines 1/2 of a mile down this street to fill in the gap in this whole block) I wouldn't be here.

The total bill comes out to ~$100 for some unknown reason, I only have 3mbps dsl and POTS.

Comments:

Review by cautery See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "I can literally throw a rock and hit the DSLAM"
Bad "Never get anywhere near advertised speeds"
Overall "I can't believe I am considering moving to cable... this just "sucks"."

First... let me say that I am NOT a telco basher... I dig AT&T for the most part... Been with them since they ate Cingular... SWB/SBC was just a "baby bell" and headquartered 40 miles from my house growing up... But...

AT&T Southeast (formerly BellSouth) is not delivering anywhere near the service for which we give them a lot of money.

We originally got DSL under BellSouth as a part of a bundled service deal back in 2007. We've always had the top tier service offered (currently, 6Mbps/512kbps) We have the grandfathered "free" static IP.

Over the last year or so, the service has been progressively degrading.... It's like a flashback to PacHell days in the San Joaquin Valley, CA back in '99... SAME exact symptoms...

Right now.... the speed tests say we are getting about 2.642Mbps/428kbps.... which while not great and no where near 6Mbps/512kbps, is better than yesterday from 1700 hrs until 0100hrs this morning (CST, and yes, I stayed up just to monitor), when the speedtests were in chorus telling me that my service was dragging along at 368kbps/230kbps.

Inexcusable... I'm investigating a switch to cable now...

Comments:

Review by Simon Simon See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Charleston,SC

Used to be good, kept the connection alive for days, but not anymore.
The connection drops 2 or 3 times a day and has been confirmed by the
logs in the Airport Extreme router logs.
AT&T's answer...canned responses from their reps. No help at all.
Checked modem firmware, it's at the current level. Logs show minimum
errors on the modem.
It is believed they are dropping the connections of everyone to minimize
bandwidth usage.

As for speed, forget it. They fail every speed test as far as
delivering something close to advertised.

Alternatives >> Comcast. Been there, done that, not much better.

--------------------------------------
This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy, forward and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without permission of the sender.
--------------------------------------

Comments:

Review by kh99 See Profile

• Location: York,York,SC
Good "Slow, but consistant."
Bad "False Advertising on several levels."
Overall "STAY AWAY = Worst Customer Service EVER = Snake Oil"

Consumer protection?
Use technical complexity to get away w' BLATANT FRAUD.
Would anyone buy based on a MAXIMUM quality??
Defies any market logic – other than fraud.
Fake DSL Speeds:
Speed consistently limited below advertised rates w’ effect of limiting VoIP functions.
Advertised Downstream 768 Kbps – never been above 650 Kbps.
Advertised Upstream 384 Kbps – never been above 110 Kbps.
Been using PCs since DOS / 9.11. Know how to: 1) keep apps from running in the background – especially anything that accesses net, 2) accurately measure bandwidth, and 3) deal with all the other potential problems they come up with.
Complaints to AT&T – ALWAYS – go through the same idiot proof set of questions & excuses – designed to discourage any further complaints.

Fake Rebates:
Use confusing set of rebate requirements to discourage follow up.
I qualified for 2 rebates (modem & paperless billing). I did a lot of research, asked lots of questions, & kept good notes; But they deny such rebates on my account.

Also:
Rates have increased above where they were supposed to be at this time. Tried to resolve this issue, again by calling Customer Service, but just got told again and again that the company's policy and records for my account did not match what I was told when I signed up.

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous jumbled mess that makes up their online services and promotions = Unbelievable.

Comments:

Review by sdmuk00 See Profile

• Location: Mount Sterling,Montgomery,KY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Technical Support are very friendly."
Bad "Service has been an issue for sometime"
Overall "I am working with the BBB trying to get out of a contract to move back to cable."

I have had the same issue as most. During non-peak hours i.e.,very early morning say 2:00AM EST I get a little over 6 Mbps until early afternoon not sure when this occurs I work during the day. When I get in between 5:30 and 6:00 PM EST my downloads have dropped in the range or .5 Mbps up to .85 Mbps. I have spent several hours on the line with technical support that may be friendly, but they are not that knowledgeable nor will they escalate a call. I have had technicians out on several occasions. I have had this blamed on interference, and one support person actually asked if my neighbor had their sprinkler running. I explained to this individual that even if they did have it running in the middle of December it would not hit my lines. Anyhow AT&T replaced a card in the dslam, but this helped for a very short period like a couple of hours. This was only done after the BBB was notified. I recommend that anyone who is experiencing this issue to contact the BBB and let them know that AT&T has essentially refused to resolve the issue without involving another entity. Although I am still using AT&T I am trying to get out of the contract that I never really agreed to, and going back to cable. I only left cable due to the fact that I cannot stand Time Warner, and when AT&T promised me 6 Mbps over the 7 Mbps that Time Warner offers here I jumped all over it. Now in retrospect wish I had not. I am 30 miles or so from Lexington, KY. when I lived there I got 20 Mbps with the local cable company there, and if memory serves me correctly I got close to 10 Mbps with the phone company there. So that makes me wonder how a smaller company servicing a much larger area can do so much, but conglomerates such as Time Warner or AT&T cannot seem to service a town of about 20,000 people. Guess I should have stayed in good LEX. Guess the dollar for the investor wins out over consumer, but at some point this is going to crash all around them if they do not remedy there problems. I like most everyone else like a healthy return, but not at the sacrifice of service..

Comments:

Review by jxhill

• Location: Bogart,Oconee,GA
Bad "really poor evening connectivity, extremely low connection speed"
Overall "would refer to cable options or direct fiber to the house"

Customer satisfaction is extremely low
same symptoms and signs throughout the southeast (speeds vary in the
evening 1.0-3.0; P.M.-12 AM speeds are horrible)
I have spoken to tech support etc. and continue to get the run around...

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:

Review by hudoff See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "All in one box, easy install,easy and well done instructions."
Bad "Speed unstable and very slow at times. This is wide Area problem now"
Overall "unreliable speed at this point"

Bell South process was pretty good from the beginning to the end of the install. They shipped me a box on time. It had a CD, modem, color coded cables, power pack and a number of DSL filters.

The short written instructions tell the user to insert the CD. After that all of the info comes from the CRT screen.

If you can't understand you can see a short video to help. The cables are color coded. One can use USB or Ethernet ports,with the instructions telling you to use the Ethernet if possible. It went smoothly and was about a five minute job. There are written instructions in Spanish too.

Addition January 2011. There is a significant wide area problem wih unstable and slow DSL speeds. My speed varies from 5.78 which is pretty good to 0.78 which is terrible. I had two techs here there is nothing wrong in my unit but some unknown problem with the network which is causing a lot of people problems.

member for 13.2 years, 138 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by card240 See Profile

• Location: Greensboro,Guilford,NC
Good "When Bellsouth it was good. No longer as ATT."
Bad "Dropped Internet, noisy phone lines, bad support. Just about everything."
Overall "Have Finally gone to Another service."

I started with Bellsouth about three years ago in Miami, shifting from AT&T, which I had for about two years. I started in the South Miami area with 1.5 Mbps connection with AT&T which never attained the speed I was paying for, appearing to be locked at 928 Mbps. AT&T sent a technician who said it would remain so as I was 16,000 feet from the CO. Then I changed to Bellsouth, and within two hours and nothing more on my part than a simple modem reboot the speed doubled and stayed that way throughout my remaining year in Miami. Bellsouth owned the lines I guess, so had a big say where the load coils would stay.

I moved about a year and half ago to Greensboro, NC and retained the Bellsouth DSL at 1.5. I could have had Time-Warner RoadRunner, but decided to stick with what had been a good service at Bellsouth. The same Bellsouth Westell 2200 modem came with me and from the

first day here the connection hit that mark consistently. Our utilities are underground and my understanding is we have fiberoptic cable very close to our street.

Only recently has it had some slow-downs, and they have been only for a couple of hours. I am hoping that the merger will not effect the fine job that Bellsouth people seem to have kept up, at least in my experience, in both of my locations.

UPDATE: July 30, 2008: I guess the ATT effect has set in. The speed has declined a lot in the past few weeks, I am now paying for 6.0 and getting 3200Kbps only. I will complain of course, but it is discouraging after so many years of good Bellsouth service.

UPDATE: April 23, 2009: I have to report that after the previous loss of speed the connection did go back to the full 6.0 I am paying for. No real problems with the connection since.

I did make the move to the new Yahoo/ATT mail servers, and was NOT happy with the way it was handled. Mostly it was my fault, as I moved only the primary address and did not change my Apple Mail/Outlook Express clients as I just thought the change affected only the webmail site, which I almost never use. Of course no primary mail came in but secondary accounts did, and this took a month for me to notice. When I finally tumbled and changed the email clients there was a gusher of unread mail from the primary account. ATT was of NO HELP in this, it took the forums here and the Mac forums to make it clear to me. Big, red anger ball thrown at AT@T !

UPDATE: July 12, 2009: In fairness, I do have to note that the 6.0 "Extreme" constancy of speed has been very good despite my fears after AT&T's takeover from Bellsouth. I have the occasional loss of sync, but a modem reboot has always brought it back and various speed tests indicate around 6300 Mbps at all times. I have suffered no real outages.

I DON'T like the much increased Spam I am getting with the Yahoo email servers, but since everything ends up in my Spam folder anyhow it is not anything but an annoyance. I continue to use the original Westell WireSpeed modem orginally brought from Miami more than three years ago as I see no gain to come from a change.

So, years later, I remain happy with the Bellsouth/AT&T service, and have now raised the "Value for Money" rating to 5 stars.

UPDATE JANUARY, 2010:

Still getting good speeds - always around 6Mbps- consistently. I changed the name on the account and re-bundled the services with ATT so they dropped the Internet cost by a few dollars. Whoopie. Very few drops of connection, but a reboot of the Westell modem brings it back even then. I feel no need after four years here to change anything.

UPDATE OCTOBER, 2010

I am really sorry to report that the cumulative effect of AT&T's takeover has been simply awful. I have entire dropouts of DSL service and speed has gone from 6Mbs to nearer 2Mbps in the last month. Even the telephone service has deteriorated as there is a big buzz on the line. I did the usual checkups: Replacing cables, rebooting, etc. I checked at the NID interface outside the house and the problem with buzz and modem disconnect persists there as well. I called service and was told they did find a problem and that someone would come out SEVEN DAYS LATER. Of course, no one showed up visibly, although the buzz is less now but my speed remains way below what I pay for.

I can no longer report good things about AT&T. They put a smile in their voice yet do nothing for the customer when it comes down to it. I will likely go with Time-Warner locally for Roadrunner and even for phone service.

UPDATE: DECEMBER 30, 2010

For what it's worth I have finally had it with AT&T's internet and phone service and have gone with our local Time-Warner both for quality and cost reasons.

After many complaints ATT sent two people out to fix repeated outages and a very noisy phone line. One fixed the phone line briefly, working at a nearby node a few blocks away. All the noise and drop outs recurred. Then ATT notified me the cost was to rise in April.

I have now had a successful installation of bundled services and my phone is now crystal clear and my download speeds are twice what they were. All this for much less a month now. I'll review that service in the proper forum section.

Thanks for putting up with this long-time review. The switch to ATT from Bellsouth was a death knell for service here in Greensboro.

Comments:

Review by lordfly See Profile

• Location: Homestead,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "None"
Bad "Constantly dropped, no change of upgrade due to AT&T cancelling upgrades"
Overall "Get rid of it"

The area where I live is very rural. I am currently 14000 feet from the Homestead CO through solid copper and barely get 1.2M/256. Due to the AT&T/Bellsouth merger, all upgrades to my location have been postponed/cancelled. My neighbor across the street is a DSL installer now working with AT&T and he is in the same boat.

Updated: 12/28/2010

I switched to a local WISP (www.skynet360.com) and now get 10/1 for $40/mo. There was a $99 installation charge, but it was worth it. Pings are in the 20-30ms range and download speeds average around 8-10. The lowest I have seen is around 5 and that was because the tower capacity was being used for the Homestead Racetrack. They were running at 40-100 Mbps on uploads. So if you watched the race in November 2010 all of the streaming footage was done using a wireless internet connection.

I will never got back to AT&T and I refuse to get Comcast(CRAP).