AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by ja2007123 See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "None at all"
Bad "Bad Line, Frequent Disconnects"
Overall "Will miss the old Bellsouth."

10-27-07-
I ordered FastAcess DSL Lite for 19.99 last Wednesday and everything went smooth. My self-install kit is supposed arrive next Tuesday.
Yesterday, a technician from Bellsouth came to my house to check my NID, checked my line and fixed a few things.

10-29-07
The modem came just in time. The installation was very easy.
But I don't know why, but my speeds are 200kbps downstream and 148kbps upstream. I will look into fixing this problem. Wll keep you updated!

10-31-07. I finally fixed the problem with my slow speeds. An alarm box not in use on my house was actually interfering with the DSL line. Had to unplug the phone line connected to this box. Now have 650kbps downstream, 106kbps upstream considering my distance from the CO which is ~15,000 ft.

3-7-08
Connection is ok with a couple of disconnects every now and then. I have spotted a couple of DSLAMs around the area but do not server my neighborhood.
Will keep checking bellsouth.com for Extreme 6.0. Cable is also an option if I ever upgrade.

6-16-10.
Uverse is rolling out but still no date for order availability. Ordered a new modem to replace the Westell 6100.

11-18-10
Canceled AT&T after 2 years of ongoing problems.
Might comeback after they roll out U-verse in my neighborhood.

Comments:

Review by squison See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
Good "Sometimes it works and I actually get the speed I pay for"
Bad "Connection drops, I'm barely in range for 3mbps even though I'm downtown"
Overall "It's my only choice, so I'm stuck with it"

I live in a condo in the middle of an Atlanta suburb, so you'd think I'd have my choice of internet providers. Unfortunately, that's not the case and my only viable choice is AT&T DSL. My address only qualifies for 3mbps, and judging by my signal rates I barely qualify for that. As a result, my connection drops at least a once a day. When it returns, it usually syncs at around 2mbps. A modem reset or unplugging/plugging in the phone cable usually results 3mbps for 20-30 hours or so.

I've tried calling tech support to no avail. They come out, reset the modem and magically everything is fine. I've attempted to tell them that yes, it's fine for this moment, but within a day the cycle will start again. As far as they're concerned everything is great. It's exceedingly frustrating. Speaking to my neighbors, I'm not the only one with this problem.

Unfortunately, finding out why my part of town, which is 9 miles away from and on the same road as AT&T's tower in Atlanta, is so poorly wired is next to impossible. What is impossible is getting AT&T to resolve it. 6mbps DSL? Available one street over, but not here. Uverse? Available miles in every direction. For whatever reason, AT&T (and Comcast for that matter) have decided to ignore downtown Decatur, GA.

member for 13.4 years, 1097 visits, last login: 245 days ago

Comments:

Review by Zydaco See Profile

• Location: Taylorsville,Alexander,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Solid, dependable, works everytime."
Bad "Never have gotten close to 6.0. Usually 4.4 and falls quickly."
Overall "Don't expect to get the speed you pay for."

After using this service for almost 2 years, my dsl speeds were over 5.4 megs originally. The last few weeks I have been checking the speeds and it is now down to 2.4 megs on a 6.0 meg connection. So, I've been paying for a 6.0 connection and getting less than half of that for my money. So, today, I downgraded my service to 3.0 since that is all I'm getting anyway.

Again, as I originally posted, do not expect to receive anywhere close to the speed you pay for. I WILL be moving to cable ASAP.

ATT. sucks.

Comments:

Review by mayerjj See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Richland,SC
Good "Fairly Reliable"
Bad "Billing and Customer Service are complete crap"
Overall "Avoid if at all possible."

I had AT&T Fast Access DSL direct for all of a month and a half before I couldn't deal with anymore. I ordered it when I was having my DirecTV installed as my internet option. No problem. The problem came in when I called back to confirm the order and was told it never existed so another order was placed. Long story short I ended up having 2 accounts and nobody in billing and CS would really take the time to figure out and fix the problem. The finally decided to close out the duplicate account.. Then a tech comes out and completely disconnects all service although I still have a good open account. Complete headache and waste of time.

Comments:

Review by RickGonja See Profile

• Location: Friendsville,Blount,TN
Good "Dry Line DSL"
Bad "Speed upgrade took several weeks."
Overall "I have had very few issues. Having issues 13Sept2010-?"

I have had DSL since 2003 which was before Bellsouth merged with AT&T and I have been generally happy with it. I was able to drop my POTS service after the merger and that was actually quite easy. The only real complaint I have was my upgrade to the 6meg service. It actually took several weeks for the new speed to added to my line after the order supposedly completed, but looking at my bill I think they changed my speed when the new billing cycle started and I was not charged for the new speed until the first day of the new billing cycle.

In the 6 years I have had the service I have had very few outages and all have been handled quickly and professionally. The last outage I had was resolved within a day and apparently they had to replace or correct something at the DSLAM.

I am generally very happy with the service and the tech support, with the only hiccup being the upgrade to the 6meg service.

Update 9-20-2010

I has been a bad week for my DSL. AT&T had a couple of outages last week and now I can't keep a PPPOE connection with modem x2 or through router. AT&T is sending a tech on Tuesday Sept 21st to check it out. They wanted to send a modem but I tried another modem and got the same issue. I will update after the tech checks things out.

Update 10-03-2010

Well almost three weeks and still having the same issues, tech support tries but they can't fix the issues because something is wrong at the DSLAM. I have confirmed this issue is not isolated just to me.

Comments:

Review by hatedway See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Carroll,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "DSL is far better than Satellite"
Bad "AT&T decides what speed you get"
Overall "Can no longer recommend AT&T"

I switched over to DSL from Direcway the first chance I could and have not once regretted it. I chose to go with the fastest choice AT&T had to offer DSL Extreme. After a while, I realized that I was not really using that much bandwidth to be paying the higher fee so I switched over to DSL Lite, AT&T's slowest choice, to see what the difference was. I have not noticed any difference in speed to amount to anything. Therefore I would suggest new users sign up for DSL Lite and save a good bit of money.

The only real trouble I have is when it storms. It appears the lightning affects my connection for a few minutes. I assume it is possibly a self-protection system on the DSL line.

I would recommend AT&T's DSL service but I can't say that about their mobile phone service.

9/29/10 - PLEASE DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT RECOMMENDING AT&T!!!!

Due to using Netflix and some other services, I switched back to DSL Extreme, AT&T's 3Mb speed, several years ago. I never really had any trouble unless it was storming, which was not much of problem since I usually shut everything down to avid possible lightning damage. I decided to switch to Ooma VOIP in order to save $50+ each month. I wanted to port my existing phone number to Ooma and "dry loop" my DSL service, which means separating the DSL service from the phone number. When I placed the order, I specifically requested that no changes be made to my DSL service, since everything was working fine with it. I was assured and re-assured that nothing would change.

Well, in the end AT&T decided to cut my line speed in half, to the "Ultra" service. Their claim is that a so-called engineer claims my line is unsuitable for the "Extreme" service, even though I had it for several years with basically no problems. No matter what I say or who I talk to, they refuse to increase my speed, and are rude about it.

Now my Ooma service, Netflix, even general internet browsing have many problems. Their "Ultra" service at 1.5Mb is simply too slow, even for doing only one thing at a time.

Needless to say, I feel lied to and cheated by AT&T. If I lived in a place where I had a choice, I would get rid of AT&T in a heartbeat and never return. That is the reason why I can no longer recommend AT&T as a DSL provider. It is a combination of their refusal to accommodate my needs, the fact that they lied to me, and their rudeness in dealing with them.

Comments:

Review by glhorn See Profile

• Location: Harvest,Madison,AL
Good "Consistent speeds and quality of network (until recently)"
Bad "Past two weeks - evening slowdowns, poor customer service"
Overall "With these slowdowns, might as well get cable's higher peak speeds"

I can't go into the install process since my memory of how it went (3+ years ago) is sketchy (and probably not relevant today). I can say that the service and performance was much better back then with Bellsouth, although AT&T was tolerable up until about two weeks ago. At that time, I began having problems with evening slowdowns on my 6 meg dry line. From about 4-6 PM until past midnight (weekdays- longer periods on weekends), speeds drop consistently below 2 mbps, with the norm being 1-1.5 mbps. All other hours of the day see a steady 5.7 meg. Calling customer support is futile, with escalations to call center management resulting in denials of network problems or other bottlenecks. They (management) even tell me that speeds are no longer guaranteed at all - no minimum whatsoever now. Judging by other similar complaints, it seems the problem is widespread throughout the region. I am also now connected to Mediacom cable as well and get 7-11.5 mbps with their service at all times. The local AT&T techs - one in particular - have gone out of their way to help, but the local connection is fine. I'm to the end of my rope and will probably drop my AT&T DSL very soon. In fact, I haven't been all that happy with AT&T's cell service either and will probably switch that as well, due partly to the impetus from my DSL Headaches. Here's a link to my recent speed results: »/testhistory/583599/33ad2

Comments:

Review by iwantmystuff See Profile

• Location: Locust Fork,Blount,AL
Good "Slow as Christmas"
Bad "Downgrade to 1.5 meg and cannot upgrade"
Overall "average service. pricy Dropped DSL and fianlly got Uverse"

Outages constantly over the summer. Cannot get any faster speeds. U-verse is not available. No competing services available. They have been running all kinds of cables and fiber up and down the highway just a 1/8 mile down the road but i think it is all related to their wireless services.

Uverse finally arrived. Yee Haah.

Comments:

Review by rick1959 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "It works...slowly, sometimes"
Bad "Just about everything"
Overall "If you have no other choice..........It's a little better than nothing..."

Got the top version DSL (6.0 extreme) back in March for $27.00/month. I see it is down to $15.00/month now. Service is uneven and relatively slow at 2-3Mbps down and 0.4 up. Service sucks with offshore help. Time to look at Comcast. Hope this helps folks in Miami......

member for 10.1 years, 153 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by teamusa5 See Profile

• Location: Palm Beach Gardens,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Not many"
Bad "Telephone Quality, poor DSL preformance, no service on lines"
Overall "Don't use these people."

I have had AT&T (Formerly Bellsouth) for ten years. The performance of AT&T is at best a very marginally fair. I considered Comcast when first installing but technical issues with availability and plans prohibited Comcast's selection.

AT&T installed high speed ADSL at my house which was upgraded to the highest speed available (3 Megs) and 10 static IP's for my purposes. They also provided a telephone line and a fax line to my house and consolidated the bill. The first problem was that if you wanted a static IP, you had to agree to their business service. The total bill was $350.00/month ($90.00/month ADSL) outrageous but they had the corner on the market.

Over ten years there were trouble calls with ADSL speed or even availability every 3-4 months in which either the speed would fall out the bottom or the ADSL would quit working altogether. At about the same frequency the telephones, usually the main ADSL line, would have such poor quality that conversations were unintelligible due to static and other interference.

AT&T would send a repairman out in about three days who would tell me that my location was at the limit of the cable and that the cable is old and damaged and should have been replaced ten years ago. (that was in 2001!!!).

With AT&T the only game in town, I suffered through 3M ADSL running at 75K and countless repairmen telling me the AT&T facilities were lousy and they could not do anything about it. Not until a year after installation did a repairmen install an ADSL splitter to separate the voice and ADSL signals. Wow, the ADSL went up to 2500 kbps! I wonder where the install geniuses were when I asked them that question initially. Duh, where is the access point so I can have the ADSL separated from the phones? Answer(AT&T) You don;t need it we use filters on the phones. (Doesn't work with multi-line systems.)

I have had outages up to six weeks with no response from AT&T although they were certainly very good about threatening me about paying their bill even though they couldn't supply the service.

Always there was an issue with the line 1, the ADSL line, having static and poor voice quality after about a year but ADSL worked well.

Then comes December, 2009. The police call me while out-of-town that there was a 911 call from my house. Obviously the only thing alive were the computers and they haven't reached the sophistication of calling the police. Then on December 31, 2009 I woke to find my house surrounded by police who proceeded to draw weapons on me, search me and accuse me of calling 911 and hanging up. Then they tried to take me off to the funny farm and after $27,500 in legal fees fell on their face.

Nothing else happened for a while than July and August 2010. I returned from a business trip and cut my grass, went to bed and woke up to the police breaking in my front door, assaulting me in my house with weapons telling me that I was a "dead person" in their book and they would love to but .40 caliber rounds in me. I found out there was another false 911 call.

I checked the AT&T lines and as in December the line was full of static. I called repair for an urgent repair order since I had just about been killed by the police. AT&T said they would get around to it in three or four days. They did send out a technician who told me that they were having problems with the cable and it should have been replaced "10 years ago."

On Sunday morning at 5 am, while waiting for AT&T to "get around to it", the police were at my door breaking it down, again. They were about to take me away when my girlfriend who was staying over came out and told them that they woke us up with breaking down the door and no one had called 911.

After that I took bolt cutter and cut the AT&T cable. The police still had 4 more calls from my house according to police and AT&T (They also provide the 911 system to the police),

I called up Comcast and Vonage and switched to cable and VOIP and everything was up and running before AT&T got out to fix the problem.

Curiously enough, when troubleshooting the new system the ADSL splitter was still attached to the interface box and I still had the same static and difficulty with the line 1. After removing the box, the line cleared.

The apparent cause of most of the problems was a defective ADSL splitter. The AT&T repairmen didn't have a clue what it was or what its function was so they did nothing. The ADSL splitter being defective probably gave line signals back that was interpreted by the 911 system as a cut cable or other tampering and generated 911 calls. If I could fire the police I would fire them also but at least AT&T is out of my life except for the ensuing court battle to follow.

member for 13.3 years, 182 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago