AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by Zydaco See Profile

• Location: Taylorsville,Alexander,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Solid, dependable, works everytime."
Bad "Never have gotten close to 6.0. Usually 4.4 and falls quickly."
Overall "Don't expect to get the speed you pay for."

After using this service for almost 2 years, my dsl speeds were over 5.4 megs originally. The last few weeks I have been checking the speeds and it is now down to 2.4 megs on a 6.0 meg connection. So, I've been paying for a 6.0 connection and getting less than half of that for my money. So, today, I downgraded my service to 3.0 since that is all I'm getting anyway.

Again, as I originally posted, do not expect to receive anywhere close to the speed you pay for. I WILL be moving to cable ASAP.

ATT. sucks.

Comments:

Review by mayerjj See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Richland,SC
Good "Fairly Reliable"
Bad "Billing and Customer Service are complete crap"
Overall "Avoid if at all possible."

I had AT&T Fast Access DSL direct for all of a month and a half before I couldn't deal with anymore. I ordered it when I was having my DirecTV installed as my internet option. No problem. The problem came in when I called back to confirm the order and was told it never existed so another order was placed. Long story short I ended up having 2 accounts and nobody in billing and CS would really take the time to figure out and fix the problem. The finally decided to close out the duplicate account.. Then a tech comes out and completely disconnects all service although I still have a good open account. Complete headache and waste of time.

Comments:

Review by RickGonja See Profile

• Location: Friendsville,Blount,TN
Good "Dry Line DSL"
Bad "Speed upgrade took several weeks."
Overall "I have had very few issues. Having issues 13Sept2010-?"

I have had DSL since 2003 which was before Bellsouth merged with AT&T and I have been generally happy with it. I was able to drop my POTS service after the merger and that was actually quite easy. The only real complaint I have was my upgrade to the 6meg service. It actually took several weeks for the new speed to added to my line after the order supposedly completed, but looking at my bill I think they changed my speed when the new billing cycle started and I was not charged for the new speed until the first day of the new billing cycle.

In the 6 years I have had the service I have had very few outages and all have been handled quickly and professionally. The last outage I had was resolved within a day and apparently they had to replace or correct something at the DSLAM.

I am generally very happy with the service and the tech support, with the only hiccup being the upgrade to the 6meg service.

Update 9-20-2010

I has been a bad week for my DSL. AT&T had a couple of outages last week and now I can't keep a PPPOE connection with modem x2 or through router. AT&T is sending a tech on Tuesday Sept 21st to check it out. They wanted to send a modem but I tried another modem and got the same issue. I will update after the tech checks things out.

Update 10-03-2010

Well almost three weeks and still having the same issues, tech support tries but they can't fix the issues because something is wrong at the DSLAM. I have confirmed this issue is not isolated just to me.

Comments:

Review by hatedway See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Carroll,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "DSL is far better than Satellite"
Bad "AT&T decides what speed you get"
Overall "Can no longer recommend AT&T"

I switched over to DSL from Direcway the first chance I could and have not once regretted it. I chose to go with the fastest choice AT&T had to offer DSL Extreme. After a while, I realized that I was not really using that much bandwidth to be paying the higher fee so I switched over to DSL Lite, AT&T's slowest choice, to see what the difference was. I have not noticed any difference in speed to amount to anything. Therefore I would suggest new users sign up for DSL Lite and save a good bit of money.

The only real trouble I have is when it storms. It appears the lightning affects my connection for a few minutes. I assume it is possibly a self-protection system on the DSL line.

I would recommend AT&T's DSL service but I can't say that about their mobile phone service.

9/29/10 - PLEASE DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT RECOMMENDING AT&T!!!!

Due to using Netflix and some other services, I switched back to DSL Extreme, AT&T's 3Mb speed, several years ago. I never really had any trouble unless it was storming, which was not much of problem since I usually shut everything down to avid possible lightning damage. I decided to switch to Ooma VOIP in order to save $50+ each month. I wanted to port my existing phone number to Ooma and "dry loop" my DSL service, which means separating the DSL service from the phone number. When I placed the order, I specifically requested that no changes be made to my DSL service, since everything was working fine with it. I was assured and re-assured that nothing would change.

Well, in the end AT&T decided to cut my line speed in half, to the "Ultra" service. Their claim is that a so-called engineer claims my line is unsuitable for the "Extreme" service, even though I had it for several years with basically no problems. No matter what I say or who I talk to, they refuse to increase my speed, and are rude about it.

Now my Ooma service, Netflix, even general internet browsing have many problems. Their "Ultra" service at 1.5Mb is simply too slow, even for doing only one thing at a time.

Needless to say, I feel lied to and cheated by AT&T. If I lived in a place where I had a choice, I would get rid of AT&T in a heartbeat and never return. That is the reason why I can no longer recommend AT&T as a DSL provider. It is a combination of their refusal to accommodate my needs, the fact that they lied to me, and their rudeness in dealing with them.

Comments:

Review by glhorn See Profile

• Location: Harvest,Madison,AL
Good "Consistent speeds and quality of network (until recently)"
Bad "Past two weeks - evening slowdowns, poor customer service"
Overall "With these slowdowns, might as well get cable's higher peak speeds"

I can't go into the install process since my memory of how it went (3+ years ago) is sketchy (and probably not relevant today). I can say that the service and performance was much better back then with Bellsouth, although AT&T was tolerable up until about two weeks ago. At that time, I began having problems with evening slowdowns on my 6 meg dry line. From about 4-6 PM until past midnight (weekdays- longer periods on weekends), speeds drop consistently below 2 mbps, with the norm being 1-1.5 mbps. All other hours of the day see a steady 5.7 meg. Calling customer support is futile, with escalations to call center management resulting in denials of network problems or other bottlenecks. They (management) even tell me that speeds are no longer guaranteed at all - no minimum whatsoever now. Judging by other similar complaints, it seems the problem is widespread throughout the region. I am also now connected to Mediacom cable as well and get 7-11.5 mbps with their service at all times. The local AT&T techs - one in particular - have gone out of their way to help, but the local connection is fine. I'm to the end of my rope and will probably drop my AT&T DSL very soon. In fact, I haven't been all that happy with AT&T's cell service either and will probably switch that as well, due partly to the impetus from my DSL Headaches. Here's a link to my recent speed results: »/testhistory/583599/33ad2

Comments:

Review by iwantmystuff See Profile

• Location: Locust Fork,Blount,AL
Good "Slow as Christmas"
Bad "Downgrade to 1.5 meg and cannot upgrade"
Overall "average service. pricy Dropped DSL and fianlly got Uverse"

Outages constantly over the summer. Cannot get any faster speeds. U-verse is not available. No competing services available. They have been running all kinds of cables and fiber up and down the highway just a 1/8 mile down the road but i think it is all related to their wireless services.

Uverse finally arrived. Yee Haah.

Comments:

Review by rick1959 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "It works...slowly, sometimes"
Bad "Just about everything"
Overall "If you have no other choice..........It's a little better than nothing..."

Got the top version DSL (6.0 extreme) back in March for $27.00/month. I see it is down to $15.00/month now. Service is uneven and relatively slow at 2-3Mbps down and 0.4 up. Service sucks with offshore help. Time to look at Comcast. Hope this helps folks in Miami......

Comments:

Review by teamusa5 See Profile

• Location: Palm Beach Gardens,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Not many"
Bad "Telephone Quality, poor DSL preformance, no service on lines"
Overall "Don't use these people."

I have had AT&T (Formerly Bellsouth) for ten years. The performance of AT&T is at best a very marginally fair. I considered Comcast when first installing but technical issues with availability and plans prohibited Comcast's selection.

AT&T installed high speed ADSL at my house which was upgraded to the highest speed available (3 Megs) and 10 static IP's for my purposes. They also provided a telephone line and a fax line to my house and consolidated the bill. The first problem was that if you wanted a static IP, you had to agree to their business service. The total bill was $350.00/month ($90.00/month ADSL) outrageous but they had the corner on the market.

Over ten years there were trouble calls with ADSL speed or even availability every 3-4 months in which either the speed would fall out the bottom or the ADSL would quit working altogether. At about the same frequency the telephones, usually the main ADSL line, would have such poor quality that conversations were unintelligible due to static and other interference.

AT&T would send a repairman out in about three days who would tell me that my location was at the limit of the cable and that the cable is old and damaged and should have been replaced ten years ago. (that was in 2001!!!).

With AT&T the only game in town, I suffered through 3M ADSL running at 75K and countless repairmen telling me the AT&T facilities were lousy and they could not do anything about it. Not until a year after installation did a repairmen install an ADSL splitter to separate the voice and ADSL signals. Wow, the ADSL went up to 2500 kbps! I wonder where the install geniuses were when I asked them that question initially. Duh, where is the access point so I can have the ADSL separated from the phones? Answer(AT&T) You don;t need it we use filters on the phones. (Doesn't work with multi-line systems.)

I have had outages up to six weeks with no response from AT&T although they were certainly very good about threatening me about paying their bill even though they couldn't supply the service.

Always there was an issue with the line 1, the ADSL line, having static and poor voice quality after about a year but ADSL worked well.

Then comes December, 2009. The police call me while out-of-town that there was a 911 call from my house. Obviously the only thing alive were the computers and they haven't reached the sophistication of calling the police. Then on December 31, 2009 I woke to find my house surrounded by police who proceeded to draw weapons on me, search me and accuse me of calling 911 and hanging up. Then they tried to take me off to the funny farm and after $27,500 in legal fees fell on their face.

Nothing else happened for a while than July and August 2010. I returned from a business trip and cut my grass, went to bed and woke up to the police breaking in my front door, assaulting me in my house with weapons telling me that I was a "dead person" in their book and they would love to but .40 caliber rounds in me. I found out there was another false 911 call.

I checked the AT&T lines and as in December the line was full of static. I called repair for an urgent repair order since I had just about been killed by the police. AT&T said they would get around to it in three or four days. They did send out a technician who told me that they were having problems with the cable and it should have been replaced "10 years ago."

On Sunday morning at 5 am, while waiting for AT&T to "get around to it", the police were at my door breaking it down, again. They were about to take me away when my girlfriend who was staying over came out and told them that they woke us up with breaking down the door and no one had called 911.

After that I took bolt cutter and cut the AT&T cable. The police still had 4 more calls from my house according to police and AT&T (They also provide the 911 system to the police),

I called up Comcast and Vonage and switched to cable and VOIP and everything was up and running before AT&T got out to fix the problem.

Curiously enough, when troubleshooting the new system the ADSL splitter was still attached to the interface box and I still had the same static and difficulty with the line 1. After removing the box, the line cleared.

The apparent cause of most of the problems was a defective ADSL splitter. The AT&T repairmen didn't have a clue what it was or what its function was so they did nothing. The ADSL splitter being defective probably gave line signals back that was interpreted by the 911 system as a cut cable or other tampering and generated 911 calls. If I could fire the police I would fire them also but at least AT&T is out of my life except for the ensuing court battle to follow.

Comments:

Review by Racy See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "None!"
Bad "Slow at peak times, Slow at all other times. Terrible Service"
Overall "Bellsouth needs to upgrade IFITL customers or I will be a Cable customer soon. UPDATE: I AM ONE NOW!"

UPDATE 9/5/2010

Left Bellsouth beginning of the year and never looked back with comcast now, seeing 10 times the speeds I was seeing on IFITL.

UPDATE 9/10/2009

Last time I updated the review was 3 years ago, I thought I would do this once more. So while the price remains the same IFITL customers for this region are hurting BAD! Speeds are as slow as 56k sometimes during peak hours. Just horrible service all around. The only good thing about ATT is using the wifi hotspots at starbucks when I am not at home. Everything else is CRAP!

I should note that I was having a conversation about VDSL2+ upgrades almost 4 years ago they said we would see upgrades in 2006 it is now 2009 and still NOTHING has been done.

I am not home as much now so the service remains at my residence. I will be switching to Comcast soon.

UPDATE 1/7/06

New Year decided to update my review once again, due to the recent price drops i have found that I am prepared to stay with bellsouth for a while longer i now pay $35 for IFITL speeds are now 1.8/256. I guess one thing i have been taking for granted about bellsouth is the downtime there has been only one incident in the 5 odd years i have been with bellsouth. I thank them for that and i hope to seeing a speed increase for IFITL customers soon... heres to wishful thinking.

UPDATE 6/14/05 i guess its time to update again, its 2005 and most other people with copper are now getting twice the speeds for about the same price... i was thinking about swtiching to comcast last month but i decided to give BS another chance... i have a router set up now and 3 computers hooked up to it. BS does not offer their networking package with IFITL so i had to buy my own equipment, I use a Netgear WGR 614, wired...

Anyway i hope Bellsouth gives us IFITL customers some attention my speeds now are jus around 1.9mbps down 250kbps up not so great for what im paying but i am hopeful that i will see speed increases by the end of the year. This is BS last chance if i do not see an upgrade in the next 6 months im jumping ship to cable probably as my nieghborhood is IFITL and I wont be able to qualify for any other DSL package.

1/30/03 well its been 2 years and i decided to update my review after quite a while... everything has been going great since i ordered my DSL yea there has been some ups and downs but those were corrected fast.... i did change my password a couple of weeks ago and that went smooth the techs were very friendly and the wait was around 5 min. i would still recommend this IFITL service for anyone who applies to it. i still get speed well above the advertised 1500/256 i get around 2000/256 and i am satisfied

Original Review: Bellsouth DSL IFITL, PPPoE, Dynamic IP, 1500-256 advertised

I was playing a online game and every1 was complaing about lag so it hit me DSL! found Bellsouth to be a good ISP in my area i ordered online i didnt even talk to a person..... and as the e-mail said 10 days later a guy was at my house putting up my DSL as instalasation was free (which is pretty rare)... well when i got it we had to pay $40 they increased it to $45 (which i dont mind at all) and its been all good ever since i first got on the comp with my DSL......they actually configured my comp to get best performance from DSL and when i got my new comp i phoned them for free and got my DSL up and running in 2 seconds.......well i usually go 1.9 mbps down and 256 kbps up ( its supposed to go 1.5mbps down and 256 kbps up) .....oh yeah and i ddint even need a modem cuz i have IFITL so i just needed a network PCI card which they installed in my computer i guess it has do to with something as my nieghborhood is fiber optics so its like some special service...........and for the matter for down hours id say ive seen at least 24 hrs of down time per year! which is pretty good! compared to other Cable and DSL users.....well theres my speel about Bellsouth DSL u live in Georgia well Bellsouth DSL should be your choice!

Comments:

Review by jayperkins See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Good choice only if you have no other choices"
Bad " DNS server slowdown issues, network over capacity, lost packets and slow speeds"
Overall "at&t WAS great, but now overcapacity, slow. Go with CableOne in this area."

July 31, 2010 Update.After a few years of ATT Dsl and enjoying rock solid 6.25 to 6.30Mbps downloads, my speed suddenly dropped to 4.1 Mbps two weeks ago. I live 3.5 blocks from the central office. After several tech calls and two new modems — no improvement. I have great SN, and only 19.0 db line attenuation.

ATT changed my profile to try to fix it, only to make the speed drop further. I think ATT must have overextended their network. My cable connection is the rock solid one now, that delivers promised speeds. ( I have both, extra one is for the kids)

NOTE: ATT customer service says that any speed over 3.0Mbps is now considered within acceptable range for a 6.0 connection. Huh. I wonder if they are telling new customers that when they place the order.

April 13, 2010 update: ATT DSL extreme still providing consistent and reliable service. I have added cable modem for work to improve upload speeds on big projects.

Bottom line for me: when the power is out, I have DSL -- but cable goes down. Note: I have a 20 hour UPS battery system and a backup generator that powers router modem and 2 laptops so I can keep working.

Jan 22, 2006 update. I have been using Bellsouth DSL since May 2001. I Upgraded to 6.0 service. It syncs at 8.1, so I am getting actual speeds like 6152 down and 412 up (»www.speakeasy.net/speedtest on Jan 25 2006 7:37 am to Dallas).

It is fast and reliable service. I don't even have to think about it. I haven't used tech support in a couple of years, so I can't really make any comments about that.

I also have CableOne 4.0/400 service. It is fine but not as rock solid reliable.

2005
New actual speeds of 2900/318 on dfw.speakeasy.net, which is nice. I have had problems with POP3 and DNS servers for months though. Setup a DNS server on my on an old computer and switched to Gmail for POP3 worked around that though.

2004
upgraded to 3.0 mbps service as well as a second 3.0 DSL line at the guest house. Upgraded service was working 3 days after order. I self installed the new second DSL and the circuit was also up 3 business days after order. I don't use Bellsouth email or newsgroups, so I can't comment on that part of the service. What I can say is, Bellsouth continues to give me rock solid reliable DSL service . 318up and 2540 down per dfw.speakeasy.net. Same speeds on both lines.
2002
The DSL service is just stable as can be. 1250/216 speeds anytime day or night.
I installed in April 2001, switching from ISDN. I self installed with USB, then ordered Speedtouch home and upgraded it to SpeedTouch Pro. It works so well I don't dare change it. Worked from minute one. Downloads were only 650k though. I stumbled opon DSL reports, upped my RWIN and speed went to 1250 down 216 up. Dynamic IP.

UPDATE 4/14/04 Upgraded to 385/3.0 service and I am getting 2516 down and 322 up on DSLR speed test. Very happy with that for $49.95 mo with Static IP.

Overall, great package, speed and reliability. (especially for a small town in Mississippi) and good pricing. I had a second connection with a cable modem load balanced through a Nexland router, the cable service was not as reliable though.