AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by Racy See Profile

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "None!"
Bad "Slow at peak times, Slow at all other times. Terrible Service"
Overall "Bellsouth needs to upgrade IFITL customers or I will be a Cable customer soon. UPDATE: I AM ONE NOW!"

UPDATE 9/5/2010

Left Bellsouth beginning of the year and never looked back with comcast now, seeing 10 times the speeds I was seeing on IFITL.

UPDATE 9/10/2009

Last time I updated the review was 3 years ago, I thought I would do this once more. So while the price remains the same IFITL customers for this region are hurting BAD! Speeds are as slow as 56k sometimes during peak hours. Just horrible service all around. The only good thing about ATT is using the wifi hotspots at starbucks when I am not at home. Everything else is CRAP!

I should note that I was having a conversation about VDSL2+ upgrades almost 4 years ago they said we would see upgrades in 2006 it is now 2009 and still NOTHING has been done.

I am not home as much now so the service remains at my residence. I will be switching to Comcast soon.

UPDATE 1/7/06

New Year decided to update my review once again, due to the recent price drops i have found that I am prepared to stay with bellsouth for a while longer i now pay $35 for IFITL speeds are now 1.8/256. I guess one thing i have been taking for granted about bellsouth is the downtime there has been only one incident in the 5 odd years i have been with bellsouth. I thank them for that and i hope to seeing a speed increase for IFITL customers soon... heres to wishful thinking.

UPDATE 6/14/05 i guess its time to update again, its 2005 and most other people with copper are now getting twice the speeds for about the same price... i was thinking about swtiching to comcast last month but i decided to give BS another chance... i have a router set up now and 3 computers hooked up to it. BS does not offer their networking package with IFITL so i had to buy my own equipment, I use a Netgear WGR 614, wired...

Anyway i hope Bellsouth gives us IFITL customers some attention my speeds now are jus around 1.9mbps down 250kbps up not so great for what im paying but i am hopeful that i will see speed increases by the end of the year. This is BS last chance if i do not see an upgrade in the next 6 months im jumping ship to cable probably as my nieghborhood is IFITL and I wont be able to qualify for any other DSL package.

1/30/03 well its been 2 years and i decided to update my review after quite a while... everything has been going great since i ordered my DSL yea there has been some ups and downs but those were corrected fast.... i did change my password a couple of weeks ago and that went smooth the techs were very friendly and the wait was around 5 min. i would still recommend this IFITL service for anyone who applies to it. i still get speed well above the advertised 1500/256 i get around 2000/256 and i am satisfied

Original Review: Bellsouth DSL IFITL, PPPoE, Dynamic IP, 1500-256 advertised

I was playing a online game and every1 was complaing about lag so it hit me DSL! found Bellsouth to be a good ISP in my area i ordered online i didnt even talk to a person..... and as the e-mail said 10 days later a guy was at my house putting up my DSL as instalasation was free (which is pretty rare)... well when i got it we had to pay $40 they increased it to $45 (which i dont mind at all) and its been all good ever since i first got on the comp with my DSL......they actually configured my comp to get best performance from DSL and when i got my new comp i phoned them for free and got my DSL up and running in 2 seconds.......well i usually go 1.9 mbps down and 256 kbps up ( its supposed to go 1.5mbps down and 256 kbps up) .....oh yeah and i ddint even need a modem cuz i have IFITL so i just needed a network PCI card which they installed in my computer i guess it has do to with something as my nieghborhood is fiber optics so its like some special service...........and for the matter for down hours id say ive seen at least 24 hrs of down time per year! which is pretty good! compared to other Cable and DSL users.....well theres my speel about Bellsouth DSL u live in Georgia well Bellsouth DSL should be your choice!

member for 13.6 years, 1219 visits, last login: 265 days ago

Comments:

Review by jayperkins See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Good choice only if you have no other choices"
Bad " DNS server slowdown issues, network over capacity, lost packets and slow speeds"
Overall "at&t WAS great, but now overcapacity, slow. Go with CableOne in this area."

July 31, 2010 Update.After a few years of ATT Dsl and enjoying rock solid 6.25 to 6.30Mbps downloads, my speed suddenly dropped to 4.1 Mbps two weeks ago. I live 3.5 blocks from the central office. After several tech calls and two new modems — no improvement. I have great SN, and only 19.0 db line attenuation.

ATT changed my profile to try to fix it, only to make the speed drop further. I think ATT must have overextended their network. My cable connection is the rock solid one now, that delivers promised speeds. ( I have both, extra one is for the kids)

NOTE: ATT customer service says that any speed over 3.0Mbps is now considered within acceptable range for a 6.0 connection. Huh. I wonder if they are telling new customers that when they place the order.

April 13, 2010 update: ATT DSL extreme still providing consistent and reliable service. I have added cable modem for work to improve upload speeds on big projects.

Bottom line for me: when the power is out, I have DSL -- but cable goes down. Note: I have a 20 hour UPS battery system and a backup generator that powers router modem and 2 laptops so I can keep working.

Jan 22, 2006 update. I have been using Bellsouth DSL since May 2001. I Upgraded to 6.0 service. It syncs at 8.1, so I am getting actual speeds like 6152 down and 412 up (»www.speakeasy.net/speedtest on Jan 25 2006 7:37 am to Dallas).

It is fast and reliable service. I don't even have to think about it. I haven't used tech support in a couple of years, so I can't really make any comments about that.

I also have CableOne 4.0/400 service. It is fine but not as rock solid reliable.

2005
New actual speeds of 2900/318 on dfw.speakeasy.net, which is nice. I have had problems with POP3 and DNS servers for months though. Setup a DNS server on my on an old computer and switched to Gmail for POP3 worked around that though.

2004
upgraded to 3.0 mbps service as well as a second 3.0 DSL line at the guest house. Upgraded service was working 3 days after order. I self installed the new second DSL and the circuit was also up 3 business days after order. I don't use Bellsouth email or newsgroups, so I can't comment on that part of the service. What I can say is, Bellsouth continues to give me rock solid reliable DSL service . 318up and 2540 down per dfw.speakeasy.net. Same speeds on both lines.
2002
The DSL service is just stable as can be. 1250/216 speeds anytime day or night.
I installed in April 2001, switching from ISDN. I self installed with USB, then ordered Speedtouch home and upgraded it to SpeedTouch Pro. It works so well I don't dare change it. Worked from minute one. Downloads were only 650k though. I stumbled opon DSL reports, upped my RWIN and speed went to 1250 down 216 up. Dynamic IP.

UPDATE 4/14/04 Upgraded to 385/3.0 service and I am getting 2516 down and 322 up on DSLR speed test. Very happy with that for $49.95 mo with Static IP.

Overall, great package, speed and reliability. (especially for a small town in Mississippi) and good pricing. I had a second connection with a cable modem load balanced through a Nexland router, the cable service was not as reliable though.

member for 13.5 years, 952 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by hayabusa3303 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Florence,SC
Good "Rare it was offline."
Bad "Sales and tech need to quit passing the ball no who problem it is."
Overall "If you live in a old apartment look out dsl might be no good."

6/30/09

I moved to the other side of town where dsl was not around AGAIN. You would think they would keep up with there service and expand but i guess not back to TW again.

3/24/09

First off i would like to say at&t hasnt been that great of a isp since the move into a new place. The day they where to get everything going FAILED. Sales reps are getting worst about passing the ball now. Sales passes the problem to tech support and they in turn pass it back to sales.

After getting the dsl online keep getting kicked offline. Dsl light would go off and modem would reboot come back up and do it all over again. Called tech support and they said my line was bad, fine get a tech out to fix it. Tech tested the line and said there is nothing i can do your a max sync for 6.0,the line in the apartment was to old and i mean old wiring where i live. All he said we could do is drop to maybe 3.0 or 1.5.

That said dropping that far and the price doesnt justify in staying with att not at 37.95 a month or even 32.95 for 1.5 thats alittle pricey. Even the tech said, he couldnt say for sure if it would sync at 3.0 or 1.5 and stay sync at those speeds.

Currently no uverse for this area for 5 more years here.

Off to crap Time warner again, tho i will miss att (maybe i will get lucky and move soon) but there copper has failed.

11/2/08

2 days online with this post i will update soon:

Ordered Dry dsl line and and was told they could have it on by the end of he day. With in 2 hours my dsl was online.

Set up was alittle of a pain but it is about par when you use pppoe i guess. After about 3 times to login failure it started working (strange).

Modem motorola 2100 nice small and compact. Wow what a small modem.

I know it might be at&t but so far i have to say they are above Tw. I did call there tech support and spoke to nice people, when i was having a login failure. Even said they would roll a truck just to make sure. ( when was the last time you heard that from the telco).

Bottom Line very nice, now they need to bring vdsl here but wishful thinking.

sync rates are 8100/522 pro at 6000/512.

Comments:

Review by FBpirate See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "they aren't comcast"
Bad "unreliable, slow speeds"
Overall "if there was someone else available, they'd be history"

stuck in south florida in an area with almost no choices. att delivers some of the worst service here that i have ever had. it is not uncommon to loose connection every couple minutes for days on end. it is never their problem, even though no equipment or settings have been changed on our end.

we have had them scam us and say we asked for services we never did ask for.

service is supposed to be 3mbps, that's on a good day.

there isn't 6mbps available. they will sell it to you, but the service won't go any faster than a couple hundred mbps over 3mbps.

att, when they took over bellsouth, ruined the service. just like they have with every other company they've taken over. bellsouth was rock solid and reliable. this is garbage.

all in all, i would tell someone to walk their files to a client. it will get there faster and more reliably than transmitting them through att's service.

i would also like to note, that one of the first things that att screwed up was bellsouth's network status page. that thing was wonderful.

att just leaves you in the dark now. they are practically worthless.

Comments:

Review by gatnos See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "They eventually answer the phone"
Bad "DSL Connection is unreliable and does not deliver 1/5 the advertised speed."
Overall "I'll find another provider"

I have the AT&T Ultra DSL service, which is supposed to deliver up to 1.5Mbps download. On good days, I'll get about 900Kbps, but on most days the download speed is much less. Lately test results showed a speed of 375Kbps ( the best of 5 tests). When I contacted technical service, they insisted that there was no problem with their equipment. Since the DSL modem connects directly to the phone line and the telephones are on a whole house filter, I suspect the problem is with their equipment and told them so. AT&T told me that they will troubleshoot on their end, but will bill me $189/hr to do so (the arrogance!). They also insisted on changing out my DSL modem at a cost to me of $40. This is the second DSL modem I've had to purchase. Well, the new modem is installed and there is no change in download speed. I'll be switching providers.

Comments:

Review by glenndale See Profile

• Location: Valdosta,Lowndes,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "fast compaired to some, good tech service, (hahahaha) That can be a joke!!!"
Bad "very slow at times, fast most of the time, software sucks,I don't use it. recommend manual set up."
Overall "For the moneyI will find a better deal,After all I'm not getting extream6 sevice all thetim"

Vontage

at&t extream6 at $47.99 amonth on a 2 year contract.

The set up was easey, Confirguring the wirless was a pain, and slow, so i went with the lan cables, and duped the att software.

It came with a Gateway 2Wire router. and wireless Dongels

At times, it can be real slow, I've check every thing By the way, you guys rock at dslreports.com.Thank you.

Comments:

Review by skip0327 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "None"
Bad "Terrible connection speed, terrible customer service"
Overall "Unless your residence is next door to a CO, don't bother with AT&T."

AT&T (Bellsouth) DSL service is awful. I considered Time Warner Road Runner, but those guys are worse. I have the "Extreme" DSL service - supposedly 6M download, I'm lucky to get 2.5M. The ordering process was straight forward, the DSL modem (Motorola) was received timely and the setup routine. I tested the connection from multiple sites and could never get a decent connection. I contacted AT&T tech support and after troubleshooting, the support tech informed me DSL was a non-guaranteed, best effort service!

To top everything off. The DSL service was down in my area, for at least three days, starting May 24, 2010. AT&T tech support offered no assistance, nothing was posted on their website, no explanation, nothing. Finally the local news reported the service was down but the reporters couldn't get an answer either. Finally the reporter was referred to Louisiana, I'm in Charlotte, NC. and the explanation was "it was probably software related".

I wouldn't advise anyone to utilize this service.

Comments:

Review by jimk See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "No home phone service required"
Bad "Annoying registration process, Some billing and information glitches at first, poor support, decreasing reliability and speed."
Overall "Not good... not good."

Service canceled due to loss of features, slow speed, outages, and absolutely terrible customer support (on the rare instances where I actually reached a human rather than infinite hold music, busy signals, or disconnected calls).

The local techs tried to fix my problems but were hampered by AT&T's policies and lack of communication between departments. I could tell they were as frustrated as I was.

Avoid this service unless your only alternative is dialup or satellite... then it might be better, but be prepared for outages.

Further, the registration process is annoying and loads your computer with crap. If you can't find a way around it, I recommend setting it up in a virtual machine or system you are about to re-format anyways.

I was a DSL Direct customer - no home phone service. That was the one good thing about the service.

member for 8.6 years, 3606 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HKM See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Stable dependable connection."
Bad "Unacceptable 512Kbps maximum upstream by today's standards."
Overall "Inferior infrastructure unable to support the need of current consumers. Thus slowing down development for future innovation."

UPDATE-2 (May 2010): Well, can't say much as we all know where the U-Verse development stands today aka no where as we all predicated. So almost a year has passed and I am same place where I was for few years with BellSouth and now with AT&T, the only difference is now that AT&T can't actually beat Comcast on anything as Comcast offers 12mbps/2mbps for $58 while AT&T still offering 6mbps/512kbps for $42. Don't forget AT&T's customer retention plan which is a $10 discount previous from $20 discount. Which don't actually make sense but hey AT&T is big they won't lose me as a customer if I cancel as they don't give a fuck about anyone at this point even if 50k people cancel they will just raise a dollar to everyone else and recover from it. So much for breaking up AT&T's monopoly.

UPDATE-1 (July 2009): So where am I? same place where I was when I wrote this. So much for useless U-Verse maybe by 2019 ill see it when everyone is rocking true fiber and Death Star is still trying to patch the chicken wire copper to milk it for everything its worth.

Other than reliable connection for service uptime AT&T/BellSouth offers nothing special for the price the tier being advertised. Don't forget AT&T's low priority in developing and deploying fiber based transit to meet the need of current consumers as their static modem stuck in 2000.

If AT&T does establish CAP in residential ADSL circuit then ill just totally drop all my service with them and move on another company most likely Comcast. Now I have had ADSL service from late 2002 with BellSouth and now AT&T and so far they done nothing to improve or upgrade the upstream other than increase useless downstream.

Now I have 6/month's promotional offer from AT&T which gives me 2 x ($10.00) discount on my current bill. Which brings it to $22/month for 6 months from $42. When the promotional offer is over I am most likely to cancel my ADSL-HSI and move on Comcast-HSI as even they offer 1-3mbps upstream.

PS: Don't even bring U-verse BS here as its useless and won't see it till 2012. Also it doesn't even come close to Verizon's FiOS or Comcast's DOCSIS. AT&T's will soon find itself in deep water as more and more user just switch to their competitors as they refuse to upgrade to their POS U-verse which is doomed to begin with.

Comments:

Review by DoctorDave See Profile

• Location: Denham Springs,Livingston,LA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Quick install, reasonably fast turn-up"
Bad "Use"
Overall "Good, stable service faster than advertised, but not friendly to advanced equipment configurations"

I have the 6.0 "Ultra" DSL standalone (no home phone service) bundled with my wireless, since that allows me a corporate discount.

Everything has gone pretty well, all things considered. However, I run a Cisco 2621 router with WIC-1ADSL card installed, and the idiots on the support line would NOT provide me with my username-password combination unless I used their 2 wire modem / router. So, I hooked up their equipment and got my service started. Within 2 weeks, I had given up. Constant loss of connection, although when connected, speeds were fine. However, once I switched over to my Cisco equipment, everything is as solid as a rock, and speeds are exactly the same.... download runs 6.6 give or take a couple hundred kbps... very stable, no disconnects, good latency low jitter, all in all good service. Of course, I can hit a pitching wedge from my back yard to the CO, it's a block away and nothing between here and there; I'm sure that's why its both fast and stable, to some extent, anyway.

I returned the 2wire piece of garbage, and they cheerfully credited my account (did it within 30 days so it was no problem at all.) Getting the DSL added to my existing wireless account with corporate discounts (saves 5 bucks a month on the DSL) was a hassle, and I still haven't gotten my first combined bill 60 days later -- should be there for me tomorrow, according to the website and the billing department folks on the phone.

This is MUCH preferable to the cable competition in my book. They were nothing less than usurious in my opinion, Cable and Internet were running 300 a month and all the advertised discounts were for only new customers, I was just hosed with the Cable option, so back to DSL I went, despite a slightly slower speed. Now, Uverse would be great, but I'm not holding my breathl

UPDATE:

Latency and jitter have become a problem, and my upload speeds are consistently half of what I'm paying for. Uverse apparently is ages away in this little 'hood. I've ordered Cox again. I will keep DSL and have it turned back to minimum speed just to keep my options open. There just are no good choices. Sort of like voting. Hold your nose and pull the lever.