AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Solid POTS connection, Complete Choice Basic is a good value!"
Bad "Line noise after rain"
Overall "Solid, reliable connection, decent price."

·Insight Communic..
1/14/13: ordered new telephone service from AT&T (old Bellsouth) on 1/6/13 to port from local cable telephone company. Due to poor cell phone reception, I need to keep a POTS line. Becuase of a promotional offer, I pay 22.59 after taxes for the complete choice basic package. It includes unlimited local calling, caller ID and call waiting ID. No long distance, no other features. Installer arrived around 3:00PM and had to re-configure my NID outside since Insight cut the Bell telephone line a few years ago when installing their service. Dialtone was present in about 30 minutes and the installer closed out the number port. My telephone number was active within an additional 30 minutes.

I did not order any internet services as my only option was Uverse and had prior issues with their customer service in the past. The customer service with AT&T Phone/DSL has been amazing. DSL is not available anymore where I live, and even if it was, I cannot drop to a lower speed having had 15megs through my cable company for so long.

Overall, I have been pleased with this phone service and the customer service received. More updates to follow...

4/3/13: solid connection, no problems to speak of. A porting issue occurred for about two weeks after my telephone number was ported. Anyone using my previous provider (Insight Phone) was having issues calling my telephone number. It was giving a number disconnected intercept message. After investigation, there was something wrong at the switch so it has since been taken care of. Still have the basic phone, no long distance, but do have caller ID and call waiting ID. After taxes, it is about 24.00 a month. Definitely cheaper than my previous telephone service with the cable company.

7/15/13: basic landline, solid, reliable connection. No issues to speak of with AT&T Landline with the exception of line noise after it rains. Reported the issue once before, was fixed within a few days. After heavy rains this past week, problem has came back. AT&T repair seems to do a good job and will call within a few hours of the reported trouble. Happy with the customer service, and this company seems to be different than the Uverse Services. Bill is the same every month, no problems or concerns at this time. Still on a promotional rate of 25.00 after taxes for unlimited local calling with caller ID and call waiting ID. Will reevaluate at the end of the year. AT&T has seemed to stop offering landline telephone in my area since Uverse is available. Scary thought as this is a reliable, solid connection.

Comments:

cheapatfirst

@reliablehosting.com

just wait until that promo is over

after you promo your $24 bill will jump to around $40.

Review by dtyree See Profile

• Location: Valdosta,Lowndes,GA
Good "solid proformance"
Bad "none really"
Overall "works for me"

Been with them since January of 2001. It was rough the first few months getting everything up and running. I had to call several times to get some issues worked out. I kept losing sync. I almost told them to shove it a few times. They finally got their act together and things have been fine ever since.
Started out out with one of those sting ray looking Alcatel USB modems. Didn't really like that thing. Went to an internal modem that I got from Bellsouth and things were better. I ran internet connection sharing for a while and that was a pain. I bought a Alcatel STH from Ebay and went with a Linksys DSL router. Things couldn't be better.
Moved across town several months ago and that went pretty smooth. They put the DSL signal on the wrong incoming line but that was quickly handled.
I then signed up for Extreme and that doubled my speed. Very nice.

The service has been down only rarely. And if it's down, it will be back up in a few hours.

Updated 05-11-06

Still works for me. Rarely ever down. Newsgroups get flakey every once in a while. And I wish retention was longer. But that's really the only negative that I have.

I haven't had to deal with tech support in a year or more. I've heard a lot of horror stories with all the tech support being moved off shore. I work in the IT industry and I have tried dealing with other off shore tech support. I would rather get my toes hammered by a very large hammer then deal with some of the people I have tried to talk to.
I really hope never have any really serious issues that will require me to call support. If I end up talking with someone that I can't understand I'll seriously consider dropping DSL and going with cable.
The email and newsgroups are working just fine for me. I would like the retention to be a little longer. If I go on vacation for a few days I end up missing something. Not much of an issue really.
All and all, things are running smoothly.

Still running smoothly!!

08-10-2007

Came back from vacation and found a dead phone line and no sync. 2-3 days later, they put me on another wire pair and I had a dial tone and I found my DSL actually was slightly faster.
It was running slightly under 6 meg and now it hits 6.2 meg most of the time. Can't beat that.

02-05-2008

Still happy, the newsgroups are still screwy sometimes. I signed up with another Usenet provider to cover for the bad days with ATT newsgroups.

10-23-2008

Still mostly happy. They dumped all the binary newsgroups so that hurt some.
Still getting great speeds. every once in a while the speeds will drop down but a few hours later they are back to full speed.

05-01-2009

Still happy. Binaries are still gone but i get my stuff from Astraweb now. I run DUMeter and i do speed checks every once in a while and i'm still getting 6.0.

01-05-2010

Still happy. Kinda worried about them going to metered access. I heard that they are testing that in other markets. Still getting full 6.0 almost all the time. sometimes it might sputter for a few hours but it always returns back to full speed.
Also, I updated the monthly cost since i'm paying slightly less than $100 a month for both 6.0 and phone.

3-25-2011

Let's see, now they will be capping and charging for overages soon. And they can't do any better than 6.0.

My days with AT&T are almost over.......

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
dtyree

join:2000-10-07

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL

·America Online
It was OK for its time.

member for 11.9 years, 4840 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sempergoofy See Profile

• Location: Smyrna,Cobb,GA
Good "Uverse TV, 18Mb Internet, and VOIP. Fast and reliable thus far"
Bad "Order system for VOIP transfer of two POTS lines is a disaster"
Overall "Combination of bundled services seems to be a winner."

I migrated from Bellsouth Xtreme 6.0 DSL service to 18Mb Uverse as soon as it was available in my neighborhood. With the exception that the legacy Bellsouth systems could not correctly allow an order to move my home's TWO pots phone numbers to succeed, it has been almost flawless. It took 3 tries until they finally got their act together to be able to move two lines to Uverse in my home.

The internet service aspect has been reliable thus far. TV service, too. Voice was just finished migrating to Uverse today. So far, so good. Really like the VOIP features.

The $55 I indicated above is for just the 18Mb internet portion of my total bill. The TV and voice add (much) more.

Ping times are a bit high, but I don't game so that does not bother me so much.

»www.speedtest.net/result/855139582.png

Update January 3, 2011 - Service has been reliable. I did have to have the residential gateway (RG) swapped out when one of the two RJ-11 ports for my two phone numbers began producing background white noise. Before scheduling a truck roll, the tier 1 rep that I got decided to take it upon himself during his diagnosis to login to my RG and reset it remotely to factory defaults. Really was a pain in my @ss because not only did he not discuss his plan prior to doing the reset, but I lost all of my local customization including long wireless keys, list of allowed MAC addresses, and LAN subnet customization (I do not use 192.168.1.x). It actually took two separate swaps of the RG before that problem was fixed. They carry only refurbished units on their trucks apparently for service calls, and the first refurb was marginal at best. The tech actually called me about it shortly after she left since she was monitoring it from her laptop to assure success. (Kudos to her for doing that.) She returned and we did the replacement again.

I also noticed that after the switch from POTS to VOIP, I began receiving more unsolicited junk calls despite my phone numbers having been on the national no-call list for many years. I resorted to using the new call-block feature of Uverse-voice against the repeat offenders. Of course, that does little good for first time offenders. Not sure why the change to Uverse-voice would be related to such a phenomenon, but I definitely correlate it to the beginning of my use of Uverse-voice.

Update October 4, 2011 - No new information to add. Service has been reliable. Here is a new speedtest result: »www.speedtest.net/result/1517055268.png

Update Feb. 18, 2013 - Service remains reliable for me.

Comments:

Review by CplEstesUSMC See Profile

• Location: Winston,Douglas,GA
Good "I ordered 6 meg DSL and I get it 6.5 down 435 K up consistantly."
Bad "Desperatly need more upload BW"
Overall "You get exactly what you pay for here."

I’ve had this service for about a year now. I’ve switched from Comcast and I will never switch back. Comcast didn’t provide bad service, it’s just whenever I needed something, or needed something to change it was like pulling teeth and another $40-$50 service call. Comcast also went down very consistently at 2-3 am. Sounds like a maintenance window but that’s a lot of downtime.

Also worth mentioning, the latency on this connection is MUCH better than on the cable and I’m still trying to figure out why. Cable modems clock in around 30-38 Megs down and almost that speed going up so the only place I can think of for the latency is congestion and maybe even collisions. Oh yeah, and I was ¼ mile down and across the street from the head-end so that was about as good as you can get it.

-UPDATE- March 10 2011

I've conditioned my NID and went from cat5e to CAT6 on my home run, installed a nid filter and now I have a VERY clean line. 0 line code violates of the course of 4 days. Since ATT took over from bellsouth I've been throttled from 6.5 megs to 5.7, I'm sure this is ATT having a different definition of 6 megs than bellsouth. Bellsouth accounted for ATM/PPPoE overhead, and AT&T did not. But then again this is the most reliable internet connection I've ever had. I get 5.7 megs morning, afternoon/and night, and trust me I've looked for dips. Netflix streams HD without 1 single problem. Upload is just as consistent but since I have a fast machine and good router, I completely saturate the upload when uploading HD video to youtube. I truly need more upload BW.

- June 2011

"Upgraded" to U-Verse

member for 9.4 years, 883 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DeltaElite See Profile

• Location: Covington,Newton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast and ussually reliable"
Bad "See review"
Overall "Kiss that freakin dial up GOODBYE!!!!"

Ordered in November 2001,,,up in running a month later due to excessive operator headspace and some ancient station wire....

Connections run 200/1100 consistantly...Using a STHE on a ME 1.4 gig pentium 4. I have few problems connecting,drawing email or downloading.

Tech support is great if your patient and get the right person....If your get unlucky and get a dead fish for a tech,hang up and try again as I've never waited more then a couple of minutes for an answer and never called more then twice in one day.

It's cheaper then a second line and I really apreciated being able to download IE 6 in less the 3 minutes....3 attempts on dialup timed out after 2 hours.

Now, I gotta go to Walmart and get some shotgun shells, its time to do some justice to the V90 modem at LAST!!!

9-26-02 Still trouble free, still get consistant speeds... I am now spoiled and will never be able to go back to dial up again.

5-10-03 Still smokin....Other then 2 self installed problems on the house wiring (And self un-installed after much cussing and fussing ) its still trouble free.

12-11-03 Speed touch Home died. 4 days later truck arrives and tech hands me a new westel. 80 bucks for the dispatch and I'm going again. Speeds are now 220/1235 consistantly . Bye Bye Alcatel!!!

03-04-04 Still consistantly 212/1230...No problems that were not self installed.
Looking forward to 384/3000 service if it ever arrives.

Westel 2200 with a WinME 1.4 gig P4. 520meg RDRAM

7-8-04 Still rock solid....Upgrade to extreme smooth and burp free...I am a happy camper.

12-02-05 Still rock solid.

8-12-07 Float between 3mb and 6 mb service....depends on the budget....Billing is 100% on and the service is still rock solid....Upgrade to Netropia 3347 to put sons laptop in on wireless....never a hiccup.

If they ever tell me I cant have it anymore the shotgun and the computer meet in the backyard.

3-27-09 Death, taxes and 380 up,3000 down....Since 2000 I've had 3 modems, and 2 infected computers.

I'd keep the service and pay the bill even if I wasn't an employee.

Disclaimer....I am a AT+T employee....But still, I have had no troubles that were not user caused in the entire time I've had the service.

10-sometime-2010 No changes.....320 up 3.0 down....Still on 3347.

7/5/2011 in respoce to system message I'll update.

Nothing has changed. As long as the bill is paid the speed is the same and the service consistant.

10/14/2011.....The plot thickens....

Last friday I came home to no sync. Called Support saturday and could not get past the robot because of a large network outage in my area....Sunday....monday am same...Tuesday I call a buddie to find out what the outage was and the dslams I am served by are out because they have no power....ETR wensday PM.
Since repair my 6.0 speeds are more like dialup. Support says "sorry,we dont warranty speeds.

If it didnt mean going to Charter I'd be a gone Pecan.

8/31/12 still here still chuggin along....Wish the'd bring uverse out another 1/2 mile.

Comments:
bigozone

join:2003-04-11
Gray, KY

credit for days of service missed

if you feel it's work the hold time,

call ATT and complain, tell them you were w/o access to the net due to being unable to connect for the full day/days including any partial days... and at least get a credit applied to your bill to insure you only pay for what you had access. they can't force you to pay for times you were unable to connect especially when it was due to their problems!!!

i do it every month that they have an outage that i know about in my area.

bigO

P.S. while they don't warranty speeds they do have an obligation to provide you with service 24-7/365.. so at least make them credit you the $ for days of service missed.

Review by jimmyc65 See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "excellent speeds both up down"
Bad "tech support reads from a script.....not much help; tech has gotten much better"
Overall "excellent service for the price"

I had to pre-qualify for the service back in march, I received an email saying I would have service on May 18th. After several calls to their service center I was finally given a final install date of May 28th. But as with most things they had to back order my modem for 2 weeks. They shipped my modem(an Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem) while we were on vacation in Florida. Thank Goodness UPS held it for me.

When trying to install the software for the modem it became apparent that something was wrong with the install disk. After much cussing and fussing we finally got it to work with the help of someone who had already install theirs and knew about the problems we were having. Installation after that took about 20 minutes after downloading some updated drivers.

The only problems we have had has been with a line problem up the street where some squirrels have chewed into the line, we lose sync everytime it rains and water get in the lines. But after several calls to Bellsouth DSL and the Regular Bellsouth the problem has been solved.

So if you live where you can get service get it, it is well worth the money. We average between 1185/241 and 1204/256 at all times.

Tech Support needs to be trained a LOT better and not just read from a script and give the run around.

UPDATE.....

We have had DSL service now for 6 weeks and after a few problems with the tree rats we have not had a single outage until 2 weeks ago when lightening struck the CO and knocked out our card.The service was down for 2 days (sat/sun) but back up and running by 7:15 am on Monday. So far so good!!!!!! Everything has been working as promised and of course tech support still doesn't have a clue. Some may know a little more than others but not much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So once again I will say if you live in the Brookhaven area and are looking for a high speed connection check out Bellsouth DSL. Oh yeah by the way the local cable co. is offering 560/128 for about $10.00 more a month.

UPDATE 02/06/02

Well it has been 8 months since we had Bellsouth DSL installed and so far GREAT the UL/DL speeds have been constant and steady around 1.2-1.3/220. For this area these are great speeds considering that the local cable co. is offering about half that for about $10.00 more a month. I would recommend this service to anyone. Even Tech Support has improved since my last review in July. I must really commend Bellsouth for their commitment to improving TS. Hopefully Bellsouth will continue to offer this great service and not go the way of some providers who start out great and then end up sucking. Read some of the reviews posted here and then be grateful of the service we have with BS.

UPDATE 8/26/02

Well after over a year of service I still say BellSouth DSL is still excellent for the money. I have had no outages other than those that are scheduled ie,, email server work. Absolutely no drops in service for over 6 months even in bad weather. Tech support seems to have gotten better since June of last year. I now use the connection manager( the new version) and love it. CM is a great tool for letting you know about outages such as email and new groups. Also I like the ability to be able to talk to Tech Support without having to call them.

Now if they would only drop the extra $10.00 for their networking package. I would like to network a laptop but will have to buy a new modem, so that is out of the question for now. But overall excellent service!! Kepp it Up!

Update 05/04/03

Well after almost 2 years of FastAccess I will say that they ROCK...... In the last year I have not had any down time other than sch. server maint. Speeds have held steady and never decreased even when I set up my home network. If anyone has a chance to get the service jump on it....

Update 09/19/03

Still Very Impressed with the service!! They seem to be getting better with Tech-Support also. And we had a "Decrease" in our monthly charge for DSL. Since we are complete choice customers our monthly charge dropped to around $40.00 a month.

UPDATE 01/17/04

I recently had a problem with my Westell Wirespeed modem loosing sync. called BS and told them about the problem and was basiclly told it was a problem with my computer and not the modem. BS had recently done a firmware upgrade to the moden via remote access. I didn't have a single problem with loosing sync till that point and told the tech that, but again the answer was it was my computer and not the modem. Hummmm seeing as I was going nowhere with the tech told him thank you and hung up. Called right back and got another tech who actually ran a line test and said the footprint looked ok... ok the connection was fine at that point. Again I was told that it was my computer and not the modem,again told the tech guy about not having any problems before the fireware upgrade was told this time that the upgrade would not have anything to do with the modem disconnecting???? WTF???? Ok hang up with this guy...

Think about it for a few minutes and call back and ask to speak to a supervisor and I will not talk to anybody else but a supervisor. I finally get one on the line and explain my problem.. and tell him before he has a chance to say anything else that BSFA is no longer my only option for broadband we now have cable highspeed here. But before I switch I will be calling every hour on the hour for the next month about my modem and if I think about it between the hours I will call every 30 minutes and complain about the problem.... he ask me to open the modem interface and enable remote access.. I do so and he tells me that he is going to reflash the modem with another firmware upgrade. So he reflashes and the modem resets itself and I haven't had another problem. So it was the modem after all..... gee whiz guys come on... So after this adventure with tech support I feel that I needed to update my review and unfortunatley drop my rating for theirt tech support..... Sorry guys MAYBE you will do better if I should have to call ya again.......

UPDATE 04/17/04

Upgraded to DSL Extreme this week and the upgrade took all of 2 days. I am extremely satisfied with the upgrade. Came with static IP and cost me all of $5.00 for the upgrade... If ya can get the service GET IT!!! As far as I am concerned there is no better ISP out there.. Also had to upgrade Tech Support score now, I have has some dealings with them lately and they really came through..

UPDATE 10/31/04

Well Six months into the new Extreme package and not one complaint. I've had no downtime or outages in the 6 months since the upgrade. I'm using the 2wire home networking modem/router.. No problems with it at all and love the way it can be configured to allow/disallow computers on my network to access the net..

UPDATE 3/28/05

OK guys and gals I just thought I would update on BSFA after what happened last Firday and Saturday. On Friday the 25th after getting home from my parents house I noticed something strange on my desk, It was the Broadband Link light flashing on my 2Wire modem/gateway. Hummmm that can't be good, but after almost a year with the 2Wire and no service drops I figured it maybe time. I left it alone for a while thinking it would re-sync but no such luck,GRRRRR... I went through the usual stuff to reboot and check all connections and such but still no sync...

Oh well I thought go ahead and bite the bullet and call tech support, oh yeah I forgot that I ran the help center program that comes with the service and it gernerated a trouble code to give to tech support when I called them. Called tech support told them what the problem was and gave them the trouble code and the tech gal said it was "excessive line noise" but she wanted to run a test from her end and she would call me back in 7 to 10 minutes. OK I said go for it... Well she did call back in just a few minutes and said there was a lot of noise on my line and that she had put a trouble ticket in and someone would be here on the 26th between 1 and 3 pm.

BellSouth guy showed at 1:05 and checked the box on the house and said there was a lot of nosie and he would have to check some things out and be right back. He checked the box on the main line where my service ties in at and found one of the cable's to be almost corroded in half and said that was the problem. He replaced about 10ft of cable and made sure I synced back up and the noise was gone from the line before he left.

My current leve for tech support is at 4 and not 5 I'll leave it that way till my next update and if at that time they are still doing their jobs I may increase my rating then. I would recommend this service to anyone who can get it,,, Rock solid for the last couple of years....

UPDATE 03/25/06

Hummmm....... I didn't realize it had been so long since I had update my review of my BSFA. Serivice has still rock solid except of course when Katrina ripped through here last year. We were without lights and phones for a week. The service was a little spotty for a few weeks following Katrina but that is to be expected considering all the damage that was done to phone and electrical lines during the storm. We had lights and phone and DSL service on Sunday following the storm, not bad considering all those that didn't. After the initial service was restored and the occaisional drops were straightened out the service has been rock soild. I've only had one occasion to have to call tech support since the storm and it went rather smooth. Price has actually dropped on the 3 meg serivce which is always good.

Overall I still love the service and would recommend it to anyone in the BellSouth serivce area. My only concern is that if the BellSouth/AT&T merger/buyout goes through is that AT&T not come in and screw things up.....

12/03/2006

OK got the nag to update my review and thought I'd go ahead and do it so I don't see the nag again....LOL.....

Actually not much to say this time, service has been ROCK SOLID since my last review, not one outage or service drop. Speeds remain solid and did I mention that there were no outages!!

06/04/07

OK got a reminder this morning to update my review of my BellSouth or rather AT&T dsl account. Speeds have remained constant and rock solid. The only complaint I have is that I have been switched over to interleaved from fast path. I had to drop the customer support rating one because I still hate talking to someone in India who says their there name is Bob or Frank.... Come on guys get real.

01/05/08

Well finally ditched the bellsouth/att service. Went with CableOne for internet and phone service. I finally got tired of bellsouth's prices and other things. I am more than pleased with CableOne and would recommend them to anyone who can get it.

Comments:

Review by ncbill See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Cheap, cheap, cheap"
Bad "Only 768"
Overall "Get it if you can, if only for backup"

I had 6 meg cable broadband that cost me $45/month and never used the bandwidth!

I ordered AT&T's 768 "DSL Lite w/ term agreement" the day it became available.
(term agreement is 12 months, with a $50 early termination fee)

The $75 DSL modem/router & install kit came 3 days later.

I used the DSL splitter in the self-install kit to separate voice and DSL lines outside at the customer interface, so I don't need to use DSL filters on the phones inside.

I get about 650 down and 100 up.

I plan on keeping this as long as it remains $10/month, which is at least through 12/31/2009.

UPDATE:

Price raised to $20 in early 2010 - still only 768KB.

Will probably dump this for cable ($30/month for 6 months) or Clear WiMax ($40/month).

UPDATE:

Still using as of summer 2011.

1.5 down for $15/month.

Rock solid reliable, but slow (looks like no one locally can get more than 1.5 down, probably because of U-Verse coming)

UPDATE:

Still using as of spring 2012.

They still offer it for $15/month (up to 3MBps down)

My line still only provisions for 1.5, but I'll keep it forever as long as I can get this price (it now looks like U-Verse will NEVER come to this area)

member for 7.5 years, 1302 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oldduke See Profile

• Location: Milton,Santa Rosa,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast access is the only thing operating after a hurricane; good Internet access for a fair price"
Bad "Sales and help desk persons beyond frustration"
Overall "For the price this is a great deal."

2 Feb 12 - ATT wifi would not work right with my new Hp all-in-one computer. It dropped connection constantly and speed would drop to dial-up. Messed wtih ATT for 6 months. They said everthing was fine on their end. Finally gave up and ran an ethernet line across my floor and covered it with duct tape. Computer now runs >5K and never drops. Maybe the main computer has to be on the ethernet cable, I don't know. But the speed and solid connection beats hell out of Mediacon, our only other option and which I just canceled because their TV lineup sucked. DSL easily runs all the Netflix I want.

16 Oct 09 - nothing has changed from last post except my zip code.

25 Nov 08. Noticed some complaints about ATT SE on the forum. Not me. I get 5M+ and often 6M any time and have never seen it down. Help desk seems improved but depends a lot on the individual you get. ATT SE is still good value.

07Aug08. Bellsouth is now ATT Southeast. Not much difference. Some annoyances on install but good value and NEVER DOWN (are you listening Mediacom!). Compared to Mediacom, ATT SE is spectacular, so everything in perspective. I have the 6000 down package, and generally get in the high 5000's on my hardwired computer; upstream is 400. My 3 computers on a home wireless network are a little slower, about 3m down, but this is compared to the 300 down these units used to have with Sprint. Aside: Looks like a VRAD box across the street. Pleeeeeeeeze let it happen! Can't wait to dump Mediacom for U-verse.

25Feb07. Sales and tech support SUCK. But, Fastaccess is great! Had to change phone numbers and get new Fastaccess. Ordered 2 Jan 3k/386 home network. Followed up midmonth, New Delhi guy said I was scheduled for mid-June, even though I had a confirmation receipt for 9 Feb. On 12 Feb I did an install and tried to connect; no connect. Called New Delhi; no help; they would send out a tech for $80.. A Bellsouth tech came out 14 Feb and found the first instal to the house a couple of years ago connected Fastaccess to a single jack in a now unused room. Tech did something outside and Fastaccess was up and running nicely. No charge. EXCEPT - I had ordered home newwork, and the other computers would not sync. Called New Delhi again. After about 30 minutes of please-repeat-that-because-I-can't-understand-you, the fellow said my modem didn't support home network. I would have to order home network. Ok, "transfer me to billing, please." Answer, "Yes, I will do that, sir. (pause) Sir, billing is closed. You will have to call back during the week." GRRRRRRRRR.

So, after you get Fastaccess, it's great. Everything up to that sucks bigtime.

****************************************

26Dec06 - Still on 3000/384 hard wire home network. Still works as advertised. Still best deal around.

****************

Three weeks abo put in home networking and upgraded to 3000/384. The first 2wire modem was faulty. BS was remarkably ineffective in figuring that out. On the other hand, one tech was very good at getting 2wire to work on a Windows98 system. So, t's mixed. Also, two computers get all of my family email accounts, but MY account does not come up on MY computer. Maybe it's a Windows98 thing; the other two are XP. Once the bugs are worked out, I still think BS Fastaccess is a good deal.

*********************

I've been on Bellsouth DSL for about two years now and it's still great and still a bargain. I get 1.1M downstream consistently and it's always on. You must, however, 1) avoid the help desk in South Carolina and 2) apply every tweak dslreports suggests.

*********************

The help desk sites in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia have been very knowledgeable, and unbelievably patient. At the site in South Carolina, only one out of three has impressed me as knowledgeable; the rest were very polite. If you get a good rep that knows more than a flowchart, you get great service. If not, you're on the phone for a long time.///My Presario 1245/MSW98 notebook kept losing the modem driver. A help desk stepped me through turning off the virus scan, screen saver, etc. This also stopped a problem with losing sync.///The connection was only giving 550/256 at first against advertised "up to 1500/256", but some tweaks from dslreports got that up to 1100/256 rather painlessly. FastAccess really has to be "tuned."///The initial modem, a green thing with two eyes, failed pretty quick. Bellsouth techs came out right away, spent about four hours, and installed a line filter on the house and a different modem, SpeedStream 4060. (Both used the USB.)///SpeedStream worked for three or four months but failed a couple of days ago. Was told it would take 10 to 14 days to get a new one -- wrong! My wife finally muscled her way to a supervisor. Modem is now on overnight delivery. Gotta shove your way past the first tier of help desks and get to the supervisors.///Email addresses are limited to eight characters -- WTF! But, it is very fast and easy to use.///Since I have access to fast Internet at work and our local library, I wasn't interested if 56k. I signed up for ISPChannel though through MediaCom when it came out. There is no numeric value low enough to post how bad that experience was. Words like incompetent, totally wrong, screwed up, dumb as stumpwater, clueless -- just don't come close. I never did get ISPChannel and it was hell anyway. Long after I didn't get it they called and asked my how I liked it! Then Bellsouth put FastAccess in my neighborhood and, despite some difficulties, I'm very satisfied. What they're providing for $49/month is a bargain on my end.

Comments:

Review by boogieman77 See Profile

• Location: Ducktown,Polk,TN
Good "Low Cost."
Overall "Excellent"

Well after a long time of this asking for my review here goes. Ordered and live the next day. I got my modem and filters off ebay so I didnt get locked into a contract. I am on a extremely long loop so I do not get my full speed but that is understandable since I am nearly 4 miles from the dslam. Techs are great and very helpful. I know all my local techs and when dsl was first set up for me by one of them I knew not to expect the full speed. As it stands I get around 900/228k I can live with this as long as I can game online and download a song or two every once in a while. I have had only one downtime in the last 3 years, and it was due to the fiber feeding our area being cut. I would highly recommend Fastaccess to anyone over cable. Fast and reliable. I now have the westell 6100 modem bridged to a linksys wrt54gx router. The 6100 helped my download speeds by over 200k as before I had the westell 2100.

8-18-2009 Still going strong.

2-2-2012