AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by FunnyBoneSo See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "When it works it works great"
Bad "Upstream rarely approaches rated"
Overall "Cable speeds and prices are rapidly outpacing ADSL"

The shared bandwidth aspect of cable used to make ADD'L more appealing. Yet upstream bandwidth loading (Netflix) now impacts everyone. This and pricing of ADSL makes cable appealing. 6Mb ADSL service has been in place for years at $45/mo.

U-Verse sales contractors came through the area 2 years ago and lied about getting data connection w/o tv. Cost me a TELEGRAM to IA to cancel full install. Then the neighborhood never went to U-Verse.

Replaced my issued Westel several times now with my own H/W since Bell/AT&T refused to upgrade me. A ten year old box now.

Update 18jan2012

I broke down after another commercial grade HW failure (dsl modem/router) and replaced all of my NW HW with Cisco boxes; an X2000 modem/router/AP and a dual band E2500 router/AP. The E2500 has a bridged ethernet mode I'm using downstream of the X2000. Wow - the user interface alone is worth the upgrade - consistent 5.4Mb/0.42Mb connection on nodes attached at all points (nine nodes). The HW runs much cooler to the touch. Update in 30 days or less.

Comments:

Review by bigozone See Profile

• Location: Gray,Knox,KY
Good "$49 for DSL-extreme 6.0 and local phone.... tried dsl-lite but it was too slow for me"
Bad "outages, and bellsouth's excellent tech support has been outsourced to some trained moneys"
Overall "where else can you find DSL 6.0 and local Phone for $49? but it sure helps if you install a home run"

I'm a 40y/o PC repair tech so the install was painless and didn't even use their installation software. I ran my own "home-run" direct DSL line years ago.. Since first doing this review I've had 2 of the 2Wire modems crap out. So since AT&T bought out BELL SOUTH, the customer service especially the call centers have went to hell, (still feel that way) and they lowered the speeds across the board trying to compensate for too many users for their current setup.... and they have no intention of upgrading anything until U-VERSE makes it to rural south east KY (10 yrs?) How each night until the data base switches your account to the new settings).

it's great if you don't need tech support..... if you do, try to get to a supervisor or level 2 tech ASAP... all the first level of operators can do is read from a script, and few of them have actual OS knowledge or know anything about setting up a phone so for even a supported product i'd try to get the case escalated that way to can talk to someone who knows what they are talking about (not just reading a script).

Re-upgraded after trying DSL-lite for a few months, but was very unsatisfied with speeds and the ping times in particular. after the DSL Extreme 6.0 became active now my computer seems slow vs the net even using chrome.... maybe time for a reload of the OS. That aside, now i have 40ms ping times up and down the east coast and the mid-west. even though the upload speed is averaging around 420Kbs when advertised as UPTO 512Kbs,,,, but on the WONDERFUL SIDE i'm now on page 1 of AT&T SOUTH.

CORRECTION OF LAST SENTENCE!! now NO WHERE NEAR PAGE 1!!!

when considering bang for the buck, i feel i have the best deal in town.

i don't care what anyone says since it's the only real 1 line DSL option in my area.

i'm on the first page of speed results on a $350 walmart laptop that is over 4 years old but has has many upgrades including a C2D T5750 2gig CPU, 3 Gigs of ram, DL DVD BURNER, atheros 5007G class factory card (the 5008 died but it was fun while it lasted)... now my acer aspire 5315 is decked out with all that and an internal webcam and bluetooth also!! and now finally the internet service can keep up w/ my 3.5 year old technology. too bad the 5008 died now that i can afford a class N Wifi router...

NOW TO SAVE SOME $$ for a good N class ATT compatible DSL modem/router combo.

member for 11.3 years, 117 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by thatissick See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Stable, Low latency"
Bad "Upload speed. CAPS AS OF 05/2011"
Overall "Good service for cheap...if you go into 12-month commitment."

·Verizon Broadban..
I thought about cable, but anything higher than 1.5mbps was about 40 dollars and higher, and ATT 6.0 DSL was 20 dollars so I chose that. It took 10 days though to get my line wired for DSL, pretty long wait. But once activated and registered, everything went smooth. I have no issues whatever, and no slowdowns during peak periods.

EDIT: I left, so I don't have this anymore. But now they require a 12-month commitment (contract) to get that 20 dollar price. Plus the intro of caps ain't such a good thing.

Comments:

Review by michieru See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Cost for the speed of service, and no leasing of hardware like Comcast"
Bad "Ever since we got the 2Wire modem service has been garbage"
Overall "Cheap broadband and speed, use your own hardware to make reliable"

·Comcast Business..
The 2Wire home networking modem keeps going in an out, before hand we had a Zyxel ADSL2+ modem installed which never failed us. I plan to revert back to that and change my POS linksys router to a D-Link DIR-628.

The good thing is that services are cheap compared to really any other carrier including cable in my area.

Comments:

Review by sven_kirk3 See Profile

• Location: Lithia Springs,Douglas,GA
Good "Great price (for new customers)"
Bad "Navigating their website for info is almost impossible sometimes"
Overall "Happy so far (1 day in[10-15-10])"

Found the article (»AT&T Apologizes For Dry Loop DSL Ordering Hassles) to get a great price.
I ordered the 6 Meg for $20 on 10-8-10, went live on 10-15-10.
Got an email shortly after sign-up. It said I did not have to be there.
By chance, I got off of work in time to catch the the tech at my house because he needed to do some inside work also because I had no NID.
Tech basically had to do a full install from the pole and install a NID.
No provided equipment, I had a spare Motorola 2210 from previous service.

09-21-11
Almost a year later. No outages or anything.

member for 12.1 years, 2235 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Buttset See Profile

• Location: Ladson,Berkeley,SC
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Not available everywhere"
Overall "Good product!"

I feel I must state that I am an ADSL Installer (if there is such a thing) for BellSouth. I have worked for BellSouth for 29 years and have been a "home computer" user/programmer/game player etc. since 1984 (my first "PC" was an Atari 400, 16K RAM, Tape drive...nice toy!)

I have been installing ADSL in Charleston, SC, since its been available, here, about 3 years ago. The first install was for a college student on a Mac using OS 8.5 . Back "then", all installs where "bridged" and an installer was required. With the advent of PPP self-installs, ADSL has expanded very quickly, and I've seen a lot of problems and happily, solutions! Enough about me... but as a "reviewer", I felt I had to be up front.

My connection is right where it should be! Now I can "view" the Web as it should be. Updates/downloads are VERY fast! I ran CNET's Catchup and updated ALL my software in a very short time. Can't slap the grin off my face!

April 11, 2006

To update my original review, I now have had FA ADSL CONTINUOSLY since my first review, and I and am now starting my 33rd year at BellSouth. I've increased my connection up to the 6.0Mb (8128/512) service. Loving every minute of it!

As a tech, I've still see some really dumb things happen to and by our customers. But as for the service itself, I think it's getting better all the time.

December 12, 2007

To respond about the "value", I am paying about $32 with fees. I wasn't trying to throw anyone off, it's just me not paying attention to what the heck I'm typing.

The service has been OUTSTANDING! Still going strong with very little or no problems. I'm not sure how the U-verse system will affect Broadband usage, but I'll be giving that a try when it's available here.

January 2, 2009

Unwavering service. Connection still rock solid. Working for the same telephone company, but now it's name is AT&T. Note: The company I started working for in 1973! Now 36 years and I still at it. U-Verse is still not here, and it probably won't be before retirement.

If you want an excellent connection you can rely on, the get ADSL.

September 19, 2011

Luckily for me, my ADSL service is rock solid. I live less than 5K feet from the DSLAM, and I know the plant, system and how it works. A major advantage.

AT&T has severely hurt themselves in most customer's eyes. The "help desk" is horrible and getting a tech dispatched is next to impossible. Most of the customer's I get to see are NOT happy with the service or the way they are treated. It's a shame. It doesn't have to be.

I plan on retiring on or before July 2012. Good luck to the employees and customers after the next Union contract. It's not going to be pretty.

member for 12.8 years, 867 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by GDATL See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Solid Consistency (2001-2007 and 2009-2010)"
Bad "Drops and Inconsistency (2008)"
Overall "Excellent Service from Tier 2 and Field Techs"

On 9/72011, I switched from AT&T DSL to AT&T Uverse, so this is my last update for AT&T DSL Southeast.

2011 Events and Summary
----------------------------------
In July and August, had a lot of drops (slow speeds and modem frequently dropping "sync.") An onsite technician replaced the modem, but the problem still occurred. He found a bad splitter, replaced it and the connection improved. I continued to see a few problems, but suspect that is because the nearest DSLAM was being replaced and relocated due to road construction.

2009-2010 Summary
------------------------
Absolutely no problems since those reported in 2008. Solid ever since, and good speed on my 6MB service. Would consider U-Verse for internet, phone and to replace Comcast Digital Cable TV if it were offered! However, I am at the end of the line, and it is not available.

2008 Summary
---------------------
A few problems left me less than 100% satisfied in 2008.

In the first half of 2008, I had 2 instances where service was disrupted for hours. Calls to AT&T's tech support line were frustrating until I reached Tier 2 support technicians. Once that happened, service was restored quickly in both cases.

In October, my download speeds became extremely slow (1K) despite upload speeds still good. For 5 straight days, my DSL service went up and down. I called tech support 3 times (very helpful support reps from Birmingham AL & Metairie LA), and had 3 technicians onsite (2 were AT&T contractors and 1 was an AT&T employee). I was never told what was done but it was a problem outside of my house because the problem was that I was constantly losing "sync"

One benefit of the October problem was that AT&T replaced my DSL modem with a 2Wire modem. (It was not installed until several days after service was restored, so the modem was not the problem!) Since the 2Wire includes wi-fi, I no longer need the additional D-Link wireless routers, simplifying my network configuration. The modem was installed on 10/17 and works fine.

2007 Summary and Upgrade to 6MB Service
--------------------------------------------------------------
Upgraded to 6MB service in January. I'm at the end of the line for the nearest DLSAM, so I know that I am not gonna get highest speeds. ATT provided a new Westell 6100 DSL modem/router and I added a Linksys 16 port switch. Upgrade went smoothly with no service interruption. Results have been good speed, solid connection. Kept my static IP address and added networking support.

Later in 2007, the name has changed, (Bellsouth to AT&T) but as long as I don't have to change my bellsouth.net email addresses, I'm OK with that. Continued good service. I did have a brief disruption a few weeks ago, but service was restored fairly quickly with a call to tech support.

2006 Summary
--------------------
No complaints, solid service continued, no need to call tech support, monthly price has been reduced. Still waiting for 6MB service to be available at my address..

2005 Summary
----------------------
Absolutely no complaints. Service has been rock solid (even in my neighborhood with overhead copper wires for distribution). I have had no reason to call for technical support, so can't evaluate tech support. Will upgrade to new 6MB service as soon as it is available.

2004 Summary, Events and Upgrade to 3MB Service
-----------------------------------------------------------
In April 2004, I upgraded to 3MB FastAccess service. After upgrade, speed test shows 2400/300. Still use Alcatel STH and Linksys BEFSR41.

In June 2004, a thunderstorm took out a tree in my front yard and along with it took out all my utilities (electrical, phone, cable TV). Despite a very busy day, Georgia Power had electricity restored within 20 hours. This was a major job - required me to hire an electrician to do a lot of work on the house itself, then get a new meter installed, new entrance line into house and new line from pole to house plus a county electrical inspection - was a miracle it all got done in 20 hours! My insurance company helped expedite the work.

BellSouth restored phone service and DSL within 30 hours (required new underground line from pole to house). Comcast Cable TV service required 6 days to even show up, although they did restore service with only one visit. Wonder if they would have been any faster if I had broadband cable??? Thanks GA Power and BellSouth - great service!

No need to call tech support other than for the upgrade and storm repair. Service was excellent.

2003 Events:
---------------------
In February, added D-Link wireless router and all worked fine.

In March, service was down for 3 hours (this was an area-wide outage). Contacted tech support and response was adequate.

In October, there were a few days where where connection speed slowed consistently, but it was restored. Never able to identify a cause for certain.

2003 February, After 1 year of service:
-----------------------------------------------
In 1st year of service, solid connection and consistent speed (1200+ up/ 200+ down).

2002 Initial DSL Installation Review:
--------------------------------------------------------
Ordered BellSouth FastAccess DSL 1.5MBPS service on 1/24. Line provisioned on 1/28 and self-install kit with Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem received 1/30. I installed on 2/7, connecting through a Linksys Router. There was a line problem, but a phone call to Bellsouth revealed that there was a CO line problem that was fixed in 15 minutes, while the technician stayed on the line.

Initial installation summary: ) Prompt order fulfillment; 2) Helpful technical support; and 3) Easy installation; 4) Fast line speed; 5) Quick problem resolution.

Note: Thanks mykel8, for your helpful writeup on networking BellSouth FastAccess with the Linksys router...and for your reply to my questions!

Comments:

Review by crk2h See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Can't beat 6Mbps for $19.95 a month"
Bad "upload speed only 512"
Overall "So far service has been rock solid and consistant"

·LightTUBe
·Charter
I gladly got rid of my comcast internet which was running me around $70 a month just for internet!! I never knew what my actual speeds were supposed to be as they constantly changed theirs plans and pricing as they please. So far I am always testing at a speed above the 6Mbps that I am subscribed to (typically 6.40 Mbps) Ordered the self install kit online for the DSL Direct 6Mbps tier. Was up and running with in 8 days and never had to have a tech come out.

Update 11/09/2010 I am not sure how but my bill is actually $19.95 a month with out any additional taxes or att fees?? Sure beats the heck out of what I was paying comcast and my connection has been rock solid and I am actually getting the speeds advertised.

Update 4/18/2011 Not sure what ATT has done but my connection is useless in the evening times. I do not even get speeds near 1 Mbps and I can not watch any streaming videos with out them having to rebuffer every 15 to 20 seconds... Sad that after 7 months of a rock solid connection I am now stuck with this... Looks like I may be going back to comcast after all...

Update 4/21/2011 Made the switch back to comcast love the speed! Get 20 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up consistently.

member for 11.4 years, 731 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nolimit06 See Profile

• Location: Goldsboro,Wayne,NC
Good "$14.95 a month"
Bad "Constant sync issues, horrible technicians"
Overall "In this area you are better off without internet..."

I was with TWC before AT&T and have the exact same issue. I have Intermmitent Sync, I have had 3 techs out so far and they all say the line is good then leave. I have had the modem replaced same issue as well. I just don't know what else to do anymore other than keep calling the customer advocacy line to get something done. Good luck!

UPDATE: I finally got rid of AT&T because of my issues and the new caps in place, I have got with TWC getting 30/5meg for the same price and no caps. Have not had a single issue yet.

Comments:

Review by COMMAN See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Normally excellent speed, line check technician recommended this site!"
Bad "PAY THE INSTALL FEE - Get The ALCATEL Ethernet Modem!!!!!"
Overall "If you need speed, and have a LOT of patience when support is needed, this is one AWESOME deal!"

***A Blast from the Past - this review is from 2000 - I left it for grins for all of us old-timers. Ah, the memories...***

Just over 1 month now - time for an update. Bellsouth has some of the most hillarious copy-writers in their tech-support dept; they should work for Leno! My favorite line?..."Bellsouth ADSL does not support streaming media." Well, in a sense that was true, but not exactly the answer I was looking for. Turns out, the new Media Player 7 from Microsoft solved those problems almost completely. With MY personal needs being 1. listening to streaming radio, and 2. file transfer over the internet, at this point I've never been down for more than 1 hour and since doing the RCV Window tweak my speeds have consistently been around 1200 down/225 up. I would have to give them a big thumbs up at this point; just don't tell anyone, they'll raise the cost!

Post 30-day Summary: I can talk on the phone and surf at the same time, at blazing speed, for $40 a month?!

NEW!! Went 2 weeks without DSL (did anyone warn me how addictive speed is? NO!) due to a dead Speedstream 4060 - less than 2 months old. (I have to add the "free" dial-up offered by BS did prove very handy at this point.) Well, I wanted the ethernet model anyway, so after much argument (Alcatel=$150; PERIOD!) I agreed to the professional installation charge, and then was told to wait three weeks for the installer! After getting postal (well,almost) with a surpervisor, I got bumped up 1 week - gee, thanks - but...BEST DARN $150 I EVER SPENT!!! Maybe it's me, maybe my computer, (PIII/450, 64meg, Biostar MB) but every annoying thing I experienced with the Speedstream has vanished - the Alcatel Speed Touch Home ROCKS!!! Even with the standard issue Enternet 300 software it's working flawlessly and I have yet to be booted or lose my streaming media connection. Just my personal opinion, but the $150 charge is money WELL spent just in saving you from all the headaches with the Speedstreams! I can honestly say the service itself has been very good for 2 months now - downtime could be measured in minutes, but the USABILITY just increased tenfold with the ethernet modem. Hope this helps someone!!

***64 meg of RAM - man, I was rockin' the high-tech tip eh?!? And 1200/225 was "blazing speed"...

Ahhh, the good old days of BellSouth - good people in the field, great services, early usage of fiber to the curb - and then they sold out to AT&T, reducing the entire Southeast to second-class citizens. Damn shame, I thought we already broke up the "Ma Bell" phone company once...***