AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by fenix_jn See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Cheaper than cable"
Bad "Unstable, speed STILL fluctuates, but not as much as before"
Overall "Usable internet for most applications... remember CAPS!"

04/03/11:Well so far the speed has stabilized to a blazing 3.5Mbps, some days it will go to 4.2Mbps. Now I receive emails and physical mail every week about Uverse and how it is something that I have not seen before, yada yada yada... for the wonderful price of $89 with a contract.. btw the internet speed included in that is 3 Mbps. I guess since this package includes TV and phone seems unnecessary to me. Aside that, the new TOS also might become a problem in the near future, hoping that they wont enforce that until after I'm out of the promotional deal.

So far DSL works, getting 55 to 70% of the advertised speed.. well it could be worse from what I have seen in some other places. ABB (Cable) is still on the roof as far as pricing for internet service... plus the fees and all that. Even at the comparable speed for ATT, ABB is still more expensive, go figure.

Back to BS (09/08/10): Well after my little disaster with ABB I had no option than to return to ATT (gotta love monopolized markets...). Installation took me about a month due to some technician not showing up and reporting everything done. After multiple phone calls and some issue with my HOA, I was finally able to get DSL 6.0 Mbps. Good thing they have a little promo going for a year at $19.95/mo.

Speedwise, not the best: speed rarely goes over 4.5 Mbps. Sometimes the modem will disconnect on its own but will reconnect within the minute. The average speed is usually around 3.1 - 3.3 Mbps/300 - 450 Kbps. I was able to use my old westell 6100 modem instead of the 2Wire ones so saved myself the $75 (which are refunded after rebate... after a few months... on a prepaid card... with fees).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

Ok a little update on the status: Well finally I got Xtreme 6.0 and I must say it's amazing... Sometimes it goes over 6.5 Mbps. nice!... the change actually took them almost a week, I got decieved by the online system. So far, I have not experienced the disconnections anymore...

Back to BS: Well since I'm not the owner of the phone line my family makes changes without my previous knowledge. So I was about to scream to a BS rep and found out that my own family moved me from EL to BS... consider this the reason. Well, ok here we are:

Service is still stable, so far I still need to disconnect/reconnect sometimes from router (or reset modem) when connection seems unresponsive. However, I recently moved and I'm aiming to get extreme speed this time (6.0 Mbps) if building structure allows it (and distance from CO....). After my unscheduled move I'm checking out some new features:

Now I'm not on BS, I'm on AT&T (old news)

DSL speed changes can be done online and can be changed on the fly (before it took them 3 days to make this happen, even if the order was placed online)

DSL seems cheaper on high tiers (6.0 @ $42.95?, but I understand this as result of the merge)

So far I'm happy except for my reconnection issues but they are very seldom.

Well I started with Lite (256/64) and I understood that speed is necessary. I use my internet mostly for online gaming and file downloads so I really needed more. Currently I am on the Ultra/Extreme (I'm not quite sure...) (3000/256)... I wanted to go full 6 Mbps but it seems that I can't because of geographical issues.

Ordering and installing was kind of easy for me since I had installed wired networks in the past. 5 full days to get the modem. It takes 2 days (at least 1 full day) to "upgrade" (Yes, I tested each one of the speeds offered by bellsouth and each one took at least 2 days to complete).

So far speed is as promised. Sometimes I have to restart the modem because it just won't connect. Beside that, customer service is good. I should say great but here's why: One night I was working on my PC and suddenly the internet went down. After research I found that it was their server. So I call at 2.30 am and they actually picked up and told me that they were doing upgrades to their servers and service should be reinstated by next morning. Well I had to work with dial-up. What bothers me is the fact that they did not notify me. A email would been nice.

The speed is as stated most of the times with a few bottlenecks in which the speed is like 1.5 - 2 mbps but I can live with that as long as it does not fall below 1 mbps. Static IP seems to work flawlessly.

member for 7.7 years, 2341 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bsstan See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Williamson,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast courteous service"
Overall "Very pleased with the service I received"

I highly recommend AT&T DSL service.

Comments:

Review by algerardi See Profile

• Location: Milton,Santa Rosa,FL
Good "Still very reliable and responsive."
Bad "Email service is sometimes slow or unresponsive."
Overall "Reliable and consistent download and upload speeds"

UPDATE: Still Rock solid and going strong after a year. Haven't been down once. Had a few growing pains with the Email service and web mail, but so far within the last couple of weeks has been ok. Would highly recommended. Download speeds constant 1.2meg and up load aprox 217K.

UPDATE: Upgraded to the DSL extreme service without a hitch. Download speed consistently around 2450K with upload 220K. Haven't had one service interruption. I have noticed though that my routing has changed. My routing path is now from my dsl modem to Miami then back up to Mobile,Al then on out which has increased my latency times. I am not using BS dns servers. I am using PE-BIND which is very responsive and reliable.

Bottom Line----still much more reliable than cable broadband ever was.

Recently upgraded to the 6 meg service. The upgrade went flawlessly. Even got a new free Westel modem out of the deal. Service rocks and haven't had any service outages.

Update: Since coming under the AT&T fold......download and upload speeds are great and stable. The only issue I'm having now....is with the unresponsiveness of AT&T mail servers. They have gone done the tubes. No issues when POP Bellsouth email servers......I have tired both SSL per AT&T instructions and also default POP port 110. Both the same issues.

At times they work ok.....but most times it takes one or two or three tries to get connected and logged into their servers to get my emails. No issues with the web mail.

Updated:

My download speed has actually increased to 6.5Meg down and still 425K upload. Don't have U-verse in the area so maybe thats why my speeds are great at the moment. Also getting my 6meg extreme service for 19.95 a month after I called the AT&T Retention desk.....I told them I saw the ads on TV..so why couldn't I have that price since I was paying 40 some dollars/month. So I commited for 12 months. Can't beat that as long as the service remains.

Comments:

Review by libertyfolk See Profile

• Location: Cayce,Lexington,SC
Good "affordable 3g and dsl"
Bad "poor customer service"
Overall "teach yourself and save"

How many Cities with 3G,speed and cost
We have 2 mobile phones and both have 3G broadband. We are wireless.and DSL

• Location: Gainesville,Hall,GA
Good "Reliable and as advertised speed"
Bad "You can spend hours on hold for tech support."
Overall "Anything is better than Charter"

I was paying Charter $50 a month for 5 Mb/s but rarely got over 3.

Now paying ATT $43 a month for 6 Mb/s and usually get more than that.

Phone support is horrible. %50 chance of getting someone who's native language is not English. 75% chance of getting someone who does not understand the script they are reading. Just hang up and try again.

(review was emailed from domain att.net)

Comments:

Review by halfempty See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Reliable and reasonably priced."
Bad "Horrid tech support after hours."
Overall "Good service for the price."

Had to change ISP because the small company I was with was leaving the market area. Not the first time I've had to change DSL providers because they went out of business or stopped providing DSL service. That's one of the reasons I went with AT&T, they should be around for a while. I stuck with DSL rather than try U-Verse or cable because the speed I have (3000/384) is adequate for what I need, I'm happy with DirecTV (Comcast customer service is terrible down here), and I had all the equipment already in place for DSL, just had to change the login.

I called to place the order and the salesperson informed me of the different options and promotions. I pay 32.95 instead of 37.95 because of a combined billing discount, and after 2 or 3 months of service I should be getting a credit bringing it down to 14.95 a month for a year. I'll believe that when I see it.

The line was ready a day before the scheduled completion date, but the welcome package with all the information I needed wasn't scheduled to be delivered until the next evening, so I called support. The support you get during normal Mon.-Sat. extended business hours is great. The support you get after hours is worthless. They seem to subcontract that to a foreign call center where they don't really know what they are talking about, they just read scripts.

Overall I'm satisfied with the service, so far it seems to be reliable and fairly consistent. I haven't seen any of the speed drops people in other AT&T areas have complained about recently, maybe I'm just lucky this time. As long as you can live with a dynamic IP and ports 25 and 80 blocked, I would recommend this service.

member for 13.4 years, 1021 visits, last login: 200 days ago

Comments:

Review by Juke Box See Profile

• Location: Proverbs 3
Good "There were some."
Bad "There were some."
Overall "They were the best bang for buck in the area I lived."

·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
I had moved to James Island, SC and actually carried the Comcast I had over. But I ended up the last customer on the line that was probably over serviced. I ended up replacing it with the AT&T Dry Loop DSL 6.0.
I am happy that I get 80% plus of the service at any given time. The installation of the self install kit was easy. I was up and running in less than 20 minutes of opening the box to the kit.

UPDATE:
I was having issues with Comcast for several months who could not fix a bridge tap until I had them reduce my tv service to basic basic cable. They were forced to fix the bridge tap problem after a few months, Comcast offered me a great deal on the Performance package.

Sorry AT&T, I held out for Uverse which seems to be awhile when it it comes to my neighborhood.

member for 13.6 years, 5308 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xearon See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Reliable, Good Customer Service"
Bad "Delay in Availability"
Overall "A Great Value"

UPDATE My AT&T Bellsouth DSL service has been deteriorating recently. Smokeping showed up to 100% packet loss at times. Speed was very inconsistent such that watching Netflix was severely impacted and it became impossible to watch a whole show in high def.

I changed to the new AT&T U-Verse after Dish Network cancelled some of my channels and am happy with the decision.

______________________________________________________________

BellSouth initially advertised their ADSL without the infrastructure to support the demand. The result was some extensive wait time after contacting them to get the service. They impressed me with their customer service by being honest and open about the problem and by giving me a dial up account at no charge until the DSL was in place.

The promotion that I took advantage of with BellSouth gave me a free internal PCI modem if I installed it myself. The modem was not a low quality budget model as I had feared but a top rate 3Com modem that installed easily and has performed flawlessly.

My internet service has not been interupted once since I started with BellSouth two months ago. My E-mail service with them has only been interupted once. Then I sent a message through their web page. It was working again within the hour and a representative called the next day to check on me.

My speed according to »www.computingcentral.com/topics/···t500.asp has varied between approximately 90 K bytes/sec and 150 K bytes/sec. I have a static IP address and have been most satisfied with their service and their support.

Comments:

Review by wport See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistent Service, always up"
Bad "6 MB cap without U-verse."
Overall "Would like to keep basice 6 MB without Uverse"

I've been with Bellsouth DSL, now AT&T. for 10 + years. Service has always been consistent and reliable. Consistently getting advertised speeds. Haven't heard too many good things about U-Verse. It's not available in my area anyway.

member for 13.9 years, 342 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by outatym See Profile

• Location: Mayfield,Graves,KY
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Rock Solid Reliability, Decent Price for the Speed"
Bad "Having to PROVE that I was capable of 6.0"
Overall "7+ year customer, they must be doing something right"

Can't complain about the speed or the price. I did though have to PROVE that I was capable of the 6.0 tier since their service location database was wrong. A few posts to the direct forum and a tech helped out and got me past the level one and two call-in script readers. Now I'm rock solid 6.0 and loving it.