AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by powrogers See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Consistent 3Mb DSL connection for years"
Bad "Online signup TERRIBLE, online account access mediocre"
Overall "It's fine"

Really the only reasonable option for me as I don't want TV. I have the 3Mb DSL and local phone service (land line) - together this is $63/mo including taxes and whatnot. Ordering and installation wasn't problematic. I use my own equipment. Worst experience was when I accidentally used my username/password at someone else's house and then couldn't log in at home. They eventually debugged this over the phone, but only after several days and two or three different technician visits.

Comments:

Review by jmelcher See Profile

• Location: Augusta,Columbia,GA
Good "Reliable, cost effective"
Bad "Took 2 weeks to get service activated"
Overall "Good value for the money"

Using AT&T FastAccess® DSL Xtreme 6.0

6MB down, 512K up and every speed test has it right on the money. Switched to DSL from Cable, as Comcast wanted $10 for basic cable, then $29.95 for Internet. Albeit it was faster, I didn't feel $39.95 was worth it being faster. DSL has been fast enough for 99% of my Internet usage. I upload a lot of photos so I can notice the difference there, but that's about the only time I do notice it.

Comments:

Review by sportsfan54 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Jones,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Constant, fast connection."
Bad "None at the moment"
Overall "Well worth waiting for."

I've had Bellsouth FastAccess for about 3 months now. I'm using the Alcatel Speed Touch modem with PPPoA. After a little tweaking I'm getting a constant 1260/220 speed. I have never lost sync or a connection since I've had it. I went with the Professional installation because of my alarm system. The installers were very new at installing but they did a great job with it. My Email seemed a little slow for the first couple of weeks, but it seems do be doing fine now. The news servers are a different matter though. Right now it seems like nobody knows what's going on. Bellsouth changed their news servers and now they can't answer any questions that you may have. Overall I am very pleased with Bellsouth FastAccess. I don't know if I could ever go back to a 56Kb connection again.

April,3,2002
Just updating my review for BSFA. I have changed from the Alcatel USB modem to the Alcatel STH with a Linksys router. I changed to get rid of the dialup software. Went from PPPoA to PPPoE with no difference in speeds. My pings went from the 80's to the high 30's and low 40's after BS changed my routing to Atlanta. BS is now using Webusenet for their newsservers. It's not perfect but they do seem to be getting better. I am still very well pleased with BS. BS has some very well qualified people that assist in the BS forum here at BBR.

10/10/2002 Update
BSFA is still running great. I have not had even one minute of downtime since my last review. BS has had a few problems with their E-mail servers in the last month but was really not a problem for me. Overall, I am still very pleased with Bellsouth DSL.

August 13,2003 Update
Bellsouth's routing changes added about 10 more hops to certain URL's such as to here at BBR so pings have went up from 40's to 70's. I have had no downtime or disconnects since my last review. I am satisfied overall with my service with BSFA.

4/20/04 Update
Upgraded to BS Extreme with absolutely no problems. Extreme comes with a Static IP which some subscribers really don't want, but it doesn't matter to me. Newgroups are much better since WebUseNet was dropped and BS took them back over. I am very satisfied with BS DSL.

1/6/05 Update
BS Extreme has been great since I upgraded. Speeds show as 2503/320 with Speakeasy speed tests. No downtime at all. The Bellsouth newsgroups get a little flakey every once in a while but they are okay. I am still very satisfied with BSFA. I am still using the Alcatel STH with a Linksys router. BellSouth is doing a good job here in this small town in Mississippi.

7/7/05 Update
Everything is working great. My speeds are now 2953/320. I have not had an outage or any other problems in so long that I really couldn't tell you when it was. E-mail has been fine and newgroups have been okay with an occasional burp. BSFA has been doing a great job for me for the last 4 years.

1/7/06 Update
Still going the same with no problems whatsoever. I have not been able to upgrade to the 6.0 Extreme service. I expect it is because of all the hurricane damage. I was told this week that the service may be available next week. Extreme 3.0 pricing just went down to $37.95 a month. I am very well pleased with my service from Bellsouth.

8/10/06 Update
I was finally able to upgrade to the 6000/512 service. Speeds are great. I have had no down time at all. I am very pleased with Bellsouth.

3/16/07 Update
I am still getting great service with A & T Southeast. I have not had any problems at all. Still very pleased with my DSL.

9/19/07 Update
Everything is still going just great. I have had no problems at all since my last review. I am still very pleased with my service.

3/23/08 Update
I'm still getting the same great service that I have come to expect with my DSL service.

9/26/08 Update
No down time at all with my service. AT&T has dropped all binaries in their newsgroups but that does not bother me at all. Still great service.

3/27/09 Update
Still the same great service that I have always had. No downtime at all.

3/30/10 Update
Still doing as well today as it did the day I got it. No problems at all.

member for 12.9 years, 6307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jagoins See Profile

• Location: Vero Beach,Indian River,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "reliabililty. Speed is fairly constant at 5780/420"
Bad "none"
Overall "I am still on the same service after several years. Yes, I would like to have faster speed, but....."

I originally signed up for 12 months along with free modem and no install charge 3 years ago. I have been satisfied with the service. In addition, I was able to get my $49.95 monthly charge (Fast Access level of service, 1500/256) decreased by $5.00 by signing up for Complete Choice and decreased by another $10.00 for signing up for BellSouth Long Distance. Then I increased my service level up to the Extreme Level (3000/384) for an additional $5.00 per month. So I now pay $39.95 and I am happy with the service, also static IP. To my knowledge, I have never had a service outage. The email quit working for 2 days once while they upgraded the email. Other than that, the service is very reliable. I have my own router and 3 computers in my home and we are heavy users. The download speed is 2300 and the upload is 315. I am very satisfied.

I placed my orders online and did my own install. Everything went smooth. Of course, it pays to have a good understanding of networks and the modem software. The easiest way to do an install is to buy a router at a discount store and let it handle the software issues. That way you do not have to load dialing software (if PPPoE) or modem software on your computer.

Updated to extreme 6.0 in June 06. connected within 2 days at 6.0+ even before BS notified me that it was ready. My existing modem works fine at 6.0

Downgraded to the Ultra package at 1.5 in February 07 at $32.95 per month. I did it to save money. Everything is great. Reliability and speed are tops.

Comments:

Review by daddycoy See Profile

• Location: Lenoir City,Loudon,TN
Good "Speed is there.."
Bad "Connection is stable.."
Overall "AT&T is stable.. awesome techs that come to your house =]."

Once they fixed my problem.. on there end connection is solid.. awesome tech that came to my house.. everything on my end was great.. the box outside had a bad filter.. before the test jack.. im getting my connection speed then some.. i recommend at&t over the other isp here which is charter.. AT&T you made me happy.. just like Bellsouth did..

Comments:

Review by RMWalden See Profile

• Location: Havana,Gadsden,FL
Good "Modem shipped on time. Great reliable service so far."
Bad "Customer service is a joke in most cases"
Overall "At current price, excellent deal"

I ordered Bellsouth/AT&T DSL Ultra 1.5 on Friday February 12th 2010. My modem arrived on Tuesday as scheduled. Kit was complete and included extra filters for other phone jacks.

Setup disk made setup easy and fast. I only needed a little tech support and they were very helpful.

I have had DSL service all day today, the day of initial setup, and I am very satisfied so far.

Update:
Still have reliable service three days after install. Speeds are decent (considering I was on dial-up) at just over 1.2MB.

The only drawback is that the Motorola 2210-02-1006 modem cannot be adjusted as to MTU/MRU settings (that I can find). I have set up native windows PPPoE and it performs a little better.

I have had no outages and connections are instant and stay connected.

UPDATE: Customer service is completely incapable in many ways. Prepare for frustration.

Comments:

Review by jwwrs See Profile

• Location: Corinth,Alcorn,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Usually 5.7 up 420 down...has been rock solid for over a year now."
Bad "SEE TEXT"
Overall "It(internet service) is outstanding...SEE TEXT"

ATT/Bellsouth keeps putting illegitimate 3rd party charges on my bill. Got this taken care of about 7-8 months ago, but now it's showing a $16.00 a month charge again. This was after the rep I talked to said this would be blocked from then on.

As far as ISP is concerned, I'm very happy.

Letting scammers put charges on my bill, REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!

I (and no one else, either) should have to go through the time and trouble to get charges taken off.

member for 12.8 years, 1497 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by kbrady1979 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Simpson,KY
Good "It works well, and is consistant"
Bad "Low level tech support is a disaster, and it could be faster."
Overall "The speed is always there when you need it, its affordable but not the fastest available."

I have had this service for a number of years. It has almost always been reliable. Low level tech support is a horrible, but after awhile you can figure out a way past them. I receive a 12 dollar a month discount for bundling services so my monthly DSL charge is 32.95 which is very affordable. Only really negative aspect is its not nearly the fastest service out there. Comcast is faster, but isn't as reliable as AT&T fast access.

Comments:

Review by SinNombre See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Steady service, good price, no real outages in a year."
Bad "NO U-Verse in my area, yet."
Overall "Steadier speeds and service than TW, by a long shot!"

Speeds with TW in the Southeast are a joke. Variable speeds all day long and rarely hit top speeds at any time of the day. Absolutely clueless customer service. Pretty much they don't care - at least they act like it.

Called to get the DSL hooked up and it took relatively little time to get that accomplished. The line techs are the best - they know what they're doing. The kids you talk to on the phone are the worst. The kids who came out to bury the line that had to be run through my yard screwed it up the first time, so someone had to come back and do it again.

Actual throughput is simply on target and consistent. I don't have service interruptions several times per month like I did with Time Warner. Loving it so far because I don't have to think about it. Slower speeds, technically, than with TW, but it's consistent and reliable and doesn't drop out on me. Waiting for U Verse to come to town, now.

Customer service is the same as anywhere. You get robots on the phone, and most of the time sounds like they're not from the same country as you. What sets people apart is if you actually have to call customer service. If you have no reason to and complain, that's good customer service in itself.

Comments:

Review by Kinjin See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Bradley,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast, reliable, easy install"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Great service, at a decent price."

Update 01/22/2010
I have since upgraded 3.0 and it went smooth. My DSL has been rock solid.

I checked the bellsouth.net site and it said DSL would be coming March 5. I placed a pre-order on service (1.5M/256K for 49.95 a month) in January. On Feb. 18 I got a call saying my DSL was active and I should get my modem soon. The next day I got my modem, a westell 220, install was easy and only took about 10 mins and I was online. The connection has been very stable and my speeds are a constant 1250/218 thus far. I have not needed to call tech support so I didn't rate it. If anything changes I will keep this review updated.