AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Extreme 3 is more reliable than ever"
Bad "No speed upgrades, ever. 3 mbps is not enough in today's world."
Overall "Good, solid connection"

·Charter
UPDATE 10-APR-2014

I have dropped this service, switching to cable. It became apparent that modern speed upgrades were never going to come to my neighborhood. I now feel like I held on to DSL too long, and it wish I had switched, sooner.

UPDATE 14-NOV-2013

Price has gone up, no change in service. U-Verse will apparently never be available in my neighborhood. I am considering switching to cable internet, but I really hate the cable company. However, they offer much faster connection speeds.

UPDATE 31-JAN-2013

Still no changes. 3 mbps service is still good, while 6 mbps is no longer offered to me. I cannot get U-Verse service, either.

UPDATE: 7-FEB-2011

Not much has changed since my 2009 update. I'm still using the old Westell 6100 and I still have a solid connection. No news is good news, I guess.

UPDATE: 20-DEC-2009

Motorola 2210 burned up and I replaced it with old Westell 6100; connection is now very reliable. Speeds are very good for my service level. AT&T switched to Yahoo! web mail and it is really awful. I am now using a paid web host for my email service. Tech Support is also awful - when you call with a problem, they want to talk about and do anything except something to do with your problem.

UPDATE: 5-Sep-2008

I had to go back to Extreme 3. 6 dropped sync too often. The good news is that I stayed on ADSL 2 instead of g.dmt and my connection is now very stable.

UPDATE: 13-Feb-2008

After years of waiting, I was finally able to order Extreme 6 service. First speed test gave 5119 down and 424 up.

I gave up on the email and went to a paid email host. Bellsouth's spam filtering lets through too many spams and filters out too many good messages, so I was spending all my time separating my email.

member for 14.1 years, 6251 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
scottwn

join:2004-06-07
Birmingham, AL

AT&T

I have just done the same thing in Hoover. I was paying about $80 a month for 18mb Uverse...now I'm getting twice the speed for half the cost.

Review by CrippleFight See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "static ip"
Bad "speed"
Overall "its ok so far"

·WOW Internet and..
works fine

Comments:

Review by Tekman222ps See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Butts,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "consistent speeds and uptime"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service, no real problems"

Over the last 5 years, I have had 1.5, 3.0, 6.0, and now back to 3.0 since I moved to a new location that does not yet support 6.0 service. Through it all, and with all tiers of speeds the service has been rock solid. The few times that I did encounter a loss of sync were dealt with promptly.

Update 07/09 - Still going strong. Supplied modem (Motorola) died, replaced with a Netopia and all is good...

Update 8/6/11 - Still no issues - as reliable as ever although with my current position at my job (I work remotely) - the 150GB cap is going to be hard to manage. Unfortunately I do not have any other options at this time

Update 10/23/12 - Still no issues - wish I could get faster speeds.....

Update 2/26/13 - Still wishing for faster speeds - no other options at my address. I am stuck in the slow age

member for 11 years, 4707 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Choices

You don't have any other choices? How about Time Warner or Comcast? I have uverse max 12/2 and haven't had any issues so far with the 250gb data cap.

Review by GSTEXEC1 See Profile

• Location: Fort Pierce,Saint Lucie,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast at getting service setup initially"
Bad "When U-Verse was installed in area all DSL Services went to pot..."
Overall "No Upgrade and no support after U-verse in Area..."

Signed up for service FastAccess DSL 6.0m in August 2008. Had the modem and service setup in 5 days. After that it has been constant calls to technical support and at least 35 truck rolls to house to finally decide to cancel service today. 7/16/09. Had 2 different trucks at house today and the second one finally stated he replaced the card that provides service but can not explain why every time the phone ring or you pick up the phone to call the modem will lose sync. This happen at the nid with the house disconnected or if the house is connected.

It would appear to me that AT&T needs to work on the service aspect of this product at least in my area. I noticed that in the last 2 months they have started offering U-Verse in some ares where I live and it seams that FastAccess DSL has suffered since that time.

The customer support and technical people have been super for there help but the outside techs are of no help. This makes the whole company look bad.

I would recommend if you do sign up for service from AT&T in this area and have problems just cancel ASAP and do not waste your time calling then since the outside techs will not take the time to repair a problem.

******* UPDATE *** 12/17/09 Update after several calls from ATT to try the service again since they had replaced the main lines on a section of the poles that service my home I signed up for FastAccess DSL again and was surprised that it was much better at keeping connections. After talking to a friend about the 2Wire gateway he and several people told me to get a Westell gateway only to find out not available from ATT so I went on eBay and purchased a Westell 7500 Gateway for Verizon and set it up to find I have not had a disconnect for over 60 days. If I reconnect the 3Wire Gateway I get a lower sync rate and about every 5 days it reconnects at a slower sync. Reconnected the Westell Gateway and I have not had any problems except for DSL Support calling and saying that they cannot talk to my modem..

I will recommend ATT DSL for my area if you can get a Westell modem or Gateway.. Going from my experience..

*******UPDATE****** 2/14/10 My service continues to be the best. I still use the Westell DSL Gateway and have never lost the connection. ATT started installing the equipment for U-Verse and stated it would be about 6 mths till able to get service. This is due to their check out of lines, equipment and I understand and will wait for them to let me know service is available. I will enjoy getting rid of Comcast for cable tv.

******UPDATE*******6/6/10 About a month ago hookup ATT U-Verse for TV/Internet/Phone on one phone line have to say I love it. Technician ran new cat6 from nid to gateway and back for phone and all new rg6u to all tv's. The service is Great and I still have 2 ATT FastAccess DSL lines also with pots phone.

*******UPDATE****** 01/06/11 Have had U-Verse and 2 DSL Lines for a while but the dsl lines after 4:30pm till about 1am in the morning slow down to under 1m. Called support and was told both lines fine. Checked stats and they do not change any on the modems at the nid or inside. The pings go from 49-52ms yo 100-120ms when the slow down occurs. ATT sent 5 different tech to the house starting with Eco-Comm then BST techs all stating after replacing cards in dslam it was a network problem. I checked with about 10 neighbors who did not realize but the same slowdown occurring. This slowdown is all over the forums in every ATT area. Since also they plan to stop the bundle discount and in essence increase the dsl charges I have disconnected the 2 dsl lines and changed the pots service over to Comcast. In the past I was very unhappy with Comcast but they have upgraded the lines and installed DOSCIC3. For the same price as 1 dsl I now get 25/4 service from Comcast and has not changed a bit and 2 phone lines for less money than my ATT bill. Sorry for long winded update. Thanks

*******UPDATE******8/07/13 I presently have a 6m Fastaccess DSL line for backup it stays at 5.8m and no complaints. They replaced the drop to the house a while back and all problems went away. In my area Uverse is now pushed and no new hookups to dsl. I also have a new U-verse 45/5 Internet line and after install stays at 46/5.5. I have not had to call support in a long time so ups some of my rating.

*******UPDATE******1/11/14 I went online to pay bill and it stated I could upgrade so I clicked thru the link and was told UVerse was available in 18mb for $29.95 a month for 12 months, 12mb available for 24.95 a month for 12 months free install and modem on upgrade. so I clicked to add to cart and then the price changes to $44.95 a month for 12 months plus $199.99 install and modem so I called in. Was given an order for the 18mb $29.95 a month for 12 month and free install and modem. Then I receive a letter in the mail confirming order but was for 12mb for 36.95 a mointh for 12 months and no charge for install or modem. I posted in direct and ATT Exec esc called to let me know that no where on the site is the price I stated but I printed out the info and no change. Today I called and cancelled the uverse upgrade and my present AT&T DSL service since I called Comcast and they installed the 25mb internet service for $29.95 a month for 12 months. No install charge I have my own modem that I purchased at Staples for 19.95 on sale. So sometimes it is better to just change service than try to stay with AT&T.

Comments:

Review by maestro7 See Profile

• Location: Loganville,Walton,GA
Good "Overall, steady service"
Bad "Lately, something's been physically impacting the line"
Overall "Can't upgrade DSL, hoping U-Verse becomes available, else have to go elsewhere for service"

·DIRECTV
Since we've been at our present address, we've had a few issues with AT&T
DSL, but overall it had been pretty good.

Two strikes against us, though:

1. Home is just far enough away from the CO (Central Office) that we cannot
get anything higher than 3.0MBps downstream;
2. U-Verse is not yet provisioned for our area (though another node -- we
once found it -- is provisioned for it, but on a different downstream line,
though only about 1.5 miles away from the house).

Then, back on 6/15/2011 when major rain storms came through eastern Atlanta,
the DSL sync light on my Netgear router/modem (excellent device, BTW) began
going down every 15 minutes for about 15 seconds and then back up. I called
this in and (probably "of course") they saw no apparent problems on the
line, opened a ticket, and had me call back if the problem persisted.

Then today, with a day off, my son and I attempted to watch a couple of
kid's movies on Netflix, which kept getting interrupted due to buffering
issues. Netflix's customer support was excellent, even letting me know just
how much the download speed was all over the map -- from between 0.5MBps to
2.xMBps. Therefore, I decided to call AT&T about it.

At first, 1 out of every 5 speed tests using AT&T's speed tester came back
with the same types of results as what NFLX saw. After some prodding of the
CSR (though not much, as she eventually volunteered me to the supervisor),
they finally attempted to reprovision the DSL line to a different
speed/sound noise profile (the CSR kept wanting me to reboot my PC in "F8"
mode (Safe Mode), and I kept asking her why, especially when my PS3, my
iPhone and my PC were all showing the same results, meaning it either had to
be the router or the network, per se). They reprovisioned, made the
situation worse, backed down to the original profile, and now my speeds are
affected 50% percent of the time (left worse than to begin with).

They are sending out a tech sometime tomorrow afternoon. I hope this fixes
the issue, as they've had to mess with a local break-out box on a previous
call and supposed had to "borrow" an extra line or channel just to get us
operational again.

Update/new review when the job completes...

Update - 12/27/2013:

All issues had since cleared.

While this has been a steady service over the years, the wife and I have had it being unable to share bandwidth at the 3 Mbps level.

I will next be reviewing Comcast HSI, which shall now relegate DSL to purely a backup service until such time as my wife is OK with canceling it (she has consistently despised anything cable, but our need for more bandwidth is trumping her hatred).

After several checks with AT&T both in person and online, there is absolutely no indication if or when U-verse will be deployed to our address. We'd really prefer U-verse as the only viable alternative to DirecTV.

Comments:

Catmando
join:2002-10-22
Anderson, IN

impedance, impedance, impedance

You need nid splitter or cat5 directly from you network interface to you DSL Gateway.
This will cut down on loss packages and increase line speeds. Also ask to be put on a Interleave profile this will compensate for any additional lost packages further increasing your line speed.
maestro7

join:2004-08-31
Loganville, GA
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast

Re: impedance, impedance, impedance

Hi, Catmando:

While I appreciate the response, and since ATT DSL/U-verse will likely never achieve any significant speeds in our area (I can't even upgrade back to 3Mbps since we downgraded to 768k as a backup solution presently), we're now enjoying Comcast HSI at 50+ Mbps with no latency, ping or other issues at this time.

Thanks.

join:2002-10-22
Anderson, IN

Re: impedance, impedance, impedance

That sounds awesome. In this economy you have to do what's going to benefit yourself. I'm happy to hear you made the best choice.

Review by tnewton See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "best price for the speed"
Bad "will not support my VOIP phone; horrible tech support "
Overall "SWITCHING form Uverse despite just getting it!"

U-Verse

Called support because VOIP would not work. My company tells me they've had problems with AT&T Uverse. Unbeliaveable. They'd promise call backs and did not. Gave my account number 5 times during the same 30 minute conversation. Their VOIP area is for businesses only. I have spent more than 2 hours on the phone with someone directly with no resolution other than it must be the phone (that works for all our other remote employees).

Comments:

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

UVERSE = Bonded DSL

Do you know how to open ports on your router? Do you know how to setup a VOIP phone system? If not, it may be user error.

Review by kdjo See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Decent downstream speed."
Bad "Some streaming services seem to not buffer correctly. Router is better than I expected."
Overall "I've only had it two weeks and will update when/if I can work the bugs out."

I have internet only Uverse (no TV or phone) 24/3

Comments:

Review by Gizmo See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Fast & reliable connection and it was a prompt & efficient installation..."
Overall "Awesome - good bang for the buck....!"

I have been with BellSouth ADSL ( now AT&T) since 1999 and I have had nothing but good reliable service! I've only had to call tech support several times and they have, for the most part, been responsive to my questions.

I'm at 80% of the advertised speed of 3000kbps down/384kbps up.

AT&T replaced my 2Wire modem with an Netgear 7550 modem free of charge and no contract. I will eventually move to U-Verse.

I'm having a great time, great speed, and great overall service. Still no complaints from me after 14 years!

member for 14.1 years, 5674 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tel See Profile

• Location: Mauldin,Greenville,SC
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Not a thing so far"
Overall "Excellent Service"

I have 6meg internet and am on the 32meg profile. I am able to view 4HD channels at the same time. With the 6MB internet I can and have streamed HD movies from Amazon with no problem.

I have had AT&T Uverse now for 2 years and as opposed to Charter where my service was out weekly, I have yet to experience an outage on my TV or internet. Others have reported pixelating or tearing especially on sporting events. I have yet to experience any of these and the picture quality is comparible to Charter cable.

After all these years I finally had a problem...the DVR died. I had a new DVR in hand the next day and it took me every bit of 10 minutes installing it, most of that unpacking it. The only problem I had was spending the next month getting the extra $125 taken off my bill because someone put it in as an upgrade and not a defective unit. Finally after 8 emails and 5 phone calls it was removed.

member for 13 years, 4499 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jay_bob See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Richland,SC
Good "It works mostly but the downloads freeze and stall all the time"
Bad "Technology frozen in time"
Overall "Unless you only want to check you email forget it"

Update 11/5/2013:
Unfortunately I had all I could stand and I dumped them for Time Warner yesterday. Too many TCP retransmit delays > 20 seconds at a time. No plans to upgrade our Marconi fiber system so I would be stuck on 3/0.3 forever.

Youtube was completely unwatchable even with it on 360. Buffer and freeze, and then it would just stop cold and never go past that point. If someone tried to open a web page, just a simple page request, anyone else in the house would freeze up too.

If this is the only service passing your house I feel sorry for you.

Update 12/16/2008:
Still going great. I ordered the 2wire 2701 router this year and upgraded from my old 2wire 1000 that I had brought with me from TX. I also got a letter that told me I was eligible for a price reduction on a bundle so I was able to cut my bill by about 25%.

Update 1/28/2008:
No problems other than the DNS outage a few months ago. Went to OpenDNS and never looked back.

Update 6/24/2007:
Still works great, no problems at all. Just wish the "new" AT&T would match the price structure of the "old" AT&T (i.e. the former SBC in the midwest). The only time I can remember being down was about 6 months ago when most of the Southeast went down for about a day.

I do live in a newer neighborhood that has the fiber to the pedestal (brown ped with vents on top, about 1 foot square top and 2-1/2 feet tall) about 3 houses down, so there really isn't a lot of copper in my loop. This helps the reliability significantly.

I do like the fact that you aren't sharing bandwidth with your neighbors like you do with cable. This is one of the main reasons I have stayed with DSL instead of cable even though cable is faster.
----------------------------------------------
Moved to Columbia, SC a year ago from SBC land in Texas. Order rep was very helpful with the initial setup - gave me the user name and temp password during the same call as when I set up the telephone service.

Moved into an existing house, so the dial tone came up as promised on the day we moved in. A few days later a big envelope with filters and a CD came but I had already put a NID filter in so those went into the junk drawer. Never used the CD.

On the promised date, plugged in my existing router (2 Wire Home Portal), put in the new key code for Bell South, and it synced up like magic. Logged in and set up the account and mailboxes and off to the races.

Only complaint I have is the price for the speed - I was used to significantly less cost in Texas, and had Yahoo features to boot. You do get a static IP, though.