AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by tonystewart See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Reliable Fast U Verse Service"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Stable Connection"

13+ Years with Bellsouth/ AT&T internet services.
4.7 years with Uverse & now with the 45 mb service.
Speed is very fast and very consistent, connectivity is excellent & reliable.
The Motorola Uverse Modem/Router NVG589 has good WiFi range and good speed (N) .
It is connected to a UPS, it works consistently.
The 45 meg service is $76 per month.

member for 14.3 years, 1729 visits, last login: 124 days ago

Comments:

Review by Snoopy2 See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL

Received AT&T U-verse pkg, phone/internet on special promo. Had been comcast customer since back when it was "At Home.com". Many, many, years ago. To say I was apprehensive would be putting it mildly. However after being hooked up, was and still am impressed w/the speed and PRICE as compared to Comcast. Speed ordered/received was 25mb per second and the cost is running $39.95 mo. for 1 year. Received the modem for FREE as well as FREE installation. That was a $150 saving! Overall, if I didn't know the difference, would think I was still attached to Comcast, except the price for them was $62.95 mo. Very satisfied w/AT&T!

member for 13.7 years, 5555 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BellSouthBS See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "..... I got rid of them after 1 year"
Bad "Network password issue; Intermittent service after rainstorms; Frequent disconnects; speed issues; "
Overall "AT&T is NOT a reputable company, and leaves it up to the customer to report defective AT&T infrastructure, DSLAMS, and dead IPs."

·Clear Wireless
I signed up for U-Verse, and found AT&T installing DSL. I was suppose to receive service for $14.95 on a promo, but ended up paying $24.95, a classic AT&T "BAIT & SWITCH"

The service was intermittent after install until they cranked up signal levels on an old telco cable that was put in shortly after God created dirt. I spent more time on the phone with support than I spent on the internet. Around Christmas, they double-billed me, and instead of removing a month, they actually ADDED a third month's charges, which added up to TRIPLE BILLING.

After more outages and lost time, $25 credits were issued, but I never saw any of them on the bill.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I demanded to speak to tier 3 tech support, and was told that every time there was a glitch or power failure, my modem would lose the NETWORK PASSWORD, which required me to go into an advanced setup mode, and re-install the password. Without a password, the modem would work intermittently, and it would be hit or miss if I could load a page, or download a file. After Mark told me this, I thought back over the past year, and wondered why all the hard to understand AT&T tech support people in the Philippines never mentioned this. When I told them I couldn't understand them, they simply continued with their "UNPLUG THE MODEM" speech. I had spent a year with crappy AT&T service and support, only to be told that there is a defect in THEIR system, which required customer intervention for the NETGEAR modems.

Because of all the DSL outages, my fail-safe MBR-1000 modem switched to my unlimited grandfathered wireless modem, but AT&T didn't bother to throttle, they simply suspended service after 5 GB to a paying customer who was paying TWICE for service that he was not getting. This DENIAL OF SERVICE left me and my family without telephone service (VOIP). I am a Federal Communications Commission Liaison Committee Member for the SBE, and am also a Member of The Bar, and now I am preparing to file in Federal Court.

With Japan being wired up for 2 GB down and one GB up, at a cost equivalent to 50 US Dollars, AT&T is ripping off Americans. In addition, AT&T has tons of hidden spectrum (bandwidth), including spectrum on either side of the SDARS Band, where XM-Radio and Sirius Radio reside in the 2.3 GHz spectrum. I have never seen so much greed as I see with AT&T and cable companies. Please remember: Cable companies got their start by stealing signals from TV-Broadcast Stations. They made so much money, and never paid the stations back then, that they could afford to hire lawyers to prosecute people who stole signals from them. How IRONIC.

Comments:

Review by bnewett See Profile

• Location: Saint Augustine,Saint Johns,FL
Good "reliable and consistent service"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "I would recommend it for high speed access"

I have had Bellsouth fast access for many years. Starting with Ultra (1500/256) and moving to Extreme (3000/300) when it became available.I moved up to 6000 service and have been happy with that for the past 3-4 years.

The service is currently U-verse. Change was not for Internet service but that was part of the deal. I have had no problems with it and speeds are noticeable faster than DSL.

Installs of all the services were done by me without any involvement with Bell's customer services. The equipment was received within a week in all case and was installed without problems within a couple of hours.

The e-mail services have had very few problems in the 10 years I've been with them and their spam filters have greatly reduced the amount of spam reaching my computer.

The one thing I regret is moving to the ATT/Yahoo home page. Given my preference I would move back but the annoyances are minimal. This is still a gripe with me.....

Comments:

Review by parputt See Profile

• Location: New Iberia,Iberia,LA
Good "Pretty stable"
Bad "Tech. support not very knowledgeable."
Overall "Sucks"

·Cox HSI
Ordered BSFA 1500/256. Speeds average around 1248/215. Monthly price is 45.89 with LA. tax. Order was filled approx. 3-4 days after I ordered. Was originally provided with Speedstream 4060 USB, but was upgraded to STH Ethernet. I am on an older bridged setup with a static IP. Other than the trouble I had with the Speedstream I have been very pleased with BSFA.

11-25-2002 and still going strong. BSFA is great!

01-29-03 and still kickin'. Still average 1248/215. Do not seem to have been affected by recent routing snafu.

4-7-03 and I am not a happy camper. Starting in February I did start having trouble related to the rerouting BS is doing. My pings are sometime in the 100's as apposed to a norm of 40. I and several others from DSLR have contacted BS and we are being told that they are still fine tuning the new routing. My biggest gripe is that we were not informed prior to this rerouting taking place. I feel that I would be much more receptive to these ping and speed drops had I been pre-warned with some kind of estimated time of completion. I feel BS has forgotten about their customers on this one.

8-15-03 BS rerouted me from Atlanta to New Orleans a few months ago. Pings are more stable and speeds are back up to around 1244/215. Not as good as when I got my service back in 2001, but better than it was at the beginning of this year.

2-10-08 Moved to a new house in a much newer neighborhood and my service is terrible. Looking at switching to Cox.

9-01-10 Finally switched to Cox. Was experiencing frequent disconnects with AT&T. Tech. support was useless. Refused to jump through their hoops any longer.

Comments:

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Solid POTS connection, Complete Choice Basic is a good value!"
Bad "Line noise after rain"
Overall "Solid, reliable connection, decent price."

·Insight Communic..
1/14/13: ordered new telephone service from AT&T (old Bellsouth) on 1/6/13 to port from local cable telephone company. Due to poor cell phone reception, I need to keep a POTS line. Becuase of a promotional offer, I pay 22.59 after taxes for the complete choice basic package. It includes unlimited local calling, caller ID and call waiting ID. No long distance, no other features. Installer arrived around 3:00PM and had to re-configure my NID outside since Insight cut the Bell telephone line a few years ago when installing their service. Dialtone was present in about 30 minutes and the installer closed out the number port. My telephone number was active within an additional 30 minutes.

I did not order any internet services as my only option was Uverse and had prior issues with their customer service in the past. The customer service with AT&T Phone/DSL has been amazing. DSL is not available anymore where I live, and even if it was, I cannot drop to a lower speed having had 15megs through my cable company for so long.

Overall, I have been pleased with this phone service and the customer service received. More updates to follow...

4/3/13: solid connection, no problems to speak of. A porting issue occurred for about two weeks after my telephone number was ported. Anyone using my previous provider (Insight Phone) was having issues calling my telephone number. It was giving a number disconnected intercept message. After investigation, there was something wrong at the switch so it has since been taken care of. Still have the basic phone, no long distance, but do have caller ID and call waiting ID. After taxes, it is about 24.00 a month. Definitely cheaper than my previous telephone service with the cable company.

7/15/13: basic landline, solid, reliable connection. No issues to speak of with AT&T Landline with the exception of line noise after it rains. Reported the issue once before, was fixed within a few days. After heavy rains this past week, problem has came back. AT&T repair seems to do a good job and will call within a few hours of the reported trouble. Happy with the customer service, and this company seems to be different than the Uverse Services. Bill is the same every month, no problems or concerns at this time. Still on a promotional rate of 25.00 after taxes for unlimited local calling with caller ID and call waiting ID. Will reevaluate at the end of the year. AT&T has seemed to stop offering landline telephone in my area since Uverse is available. Scary thought as this is a reliable, solid connection.

Comments:

cheapatfirst

@reliablehosting.com

just wait until that promo is over

after you promo your $24 bill will jump to around $40.

Review by dtyree See Profile

• Location: Valdosta,Lowndes,GA
Good "solid proformance"
Bad "none really"
Overall "works for me"

Been with them since January of 2001. It was rough the first few months getting everything up and running. I had to call several times to get some issues worked out. I kept losing sync. I almost told them to shove it a few times. They finally got their act together and things have been fine ever since.
Started out out with one of those sting ray looking Alcatel USB modems. Didn't really like that thing. Went to an internal modem that I got from Bellsouth and things were better. I ran internet connection sharing for a while and that was a pain. I bought a Alcatel STH from Ebay and went with a Linksys DSL router. Things couldn't be better.
Moved across town several months ago and that went pretty smooth. They put the DSL signal on the wrong incoming line but that was quickly handled.
I then signed up for Extreme and that doubled my speed. Very nice.

The service has been down only rarely. And if it's down, it will be back up in a few hours.

Updated 05-11-06

Still works for me. Rarely ever down. Newsgroups get flakey every once in a while. And I wish retention was longer. But that's really the only negative that I have.

I haven't had to deal with tech support in a year or more. I've heard a lot of horror stories with all the tech support being moved off shore. I work in the IT industry and I have tried dealing with other off shore tech support. I would rather get my toes hammered by a very large hammer then deal with some of the people I have tried to talk to.
I really hope never have any really serious issues that will require me to call support. If I end up talking with someone that I can't understand I'll seriously consider dropping DSL and going with cable.
The email and newsgroups are working just fine for me. I would like the retention to be a little longer. If I go on vacation for a few days I end up missing something. Not much of an issue really.
All and all, things are running smoothly.

Still running smoothly!!

08-10-2007

Came back from vacation and found a dead phone line and no sync. 2-3 days later, they put me on another wire pair and I had a dial tone and I found my DSL actually was slightly faster.
It was running slightly under 6 meg and now it hits 6.2 meg most of the time. Can't beat that.

02-05-2008

Still happy, the newsgroups are still screwy sometimes. I signed up with another Usenet provider to cover for the bad days with ATT newsgroups.

10-23-2008

Still mostly happy. They dumped all the binary newsgroups so that hurt some.
Still getting great speeds. every once in a while the speeds will drop down but a few hours later they are back to full speed.

05-01-2009

Still happy. Binaries are still gone but i get my stuff from Astraweb now. I run DUMeter and i do speed checks every once in a while and i'm still getting 6.0.

01-05-2010

Still happy. Kinda worried about them going to metered access. I heard that they are testing that in other markets. Still getting full 6.0 almost all the time. sometimes it might sputter for a few hours but it always returns back to full speed.
Also, I updated the monthly cost since i'm paying slightly less than $100 a month for both 6.0 and phone.

3-25-2011

Let's see, now they will be capping and charging for overages soon. And they can't do any better than 6.0.

My days with AT&T are almost over.......

member for 14.2 years, 2381 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dtyree

join:2000-10-07
Valdosta, GA

Good Bye

Hello Mediacom.......

Review by Pesimist See Profile

• Location: Valley,Chambers,AL
Good "Reasonably Fast - Some Drop Outs - Easy to get up and running."
Bad "Customer Service is lost"
Overall "Definitely not broadband speeds, Poor QoS"

·HughesNet Satell..
No second thoughts, glad i dumped ATT. Been with Charter since October 2011, very few problems - a good move!

October 2011: Dropped ATT DSL, QoS just wasn't where it should be - Again.

September 2011: Quality of Service is an issue again, TCP pauses are increasing. Some packet loss & retransmits, speeds appear okay.

Comments:

Review by bigozone1 See Profile

• Location: Corbin,Whitley,KY
Good "glad they were willing to apply discounts to counteract the DSL cost increase"
Bad "sad that it takes 2 billing cycles for the changes to take effect"
Overall "when your only other choices for "broadband" is satellite or a cable system that offers 2Mbs @ $50 monthly the choice is clear"

·AT&T DSL Service
Overall i've been happy with AT&T/BellSouth, especially considering where i live. But the fact that they are doing nothing to upgrade the current copper lines and even trying to get the states to allow them to drop support of those lines that we customers paid our tax dollars and USF monies to support for decades to now see big teleco's lobbyists convince the FCC to allow them to hijack that money for their WIFI pipe dreams just makes me angry. Wireless is already so profitable and now they want us to help foot the bill for their ongoing upgrades with funds that were never meant for that purpose.

The FCC should step in and split the wired and wireless parts of all telecos into standalone entities!

Comments:

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Reliable Speed"
Bad "Price could be lower."
Overall "Good as long as you are within distance."

AT&T Southeast(Bellsouth) has been a very reliable service for both places I have lived. I hope that in the future the price will align with the rest of AT&T and that they will upgrade my service lines where I live so I may receive better service since I am in the 'grey' area for their 6 Meg service.

Update: This was one of the best services back in the day when BellSouth owned it; but has outlived its use in today's world and is old technology. AT&T promises competition, but that is just a smokescreen.

member for 10.6 years, 3701 visits, last login: a few minutes ago