AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by taco_hell See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Nothing, I wonder if AT&T really reads this?"
Bad "tech support and sometimes billing department,caps, caps, caps!"
Overall "The lost son has come again"

i was a bellsouth costumer but after being tired from all of their abuses i changed to directv dsl. Bellsouth has monkeys working in their billing department, they always made mistakes on my account, charged me $200 dollars for installation where i did the installation and nobody knew why that amount of money was in my account. My service always was disconnected at the beginning of the month due to some misunderstanding between bellsouth adsl and bellsouth the phone company. In other words if you suffer from ulcers or hemorroids, don't go with bellsouth, if you do prepare yourself for long waitings and long fightings and all you get is a "we are sorry" but that does not guaranteed that the same mistakes are going to stop. When it wasn't working i called the tech support and as always they don't know what is happening and after all the drill they decides to forward the call to billing information which takes 20 minutes in hold 20 minutes to find out, 10 minutes fighting and oh no manager around.

Thank god that bellsouth doesn't own the only dsl provider in miami and i am happy with the current one.

Update, after DTV went kaput i switched back to BS, now i upgraded it to extreme package and i am kinda happy. Tech support sometimes is a awsome and some other times is a pain in the arse.

But overall i know they are not going to file for bankrupcy...yet

Update: Service is ok, caps baaaaaad. I do not have uverse, i am not crazy to pay $300 bucks out of the bat. Caps are kiling me, i cannot even watch on demand shows.

Moved to a new location and took my money to comcast, 25 megs download and half the price for ucrap, aaaahh and no caps!!! Still waiting if google decides to come to FL, oh and EF you AT&T you wont steal my $20 bucks monthly like before because of your stupid cap, good bye and I hope more people leave you.

Comments:

Review by Pesimist See Profile

• Location: Valley,Chambers,AL
Good "Reasonably Fast - Some Drop Outs - Easy to get up and running."
Bad "Customer Service is lost"
Overall "Definitely not broadband speeds, Poor QoS"

·HughesNet Satell..
No second thoughts, glad i dumped ATT. Been with Charter since October 2011, very few problems - a good move!

October 2011: Dropped ATT DSL, QoS just wasn't where it should be - Again.

September 2011: Quality of Service is an issue again, TCP pauses are increasing. Some packet loss & retransmits, speeds appear okay.

Comments:
mitchmiami

join:2008-02-15
Fort Lauderdale, FL

AT&T

I have had AT&T DSL for over 20 years. I had an Alcatel 1000 with a static IP and was one of the first 200 customers in Miami. I have always upgraded to the top speed, for the last 5 years or so I have had the "ULTRA 6.0" for $47.99 a month. I found out my cable company has 15MPS for $39.99 a month so I called AT$t to cancel.

They then told me I could have 18MPBS uverse for $39.99 a month with the first year at a 35% discount off of that.

How immoral a company that sells a loyal customer the same service, not to mention all my family's personal and my companies cellular and land line service, and not revealing to your clients that you can have TRIPLE THE SPEED FOR LESS MONEY JUST BY ASKING!!

Review by bigozone1 See Profile

• Location: Corbin,Whitley,KY
Good "glad they were willing to apply discounts to counteract the DSL cost increase"
Bad "sad that it takes 2 billing cycles for the changes to take effect"
Overall "when your only other choices for "broadband" is satellite or a cable system that offers 2Mbs @ $50 monthly the choice is clear"

·AT&T DSL Service
Overall i've been happy with AT&T/BellSouth, especially considering where i live. But the fact that they are doing nothing to upgrade the current copper lines and even trying to get the states to allow them to drop support of those lines that we customers paid our tax dollars and USF monies to support for decades to now see big teleco's lobbyists convince the FCC to allow them to hijack that money for their WIFI pipe dreams just makes me angry. Wireless is already so profitable and now they want us to help foot the bill for their ongoing upgrades with funds that were never meant for that purpose.

The FCC should step in and split the wired and wireless parts of all telecos into standalone entities!

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Reliable Speed"
Bad "Price could be lower."
Overall "Good as long as you are within distance."

AT&T Southeast(Bellsouth) has been a very reliable service for both places I have lived. I hope that in the future the price will align with the rest of AT&T and that they will upgrade my service lines where I live so I may receive better service since I am in the 'grey' area for their 6 Meg service.

Update: This was one of the best services back in the day when BellSouth owned it; but has outlived its use in today's world and is old technology. AT&T promises competition, but that is just a smokescreen.

member for 10 years, 3496 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Moropo See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL

·America Online
It was OK for its time.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The price is reasonable for the service"
Bad "They installed the service 8 days after the promised date. Was not notified when it was installed."
Overall "After the installation problems the service has been good."

·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
After having the service two years there has not been a single outage or slow down. It has been rock solid the whole time. The speeds are very consistent at 6.0 down and 500 up which is what I'm paying for. I stream ROKU quite a bit and it works with no problems.

AT&T still has a monopoly attitude. By that I mean their policies and procedures are fixed and inflexible ie it's their way or no way. The sales rep. assured me that my new service would be turned on no later than the day after the order was placed. When that didn't happen I called to find out when it was going to be installed. After being transferred four times I finally talked to someone in the installation department. I was told there was no way my service could be connected with the next 7 days - she didn't seem to care I was promised an install that day and her attitude was "take it or leave it" I very nearly canceled.

When the tech finally showed up I was not notified and didn't even know he had been here until I called again to ask when the service would be turned on and was told "it is on". If I hadn't called I would never have known.

After the installation problems the service has been good. I get just over the speed I pay for (6.0 Mb) on several speed tests. So far the connection has been stable and reliable.

member for 13.9 years, 6957 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sempergoofy See Profile

• Location: Smyrna,Cobb,GA
Good "Uverse TV, 18Mb Internet, and VOIP. Fast and reliable thus far"
Bad "Order system for VOIP transfer of two POTS lines is a disaster"
Overall "Combination of bundled services seems to be a winner."

I migrated from Bellsouth Xtreme 6.0 DSL service to 18Mb Uverse as soon as it was available in my neighborhood. With the exception that the legacy Bellsouth systems could not correctly allow an order to move my home's TWO pots phone numbers to succeed, it has been almost flawless. It took 3 tries until they finally got their act together to be able to move two lines to Uverse in my home.

The internet service aspect has been reliable thus far. TV service, too. Voice was just finished migrating to Uverse today. So far, so good. Really like the VOIP features.

The $55 I indicated above is for just the 18Mb internet portion of my total bill. The TV and voice add (much) more.

Ping times are a bit high, but I don't game so that does not bother me so much.

»www.speedtest.net/result/855139582.png

Update January 3, 2011 - Service has been reliable. I did have to have the residential gateway (RG) swapped out when one of the two RJ-11 ports for my two phone numbers began producing background white noise. Before scheduling a truck roll, the tier 1 rep that I got decided to take it upon himself during his diagnosis to login to my RG and reset it remotely to factory defaults. Really was a pain in my @ss because not only did he not discuss his plan prior to doing the reset, but I lost all of my local customization including long wireless keys, list of allowed MAC addresses, and LAN subnet customization (I do not use 192.168.1.x). It actually took two separate swaps of the RG before that problem was fixed. They carry only refurbished units on their trucks apparently for service calls, and the first refurb was marginal at best. The tech actually called me about it shortly after she left since she was monitoring it from her laptop to assure success. (Kudos to her for doing that.) She returned and we did the replacement again.

I also noticed that after the switch from POTS to VOIP, I began receiving more unsolicited junk calls despite my phone numbers having been on the national no-call list for many years. I resorted to using the new call-block feature of Uverse-voice against the repeat offenders. Of course, that does little good for first time offenders. Not sure why the change to Uverse-voice would be related to such a phenomenon, but I definitely correlate it to the beginning of my use of Uverse-voice.

Update October 4, 2011 - No new information to add. Service has been reliable. Here is a new speedtest result: »www.speedtest.net/result/1517055268.png

Update Feb. 18, 2013 - Service remains reliable for me.

Comments:

Review by mikeyg5 See Profile

• Location: Central City,Muhlenberg,KY
Good "Truly reliable connections that never goes down. Very consistent"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "45 bucks for 6Mb/sec connection not too bad! I would recommend to anyone!"

Fast Access DSL is a great service. I am glad to see that BS dropped the over pricing by 5 bucks and I think that eventually the prices may go down a few more dollars, we will just have to wait and see what the state government does with the regulations on DSL. This is a great DSL provider and I highly recommend them to anyone. I average 2360 on my download speeds up 350 up.

static ip
compaq notebook, AMD 2000+
wireless connection to westell modem via Dlink AP

Comments:

Review by replikant See Profile

• Location: Irmo,Richland,SC
Good "Already installed, so I guess that's good."
Bad "Regular dropped connection, poor equipment, low speed cap, the list goes on"
Overall "Good service for 2002, but hasn't kept up with the times."

When I bought my house in 2004 I installed AT&T DSL, and as soon at the 6Mbps option came out I upgraded to that. The installation was by far the easiest time I've dealt with AT&T. All comments are for Irmo, SC.

My biggest gripes:

1. Service outages - For MONTHS I've had to deal with service outages at regular times. For the entirety of last summer (2012) my service went down between 8pm and 1am give or take an hour. Bad enough if I were just goofing off before bed, but I work from home and my prime time for working is at night.

2. Customer service - OK, I assume that every telecom has terrible customer service, but as many times as I've been stuck in AT&T's voice activated robot hell I think I've earned a complaint or two here. It took me hours, not to mention dozens of points on my blood pressure, to reach someone in the right department. Once I did, they were unable to discover any issues. They did offer to send someone to test my lines, but if no problem was found at the moment the tech was here, I would be charged $100. Not too useful for an intermittent failure. Other than that there was no investigation made on why I've had this problem off and on for a year.

3. Speed - AT&T has either reached the limits of DSL technology or is unwilling to advance them further. Either way, 6M service isn't cutting it, not at the far lower speeds I actually see.

4. Uverse - For all of that, I'd be willing to swap everything over to Uverse. I've heard great things about it. Hell I've heard great things from people two blocks or so down my neighborhood, but it isn't available to me. In fact Uverse hasn't expanded up my neighborhood in the two years I've been monitoring for it.

I know company reps read these reviews, so here's my final words to you: I know you cannot fix these problems from a tech support standpoint, but AT&T as a company needs to take a long hard it's home internet program and decide if it even wants to be in this game. I wouldn't sign my grandparents up for DSL at this point. DSL is dead technology. I'm giving AT&T until June to at least plan to expand Uverse to my end of the road, and after that I am switching to cable. I hate cable, but I'm out of options.

Comments:

Gilitar

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

AT&T is cheap

AT&T wants to cherry pick and spend as little money as possible by only upgrading the areas that are easiest. If I were in your shoes and had the option for cable I wouldn't bother waiting until June.

Review by majerle See Profile

• Location: Forest City,Rutherford,NC
Good "A few rough patches, but ok overall"
Bad "Support at help desk still not very useful."
Overall "My connection is now stable but is no longer better than what the local cable company offers"

I used to have somewhat regular disconnects with my DSL line. After having my phone line completely knocked out during a heavy period of rain BellSouth finally fixed whatever was causing all of my troubles. I have not had a disconnect now for three months. I've also received a new modem after my old one died. I'm now able to order 6.0 speeds but my line wouldn't be able to handle the full speed. I was placed on max sync and the fastest it syncs at is 5024 kbps, so I've decided to stick with 3.0. The help desk is still mostly useless. I called in to try to get my connection set back to fast path and they were clueless as to what I was even talking about. Fortunately I was able to get switched back by someone at the dslreports forums. Overall I'm more pleased with the service than I was at the time of my last review.

UPDATE 1: My connection is still stable and working fine. I've had no need to call in for tech support so I am unable to comment on if the tech support is still as bad as it used to be.

UPDATE 2: I've had over a year of good service now. Still can't comment on how the tech support is these days because I've not had a need to call in.

UPDATE 3: It's been almost two years now and there have been more problems since the last time I updated the review. There have been several occurrences of the service slowing down lasting from a few hours to a few days. Other than that everything seems to work fine.

UPDATE 4: It's been three years now and things are basically back to normal. Only complaint I have now is the new Yahoo! e-mail. When using Windows Live Mail it often times takes a while to connect to the server and verify the username/password.

UPDATE 5: It's been a while since I've updated this review but in that time at&t has instituted data caps of 150GB per month. Now I have to monitor how much I download so I don't go over that limit. So far the most I've used in a month is 99.6 GB. I think the whole idea of caps is ridiculous but I really don't have much of a choice. It's either use the DSL connection with caps and rarely disconnects or switch to the cable company which has frequent connection issues not to mention charges more for the same speeds.

UPDATE 6: Update time again. Since my last update I managed to use 106GB a few months ago. Ever since that time at&t's bandwidth meter no longer works and I didn't get an e-mail notification alerting me that I had used over 100GB as at&t claims they send out once that amount is used. It seems that they are trying to make it as easy as possible for people to accidentally cross over the 150GB limit. I may soon switch to my local cable company as they've finally upgraded their network and now offer speeds faster than even U-Verse can handle, although more expensive. But at least they don't have bandwidth caps as of yet.

Comments:
spadesghost

join:2010-10-13
Beverly Hills, CA

i can relate

i am using at&t's 6 meg dsl service. for two weeks i could not get any useful advice as to what was wrong with my line (swapped from at&t u-verse to home dsl) in the end it turns out that my netgear modem (adsl2+ modem dmlllpsp v2) was supposedly "incompatible" with at&t's service. bs. what they really mean is that they want you to buy their $85.00+ modem and shipping charge, which comes out to around 100.00 or more. well, i bought my modem from best buy for 40.00. and guess what? in the end it was at&t's fault. i followed their sign up and web browser login/user registration to be greeted by fail endless times. Not one service person, or even a tier 3 could help me. Netgears software worked. It even says in the help script itself to NOT login with at&t software, as it will not work. They are right. Netgears software worked, and i payed for a service of inept fools. Sure, im mad. i paid for a service i was without for two weeks.
Then on a whim, i solved it myself. Thanks for nothing At&t.
Let me just reiterate, at&t cannot apparently load youtube videos worth crap, under ANY browser. Of course this could be anyones fault, but damn was comcast better. I miss those days.