AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by Moropo See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL

·America Online
It was OK for its time.

Comments:

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The price is reasonable for the service"
Bad "They installed the service 8 days after the promised date. Was not notified when it was installed."
Overall "After the installation problems the service has been good."

·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
After having the service two years there has not been a single outage or slow down. It has been rock solid the whole time. The speeds are very consistent at 6.0 down and 500 up which is what I'm paying for. I stream ROKU quite a bit and it works with no problems.

AT&T still has a monopoly attitude. By that I mean their policies and procedures are fixed and inflexible ie it's their way or no way. The sales rep. assured me that my new service would be turned on no later than the day after the order was placed. When that didn't happen I called to find out when it was going to be installed. After being transferred four times I finally talked to someone in the installation department. I was told there was no way my service could be connected with the next 7 days - she didn't seem to care I was promised an install that day and her attitude was "take it or leave it" I very nearly canceled.

When the tech finally showed up I was not notified and didn't even know he had been here until I called again to ask when the service would be turned on and was told "it is on". If I hadn't called I would never have known.

After the installation problems the service has been good. I get just over the speed I pay for (6.0 Mb) on several speed tests. So far the connection has been stable and reliable.

Comments:

Review by sempergoofy See Profile

• Location: Smyrna,Cobb,GA
Good "Uverse TV, 18Mb Internet, and VOIP. Fast and reliable thus far"
Bad "Order system for VOIP transfer of two POTS lines is a disaster"
Overall "Combination of bundled services seems to be a winner."

I migrated from Bellsouth Xtreme 6.0 DSL service to 18Mb Uverse as soon as it was available in my neighborhood. With the exception that the legacy Bellsouth systems could not correctly allow an order to move my home's TWO pots phone numbers to succeed, it has been almost flawless. It took 3 tries until they finally got their act together to be able to move two lines to Uverse in my home.

The internet service aspect has been reliable thus far. TV service, too. Voice was just finished migrating to Uverse today. So far, so good. Really like the VOIP features.

The $55 I indicated above is for just the 18Mb internet portion of my total bill. The TV and voice add (much) more.

Ping times are a bit high, but I don't game so that does not bother me so much.

»www.speedtest.net/result/855139582.png

Update January 3, 2011 - Service has been reliable. I did have to have the residential gateway (RG) swapped out when one of the two RJ-11 ports for my two phone numbers began producing background white noise. Before scheduling a truck roll, the tier 1 rep that I got decided to take it upon himself during his diagnosis to login to my RG and reset it remotely to factory defaults. Really was a pain in my @ss because not only did he not discuss his plan prior to doing the reset, but I lost all of my local customization including long wireless keys, list of allowed MAC addresses, and LAN subnet customization (I do not use 192.168.1.x). It actually took two separate swaps of the RG before that problem was fixed. They carry only refurbished units on their trucks apparently for service calls, and the first refurb was marginal at best. The tech actually called me about it shortly after she left since she was monitoring it from her laptop to assure success. (Kudos to her for doing that.) She returned and we did the replacement again.

I also noticed that after the switch from POTS to VOIP, I began receiving more unsolicited junk calls despite my phone numbers having been on the national no-call list for many years. I resorted to using the new call-block feature of Uverse-voice against the repeat offenders. Of course, that does little good for first time offenders. Not sure why the change to Uverse-voice would be related to such a phenomenon, but I definitely correlate it to the beginning of my use of Uverse-voice.

Update October 4, 2011 - No new information to add. Service has been reliable. Here is a new speedtest result: »www.speedtest.net/result/1517055268.png

Update Feb. 18, 2013 - Service remains reliable for me.

Comments:

Review by mikeyg5 See Profile

• Location: Central City,Muhlenberg,KY
Good "Truly reliable connections that never goes down. Very consistent"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "45 bucks for 6Mb/sec connection not too bad! I would recommend to anyone!"

Fast Access DSL is a great service. I am glad to see that BS dropped the over pricing by 5 bucks and I think that eventually the prices may go down a few more dollars, we will just have to wait and see what the state government does with the regulations on DSL. This is a great DSL provider and I highly recommend them to anyone. I average 2360 on my download speeds up 350 up.

static ip
compaq notebook, AMD 2000+
wireless connection to westell modem via Dlink AP

member for 12.5 years, 186 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by replikant See Profile

• Location: Irmo,Richland,SC
Good "Already installed, so I guess that's good."
Bad "Regular dropped connection, poor equipment, low speed cap, the list goes on"
Overall "Good service for 2002, but hasn't kept up with the times."

When I bought my house in 2004 I installed AT&T DSL, and as soon at the 6Mbps option came out I upgraded to that. The installation was by far the easiest time I've dealt with AT&T. All comments are for Irmo, SC.

My biggest gripes:

1. Service outages - For MONTHS I've had to deal with service outages at regular times. For the entirety of last summer (2012) my service went down between 8pm and 1am give or take an hour. Bad enough if I were just goofing off before bed, but I work from home and my prime time for working is at night.

2. Customer service - OK, I assume that every telecom has terrible customer service, but as many times as I've been stuck in AT&T's voice activated robot hell I think I've earned a complaint or two here. It took me hours, not to mention dozens of points on my blood pressure, to reach someone in the right department. Once I did, they were unable to discover any issues. They did offer to send someone to test my lines, but if no problem was found at the moment the tech was here, I would be charged $100. Not too useful for an intermittent failure. Other than that there was no investigation made on why I've had this problem off and on for a year.

3. Speed - AT&T has either reached the limits of DSL technology or is unwilling to advance them further. Either way, 6M service isn't cutting it, not at the far lower speeds I actually see.

4. Uverse - For all of that, I'd be willing to swap everything over to Uverse. I've heard great things about it. Hell I've heard great things from people two blocks or so down my neighborhood, but it isn't available to me. In fact Uverse hasn't expanded up my neighborhood in the two years I've been monitoring for it.

I know company reps read these reviews, so here's my final words to you: I know you cannot fix these problems from a tech support standpoint, but AT&T as a company needs to take a long hard it's home internet program and decide if it even wants to be in this game. I wouldn't sign my grandparents up for DSL at this point. DSL is dead technology. I'm giving AT&T until June to at least plan to expand Uverse to my end of the road, and after that I am switching to cable. I hate cable, but I'm out of options.

Comments:

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

AT&T is cheap

AT&T wants to cherry pick and spend as little money as possible by only upgrading the areas that are easiest. If I were in your shoes and had the option for cable I wouldn't bother waiting until June.

Review by majerle See Profile

• Location: Forest City,Rutherford,NC
Good "A few rough patches, but ok overall"
Bad "Support at help desk still not very useful."
Overall "My connection is now stable but is no longer better than what the local cable company offers"

I used to have somewhat regular disconnects with my DSL line. After having my phone line completely knocked out during a heavy period of rain BellSouth finally fixed whatever was causing all of my troubles. I have not had a disconnect now for three months. I've also received a new modem after my old one died. I'm now able to order 6.0 speeds but my line wouldn't be able to handle the full speed. I was placed on max sync and the fastest it syncs at is 5024 kbps, so I've decided to stick with 3.0. The help desk is still mostly useless. I called in to try to get my connection set back to fast path and they were clueless as to what I was even talking about. Fortunately I was able to get switched back by someone at the dslreports forums. Overall I'm more pleased with the service than I was at the time of my last review.

UPDATE 1: My connection is still stable and working fine. I've had no need to call in for tech support so I am unable to comment on if the tech support is still as bad as it used to be.

UPDATE 2: I've had over a year of good service now. Still can't comment on how the tech support is these days because I've not had a need to call in.

UPDATE 3: It's been almost two years now and there have been more problems since the last time I updated the review. There have been several occurrences of the service slowing down lasting from a few hours to a few days. Other than that everything seems to work fine.

UPDATE 4: It's been three years now and things are basically back to normal. Only complaint I have now is the new Yahoo! e-mail. When using Windows Live Mail it often times takes a while to connect to the server and verify the username/password.

UPDATE 5: It's been a while since I've updated this review but in that time at&t has instituted data caps of 150GB per month. Now I have to monitor how much I download so I don't go over that limit. So far the most I've used in a month is 99.6 GB. I think the whole idea of caps is ridiculous but I really don't have much of a choice. It's either use the DSL connection with caps and rarely disconnects or switch to the cable company which has frequent connection issues not to mention charges more for the same speeds.

UPDATE 6: Update time again. Since my last update I managed to use 106GB a few months ago. Ever since that time at&t's bandwidth meter no longer works and I didn't get an e-mail notification alerting me that I had used over 100GB as at&t claims they send out once that amount is used. It seems that they are trying to make it as easy as possible for people to accidentally cross over the 150GB limit. I may soon switch to my local cable company as they've finally upgraded their network and now offer speeds faster than even U-Verse can handle, although more expensive. But at least they don't have bandwidth caps as of yet.

member for 13.3 years, 4338 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
spadesghost

join:2010-10-13
Beverly Hills, CA

i can relate

i am using at&t's 6 meg dsl service. for two weeks i could not get any useful advice as to what was wrong with my line (swapped from at&t u-verse to home dsl) in the end it turns out that my netgear modem (adsl2+ modem dmlllpsp v2) was supposedly "incompatible" with at&t's service. bs. what they really mean is that they want you to buy their $85.00+ modem and shipping charge, which comes out to around 100.00 or more. well, i bought my modem from best buy for 40.00. and guess what? in the end it was at&t's fault. i followed their sign up and web browser login/user registration to be greeted by fail endless times. Not one service person, or even a tier 3 could help me. Netgears software worked. It even says in the help script itself to NOT login with at&t software, as it will not work. They are right. Netgears software worked, and i payed for a service of inept fools. Sure, im mad. i paid for a service i was without for two weeks.
Then on a whim, i solved it myself. Thanks for nothing At&t.
Let me just reiterate, at&t cannot apparently load youtube videos worth crap, under ANY browser. Of course this could be anyones fault, but damn was comcast better. I miss those days.

Review by oneirodyne See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Nothing except perhaps that you are not legally mandated to do business with them - yet."
Bad "Wretchedly slow, zero customer service, total contempt for their subscribers."
Overall "RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN"

I've had DSL for 10+ years at this location, first with Bellsouth, then through AT&T. With Bellsouth, speeds got faster over time. First I had 1.5Mbps, then 3 then 6 and it was a solid 6Mbps connection, With AT&T. I'm paying for 6Mbps service and now getting 2 or LESS. Speed keeps dropping. They announce caps. They put in new equipment, speed gets even worse??? Must be all the spying they do. Worst company ever.

Comments:

David
I start new work on

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

I'm with you

I have had the same experience with AT&T. My DSL keeps going out due to their old crappy fiber to the curb system that they refuse to replace. I am actually pondering alternative internet service such as satellite. Yeah AT&T sucks!!!
b3chill

join:2013-01-17
·AT&T DSL Service

Another dissatisfied customer

If there were any alternatives to AT&T where I live I would walk away without ever looking back. Yes the tech is old, but that is not the complete problem, tech support that does not listen and tells you that your speed is fine at 0.54 Mbps download when I pay for 6.0 Mbps. Old hardware that if replaced would fix the problem (told to me by the tech that came out to work on our neighborhood gateway) Basically if AT&T TRIED at all to improve their service I could deal with 6.0, as is when I move I will make sure never to use them again. One more customer lost forever, when will they learn...

Review by sbken See Profile

• Location: Etowah,Henderson,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Down time is usually short and relatively infrequent"
Bad "Quality is equal to third-world and not about to get any better!"
Overall "ATT gets steadily worse. Their goal is to grow and increase their bottom line."

Several years ago I agreed to participate in a international ISP project called SamKnows. You can search for that organization using any search engine. They still may be accepting volunteers. SamKnows supplies a Router (mine is a Netgear WNR3500L) free of charge and they continuously monitor my internet connection. BTW: I do NOT have any privacy concerns with this organization. In response to an email from me I received the following email from SamKnows a short while ago that states, in part, the following:

"As for the data, I don't think it entirely reflects a high quality and usable connection. Looking at your packet loss statistics you percentage is frequently over 1% and hit over 0.75% a good amount of the time. This means that 1 in every 100 packets of data you request are not getting to you. you would notice this most in stuttery voip calls and streamed video. In extreme cases you might get websites failing to load.

Your average ping is in the high 90's with an expected ping on an average connection being around 20ms. Your ping has gotten as high as 938ms in some cases. The website load test is a real world test of the effects of these and it shows that you sometimes wait up to 25 seconds for a page to load which is a massive indication of poor usability. You would expect this to be way below 1 second.

It is would be reasonable to approach your ISP with this data in order to demonstrate the problem. Please bear in mind that if this is due to poor external infrastructure there may be a limited amount they can do in the short term."

I should add that ATT/Bellsouth admits my connection speed has been capped because their equipment is overloaded and added that they have no plans to upgrade the equipment in the foreseeable future. My only option for Internet connection is ATT. No other providers are available in my area and I am too remote to get cable service.

Whenever I've experienced connectivity problems they encourage me to buy an replacement DSL Modem/Router from them since my ATT-supplied 2Wire 2701HG-B is over two years old and they recommend replacing Modems over two years old. (?) Besides, they no long support their 2Wire!

Note: My ATT/Bellsouth maximum possible internet speed is: 1536/384 which is never achieved. They openly state that the listed speed is a goal, not a actual promised speed.

Comments:

Review by Ruggero See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Give me a break!"
Bad "It's not that difficult to figure out"
Overall "In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal"

Another case ripped from AT&T. We unfortunately have come to expect this sort of behavior from AT&T. elcuco review documents a pattern, same difference. If you want to read his/hers at »Review of AT&T Southeast by elcuco

Please read this as you should be informed of the treatment AT&T inflicts upon an elderly couple suffering with Congestive heart disease. The documented facts are indisputable:

In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal. It's not that difficult to figure out. The question is will we have the intestinal fortitude to act on behalf of these people or sit by and watch.

Notwithstanding aforesaid reprehensible treatment, the mindset of AT&T and their employees is lackadaisical and dangerous. There was absolutely no reason for trained technicians to not find a Bridge Tap earlier than three months while customer paid for 3.0 Mbps during that time.

AT&T agreement for one year of DSL $14.95 3.0 Mbps

Customer pays for 3.0 Mbps but only gets 1.5 Mbps, and that's after the three months it took the trained technicians to find the Bridge Tap

On or about the ninth month, customer discovers a substantial rate hike of $49 on their bill not specified in the contract. AT&T alleged one calendar year elapsed notwithstanding the three months customer paid for services AT&T failed to rendered.

AT&T failed to reimburse customer the modem purchase price pursuant to contract notwithstanding the customers written and verbal requests and assurances from an AT&T supervisor.

AT&T is dropping the elderly customers speed daily, sometimes multiple times a day. The speed never goes up ONLY DOWN!

What started as speeds of 1.5 Mbps is now ONLY .74 Mbps (point seventy four).

Again, Current speed is under POINT SEVENTY FOUR .74 Mbps and DROPPING

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesn’t go by when there isn’t an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

»AT&T Will Detail the Fate of Its DSL Users Nov. 7
»AT&T Fails to Sell Aging DSL Markets, May Upgrade

Comments:
wirelessdog

Seriously?

I you don't like the service cancel it. Abuse? You've got to be kidding me.
Expand your moderator at work
Ruggero

join:2012-08-10

Re: Seriously?

Avoid looking like a paid patsy, a mouthpiece for AT&T. Many of us have been reading your other replies wirelessdog.

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesnt go by when there isnt an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

Re: Seriously?

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I'm not saying they are not providing bad service - they may well be. What I am saying is, it isn't "abuse" as you put it. Cancel the account and move on to a different provider.

From what I gather with this review you are posting for someone else. Care to clarify?

David
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by wirelessdog:

That's the same questions I have been asking. If you read it, it typically doesn't meet an individual service review. That's the whole point behind the review. I kept thinking it's against DSLR's policy to use reviews for advertizing (cruzio comes to mind) or handbilling of potentially political issues. Now had he talked about individual service that would have been a different story, but so far I see nothing to indicate this was individual service.

As far as speed drops, probably a sync problem. Most people here realize that DSL is sold in speed tiers with a minimum and a maximum speed. Since you have a MODEM the DSLAM and the MODEM will negotiate for the best possible speed based on tones it recieves (think large faster dial-up modem negotiation). Now if those tones do not add up to the full speed, of course you get less. Just like you did when you dialed up expecting 53kbps instead you got 28.8. DSL isn't much different except it does it on a larger scale and you don't have to have a dial tone on your line, and not dialing a number.

For instance, let's take just the profile of "express" for 13 state.

that profile has a minimum of 384/128 sync.
It has a maximum of 1536/384.
Now, in a perfect world, where cabling is perfect and no one was over 1000ft from a Central office or Remote terminal you would get 1536/384.

Fact is people live many different distances from the Central office or Remote terminal. One person might be living with the remote right in their back yard, another person might be living up to 2 miles away from the same remote. I don't expect the guy living 2 miles from the service terminal to get 6mbps at over 11000ft. I would expect him to get 6mbps at 1000ft. There is a large difference between both distances.

Even internal wiring in the house can play a role in distance. I saw one case I had once where the old 4 prong wiring added what I see is 10,000ft of resistance to a line. It was barely hanging on to 384/128 while the rest of the neighbors had 3mbps (some even had 6!) While this might look as discrimination, it's nothing more than wiring in a premise problem. Since 1984, the wiring in a home belongs to the end user/homeowner and never was at&t's responsibility after that. That seems to be forgotten quite often by homeowners. Just recently I heard today that in some newer homes they are not even putting in phone jacks anymore. Today it's just ethernet jacks with ethernet wiring ran to them.

If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Seriously?

We have a wholesale agreement with most carriers to resell service. I don't think I have ever sold an AT&T account but it comes to mind they aren't like Verizon. When you run the prequalification it comes up with a speed range IIRC. That is probably for a reason.

Review by mitchell See Profile

• Location: Darlington,Darlington,SC
Good "I've been on ATT/Bellsouth since 2002"
Bad "email via Yahoo is a joke.."
Overall "Great bang for my buck!!!"

I have been checking Fastaccess.com for over a year to see if I qualified for xDSL. I finally was!. I was so excited until the install date was in November 2002. I had a long face for a few days. BS called one day and said my due date was changed to October 2002, I felt better and started reading BroadbandReports.com.

In August 2002, I saw the DSL installer at my local (>>

So a day or two later I;m ticked and was realyl upset as the IP connection is a major part of my families lifestyle (streaming video, news, netflix, surfing etc) so I saw that Time Warner (wash my mouth with soap) wsa running a triple play promotion, so I asked several coworkers who were already customers and the assured me that the TW has gotten some better over the years but to watch the bills close.

I made the move to TW and I happy so far. I have HDcable, Phone and IP for less than what I was paying for Phone and IP alone plus I was paying almost $80 for Driectv with no locals and no HD...or HD DVR...I am happy and I have no contract...

Bottom line? Thanks ATT you've been good, but when you purchased Bellsouth and ran off the great folks from Bellsouth, you now have become another terrible company to deal with. Bye.

member for 12.3 years, 2750 visits, last login: a few hours ago