AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by oneirodyne See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Nothing except perhaps that you are not legally mandated to do business with them - yet."
Bad "Wretchedly slow, zero customer service, total contempt for their subscribers."
Overall "RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN"

I've had DSL for 10+ years at this location, first with Bellsouth, then through AT&T. With Bellsouth, speeds got faster over time. First I had 1.5Mbps, then 3 then 6 and it was a solid 6Mbps connection, With AT&T. I'm paying for 6Mbps service and now getting 2 or LESS. Speed keeps dropping. They announce caps. They put in new equipment, speed gets even worse??? Must be all the spying they do. Worst company ever.

Comments:

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central

Gilitar

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

I'm with you

I have had the same experience with AT&T. My DSL keeps going out due to their old crappy fiber to the curb system that they refuse to replace. I am actually pondering alternative internet service such as satellite. Yeah AT&T sucks!!!
b3chill

join:2013-01-17
·AT&T DSL Service

Another dissatisfied customer

If there were any alternatives to AT&T where I live I would walk away without ever looking back. Yes the tech is old, but that is not the complete problem, tech support that does not listen and tells you that your speed is fine at 0.54 Mbps download when I pay for 6.0 Mbps. Old hardware that if replaced would fix the problem (told to me by the tech that came out to work on our neighborhood gateway) Basically if AT&T TRIED at all to improve their service I could deal with 6.0, as is when I move I will make sure never to use them again. One more customer lost forever, when will they learn...

Review by sbken See Profile

• Location: Etowah,Henderson,NC
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Down time is usually short and relatively infrequent"
Bad "Quality is equal to third-world and not about to get any better!"
Overall "ATT gets steadily worse. Their goal is to grow and increase their bottom line."

Several years ago I agreed to participate in a international ISP project called SamKnows. You can search for that organization using any search engine. They still may be accepting volunteers. SamKnows supplies a Router (mine is a Netgear WNR3500L) free of charge and they continuously monitor my internet connection. BTW: I do NOT have any privacy concerns with this organization. In response to an email from me I received the following email from SamKnows a short while ago that states, in part, the following:

"As for the data, I don't think it entirely reflects a high quality and usable connection. Looking at your packet loss statistics you percentage is frequently over 1% and hit over 0.75% a good amount of the time. This means that 1 in every 100 packets of data you request are not getting to you. you would notice this most in stuttery voip calls and streamed video. In extreme cases you might get websites failing to load.

Your average ping is in the high 90's with an expected ping on an average connection being around 20ms. Your ping has gotten as high as 938ms in some cases. The website load test is a real world test of the effects of these and it shows that you sometimes wait up to 25 seconds for a page to load which is a massive indication of poor usability. You would expect this to be way below 1 second.

It is would be reasonable to approach your ISP with this data in order to demonstrate the problem. Please bear in mind that if this is due to poor external infrastructure there may be a limited amount they can do in the short term."

I should add that ATT/Bellsouth admits my connection speed has been capped because their equipment is overloaded and added that they have no plans to upgrade the equipment in the foreseeable future. My only option for Internet connection is ATT. No other providers are available in my area and I am too remote to get cable service.

Whenever I've experienced connectivity problems they encourage me to buy an replacement DSL Modem/Router from them since my ATT-supplied 2Wire 2701HG-B is over two years old and they recommend replacing Modems over two years old. (?) Besides, they no long support their 2Wire!

Note: My ATT/Bellsouth maximum possible internet speed is: 1536/384 which is never achieved. They openly state that the listed speed is a goal, not a actual promised speed.

member for 12.1 years, 95 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Ruggero See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Give me a break!"
Bad "It's not that difficult to figure out"
Overall "In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal"

Another case ripped from AT&T. We unfortunately have come to expect this sort of behavior from AT&T. elcuco review documents a pattern, same difference. If you want to read his/hers at »Review of AT&T Southeast by elcuco

Please read this as you should be informed of the treatment AT&T inflicts upon an elderly couple suffering with Congestive heart disease. The documented facts are indisputable:

In any other country, this elder abuse would be illegal. It's not that difficult to figure out. The question is will we have the intestinal fortitude to act on behalf of these people or sit by and watch.

Notwithstanding aforesaid reprehensible treatment, the mindset of AT&T and their employees is lackadaisical and dangerous. There was absolutely no reason for trained technicians to not find a Bridge Tap earlier than three months while customer paid for 3.0 Mbps during that time.

AT&T agreement for one year of DSL $14.95 3.0 Mbps

Customer pays for 3.0 Mbps but only gets 1.5 Mbps, and that's after the three months it took the trained technicians to find the Bridge Tap

On or about the ninth month, customer discovers a substantial rate hike of $49 on their bill not specified in the contract. AT&T alleged one calendar year elapsed notwithstanding the three months customer paid for services AT&T failed to rendered.

AT&T failed to reimburse customer the modem purchase price pursuant to contract notwithstanding the customers written and verbal requests and assurances from an AT&T supervisor.

AT&T is dropping the elderly customers speed daily, sometimes multiple times a day. The speed never goes up ONLY DOWN!

What started as speeds of 1.5 Mbps is now ONLY .74 Mbps (point seventy four).

Again, Current speed is under POINT SEVENTY FOUR .74 Mbps and DROPPING

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesn’t go by when there isn’t an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

»AT&T Will Detail the Fate of Its DSL Users Nov. 7
»AT&T Fails to Sell Aging DSL Markets, May Upgrade

Comments:
wirelessdog

Seriously?

I you don't like the service cancel it. Abuse? You've got to be kidding me.
Expand your moderator at work
Ruggero

join:2012-08-10
·AT&T Southeast

Re: Seriously?

Avoid looking like a paid patsy, a mouthpiece for AT&T. Many of us have been reading your other replies wirelessdog.

Avoid the belief that the public is uneducated. A week doesnt go by when there isnt an article documenting AT&T's over-zealous or too abusive treatment of a large segment of their customers including the elderly. Notwithstanding the prevalence of censorship it appears America is crystal clear. No one is trusted less than politicians and AT&T.

Re: Seriously?

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I'm not saying they are not providing bad service - they may well be. What I am saying is, it isn't "abuse" as you put it. Cancel the account and move on to a different provider.

From what I gather with this review you are posting for someone else. Care to clarify?

David
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by wirelessdog:

That's the same questions I have been asking. If you read it, it typically doesn't meet an individual service review. That's the whole point behind the review. I kept thinking it's against DSLR's policy to use reviews for advertizing (cruzio comes to mind) or handbilling of potentially political issues. Now had he talked about individual service that would have been a different story, but so far I see nothing to indicate this was individual service.

As far as speed drops, probably a sync problem. Most people here realize that DSL is sold in speed tiers with a minimum and a maximum speed. Since you have a MODEM the DSLAM and the MODEM will negotiate for the best possible speed based on tones it recieves (think large faster dial-up modem negotiation). Now if those tones do not add up to the full speed, of course you get less. Just like you did when you dialed up expecting 53kbps instead you got 28.8. DSL isn't much different except it does it on a larger scale and you don't have to have a dial tone on your line, and not dialing a number.

For instance, let's take just the profile of "express" for 13 state.

that profile has a minimum of 384/128 sync.
It has a maximum of 1536/384.
Now, in a perfect world, where cabling is perfect and no one was over 1000ft from a Central office or Remote terminal you would get 1536/384.

Fact is people live many different distances from the Central office or Remote terminal. One person might be living with the remote right in their back yard, another person might be living up to 2 miles away from the same remote. I don't expect the guy living 2 miles from the service terminal to get 6mbps at over 11000ft. I would expect him to get 6mbps at 1000ft. There is a large difference between both distances.

Even internal wiring in the house can play a role in distance. I saw one case I had once where the old 4 prong wiring added what I see is 10,000ft of resistance to a line. It was barely hanging on to 384/128 while the rest of the neighbors had 3mbps (some even had 6!) While this might look as discrimination, it's nothing more than wiring in a premise problem. Since 1984, the wiring in a home belongs to the end user/homeowner and never was at&t's responsibility after that. That seems to be forgotten quite often by homeowners. Just recently I heard today that in some newer homes they are not even putting in phone jacks anymore. Today it's just ethernet jacks with ethernet wiring ran to them.

If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Seriously?

We have a wholesale agreement with most carriers to resell service. I don't think I have ever sold an AT&T account but it comes to mind they aren't like Verizon. When you run the prequalification it comes up with a speed range IIRC. That is probably for a reason.

Review by mitchell See Profile

• Location: Darlington,Darlington,SC
Good "I've been on ATT/Bellsouth since 2002"
Bad "email via Yahoo is a joke.."
Overall "Great bang for my buck!!!"

I have been checking Fastaccess.com for over a year to see if I qualified for xDSL. I finally was!. I was so excited until the install date was in November 2002. I had a long face for a few days. BS called one day and said my due date was changed to October 2002, I felt better and started reading BroadbandReports.com.

In August 2002, I saw the DSL installer at my local (>>

So a day or two later I;m ticked and was realyl upset as the IP connection is a major part of my families lifestyle (streaming video, news, netflix, surfing etc) so I saw that Time Warner (wash my mouth with soap) wsa running a triple play promotion, so I asked several coworkers who were already customers and the assured me that the TW has gotten some better over the years but to watch the bills close.

I made the move to TW and I happy so far. I have HDcable, Phone and IP for less than what I was paying for Phone and IP alone plus I was paying almost $80 for Driectv with no locals and no HD...or HD DVR...I am happy and I have no contract...

Bottom line? Thanks ATT you've been good, but when you purchased Bellsouth and ran off the great folks from Bellsouth, you now have become another terrible company to deal with. Bye.

Comments:

Review by elcuco See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "my phone line is pots, had phone after katrina & wilma hit"
Bad "I pay for 1.5 mbps & never get that download speed, have to keep calling customer service & requesting to check my service."
Overall "they are forcing you to buy uverse service."

none, didnt want comcast, tried aol for a while before dsl came out. had the 3 mbps dsl, then they came out with uverse and they told me i could no longer get the 3 meg dsl, downgraded to 1.5 meg, but have never gotten the speed i pay for.
have the netgear versalink b90.
Easy to pay for service on line.

Comments:
dianasatyr

Baton Rouge, LA

They're forcing us to buy uverse service

That could be why my dsl service from Louisiana AT&T has gradually become rotten over the last year. It's speed measures the specified number of near 6 mb/sec., but the download of web pages is increasingly slow, and NetFlix streams that start out OK or poor often degrade to even worse over time.

I've been testing my dsl connection for latency, packet loss, and (I think) latency jitter with SmokePing, available here. I get some pretty ugly graphs from noon to around 9pm every day.

If anyone out there cares to comment on what SmokePing actually measures, I would be grateful. I've yet to see a clear explanation of SmokePing provided by this site (Or findable with a Google search, even!)

ATThater

@bellsouth.net

Re: They're forcing us to buy uverse service

I am in your same boat, the only difference is that I am in Florida.

Re: They're forcing us to buy uverse service

Thanks. I had no clue what was going on 'til I looked here. I'm switching to cable. I could be wrong though. I could still try complaining to AT&T and they might fix it. Have you tried that?

Review by CplEstesUSMC See Profile

• Location: Winston,Douglas,GA
Good "I ordered 6 meg DSL and I get it 6.5 down 435 K up consistantly."
Bad "Desperatly need more upload BW"
Overall "You get exactly what you pay for here."

I’ve had this service for about a year now. I’ve switched from Comcast and I will never switch back. Comcast didn’t provide bad service, it’s just whenever I needed something, or needed something to change it was like pulling teeth and another $40-$50 service call. Comcast also went down very consistently at 2-3 am. Sounds like a maintenance window but that’s a lot of downtime.

Also worth mentioning, the latency on this connection is MUCH better than on the cable and I’m still trying to figure out why. Cable modems clock in around 30-38 Megs down and almost that speed going up so the only place I can think of for the latency is congestion and maybe even collisions. Oh yeah, and I was ¼ mile down and across the street from the head-end so that was about as good as you can get it.

-UPDATE- March 10 2011

I've conditioned my NID and went from cat5e to CAT6 on my home run, installed a nid filter and now I have a VERY clean line. 0 line code violates of the course of 4 days. Since ATT took over from bellsouth I've been throttled from 6.5 megs to 5.7, I'm sure this is ATT having a different definition of 6 megs than bellsouth. Bellsouth accounted for ATM/PPPoE overhead, and AT&T did not. But then again this is the most reliable internet connection I've ever had. I get 5.7 megs morning, afternoon/and night, and trust me I've looked for dips. Netflix streams HD without 1 single problem. Upload is just as consistent but since I have a fast machine and good router, I completely saturate the upload when uploading HD video to youtube. I truly need more upload BW.

- June 2011

"Upgraded" to U-Verse

member for 9.1 years, 798 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DeltaElite See Profile

• Location: Covington,Newton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast and ussually reliable"
Bad "See review"
Overall "Kiss that freakin dial up GOODBYE!!!!"

Ordered in November 2001,,,up in running a month later due to excessive operator headspace and some ancient station wire....

Connections run 200/1100 consistantly...Using a STHE on a ME 1.4 gig pentium 4. I have few problems connecting,drawing email or downloading.

Tech support is great if your patient and get the right person....If your get unlucky and get a dead fish for a tech,hang up and try again as I've never waited more then a couple of minutes for an answer and never called more then twice in one day.

It's cheaper then a second line and I really apreciated being able to download IE 6 in less the 3 minutes....3 attempts on dialup timed out after 2 hours.

Now, I gotta go to Walmart and get some shotgun shells, its time to do some justice to the V90 modem at LAST!!!

9-26-02 Still trouble free, still get consistant speeds... I am now spoiled and will never be able to go back to dial up again.

5-10-03 Still smokin....Other then 2 self installed problems on the house wiring (And self un-installed after much cussing and fussing ) its still trouble free.

12-11-03 Speed touch Home died. 4 days later truck arrives and tech hands me a new westel. 80 bucks for the dispatch and I'm going again. Speeds are now 220/1235 consistantly . Bye Bye Alcatel!!!

03-04-04 Still consistantly 212/1230...No problems that were not self installed.
Looking forward to 384/3000 service if it ever arrives.

Westel 2200 with a WinME 1.4 gig P4. 520meg RDRAM

7-8-04 Still rock solid....Upgrade to extreme smooth and burp free...I am a happy camper.

12-02-05 Still rock solid.

8-12-07 Float between 3mb and 6 mb service....depends on the budget....Billing is 100% on and the service is still rock solid....Upgrade to Netropia 3347 to put sons laptop in on wireless....never a hiccup.

If they ever tell me I cant have it anymore the shotgun and the computer meet in the backyard.

3-27-09 Death, taxes and 380 up,3000 down....Since 2000 I've had 3 modems, and 2 infected computers.

I'd keep the service and pay the bill even if I wasn't an employee.

Disclaimer....I am a AT+T employee....But still, I have had no troubles that were not user caused in the entire time I've had the service.

10-sometime-2010 No changes.....320 up 3.0 down....Still on 3347.

7/5/2011 in respoce to system message I'll update.

Nothing has changed. As long as the bill is paid the speed is the same and the service consistant.

10/14/2011.....The plot thickens....

Last friday I came home to no sync. Called Support saturday and could not get past the robot because of a large network outage in my area....Sunday....monday am same...Tuesday I call a buddie to find out what the outage was and the dslams I am served by are out because they have no power....ETR wensday PM.
Since repair my 6.0 speeds are more like dialup. Support says "sorry,we dont warranty speeds.

If it didnt mean going to Charter I'd be a gone Pecan.

8/31/12 still here still chuggin along....Wish the'd bring uverse out another 1/2 mile.

Comments:
bigozone

join:2003-04-11
Gray, KY

credit for days of service missed

if you feel it's work the hold time,

call ATT and complain, tell them you were w/o access to the net due to being unable to connect for the full day/days including any partial days... and at least get a credit applied to your bill to insure you only pay for what you had access. they can't force you to pay for times you were unable to connect especially when it was due to their problems!!!

i do it every month that they have an outage that i know about in my area.

bigO

P.S. while they don't warranty speeds they do have an obligation to provide you with service 24-7/365.. so at least make them credit you the $ for days of service missed.

Review by jimmyc65 See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "excellent speeds both up down"
Bad "tech support reads from a script.....not much help; tech has gotten much better"
Overall "excellent service for the price"

·CableOne
I had to pre-qualify for the service back in march, I received an email saying I would have service on May 18th. After several calls to their service center I was finally given a final install date of May 28th. But as with most things they had to back order my modem for 2 weeks. They shipped my modem(an Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem) while we were on vacation in Florida. Thank Goodness UPS held it for me.

When trying to install the software for the modem it became apparent that something was wrong with the install disk. After much cussing and fussing we finally got it to work with the help of someone who had already install theirs and knew about the problems we were having. Installation after that took about 20 minutes after downloading some updated drivers.

The only problems we have had has been with a line problem up the street where some squirrels have chewed into the line, we lose sync everytime it rains and water get in the lines. But after several calls to Bellsouth DSL and the Regular Bellsouth the problem has been solved.

So if you live where you can get service get it, it is well worth the money. We average between 1185/241 and 1204/256 at all times.

Tech Support needs to be trained a LOT better and not just read from a script and give the run around.

UPDATE.....

We have had DSL service now for 6 weeks and after a few problems with the tree rats we have not had a single outage until 2 weeks ago when lightening struck the CO and knocked out our card.The service was down for 2 days (sat/sun) but back up and running by 7:15 am on Monday. So far so good!!!!!! Everything has been working as promised and of course tech support still doesn't have a clue. Some may know a little more than others but not much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So once again I will say if you live in the Brookhaven area and are looking for a high speed connection check out Bellsouth DSL. Oh yeah by the way the local cable co. is offering 560/128 for about $10.00 more a month.

UPDATE 02/06/02

Well it has been 8 months since we had Bellsouth DSL installed and so far GREAT the UL/DL speeds have been constant and steady around 1.2-1.3/220. For this area these are great speeds considering that the local cable co. is offering about half that for about $10.00 more a month. I would recommend this service to anyone. Even Tech Support has improved since my last review in July. I must really commend Bellsouth for their commitment to improving TS. Hopefully Bellsouth will continue to offer this great service and not go the way of some providers who start out great and then end up sucking. Read some of the reviews posted here and then be grateful of the service we have with BS.

UPDATE 8/26/02

Well after over a year of service I still say BellSouth DSL is still excellent for the money. I have had no outages other than those that are scheduled ie,, email server work. Absolutely no drops in service for over 6 months even in bad weather. Tech support seems to have gotten better since June of last year. I now use the connection manager( the new version) and love it. CM is a great tool for letting you know about outages such as email and new groups. Also I like the ability to be able to talk to Tech Support without having to call them.

Now if they would only drop the extra $10.00 for their networking package. I would like to network a laptop but will have to buy a new modem, so that is out of the question for now. But overall excellent service!! Kepp it Up!

Update 05/04/03

Well after almost 2 years of FastAccess I will say that they ROCK...... In the last year I have not had any down time other than sch. server maint. Speeds have held steady and never decreased even when I set up my home network. If anyone has a chance to get the service jump on it....

Update 09/19/03

Still Very Impressed with the service!! They seem to be getting better with Tech-Support also. And we had a "Decrease" in our monthly charge for DSL. Since we are complete choice customers our monthly charge dropped to around $40.00 a month.

UPDATE 01/17/04

I recently had a problem with my Westell Wirespeed modem loosing sync. called BS and told them about the problem and was basiclly told it was a problem with my computer and not the modem. BS had recently done a firmware upgrade to the moden via remote access. I didn't have a single problem with loosing sync till that point and told the tech that, but again the answer was it was my computer and not the modem. Hummmm seeing as I was going nowhere with the tech told him thank you and hung up. Called right back and got another tech who actually ran a line test and said the footprint looked ok... ok the connection was fine at that point. Again I was told that it was my computer and not the modem,again told the tech guy about not having any problems before the fireware upgrade was told this time that the upgrade would not have anything to do with the modem disconnecting???? WTF???? Ok hang up with this guy...

Think about it for a few minutes and call back and ask to speak to a supervisor and I will not talk to anybody else but a supervisor. I finally get one on the line and explain my problem.. and tell him before he has a chance to say anything else that BSFA is no longer my only option for broadband we now have cable highspeed here. But before I switch I will be calling every hour on the hour for the next month about my modem and if I think about it between the hours I will call every 30 minutes and complain about the problem.... he ask me to open the modem interface and enable remote access.. I do so and he tells me that he is going to reflash the modem with another firmware upgrade. So he reflashes and the modem resets itself and I haven't had another problem. So it was the modem after all..... gee whiz guys come on... So after this adventure with tech support I feel that I needed to update my review and unfortunatley drop my rating for theirt tech support..... Sorry guys MAYBE you will do better if I should have to call ya again.......

UPDATE 04/17/04

Upgraded to DSL Extreme this week and the upgrade took all of 2 days. I am extremely satisfied with the upgrade. Came with static IP and cost me all of $5.00 for the upgrade... If ya can get the service GET IT!!! As far as I am concerned there is no better ISP out there.. Also had to upgrade Tech Support score now, I have has some dealings with them lately and they really came through..

UPDATE 10/31/04

Well Six months into the new Extreme package and not one complaint. I've had no downtime or outages in the 6 months since the upgrade. I'm using the 2wire home networking modem/router.. No problems with it at all and love the way it can be configured to allow/disallow computers on my network to access the net..

UPDATE 3/28/05

OK guys and gals I just thought I would update on BSFA after what happened last Firday and Saturday. On Friday the 25th after getting home from my parents house I noticed something strange on my desk, It was the Broadband Link light flashing on my 2Wire modem/gateway. Hummmm that can't be good, but after almost a year with the 2Wire and no service drops I figured it maybe time. I left it alone for a while thinking it would re-sync but no such luck,GRRRRR... I went through the usual stuff to reboot and check all connections and such but still no sync...

Oh well I thought go ahead and bite the bullet and call tech support, oh yeah I forgot that I ran the help center program that comes with the service and it gernerated a trouble code to give to tech support when I called them. Called tech support told them what the problem was and gave them the trouble code and the tech gal said it was "excessive line noise" but she wanted to run a test from her end and she would call me back in 7 to 10 minutes. OK I said go for it... Well she did call back in just a few minutes and said there was a lot of noise on my line and that she had put a trouble ticket in and someone would be here on the 26th between 1 and 3 pm.

BellSouth guy showed at 1:05 and checked the box on the house and said there was a lot of nosie and he would have to check some things out and be right back. He checked the box on the main line where my service ties in at and found one of the cable's to be almost corroded in half and said that was the problem. He replaced about 10ft of cable and made sure I synced back up and the noise was gone from the line before he left.

My current leve for tech support is at 4 and not 5 I'll leave it that way till my next update and if at that time they are still doing their jobs I may increase my rating then. I would recommend this service to anyone who can get it,,, Rock solid for the last couple of years....

UPDATE 03/25/06

Hummmm....... I didn't realize it had been so long since I had update my review of my BSFA. Serivice has still rock solid except of course when Katrina ripped through here last year. We were without lights and phones for a week. The service was a little spotty for a few weeks following Katrina but that is to be expected considering all the damage that was done to phone and electrical lines during the storm. We had lights and phone and DSL service on Sunday following the storm, not bad considering all those that didn't. After the initial service was restored and the occaisional drops were straightened out the service has been rock soild. I've only had one occasion to have to call tech support since the storm and it went rather smooth. Price has actually dropped on the 3 meg serivce which is always good.

Overall I still love the service and would recommend it to anyone in the BellSouth serivce area. My only concern is that if the BellSouth/AT&T merger/buyout goes through is that AT&T not come in and screw things up.....

12/03/2006

OK got the nag to update my review and thought I'd go ahead and do it so I don't see the nag again....LOL.....

Actually not much to say this time, service has been ROCK SOLID since my last review, not one outage or service drop. Speeds remain solid and did I mention that there were no outages!!

06/04/07

OK got a reminder this morning to update my review of my BellSouth or rather AT&T dsl account. Speeds have remained constant and rock solid. The only complaint I have is that I have been switched over to interleaved from fast path. I had to drop the customer support rating one because I still hate talking to someone in India who says their there name is Bob or Frank.... Come on guys get real.

01/05/08

Well finally ditched the bellsouth/att service. Went with CableOne for internet and phone service. I finally got tired of bellsouth's prices and other things. I am more than pleased with CableOne and would recommend them to anyone who can get it.

member for 12.8 years, 2207 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by jbates99 See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN

AT&T DSL connection:

My download speed is decent at 2893. Upload is 309

But my email connection drops many times per day. I get the Outlook popup
that has my login info.

Comments:
green736

join:2004-11-03
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Getting the speed you pay for and checking your line quality

Enter 192.168.1.254/ in your browser; go to that address (home page inside your ATT modem; click on 'Advanced' in the column on the left; click on 'Statistics'. The modem will then display:

The maximum speed cap for your line [the better your line quality (how noise free it is) the higher the max possible speed]

The noise margin [bigger numbers are better]

plus a bunch of stuff that is more difficult to understand.

My current maximum speed caps are 7040 Kbps down, 512 Kbps up and my current noise margins are 15.0 dB down and 26.0 up.

I took a LOT of complaining to go from the previous service quality I got ( maximum speed cap down 3042 Kbps, 384 Kbps up; noise margins of 7.0 dB down and 9.0 dB up) and very frequent connection drops.

I have an "up to 6 Mbps" account (6000 Kbps). I was getting only about 3000 Kbps down until I complained and called and used 'instant chat' and insisted on escalation of my complaints over a 10 week period. Turns out the wire pair to me was bad, moisture related. Nothing brought an adequate response from ATT until I wrote a scathing response in a customer satisfaction inquiry. THE VERY NEXT DAY I got a call from ATT and the day after that my speed went up to over 5000 Kbps. Two days later a technician came out, but of course by the the problem seemed solved. Four days after that the speed dropped again to about 3000 Kbps. Used 'instant chat' again. THE VERY NEXT DAY a technician came out and had my service switched from one pair to anouther. Now I get 5.4 Mbps. There was no excuse for the slow 3000 Kbps ... I am so close to a the telco central office (CO) that I am directly connected (CODSLAM). The original wire pair was faulty.

So, if you are paying for 6 Mbps, complain until you get it or know the reason why not.

That was helpful

I did as you suggested. The signal-to-noise numbers were not expressed as you describe (I have a rather old modem.), but at least I now have numbers to report to the AT&T help desk.

Review by TheAfu See Profile

• Location: Panama City,Bay,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Better tech support than comcast or other companies I've had to deal with dsl"
Bad "Not much bang for buck and it's a hassle to get techs out to fix problems"
Overall "Does the job when it works couldn't ask for more."

Unless you totally need AT&T I would not get them especially with better providers who are just as cheap offer more speed and consistency. Been using this service for a years because I'm with roommate who prefers it. 4 years straight I cannot recall more than a day or two where I'm able to be on with lag.

No streaming sites work with various refreshes
Gaming and voice service don't work due to profile lag from the dsl setup
Don't bother with big downloads because I get timeout or disconnect errors.

Avoid AT&T at all cost if you're in this area they are of no real help and just want to charge money for tech services or hardware that isn't really broke while their infrastructure remains garbage.