AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by BoteMan See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "coordinated order fulfillment means rapid turn-up"
Bad "DSL physical connection unreliable until downgraded to Lite"
Overall "pretty solid since downgrading to Lite, but outages persist"

ORIGINALLY, I got: BellSouth DSL Extreme (top of the line offering), advertised at 3Mbps Downstream/384Kbps Upstream, PPPoE for $55/month with discounts applied depending on what BellSouth Telephone service plans you have. They sent me a Westell B90-610030 DSL modem. They also provide 8 E-mail Accounts, 25MB of E-mail Storage, 10MB of Personal Web Space, 1 Backup Dial Account. Static IP is free, but must specifically be ordered to get it. I don't use any of their e-mail or personal web space because it's such a mess to deal with. I only want their connectivity.

After moving to Oakland Park about 2 miles west of the c.o. I ordered BellSouth Fastaccess DSL at my new housemate's apartment on his BellSouth phone line. The online ordering process is fairly painless since I already knew what they offered and what I wanted. I installed everything myself and it went smoothly, having done it several times before for others.

For the few days we had use of it, I had no complaints until the DSL was disconnected because of a boneheaded interfering service order mixup that disconnected the phone line carrying the DSL. While fixing that problem, the telephone company rep. placed an order for "new" DSL service to replace the disconnected DSL, so we had to start all over again and only had a few days of use to characterize the original DSL installation anyway. This effectively moved the DSL service to a different copper pair.

Surprisingly, the second DSL turn-up really was completed either Thanksgiving eve or Thanksgiving Day as promised, so it must have been automated since everything else was already in place. Still, service on a holiday aint bad.

Now the new, new DSL service is OK when it works, but I have been observing frequent DSL sync losses. It got so bad this afternoon between 14:00 and 15:00 that I gave up making manual log notes about it because the outages were occurring about every 2-3 MINUTES and lasting about 1 minute, long enough for the modem to resync with the DSLAM. I find this totally unacceptable and intend to open a trouble ticket with them tomorrow. By the way, the total cable distance between my N.I.D. and the DSL modem is about 6 feet, so unless some unknown device on the house pair is interfering with the signal, I would conclude that the problem lies elsewhere.

***********

UPDATE 2005.05.09
Since the weather gods threw the switch and we are now officially in the rainy season here in Florida, the Extreme DSL became flaky as soon as the first drops fell from the sky, like clockwork. A buddy's brother installs BellSouth DSL and he kindly ran some tests for me to cut through the b.s. and declared my DSL line "perfect".

After wading through the usual tech support Q&A script and "managing" that process, they dispatched a BellSouth line tech who tested at the nearest point to us and informed that we needed to downgrade from Extreme to Ultra. We were too far from the c.o. to support Extreme. NOW they tell me! We are 16K+ cable feet from the c.o. I found from my buddy's tests.

It has only been a few days, but so far it has been solid. BUT no rainstorms in that period. The jury is still out, but I am looking for reliability more than raw speed. A DSL link that is down runs at 0 bps which does me no good.

Stay tuned.

*************************
UPDATE: 2005.06.23

Every time it gets damp or wet, the DSL line starts actin up again. This is on the downgraded Ultra service. With the amount of rain we have been getting lately it's gonna be a long Summer. I tell ya, you can't get the Tephone Cumpny to do dern thing for ya any more.

**************************
UPDATE: 2006.06.20

Once again, now that rainy season has arrived, the outages are frequent, mostly during the day when thunderstorms visit just about any part of Broward County. This seems to be a common problem with copper facilities. No fiber in my future, unfortunately.

At least they had the decency to lower the price to $35 as part of their regrading of the service, so I feel less ripped-off.

**************************
UPDATE: 2006.08.24

As difficult as it is to break through the barriers at Fastaccess technical support, it was that easy to talk to someone in the order/account office to ask that they switch the DSL back over to the other pair that comes into this apartment. I figured after the numerous problems with my housemate's pair, that copper is just too crappy to fight it any longer.

They switched it (after a check discovered that the original order last week vanished) and it is now on my pair instead of my housemate's line. I was all set to proclaim how great it is when the connection fell down for about a minute, as usual.

I see a line of storms up and down the coast of Broward County so either this outage was induced by nearby lightning strikes (which they can't do much about with copper antennas running all over creation) or possibly rain water is getting into the cable or box along the way back to the c.o.

The S/N reports a little better than it did on the other pair, now 12-13dB. We shall see how reliable the circuit is after I have some time to evaluate it; I have only been using it for about an hour now on the other pair.

I wish BellSouth were as vigorous about deploying fiber as Verizon.

**************************
UPDATE: 2007.08.12

I don't know what they did, but the DSL link has been much more solid for the last several months. Perhaps they finally replaced a bad line card or other component that affects multiple customers. It still loses sync for about 60 seconds during bad lightning storms, but it holds in there during conditions when I have come to expect it to lose sync previously.

**************************
UPDATE: 2011.06.13

For the last several weeks AT&T seems to be changing internal routes every few days. On rare occasions I can't reach any major sites like Google, Yahoo, or even dslreports for minutes at a time. I don't understand why my next hop router/DSLAM keeps changing, that would seem to be a fixed quantity.

**************************
UPDATE: 2012.06.27

OK, I'm done with AT&T DSL, UVerse, whatever they call their name now! The link itself is getting a little more flaky, particularly now that we are back in thunderstorm season here in southeast Florida. The latency through their internal network is getting worse.

We just got Comcast 25MB down at work and I'm spoiled enough to find this DSL link to be unusable. So now I am focusing my attention on whether to get commercial or residential Comcast here at my apartment. I've had it with this DSL though. Enough is enough.

Comments:

Review by butchie See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "speed is reliable and stats are as provided by ATT"
Overall "no conplaints here.."

·Cox HSI
No longer with att..........Moved to AZ......

member for 13.3 years, 4460 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jfinch1 See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "37.50 for 1meg k/bits, I guess that's a plus?"
Bad "Not the fastest broadband, Bellsouth support was head over heals better than AT&T. AT&T support is the worst I've experienced"
Overall "I think AT&T wants out of the internet business, support is almost non-existant."

UPDATE April 15, 2012. The line tech showed up at my house today, turns out a rodent had ate one of the 2 wires into in the junction box, that feeds my house. Service has been restored. The line-tech also informed me that the fellow AT&T sent on Friday was an indoor tech, which was a waste of time, since I had informed them I had tested the line at the NID. Anyway, 8 days after contacting them, I have DSL.

Update April 14, 2012 Got my daily Robo-call at 5 informing me they didn't fix the problem and that I have a new appointment for Monday at 8am.

UPDATE April 13, 2012. Alrighty. The tech came out today, checked the line at the NID and informed me that I wasn't getting a DSL signal, and he's turning it in to a higher-up. What he found isn't really true, my modem syncs up at a slow 223K/bits, if you wait 15mins or so for it to do it. At 5:45, I got a robo-call from AT&T telling me they were sorry they missed my appointment, but they would have things fixed between 8-5 on Saturday. We'll see.

UPDATE: April 12, 2012: Well that's interesting, it was 2 years ago almost to the day since my last ordeal with AT&T DSL. Last Thursday, a week ago, my Westel 6100 modem lost sync at 5:30pm and was down most of the evening. Normally it syncs around 1200k/bits Well, when it came back up on Friday my download was syncing at 223k/bits and my upload was 384k/bits. I called AT&T Saturday, explained to them I don't have phone service, and that the DSL line into the house was a straight run from the NID (cat 6) and that I have 2 different westel modems and they were both running slow. The foreign lady said they would have someone out Thursday, a whole week after the trouble had started. Thursday rolled around, I took the afternoon off for my 1-6pm appointment. Around 4pm I got to wondering where the tech was, and called to see if he was coming. I was informed he had already been out, and there was no problem with my line. I was not happy. I went ahead and ran a cord out the window to my NID (which still had spiderwebs around it, proving no one had been out), and sure enough, my sync speed was still crawling at 223k/bits. I called AT&T back to let them know my problems were NOT resolved. Chloe informed me that Tyrone would have a line truck to my house before 6pm and that they would call to verify that the tech had been by. No Truck, No Call. I wasted 4 hours of leave from work and missed a dinner date and still had crawling DSL. I called back at 8pm, got an American named Joey who said he would send a truck Friday between 1-6pm and that they would call at 5:30 to verify my DSL was working. I let him know I couldn't be off work again, but since the problem was outside of the house, I would be looking for their phone call.

I am so over AT&T, they have totally ruined the former Bellsouth.

UPDATE: April 12, 2010: As you can see below, I dropped my phone service on March 19th but kept my DSL Ultra service. I got the bill today. It was $72 instead of the expected ~$38. Nicole from AT&T Internet explained to me that since I made a change in my service, they changed my billing period. In the past, I was billed for the month I had just been through, but NOW since I dropped my phone I am being billed for the month in advance. SO, they charged me for 2 months of DSL in this bill. Good ol AT&T, they'll get ya one way or the other.

----

I've been on DSL ultra for over 10 years, with speeds from 880k download to finally 1.2 meg download. Yesterday I called to finally turn off my AT&T phone service, because my monthly bill for phone and DSL had climbed to $82 a month and I already had a cellphone.

My Connection has been pretty stable on the whole for many years, except for last year, the speed would drastically drop on either really hot days or when there was a home football game. Either way, it would be in the around 150k. The last time a tech was out here (about a year ago) he told me to never bother with trying to get a 3meg connection, because of my distance from the CO. Well, while having my phone turned off yesterday, I let Debra talk me into trying the 3meg service. It didn't work. My modem (Westell 6100) couldn't keep a connection. This morning the field tech came out and checked the wiring and told me what I tried to tell Debra, my home is too far from the CO, we have to drop you back to 1.5meg service. Anyway, I'm up and running again, but I have to wait to business hours to call billing and get them to fix my bill. (see update)

Over all, AT&T is very friendly and fast to try to correct service problems, but the online help isn't near as good as their field techs.

Comments:

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

if you still have problems

Hit us up.

Review by youngerberry See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "Great when it is dry."
Bad "Rain or thunderstorms slow me down to a crawl. No one can fix it."
Overall "Good service, just a few glitches."

Well, it's been a good ride with very few problems. Since I had some tree damage to the drop I now have slowdowns during rain, but not always.

Still have crawling speed when thunderstorms are around.

Update. Finally got a home run installed and fixed the slowdown during wet weather. Back to a happy camper.
Still going strong. Service slow at night for a week or so but fixed now. Still a h
appy camper.

Still good service. 04/13/2012.

member for 12.6 years, 7958 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ncbill See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Cheap, cheap, cheap"
Bad "Only 768"
Overall "Get it if you can, if only for backup"

I had 6 meg cable broadband that cost me $45/month and never used the bandwidth!

I ordered AT&T's 768 "DSL Lite w/ term agreement" the day it became available.
(term agreement is 12 months, with a $50 early termination fee)

The $75 DSL modem/router & install kit came 3 days later.

I used the DSL splitter in the self-install kit to separate voice and DSL lines outside at the customer interface, so I don't need to use DSL filters on the phones inside.

I get about 650 down and 100 up.

I plan on keeping this as long as it remains $10/month, which is at least through 12/31/2009.

UPDATE:

Price raised to $20 in early 2010 - still only 768KB.

Will probably dump this for cable ($30/month for 6 months) or Clear WiMax ($40/month).

UPDATE:

Still using as of summer 2011.

1.5 down for $15/month.

Rock solid reliable, but slow (looks like no one locally can get more than 1.5 down, probably because of U-Verse coming)

UPDATE:

Still using as of spring 2012.

They still offer it for $15/month (up to 3MBps down)

My line still only provisions for 1.5, but I'll keep it forever as long as I can get this price (it now looks like U-Verse will NEVER come to this area)

Comments:

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "I Receive 90% of My Purchased Speeds"
Bad "Still Pricey, Poor Value for Price. TERRIBLE SERVICE!"
Overall "It's OK...For Now..."

·DIRECTV
1/2012: Gone to U-verse...I know, I know, it's oranges for oranges, but if the speeds are faster and they have a good promotional offer, what is there to lose? I better be careful, because I am talking about AT&T...

11/2011: MAJOR outage in the southeast today, and after 6 hours, I called tech support. I spoke with a rep, whose native language wasn't American English, who repeated everything I said back to me. Try having any conversation this way, much less tech support questions. They just zeroed out their service rating as of today, and may even accomplish what I thought was the impossible...chasing me back to Comcrap!

8/2011: After 8 months streaming Netflix and using VOIP, my wireless gateway failed (wireless only). AT&T replaced at no charge, but only with a disconnect threat. A Motorola Surfboard with Comcast will look pretty good after the promotional price has ended.

12/2010: Dry line DSL up and running, self-installed, cancelled service call, and home phone number ported to Vonage cutting my total bill in half. Netflix is streaming HD ok, but I will always be on the scope for a new service offer...my relationship with AT&T is hanging by a thread.

11/2010: I called back at opening time, 7 am on the dot, got right through. The rep apologized, said she was unable to login to her computer (why did she answer, then...maybe she should get to work a little earlier). She promised to call me back, but I wouldn't be fooled, and I have call waiting, so I dialed right back, and waited another few hours. That's it, I called back to DSL to disconnect my service, and got right through...who knew! I requested a dry line DSL connection, accepted a save offer to keep me from cable, and will cancel my home phone once the order is processed...no more AT&T home phone, I've HAD IT!

11/2010: I called customer service twice today. After waiting on hold for 2 hours and 45 minutes the first call, I began to think to myself "surely my call was lost somewhere, they can't be this busy", so I hung up and called back. I fell asleep 1 hour and 30 minutes into the second call (thank goodness for speakerphone!). This level of service, regardless of the reason, is completely UNACCEPTABLE.

3/2007: No noticeable downtime, constant speeds, no complaints other that value vs. cable internet. I recently upgraded my modem, noticed a noise profile, requested removal, and was taken care of right away. My ping is about half of what it was before, no transmission loss, and slightly faster speeds. Can't complain.

Comments:

Review by Sarentack See Profile

• Location: Lumberton,Lamar,MS
Good "AT&T DSL services have decent speeds and reliability"
Bad "Speeds do not go high enough."
Overall "Probably one of the top 5 ISPs out there."

·CableOne
I had the DSL Extreme 6 from AT&T and it was highly reliable where it never went down, it was a solid connection around the clock, quick speeds that rarely ever fluctuated any, Ive had many services and believe AT&T DSL service ranks as top 5 if not top 3 ISPs out there with the top ISPs being some of the local cable ISPs out there that can offer way more for the same price.

What I hated is AT&T seems to not improve on speeds by going any higher than 6 MBPS. The upload speed for me was 512 KBPS which was too low IMO.

One of the the biggest downsides to establishing service with AT&T though that made me steer clear of ordering service from them a 2nd time was the $100 prepayment thats non refundable in order to get $20 internet service from them, I was desperate but not desperate enough just to pay them $100 because I have no credit history. I think its stupid and causes them to lose many customers by doing this.

member for 6.1 years, 143 visits, last login: 1 year ago

• Location: Lugoff,Kershaw,SC
Good "Local Tech"
Bad "DSL Tech Support is too far removed from the issues of last mile copper."
Overall "If your time is worth more than vague promos, go w/o AT&T."

*Pre Sales information*: misleading
*Install Co-ordination*: varies
*Connection reliability*: if it had only been reliable..
*Tech Support*: POTS and DSL go hand in hand but unfortunately neither
take ownership
*Services*: If you can convince the Help Desk to dispatched; your
friendly neighborhood ATT tech is of good cheer but after going half way
round the world...you're miserable.
*Value for money*: Since promo's and gimmicks are the rule for
attracting new business, one can not place a value based on money, since
my time is valuable, and since ATT does not value my time, there is no
value to ATT

I have in my possession 3 old DSL modems. Two Westell 6100 cicra 2005
and One Westell circa 2002.
I had upgrades along the course of my 10 years of service w/ a basic
phone line.
I had a grandfathered static IP 65.x.x.x
I had to fight to keep it for free.
I had to work w/ retention dept. so much I felt as if I knew them by name.
I had to be the one that cried foul that "line taps
" kept
Uverse/and DLS Extreme 6.0 unavailable to my location.
I had to have one last try to give ATT a chance to make it STICK (it
being get it right and keep it right)
They failed so often but when the sync rate falls to that of a 3 meg
package after 4 months of seeing almost 6 megs, and the one last call to
Helpless Desk. It was evident that I have too much time on my hands to
work for ATT any longer.

Goodbye.

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:
tazmo8448

join:2011-11-29
Columbia, SC

DSL in Lugoff

I am down US 1 west of you and also can not get U-verse and was wondering what AT&T service you had or have and what the mbps was, promised and actual. I see where you do not recommend it and would like to know if it is because of crappy customer service? or the actual speed of the internet falling down? I plan to use it if I can stream movies and do a little gaming on line.......whatta you think?
Sam~

Lugoff

@truvista.net

Re: DSL in Lugoff

Hello Sam,
I dont want to spend much time recapping my life w/ ATT. I moved away from the aggravation of doing their dirty work. Moved Cell to Straightalk, ported home phone and internet to cable.

Started w/ Bellsouth 1.5 and upgraded to 3.0 w/ static IP back in 2004.
ATT takes over and manages to half azz deploy U-verse to last mile copper in 09/10, yet this deployment had adverse effects on existing DSL customers camping on golden "out of contract" services.
In order to keep what services you had become accustomed to one had to call/wait on hold/speak Indglish/recant problem/get transferred/recant story/be disconnected *ironically* by THE phone company/call/ wait on hold/ speak Indglish/ recant problem/get transferred/ recant story/ get a ticket/ wait/ get a CS survey by email/ call/ wait on hold /speak Indglish/ reference ticket #/ wail on hold/ get transferred to USA/ speak normal/get updated ticket w/ ETA/ wait for line crew/ be at home/ watch line crew run off to DSLAM to take the alligator clips off one's pair to resolve one's issue.

Go ask you neighbor what he/she has. Then go ask the other neighbor what they have. If your West down Hwy 1 good chance infrastructure is upgrading twd. Elgin/NE Cola
Regards to your upcoming challenges.

Review by tferguson01 See Profile

• Location: Newnan,Coweta,GA
Good "Connection is ROCK SOLID!!!"
Bad "Takes a long time to get provisioned. Connection speeds outdated."
Overall "With no caps and a rock solid connection that is always on unlike cable it a good purchase."

With a great SUPER ROCK SOLID 3.0 connection it makes a great back up internet when Charter which is my primary internet provider goes down its great. Very responsive and I can always guarantee that is will always be there when i need it.

Was rock solid but hey its at&t they thing 3.0mbps connection is worth 42.95. Screw that.

Comments:

Review by Shootist See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast 1245D 218-238U"
Bad "Not enough info in setup package, on web page"
Overall "Good"

I NO Longer have ATT DSL. I no longer have anything from ATT.

I dropped my home service when they raised the price and tried to charge me $5 a month for Long Distance "Access", YES ACCESS. I twice had to call to get that charge removed and to ask that it never show on my bill again, I HAVE A CELL PHONE AND NEVER EVER MAKE LONG DISTANCE CALLS ON MY HOME LINE.

On the third month that charge showed up, after calling twice to get it removed FOREVER, I called again and CANCELED my home phone but kept my internet service.

Shortly after that I switch Cell providers to Virgin Mobile and couldn't be happier.

Then I got fed up with there SLOW DSL and switched to Comcast. Not that I like Comcast that much either but at least now I have good internet speeds both Down and Up.

ATT SUCKS AND IS GETTING WORSE.

BYE BYE.

I got DSL from BS about 2.5 month ago. I ordered it on as sunday over the net. They state that if you want to use a network you have to pay an extra $10.00 a month!! I have a small network, 2 PC's sitting on the same desk, 1 notebook, that is my main PC and to go back and forth to work and traveling, and a old, just upgraded to a P3 600, desktop. The thought of paying 10 buck more a month didn't set well so I decided to use a router at my own expence. I recieved the package on wednesday of the same week. plugged it in as was up and running. I did have problems setting up my network, but this was do to my ignorance. This is where they need better info on setting up a network and the package never mentioned that YOU DON'T have to use the supplied software. Now for the bad point. I had the service for about a week and a half and on sunday I had crackling on my phone, it was raining out so I though wait until tomorrow and if it doesn't stop to call BS. When I got home from work on monday I had no dial tone so I called BS and they said they would have someone out the next day and have it fixed by 6 PM. My landlord called me at work to tell me they were there. Not only did they not fix my problem they never checked my line. they ran a new line in for my landlord and wired my phone line in with a nieghbor 2 houses down the street and no DSL. I call BS FA and they told me to call the phone company, hey I pay for both PS and FA to BS they are the phone conpany. After many calls and bitching they had someone out the next morning to fix the problem they created then tried to charge me $90 to fix it.

Well all in all so far so good, It's a lot better than dialup. I have not had problems with email here at home but at work, which is also BS FA I always have problem.

By the way my landlord has Earthlink DSL in the same house, now using the same 2 pair line in from the street, and his speed is half of mine.

Update

Since my last outage, bad DSLAM?? CO problem (not sure of the term), I have had great service/connection. No problems no complaints, except for the newsgroup feed and that seems to be fixed. Speed is always the same 1228-1235 D 218 U. I will never go back to dialup at my present location. By the way now that I have changed my landlord 2Wire router to a Linksy BEFSR41 and got rid of the HPNA network and rewired the house in CAT5 Ethernet he has basically the same speed as me. He's happy.

Edit 4/30/11

I had BS/ATT DSL all along. I upgraded to the 3Mbs service a while ago. I moved and kept all the same services. The only problems I've had is some slow times. with that I call and ask for a supervisor and ask to have my line reset. I always get "did you do XYZ" and my reply is "It Is Not On My End" "Please reset my connection or cancel my service RIGHT NOW". With that they reset the line and I'm back to my good speeds. I then say Thank you and Have a good day.