AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by Sarentack See Profile

• Location: Lumberton,Lamar,MS
Good "AT&T DSL services have decent speeds and reliability"
Bad "Speeds do not go high enough."
Overall "Probably one of the top 5 ISPs out there."

·CableOne
I had the DSL Extreme 6 from AT&T and it was highly reliable where it never went down, it was a solid connection around the clock, quick speeds that rarely ever fluctuated any, Ive had many services and believe AT&T DSL service ranks as top 5 if not top 3 ISPs out there with the top ISPs being some of the local cable ISPs out there that can offer way more for the same price.

What I hated is AT&T seems to not improve on speeds by going any higher than 6 MBPS. The upload speed for me was 512 KBPS which was too low IMO.

One of the the biggest downsides to establishing service with AT&T though that made me steer clear of ordering service from them a 2nd time was the $100 prepayment thats non refundable in order to get $20 internet service from them, I was desperate but not desperate enough just to pay them $100 because I have no credit history. I think its stupid and causes them to lose many customers by doing this.

• Location: Lugoff,Kershaw,SC
Good "Local Tech"
Bad "DSL Tech Support is too far removed from the issues of last mile copper."
Overall "If your time is worth more than vague promos, go w/o AT&T."

*Pre Sales information*: misleading
*Install Co-ordination*: varies
*Connection reliability*: if it had only been reliable..
*Tech Support*: POTS and DSL go hand in hand but unfortunately neither
take ownership
*Services*: If you can convince the Help Desk to dispatched; your
friendly neighborhood ATT tech is of good cheer but after going half way
round the world...you're miserable.
*Value for money*: Since promo's and gimmicks are the rule for
attracting new business, one can not place a value based on money, since
my time is valuable, and since ATT does not value my time, there is no
value to ATT

I have in my possession 3 old DSL modems. Two Westell 6100 cicra 2005
and One Westell circa 2002.
I had upgrades along the course of my 10 years of service w/ a basic
phone line.
I had a grandfathered static IP 65.x.x.x
I had to fight to keep it for free.
I had to work w/ retention dept. so much I felt as if I knew them by name.
I had to be the one that cried foul that "line taps
" kept
Uverse/and DLS Extreme 6.0 unavailable to my location.
I had to have one last try to give ATT a chance to make it STICK (it
being get it right and keep it right)
They failed so often but when the sync rate falls to that of a 3 meg
package after 4 months of seeing almost 6 megs, and the one last call to
Helpless Desk. It was evident that I have too much time on my hands to
work for ATT any longer.

Goodbye.

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:
tazmo8448

join:2011-11-29
Columbia, SC

DSL in Lugoff

I am down US 1 west of you and also can not get U-verse and was wondering what AT&T service you had or have and what the mbps was, promised and actual. I see where you do not recommend it and would like to know if it is because of crappy customer service? or the actual speed of the internet falling down? I plan to use it if I can stream movies and do a little gaming on line.......whatta you think?
Sam~

Lugoff

@truvista.net

Re: DSL in Lugoff

Hello Sam,
I dont want to spend much time recapping my life w/ ATT. I moved away from the aggravation of doing their dirty work. Moved Cell to Straightalk, ported home phone and internet to cable.

Started w/ Bellsouth 1.5 and upgraded to 3.0 w/ static IP back in 2004.
ATT takes over and manages to half azz deploy U-verse to last mile copper in 09/10, yet this deployment had adverse effects on existing DSL customers camping on golden "out of contract" services.
In order to keep what services you had become accustomed to one had to call/wait on hold/speak Indglish/recant problem/get transferred/recant story/be disconnected *ironically* by THE phone company/call/ wait on hold/ speak Indglish/ recant problem/get transferred/ recant story/ get a ticket/ wait/ get a CS survey by email/ call/ wait on hold /speak Indglish/ reference ticket #/ wail on hold/ get transferred to USA/ speak normal/get updated ticket w/ ETA/ wait for line crew/ be at home/ watch line crew run off to DSLAM to take the alligator clips off one's pair to resolve one's issue.

Go ask you neighbor what he/she has. Then go ask the other neighbor what they have. If your West down Hwy 1 good chance infrastructure is upgrading twd. Elgin/NE Cola
Regards to your upcoming challenges.

Review by tferguson01 See Profile

• Location: Newnan,Coweta,GA
Good "Connection is ROCK SOLID!!!"
Bad "Takes a long time to get provisioned. Connection speeds outdated."
Overall "With no caps and a rock solid connection that is always on unlike cable it a good purchase."

With a great SUPER ROCK SOLID 3.0 connection it makes a great back up internet when Charter which is my primary internet provider goes down its great. Very responsive and I can always guarantee that is will always be there when i need it.

Was rock solid but hey its at&t they thing 3.0mbps connection is worth 42.95. Screw that.

Comments:

Review by Shootist See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast 1245D 218-238U"
Bad "Not enough info in setup package, on web page"
Overall "Good"

I NO Longer have ATT DSL. I no longer have anything from ATT.

I dropped my home service when they raised the price and tried to charge me $5 a month for Long Distance "Access", YES ACCESS. I twice had to call to get that charge removed and to ask that it never show on my bill again, I HAVE A CELL PHONE AND NEVER EVER MAKE LONG DISTANCE CALLS ON MY HOME LINE.

On the third month that charge showed up, after calling twice to get it removed FOREVER, I called again and CANCELED my home phone but kept my internet service.

Shortly after that I switch Cell providers to Virgin Mobile and couldn't be happier.

Then I got fed up with there SLOW DSL and switched to Comcast. Not that I like Comcast that much either but at least now I have good internet speeds both Down and Up.

ATT SUCKS AND IS GETTING WORSE.

BYE BYE.

I got DSL from BS about 2.5 month ago. I ordered it on as sunday over the net. They state that if you want to use a network you have to pay an extra $10.00 a month!! I have a small network, 2 PC's sitting on the same desk, 1 notebook, that is my main PC and to go back and forth to work and traveling, and a old, just upgraded to a P3 600, desktop. The thought of paying 10 buck more a month didn't set well so I decided to use a router at my own expence. I recieved the package on wednesday of the same week. plugged it in as was up and running. I did have problems setting up my network, but this was do to my ignorance. This is where they need better info on setting up a network and the package never mentioned that YOU DON'T have to use the supplied software. Now for the bad point. I had the service for about a week and a half and on sunday I had crackling on my phone, it was raining out so I though wait until tomorrow and if it doesn't stop to call BS. When I got home from work on monday I had no dial tone so I called BS and they said they would have someone out the next day and have it fixed by 6 PM. My landlord called me at work to tell me they were there. Not only did they not fix my problem they never checked my line. they ran a new line in for my landlord and wired my phone line in with a nieghbor 2 houses down the street and no DSL. I call BS FA and they told me to call the phone company, hey I pay for both PS and FA to BS they are the phone conpany. After many calls and bitching they had someone out the next morning to fix the problem they created then tried to charge me $90 to fix it.

Well all in all so far so good, It's a lot better than dialup. I have not had problems with email here at home but at work, which is also BS FA I always have problem.

By the way my landlord has Earthlink DSL in the same house, now using the same 2 pair line in from the street, and his speed is half of mine.

Update

Since my last outage, bad DSLAM?? CO problem (not sure of the term), I have had great service/connection. No problems no complaints, except for the newsgroup feed and that seems to be fixed. Speed is always the same 1228-1235 D 218 U. I will never go back to dialup at my present location. By the way now that I have changed my landlord 2Wire router to a Linksy BEFSR41 and got rid of the HPNA network and rewired the house in CAT5 Ethernet he has basically the same speed as me. He's happy.

Edit 4/30/11

I had BS/ATT DSL all along. I upgraded to the 3Mbs service a while ago. I moved and kept all the same services. The only problems I've had is some slow times. with that I call and ask for a supervisor and ask to have my line reset. I always get "did you do XYZ" and my reply is "It Is Not On My End" "Please reset my connection or cancel my service RIGHT NOW". With that they reset the line and I'm back to my good speeds. I then say Thank you and Have a good day.

Comments:

Review by oldduke See Profile

• Location: Milton,Santa Rosa,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Fast access is the only thing operating after a hurricane; good Internet access for a fair price"
Bad "Sales and help desk persons beyond frustration"
Overall "For the price this is a great deal."

2 Feb 12 - ATT wifi would not work right with my new Hp all-in-one computer. It dropped connection constantly and speed would drop to dial-up. Messed wtih ATT for 6 months. They said everthing was fine on their end. Finally gave up and ran an ethernet line across my floor and covered it with duct tape. Computer now runs >5K and never drops. Maybe the main computer has to be on the ethernet cable, I don't know. But the speed and solid connection beats hell out of Mediacon, our only other option and which I just canceled because their TV lineup sucked. DSL easily runs all the Netflix I want.

16 Oct 09 - nothing has changed from last post except my zip code.

25 Nov 08. Noticed some complaints about ATT SE on the forum. Not me. I get 5M+ and often 6M any time and have never seen it down. Help desk seems improved but depends a lot on the individual you get. ATT SE is still good value.

07Aug08. Bellsouth is now ATT Southeast. Not much difference. Some annoyances on install but good value and NEVER DOWN (are you listening Mediacom!). Compared to Mediacom, ATT SE is spectacular, so everything in perspective. I have the 6000 down package, and generally get in the high 5000's on my hardwired computer; upstream is 400. My 3 computers on a home wireless network are a little slower, about 3m down, but this is compared to the 300 down these units used to have with Sprint. Aside: Looks like a VRAD box across the street. Pleeeeeeeeze let it happen! Can't wait to dump Mediacom for U-verse.

25Feb07. Sales and tech support SUCK. But, Fastaccess is great! Had to change phone numbers and get new Fastaccess. Ordered 2 Jan 3k/386 home network. Followed up midmonth, New Delhi guy said I was scheduled for mid-June, even though I had a confirmation receipt for 9 Feb. On 12 Feb I did an install and tried to connect; no connect. Called New Delhi; no help; they would send out a tech for $80.. A Bellsouth tech came out 14 Feb and found the first instal to the house a couple of years ago connected Fastaccess to a single jack in a now unused room. Tech did something outside and Fastaccess was up and running nicely. No charge. EXCEPT - I had ordered home newwork, and the other computers would not sync. Called New Delhi again. After about 30 minutes of please-repeat-that-because-I-can't-understand-you, the fellow said my modem didn't support home network. I would have to order home network. Ok, "transfer me to billing, please." Answer, "Yes, I will do that, sir. (pause) Sir, billing is closed. You will have to call back during the week." GRRRRRRRRR.

So, after you get Fastaccess, it's great. Everything up to that sucks bigtime.

****************************************

26Dec06 - Still on 3000/384 hard wire home network. Still works as advertised. Still best deal around.

****************

Three weeks abo put in home networking and upgraded to 3000/384. The first 2wire modem was faulty. BS was remarkably ineffective in figuring that out. On the other hand, one tech was very good at getting 2wire to work on a Windows98 system. So, t's mixed. Also, two computers get all of my family email accounts, but MY account does not come up on MY computer. Maybe it's a Windows98 thing; the other two are XP. Once the bugs are worked out, I still think BS Fastaccess is a good deal.

*********************

I've been on Bellsouth DSL for about two years now and it's still great and still a bargain. I get 1.1M downstream consistently and it's always on. You must, however, 1) avoid the help desk in South Carolina and 2) apply every tweak dslreports suggests.

*********************

The help desk sites in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia have been very knowledgeable, and unbelievably patient. At the site in South Carolina, only one out of three has impressed me as knowledgeable; the rest were very polite. If you get a good rep that knows more than a flowchart, you get great service. If not, you're on the phone for a long time.///My Presario 1245/MSW98 notebook kept losing the modem driver. A help desk stepped me through turning off the virus scan, screen saver, etc. This also stopped a problem with losing sync.///The connection was only giving 550/256 at first against advertised "up to 1500/256", but some tweaks from dslreports got that up to 1100/256 rather painlessly. FastAccess really has to be "tuned."///The initial modem, a green thing with two eyes, failed pretty quick. Bellsouth techs came out right away, spent about four hours, and installed a line filter on the house and a different modem, SpeedStream 4060. (Both used the USB.)///SpeedStream worked for three or four months but failed a couple of days ago. Was told it would take 10 to 14 days to get a new one -- wrong! My wife finally muscled her way to a supervisor. Modem is now on overnight delivery. Gotta shove your way past the first tier of help desks and get to the supervisors.///Email addresses are limited to eight characters -- WTF! But, it is very fast and easy to use.///Since I have access to fast Internet at work and our local library, I wasn't interested if 56k. I signed up for ISPChannel though through MediaCom when it came out. There is no numeric value low enough to post how bad that experience was. Words like incompetent, totally wrong, screwed up, dumb as stumpwater, clueless -- just don't come close. I never did get ISPChannel and it was hell anyway. Long after I didn't get it they called and asked my how I liked it! Then Bellsouth put FastAccess in my neighborhood and, despite some difficulties, I'm very satisfied. What they're providing for $49/month is a bargain on my end.

member for 13.2 years, 871 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by boogieman77 See Profile

• Location: Ducktown,Polk,TN
Good "Low Cost."
Overall "Excellent"

Well after a long time of this asking for my review here goes. Ordered and live the next day. I got my modem and filters off ebay so I didnt get locked into a contract. I am on a extremely long loop so I do not get my full speed but that is understandable since I am nearly 4 miles from the dslam. Techs are great and very helpful. I know all my local techs and when dsl was first set up for me by one of them I knew not to expect the full speed. As it stands I get around 900/228k I can live with this as long as I can game online and download a song or two every once in a while. I have had only one downtime in the last 3 years, and it was due to the fiber feeding our area being cut. I would highly recommend Fastaccess to anyone over cable. Fast and reliable. I now have the westell 6100 modem bridged to a linksys wrt54gx router. The 6100 helped my download speeds by over 200k as before I had the westell 2100.

8-18-2009 Still going strong.

2-2-2012

Dumped Em For Cable Now On 50 Down 5 Up

member for 10.3 years, 1137 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by FunnyBoneSo See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "When it works it works great"
Bad "Upstream rarely approaches rated"
Overall "Cable speeds and prices are rapidly outpacing ADSL"

The shared bandwidth aspect of cable used to make ADD'L more appealing. Yet upstream bandwidth loading (Netflix) now impacts everyone. This and pricing of ADSL makes cable appealing. 6Mb ADSL service has been in place for years at $45/mo.

U-Verse sales contractors came through the area 2 years ago and lied about getting data connection w/o tv. Cost me a TELEGRAM to IA to cancel full install. Then the neighborhood never went to U-Verse.

Replaced my issued Westel several times now with my own H/W since Bell/AT&T refused to upgrade me. A ten year old box now.

Update 18jan2012

I broke down after another commercial grade HW failure (dsl modem/router) and replaced all of my NW HW with Cisco boxes; an X2000 modem/router/AP and a dual band E2500 router/AP. The E2500 has a bridged ethernet mode I'm using downstream of the X2000. Wow - the user interface alone is worth the upgrade - consistent 5.4Mb/0.42Mb connection on nodes attached at all points (nine nodes). The HW runs much cooler to the touch. Update in 30 days or less.

Comments:

Review by beldin See Profile

• Location: Union,Union,SC
Good "NLA"
Bad "NLA"
Overall "NLA"

·Charter
No longer a customer of ATT. This review no longer applies.

member for 8.2 years, 1713 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by seaborn See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Its available."
Bad "Its slow, and they wont offer anything over 1.5 mb/s"
Overall "Very obvious they are lying about availablity of speeds."

I moved to a new sub-division that didnt have cable so I had to go with DSL. At&t 1.5 Mbps is the fastest they stated was available to me and also has a 150gb limit. I called several times trying to get a knowledgeable tech to tell me when higher speeds would be available. All stated they did not know. About three weeks ago the cable company finally arrived and wired the sub-division with fiber and offered 30Mbps with no limit. The next day At&t called stating they had just upgraded there lines and can now offer 6 Mbps. Nice try.

Comments:

Review by davidw8 See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Connectivity sporadic with slow downloads."
Bad "Biggest complaint now is their pop & smtp server consolidation with yahoo.com"
Overall "AT&T connectivity and email is getting worse every day."

In the past three weeks internet connectivity as well as email reliability is poor. Overall connectivity over the past six months has been good.

Pop and smtp servers since using att.yahoo.com has been absolutely disastrous. Customer service actually lied to me saying that it was my email client. I use several on multiple pc's and macs so I knew that it was their problem not mine.

Finally got to speak with AT&T senior tech and he admitted major problems with their pop & smtp yahoo.com servers. In his words, it is close to an outage.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with AT&T or Advanced Cable Communications which has an exclusive contract here in Weston, FL until 2013.