AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by dig_it See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Always on........................"
Bad "tech support"
Overall "Best dsl out there"

Been on bellsouth for 2 1/2 yrs now, took about 14 days to be up and running from date of order. I was simply put shocked by the installation setup it was too easy, speed was awesome.....and I've never been down 1 minute......tech support I hear maybe needs alittle fine tuning.....Running with my speed touch home modem , PPPOE ....since I've added another computer and linksys router and went wireless. All in all I would recommend Bellsouth dsl .........

2/19/2005 Now I've had the Bellsouth extreme sevice since it came out and I'm very pleased with it , never have had any down time , always running Bellsouth rocks for me.................

member for 12.9 years, 757 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by netwire See Profile

• Location: Forest City,Rutherford,NC
Good "Good speed"
Bad "Nothing yet..."
Overall "Fastest service offered in my area."

Moved to a new address and had 6.0mbps service installed. I'm getting between 5.1mbps and 6.3mbps. So far, so good.

member for 13.3 years, 3083 visits, last login: 166 days ago

Comments:

Review by thatissick See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Stable, Low latency"
Bad "Upload speed. CAPS AS OF 05/2011"
Overall "Good service for cheap...if you go into 12-month commitment."

·Verizon Broadban..
I thought about cable, but anything higher than 1.5mbps was about 40 dollars and higher, and ATT 6.0 DSL was 20 dollars so I chose that. It took 10 days though to get my line wired for DSL, pretty long wait. But once activated and registered, everything went smooth. I have no issues whatever, and no slowdowns during peak periods.

EDIT: I left, so I don't have this anymore. But now they require a 12-month commitment (contract) to get that 20 dollar price. Plus the intro of caps ain't such a good thing.

Comments:

Review by jims2321 See Profile

• Location: Oviedo,Seminole,FL
Good "progress eventually does come to rural areas"
Bad "constant calls for prolong outages"
Overall "marginal service at premium price, but when you have no choice"

Bellsouth finally put the DSLAM in our area. Problem is, the area is under constant, and I do mean constant construction. I average 2 to 3 service calls per month, due to outages and connectivity. It has gotten to the point, that CSR just roll trucks and start checking pedestals in the area, inevitably it turns out to be some contractor backover, dug out or failed to close them.

10/7/11 -- Its been a few years since I review AT&T service in my area. And while AT&T did roll out Uverse to the area, once again our area will not receive it. The construction in the area settled down, along with the continual outages. Now when we get an outage it more like a CO issue. Prices have increased, speeds have decreased. Alas with no competition this will probably not change.

_______________________________________________________
Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite
Visit »freelane.excite.com/freeisp

Comments:

Review by michieru See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Cost for the speed of service, and no leasing of hardware like Comcast"
Bad "Ever since we got the 2Wire modem service has been garbage"
Overall "Cheap broadband and speed, use your own hardware to make reliable"

·Comcast Business..
The 2Wire home networking modem keeps going in an out, before hand we had a Zyxel ADSL2+ modem installed which never failed us. I plan to revert back to that and change my POS linksys router to a D-Link DIR-628.

The good thing is that services are cheap compared to really any other carrier including cable in my area.

Comments:

Review by sven_kirk3 See Profile

• Location: Lithia Springs,Douglas,GA
Good "Great price (for new customers)"
Bad "Navigating their website for info is almost impossible sometimes"
Overall "Happy so far (1 day in[10-15-10])"

Found the article (»AT&T Apologizes For Dry Loop DSL Ordering Hassles) to get a great price.
I ordered the 6 Meg for $20 on 10-8-10, went live on 10-15-10.
Got an email shortly after sign-up. It said I did not have to be there.
By chance, I got off of work in time to catch the the tech at my house because he needed to do some inside work also because I had no NID.
Tech basically had to do a full install from the pole and install a NID.
No provided equipment, I had a spare Motorola 2210 from previous service.

09-21-11
Almost a year later. No outages or anything.

Comments:

Review by Buttset See Profile

• Location: Ladson,Berkeley,SC
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Not available everywhere"
Overall "Good product!"

I feel I must state that I am an ADSL Installer (if there is such a thing) for BellSouth. I have worked for BellSouth for 29 years and have been a "home computer" user/programmer/game player etc. since 1984 (my first "PC" was an Atari 400, 16K RAM, Tape drive...nice toy!)

I have been installing ADSL in Charleston, SC, since its been available, here, about 3 years ago. The first install was for a college student on a Mac using OS 8.5 . Back "then", all installs where "bridged" and an installer was required. With the advent of PPP self-installs, ADSL has expanded very quickly, and I've seen a lot of problems and happily, solutions! Enough about me... but as a "reviewer", I felt I had to be up front.

My connection is right where it should be! Now I can "view" the Web as it should be. Updates/downloads are VERY fast! I ran CNET's Catchup and updated ALL my software in a very short time. Can't slap the grin off my face!

April 11, 2006

To update my original review, I now have had FA ADSL CONTINUOSLY since my first review, and I and am now starting my 33rd year at BellSouth. I've increased my connection up to the 6.0Mb (8128/512) service. Loving every minute of it!

As a tech, I've still see some really dumb things happen to and by our customers. But as for the service itself, I think it's getting better all the time.

December 12, 2007

To respond about the "value", I am paying about $32 with fees. I wasn't trying to throw anyone off, it's just me not paying attention to what the heck I'm typing.

The service has been OUTSTANDING! Still going strong with very little or no problems. I'm not sure how the U-verse system will affect Broadband usage, but I'll be giving that a try when it's available here.

January 2, 2009

Unwavering service. Connection still rock solid. Working for the same telephone company, but now it's name is AT&T. Note: The company I started working for in 1973! Now 36 years and I still at it. U-Verse is still not here, and it probably won't be before retirement.

If you want an excellent connection you can rely on, the get ADSL.

September 19, 2011

Luckily for me, my ADSL service is rock solid. I live less than 5K feet from the DSLAM, and I know the plant, system and how it works. A major advantage.

AT&T has severely hurt themselves in most customer's eyes. The "help desk" is horrible and getting a tech dispatched is next to impossible. Most of the customer's I get to see are NOT happy with the service or the way they are treated. It's a shame. It doesn't have to be.

I plan on retiring on or before July 2012. Good luck to the employees and customers after the next Union contract. It's not going to be pretty.

member for 12.7 years, 867 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by GDATL See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Solid Consistency (2001-2007 and 2009-2010)"
Bad "Drops and Inconsistency (2008)"
Overall "Excellent Service from Tier 2 and Field Techs"

On 9/72011, I switched from AT&T DSL to AT&T Uverse, so this is my last update for AT&T DSL Southeast.

2011 Events and Summary
----------------------------------
In July and August, had a lot of drops (slow speeds and modem frequently dropping "sync.") An onsite technician replaced the modem, but the problem still occurred. He found a bad splitter, replaced it and the connection improved. I continued to see a few problems, but suspect that is because the nearest DSLAM was being replaced and relocated due to road construction.

2009-2010 Summary
------------------------
Absolutely no problems since those reported in 2008. Solid ever since, and good speed on my 6MB service. Would consider U-Verse for internet, phone and to replace Comcast Digital Cable TV if it were offered! However, I am at the end of the line, and it is not available.

2008 Summary
---------------------
A few problems left me less than 100% satisfied in 2008.

In the first half of 2008, I had 2 instances where service was disrupted for hours. Calls to AT&T's tech support line were frustrating until I reached Tier 2 support technicians. Once that happened, service was restored quickly in both cases.

In October, my download speeds became extremely slow (1K) despite upload speeds still good. For 5 straight days, my DSL service went up and down. I called tech support 3 times (very helpful support reps from Birmingham AL & Metairie LA), and had 3 technicians onsite (2 were AT&T contractors and 1 was an AT&T employee). I was never told what was done but it was a problem outside of my house because the problem was that I was constantly losing "sync"

One benefit of the October problem was that AT&T replaced my DSL modem with a 2Wire modem. (It was not installed until several days after service was restored, so the modem was not the problem!) Since the 2Wire includes wi-fi, I no longer need the additional D-Link wireless routers, simplifying my network configuration. The modem was installed on 10/17 and works fine.

2007 Summary and Upgrade to 6MB Service
--------------------------------------------------------------
Upgraded to 6MB service in January. I'm at the end of the line for the nearest DLSAM, so I know that I am not gonna get highest speeds. ATT provided a new Westell 6100 DSL modem/router and I added a Linksys 16 port switch. Upgrade went smoothly with no service interruption. Results have been good speed, solid connection. Kept my static IP address and added networking support.

Later in 2007, the name has changed, (Bellsouth to AT&T) but as long as I don't have to change my bellsouth.net email addresses, I'm OK with that. Continued good service. I did have a brief disruption a few weeks ago, but service was restored fairly quickly with a call to tech support.

2006 Summary
--------------------
No complaints, solid service continued, no need to call tech support, monthly price has been reduced. Still waiting for 6MB service to be available at my address..

2005 Summary
----------------------
Absolutely no complaints. Service has been rock solid (even in my neighborhood with overhead copper wires for distribution). I have had no reason to call for technical support, so can't evaluate tech support. Will upgrade to new 6MB service as soon as it is available.

2004 Summary, Events and Upgrade to 3MB Service
-----------------------------------------------------------
In April 2004, I upgraded to 3MB FastAccess service. After upgrade, speed test shows 2400/300. Still use Alcatel STH and Linksys BEFSR41.

In June 2004, a thunderstorm took out a tree in my front yard and along with it took out all my utilities (electrical, phone, cable TV). Despite a very busy day, Georgia Power had electricity restored within 20 hours. This was a major job - required me to hire an electrician to do a lot of work on the house itself, then get a new meter installed, new entrance line into house and new line from pole to house plus a county electrical inspection - was a miracle it all got done in 20 hours! My insurance company helped expedite the work.

BellSouth restored phone service and DSL within 30 hours (required new underground line from pole to house). Comcast Cable TV service required 6 days to even show up, although they did restore service with only one visit. Wonder if they would have been any faster if I had broadband cable??? Thanks GA Power and BellSouth - great service!

No need to call tech support other than for the upgrade and storm repair. Service was excellent.

2003 Events:
---------------------
In February, added D-Link wireless router and all worked fine.

In March, service was down for 3 hours (this was an area-wide outage). Contacted tech support and response was adequate.

In October, there were a few days where where connection speed slowed consistently, but it was restored. Never able to identify a cause for certain.

2003 February, After 1 year of service:
-----------------------------------------------
In 1st year of service, solid connection and consistent speed (1200+ up/ 200+ down).

2002 Initial DSL Installation Review:
--------------------------------------------------------
Ordered BellSouth FastAccess DSL 1.5MBPS service on 1/24. Line provisioned on 1/28 and self-install kit with Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem received 1/30. I installed on 2/7, connecting through a Linksys Router. There was a line problem, but a phone call to Bellsouth revealed that there was a CO line problem that was fixed in 15 minutes, while the technician stayed on the line.

Initial installation summary: ) Prompt order fulfillment; 2) Helpful technical support; and 3) Easy installation; 4) Fast line speed; 5) Quick problem resolution.

Note: Thanks mykel8, for your helpful writeup on networking BellSouth FastAccess with the Linksys router...and for your reply to my questions!

Comments:

Review by kestrylx See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,Scott,KY
Good "Good for 5 years"
Bad "Horrible the past 2.5 weeks"
Overall "Technical support is horrible."

I've had a great experience with AT&T for about 5 years but recently started getting spotty connectivity. My service will work fine 90% of the time but then will suddenly drop to around dial-up speeds from anywhere between 5-6 seconds to around 5 minutes. Shorter times of slow speeds are more common.

When I call tech support and describe the issue they fail to find any problems after sending me through the same hooplah time and time again. I have been asked to call back when I am having the problems so that they can further investigate the issue. However, once the problems begin occurring and I call, wait on hold for 20 minutes, all issues have subsided.

Comments:

Review by peterponds See Profile

• Location: Lula,Hall,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "nothing good about ATT"
Bad "everything"
Overall "ATT is a company that needs to go away"

update 8-29-11 ATT is the worst company in america. just call with a problem and you will see that i am right

Update: July 09 went back for about 8 months (HSI only) because they were cheaper than comcast, about $48 vs 62.
1) installation was w/o problem
2) connection was perfect, almost never down or slow
3) rebate never came, but that was no surprise.
to sum it up... great connection at the present time in this area, just don't believe their promotions.

Fast and furious when it's working. But 3 problems.
1 Connection goes to sleep for periods of up to 60 seconds, won't connect to anything when asleep.
2 Won't connect to anything with windows media player, they'll lie to you about this.
3 NO connection now for 18 days after some "upgrading" of the system. I believe the verdict will be bad modem when I finally get the tech to the house. But I'm hearing similar stories from others with BS DSL ( blinking line synch light on the modem front panel with a good signal to the house) Did they upgrade our modems out fo existance?

june 05: it was the modem back then. it took them 5 weeks (that's right, 5 weeks)
to get me a new one, so i was w/o broadband for over a month. thsy tried to charge me for a new modem even though original was still within warrantee period.
They billed me for DSL for the period i was w/o service even though i called ahead telling them not to. After bill received it took 4 calls to straighten it out and instead of "we're sorry, we;ll fix it right away" they argued with me, resisted refund, and i never did gat a full refund for the 5 weeks w/o service. they still kept some of my $.
BellSouth still treats it's customers like it's a monopoly.
They finally put cable internet in here, so i switched to adelphia(soon to be comcast) and added vonage. now i'm 3 times as fast, cheaper(for the combimation of hsi and voip, vs.dsl and pots) and happier.
i have a bellsouthfree household. ain't competition great?
So far(3 months) cable connection works flawlessly, and is fast as hell(almost 5 megs down)