AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by ncbill See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Cheap, cheap, cheap"
Bad "Only 768"
Overall "Get it if you can, if only for backup"

I had 6 meg cable broadband that cost me $45/month and never used the bandwidth!

I ordered AT&T's 768 "DSL Lite w/ term agreement" the day it became available.
(term agreement is 12 months, with a $50 early termination fee)

The $75 DSL modem/router & install kit came 3 days later.

I used the DSL splitter in the self-install kit to separate voice and DSL lines outside at the customer interface, so I don't need to use DSL filters on the phones inside.

I get about 650 down and 100 up.

I plan on keeping this as long as it remains $10/month, which is at least through 12/31/2009.

UPDATE:

Price raised to $20 in early 2010 - still only 768KB.

Will probably dump this for cable ($30/month for 6 months) or Clear WiMax ($40/month).

UPDATE:

Still using as of summer 2011.

1.5 down for $15/month.

Rock solid reliable, but slow (looks like no one locally can get more than 1.5 down, probably because of U-Verse coming)

UPDATE:

Still using as of spring 2012.

They still offer it for $15/month (up to 3MBps down)

My line still only provisions for 1.5, but I'll keep it forever as long as I can get this price (it now looks like U-Verse will NEVER come to this area)

UPDATE:

Summer, 2014:

Finally provisioned for 6MBps down, but the cost is $50/month!

Unexpected outage last month of nearly a full week.

Getting ready to switch over to 15MBPs down cable broadband ($35/month).

member for 7.6 years, 1353 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by youngerberry See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "Great."
Bad "none."
Overall "Good service, just a few glitches."

·New Wave Communi..
Well, it's been a good ride with very few problems. Since I had some tree damage to the drop I now have slowdowns during rain, but not always.

Still have crawling speed when thunderstorms are around.

Update. Finally got a home run installed and fixed the slowdown during wet weather. Back to a happy camper.
Still going strong. Service slow at night for a week or so but fixed now. Still a h
appy camper.

Still good service. 04/13/2012.

member for 13.1 years, 8195 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cubguy See Profile

• Location: Aberdeen,Monroe,MS
Good "Poor Service (Only Service Available besides satellite)"
Bad "Many Bounces, Weather causes sync issues, Consistent disconnects"
Overall "Sad that a company would allow this service to represent their "Best Effort""

I currently don't have any options for broadband. At&t IS no longer dropping fiber here, and service quality has consistently declined over the past 12 months. We are almost to the end of the copper line and where I could once consistently reach 83% of promised high end speeds of 3.0 and the full upload speed, now seldom do I have half of that.

I do have one peeve though. It seems that AT&T cant seems to overcome the sync issues associated with local or distant weather. If it even thunders in my area, I lose sync for about 30-45 seconds. I upgraded to a 2-Wire modem because I thought it was the Westell on my end and it improved some, but it still happens. With the last weather even on 4/28, the service has degraded almost everyday during daylight hours but miraculously seems to recover around 8pm.

»www.speedtest.net/result/972209297.png

Comments:

Review by timcuth See Profile

• Location: Pelham,Shelby,AL
Good "Extreme 3 is more reliable than ever"
Bad "No speed upgrades, ever. 3 mbps is not enough in today's world."
Overall "Good, solid connection"

·Charter
UPDATE 10-APR-2014

I have dropped this service, switching to cable. It became apparent that modern speed upgrades were never going to come to my neighborhood. I now feel like I held on to DSL too long, and it wish I had switched, sooner.

UPDATE 14-NOV-2013

Price has gone up, no change in service. U-Verse will apparently never be available in my neighborhood. I am considering switching to cable internet, but I really hate the cable company. However, they offer much faster connection speeds.

UPDATE 31-JAN-2013

Still no changes. 3 mbps service is still good, while 6 mbps is no longer offered to me. I cannot get U-Verse service, either.

UPDATE: 7-FEB-2011

Not much has changed since my 2009 update. I'm still using the old Westell 6100 and I still have a solid connection. No news is good news, I guess.

UPDATE: 20-DEC-2009

Motorola 2210 burned up and I replaced it with old Westell 6100; connection is now very reliable. Speeds are very good for my service level. AT&T switched to Yahoo! web mail and it is really awful. I am now using a paid web host for my email service. Tech Support is also awful - when you call with a problem, they want to talk about and do anything except something to do with your problem.

UPDATE: 5-Sep-2008

I had to go back to Extreme 3. 6 dropped sync too often. The good news is that I stayed on ADSL 2 instead of g.dmt and my connection is now very stable.

UPDATE: 13-Feb-2008

After years of waiting, I was finally able to order Extreme 6 service. First speed test gave 5119 down and 424 up.

I gave up on the email and went to a paid email host. Bellsouth's spam filtering lets through too many spams and filters out too many good messages, so I was spending all my time separating my email.

member for 14 years, 6204 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
scottwn

join:2004-06-07
Birmingham, AL

AT&T

I have just done the same thing in Hoover. I was paying about $80 a month for 18mb Uverse...now I'm getting twice the speed for half the cost.

Review by CrippleFight See Profile

Overall "its ok so far"

·WOW Internet and..
works fine

member for 13.1 years, 2410 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by dandeman See Profile

• Location: Chapel Hill,Orange,NC
Good "Continues to be reliable 6mb DSL to 6mb U-Verse HSI"
Bad "None."
Overall "Very reilable service."

Service continues to be very reliable. I suspect I may be getting some benefit from the fact that I believe the node I'm served by also supports some business critical users. During the recent ice storm and multi-day loss of power, they got the emergency generators to the site to keep it up and running before the batteries expired.

6mb U-Verse HSI is a vast improvement for me over the old 6mb DSL (bellsouth era, ATM Network). It had got to the point it was impossible to stream any video (youtube, etc) over the old DSL any time except in the morning when backbone loading is lighter. With the U-Verse I can view videos during prime time without hic-cups.. Also the upstream speeds with 6mb offering are around 766kbps versus 512kbps.. important for access to my home automation/security system.

04/01/13 Update: got the email notice that my old (BellSouth era) 6.0mb DSL service was going to go from $43 to $46 per month.. Checked and found U-Verse HSI is now available at my location and decided it was time to upgrade.

Put the order in on 3/26 got the NVG510 on 3/29 with 4/01 as the planned installed date.. Tech called Monday that he was coming out to switch over the line at the DSLAM and came to the house to replace the NID, which was quite old.. Tested to make sure the line was good and waited to see that the modem came up.. He really went the extra mile and tested the line again through the home run inside the house to make sure everything was clean..

Excellent install experience, great tech!. I would only hope that AT&T management would appreciate that good techs can make all the difference in the world in how customers perceive the company.
-------------------------------
09/26/12 Update: About 3 weeks ago, my normally fast 6.0MB service started degrading to as low as 100-300 kilobit intermittently during the day.

I've been using VisualWare "My Connection Business Edition" Connection Analysis Software to see what is going on.... So far I've seen ATT backbone routers with up to 77% packet loss, excessive IP Forced Idles, depending on the route taken through ATTs backbone network.. At other times performs very close to rated speed I'm paying for.. I hope this isn't permanent for ATTs remaining DSL customers..

03/04/12 Update: My local DSLAM has been upgraded... was able to upgrade to 6mb down/512kb DSL; new IP-DSLAM (or UVERSE, not sure which it will be) is on site... Tech support during upgrade was great. Connection reliability, tech support review ratings raised from experience.

11/10/11 Update: Dropping the ratings down over the ongoing intermittent connections errors with yahoo email.. Some could say well that's Yahoo's problem.. but AT&T has to get the credit for choice to outsource email to unreliable provider..

I switched my outgoing email service to DynDNS outbound mail hop for only 20 bucks a year, and secured gmail email names I like, in case I need to drop use of all my old bellsouth.net email accounts..

10/03/2010 Update: Email seems to have settled down and more or less works OK. Client email software still gets intermittent log in failure, but just ignore as I know it's timing/loading in their system.

EMail Servers are unreliable since changeover to Yahoo...

Connection is now rock solid since long term problem referenced below was fixed.

Only 3 line drops (in the normal range) since 5/29. No drops since 07/01/09 and counting.. 8MB download/512KB upload sync rate.. (capped in 1.5mb as that's the service I pay for.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After quite a long period of problematic disconnects, my DSL has gone back to rock solid since 5/29/09. Only 2 disconnects have occurred since then. Can't say for sure that is what fixed it, but I did see techs spending a good part of a day working out at my DSLAM 1/2 mile away.

My modem and local loop (at the house and down our private road) were not touched.. The local loop connections inside the telco cab/DSLAM which may have been worked on..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local DSL Loop work just fine, but very frequent disconnects.

AT&T BellSouth is no longer in the rock solid category... There are periods that it is rock solid and then there will be periods (mostly weekends) that reoccuring PADT commands are sent to knock down connection....

Since my DSL modem is set up to automatically reconnect, it does so.. but sometimes it continually cycles through connects/disconnect sequences.. and then it will run rock solid other times..

I have IP address monitoring software so I have date and time stamps every time they knock down the dynamic IP connection.

member for 12.7 years, 5387 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tekman222ps See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Butts,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "consistent speeds and uptime"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service, no real problems"

Over the last 5 years, I have had 1.5, 3.0, 6.0, and now back to 3.0 since I moved to a new location that does not yet support 6.0 service. Through it all, and with all tiers of speeds the service has been rock solid. The few times that I did encounter a loss of sync were dealt with promptly.

Update 07/09 - Still going strong. Supplied modem (Motorola) died, replaced with a Netopia and all is good...

Update 8/6/11 - Still no issues - as reliable as ever although with my current position at my job (I work remotely) - the 150GB cap is going to be hard to manage. Unfortunately I do not have any other options at this time

Update 10/23/12 - Still no issues - wish I could get faster speeds.....

Update 2/26/13 - Still wishing for faster speeds - no other options at my address. I am stuck in the slow age

member for 10.9 years, 4656 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Choices

You don't have any other choices? How about Time Warner or Comcast? I have uverse max 12/2 and haven't had any issues so far with the 250gb data cap.

Review by Gizmo See Profile

• Location: Palm Coast,Flagler,FL
Good "Fast & reliable connection and it was a prompt & efficient installation..."
Overall "Awesome - good bang for the buck....!"

I have been with BellSouth ADSL ( now AT&T) since 1999 and I have had nothing but good reliable service! I've only had to call tech support several times and they have, for the most part, been responsive to my questions.

I'm at 80% of the advertised speed of 3000kbps down/384kbps up.

AT&T replaced my 2Wire modem with an Netgear 7550 modem free of charge and no contract. I will eventually move to U-Verse.

I'm having a great time, great speed, and great overall service. Still no complaints from me after 14 years!

member for 14 years, 5633 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tel See Profile

• Location: Mauldin,Greenville,SC
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Not a thing so far"
Overall "Excellent Service"

I have 6meg internet and am on the 32meg profile. I am able to view 4HD channels at the same time. With the 6MB internet I can and have streamed HD movies from Amazon with no problem.

I have had AT&T Uverse now for 2 years and as opposed to Charter where my service was out weekly, I have yet to experience an outage on my TV or internet. Others have reported pixelating or tearing especially on sporting events. I have yet to experience any of these and the picture quality is comparible to Charter cable.

After all these years I finally had a problem...the DVR died. I had a new DVR in hand the next day and it took me every bit of 10 minutes installing it, most of that unpacking it. The only problem I had was spending the next month getting the extra $125 taken off my bill because someone put it in as an upgrade and not a defective unit. Finally after 8 emails and 5 phone calls it was removed.

member for 12.9 years, 4463 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tonystewart See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Reliable Fast U Verse Service"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Stable Connection"

13+ Years with Bellsouth/ AT&T internet services.
4.7 years with Uverse & now with the 45 mb service.
Speed is very fast and very consistent, connectivity is excellent & reliable.
The Motorola Uverse Modem/Router NVG589 has good WiFi range and good speed (N) .
It is connected to a UPS, it works consistently.
The 45 meg service is $76 per month.